Forum Jump: 

post #3511 of 17986 Old 12-22-2012, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidas6350 View Post

I'm also experiencing the HISS problem on my setup. Oppo 103 connected directly to an amp and the hiss level is also constant (not affected by the volume control). Also when listening to music, there's this popping sound everytime the song change to the next one. It is quiet when the volume is 0 or muted, and also when PAUSE.
I found this thread trying to find a solution, if there's one, can someone please direct me to it. Thank you.

Could you email Oppo about it? They say there is not much they can do since I am the only person with the issue. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 17986 Old 12-22-2012, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I doubt they are saying you are the only one experiencing the issue since Edmund in the BDP-105 thread had a long conversion with OPPO about his BDP-103 prior to him going with the BDP-105. My guess is that they are saying that they have not been able to reproduce your errors and that they have not had players returned direct to them so they could verify if the errors are specific defects or certain or a general design implementation in the player.
post #3513 of 17986 Old 12-22-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMachine View Post

The spike is only on the analog audio out, which is why you wouldn't have this. It seems this player is excellent for people doing digital only (HDMI for audio).

I have not experienced any spikes on the analog of my BDP-103. Are there specific discs that elicit this behavior or is this constant?

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #3514 of 17986 Old 12-22-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch47d View Post

Why can't I get LPCM DTS-MA 7.1 to my receiver?
The front panel display on the 103 shows DTS-MA, but it's only sending 5.1 to my receiver.

Ensure that you have Secondary Audio set to OFF and not ON under Audio Format Setup.

Disconnect the HDMI cable between the receiver and the display.

Connect HDMI 1 to the display and HDMI 2 to the receiver.

Do you have the same issue?
post #3515 of 17986 Old 12-22-2012, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickeymint View Post

If your only using the 103 for bluray and DVD do you still have to factory reset after each firmware update?

Personnaly I don't do a factory reset after a firmware upgrade. But if anything does not seem to be working as it should, I'll jump on the reset before asking questions! :-)
post #3516 of 17986 Old 12-22-2012, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esrogoz View Post

Hello. I have a new OPPO 103 EU.

A few days ago I updated the firmware to the latest version available BDP10XEU-38-1211 (the previous version that had 10XEU-32-0921).

Since then, I have a serious problem. When you try to play some movies in MKV format by network (SMB/CIFS with Windows 7), charging begins but stays at 25% load around 5 minutes. Then the film starts. This not happens with all movies, only with some. With my previous firmware, all the movies was beginning very quickly.
Every day I find some movies in mkv format, from my collection, that are affected by this huge delay. All are reproduced normally before.
Thanks.

You should try some of these files on a USB Key or drive to see if they work without going through the network. It might make a difference.
Esrogoz likes this.
post #3517 of 17986 Old 12-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi,

I was watching the movie Total Recall 2012 and there is a sound lag. This movie is a rental from Blockbuster. The audio is a little off. I recently updated the firmware to BDP10XEU-38-1211.

Is there a way to upload to the previous firmware?

Thanks for any advice!
post #3518 of 17986 Old 12-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post

Hi,
I was watching the movie Total Recall 2012 and there is a sound lag. This movie is a rental from Blockbuster. The audio is a little off. I recently updated the firmware to BDP10XEU-38-1211.
Is there a way to upload to the previous firmware?
Thanks for any advice!
Advice? Read the preceding posts from today and yesterday in this very thread. wink.gif

(Hint: your 103 is just fine.)
post #3519 of 17986 Old 12-22-2012, 07:16 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Ensure that you have Secondary Audio set to OFF and not ON under Audio Format Setup.

I don't have an HDMI cable going from the receiver to the display.
I'm running video from HDMI1, directly to the display, and audio is from HDMI2 to the receiver.

It does not make any difference, when I switch from secondary audio off, to on or vice versa.
post #3520 of 17986 Old 12-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

Advice? Read the preceding posts from today and yesterday in this very thread. wink.gif
(Hint: your 103 is just fine.)

Thanks!!
post #3521 of 17986 Old 12-22-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I haven't read this entire thread, but I pretty carefully skimmed about 40 pages or so, and I could not find an answer to this question: is there a consensus as to whether using the split a/v provides a better picture than sending video from the BDP-103 through the AVR? The Oppo manual kind of suggests that the only reason to use the split a/v is if you're watching 3D and your AVR is not 3D compatible, but it is not clear if this is the only reason to use the split a/v. I have also read some comments in this thread regarding technical issues with the split a/v, but I haven't really seen anything on whether running the video signal directly to the display is preferable for picture quality from blu-ray discs, for example.

FWIW, my display is a JVC RS-1 projector, and I have a Pioneer Elite AVR that is about 5 years old. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
post #3522 of 17986 Old 12-22-2012, 09:30 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
I have a network share on Win7 x64. User "Everyone" has full permissions and my Android phone and my friend's Macbook Pro can access the share easily and without inputting a password (as I want). I can see the share on Oppo; however, it asks for a username and password. I tried inputting my username and password, as well as "guest" with no password, but to no avail. Has anyone had any luck? My 103 is on ethernet connected to the router and my share is from my PC connected via wi-fi.

I'm having the same problem.....weird, I have no problem connecting to a couple of laptops on the same wireless network. As a workaround, I just use a 32GB thumb drive to play the music files I'm trying to access on the network.....
post #3523 of 17986 Old 12-22-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:

I just tried a SD disk with a DTS-ES 6.1 track.

When the 103 is set to LPCM, it sends out 5.1 via HDMI multi-channel in.
When set to auto, or bitstream, it sends out 6.1 discrete bitstream to the AVR.

I also tried VUDU 7.1 DD+, both in LPCM and bitstream.
In either, the 103 sends 5.1 to the AVR.
post #3524 of 17986 Old 12-22-2012, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post

I haven't read this entire thread, but I pretty carefully skimmed about 40 pages or so, and I could not find an answer to this question: is there a consensus as to whether using the split a/v provides a better picture than sending video from the BDP-103 through the AVR? The Oppo manual kind of suggests that the only reason to use the split a/v is if you're watching 3D and your AVR is not 3D compatible, but it is not clear if this is the only reason to use the split a/v. I have also read some comments in this thread regarding technical issues with the split a/v, but I haven't really seen anything on whether running the video signal directly to the display is preferable for picture quality from blu-ray discs, for example.
FWIW, my display is a JVC RS-1 projector, and I have a Pioneer Elite AVR that is about 5 years old. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I'm also interested to hear if anyone has tried some comparisons. I have a few days off so I'm going to do some tests myself. I will try the split/av and also try using using HDMI 2 out as someone mentioned that HDMI 1 was doing some NR. I'll let ya know how I go!
post #3525 of 17986 Old 12-23-2012, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch47d View Post

I just tried a SD disk with a DTS-ES 6.1 track.
When the 103 is set to LPCM, it sends out 5.1 via HDMI multi-channel in.
When set to auto, or bitstream, it sends out 6.1 discrete bitstream to the AVR.
I also tried VUDU 7.1 DD+, both in LPCM and bitstream.
In either, the 103 sends 5.1 to the AVR.

Interesting, somehow the Oppo is being told by your AVR that it is only a 5.1 system.

I have tested with Oppo set at LPCM and played 7.1 LPCM, TrueHD and DTS-HD MA discs and they all played at 7.1.

Did not try a DD 6.1 disc but am sure it will be ok also!
post #3526 of 17986 Old 12-23-2012, 03:56 AM

Quote:

I doubt they are saying you are the only one experiencing the issue since Edmund in the BDP-105 thread had a long conversion with OPPO about his BDP-103 prior to him going with the BDP-105. My guess is that they are saying that they have not been able to reproduce your errors and that they have not had players returned direct to them so they could verify if the errors are specific defects or certain or a general design implementation in the player.

smile.gif Actually they said they had one other person reporting the issue but since he did not buy direct from Oppo they could not investigate his player on return. I am struggling to see how they cannot reproduce this in their lab. It seems not to be an issue with just my player as now I believe its up to about 6 people reporting this. In fact I have only see 1 person direct connected to an amp who is not reporting the issue. Is there some more scientific way I can show this... perhaps using a multimeter? If I go into the test tones for example in the player and test the RS if I were to use the multimeter to test the FL I should have no output but I am assuming the hiss will produce output (hiss is on all channels). I don't know much about how to use the multimeter so someone would have to explain to me where to put the leads and what setting I should be trying. (I actually bought the multimeter because my Emotiva processor died and their tech support was able to walk me through testing some things over email so they could send me replacement parts!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

I have not experienced any spikes on the analog of my BDP-103. Are there specific discs that elicit this behavior or is this constant?

Its not discs, it on powerup and handshake on the HDMI1 In. I have my PS3 plugged into HDMI1 in on the back of the Oppo. When I power up the PS3, or when it changes resolution (both of these things are doing an HDMI handshake) there will be a loud pop.. especially on turning on the PS3. So loud I worry about damage to the speakers (and my hearing). Again it might only be a minor pop if you are connected through a pre-amp or a receiver but direct connect to the amp its very bad.

Thanks for all the help and replies. I'm hoping we can get to the bottom of this.
post #3527 of 17986 Old 12-23-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

smile.gif Actually they said they had one other person reporting the issue but since he did not buy direct from Oppo they could not investigate his player on return. I am struggling to see how they cannot reproduce this in their lab. It seems not to be an issue with just my player as now I believe its up to about 6 people reporting this.

Sometimes things are not as simple as they seem. Trying to reproduce a problem that only a handful (AVS Forum) are experiencing could take some time. There seem to be far more using the Oppo in the same manner as yourself who are not having an issue at all. Hopefully Oppo can figure this out sooner rather than later.smile.gif

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #3528 of 17986 Old 12-23-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:

smile.gif Actually they said they had one other person reporting the issue but since he did not buy direct from Oppo they could not investigate his player on return.

I had my 103 for a few days before my 105 arrived.

I initially had my 103 set up going direct via analog outs to active speakers (front three) and power amps for surround speakers - no preamp/processor in the chain.

I had similar clicks and pops when turning on, changing inputs, etc (can't remember the exact details/symptoms).

Then my 105 arrived and it had no such trouble, the 103 went upstairs with a AV receiver.

I might want to run without the AV Receiver upstairs at some point so I'd like to see this resolved as well.
post #3529 of 17986 Old 12-23-2012, 07:45 AM

I just tried to run my digital cable box through the HDMI input on my 103 for the first time.

It's a Motorola box provided by Shaw cable up here in Canada.

First screen had a blue strip across it talking about DRM violation.

That went away then black screen fo 4-5 seconds, then video but no audio.

Then black screen.

Then Video and Audio! ...but then black screen frown.gif

Then it cycled repeatedly between black screen, video only, black screen, video and audio.

Any advice appreciated - thanks.
post #3530 of 17986 Old 12-23-2012, 08:35 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomin View Post

I just tried to run my digital cable box through the HDMI input on my 103 for the first time.
It's a Motorola box provided by Shaw cable up here in Canada.
First screen had a blue strip across it talking about DRM violation.
That went away then black screen fo 4-5 seconds, then video but no audio.
Then black screen.
Then Video and Audio! ...but then black screen frown.gif
Then it cycled repeatedly between black screen, video only, black screen, video and audio.
Any advice appreciated - thanks.

Some cable boxes specifically Motorola will not allow more than one HDMI device between the source & display. For example if you have just an AVR between the cable box & display it will work fine. But if you have the Oppo or another video processor in between you will encounter the DRM issues you are having. You can try different combinations of interconnecting your devices, so that you ultimately have only the Oppo between your cable box & display. You may even have to use optical or coaxial audio as well or split the audio & video on HDMI 1 & 2 and run direct to your display. Try this & report back.
post #3531 of 17986 Old 12-23-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano18 View Post

Some cable boxes specifically Motorola will not allow more than one HDMI device between the source & display. For example if you have just an AVR between the cable box & display it will work fine. But if you have the Oppo or another video processor in between you will encounter the DRM issues you are having. You can try different combinations of interconnecting your devices, so that you ultimately have only the Oppo between your cable box & display. You may even have to use optical or coaxial audio as well or split the audio & video on HDMI 1 & 2 and run direct to your display. Try this & report back.

This is how the chain looks:

Motorola Cable Box HDMI output -->> HDMI input on back of Oppo BDP-103 -->> HDMI Output 1 on Oppo to HDMI Input on 720p Toshiba LCD
post #3532 of 17986 Old 12-23-2012, 09:32 AM

Hi Guys. I recently had something happen that is pretty weird. I have been using the "experimental" mode where the 103 will connect directly to a network share. I had it working fine. At one point I joined a new laptop to my workgroup. The next time I went into netowrking the name of my existing file server had been replaced by the name of the new laptop. This laptop has no shares configured on it at all. Now the original file sever name is no longer listed. Interestingly, the new laptop machine name that is displayed has all of the shared folders listed that are on my file server.It looks like the machine name was changed, but it still thinks it is looking at the original machine. The problem is, it will not accept the user name and password setup for either of the machines. I have re-shared the folders and verified that I am using the correct credentials. No idea how this might have happened, but I am now stuck. I would like to clear the entry with the incorrect name and let the machine re-detect the correct one. I have not figured out how to do that. Does anyone know how an entry in the network media players section can be manually removed. If not, is there a way to reset the networking so perhaps I could just start over and let the Oppo detect everything from a blank slate?

I think this all happened shortly after I updated the firmware to the latest release.

Thanks for any advice,
Phil
post #3533 of 17986 Old 12-23-2012, 09:44 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post

Does anyone know how an entry in the network media players section can be manually removed. If not, is there a way to reset the networking so perhaps I could just start over and let the Oppo detect everything from a blank slate?

I think this all happened shortly after I updated the firmware to the latest release.

Thanks for any advice,
Phil

There are two levels of Reset Factory Default in the player: one retains your account info and the other wipes it. I suspect the second also erases any sever info, but you'll have to try it.

-Bill
post #3534 of 17986 Old 12-23-2012, 10:00 AM

Well I got it to work. I went into my router and set a DHCP reservation for my file server. I then went into DNS and set a DNS mapping entry specifically for the sever associating the server name with the reserved IP Address. With the laptop turned off, I also deleted its entry from DHCP.
I then went to the oppo, which still showed the laptop. I went to the top of the network section and noticed there is a maginifying glass icon. I now know that it is a search icon. It refreshes the media server list. I clicked that and it refreshed the server list. This removed the laptop and put the file server name in the list. The credentials that I entered originally still work. I can now access all of the shared folders!
smile.gif

I am not sure how this happened, but, for now anyway, it has been fixed.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check that computer browser service on the laptop. I normally disable it. I get tired of seeing the master browser elections being forced in the logs for my domain controllers.

Thanks again,
Phil
post #3535 of 17986 Old 12-23-2012, 10:01 AM

My 103 showed up Thursday. What a piece of art. Heavy and sturdy. I had it up and running in minutes. Was amazed that it auto sensed the split output setup. I put it back to a single HDMI connection to my Yamaha RX-A720 though. This way I am able to see the AVR output on the screen as well. Haven't had a chance to watch a disc through it yet though. Had to go back to work ( i go to work for days at a time ). I am very excited about getting back to it though. The Mitsubishi WD-82742 should be there bout the same time I am. Gonna be some nice movie watchin' going on pretty soon! Happy Holidays.
post #3536 of 17986 Old 12-23-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbar View Post

Interesting, somehow the Oppo is being told by your AVR that it is only a 5.1 system.

I think so too.

What's even more interesting, is that members posted in the AVR-2807 owners thread that they received 7.1 LPCM from the Oppo bdp-83.
post #3537 of 17986 Old 12-23-2012, 12:17 PM

I'm in a real pickle here, and not sure what to do. I got my first 103 a month ago and it came with completely dead HDM1 out (tried different TVs, cables etc). Customer service suggested exchanging it (through amazon). Got the new one, HDMI1 works but with issues. And here where it get's difficult: I don't know if it's OPPO or Yamaha RX-A720. First I thought it was Yamaha, because I couldn't even imagine that I could get 2 defective OPPOs. But when I used my Panasonic BDP with Yamaha there were no problems. OPPOs customer service is closed till Wednesday, so I'm stuck. Here's the main ssue. OPPO is connected to Yamaha via hdmi and Yamaha's hdmi out goes to TV (Mits WD92742). When I put a disc in I get video and sound through previews and main menu. When I push play (or choose a chapter to start with) I get video but sound disappears. In order to get it back I have to choose different input on Yamaha and then switch back to bdp input. I played with different cables, settings, nothing seems to help. All devices run the latest firmware. I searched through BDP 93 forum and came across at least 2 mentions of similar problem. So if it's OPPO's problem indeed I will loose faith in this product and I don't want that to happen. Please, help if you can.
post #3538 of 17986 Old 12-23-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamserg View Post

I'm in a real pickle here, and not sure what to do. I got my first 103 a month ago and it came with completely dead HDM1 out (tried different TVs, cables etc). Customer service suggested exchanging it (through amazon). Got the new one, HDMI1 works but with issues. And here where it get's difficult: I don't know if it's OPPO or Yamaha RX-A720. First I thought it was Yamaha, because I couldn't even imagine that I could get 2 defective OPPOs. But when I used my Panasonic BDP with Yamaha there were no problems. OPPOs customer service is closed till Wednesday, so I'm stuck. Here's the main ssue. OPPO is connected to Yamaha via hdmi and Yamaha's hdmi out goes to TV (Mits WD92742). When I put a disc in I get video and sound through previews and main menu. When I push play (or choose a chapter to start with) I get video but sound disappears. In order to get it back I have to choose different input on Yamaha and then switch back to bdp input. I played with different cables, settings, nothing seems to help. All devices run the latest firmware. I searched through BDP 93 forum and came across at least 2 mentions of similar problem. So if it's OPPO's problem indeed I will loose faith in this product and I don't want that to happen. Please, help if you can.

Hi, I am no EXPERT by ANY means, but I can share my experience. Although I have not had any real 'watch' time with my Oppo yet, this has happened to me a few times with my Samsung BD. I would actually recycle the power on my Yamaha RX-A720. I never tried just switching inputs. The point being, I have experienced this issue with the 720. I will be home tonight and have a chance to play around with it. I will see if I can replicate it with the Oppo. Don't loose faith in the Oppo yet.
post #3539 of 17986 Old 12-23-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

The previews and menus may be using a different audio format than the movie. You might want to check that out. If it is the case that the it is the movie audio format (assuming you are playing a BD here and the format is DTS MA or TrueHD) then I would look for the problem to be more likely in the receiver or in something with the bitstream communication between the Oppo and the receiver. Try switching the Oppo from bitstream to PCM and see what happens.

post #3540 of 17986 Old 12-23-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

What you have is a simple (and common) handshake failure. Fixing it is not so simple. 1st, try connecting the player's HDMI-1 directly to the display and HDMI-2 to the AVR with no AVR to display connect. That may resolve this. Another test would be to use HDMI-2 only, routed to AVR then to display. That may also resolve this.

More steps are to simplify the handshake by using only explicit settings in the player for video and audio, ( no "auto" settings). Turn off deep color in the player.

HDMI handshaking is an end-to-end event involving the player, AVR and display in every handshake. Since you have picture but no sound the fault is in the AVR. While this is happening you can call up the player's OSD and verify what audio signal is being sent.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page