Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Edge View Post

Regarding the 103/105 is the following possible:

Use it as a digital pre amp ? ie Run an Apple TV and a SKY HD Box into it and use it to switch between those and the internal blu ray player ?

Would it decode the DD / DTS sound streams etc from the SKY and Apple boxes ?

I would then send the audio out (by the RCA outputs) to my Classe CP800 / CA3200 on HT Bypass to power the front 2 channels and get a 3 channel power amp for the centre and rears.

I presume it has a digital volume control ?

Any help most appreciated ?

The two HDMI Inputs on the 103 support up to 1080p video (including Deep Color and 3D). They support lossy Bitstream audio (DD, including Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS), and high bit rate LPCM up to 192KHz for up to 5.1 channels and up to 96KHz for 7.1 channels. They do NOT support the lossless Bitstreams (Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA). They also do not support HDMI DSD digital audio input. If you play an HDCD disc into one of those inputs, then the HDCD decoding in the OPPO IS available. The HDMI Inputs will accept 1080p/24 video and present that as /24 on the HDMI outputs if you so desire. DVD 24p Conversion for 480i/60 content is NOT available on the HDMI Inputs.

Volume control is available on the Analog outputs (only), even when using the HDMI Inputs.
--Bob
lanping09 likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello,

Sorry for the lack of knowledge but i have been wanting to buy a dedicated BD player for over a year but could not make up my mind. I finally rounded it down to the Oppo 93 but have held fire due to the imminent release of the 103 in Europe. I have a preorder which i'm told stock may arrive next week!

There is a lot of talk with regards the lack of Dolby TrueHD, can you advise this is only when connecting to the input HDMI ports. Will the Oppo play a normal bluray from disk with Dolby TrueHD.

I chose the Oppo due to the superior picture quality and sound for use as primarily a BD player and upscaler connected to a Pioneer LX51 receiver. Another question... sorry... should i have the oppo decode the audio or the receiver ??

Confused as tech moves on so quickly !eek.gif
post #363 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickeymint View Post

Will the Oppo play a normal bluray from disk with Dolby TrueHD.
Absolutely. It can either decode the audio internally and output LPCM (or analog audio) or bitstream the TrueHD to a receiver for decoding.

The only issue involves decoding a Blu Ray disc with TrueHD that has been "ripped" (copied and converted) to another format and played via an attached disk drive or over a local network.

For normal Blu Ray discs the Oppo is excellent and you can easily switch the Oppo between LPCM and bitstream to decide which format you prefer with your receiver.
post #364 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 06:42 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickeymint View Post

Hello,

Sorry for the lack of knowledge but i have been wanting to buy a dedicated BD player for over a year but could not make up my mind. I finally rounded it down to the Oppo 93 but have held fire due to the imminent release of the 103 in Europe. I have a preorder which i'm told stock may arrive next week!

There is a lot of talk with regards the lack of Dolby TrueHD, can you advise this is only when connecting to the input HDMI ports. Will the Oppo play a normal bluray from disk with Dolby TrueHD.

I chose the Oppo due to the superior picture quality and sound for use as primarily a BD player and upscaler connected to a Pioneer LX51 receiver. Another question... sorry... should i have the oppo decode the audio or the receiver ??

Confused as tech moves on so quickly !eek.gif

Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA Bitstream formats are FULLY supported for shiny disc playback. There is nothing to worry about in this regard if you are using the player to play commercial movie discs.

Now, the OPPO 103 and 105 *ALSO* have what I suspect is the unique feature of offering HDMI *INPUTS*. I.e., you can hook up some OTHER device's HDMI Output to the OPPO players and play stuff THROUGH the OPPO players as if it was kind of a mini-Receiver.

For those HDMI *INPUTS*, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA Bitstreams are not supported. However if the Source device you have connected to those inputs is capable of doing its own decoding of those Bitstreams into high-bit rate, multi-channel, LPCM digital audio, then that high bit-rate LPCM *IS* supported on the HDMI Inputs.

The OPPO 103/105 also support playing media files from attached hard drives and over your house network in various ways. Support for TrueHD and DTS-HD MA varies according to the file format you are using and the method of attachment. This is a complicated subject, so read through this thread and ALSO read through the FAQ linked at the top of the first post of this thread to get some background on this.

But again, all of that is separate from playing shiny discs. Your Blu-ray discs with TrueHD or DTS-HD MA will play just fine, either with decoding in the OPPO itself, or when sending Bitstream output to your AVR for decoding in the AVR.
--Bob
lanping09 likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #365 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 07:12 AM

Liked: 12
So ... after a couple of days playing around with some of the more advanced features of the new 103 (successfully played back -at least a portion of- a mounted .ISO on my Windows 7 PC) , it seems like I've got a problem with a pretty basic function. I was watching one of those round things - what are they called again??? - oh yeah - Blu-Rays! smile.gif and hit pause to run and get a snack upstairs. This was the first time I'd let the system get to the screensaver since having the 103. When I came back, it looks like there's one or two columns of pixels along the left side of the screen that were static and not getting "wiped" by the screen saver. I was able to repeat it multiple times with different discs. Has anyone seen anything similar???

If it makes any difference, I'm going out HDMI 1 directly to my display (a Panasonic 55" VT50), with HDMI 2 going to my receiver (Onkyo 705). Haven't changed any settings on the VT50 (in terms of overscan or anything) and the same thing doesn't occur with the BDP-93. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a huge problem, but I'd hate to walk away one day and forget about it and end up with some kind of IR issue on that little strip of screen. Figured this might need to go to Oppo support, but thought I'd check with the group here first to see if it was something that was repeatable on other systems.

Thanks!
lanping09 likes this.
post #366 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

So, are you able to control the 103 (sucessfully) with an external program like XBMC via an HTPC? Is that even possible?
post #367 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 07:31 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bct103 View Post

So ... after a couple of days playing around with some of the more advanced features of the new 103 (successfully played back -at least a portion of- a mounted .ISO on my Windows 7 PC) , it seems like I've got a problem with a pretty basic function. I was watching one of those round things - what are they called again??? - oh yeah - Blu-Rays! smile.gif and hit pause to run and get a snack upstairs. This was the first time I'd let the system get to the screensaver since having the 103. When I came back, it looks like there's one or two columns of pixels along the left side of the screen that were static and not getting "wiped" by the screen saver. I was able to repeat it multiple times with different discs. Has anyone seen anything similar???

If it makes any difference, I'm going out HDMI 1 directly to my display (a Panasonic 55" VT50), with HDMI 2 going to my receiver (Onkyo 705). Haven't changed any settings on the VT50 (in terms of overscan or anything) and the same thing doesn't occur with the BDP-93. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a huge problem, but I'd hate to walk away one day and forget about it and end up with some kind of IR issue on that little strip of screen. Figured this might need to go to Oppo support, but thought I'd check with the group here first to see if it was something that was repeatable on other systems.

Thanks!

Yes, that is a known problem. There are situations in the current firmware where the screen saver geometry is wrong and lets a bit of the underlying video show through along the left edge. OPPO Engineering is on the case.
--Bob
lanping09 likes this.

post #368 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Yes, that is a known problem. There are situations in the current firmware where the screen saver geometry is wrong and lets a bit of the underlying video show through along the left edge. OPPO Engineering is on the case.
--Bob

Thanks for the quick reply Bob .... good to know I'm not alone. I'm sure they'll get it fixed up for the next firmware .....
post #369 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 08:30 AM

Liked: 10
Sorry, new here. Forgot to include quote. Please see below.
post #370 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:

I believe there is a bug in the HDMI Inputs in the current firmware that keeps it from properly recognizing the 4:3'ness of SD 4:3 video input. The "16:9 Wide/Auto" setting ought to be generating the requisite pillar box bars for you. Check that you have that set in the OPPO, but again I don't think that's working at the moment for the HDMI Inputs. OPPO is on the case.
I haven't used DirecTV for 3D but it wouldn't surprise me if they only use the half resolution side by side format. Perhaps one of the 3D experts here will chime in with more help.
--Bob

I am having the same issue using the rear or the front HDMI input that is being fed video from my (Comcast) Motorola HD DVR. Standard def 4:3 output (as evidenced by the front panel indicator of the DVR switching to 480i output (from 1080i)) is being stretched, regardless of the setting of the TV Aspect Ratio setting: 16:9 wide or 16:9 Wide/Auto. Funny, though, I swear it was working just the other day, and I'm pretty sure I didn't make any changes to my installation.
post #371 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 11:27 AM

New owner here! I'll be picking mine up today at lunch from down town Mtn. View. I am so looking forward to replacing my older Sony BDP-S570.
post #372 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Can somebody please answer? Can/will the Oppo 103 be able to be used as an "external" network player via an HTPC frontend like XBMC? Thanks in advance.
post #373 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

i
Absolutely. It can either decode the audio internally and output LPCM (or analog audio) or bitstream the TrueHD to a receiver for decoding.
The only issue involves decoding a Blu Ray disc with TrueHD that has been "ripped" (copied and converted) to another format and played via an attached disk drive or over a local network.
For normal Blu Ray discs the Oppo is excellent and you can easily switch the Oppo between LPCM and bitstream to decide which format you prefer with your receiver.

Thanks for your reply smile.gif
post #374 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ I don't know how XBMC works. How does it control an external player?

If it is a DLNA Digital Media Controller then the answer is likely yes as the 103 is a DLNA Digital Media Renderer.

I imagine someone with XBMC will have to try it and report.
--Bob

post #375 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^ I don't know how XMBC works. How does it control an external player?
If it is a DLNA Digital Media Controller then the answer is likely yes as the 103 is a DLNA Digital Media Renderer.
I imagine someone with XMBC will have to try it and report.
--Bob

Thank you. I'm very anxious to hear if anybody is has used it with XBMC. That will be the decision of a purchase for me.
post #376 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 12:42 PM

Just placed an order today, can't wait to receive it. This will be my second Oppo after buying my first back in 2006.
post #377 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 01:19 PM

Liked: 17
hi guys,im new on this so i need some advise from you experience,im planning on buying a oppo-103 just for blue ray playback,i already have a samsung 6700 feeding my samsung un46d6400 3d led tv,the other hdmi goes to a onkyo 605,my fronts are psb t45,counterpoint center channel and klipsh surrounds,i also have a ps3 that i use for playing once a month so the big question is if this player will give me way better picture and sound quality with this set up or it will be no diference because something is limiting the PQ (like the lcd) or AQ (like the receiver,speakers,etc etc)

i know my englsh is bad!!

PD.can i get the same pq/aq from a oppo 93 than the 103 based on the technical info from both?
post #378 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Also, in addition to my query on controlling the player with XBMC (or any other DLNA based front end), I have a question about Cinevia. I'm VERY much a newbie with regards to this technology and have little understanding about it. Exactly how would it impact someone like myself with back up discs stored on hard drives? I typically either convert to .mkv or raw mt2s files. Will Cinevia impact ME?
post #379 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post

Thank you. I'm very anxious to hear if anybody is has used it with XBMC. That will be the decision of a purchase for me.

Don't know if the 103/105 implements this correctly (I would think so), but from this reference

"DLNA certificate guidelines are governed by the Digital Living Network Alliance. Since September 2007 XBMC's built-in UPnP-server and UPnP-client are compatible with DLNA CERTIFIED™ devices. "
post #380 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Don't know if the 103/105 implements this correctly (I would think so), but from this reference
"DLNA certificate guidelines are governed by the Digital Living Network Alliance. Since September 2007 XBMC's built-in UPnP-server and UPnP-client are compatible with DLNA CERTIFIED™ devices. "

Thanks for that. I would LOVE to know IF it works and how it's functioning under XBMC (if at all possible).
post #381 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 01:36 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post

Also, in addition to my query on controlling the player with XBMC (or any other DLNA based front end), I have a question about Cinevia. I'm VERY much a newbie with regards to this technology and have little understanding about it. Exactly how would it impact someone like myself with back up discs stored on hard drives? I typically either convert to .mkv or raw mt2s files. Will Cinevia impact ME?

Start with the FAQ: Does the player implement Cinavia watermark detection?

-Bill
post #382 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Another thing to try, while waiting for them to get back to you is to hook up JUST HDMI 2 from the OPPO to your MRX. Keep in mind it has separate HDMI Options settings for Color Space and Deep Color. If that works for Bitstream audio it will tell them a lot.
--Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the idea. Bitstream worked fine from HDMI 2 for both DTS-MA and TDHD. The video needs to come from HDMI 1 to take advantage of the full video processor, though, correct?

Thanks,
Nick
post #383 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wixer102 View Post

Quote:

Another thing to try, while waiting for them to get back to you is to hook up JUST HDMI 2 from the OPPO to your MRX. Keep in mind it has separate HDMI Options settings for Color Space and Deep Color. If that works for Bitstream audio it will tell them a lot.
--Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the idea. Bitstream worked fine from HDMI 2 for both DTS-MA and TDHD. The video needs to come from HDMI 1 to take advantage of the full video processor, though, correct?

Thanks,
Nick

That's correct, although the video output on HDMI 2 is no slouch either. Just pass on the new results to OPPO Tech Support as it will rule out a bunch of possibilities so they can focus on the rest. Among other things, it shows your MRX, as currently configured, is capable of receiving those Bitstreams.
--Bob

post #384 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I was hoping someone could answer a couple questions I had about his player. When playing back music files(whether from a network folder or usb drive), can we browse through the folders while the music is still playing? On lots of older players you'd have to stop the music playback to browse the file directories. Also, and this one is not that big a deal, will there be any problem playing back an mkv file where the audio is encoded as a 6 channel flac soundtrack?
post #385 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBR View Post

hi guys,im new on this so i need some advise from you experience,im planning on buying a oppo-103 just for blue ray playback,i already have a samsung 6700 feeding my samsung un46d6400 3d led tv,the other hdmi goes to a onkyo 605,my fronts are psb t45,counterpoint center channel and klipsh surrounds,i also have a ps3 that i use for playing once a month so the big question is if this player will give me way better picture and sound quality with this set up or it will be no diference because something is limiting the PQ (like the lcd) or AQ (like the receiver,speakers,etc etc)
i know my englsh is bad!!
PD.can i get the same pq/aq from a oppo 93 than the 103 based on the technical info from both?

If you already have a PS3 there are not many reasons why you would want to use the BDP-103. The main benefit the BDP-103 has over the PS3 is that is is much quieter and uses tremendously less energy. Audio and video picture quality will remain pretty much identical to these two players when using HDMI.

What it really comes down to is personal preferences. If you need to playback user generated media such as APE or FLAC audio files, MKV video files, or DVD-Audio discs, then the BDP-103 becomes a better solution than the PS3.
lanping09 likes this.
post #386 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post

I was hoping someone could answer a couple questions I had about his player. When playing back music files(whether from a network folder or usb drive), can we browse through the folders while the music is still playing?

Yes. You can start playback of audio then press the RETURN or the HOME Button and then browse other categories, such as Picture or Movies, without any interruption of the audio.
Quote:
Also, and this one is not that big a deal, will there be any problem playing back an mkv file where the audio is encoded as a 6 channel flac soundtrack?

I know FLAC files on their own can be multi-channel, but I have not yet tried a MKV with multi-channel FLAC. I may have to try this later tonight and see what happens.
post #387 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post

what resolution are you feeding the player? seriously looking into this player

I am sending Native out from Directv (480i/60, 720p/60 and 1080i/60 444 24bit) and sending my display 1080p/60 444 24bit. I am using HDMI 1 out to the display for video. Im currently sending Direct audio to my AVR via digi coax, because the Oppo has one other bug right now with the Directv DVR.

When using HDMI 2 out to bitstream the DD 5.1 from Directv to the AVR, you lose audio any time there is a resolution change (say going from ESPN to HBO), and you cant get it back without power cycle. So for now, Im not passing audio thru the Oppo from Directv, just video. This is why I had to use a 200ms audio delay, the audio was getting to the avr faster than the video was getting thru the Oppo to the display.

Something funny on the HDCP issue. When playing back a recording of HBO, I dont get the content error that requires jumping inputs.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #388 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:

It's actually pretty simple. TV set top boxes don't enforce copy protection by default. That's because so many people are still using them with Component video cables. But individual channels have the option to force copy protection. And the channels giving the problems here are doing that.
Now, the HDMI Inputs of the 103 are perfectly prepared to handle copy protection handshakes. You can, for example, connect another Blu-ray player into the HDMI Input of the 103 and play a Blu-ray disc, which is about as strict as copy protection can get. I've done it. It works.
So there's something about the handshake these DirecTV boxes are doing that's giving the 103 fits. No big surprise. It is probably a screw up in the DirecTV. If I had to guess, the HDMI HDCP code in the DirecTV is not prepared to work through a device that can fan out the input into 2 outputs like the103 can do. Just a guess, but I like it. Anyway, since forcing a new handshake fixes it (i.e., switch the OPPO 103 Input back to Blu-ray player and then back to the HDMI Input), this is fixable. I.e., force a handshake reset instead of accepting "No!" for an answer.
This is the sort of farfegnugen AVRs have to do ALL THE TIME to correct for sloppy HDMI implementations in Source devices.
(And people wonder why AVRs cost so much....)
--Bob

It's not just DirecTV: I'm having handshake issues with my Motorola DCH 3416 DVR with Comcast, and have been in touch with Oppo tech support about it already. With their troubleshooting help, I discovered that this issue comes up only with the HDMI 1 out, and not HDMI 2. (This occurs whether I use the front or rear HDMI input). Also, these aren't premium channels I'm trying to play...it's any channel. Also, switching to Blu-ray input then back to HDMI in doesn't always work, and in fact I've caused the Oppo to "freeze;" I had to power cycle to get it to respond again.
post #389 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 04:04 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

If you already have a PS3 there are not many reasons why you would want to use the BDP-103.

Obviously this is a personal preference issue, and I'm sure it's been beaten to death on other threads, but I'd strongly disagree with that. I have a PS3 in both of my main viewing rooms, and am much happier using an Oppo player for everything except games... (Though I agree, my reasons have little to do with picture and audio quality; it's usability.)
post #390 of 17803 Old 10-08-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Yes. You can start playback of audio then press the RETURN or the HOME Button and then browse other categories, such as Picture or Movies, without any interruption of the audio.
Fantastic!
Quote:

I know FLAC files on their own can be multi-channel, but I have not yet tried a MKV with multi-channel FLAC. I may have to try this later tonight and see what happens.
I've been ripping and encoding all my blu-rays in this style because I figured it would preserve the lossless soundtrack while being much smaller(a few gigs per file starts to add up lol), but perhaps I should have been using the actual dts-hd soundtracks instead.

Thanks again.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page