Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 133 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3961 of 17621 Old 01-02-2013, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 170
FYI Beta 38-1220 has been upgraded to Official status.
Mike_WI likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 17621 Old 01-02-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by seiji View Post

Has anyone resolved the HDCP error message: "Your TV does not support this program's contention protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program." when switching from a non HBO to HBO channel. Actually almost any non paying channel to a premium pay channel. I am currently running the "1220" updated firmware, but my system still get this error message. I have replaced and check all my wires and connections and everything is okay. I have a simple system, my Directv is plugged into the Oppo HDMI in and it is in turn plugged into my Samsung un60es7150 via the HDMI1 out. The Oppo analog 5.1 is plugged into my Rotel Rsp1066 multi channel in and the 1066 is plugged into a Rotel Rmb 1095. When I first upgraded the firmware I wasn't having the problem, but after a couple of day I started having the problem again and it seems to be getting worse. (more frequent).

I get the same messge every now and then. I have the latest firmware. I can get it to stop sometimes by disconnecting and reconnecting HDMI. Very frustrating when you go to watch HBO or similar and can't.
post #3963 of 17621 Old 01-02-2013, 06:13 PM

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone of you using a NAS hard drive (Network Attached Storage) in your wireless network and your BDP-103 can successfully connects and plays music files. I want to get a reliable NAS device and store all mylarge collection of FLAC files, movies (and add more of course) and get my BDP-103 play it from there.
Can anybody recommend a unit that works flawlessly with Oppo..? I appreciate if you share your experience with it.

Thank you,
post #3964 of 17621 Old 01-02-2013, 06:26 PM

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone of you using a NAS hard drive (Network Attached Storage) in your wireless network and your BDP-103 can successfully connects and plays music files. I want to get a reliable NAS device and store all mylarge collection of FLAC files, movies (and add more of course) and get my BDP-103 play it from there.
Can anybody recommend a unit that works flawlessly with Oppo..? I appreciate if you share your experience with it.

Thank you,
post #3965 of 17621 Old 01-02-2013, 06:38 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devselek View Post

Hey guys,

Thank you,

Welcome to AVSForum.

The FAQ has a list of NAS and software servers people have reported using: What are some DLNA servers?

-Bill
post #3966 of 17621 Old 01-02-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
So anyone been able to successfully log in to a SMB share on Win 8?
post #3967 of 17621 Old 01-02-2013, 07:23 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I use Handbrake and haven't seen that. For DVDs I take all the defaults that come with --preset="High Profile" (plus q=18 for better quality). This trims the black bars; are you using other parameters to retain them?
-Bill

I have been using Handbrake's defaults for video, except setting RF to 18 as you do, and let Handbrake trim the black bars. However, I do have the freezing problem. I'll give "High Profile" a spin and see if it fixes the issue.

P.S.
With the newer default of "constant quality" and RF set to 18, I usually can't tell the visual difference between the "normal" and "high profile" settings, and the transcode time are so much faster with the "normal" setting.
post #3968 of 17621 Old 01-02-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Just downloaded/installed firmware version BDP10X-38-1220 onto my BDP-103, is this the latest update?

Also is it safer to set to "factory defaults" or not?
post #3969 of 17621 Old 01-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devselek View Post

In addition to the units mentioned in Bill's FAQ, I can confirm the Synology DS212j works flawlessly using the Synology supplied "Media Server" (DLNA) add-on package via a wired network. I'm thrilled that such an entry-level, almost "toy", NAS works so well. I'm sure it helps that it's simply serving the files as no transcoding is required since the Oppo plays nearly everything natively....including very high bit-rate HD video MKV or m2ts files (with HD audio tracks). Prior to the DS212j I also used a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo (v1) that also worked very well with Twonky installed, but I really prefer the Synology for its awesome graphical "desktop" user interface.

Note that a wireless network can work for audio files and low/medium bit-rate video files, but high bit-rate HD video can bring a wireless network to its knees regardless of how well the NAS and Oppo perform.
post #3970 of 17621 Old 01-02-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Send OPPO Tech Support an email with the details. This should no longer be happening in the most recent firmware. Basically this is a form of HDMI handshake failure. Those premium channels are copy protected, and HDMI copy protection is unhappy with the result of the HDMI handshake.
--bob
Okay I sent Oppo tech support an email, waiting for a reply. I was speaking to a computer guy and he said that the Oppo is changing the signal (which they would for upscaling) it gets from the Directv box and then sends to my tv and since the signal has been changed (without correcting the HDCP signal flag) the HDCP flag is sent being changed or altered, therefore my tv is rejecting the signal due to copy protection. Oppo needs to find a work around the HDCP flag that is being sent as this copy protection flag is required by law and Directv, Dish, Cox cable, etc. has to send this as part of it's signal for premium channels.
post #3971 of 17621 Old 01-02-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobearQSI View Post

There's lots of opinions around about how to budget your AV equipment. For example: http://www.audioholics.com/buying-guides/how-to-shop/ask-dr-a-the-budget-dance
That guide says for a balanced system, the display should be about 9 times the cost of your Blu-ray player. If you have a huge DVD collection and care a lot about upscaling, or you really care about Netflix Streaming noise reduction a lot, or you insist on playing SACDs, then your circumstances may be different.
When I got my first projector, I put it on an 80-inch screen. I thought at the time that was plenty big, and I'd be happy with that size forever. Needless to say, I now have a better projector and 120 inch screen biggrin.gif
The display is what you'll see the most. IMO, you should be spending at least 3 times as much on your display as on your Blu-ray player. The Oppo's video section is not worth it on a washed out, low contrast, dim, small, etc. TV.

Thanks for the reply ,

I definitely agree with you. Screen size is definitely more important, because your right I WILL have that inch for a larger size. Maybe in 5 years ill upgrade to the next flagship model. I'll then have an excuse to spend some money on a nicer blu ray player. I mean for 499 is almost as much as the TV itself!!! As much as I would love it, I know the quality is high, I just cannot justify the price at this point. Coming from a 27 inch monitor with dvd player anything will be nicer at this point...
post #3972 of 17621 Old 01-02-2013, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Hi all:

I'm planning to get a NAS (Synology DS1812+ with 3x 3TB Western Digital RED drives) by this weekend to mostly store music and movies of different types, styles and nature. Like most of you, i have music on CDs, SACD, DVDA and some concerts on Bluray. I have movies on DVDs and Blurays ofcourse.

I'm looking for advice on a folder structure i should have on my system that would allow me to easily search and find whatever item i'm looking for. As you may surmise, i'm not as organized as i want and need to be.

I know this is trivial for many, but some of us perfectionists, what may be trivial to others turns into a frustrating headache for ussmile.gif!

Thanks,

David

Bumped my post for help ...thanks!

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #3973 of 17621 Old 01-03-2013, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Thank you envirogeek. I have everything hard-wired through gigabit Ethernet. No wireless is involved. The 103 sees everything it's supposed to see, my W7 PC is shown twice, one for DLNA and other for SMB, as it should be. I also tried my wife's W7 PC, same result. The 103 asks for a userid and password and nothing works. tried to turn off all firwalls, created a specific user account for the oppo, with and without password, tried to use Guest, my own W7 admin userid, blank, nothing works, always getting the same msg about invalid userid/passwork.
On the W7 PC I have shares to "Everyone", "oppo" (the account I created), security settings to allow Everyone, tried password protected sharing on and off, W7 recognizes the oppo device and it is "allowed" to access the shares. It is something related to the authentication that is not working. All my IP addresses are fixed, on the same group. The only thing I have not yet tried is to configure the 103 to access the network wireless but all my devices are hard-wired and access the PC without any problem.

I've got the exact same problem, all wired and can't connect to a shared Windows share.

Hope there is some solution to this.
post #3974 of 17621 Old 01-03-2013, 04:36 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

Just downloaded/installed firmware version BDP10X-38-1220 onto my BDP-103, is this the latest update?

Yes. You can always verify this by looking at OPPO's support page: http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103-Support.aspx
Quote:
Also is it safer to set to "factory defaults" or not?

It's recommended, but not required. I always do it. Every now and then someone will report that a reset fixed a problem.

You might print out the BDP-103 Settings Checklist and mark it up with your local settings. That's handy to have after doing a reset.

-Bill
Mike_WI likes this.
post #3975 of 17621 Old 01-03-2013, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I just ordered my BDP-103 and am waiting impatiently for it to arrive ;-)

I shall be using it in "split" output mode with HDMI Output #1 connected direct to a Sony KDL-46HX850 TV and HDMI Ouput #2 connected to a Sony DA2400ES Receiver. So topographically I shall have a triangular HDMI connection Oppo->Tv / Oppo->Receiver / Receiver->Tv, and therefore my question is concerning what the HDMI CEC settings need to be on these devices.

I can imagine that when the Oppo proclaims itself as "CEC Active Device", the TV would select the (video) input coming direct from the Oppo HDMI #1, the Receiver would select the (audio) input from Oppo HDMI #2, and then (I fear) the Receiver will proclaim itself as the "CEC Active Device" and thus cause the TV to select the video signal from Oppo HDMI #2 via the Receiver instead of the signal coming from Oppo HDMI #1 direct. (Or some such mix up...)

On plain audio material an extra detour via the Receiver would not be a problem, but on video (in particular 3D video) the detour via the Receiver would result in a degraded video signal path...
post #3976 of 17621 Old 01-03-2013, 06:20 AM

just popped in to say that the HDMI inputs have been working MUCH better since the 12/20 firmware update. no more A/V sync issues!! and the QDEO chip provides a noticeable improvement when deinterlacing Uverse (1080i)...sharper image than when deinterlaced by my AVR (4311ci) or display (ISF calibrated sharp elite). cheers. smile.gif
post #3977 of 17621 Old 01-03-2013, 06:37 AM

Liked: 14
Hello all,

I am receiving my Oppo today. I have read many issues about the HDMI handshake between some PVRs and the HDMI input of the Oppo. Currently I have the HDMI from my PVR going directly to the TV for casual viewing (kids and wife). For surround sound viewing the PVR is connected to my Denon 3808ci via component and Optical with a second HDMI running to the TV from the Denon. My idea was to potentially use the the input on Oppo so I can push everything over HDMI instead of having my receiver upscale the component to HDMI when I watch sports and movies over FiOs with surround sound. My question is this, has anyone in the forum gotten this to work correctly and if so is is there any noticeable advantage to doing so?

Your insight and feedback is appreciated.

Thank you
post #3978 of 17621 Old 01-03-2013, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just noticed a new official firmware release yesterday (Jan 2nd). Anyone give it a try yet? What got fixed with this one?

Edit: Disregard. Just noticed Neuro already updated the 1st post. Thanks!
post #3979 of 17621 Old 01-03-2013, 07:00 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDSapper View Post

Just noticed a new official firmware release yesterday (Jan 2nd). Anyone give it a try yet? What got fixed with this one?

It's the same as the beta that was available previously. You can see the release notes here: http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/BDP103-firmware-38-1220.aspx

-Bill
Mike_WI likes this.
post #3980 of 17621 Old 01-03-2013, 07:12 AM

Hi, I am thinking about getting the 103 for my system, which will be hidden in a utility room. I have read that it's best to connect the 103 directly to your tv, and then either HDMI or analog audio to the receiver? Since I only have one HDMI cable going from the utility room to the tv I'm guessing I will have no option but to connect the 103 directly to my receiver?

Thanks

post #3981 of 17621 Old 01-03-2013, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Young View Post

Hi, I am thinking about getting the 103 for my system, which will be hidden in a utility room. I have read that it's best to connect the 103 directly to your tv, and then either HDMI or analog audio to the receiver? Since I only have one HDMI cable going from the utility room to the tv I'm guessing I will have no option but to connect the 103 directly to my receiver?
Yup, unless you install a HDMI wireless bridge.

But here's the thing....the 103 works just fine with a single cable to a TV from the receiver if all the items in the chain are well behaved. In fact, this is the "normal" method if one uses an AVR as the vast majority of Blu Ray players only have a single HDMI port anyway.

The "split" HDMI connection method really does nothing, IMHO, unless one has an older AVR that does not do something desired like HD Audio or 3D. Since Oppo is a premium product and the internal components (SOC) supports dual outputs anyway, this capability is provided for maximum flexibility. HDMI is inherently designed to carry digital HD video and digital HD audio simultaneously so sending both on a single cable does not degrade the quality in any way.

FWIW, I have a single high quality HDMI in-wall cable (~60ft) and it works great. (Oppo==>Yamaha AVR==>Panasonic Plasma)
post #3982 of 17621 Old 01-03-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

Thanks

There are options yet I believe more info on your system and connected equipment is needed to really answer your question. I would assume you would have the 103, a cable/TV box and possibly other equipment that also utilize the same HDMI cable/TV connection through the receiver?
But as mentioned above, having the OPPO pass through your AVR via HDMI is just fine.
Cheers

Love DIY
post #3983 of 17621 Old 01-03-2013, 07:38 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Thanks

The approved HDMI way is one cable from the player to the AVR, and one from the AVR to the display.

People use two cables from the player for a variety of reasons, but unless you have the need it isn't necessary.

-Bill
post #3984 of 17621 Old 01-03-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tucker View Post

I get the same messge every now and then. I have the latest firmware. I can get it to stop sometimes by disconnecting and reconnecting HDMI. Very frustrating when you go to watch HBO or similar and can't.

Could those of you that are having this problem post what movie or show you saw this on?  I have my DirecTV HR34 connected to the rear HDMI port of the Oppo BDP-103 and went to all my HBO channels last night and didn't see this error.  But it could be that the HDCP is a show-by-show option rather than imposed on all HBO shows.  I'd like to see if I have this same problem as well.

post #3985 of 17621 Old 01-03-2013, 07:58 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Is the public release of this former beta identical to the beta? i.e. Does the public release need to be installed to override the former beta of the same version?

Just installed the beta last week at recommendation of OPPO tech support.

Thanks.
post #3986 of 17621 Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Mann View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Is the public release of this former beta identical to the beta? i.e. Does the public release need to be installed to override the former beta of the same version?

Just installed the beta last week at recommendation of OPPO tech support.

Thanks.

The same version number usually indicates the same firmware. Some people don't want to try betas and will wait until they are declared official.

-Bill
Mike_WI likes this.
post #3987 of 17621 Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a question for everybody. I'm currently considering purchasing the 103 and my question is, is the Qdeo chip in the 103 do a better job at upscaling then the Burr Brown chip in my Onkyo PR-SC886P AV controller? I think I know the answer since my receiver was built in 2008 but just wanted justification for the upradeitus. I am replacing a 2007 PS3. Thanks
post #3988 of 17621 Old 01-03-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

There are options yet I believe more info on your system and connected equipment is needed to really answer your question. I would assume you would have the 103, a cable/TV box and possibly other equipment that also utilize the same HDMI cable/TV connection through the receiver?
But as mentioned above, having the OPPO pass through your AVR via HDMI is just fine.
Cheers

I will have a Denon AVR-4520, Bell HD Satellite receiver, a HTPC, and if I get the Oppo, connected to a Pioneer PRO-150FD PDP.

post #3989 of 17621 Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolratt View Post

I have a question for everybody. I'm currently considering purchasing the 103 and my question is, is the Qdeo chip in the 103 do a better job at upscaling then the Burr Brown chip in my Onkyo PR-SC886P AV controller? I think I know the answer since my receiver was built in 2008 but just wanted justification for the upradeitus. I am replacing a 2007 PS3. Thanks

I have the same Onkyo PR-SC886P as you and I think the Oppo 103 may do a better job, but if there is a difference I don't notice much of one.  It may just be my imagination trying to justify it, but I think that Netflix streaming using the Oppo 103 looks better than through my Roku hooked up to my Onkyo.

post #3990 of 17621 Old 01-03-2013, 08:43 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolratt View Post

The Burr Brown is an audio DAC, not a video processing chip. It looks like that Onkyo has a HQV Reon-VX which was a pretty good video processor at the time, but the QDEO is probably better.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page