Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 145 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4321 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As some of you may have read in my earlier posts I have this DLNA problem with my BDP-103. It won't show album art or song info when used as a DLNA Renderer (as opposed to DLNA Player) and I don't know if it is my setup or the OPPO player that is at fault. As a last resort I would really appeciate if someone could verify if the setup according to the instructions below shows track info/album art or not.
Thanks in advance for any help.

* My setup:

Computer (Win7) <-> Router <-> BDP-103EU (all connections are wired)

* Install latest foobar2000 player on the computer.

* Install latest "UPnP/DLNA Renderer, Server, Control Point" plugin found at http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_upnp

* In foobar2000, go to View->UPnP Controller.

* In the new window, in the pull-down at the top, choose the OPPO player

* Drag and drop a FLAC file onto the UPnP Controller window.

* The FLAC file should start playing on the OPPO player.

* Check if track info and/or album art is shown on the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

If you have made any changes to Picture Adjustments prior to starting VUDU then the player will be applying these settings to the stream.

Try using HDMI 2 instead of HDMI 1 and see if the same issues occur. As rdgrimes has already pointed out there is some amount of DNR that goes on by default with the Marvel solution, so switching straight to the decoder will remove any possibility of DNR being added as the MediaTek decoder does not support DNR.

Like I said, all my picture adjustments are at default (0) on HDMI 1. I tested the same streaming content on HDMI 2, and it's comparable to the PS3.

The effect of this default, and apparently undefeatable, DNR is more than slight. Netflix on the 103 looks like a wax museum compared to a 6 year old game console.
post #4323 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 05:41 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 841
^ I'm not seeing that, and in general, comments here on Netflix quality on the 103 compared to the PS3 have been quite positive.

I don't doubt you are seeing what you are reporting, but this is not normal.

I doubt it is a hardware problem. Sorting out a software problem should probably start with a fresh re-install of the firmware followed by a full Reset, including a power down and pulling the power plug for about 10 seconds.

ETA: I presume you are aware that all quality comparisons for Netflix have been thrown for a loop by their recent change of compression codecs and the resulting loss of X-High/HD bit rate. I.e., you can't compare current streams to your memory of the prior streaming quality.

Even so, I'm not seeing the problem you are reporting.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #4324 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxmike View Post

Hi MM,

I have a very similar setup as yours (HTPC > HDMI in > Analog Out > 5 x 200w power amp). I am getting a huge (HUGE) popping noise when first connecting and sometimes when changing recordings on the PC. It scares the crap out of everyone in the house. Sometimes after stopping a recording I get a waterfall sound (white noise). It plays flac files beautifully though and sound is excellent. No hiss issues. Did you get the popping sound fixed?

I have reported this to Oppo support in the US

Was going to try the analog outs this morning into my 550 wpc power amplifier. My poor speakers are thanking you for saving their lives!

Update: Tried using Oppo as a stereo preamp with HDMI output from Digital Cable Box going into HDMI-In Back. When changing channels on digital cable box, it lost continuity between cable box and TV so screen when blank/flickering/popping noise.
post #4325 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 08:13 AM

Liked: 12
I have tested oppo-103 using motorola 3510m on a 150" screen verses onkyo tx-nr818. Oppo makes picture look much better with or without settings. Better to watch blue ray without any change in settings but for cable signal oppo makes picture cleaner better than straight feed or onkyo. Specialy watching sports. Even though onkyo and oppo may have the same video chip? Or is it properitary to oppo only?
post #4326 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ I'm not seeing that, and in general, comments here on Netflix quality on the 103 compared to the PS3 have been quite positive.

I don't doubt you are seeing what you are reporting, but this is not normal.

I doubt it is a hardware problem. Sorting out a software problem should probably start with a fresh re-install of the firmware followed by a full Reset, including a power down and pulling the power plug for about 10 seconds.

ETA: I presume you are aware that all quality comparisons for Netflix have been thrown for a loop by their recent change of compression codecs and the resulting loss of X-High/HD bit rate. I.e., you can't compare current streams to your memory of the prior streaming quality.

My comparisons are based on flipping back and forth between the same content at the same streaming quality; both the 103 and my PS3 are connected to my receiver, which I use as an HDMI switch. My receiver has no video processing over HDMI, it's straight pass-through. Both show High / HD as the quality level. I generally have been pleased with the quality of HD content on Netflix (it's good enough for blowing through multiple seasons of TV shows quickly), which is why the downgrade on the 103 was surprising and immediately noticeable. Everything on the Oppo looks smoothed over compared to the PS3. I was being a bit hyperbolic earlier because it's not awful, but it's certainly not great. If I'd never seen Netflix on the PS3, I'd probably give the Oppo a passing grade, but with the comparison, the Oppo comes up short.

I installed the latest firmware via the internet last night and did a full reset before setting up the 103, but I'll reinstall the firmware tonight via USB and do another reset.
post #4327 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 209
^^^
Netflix is certainly not the best source for using to evaluate the Qdeo processor. It's also possible that in spite of "High-HD" indicators, the PS3 could be receiving a higher bit rate stream. The current state of HD streaming on Netflix is at best unpredictable.

A better comparison might be a DVD. You'll see that same type of DNR in use on a DVD, but the difference falls more into the "personal preference" area and its not immediately obvious. Personally I prefer the output from HDMI-2 for all sources, other people feel the opposite.
post #4328 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 10:54 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacari View Post

..just wondering why you aren't keeping the 990 in the loop...

No need for the 990 since the Oppo did everything I needed. I gave up the automated microphone volume and distance setup in the 990, so I had to do it manually. I didn't know this until later, but I also gave up the ability to use the fronts as full range and the sub at the same time (the Oppo had more flexible bass management), but hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update if many of us request it.

Bottom line though, I needed to sell the 990 to pay for the 103.
post #4329 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny tuna View Post

This is the reply I got back. To be blunt, I know some things about some things, but do not know how to interpret this. I am wondering why they didn't just say they are working on a firmware fix. For the record, my amp is an outlaw 7075. I don't think there is any problem with the outlaw amp.

"If the input impedance of the receiver is low, then these errors may be present as the amplifier is amplifying the noise close to the Noise Floor. We would recommend using a 6dB to 12dB attenuator between the player and the amplifier's analog inputs and see if the same errors persist. If the errors persist, then it is possible that you have a defective unit and we would recommend having it replaced through the reseller that you bought the player form as it is possible that you have a defective unit."

Hmmm. My Anthem MCA-5 has a 21K input impedance, so I doubt that is a problem unless the 103 has a really high output impedance (it's not listed in the specs). As for adding an attenuator, that wouldn't work well for me as the volume at 100% is a bit too low for me so I wouldn't want it any lower.
post #4330 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 11:18 AM

Got my oppo 103 last night and so far am impressed. I do however have a few issues I noticed right off:
1.) M2ts filies play for 20 minutes or so then freeze. Also, I can't turn off closed caption on any of them.
2.) The player froze and I had to turn off and back on when I tried to play files from front USB. As a result, I assume M2ts files only play from rear USB ports on all OPPO 103s

Anyone have similar issues and find a resolution to them? Thanks for your time.
post #4331 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:

To update the issue of hiss and pops when using analog audio and no preamp - this is what I got from Oppo:

There is no firmware fix for audio hiss or hum. Hum is due to a ground looping error in the system that can usually be resolved by isolating any cable or satellite box from your receiver.

Hiss is due to the amplifier picking up audio close to the noise floor. This is usually due to the input impedance on the amplifier being low or amplifier expecting a lower voltage. Putting an attenuator between the player and the amplifier has been known to resolve these issues.

If the issues persist after installing attenuators, then the errors may be related to a defective player (which we recommended trying) or an incompatibility with the amplifier. We have done our own testing with a wide variety of amplifiers and we can't verify the hiss. So either there are defective units out in the field which need to be replaced, or attenuators need to be used with incredibly sensitive amplifiers which we do not have in our office for testing.

A pre-amplifier will resolve your issues because pre-amplifiers are high impedance, high resistance so they will never be able to receive a signal which is close to the noise floor where the hiss is coming from.

This makes sense. I am not having hiss or hum issues -- I am having digital thump and pop issues when handshakes occur. Kudos to Oppo though for not just blowing you off with "must be a cable issue" even though that's what it likely is.
post #4332 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by spakins View Post

Got my oppo 103 last night and so far am impressed. I do however have a few issues I noticed right off:
1.) M2ts filies play for 20 minutes or so then freeze. Also, I can't turn off closed caption on any of them
2.) The player froze and I had to turn off and back on when I tried to play files from front USB. As a result, I assume M2ts files only play from rear USB ports on all OPPO 103s

Assuming you are playing these files via attached storage? sounds like your HDD is going into sleep mode against your wishes. This accounts for the freeze. Not an easy issue to resolve, but if it's a self-powered HDD you have no options but to try a different one.
As for subtitles, you should be able to turn them off with the subtitle button on the remote. If not than its an issue with how the files were made. Even if the OSd says that subtitles are "off", cycle them on and off again and it should resolve. this may re-occur if you stop and re-start the file.

It makes no difference whether you're using the front or rear USB ports.
post #4333 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodge827 View Post

ajaxmike,

Thanks for the info.
I have a 6.1 in the wall speaker set up which are kept to small and route all bass to the sub.
That sucks that you can't run your fronts in full range. I hope Oppo will address that soon, it makes no sence that you can't run them full range.
The loud thump/pop might be a deal breaker for me.

Chris

I am confident that they will fix the thump/pop through firmware as Oppo has acknowledged it as their problem. Unfortunately, they don't see the crossover issue as a bug, so there is no commitment to fix it at this point. If we start asking for it, I suspect they will do it, as it isn't that difficult to implement.

Mike
post #4334 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Quote:

This is the reply I got back. To be blunt, I know some things about some things, but do not know how to interpret this. I am wondering why they didn't just say they are working on a firmware fix. For the record, my amp is an outlaw 7075. I don't think there is any problem with the outlaw amp.

"If the input impedance of the receiver is low, then these errors may be present as the amplifier is amplifying the noise close to the Noise Floor. We would recommend using a 6dB to 12dB attenuator between the player and the amplifier's analog inputs and see if the same errors persist. If the errors persist, then it is possible that you have a defective unit and we would recommend having it replaced through the reseller that you bought the player form as it is possible that you have a defective unit."

Hmmm. My Anthem MCA-5 has a 21K input impedance, so I doubt that is a problem unless the 103 has a really high output impedance (it's not listed in the specs). As for adding an attenuator, that wouldn't work well for me as the volume at 100% is a bit too low for me so I wouldn't want it any lower.

Oppo 103/105 output impedance of 100 ohms on the RCA outputs, so your 21K i/p impedance is more than large enough to not load the Oppo output stage.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #4335 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:

I don't believe this is correct. If Sub is ON, LF/RF are Large, and the Surrounds and Center are Small then the Sub WILL get bass steered from the Surrounds and Center while LF/RF get sent their full frequency range. The Sub will need +15dB boost external to the player.
--Bob

My sub was completely dead even at full gain at the sub and the Oppo setup. Perhaps there was no bass content in the surrounds or center channel, but I doubt that. Also from Oppo:

"When the speakers are set to LARGE then there is no bass management for that speaker. So the subwoofer will only get LFE in this configuration. You will need to set the speakers to SMALL if you want bass management to occur for sources which do not have LFE signal."
post #4336 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Assuming you are playing these files via attached storage? sounds like your HDD is going into sleep mode against your wishes. This accounts for the freeze. Not an easy issue to resolve, but if it's a self-powered HDD you have no options but to try a different one.
As for subtitles, you should be able to turn them off with the subtitle button on the remote. If not than its an issue with how the files were made. Even if the OSd says that subtitles are "off", cycle them on and off again and it should resolve. this may re-occur if you stop and re-start the file.

It makes no difference whether you're using the front or rear USB ports.

Thanks for the advice. I will try the front USB port again and will use a different USB source (micro sdxc and usb card reader) to ensure the HD going to sleep isnt the issue.

As far as the closed caption goes, I did try to cycle many times, but will try again. Worst case is I just re-encode the files and remove closed caption. I dont use it anyway.

Thanks again.
post #4337 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Oppo 103/105 output impedance of 100 ohms on the RCA outputs, so your 21K i/p impedance is more than large enough to not load the Oppo output stage.

Thanks. That what I expected.
post #4338 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:

Thanks. That what I expected.

My amp has the following :
Input Impedance: Nominal 50k ohms

What does not mean with respect to the Oppo specs? Because I get a constant hiss and very loud pops and cracks when switching inputs, channels, Bluray chapters etc. I am thinking that my experieent to have an Oppo as a preamp has failed and I should break down and get a preamp.
post #4339 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 01:11 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by spakins View Post

1.) M2ts filies play for 20 minutes or so then freeze. Also, I can't turn off closed caption on any of them.

Someone forward me email from OPPO support where they say the stopping is a known problem with M2TS files, to be addressed in future firmware.

As an experiment you might try converting one to MKV to see how it works. I believe mkvmerge will do it.

Subtitles: don't know.

-Bill
post #4340 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Quote:

I don't believe this is correct. If Sub is ON, LF/RF are Large, and the Surrounds and Center are Small then the Sub WILL get bass steered from the Surrounds and Center while LF/RF get sent their full frequency range. The Sub will need +15dB boost external to the player.
--Bob

My sub was completely dead even at full gain at the sub and the Oppo setup. Perhaps there was no bass content in the surrounds or center channel, but I doubt that. Also from Oppo:

"When the speakers are set to LARGE then there is no bass management for that speaker. So the subwoofer will only get LFE in this configuration. You will need to set the speakers to SMALL if you want bass management to occur for sources which do not have LFE signal."

The OPPO comment is of course correct. Speakers that are set to Large do not get Crossover processing. That's what "Large" means in this context.

But with a mix of both Large and Small speakers, those Small speakers WILL get crossover processing.

So there was something else at work here. For example, if you were playing an SACD with DSD-direct-to-Analog Conversion engaged, then no audio processing is possible -- including no bass management. Use SACD Output PCM instead.

Also, just to cover the basics, those Speaker Configuration settings in the OPPO are only for the multi-channel Analog outputs. If you are using HDMI audio they have no effect. (Instead, there will be settings in your HDMI AVR for this.)
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #4341 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Netflix is certainly not the best source for using to evaluate the Qdeo processor. It's also possible that in spite of "High-HD" indicators, the PS3 could be receiving a higher bit rate stream. The current state of HD streaming on Netflix is at best unpredictable.

A better comparison might be a DVD. You'll see that same type of DNR in use on a DVD, but the difference falls more into the "personal preference" area and its not immediately obvious. Personally I prefer the output from HDMI-2 for all sources, other people feel the opposite.

I'm just really surprised that any modern video processor would apply noise reduction that can't be turned off. And if I switch to HDMI 2, I lose the great processing that I do want, like Qdeo's upscaling and 24fps DVD playback.

If I use the 103 to play Blu-ray discs, DVDs, and Netflix via HDMI 2, is it really providing any better performance than a cheaper player?
post #4342 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 01:36 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post

I'm just really surprised that any modern video processor would apply noise reduction that can't be turned off.

You haven't established that though. It's an assumption on your part.
post #4343 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just a quick question does the 103 have a streaming app for amazon prime? Thanks in advance

post #4344 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:

I'm just really surprised that any modern video processor would apply noise reduction that can't be turned off. And if I switch to HDMI 2, I lose the great processing that I do want, like Qdeo's upscaling and 24fps DVD playback.

If I use the 103 to play Blu-ray discs, DVDs, and Netflix via HDMI 2, is it really providing any better performance than a cheaper player?
The 103 does not use the QDEO processor for upscaling and 24fps DVD playback. It uses the Mediatek decoder.
post #4345 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despoiler View Post

You haven't established that though. It's an assumption on your part.

Others have said that it's noise reduction (see the post by rdgrimes above). The only thing I assumed is that they're right smile.gif
post #4346 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 149
? For you 103 owners. Is any of you experiencing any lockups on newly released bd? I ask this because my new Pio 62 is locking up on some scenes on movies like Looper. And had major lockups on newly release Dredd. If the 103 plays smoothly, im thinking of returning my 62 to get a 103 instead. Pioneer hasn't release any updates for the 62. Thanks..
post #4347 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 02:05 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Others have said that it's noise reduction (see the post by rdgrimes above). The only thing I assumed is that they're right smile.gif

I read what he said. He said nothing of the sort. He said it's more likely that it's a Netflix bit rate issue. ie that Netflix has a couple of different bit rates under each generic heading like High-HD and you are not getting the highest one. It's a lot more likely a scenario than always on DNR. In any case it needs to be proven what it is before people start repeating it as fact.
post #4348 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:

^^^

What's the difference between the 2 outputs video wise?
post #4349 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

Just a quick question does the 103 have a streaming app for amazon prime? Thanks in advance

Not native on the player. If you get the optional Roku Streaming Stick there is a Roku version app for Amazon. However, there have been some reports of video quality problems with that one (probably needs either an app or firmware update).
--Bob
lanping09 likes this.

post #4350 of 17943 Old 01-11-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despoiler View Post

I read what he said. He said nothing of the sort. He said it's more likely that it's a Netflix bit rate issue. ie that Netflix has a couple of different bit rates under each generic heading like High-HD and you are not getting the highest one. It's a lot more likely a scenario than always on DNR. In any case it needs to be proven what it is before people start repeating it as fact.

I'm referring to this post from Neuromancer, which references something rdgrimes apparently said previously about Marvell applying DNR by default. I'm not making this stuff up, I'm only going by what reliable contributors have said.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page