Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 17729 Old 10-09-2012, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, 24 hours into owning it and I am hooked but I was hoping my older player was the culprit of some video issues I was having. I posted a similar question on my displays thread but I figured that it might be more of a standard shortfall of all BD players so I'll ask my fellow Oppo owners.

So after owning my Sony NX810 55" display for sometime, and now a new Oppo BDP-103 player , I can't help but think that I must have a setting off when watching Blu-rays either on my display or my Blu-ray player. What I am experiencing is that the video will go out momentarily on my display and give a "No signal. Check the external input or select another input using the INPUT button." when flipping thru some of the discs previews and menus screens. This occurs with my new Oppo BDP-103 and my older Sony player. Is this normal and part of the video syncing? The video never goes out during movie playback. Only when toggling thru all the extra movie junk on a disc. A good example is on Avengers Blu-Ray when the disc is cued up and on the intro screen and I hit "PLAY". I have the same issue with both the Sony player and the new Oppo and I've tried the players thru a AVR receiver and directly into the TV using only HDMI 1. Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 17729 Old 10-09-2012, 09:25 PM

Liked: 13
It sounds like HDMI handshake...a pretty common occurrence when using HDMI.
post #453 of 17729 Old 10-09-2012, 09:47 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Anyone here have the Pansonic VT50? If so any handshake issues? I'm ordering one next month and want to make sure there aren't any surprises.
post #454 of 17729 Old 10-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I got my invite to order one early but I have a $280 credit with Amazon. It would be a sin to not use that. It's hard for me to wait though, because I have an 83, and last year held out on a 93 assuming the 103 was coming. Ughhhhh.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
post #455 of 17729 Old 10-09-2012, 10:22 PM

Buy direct from Oppo now. Sell your 83 for $300. Spend $280 on blu-rays, SACDs, and DVD-As from Amazon.
post #456 of 17729 Old 10-10-2012, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post

I was surprised at what the 83s are still commanding price-wise. You are likely to spend around $300 for a used 83. I think a brand new 103 is worth the extra $200. Much better features, networking that works well, better analog processing, plus a warranty you won't get buying used.
Recent Ebay auctions suggest they are going for almost as much as the 93, which is not good for me (I'm selling one of the latter to finance the 103)!
post #457 of 17729 Old 10-10-2012, 02:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post

I was surprised at what the 83s are still commanding price-wise. You are likely to spend around $300 for a used 83. I think a brand new 103 is worth the extra $200. Much better features, networking that works well, better analog processing, plus a warranty you won't get buying used.

I'm not surprised. I sold my 83 to a friend at work for 250 to buy a 95. I'm glad he enjoys it. But at times I wish I'd kept it. The 83 is still second to none in DVD upconversion, the 95 falling short of the 83 in that regard . For those who have a large dvd library (like myself) an 83 is a good player to have.
post #458 of 17729 Old 10-10-2012, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

Anyone here have the Pansonic VT50? If so any handshake issues? I'm ordering one next month and want to make sure there aren't any surprises.

I don't think we should call this an issue. It is just that if the movie has different resolutions/refresh rates in it (usually in menus, teasers and exdtra materials) and when player changes its output it causes slight delay until display sync to it. I'm not aware if any display can do this instantly without any pause. Not even the Panasonic you mentioned.
post #459 of 17729 Old 10-10-2012, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

It's a pretty hot topic, but in my home I do not feel the PS3 offers as good a blu-ray PQ experience as newer players. Just my 0.02.

I hear that a lot and even I myself sometimes have the same feeling but I find it hard to prove (like finding a scene that I can change between the two and always see the difference). Do you have any certain 1080/24p movie and scene where you see standalone player looks better?
Also has anyone seen lately any professional review doing such comparison (preferably with screenshots showing the difference) and what were the results?
post #460 of 17729 Old 10-10-2012, 04:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Vega View Post

Ok, 24 hours into owning it and I am hooked but I was hoping my older player was the culprit of some video issues I was having. I posted a similar question on my displays thread but I figured that it might be more of a standard shortfall of all BD players so I'll ask my fellow Oppo owners.
So after owning my Sony NX810 55" display for sometime, and now a new Oppo BDP-103 player , I can't help but think that I must have a setting off when watching Blu-rays either on my display or my Blu-ray player. What I am experiencing is that the video will go out momentarily on my display and give a "No signal.
Since this issue was happening with two separate players I'd suggested a couple things:

1) Check your HDMI cables if you have not done so already. A new "high speed" HDMI cable is only a few bucks these days from one of the forum sponsors so it would make sense to swap out a cable to see if that makes any difference. To start try a different cable with the player connected directly to the TV and work from there.

2) Check the firmware of your TV and AVR. FWIW, I noticed that Sony just released a new firmware update for your TV just a few days ago.
post #461 of 17729 Old 10-10-2012, 04:13 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Vega View Post

So after owning my Sony NX810 55" display for sometime, and now a new Oppo BDP-103 player , I can't help but think that I must have a setting off when watching Blu-rays either on my display or my Blu-ray player. What I am experiencing is that the video will go out momentarily on my display and give a "No signal. Check the external input or select another input using the INPUT button." when flipping thru some of the discs previews and menus screens. This occurs with my new Oppo BDP-103 and my older Sony player. Is this normal and part of the video syncing? The video never goes out during movie playback. Only when toggling thru all the extra movie junk on a disc. A good example is on Avengers Blu-Ray when the disc is cued up and on the intro screen and I hit "PLAY". I have the same issue with both the Sony player and the new Oppo and I've tried the players thru a AVR receiver and directly into the TV using only HDMI 1. Thanks in advance for your help.

As long as this is during the intro material and not during playback of the main feature it is pretty normal.

Blu-ray intro material can go through changes in frame rate and resolution which causes new HDMI handshakes. Some devices respond better than others to the convulsions of syncing everything up again. My Samsung just puts up the OSD briefly.

DVD was a simpler environment because it had only one type of content, meaning no changes during startup.

If you want to experiment, from theory and some practice I would expect:
  • HDMI2 would be better than HDMI1 in minimizing the handshakes
  • even on HDMI1, explicit 1080p would be better than Source Direct
  • ...and 1080p24 OFF would be better than ON (because you get constant 60hz output rather than switching between 60 and 24)

Once the feature is playing you could switch any of the above and get just one handshake per change.

-Bill
post #462 of 17729 Old 10-10-2012, 04:24 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

If you want to experiment, from theory and some practice I would expect:

...and, of course, the simpler the display chain, the better HDMI likes it. So I would expect a direct player->display connection to recover from handshakes faster than player->avr->display.

-Bill
post #463 of 17729 Old 10-10-2012, 04:30 AM

received my 103 yesterday and experimented for a bit last night. a few impressions:

(1) it is miles faster than my 93.
(2) bluray audio/video is on par with my 93, which is to say excellent.
(3) DVD upconversion is noticeably improved...looks great.
(4) HDMI inputs are a killer feature. uverse (1080i) appears to be sharper and smoother when deinterlaced by the 103 than when deinterlaced by the AVR (2312ci) or display (sharp elite)...although, TBF, this is difficult to A/B.
post #464 of 17729 Old 10-10-2012, 05:17 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by belvista View Post

Have the 105 on order and wondering if it will do the 2D to 3D conversion better than my new sharp 90 inch which admittedly I haven't tried yet? I'm betting on the Oppo but thought I'd see if anybody could shed light?

"Better" in the case of 2D to 3D conversion is pretty hard to quantify. It is an artificial effect, and so the main factor is whether you happen to like the effect on whatever you are watching at the moment.

In the 103 (and 105) it works without any gotchas, and there is a "Depth" setting in Setup which you can use to control how much 3Diosity it produces. You may find that tweaking that setting produces results you like better than what your display does, or you may prefer to just leave it on the default setting. It is entirely personal preference. There is a button on the remote which lets you enable/disable it on the fly. Note that going into or out of 3D output mode requires an HDMI handshake.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #465 of 17729 Old 10-10-2012, 06:51 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehale View Post

In following peoples connections on this thread- is it implied that if I hook up HDMI1 to my TV and HDMI 2 to my 4311 receiver that picture and audio would not change except for the fact that there would be fewer handshakes? I do not use the 3D features at all and only use 1 HDMI at the moment.
Dave

I recall with the BDP-93 there were cases where that was true, but I don't know if we can make a general rule. AVRs are all different. Best to try it and see.

-Bill
post #466 of 17729 Old 10-10-2012, 07:06 AM
Read the FAQ!

Dave,
There can't be fewer handshakes. The same NUMBER of handshakes will happen as that's driven by when the content changes format as you load discs, go through previews and menus, and start the feature.

The difference, if any, will be that the handshakes are faster -- i.e., fewer retries necessary to finally get to the correct result.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #467 of 17729 Old 10-10-2012, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Pulled the trigger! Can't wait to.....play:)
post #468 of 17729 Old 10-10-2012, 08:36 AM

My impressions so far,

2d to 3d, much better than the panasonic 310. Star wars III, opening scene is well worth watching. (downside, dts bomb, upside, thanks to these forums, installed new dsp firmware for my onkyo 905, dts bomb gone.) Also, being able to do 2d to 3d with external sources is cool, too.

I see that each hdmi output has video adjustments. is there a way for the adjustments to be applied to inputs? I ran my dishnetwork signal at 480i, tuned to a standard def channel, and was amazed at how good the picture looked, but that picture needs some noise adjustment, that i dont want to apply to the output, since i am only using one output.

SACD, DTS CD, and DVD audio all sound great, of course.

It is very convenient to not have to change inputs on the TV or the AVR... makes the setup much more wife friendly.... and is reducing hdmi handshakes. Also, this player has made it so i dont have to replace my onkyo 905, since i dont have to depend on it for video anymore (it does not pass 3d) !

I owned the 93, and this player is definetly superior, in my setup.

One day i may try to compare the analog out sound versus hdmi, but i am in no hurry since everything sounds great!
post #469 of 17729 Old 10-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ In the current firmware there is no way to switch Picture Adjustment settings automatically according to the Input you are using or the type of content you are playing.

However the Picture Adjustment settings for both the HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 outputs each include a Mode line at the top that lets you switch between 3 different settings combos of your choice. For example, for testing purposes, I set Mode 2 in Picture Adjustment > HDMI 1 to have some Noise Reduction applied. By switching to Mode 2, I get that setting (and any other settings differences I might have entered) without actually having to go to the various adjustment lines and move through their values.

In addition, if you press and hold Setup you will find it is a shortcut to the Picture Adjustment sub-menu. So if you are using HDMI 1 output, press and hold Setup, select HDMI 1, and then Left/Right Arrow to cycle through your 3 Mode configurations. Then press Setup again to exit the menus.
--Bob

post #470 of 17729 Old 10-10-2012, 09:24 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehale View Post

I dont think I have seen it mentioned here that the internal GB space was lowered from 2 to 1 on the 103 and the system specs were lowered somewhat although no one can probably tell the difference.

What system specs in particular were lowered?

Also, i'm not sure if it's been mentioned but does anybody know if the 103 supports selectable subtitles in MKV files?
post #471 of 17729 Old 10-10-2012, 09:34 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

I've got a 55" VT50 ... so far, no handshake issues that I've seen (although I haven't really played with the HDMI inputs at all - been debating running my cable box through it, but didn't know if I'd always want to have the 103 on to watch TV). The only image issue I've had (and Bob confirmed it was a 103 issue and not a display-specific issue) was the screen saver not wiping a couple of columns of pixels along the left side of the screen.
post #472 of 17729 Old 10-10-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Kompany View Post

received my 103 yesterday and experimented for a bit last night. a few impressions:
(1) it is miles faster than my 93
you mean in regards to load-times?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Kompany View Post

(3) DVD upconversion is noticeably improved...looks great
actually that noticeable to the eye?
post #473 of 17729 Old 10-10-2012, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopaddiction View Post

What system specs in particular were lowered?
Also, i'm not sure if it's been mentioned but does anybody know if the 103 supports selectable subtitles in MKV files?

Sorry Loopaddition as I had read that wrong under the "Audio Chracteristics" on their website:)
Dave
post #474 of 17729 Old 10-10-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

you mean in regards to load-times?

actually that noticeable to the eye?

(1) yes. but it also seems more responsive to commands.
(2) in my system, and compared to the 93, the difference was noticeable. not night and day but noticeable. sharper.
post #475 of 17729 Old 10-10-2012, 10:28 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopaddiction View Post

Yes, and that was also available in previous OPPO players.

Embedded subtitles work both locally (and with SMB) and over DLNA. UTF8 encoding is supported. (Does MKV require that? Mkvmerge converts everything to UTF8).

External subtitles work locally and with SMB but not over DLNA; it doesn't seem to be a DLNA feature. The supported encoding seems to be Windows cp1252, similar to standard ISO 8859-1.

-Bill
loopaddiction likes this.
post #476 of 17729 Old 10-10-2012, 10:46 AM

Getting my new BDP-103 today and can't wait to see how it works. I am passing off my old 83 to a relative and hope he enjoys it. I am excited to see Netflix and other streaming services on 103. However, a question for the experts. I also own a Roku 2|XS for Netflix and I am wondering how the video processing on the Roku compares to that of 103?

For what it's worth, here's my set up:

- Oppo BDP-103
- Onkyo TX-NR809
- Panasonic Viera TH-50PZ800U
- Klipsch RF 7ii reference speakers (5.1) with Rel T2 sub woofer
- Roku 2|XS
- Apple TV (first generation).

I hope to upgrade my TV to 4K when the time and price is right.

I'm excited - naturally. Any advice?

Andy

A PBS mind in Reality TV world.
post #477 of 17729 Old 10-10-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

There can't be fewer handshakes. The same NUMBER of handshakes will happen as that's driven by when the content changes format as you load discs, go through previews and menus, and start the feature...

Bob, you keep saying this, but some players simply don't initiate another handshake during a source format change if they are set to output a fixed format. The input is simply converted internally to the requested output format that is already known to be supported. I'm not the only one to have commented on this. Yes those are probably single chip designs, but Oppo should be able to do this easily with HDMI 2, even if it's harder with HDMI 1.
post #478 of 17729 Old 10-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Read the FAQ!

Athanur,
I've not used the Roku XS, only the new Roku Streaming Stick which is REPUTED to be the same thing in different packaging.

If that's the case, then you will find the quality of the native apps in the 103 (like Netflix) significantly better than what the Roku is producing. Every single one of the Beta testers using the Roku stick has agreed on this. Again, I'm not sure the Roku stick and the Roku XS are the same.
--Bob

post #479 of 17729 Old 10-10-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
OK 103 ordered. Have a question about the HDMI inputs. Can I run the output of my D2 Pre/Pro through the 103? Is this going to create handshake hell? Bob have you tried this on the D2v? I'm hoping to only have one HDMI cable going to the projector from HDMI 1 on the 103.
post #480 of 17729 Old 10-10-2012, 11:09 AM

Ran through the Color Space tests with the Spears & Munsil disc. RGB Video was the winner with my Pioneer FD-151. Not a lot of difference with most of the test patterns, but the Chroma Multiburst and Chroma Zone tests were the deciding factors. Compared to RGB, the other options had brightness fall off.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page