Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 172 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 287Likes

post #5131 of 19407 Old 02-01-2013, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just received and hooked up my BDP 103. Watched the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan. Wow!!!!
Ricker62 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5132 of 19407 Old 02-01-2013, 07:54 PM

Liked: 10
I just received and hooked up the 103 that replaces an 83.

I have a MAC and currently use Apple TV connected for Netflix, iTunes and iPhoto that plays thru my AV processor.

I have a question:
I cannot get my iTunes and iPhoto to play and thru the 103, the 103 would not accept my user name and P/W.
I hooked an Ethernet connection up to make sure I could get a proper signal for a good connection and I also did a wireless set up, both worked for YouTube AND I downloaded a firmware upgrade which would indicate that the 103 is connected to the internet.

The Manual states that there may be some software that needs to be downloaded or the hardware needs to be reconfigured.

Any advice on what I need to do, or check if I have done something wrong?

Thanks

Greg
post #5133 of 19407 Old 02-01-2013, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee14 View Post

I just received and hooked up the 103 that replaces an 83.

I have a MAC and currently use Apple TV connected for Netflix, iTunes and iPhoto that plays thru my AV processor.

I have a question:
I cannot get my iTunes and iPhoto to play and thru the 103, the 103 would not accept my user name and P/W.
I hooked an Ethernet connection up to make sure I could get a proper signal for a good connection and I also did a wireless set up, both worked for YouTube AND I downloaded a firmware upgrade which would indicate that the 103 is connected to the internet.

The Manual states that there may be some software that needs to be downloaded or the hardware needs to be reconfigured.

Any advice on what I need to do, or check if I have done something wrong?

Thanks

Greg

You need to run a DLNA server on your MAC that has good iLife integration. Sharing iTunes and iphoto basic folders is messy and clunky.

The best Mac DLNA server that integrated with iphoto and iTunes is called Playback DLNA. It's $15 but you can download a 7 day trial to test. It works with iphoto events, iTunes playlists ... Very nicely.

Simply run the server on your Mac, configure and then the server will pop up on the Oppo.

http://www.yazsoft.com/products/playback/
post #5134 of 19407 Old 02-01-2013, 09:41 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

You need to run a DLNA server on your MAC that has good iLife integration. Sharing iTunes and iphoto basic folders is messy and clunky.

The best Mac DLNA server that integrated with iphoto and iTunes is called Playback DLNA. It's $15 but you can download a 7 day trial to test. It works with iphoto events, iTunes playlists ... Very nicely.

Simply run the server on your Mac, configure and then the server will pop up on the Oppo.

http://www.yazsoft.com/products/playback/
I've only had the 103 a very short time, but it did not seem to have any problem locating my Plex Media Server, might want to give that a try as well (and it is free)
post #5135 of 19407 Old 02-01-2013, 09:45 PM

Looks pretty good plus there is a free bundle that was a neat retrieve feature.

Question:
Does this increase my on video and audio quality from my computer to my TV projector and AV processor compared to the Apple TV.

In other words does the computer inhibit the quality out or can the 103 improve them compared to the Apple TV, which i have the latest version.

Thanks again for the software needed

Greg
post #5136 of 19407 Old 02-02-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I don't use any of them. In general it seems that the "Pro" kits cause the most problems and cost the most. The "bluraychip.dk" company seems to have the worst support.

I have installed and used bluraychip on my oppo 83 for over 4 years and I have installed and used the pro kit on the 103 for couple of month without a hitch. The most important thing I found is to follow the instructions to the letter. I found no quality video or sound effects.

HC
post #5137 of 19407 Old 02-02-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

That's two mysteries:

(1) Why a change to the Samba parameters changes DLNA sorting. Do you know what DLNA server is being used? Do you somehow have it set to access SMB on the same server?

(2) Why SMB authentication has changed. Does the NAS come with some sort of control panel? Perhaps it objects to changing server configuration behind the scenes.

SMB authentication still needs some work on the OPPO side and we are hoping for future improvements.

-Bill

Hi Bill

I deactivated Dirsort and Oppo can now access my ReadyNAS. For now I will leave with the deorganized library when accesing the NAS with the Oppo. For DLAN access I am using the ReadyDLNA that came with my ReadyNAS and it has its own sorting fueature so the navigation is OK.

regards
post #5138 of 19407 Old 02-02-2013, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Use HDMI 1 for video direct to the display and HDM 2 direct to the receiver for audio. This will fix your issues. The errors were introduced in the 1.64 firmware for your Yamaha. OPPO is looking into possibly resolving this issue through their own firmware, but this is really something that Yamaha should be fixing on their end.

Yes, I got the same message by e-mail from the Oppo support guy. But that suggestion does not solve my problem.
See my post over on the Yamaha thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415108/the-official-yamaha-aventage-rx-a1020-rx-a2020-and-rx-a3020-thread/300#post_22913730
post #5139 of 19407 Old 02-02-2013, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Change the player to LPCM instead of Bit Stream is the issues persist. Also go bug Yamaha that their receiver has introduced this error with their firmware releases.
post #5140 of 19407 Old 02-02-2013, 03:30 PM

I have had my Oppo since December and have applied all the firmware with success but, I am having an issue that I can't seem to solve. I previously had a Panasonic DMP-BDT320, enjoyed it, with no issues and was fine until I started reading all of the reviews of the Oppo and Decided to give myself an early Christmas gift. IMHO I think the picture of the Oppo is... softer, for lack of a better word, the detail, clarity and pop I expect is simply not there on Blu-ray, and SD content is improved minimally. Some will say the Panny added sharpness and therefore artifacts but honestly there was no ringing or other artifacts that were noticeable and the only issue I had was motion judder on medium pans which may or may not be the players fault, although this is somewhat better with the Oppo. I actually had to set the sharpness to +1 to get closer to what I would expect but still this wasn't as sharp as the Panny ultimately and anything over +1 added slight ringing. My display is a JVS RS25U. On SD content I had to adjust further, maybe it was the transfer but Saving Private Ryan looked close to awful, especially the first scene with Ryan his white shirt looks ridiculous. I had to lower the sharpness to -1 and change the noise reduction to +2.

My issue is that I have a feeling of deja vu, back when 480p started becoming mainstream in homes, I put up $400 for a Pioneer Elite DVD player because like all a lot of us, I wanted the best available to me, which was supposed to be a big step up from my Sony at the time. However once I got the unit home I was unimpressed in comparison, the picture was "bland" to me and upon calling the dealer, he explained that I might need to adjust to watching a "proper" dvd player with correct flesh tones. So I said fine and ended up sticking with it but always had a nagging in the back of my head, or buyer’s remorse. I am sort of feeling the same way here, I have had my projector ISF calibrated and everything and all I did was a swap players so it’s not the display. Also this issue I think I am experiencing here is less subjective, where color is something each of us might see differently and is ultimately up to the viewer preference in light of standards, focus and clarity is less so and should be relatively uniform, which is why this is bugging me so much.

I would like to first find out if it is something I have setup wrong, I have tried running hdmi audio and video separate to the preamp and pj respectively as well as the single hdmi always with the display running through HDMI 1, anyhow no difference was noticeable. Am I running the HDMI through the correct output? I have the settings on the player at 1080p/ 24hz (Auto)/ 4:4:4.

Secondly, I would like to know is this what I should expect and am I expecting something that can't be delivered, which is possible but like I said I felt the previous player delivered on the clarity but slow/medium pans were an issue.

Thirdly, though not likely, could this simply be a result of expecting something to be good so everyone ( i.e. reviewers) jumps on the bandwagon almost regardless of actual performance, thereby motivating someone like me to buy, but because I am not biased, feel a little disappointed?

Lastly has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have any suggestions to help? Because, I ultimately feel it is something with my settings or setup, I will try to post comparison pics later.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I am just trying to get Blu-ray to look properly sharp first, SD is a whole other disappointment that I will have to deal with, I just feel like for the money and positive reviews, this thing should look distinctly impressive almost out of the box.
post #5141 of 19407 Old 02-02-2013, 03:45 PM

Liked: 14
I just returned to Oppo a couple of weeks ago (I jumped ship back in the early Blu-Ray days, when Oppo first didn't have a player, and then didn't have a region-hackable player; I've had two other machines since which didn't make me very happy), and I'm overall delighted with the 103. I've noticed one odd quirk, however, which I haven't seen addressed here (which may just be the weakness of my search-fu; I can't think of applicable but unusual search terms).

When playing a file (usually mkv) from my network (specifically, a WD LiveTV), the information often (but not always) gets the run-time wrong. But when the same show is highlighted in the directory listing, the correct length shows up. It's only a very minor nuisance; when I'm checking how much time is left I have to remember the overall length and do the math. But a (very) slightly less minor nuisance is when I fast-forward and it reaches the point that it thinks is the length of the show, it throws me out. E.g., if a 45-minute show registers as 3 minutes, and I'm FFing past the opening credits, when it hits 3 minutes I'm thrown out.

So my question is, is this a known issue? Is there anything to be done about it in terms of getting the Oppo to correctly recognize the length of a show while playing?

Thanks!

AKA Rob Helmerichs
post #5142 of 19407 Old 02-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medieval Guy View Post

Is there anything to be done about it in terms of getting the Oppo to correctly recognize the length of a show while playing?
Perhaps this an issue with your DLNA server (the WD LiveTV) or the media file encoding since it is inconsistent?

Using the Oppo with several different DLNA servers I have not observed this issue.
post #5143 of 19407 Old 02-02-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
In setting up my Oppo 103 I have fund that dual HDMI with video going directly to my Kuro 151 and audio to my integra dhc- 80.2 leads to better audio with my AIX hi def music blu rays. I do notice that my Integra occasionally gives me a resolution error.

What is causing this? Is there a way to turn off the video going to the Integra?
post #5144 of 19407 Old 02-02-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Another is issue is use of my home network. I have 2000 CDs ripped in various formats that reside in my whs 2011 server. I use LMS 7.7.2 , iPeng, and my Itouch to feed my Integra via SPIDF coax. Is there any benefit to using the OPPO to access my ripped CDs?

Also I have lots home videos on my server. It would be nice to pay those on the Oppe.

What is a good course of action to enable the latter , and if I would get better quality using the oppo and HDMI for sound the former?

Thanks.

Joel
post #5145 of 19407 Old 02-02-2013, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Change the player to LPCM instead of Bit Stream is the issues persist.

You can't be serious? Correct me if I am wrong, but PCM does not support 5.1 or 7.1 and hi-res audio. If it was as simple as just selecting PCM then I would probably have done it already...
Quote:

Also go bug Yamaha that their receiver has introduced this error with their firmware releases.

Ok. But please help me to bug them. I am having trouble even to get an e-mail address where I can contact them. So if you have one then please let me know...
post #5146 of 19407 Old 02-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I have just set up my 103 today and I have some questions to the experienced guys here.

First of all, I am using the Oppo with a 'Windows Server 2012 Essentials', which is Windows 8. It worked right out of the box with DLNA. The WSE 2012 is a DLNA Server.
I can even access .iso files on the server, with no problem and play single .m2ts files without using Pismo or something else.
I used Pismo in this setuo but if I do so, the stream directory is empty.
If I try to access the server itself - I quess SMB - it asks me for a login and password and if I enter this, I can also access the directories but sometimes they are shown as empty.

I also had some problems with the Ethernet connection. After the first time I used it, the Oppo didn't get an IP address via DHCP repeatedly and even power off and pulling the AC plug didn't help. Also entering an IP address manually didn't help. Then I switched to WiFi and this worked. A bit weird. As if the Ethernet connection was dead.

Has somebody else experienced something like this? Is this a known bug?

I also compared the 103 to my Denon DVD 3800 BDCI, which has a Realta T2 chip and found, that the picture is quite similar but the sound is quite different. I have both connected to my Denon AVP-A1HD 3D and found that the surround panorama is a bit different but especially the highs and the bass are more prominent with the Oppo than with the Denon. The sound is quite different. Both are connected via HDMI. This should be the same, but it isn't.
However, this is just a first impression. I still have to compare the up-scaling capabilities for DVDs, which I didn't had time now and listen and watch much more material. However, it seems I will keep the Denon and the 103, the latter due to its far superior network capabilities.

If you play an .iso, what do you play with the Oppo? Single files or can you press play on the root or in another directory? I have no clue. Single files work, but sometimes you have several files and they are not in the correct order etc.

Thank you in advance for your answers.
post #5147 of 19407 Old 02-02-2013, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

You can't be serious? Correct me if I am wrong, but PCM does not support 5.1 or 7.1 and hi-res audio. If it was as simple as just selecting PCM then I would probably have done it already...
You're wrong. wink.gif PCM indeed can be transmitted via 5.1 as well as 7.1. Given that PCM is uncompressed audio, it is, by definition, high resolution. There are even a few BD discs with 7.1 LPCM audio: http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php
post #5148 of 19407 Old 02-02-2013, 05:28 PM

February is here, still no sign of the Android media control app for the 103? ;(
post #5149 of 19407 Old 02-02-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

Quote:

Change the player to LPCM instead of Bit Stream is the issues persist.

Oh yes, he is serious and you are incorrect. Outputting LPCM from the OPPO is identical to outputting Bit Stream except that the AVR converts to LPCM (first step) instead of the OPPO.
Mike_WI likes this.
post #5150 of 19407 Old 02-02-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

When playing a file (usually mkv) from my network (specifically, a WD LiveTV), the information often (but not always) gets the run-time wrong. But when the same show is highlighted in the directory listing, the correct length shows up. It's only a very minor nuisance; when I'm checking how much time is left I have to remember the overall length and do the math. But a (very) slightly less minor nuisance is when I fast-forward and it reaches the point that it thinks is the length of the show, it throws me out. E.g., if a 45-minute show registers as 3 minutes, and I'm FFing past the opening credits, when it hits 3 minutes I'm thrown out.
!

If you play these files through local storage, do you experience the same errors.?

Are the files 720p and larger than 2GB in size? If yes, then this is a known issue with DLNA streaming with the current firmware release. Upgrading the firmware in the future will resolve these errors.
post #5151 of 19407 Old 02-02-2013, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

February is here, still no sign of the Android media control app for the 103? ;(

Not yet. OPPO is working on designing a new application and is only in the design phase at this point. The previous application was designed around the limitations of the BDP-9x series of players, and with the newer players being bi-directional for IP communication, OPPO wants to take the application a step further. This will take some time, however.
post #5152 of 19407 Old 02-02-2013, 07:09 PM

Much appreciated, sounds like the wait will be worth it!
post #5153 of 19407 Old 02-02-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:

If you play these files through local storage, do you experience the same errors.?
No.
Quote:

Are the files 720p and larger than 2GB in size? If yes, then this is a known issue with DLNA streaming with the current firmware release. Upgrading the firmware in the future will resolve these errors.
720p, but not that big.

AKA Rob Helmerichs
post #5154 of 19407 Old 02-02-2013, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It could be the DLNA server which is causing the issue. Try using a different DLNA server such as oShare and see if the same errors occur.
post #5155 of 19407 Old 02-02-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:

It could be the DLNA server which is causing the issue. Try using a different DLNA server such as oShare and see if the same errors occur.
I'm not sure how to install such a thing on a WD TV Live Hub?

AKA Rob Helmerichs
post #5156 of 19407 Old 02-02-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

There is known, exclusive, A/V sync issue with Total Recall which affect the BDP-10x series of players where is drifts out of sync. This will be resolved along with the general A/V sync issues that people have been experiencing through the next firmware release

Is this due to the fact that Total Recall is one of those oddball titles that's encoded at 24fps instead of 23.976?
post #5157 of 19407 Old 02-02-2013, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm not sure how to install such a thing on a WD LiveTV?

Run it on the PC and then share the files that are stored on the WDL box. You will basically use the computer as a network hub in this sense. See if the same errors occur.
post #5158 of 19407 Old 02-02-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post

Is this due to the fact that Total Recall is one of those oddball titles that's encoded at 24fps instead of 23.976?

It shouldn't be. I have tried playing the Lives of Others which is 24Hz and it doesn't have the same issues. I just blame incorrect encoding practices by Sony.
post #5159 of 19407 Old 02-02-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:

Run it on the PC and then share the files that are stored on the WDL box. You will basically use the computer as a network hub in this sense. See if the same errors occur.
It's the same on the Oppo no matter which server I use, but if I play it through the WD the run-time shows correctly.

AKA Rob Helmerichs
post #5160 of 19407 Old 02-02-2013, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Just to put in my 2 cents on the Yamaha/Oppo issue: Had my 103 for a week, everything was fine till last night. I have a Yamaha RX-V671 AVR and I'm running the HDMI signal split from the Oppo, 1 to my display and 2 to the AVR. Last night, I had the "mute" issue already discussed on here, and I had power issues with the Yamaha (turning off, it would turn back on by itself). I have a Harmony 520 remote and originally blamed it, reset all the commands with no improvement. Found a forum that was talking about this and discovered I had to go into the AVR's setup and turn off the "HDMI Control" and things have been fine since, hope this may help someone with a similar issue.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page