Forum Jump: 

post #5311 of 17986 Old 02-06-2013, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by esh516 View Post

OK..from a previous post,I was told to use HDMI two with the sharpness level at +1.. Great pic,but now its suppose to be HDMI one with the sharpness level at +1?.. I thought HDMI one was the preffered input and the better processer?.. Anyway I'm getting a great pic from both HDMI outputs but I have not tryed HDMI one with sharpness at +1.. Will try that now! Thanks !

I recieved an email from Oppo saying until they investigate the issue to use HDMI and sharpness +1, but they also go on to say in that same email that if that doesn't sufice to use HDMI 2 with no sharpness. Long story short use either one while they look into the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 17986 Old 02-06-2013, 05:38 PM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

On SMB the BDMV folder must be nested inside one called AVCHD. This is a trick to get around BDA restrictions.

Blu-ray ISO is not supported directly, but there is a related trick over SMB: How do you play Blu-ray ISO files over SMB?

As I always caution: the restrictions on these techniques are always increasing. The studios don't want you doing it at all and they control the Blu-ray world.

-Bill

Thanks, it worked like a charm! No skips or stuttering over SMB.

However, although I don't have many 3D discs, at least a couple of them look like they have Cinavia, if I keep the protection in place will the Oppo be able to read it since the AACS key would still be there?
post #5313 of 17986 Old 02-06-2013, 07:22 PM

Liked: 15
After reading all of the +1 comments, I decided to change my HDMI 1 sharpness setting. Popped in Cars 2, looks great! Using an old Samsung, 46" LCD about six years old that still looks good (next will be a bigger 3D model- wife says, when this one breaks).
post #5314 of 17986 Old 02-06-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Sadly, I'm only a few days away from the end of my return window, and it looks like I might be sending the 103 back and making do with the PS3 for a little while. I really want to like it, but I'm definitely not a fan of Sharpness at +1 on my setup, which exhibits slight ringing artifacts on test patterns. If HDMI 1 ends up looking like that after (if?) Oppo finds the problem and updates the firmware, I wouldn't consider that acceptable. It's also a bit annoying to have to switch to Source Direct just to use Netflix without heavy noise reduction and motion artifacts. Netflix on the 103 is a bit buggy overall, really. Better to hang back for a while and buy in again if things work out than take a risk and end up with a $500 player I don't like.

Kind of bummed, but I'll be keeping an eye on the thread. I'm sure Oppo will come through with a solution that makes the majority of users thrilled with their purchase. I certainly won't find better support elsewhere, that's for sure.
lanping09 likes this.
post #5315 of 17986 Old 02-06-2013, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by 117olddude View Post

(next will be a bigger 3D model- wife says, when this one breaks).

I believe this can be arranged.....? biggrin.gif

Dave

post #5316 of 17986 Old 02-07-2013, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I like the Pandora interface on the 103 much more than the one on my SR7007. Just an observation.

BDP103>SR7007>55"ES8000
post #5317 of 17986 Old 02-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobearQSI View Post

Just because the devices in your home don't, doens't mean that none do. Computer to computer transfers alone make enough sense to use gigabit thoughout the house. You never know when you're going to move things around or add in a computer.

Even though you may not need Gigabit now, it makes sense to put it in to future-proof things. Either that, or pay a little now and more later. Most computer hard drives are capable of a bare minimum read speed of 50 MB per second (that would be 400 Mbps), most are more. If you ever end up streaming HD video from your computer to your future Xbox, XBox 720, Wii U, HTPC, new TV with streaming, someone's laptop, someone's ipad, _insert_future_device_here_, and you want to be able to have someone else use the laptop, streaming TV, etc. while you are streaming from your Oppo all at the same time, without hiccups, you're going to need a better than 10/100 link to you PC holding all the content.

On the other hand, if only one device is ever going to be in use at any one time, and you never plan to change this, then yes, a 10/100 switch should be fine for a perfect experience on your Oppo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Jed:

Thanks for your input on this matter and i would agree with you that most media components would not need to communicate past 100Mbps BUT i have a new Synology DS1812+ NAS with 3 SATAIII 3-TB Western Digital RED drives and (2) GbE ports. My drives have an internal transfer rate of almost 400MB/s and yet the Gigabit port is saturated at a theoretical data rate of 125MB/s (1000Mbps/8), so the GbE port is the bottleneck here. I need to have these speeds to support multiple HD streams and other media streams in my house, so yes, i do need a switch capable of 1000Mbps data rates.

- David

Again sorry for the length of time to respond as I got hold of a Netgear 10/100/1000 switch from my friend before he returned it to Staples as he didn't need it.

First, I installed a structured media panel and wired my home for gigabit ethernet a few years ago when I was rewiring the electric a few years ago. My panel and all the modules are Channel Vision, the wiring is Belden BE-7914s bannana peel cable, and the terminations are levitron for internet and phone and Thomas and Bettes for cable. The modules and the termations are wired to the 568A standard. My computers are a 2 year old HP with a 6 core AMD chip and a 7 year old that I built myself with a 2 core AMD chip. I also have an Onkyo RT-990 (SR-609) and the OPPO BDP83 on the network. All the devices have 10/100 ethernet ports in them. My both computers is connected to my Netgear 10/100 switch so the transfers will go from one computer to the switch and then back to the other computer.

I transfered some music CDs that I just ripped to WMA lossless. This makes the files about 500mb in size. The transfer rate between the two computers was a stable 12.3MB/second. I then put the 10/100/1000 switch in place and the transfer rate was still only 12.3MB/second. I also streamed some music to the Onkyo while doing this and it didn't even make a dent in the transfer rate. I then streamed a video to the OPPO from one computer and streamed a song to the Onkyo with the other computer while transfering a large file between both computers and the transfer rate fell to 12.1MB/second.
I also did some research and the only device made with a 10/100/1000 ethernet port is the Playstation 3. Also I think the most speed wireless ethernet is 54mbps which is not quite 7MB/second and that would be with no traffic and interference. The OPPOs can only be streamed to so the maximum bit rate coming into the OPPO will be about 40mbps, which is the peak rate for Blu ray Disc. This means you can stream two diferent movies to two different OPPOs and still have 20mbps left on your local network. The files that would be accessed with I pads and phones will be quite small and have little effect on the local network speed. The highest demand device on your local network would be streaming a Blu ray movie from a server to the OPPO. Well below that will be HD Netflix and Vudu streams. Music streams are down in the kilobit range.

I am not against the use of 10/100/1000 gear but I think this is not really pratical in a home enviroment. Even in the future I can not see the need for any capacity over 100mbps. As I stated before the bottle neck I have is with the internet connected hardware in my home as they all have 10/100 ehterent ports on them. If 10/100/1000 gear was the same price as the 10/100 gear then I would have purchased it now. Maybe down the road when my 10/100 gear fails I will replace it with gigabit gear if the prices come down.
Also because of the OPPO and my new Onkyo I have been bitten by the streaming bug. I never thought I would be doing this and I have a lot of things to learn. Dam these OPPOs!biggrin.gif
lanping09 likes this.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #5318 of 17986 Old 02-07-2013, 12:19 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddmania View Post

I won't be using it for anything other than watching blu-ray movie's on it,no streaming no Netflix.
HDMI 1 was to be connected to a 3D TV and I don't want to miss the processing provided by Qdeo which HDMI 2 doesn't provide.

Any suggestion / recommendations for best using the two HDMI inputs to manage multiple sources with a receiver?

Would you use HDMI 2, with the minimal amount of processing for watching Bluray discs, and using the additional processing of HDMI1 for cleaning up picture from video sources coming through the receiver? I suspect that the Blurays require the least amount of processing.

I've got a cable box (SA-8300HD) and HTPC (for DVD, streaming video, and to connect to my WHS2011 server) running through the HDMI inputs on my receiver (Onkyo-709) and was considering running AVR video out to HDMI In on the OPPO to take advantage of the Qdeo processing for the DVDs and video files I've got stored on the HTPC.

Would this create too many handshake issues? Is that the best way to get the best picture from my sources? Does it create an unmanageable loop?

(also, my apologies if this is a dupe. I thought I had posted a similar request (or saw one), but can't seem to find it.)

Onkyo NR-709 / OPPO-103
Paradigm Mini Monitors v2 / Atoms (rears) / CC-370
Samsung 59D6500 Plasma
Server: WHS2011, i5 2500k CPU
HTPC1(LR):Win8 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
HTPC2(BR):Win8 Pro 64-bit, i3 2105, Radeon 6770
post #5319 of 17986 Old 02-07-2013, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm a bit confused,
What exactly is the issue with HDMI 1 set to 0 that even has Oppo telling owners to set it to +1 until the firmware update?

When I switch to + 1 sharpness I get a very drastic change. Is this preferred?

Should source direct be a better solution- since it would bypass all processing and just send a pure signal?

(Sorry- I'm not a major tech head- so a little hand holding helps)
Thanks.
post #5320 of 17986 Old 02-07-2013, 12:36 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes View Post

I'm a bit confused,
What exactly is the issue with HDMI 1 set to 0 that even has Oppo telling owners to set it to +1 until the firmware update?

Should source direct be a better solution- since it would bypass all processing and just send a pure signal?

Thanks.

0 seems too soft to some viewers. OPPO is investigating if this is a bug,

"Preferred" is up to you. What looks best to you? Test patterns are valuable but they show things hard to distinguish in real movies.

I leave it at 0 for now because I just don't have time for exhaustive testing and other people are working on it. I do often switch between HDMI1 & 2 just to see what HDMI2 looks like.

-Bill
post #5321 of 17986 Old 02-07-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

0 seems too soft to some viewers. OPPO is investigating if this is a bug,

"Preferred" is up to you. What looks best to you? Test patterns are valuable but they show things hard to distinguish in real movies.

I leave it at 0 for now because I just don't have time for exhaustive testing and other people are working on it. I do often switch between HDMI1 & 2 just to see what HDMI2 looks like.

-Bill
Agreed, what's best is what's best for you...

For me... I have my Oppo directly connected to my TV via HDMI 1 and '0' works perfectly. There's no blurring... right down to a single pixel level.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #5322 of 17986 Old 02-07-2013, 01:25 PM

Liked: 13
Just popt in 300 the sound played but the picture is blanck, turned it off then on and still the same?!!
Anyone had this problem? I didn't tried anything another BD will do that when I get home.
post #5323 of 17986 Old 02-07-2013, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
If you are using Split A/V, ensure that you are on the proper input on the display.

Try changing the output resolutions as you may be in 4K.
post #5324 of 17986 Old 02-07-2013, 01:49 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

If you are using Split A/V, ensure that you are on the proper input on the display.

Try changing the output resolutions as you may be in 4K.
I'm using HDMI 1 connected to the AVR and from the AVR to the TV, 3D is switched off because my TV doesn't support 3D.
post #5325 of 17986 Old 02-07-2013, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I'm a bit confused,

Thanks.
I tried changing the sharpness to +1 and there is no difference. The picture I get with 0 or +1 is incredible!!

-46" SAMSUNG-ENERGY RC-50'S-ENERGY RC-LCR-ENERGY RC-10'S-PSA XV15se-PIONEER ELITE SC-25-OPPO BDP 103Dhttp://www.avsforum.com/g/a/1459339/default/
post #5326 of 17986 Old 02-07-2013, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I'm a bit confused,

Thanks.
I tried changing the sharpness to +1 and there is no difference. The picture I get with 0 or +1 is incredible!!
lanping09 likes this.

-46" SAMSUNG-ENERGY RC-50'S-ENERGY RC-LCR-ENERGY RC-10'S-PSA XV15se-PIONEER ELITE SC-25-OPPO BDP 103Dhttp://www.avsforum.com/g/a/1459339/default/
post #5327 of 17986 Old 02-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post

I then put the 10/100/1000 switch in place and the transfer rate was still only 12.3MB/second. ... The OPPOs can only be streamed to so the maximum bit rate coming into the OPPO will be about 40mbps, which is the peak rate for Blu ray Disc. ... I am not against the use of 10/100/1000 gear but I think this is not really pratical in a home enviroment.

First, the read and write speed between 2 computers depends on the speeds of the drives, etc (A USB 2.0 attached hard drive likely won't see read/write above 15 MB/second). I regularly get Windows reporting 125 MB/s reads and writes to my server, and dusmoke said the same. It makes me want a 2 GB connection.

As for the Oppo - 40mbps is the maximum VIDEO rate on a BD, I think the maximum overall rate with PIP and audio is 54mbps. That's just 2D. With 3D, the video rate alone is allowed up to 60Mbps, and most ripping software has problems and actually doubles the video, so you get 80 instead of 60. That means, with one person streaming an 80Mbps 3D Blu-ray file to their Oppo, there's no room left for someone else to simultaneously stream any other Blu-ray.

Lastly, I regularly show slide shows on my living room computer/TV from the server - these are 8-16 Megapixel DSLR images saved at maximum JPEG compression. When I had only 100Mbps, it was sluggish in that it took 1 to 2 seconds to display the next image when hitting the advance key. After upgrading to gigabit, it's now very snappy. This actually might be one area that it may be useful to have Gigabit on the Oppo (loading high-res images and downscaling to 1080p) because it can do slideshows.

So, just because your setup can't take advantage of Gigabit doesn't mean there aren't plenty of valid reasons to use it, which are not a tiny fraction of users anymore (high-res camera slideshows being a perfect example), and its growing more and more everyday.
post #5328 of 17986 Old 02-07-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:

Has anyone tried the Netflix feature?
I signed in and first off- The UI is horrible!
Netflix UI looks great on a laptop, ipad and AppleTV...why so bad on the oppo?
Half the menu is cut off.

And even worse than that- I tried to play a movie and the whole machine froze up.
I tried to back out to menu, stop, top menu- nothing- just black screen.
I had to perform a hard re-boot of the oppo.

Anyone else have this issue?

I have the same problem. On my second Oppo 103. Do not know if it is oppo hardware, Netflix UI or what. Oppo CS tells me they have not heard of this problem and they will check into it. That's the reply I got from Oppo. The rest of it is OK just Netflix. On the fence about returning the second player and getting a refund. FYI I have the Roku stand alone device and no problems with that. This is a Oppo hardware problem.
post #5329 of 17986 Old 02-07-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrich50 View Post

I have the same problem. On my second Oppo 103. Do not know if it is oppo hardware, Netflix UI or what. Oppo CS tells me they have not heard of this problem and they will check into it. That's the reply I got from Oppo. The rest of it is OK just Netflix. On the fence about returning the second player and getting a refund. FYI I have the Roku stand alone device and no problems with that. This is a Oppo hardware problem.
Perhaps you should search for the word 'Netflix' within this topic and see what people have said about it?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #5330 of 17986 Old 02-07-2013, 06:03 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:

I'm a bit confused,

Thanks.

I'd agree with those who say follow your eyes. I'm one of those who does feel that +1 on HDMI 1 looks better on my particular set up,
that HDMI 1 on "0" looks a little soft/fuzzy, but clearly not everyone is having the same experience.

HDMI 2 on "0" may or may not be a better solution. Some people here feel, after careful looking and testing that there are other
weaknesses in HDMI 2 (some chroma and luma abnormalities, etc.) that make HDMI 1 preferable.

For me it's a little frustrating that there seems to be no way to turn off all processing with HDMI 1 (even on source direct), yet there
seem to be other observable improvements on HDMI 1 over HDMI 2. If you're really interested, you can read back a few pages and
you'll see reports from readers and even some comparison photos.

So the bad news; right now on a $500 player there's no consensus 'best' choice' or perfect solution. Even Oppo seems
a but unsure.

The good news is it's a pretty great picture whatever you choose, and Oppo is aware of the issue and is actively investigating it.
If any company will get to the bottom of a situation like this and make the appropriate firmware corrections it's OPPO.
lanping09 likes this.
post #5331 of 17986 Old 02-07-2013, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm not seeing this so called "problem", folks.

+1 looks fine. 0 looks fine, just not as sharp.

BDP103>SR7007>55"ES8000
post #5332 of 17986 Old 02-07-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The OPPO can play a disc OR it can process an HDMI Input. It can't do BOTH at the same time. Similarly your Onkyo can listen to the audio coming in from the OPPO or coming in from another HDMI Source (with video also from that Source). Again it can't do both at the same time.

Keeping those two limitations in mind then yes it will work. Set the Display to always get its video from the OPPO. When playing a disc, set the Onkyo to listen to the audio coming from OPPO HDMI 2. The video output of the ONKYO (derived from that HDMI 2 input) goes back to an HDMI Input on the OPPO where it gets ignored because the OPPO is busy playing a disc.

To play some other Source, set the Onkyo to listen on that input. The Onkyo will get audio from that Source and pass video to the HDMI Input on the OPPO. Set the OPPO to listen to that input. Video on that input will be processed and sent to the Display via HDMI 1 output. Audio on that input will be sent back to the Onkyo on the HDMI 2 output, but that's ignored because the Onkyo is listening to the other Source instead.

The problem comes if you set the OPPO to process the HDMI Input and also set the Onkyo to process the Source represented by HDMI 2 output from the OPPO. That's a loop and the handshake will fail. I haven't actually tried it to see HOW it will fail (muted audio/video or endless retries), but it WILL fail.
--Bob

I am setting my new HT with a 103. Will be using an anthem 300 as avr. Was wondering if the video processing is really noticeably superior and if it's worth running my cable hd box through oppo to the epson 6020 or just run it though the avr? Same goes for apple tv?
post #5333 of 17986 Old 02-07-2013, 08:12 PM

Liked: 11
New Oppo owner here - I just bought the 103 after my 2-year old Panasonic BD85 developed issues playing DVDs. What a superb machine the Oppo is! Disc playback is amazing, and DVDs have never looked so good. Blu-rays, too, but I've only watched a couple so far. And while AV quality is the main thing to love about it, I absolutely love the ability to do things like turn on captions, and change the audio track without having to wade 6 clicks deep into a menu! All the little things add up to a great package.

I only have one thing that's a bit of a surprise, and that's the Netflix app. Not the interface, but that the picture quality is decidedly less detailed than what I get from my Apple TV 3. Seems surprising that the $99 Apple box does a better job with the Netflix stream than the $500 Oppo. I haven't yet read this entire thread, but haven't noticed anyone making a similar comment. Does anyone else feel this way? I'm aware of the +1 sharpness discussion, and have tried that, but it doesn't solve the problem. But what I'm seeing does seem to be excessive noise reduction, but I don't notice it on discs, so I think this is something more. Perhaps it's some limitation in the Netflix app as provided by Netflix? Curious what you all think.

Anyway, it's a fantastic machine. I now understand all the praise I've heard the past few years.

Paul
lanping09 likes this.
post #5334 of 17986 Old 02-07-2013, 09:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul355 View Post

I only have one thing that's a bit of a surprise, and that's the Netflix app. Not the interface, but that the picture quality is decidedly less detailed than what I get from my Apple TV 3. Seems surprising that the $99 Apple box does a better job with the Netflix stream than the $500 Oppo.

.... Perhaps it's some limitation in the Netflix app as provided by Netflix? Curious what you all think.

Paul
You can search this thread for Netflix and you will get a vast discussion that boils done to two simple points.

1. The Netflix software basically takes control of the device that's using it.

2. All devices do NOT get the same quality software from Netflix.

Sony and other giant companies have gotten the best software, while the small companies like OPPO have so far been last in line.

I don't think the streaming material from Netflix is worth using as long as I can get shinny disks from them. If they ever match Blu-ray quality, and have interesting material,then I'll sign on. If, for some reason that happens, I'll go with the best dedicated streaming device available. Occasionally someone gives the impression that the Netflix feature in the OPPO is a critical application. I've never understood that.

It wouldn't surprise me if Netflix succeeds in their ongoing effort to kill their disk business, only to have someone else comes along with higher quality streaming. My nightmare is that streaming companies will target the mobile users, and never reach Blu-ray quality for home theater customers.
lanping09 likes this.
post #5335 of 17986 Old 02-07-2013, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

You can search this thread for Netflix and you will get a vast discussion that boils done to two simple points.

1. The Netflix software basically takes control of the device that's using it.

2. All devices do NOT get the same quality software from Netflix.

Sony and other giant companies have gotten the best software, while the small companies like OPPO have so far been last in line.

I don't think the streaming material from Netflix is worth using as long as I can get shinny disks from them. If they ever match Blu-ray quality, and have interesting material,then I'll sign on. If, for some reason that happens, I'll go with the best dedicated streaming device available. Occasionally someone gives the impression that the Netflix feature in the OPPO is a critical application. I've never understood that.

It wouldn't surprise me if Netflix succeeds in their ongoing effort to kill their disk business, only to have someone else comes along with higher quality streaming. My nightmare is that streaming companies will target the mobile users, and never reach Blu-ray quality for home theater customers.

I don't know if you ever used vudu? but I believe that vudu is more of a threat to blu ray then netflix.

Jacob
post #5336 of 17986 Old 02-07-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clidaw View Post

I also have a Motorola cablebox (3614, I think) with comcast, and I get that green screen occasionally. it usually goes away after a couple of flashes, but there have been times I've had to uplug the HDMI cable from the back input to get the picture to come up. Once it comes up though, it stays that way until I turn it off. I'm assuming this is a handshake issue between the DVR and the Oppo, and am hoping that a future firmware update fixes the issue. The picture is better running the DVR through the Oppo, so it has been worth the periodic aggravation so far.

This issue has been going on since at least 2006 (per googling my brains out). What on earth are these people waiting for in order to fix the problem?
post #5337 of 17986 Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 PM

One of the main reasons that I purchased an Oppo BDP-103 was the (apparent) option of routing a cable box through it to the TV which would (apparently) improve the picture via its' (apparent) superior video processing. Unfortunately, the only result I get is for the TV to display the picture for a couple of seconds before the screen turns solid green and stays that way. The audio, however, does work.

Here's my setup:

Comcast Motorola DCX3400 cable box (set to "native" and connected via HDMI to Input in back of Oppo BDP-103)

Oppo BDP-103 (connected to TV from HDMI 1 Output in back)

Yamaha RX-V1300 (HDMI not available - connected to Oppo BDP-103 via analog 5.1)

Samsung PN51E7000 (connected from Oppo BDP-103 to HDMI 2 - ARC in back)

I am almost positive that I have read at least one or two posts in this thread in which the poster was able to route the Oppo 103 through a Comcast box and stated that the picture was markedly improved.

Is there a setting on the Oppo that I'm unaware of? Does the latest firmware fix this problem? I have not updated the firmware since otherwise the Oppo is behaving nicely with DVDs, Blu Ray and 3D discs.

I would very much appreciate some help with this matter as it will weigh somewhat on my decision to keep the Oppo or not. . .

Hello? Does anyone else have this problem and/or is there a solution? I'm trying to love my Oppo. . .
lanping09 likes this.
post #5338 of 17986 Old 02-07-2013, 10:22 PM

Try hdmi2 output from the oppo. It has better handshake performance because it doesn't go through the QDEO chip. You will still get improvement from your cable box because the mediatek chip is the one doing the upscaling and up converting. Hdmi1 has a more complex signal path due to the QDEO chip which can lead to more handshake issues. Hdmi2 is preferred by a few as well as they find the QDEO processing to be too much.
post #5339 of 17986 Old 02-08-2013, 12:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

I don't know if you ever used vudu? but I believe that vudu is more of a threat to blu ray then netflix.

Jacob
I agree that the Vudu model is going in the right direction. Until there is streaming bandwidth and/or compression that matches Blu-ray, I would rather have the ability to down load a copy protected package containing a rental movie with enough flexibility to allow some variation in how I time the license to enjoy the movie. I don't mind planing ahead, but I don't want a time limit. It would also be nice to start and stop, or go back to check on something.

I've never had an urge to collect movies, but I have bought the ones that I expect to watch more than once. I would be quite happy to just rent again when I got the urge as lone as the business model made that reasonable.
post #5340 of 17986 Old 02-08-2013, 03:14 AM

PLEASE post, your display and size, other than that youre just making an arbitrary statement, that has no point of reference
Quote:
Originally Posted by tang7969 View Post

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page