Forum Jump: 

post #5521 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post

Is there any media front-end that can be used with the Oppo - e.g. Media Browser, MyMovies, XBMC, etc.?

I use Openelec (XBMC on Linux) with the MythTV PVR plugin. I use analog out from the Oppo straight into a poweramp. I get frequent hanging requiring a reboot of the HTPC and HDMI handshaking is an issue. Oppo is working on the handshaking, but it has been a long time with no fix. OE is beta version, which I needed to get the PVR functionality. When it works it is great, but handshaking and stability are annoying. If you are using an AVR or preamp then you probably won't have the handshake issues.

BTW, regarding the HDMI handshake issues (turn on thump/pop), I found that if the Oppo is muted the issue is circumvented. That's not a permanent solution though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5522 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Dstr,
Thanks...but I am coming off the BD93 which,while I had the same problem.the length of the wait was in the 10 second range.Therefore,my concern.
post #5523 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 View Post

I have had the 103 for a few days now......the only problem I have encountered so far deals with Netflix streaming.....for about 60-90 seconds.....the picture is fuzzy and looks worse than SD...after that...all is golden....I have changed my DNS1 and 2 settings per OPPO...but still having problems....using the 103 wireless(at a clocked speed of 11)..thru a Denon cs2311 receiver....input 1 on 103...directv...panny vt30 65"TV....all thru HDMI...
Any suggestion?
Thanks

While playing Netflix, press the Info button on the remote and look at the text displayed in the upper left corner. You'll see that Netflix ignores what it already knows about your network speed and downshifts to playing the new stuff as an SD stream, then gradually gets more confident and shifts back up to HD.

This is just how Netflix works.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5524 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Bob,
Thanks..I have done that several times while streaming....never has deviated from SD while the picture improves to HD quality.....perplexing to say the least.
post #5525 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 12:26 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Bob,
Thanks..I have done that several times while streaming....never has deviated from SD while the picture improves to HD quality.....perplexing to say the least.

You are saying it has not cycled through Low/SD, Medium/SD, High/SD? What is it showing, then?

The lowest bit rate Netflix uses when in SD mode (which can even happen when you are supposedly playing an HD stream) is pretty godawful.
--Bob

post #5526 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Bob,,,right now I am 6 minutes into THE sniper...video shows low/SD..looks like crap....8 minutes into the movie,the PQ has significantly ..but not HD quality..but the same info
Appears.
post #5527 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 01:01 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mominayal View Post

I couldn't get my oppo 103 to broadcast anything when passing the Comcast box through it, got the error message and a green low def image on any channel

Try what Recstar24 suggests. HDMI from cable box to HDMI input in back of Oppo and HDMI 2 out to TV. It worked for me. Still, it kind of sucks that HDMI1 does not play well with the cable boxes. However, Oppo is aware of the problem and is working on a solution. . .
post #5528 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Bob,,,right now I am 6 minutes into THE sniper...video shows low/SD..looks like crap....8 minutes into the movie,the PQ has significantly ..but not HD quality..but the same info
Appears.

are you wired to the net or wireless? I would suggest trying wired if you can?

Jacob
post #5529 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Appears.

It has probably shifted to the High/SD file, but for some reason Netflix hasn't sent the updated status info. Another possibility is that you really are stuck in Low/SD but for some reason the encoding for the earlier minutes of that title for Low/SD was even more godawful than usual.

I don't know what stream you are watching. "The Sniper" only shows as available on shiny disc at the Netflix web site.

Try going into the VUDU app > My Vudu > Info & Settings > Network Speed Test and see what VUDU reports as the network speed from their server into your 103.
--Bob

post #5530 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Jacob,
Wireless mo other option that would not incur a pretty big expense....I am going to upgrade to
Time Warner's turbo....see if that makes a difference....since this upgraded charge is per diem,I thought I would give it a shot ..of nothing changes I can always revert with a very slight charge.
post #5531 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jacob,
Wireless mo other option that would not incur a pretty big expense....I am going to upgrade to
Time Warner's turbo....see if that makes a difference....since this upgraded charge is per diem,I thought I would give it a shot ..of nothing changes I can always revert with a very slight charge.

what speed are you at up to 18 or so?

Jacob
post #5532 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Right now 11...the turbo can take a while to kick in...we will see.
post #5533 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right now 11...the turbo can take a while to kick in...we will see.

most companies will say up to 11 or so.. I am at up to 18. but I really only get 14. that might help a bit to upgrade.

Jacob
post #5534 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 01:48 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by clidaw View Post

I like the idea of having two connections, because using HDMI2 also solved my handshake issues. I liked the picture from HDMI1 a little better (more punch, at least on my 50" 2008 Panny Plasma), but I'll take the small trade-off in exchange for ending the handshake problems. I definitely have plenty of HDMI connections; all I need to do is find another HDMI cable. I do have one strange problem, which is present using both HDMI1 and HDMI2. Whenever I switch from a HD to a SD station (or the on-demand menu option), switching back to a HD picture gives me black bars on the side. Switching to the blu-ray player input and then back to the HDMI back input returns the HD picture to full screen. I don't switch from the HD channels often, so it isn't a big deal. I just find it odd.

Good to hear. I agree that hdmi1 has more punch which I like but sometimes when i am surfing channels it is simply faster and less buggy on hdmi2. For bluray I use hdmi1 exclusively and I've labeled that input on my tv as bluray, and the tv input as cable that is connected to hdmi2.
post #5535 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

It has probably shifted to the High/SD file, but for some reason Netflix hasn't sent the updated status info. Another possibility is that you really are stuck in Low/SD but for some reason the encoding for the earlier minutes of that title for Low/SD was even more godawful than usual.

I don't know what stream you are watching. "The Sniper" only shows as available on shiny disc at the Netflix web site.

Try going into the VUDU app > My Vudu > Info & Settings > Network Speed Test and see what VUDU reports as the network speed from their server into your 103.
--Bob

Bob,
Tried Vudu..got a network problem message...I did go to Time Warner's website and did a speed test on my Road runner account. ..12.9. Which should be plenty,right?looks like turbo has not kicked in..I will reboot the modem in about 2 hrs. Or so and retest.
Thanks to all for the help offered...
post #5536 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

I have had the 103 for a few days now......the only problem I have encountered so far deals with Netflix streaming.....for about 60-90 seconds.....the picture is fuzzy and looks worse than SD...after that...all is golden....I have changed my DNS1 and 2 settings per OPPO...but still having problems....using the 103 wireless(at a clocked speed of 11)..thru a Denon cs2311 receiver....input 1 on 103...directv...panny vt30 65"TV....all thru HDMI...
Any suggestion?
Thanks
I've read that Netflix is using adaptive bitrate streaming which starts at a low SD quality and quickly ramps up to the highest HD quality if the bandwidth is available. They say it works differently on different devices, speeds and other factors. Perhaps this is what you are seeing on the 103. My Roku 2XS works this way. Haven't tried watching Netflix on my 103 yet so can't compare. Read this about how Netflix is changing it encoding technology:
http://www.hometheater.com/content/yes-virginia-there-netflix-1080p-streaming-video

post #5537 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got it 3 weeks ago and it was working great. Today I tried to watch a movie and the player stop working. What I can see is only one screen with white OPPO on the top and a blue Bluray on the bottom and that is it. I can't go to setup screen or any thing alse even the home screen. If we know a combination of button on the remote might help or anything else.

Please help me out and thanks for your inputs.

Pana 60ST60, Onkyo TX-NR3009, OPPO BDP-103, Klipsch WF-35, Klipsch WS-24, Klipsch WC-24, Klipsch Reference RW-12d, BIC America DV62si.
post #5538 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 02:37 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by candoan View Post

I got it 3 weeks ago and it was working great. Today I tried to watch a movie and the player stop working. What I can see is only one screen with white OPPO on the top and a blue Bluray on the bottom and that is it. I can't go to setup screen or any thing alse even the home screen. If we know a combination of button on the remote might help or anything else.

Call OPPO Tech Support and they'll walk you through things to try.
--Bob

post #5539 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 02:37 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:

Try pulling the power cord for about 20 minutes.

If still no good, contact OPPO support.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #5540 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Read the FAQ!

Press the power button on the front panel once and be patient. After a delay (about 15 seconds) the player will power off.

Now press the tray open button on the front panel, which should turn the player on and also open the tray so that any disc in the tray won't start trying to play.
--Bob

post #5541 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Press the power button on the front panel once and be patient. After a delay (about 15 seconds) the player will power off.

Now press the tray open button on the front panel, which should turn the player on and also open the tray so that any disc in the tray won't start trying to play.
--Bob

Thanks to Bob and Bill.
I have sent an email to Oppo.
I pulled the power cord now and waiting for some 20 minutes. Let's see what's next.

Pana 60ST60, Onkyo TX-NR3009, OPPO BDP-103, Klipsch WF-35, Klipsch WS-24, Klipsch WC-24, Klipsch Reference RW-12d, BIC America DV62si.
post #5542 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:

Dstr,
Thanks...but I am coming off the BD93 which,while I had the same problem.the length of the wait was in the 10 second range.Therefore,my concern.

Ok, I have had maybe 10-20secs of SD quality and then back to HD then sometimes in the middle of the movie it will go back to SD for a minute then to HD again. A little annoying seeing that I am hardwired, so I feel you.
post #5543 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 04:35 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

What disc was that? Was it the player screensaver or the disc screensaver?

-Bill

I just tried it again. The disc is Jaws, blu ray. The Oppo screensaver is on. When I hit play to continue the oppo screensaver goes away and the Universal screensaver is there. The buttons are all unresponsive except for stop which brings up the disc main menu screen.

Dedicated theater

JVC RS46U

Lumagen XE3D

115"d 16:9 DIY AT Seymour XD screen with DIY masking

Marantz SR7008

Oppo BDP103

Darbee Darblet

Klipsch RF7II mains

Klipsch RC64II center

PSA XS15 Sub

Roku3

Harmony 900

post #5544 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 04:38 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmanscott View Post

I just tried it again. The disc is Jaws, blu ray. The Oppo screensaver is on. When I hit play to continue the oppo screensaver goes away and the Universal screensaver is there. The buttons are all unresponsive except for stop which brings up the disc main menu screen.

The Universal Studios screensaver is widely beloved by everyone who has encountered it. We had a topic on it in the original BDP-83 FAQ: How do I resume from the screensaver on Universal Studio discs?

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #5545 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 05:01 PM

I was hoping the BDP-103 could help replace my AppleTV 2 with Firecore in accessing my Seagate BlackArmor 220 NAS via SMB. It needs to be via SMB, because apparently the DLNA on Seagate's NAS is very limited. Anyway, all was going ok with the Firecore (AppleTV) way, but it could only do 720p, it couldn't do some types of FLAC, and there were memory buffering issues. The problem I am seeing that I cant find on this thread yet is after the Oppo logs in and I try to dig down through the folders to where my files are I get the "Loading" screen and it just keeps spinning the blue lights forever. It does this every time, without fail. If I use the wrong username or password it tells me so, so I know it gets past the logging in to the NAS. Also, when it shows "loading" it becomes almost completely unresponsive. I cannot back out of it, I cannot go 'Home', I can't power it off by hitting the power button as usual. I sometimes can power it off by holding power for I am guessing 20-30 seconds.

I suspect the issues is both the Oppo and the Seagate NAS because when accessing these folders through Firecore I almost always get an error message the first time. I just became used to seeing the error message, immediately trying again and it working. I have a feeling the Oppo is getting an error the first time as well, but instead of immediately backing out and saying so it gets hung up on this eternal "loading" screen.

I've tried numerous searches in this thread and elsewhere, so forgive me if this specific issue has already been posted. I've only seen SMB issues brought up in regards to some form of Windows which doesn't apply to my case. I don't have a PC, I have a Mac, and the whole point I'm trying to do is to directly access the NAS from the Oppo without any computers turned on or present.
post #5546 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 05:56 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:

Thanks to Bob and Bill.
I have sent an email to Oppo.
I pulled the power cord now and waiting for some 20 minutes. Let's see what's next.

I had a similar problem earlier in this thread. After several email exchanges with OPPO, I ultimately had to replace the player at my local distributor. I haven't had problems since.
post #5547 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalnomad View Post

I had a similar problem earlier in this thread. After several email exchanges with OPPO, I ultimately had to replace the player at my local distributor. I haven't had problems since.

Thanks. That means I need to contact Amazon for exchange then.

post #5548 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 06:05 PM

Liked: 11
I've had the Oppo 103 for a couple weeks. Replaced a Panasonic Bluray & Pioneer DV-45 DVD Player with SACD and DVD Audio capability. Pretty cool that the 103 could replace 2 components and half a dozen cables. Best manual I have ever seen. However, it is awfully buggy. Lock ups, freezes, sidebars appearing when switching stations, audio drop outs after rewinding.... Based on Oppos reputation I imagine these will be fixed eventually, but I am seriously considering returning it and reconnecting the old equipment.
post #5549 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ode to Bob and Bill
(free from Jack and Jill)

Bob and Bill went up the Oppo-103 hill
To fetch a pail of posts
Bob fell down after one page and broke his pen
And Bill came tumbling after one word.

Bob and Bill: thanks for all the good help and your strong continuous support.

post #5550 of 18473 Old 02-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Hey y'all,.,
Netflix problem solved.....so simple...but the most logical....I changred the Wi-Fi dongle from the back of the 103 to the front...Viola...Vudu test that Bob recommended.shows I can receive HDX....why is a simple fix the most obvious ?did I miss this n the manual or do I ve a bad USB port? BTW,Bob..I gave you bad info on the movie...should have been The Shooter.
Again,thanks to all for pitching in...netfix is golden.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Se50uy04 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page