AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 View Post

Hey y'all,.,
Netflix problem solved.....so simple...but the most logical....I changred the Wi-Fi dongle from the back of the 103 to the front...Viola...Vudu test that Bob recommended.shows I can receive HDX....why is a simple fix the most obvious ?did I miss this n the manual or do I ve a bad USB port? BTW,Bob..I gave you bad info on the movie...should have been The Shooter.
Again,thanks to all for pitching in...netfix is golden.
You must have a WiFi dead spot in the area behind your player. That's my only theory, and I'm sicking with it. biggrin.gif

Wired forever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5552 of 19148 Old 02-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

You must have a WiFi dead spot in the area behind your player. That's my only theory, and I'm sicking with it. biggrin.gif

Wired forever!

Well,that matches the dead spot on the left side of the brain.....only prob with your theory is that the dongle for the 93 was basically in the same place ith no problems....just saying..smile.gif
post #5553 of 19148 Old 02-12-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Wired forever!

Well,that matches the dead spot on the left side of the brain.....only prob with your theory is that the dongle for the 93 was basically in the same place ith no problems....just saying..smile.gif
Dead spots on the move! wink.gif

Can you move your OPPO to conduct tests?
post #5554 of 19148 Old 02-12-2013, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I hope any future firmware upgrades don't mess up my PQ.

BDP103>SR7007>55"ES8000
post #5555 of 19148 Old 02-12-2013, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Anyone using their 103/105 with a Synology NAS? What software are you using to 'push' audio/video to the Oppo via the NAS? I've tried Video Station but it seems inadequate to do so...

- David

I use a DS 1812+ to push music files to a 105 over my network via Ethernet. Works perfectly. I use DS Audiostation to push and manage playback with ap on my android phone. Have not had any issues at all with flac or wav up to 192kHz/24bit.
post #5556 of 19148 Old 02-12-2013, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys!

Just joined for Forum and I am a oppo 103 owner of about 6 weeks. I have been very impressed with the quality of bluray movies and its upconverting of cable via HDMI in. However, I started to notice something thats been eating at me the last two weeks, and its getting hard to ignore, so I wanted to put it out there and see if anyone else has experienced the same problem, and what they have done to correct!

The issue: variable length of audio delay relative to lip movement on screen when running my cable TV through the HDMI input and through to my TV. It doesn't happen all of the time, but I have noticed it more and more lately and I thought I was just being too picky, but when my wife started noticing it too, there must be something off! It can be anywhere from a quarter second, to a full second, and really no rhyme or reason for the cause. If I turn off the cable box and Oppo and turn them back on, it usually does away with it for a bit, but a few minutes later it could return.

What I am running: Standard cable box with HDMI out via older Monster cable to the Oppo input, and HDMI out 1 via HDMI that came with it, to my Samsung 55 in D8000. All plugged into a Monster stage 2 clean power.

According to the latest firmware update, other people must have been having a problem with it too, because it is addressed in the update, but whatever they did didnt do the trick unfortunately! I should also note that the problem goes away when I bypass the Oppo and go straight to the TV, but the picture isn't as good. Call me greedy, but I want both! smile.gif Also will note that the problem isnt there just playing a normal Bluray disc, further pointing the finger at the input/upscale function...

My initial thoughts: 1 Are my cables in need of upgrading to prevent any "jitter" or "skip" from the cable box or bluray that seem to create the initial lag? 2 Should I be using the analog audio output of the Oppo directly to the receiver rather than the audio out of the TV to the AVR? I wouldn't think so because the lag is there from TV volume as well with receiver off.... 3 Is there a setting in the unit that I could adjust so that audio/video runs through it more smoothly?

I haven't called Oppo yet to talk to someone live, but I have e-mailed their customer service so they are aware of further issues post firmware update. So please let me know if I am alone here with my issue with the HDMI IN feature, and if anyone can shine some light on the problem or point me down the right path!

Thanks in advance!
post #5557 of 19148 Old 02-12-2013, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogeeker View Post

i've had this happen at least once as well.

It has happened to me to several times.

(Referering to post 5561)

/Christian
post #5558 of 19148 Old 02-12-2013, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 78

Smurfmj:

If you connect the cable box to the TV, is there a lip sync problem? If not, then the problem is within the Oppo and/or AVR you are using.

Please disable any form of video processing (frame interpolation, imahe enhancers etc) in your Samsung display as this will delay the video further.

Same for the AVR, disable any fancy video processing modes within the AVR as well. You should simply have and use a video pass-through mode for your setup. Your bit and color space settings in the Oppo should match exactly with those in your AVR and display.

Your cables should be fine . They do not cause video lag (lol!). No need to change them. 

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #5559 of 19148 Old 02-13-2013, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDiAndrea View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Anyone using their 103/105 with a Synology NAS? What software are you using to 'push' audio/video to the Oppo via the NAS? I've tried Video Station but it seems inadequate to do so...

- David

I use a DS 1812+ to push music files to a 105 over my network via Ethernet. Works perfectly. I use DS Audiostation to push and manage playback with ap on my android phone. Have not had any issues at all with flac or wav up to 192kHz/24bit.

Thanks JRDiAndrea ...have you tried sending video to the Oppo via Video Station? I also have a DS1812+

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #5560 of 19148 Old 02-13-2013, 06:25 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Quote:

I have had the 103 for a few days now......the only problem I have encountered so far deals with Netflix streaming.....for about 60-90 seconds.....the picture is fuzzy and looks worse than SD...after that...all is golden....I have changed my DNS1 and 2 settings per OPPO...but still having problems....using the 103 wireless(at a clocked speed of 11)..thru a Denon cs2311 receiver....input 1 on 103...directv...panny vt30 65"TV....all thru HDMI...
Any suggestion?
Thanks

While playing Netflix, press the Info button on the remote and look at the text displayed in the upper left corner. You'll see that Netflix ignores what it already knows about your network speed and downshifts to playing the new stuff as an SD stream, then gradually gets more confident and shifts back up to HD.

This is just how Netflix works.
--Bob

This is why I cancelled Netflix and remain happy with my 103.

Terry
post #5561 of 19148 Old 02-13-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfmj View Post

Hi Guys!

Just joined for Forum
Welcome aboard!

Quote:
and I am a oppo 103 owner of about 6 weeks.

The issue: variable length of audio delay relative to lip movement on screen when running my cable TV through the HDMI input and through to my TV. It doesn't happen all of the time, but I have noticed it more and more lately and I thought I was just being too picky, but when my wife started noticing it too, there must be something off! It can be anywhere from a quarter second, to a full second, and really no rhyme or reason for the cause. If I turn off the cable box and Oppo and turn them back on, it usually does away with it for a bit, but a few minutes later it could return.
Known problem. I have it too, running my HTPC's WMC extender (Linksys DMA2100) through the external HDMI input of the 103.

Exactly as you've observed, the lip-sync will not be present initially. But over time it builds up. And doing something to interrupt or restart things (like STOP and RESUME, or STOP and change channels and PLAY for a moment and then STOP and change channels back to where you were and then PLAY again, etc.) usually seems to make it go away for a while.

But it will inevitably return again.

My own observations are that it only happens (for me) when both audio+video are delivered out over HDMI-1 of the Oppo to my AVR (my audio output is set to LPCM). Video is then delivered from AVR to HDTV, and audio is sent by the AVR to speakers. This is my situation when I do "casual watching+listening" to HDTV through external speakers connected to my AVR, which is why I'm sending audio as well as video out over HDMI-1.

However if I power on my external audio system (headphones-based, requiring LPCM via HDMI) connected via HDMI to HDMI-2 out of the Oppo, using "Split A/V" on the Oppo so that now audio-only is going out over HDMI-2 (and then on to my headphone system) and video-only is going out over HDMI-1 (to the AVR, and then on to the HDTV), I've seen that the Oppo lip-sync problem does not occur. I use this approach when doing "serious watching+listening" to BluRay or HDTV through headphones.

I have spoken to Oppo several times about this problem, and they are well aware if it. Presumably that means they will eventually discover the cause and fix it in a future firmware upgrade.

You are not alone here. But I agree, it is very very annoying.

I am going to experiment today with another "possible solution" of my own, to see if that works to prevent the symptom.

Since my external speakers are simply a 2.0 stereo set (not a multi-channel surround system, which is why I have my headphone system instead for "serious" situations), I see no reason I can't just feed the FL/FR analog speaker outputs to a pair of analog L/R stereo inputs on my AVR with the 103 setup set to "downmix to stereo" (which will handle multi-channel audio source HDTV programs).

The digital-to-analog conversion for supporting speakers has to occur somewhere, so I might as well use the DAC in the Oppo and produce the stereo downmix to analog there, then going through an all-analog audio path to the AVR and 2.0 speakers beyond. This also allows me to insert my DBX 14/10 EQ for "tone control", as my old 2.0 B&W speakers need a bit more treble-enhancement than the AVR is willing to add.

I'm hoping that the lip-sync issue with audio+video out over HDMI-1 of the Oppo will simply disappear using this all-analog audio approach. Actually, even if it doesn't work to overcome the lip-sync problem I suspect I will use it anyway because of the ability to have my EQ improve the audio quality from the the 2.0 speakers, which right now is a bit "boomy" for my tastes.

I will report back.
post #5562 of 19148 Old 02-13-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Currently part of my multichannel HT is this: I have a SA 8300HD cable box and Oppo 83SE connected via HDMi to a Denon 4308 AVR (the Denons side and rear amps only being used; the remainder go preamp-out to my fronts/center/sub systems elsewhere in the room) and then HDMi out to my pj (JVC RS46). I use PLIIx Cinema to fake any 2.0 or 5.1 tv and movie sources into 6.1 or 7.1; otherwise I use BD codecs for 7.1. I have a second multichannel source (stacked Mytek DACs, etc) that goes into a Sony TAP-9000ES analog multichannel preamp, as does the fronts/center.sub of the AVR outs (called 5.1 bypass mode).

Correct me if I'm wrong:
I could remove my Denon 4308 AVR (as long as i have amplification of course), buy an Oppo 103/105, hook my cable box into the HDMi in of the Oppo 103/105, enable DTS NEO:6 Movies, and use a MSB MVC (multichannel volume control) to do channel trims and master volume. All codec decoding, channel delays and HDMI switching would be done in the Oppo. Correct? And any lip-synch issues discussed above are moot in my case cuz I'd have all audio coming out analog, not HDMI. And then i could remove my Sony TAP-9000ES and just use the second input on the MSB MVC for my Mytek stack. Right? anything missing here? Thanks in advance,
Ted

"We're all bozos on this bus" - F.T.

post #5563 of 19148 Old 02-13-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:

Hey y'all,.,
Netflix problem solved.....so simple...but the most logical....I changred the Wi-Fi dongle from the back of the 103 to the front...Viola...Vudu test that Bob recommended.shows I can receive HDX....why is a simple fix the most obvious ?did I miss this n the manual or do I ve a bad USB port? BTW,Bob..I gave you bad info on the movie...should have been The Shooter.
Again,thanks to all for pitching in...netfix is golden.

The BDP-103 comes with a USB extension cable specifically to position the WIFI dongle for best signal.
post #5564 of 19148 Old 02-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted_b View Post

Currently part of my multichannel HT is this: I have a SA 8300HD cable box and Oppo 83SE connected via HDMi to a Denon 4308 AVR (the Denons side and rear amps only being used; the remainder go preamp-out to my fronts/center/sub systems elsewhere in the room) and then HDMi out to my pj (JVC RS46). I use PLIIx Cinema to fake any 2.0 or 5.1 tv and movie sources into 6.1 or 7.1; otherwise I use BD codecs for 7.1. I have a second multichannel source (stacked Mytek DACs, etc) that goes into a Sony TAP-9000ES analog multichannel preamp, as does the fronts/center.sub of the AVR outs (called 5.1 bypass mode).

Correct me if I'm wrong:
I could remove my Denon 4308 AVR (as long as i have amplification of course), buy an Oppo 103/105, hook my cable box into the HDMi in of the Oppo 103/105, enable DTS NEO:6 Movies, and use a MSB MVC (multichannel volume control) to do channel trims and master volume. All codec decoding, channel delays and HDMI switching would be done in the Oppo. Correct? And any lip-synch issues discussed above are moot in my case cuz I'd have all audio coming out analog, not HDMI. And then i could remove my Sony TAP-9000ES and just use the second input on the MSB MVC for my Mytek stack. Right? anything missing here? Thanks in advance,
Ted

You know of course that the 103 and 105 include their own Volume control and volume trims for Analog output right? So the reason for adding your external volume control is so that you can share that with a 2nd source?

What you describe ought to work presuming the SA cable box isn't screwing up its HDMI output. (SA boxes are kind of notorious for HDMI problems.)

The lip sync issues OPPO is working on can also happen on Analog audio output, although for the most part Analog is the least troublesome.

DTS Neo:6 on the OPPO will *ONLY* apply to stereo content input. I.e., it can not be used to raise 5.1 content to 7.1 speaker output.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5565 of 19148 Old 02-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstr212 View Post

Ok, I have had maybe 10-20secs of SD quality and then back to HD then sometimes in the middle of the movie it will go back to SD for a minute then to HD again. A little annoying seeing that I am hardwired, so I feel you.

Sometimes this has nothing at all to do with your service speed or in-house networking. For example, the Netflix server farm serving my area has had repeated capacity problems since the holidays, resulting in them restricting HD titles to High/SD streaming rate during peak viewing hours, particularly on weekends. At the same time Netflix is having problems, the VUDU Network Speed Test pegs at the top of the speed range.

This, of course, is one of the nifty things about shiny discs -- same quality every time.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5566 of 19148 Old 02-13-2013, 01:30 PM

Hi all,

I have had my 103 since the start of January and love it so far. Have watched a bunch of Blu Rays and many DVD rips through my WDTV that is connected to HDMI in on the back of the 103.

I have been reading lots of this contrast thing and tried playing around with this last night. I do not think I saw a difference at all as far up as I set it or low. I am using HDMI 1 out to my Denon 2311CI and then Denon out to my Panny VT25. I have have video upconversion and scaling off on the Denon. This means the video signal is just passing it through right?

Have also tried playing with the resolution between 1080p and Source Direct mode and do not notice any difference at all either. I noticed a difference when using 480i so I know it should be working. My Panny is either using the stock THX settings, stock THX with a slight boost in contrast or the custom settings I got I think from D Nice.

I guess what I am asking is this. Is there something wrong with my eyes or is having it hooked up to the Denon for video messing around with something? I am very happy with the picture but I don't think I'm seeing all of this +1 & 0 stuff. Not being smart, just wondering. I would like to squeeze every ounce out of this player if I can. Thanks.

JJ

JJ
post #5567 of 19148 Old 02-13-2013, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So im thinking about buying one of these. I have been looking at an Oppo player for a while mostly due to the upconverting abilities, ease of navigation for streaming(no freezing or 10 second delay when you press a button) and of course the after market region free mod. I looked at other region free players but there were all crappy players for under 100 that had all the issues I hate.

However now I have a few concerns.I want to completely get rid of my PS3 and just have one device for everything. This sharpness thing worries me though. Does it only affect DVDs? Does the processing do anything to blu-rays? Why would it need to? Because of this I was thinking about getting the 83 instead. However that can't do Netflix in 5.1 right? It's important to me not to have to use the PS3 or any other device for streaming.
post #5568 of 19148 Old 02-13-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstr212 View Post

Ok, I have had maybe 10-20secs of SD quality and then back to HD then sometimes in the middle of the movie it will go back to SD for a minute then to HD again. A little annoying seeing that I am hardwired, so I feel you.

I've been following this Netflix thread for some time now as I have not been satisfied with the PQ using the Oppo Netflix app. I have my Oppo 103 connected by Ethernet, but the PQ is terrible on Netflix, definitely NOT 1080p. (Vudu looks great BTW!) When I set it up I put my Roku box in the attic - one less box, 3 fewer cables, I thought. In frustration I finally got down the Roku. Problem solved, 1080p goodness! I'll keep it this way until I read on here that the Oppo app is fixed. Then I'll give it another try.

Otherwise the Oppo 103 has been performing wonderfully. It replaced an Oppo 83 about a month ago. Thanks to all for your continued work on this problem.
post #5569 of 19148 Old 02-13-2013, 01:48 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaKnowTech View Post

However now I have a few concerns.I want to completely get rid of my PS3 and just have one device for everything. This sharpness thing worries me though. Does it only affect DVDs? Does the processing do anything to blu-rays? Why would it need to? Because of this I was thinking about getting the 83 instead. However that can't do Netflix in 5.1 right? It's important to me not to have to use the PS3 or any other device for streaming.

Sharpness is (I suspect) a transient error to be addressed in future firmware. It hasn't bothered me at all but others may be more sensitive to it. Until then you can try Source Direct on HDMI1 or use HDMI2 which has no QDEO processing.

The BDP-93 does not have Netflix 5.1 audio; the -83 has no Netflix at all.

-Bill
post #5570 of 19148 Old 02-13-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Sharpness is (I suspect) a transient error to be addressed in future firmware. It hasn't bothered me at all but others may be more sensitive to it. Until then you can try Source Direct on HDMI1 or use HDMI2 which has no QDEO processing.

The BDP-93 does not have Netflix 5.1 audio; the -83 has no Netflix at all.

-Bill

Thank you so much but one more thing. If I use HDMI 2 will the DVDs still be upconverted?
post #5571 of 19148 Old 02-13-2013, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
For you guys out there using the Harmony 900 what did you choose when setting up your Oppo? I searched this thread and found somebody chose the bdp-103eu which looks like some kind of mini system. Basically I'm having trouble telling the Oppo to switch inputs between activities and Logitech support is clueless. Any suggestions?
post #5572 of 19148 Old 02-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Thank you so much but one more thing. If I use HDMI 2 will the DVDs still be upconverted?

Yep
--Bob

post #5573 of 19148 Old 02-13-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Yep
--Bob

Thanks!
post #5574 of 19148 Old 02-13-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Has the analog output hissing and popping been fixed. Do people out there use the 7.1 analog out have no popping and hissing hooked up to a amp. Is this a small minority.
post #5575 of 19148 Old 02-13-2013, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Nothing that can be fixed. You either have it, or you don't, and there is no possibility of OPPO doing a running change to the player as this would require that you completely redesign the audio analog board.
post #5576 of 19148 Old 02-13-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Does the 105 have this problem? If it doesn't I wonder if it is because of the upgraded power supply?
post #5577 of 19148 Old 02-13-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

The lip sync issues OPPO is working on can also happen on Analog audio output, although for the most part Analog is the least troublesome.
Just finished rewiring things, making use of the FL/FR output of the 103 (with audio downmixed to Stereo in setup) to feed an analog stereo input on my AVR (by way of first coming through my DBX 14/10 EQ for tone control) when I want to listen through 2.0 speakers.

My original reason for this was to hopefully eliminate the lip-sync produced by the 103 from external HDMI input (i.e. HDTV in my case) when sending both audio+video out over HDMI-1 to the AVR, which was my previous way to get sound to the 2.0 speakers. But my secondary reason was to get the analog EQ involved, to provide convenient preset-driven tone control for the two separate sets of 2.0 speakers I have. The use of the anaog EQ was not possible when HDMI audio from 103 to AVR was used.

And I'm really really pleased with the tonal results of using this analog audio approach with the EQ inserted, as the sound quality from both sets of speakers is really much more pleasing now when I watch HDTV and listen through speakers.

But I haven't watched HDTV long enough yet through the new cabling to determine whether or not the 103's lip-sync audio issue when using external HDMI input is still present, and if so is it any different in "degree" than when using the video+audio HDMI method for audio. As long as it's no worse I will still be very satisfied with this new arrangement, since the sound from either speaker set is markedly superior with tone control applied.

You've said the lip-sync problem is still present even using analog audio, so I'm prepared to face that reality if true.
post #5578 of 19148 Old 02-13-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You know of course that the 103 and 105 include their own Volume control and volume trims for Analog output right? So the reason for adding your external volume control is so that you can share that with a 2nd source?

What you describe ought to work presuming the SA cable box isn't screwing up its HDMI output. (SA boxes are kind of notorious for HDMI problems.)

DTS Neo:6 on the OPPO will *ONLY* apply to stereo content input. I.e., it can not be used to raise 5.1 content to 7.1 speaker output.
--Bob

Thanks Bob. Yes, the MVC volume is due to the multiple mch sources.

Thanks for the heads up on not being able to do 5.1 to 7.1. Oh well, if that's all i lose being able to dump my AVR and all its noise, RF, etc...so be it. I will definitely trial the setup first, so as to check things like the SA8300HDC HDMi.

"We're all bozos on this bus" - F.T.

post #5579 of 19148 Old 02-13-2013, 04:05 PM

Liked: 12
Dsperber,

I am using analog out to a pair of powered speakers and while it sounds very good (the oppo stereo downmix processing is fantastic) i still have similar lip sync issues. This is with cable going to the hdmi oppo input. Oppo is aware and I am sure will fix it.
post #5580 of 19148 Old 02-13-2013, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

So im thinking about buying one of these. I have been looking at an Oppo player for a while mostly due to the upconverting abilities, ease of navigation for streaming(no freezing or 10 second delay when you press a button) and of course the after market region free mod. I looked at other region free players but there were all crappy players for under 100 that had all the issues I hate.

Just make sure you can return if you run into issues.
I had a 103 for about a week and it was way too buggy for me to justify it at this time.
Folks here were nice and tried to help with my settings, etc.- but in the end-

I contacted support and here is their response to the Netflix issue:

If Netflix is freezing up every time that you try to use the service, or when loading specific titles, then this sounds DNS related.

Try power cycling your modem and router by removing their power cables for 5 minutes. Reconnect their power cables then try the player again another 5 minutes later.

Try upgrading the firmware on your router, as sometimes networking errors are due to out of date firmware.

Try using the USB extension cable that came with the player and move the WiFi dongle to a location where the reception is higher.

Try setting your IP Configuration (Network Setup) from AUTO (DHCP) to MANUAL. Change your DNS 1 to 008.008.008.008. Press Enter. Highlight OK at the bottom then exit Setup. Try the network streaming services again.

That's a whole lot of hoops for a $500 player. FWIW- my Ipad, laptops and Apple Tv all stream Netflix just fine and it looks pretty darn good- so it's not the DNS- it's the Oppo.

I also mentioned the sharpness issue.
They say;

If you do not like the output of HDMI 1 at the default Sharpness level then we would recommend using HDMI 2. HDMI 2 will give similar video quality results to HDMI 1 with a slightly sharper image, so it may give you a picture which is more to our liking.

Doesn't sound like they plan to address it in firmware- but they might. They should- enough folks seem to see it as an issue. IMO- Telling us to use the other output should not be a solution.

I also mentioned the DVD up-scale did not look any better than my cheaper Pioneer. I wondered if my setting were correct.
They responded;

The quality of the de-interlacing and scaling on the player will depend on the quality of the source and the display. If the source is already well mastered and the previous Pioneer was already a good player, then the difference in the performance may be minimal because there was no real processing needed to enhance the DVD-Video picture quality.

Fair enough.
So I returned it.

FWIW- I now have the BDP- 150.
It's build is not as solid as the Oppo.
CD's do not sound as good as the Oppo.
But Blu Ray discs in the 150 play, look and sound fantastic.
SD DVD looks no better or worse than what I was getting from Oppo.

All that said, If they fix these issues I would re-purchase the 103.
It's a promising machine and the 103 is built to last. (the 150 will most likely fail before 2 years)

Good Luck
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page