Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 193 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5761 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got the Oppo 103 and suddenly I'm getting an audible noise floor when using 7.1 analog outs to my Denon AVR-4306 (EXT. IN)! I re-attached the analog connects (Blue Jeans cables) from my Denon DVD-3910 and it's dead silent. I was going to get rid of my 3910 but now I'm not so sure. What gives? I was really looking forward to this unit but this noise is a royal pain! Any feedback greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5762 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheal_Dubreuil View Post

Has anybody tried the CinemaNow app on the Oppo 103? I tried to use it and it never finds any content. I get to the screen that shows the selection wheels but no matter what I select it never finds anything. I wanted to try it out because renting movies just is not that easy any more with all the places that rent them closing.
If you are in Canada you will not be able to use CinemaNow at the moment. OPPO is only authorized for CinemaNow in the United States. OPPO is still awaiting authorization for the service in Canada.
post #5763 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie B View Post

Just got the Oppo 103 and suddenly I'm getting an audible noise floor when using 7.1 analog outs to my Denon AVR-4306 (EXT. IN)! I re-attached the analog connects (Blue Jeans cables) from my Denon DVD-3910 and it's dead silent. I was going to get rid of my 3910 but now I'm not so sure. What gives? I was really looking forward to this unit but this noise is a royal pain! Any feedback greatly appreciated.

What volume is the player set to? Ensure that you have set the player to +100.

Ensure that you have DTS NEO6 set to OFF on the player. If this is set to ON, then you might have some decoding errors in the player.
post #5764 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

If you are in Canada you will not be able to use CinemaNow at the moment. OPPO is only authorized for CinemaNow in the United States. OPPO is still awaiting authorization for the service in Canada.

That would explain it. Thank you for letting me know.

Rheal Dubreuil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5765 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheal_Dubreuil View Post

Has anybody tried the CinemaNow app on the Oppo 103? I tried to use it and it never finds any content. I get to the screen that shows the selection wheels but no matter what I select it never finds anything. I wanted to try it out because renting movies just is not that easy any more with all the places that rent them closing. I did a search an all I can find are posts that show it as a feature.

I do believe I am running latest firmware version.

Other than this I have no issues yet with my Oppo.

Thanks,

Rheal.
Works for me -- i.e., viewing/navigating thumbnails and playing trailers/previews. I've not actually rented any titles from them.

How's your internet access otherwise in the player? In the VUDU app, try MyVudu > Info & Settings > Network Speed Test for example.

If using Wifi, check Setup > Network Setup > Connection Info to see what you are getting as Wifi signal strength.

ETA: Ah! I see Neuromancer correctly identified The Canadian Factor in this. biggrin.gif
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #5766 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Works for me -- i.e., viewing/navigating thumbnails and playing trailers/previews. I've not actually rented any titles from them.

How's your internet access otherwise in the player? In the VUDU app, try MyVudu > Info & Settings > Network Speed Test for example.

If using Wifi, check Setup > Network Setup > Connection Info to see what you are getting as Wifi signal strength.
--Bob

Bob,

I live in Canada and cannot use VUDU frown.gif. My Netflix works fine though and it looks better than it did on my PS3.

Neuromancer just above mentioned that it is not available in Canada yet. Thank you for the quick response.

Rheal Dubreuil

post #5767 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ The price you play for living in "The Cool Country" biggrin.gif

Honestly, it boggles my mind that the services are so slow to expand into Canada. I know it's all tied up in paying for the retransmission licensing deals for the streamed content (and certifying client platforms as being properly protective of that content), but still you'd think the studios and the services would be more eager to give you guys a chance to spend money with them.
--Bob

post #5768 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

I use my 103 to feed my Panny 65VT50 in 1080p resolution, upconverting my TWC/LA cable-provided HDTV which of course is 720p or 1080i. Output from the 103 is via HDMI-1 where the QDEO video processing is, and the picture on the 65VT50 from HDTV is superb.

I suspect that you, too, will notice a visible improvement in 720p/1080i source program picture quality coming through the 103 when processed and upconverted to 1080p by the 103 via HDMI-1.

Do you really see a significant improvement in PQ going thru the 103, rather than outputting native resolution directly to your display? I would expect the cable box to do poor processing/scaling, but I would think the VT50 should be able to do a pretty good job. Thanks.
post #5769 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:

What volume is the player set to? Ensure that you have set the player to +100.

Ensure that you have DTS NEO6 set to OFF on the player. If this is set to ON, then you might have some decoding errors in the player.

Volume at 100+ and NEO6 OFF. Noise still there.

Any other ideas? Has anyone else noticed this?
post #5770 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
** New question **

I recently had to send back my AVR for repair. In looking at the Oppo, I was wondering if it could temporarily double as my AVR. Specifically, can it process sound to a center channel speaker? I found the speaker setup and made sure center was on. However, when I play a blu ray, I only hear the main speakers. I imagine I am missing something fundamental - all this equipement is new to me and I am still learning.My temporary setup looks like this:

Oppo Pre-out Center --> amplifier --> center speaker
Oppo Pre-out FL/FR --> preamplifier --> amplifer --> main speakers
Oppo HDMI out --> TV HDMI

post #5771 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Disconnect all cables from the player and connect the Front Left analog cable to the Front Left output of the player. Go into Audio Processing, Speaker Configuration then set Test Tones at ON.

Now highlight the Front Left speaker. Ensure that you hear audio from the Front Left speaker.

Disconnect the Front Left analog cable and connect it to the Center output.

Highlight the Center channel. Do you hear audio from the Front Left speaker?

If yes, then your Center channel cable or speaker cable is not connected properly.
post #5772 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie B View Post

Volume at 100+ and NEO6 OFF. Noise still there.

Any other ideas? Has anyone else noticed this?

I have not had any issues with the player producing audio close to the Noise Floor. This is usually due to the volume on the player being set too low and you are turning up the amplifier too much, or a configuration error such as the speakers being set to positive values, and you are overdriving the signal.

Try doing a Reset Factory Defaults (Device Setup) and see if the same errors occur.
post #5773 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 01:53 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryep View Post

new remote screen for future oppo 103

That looks awesome. When will it be available?
Just installed a Pioneer SC-67 receiver this weekend. The included remote blows.
However, the iControlAV app is great.
post #5774 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 01:55 PM

Liked: 24
Just had an interesting email exchange with Oppo (this is why I love them, they responded in less than 24
hours, and on a holiday.) I tried to address some of the issues with sharpness, Source Direct, etc. and get
clear answers. This exchange doesn't clear up everything, but at least makes clear what's known, what's
intentional, what's a question, and just what Source Direct in HDMI 1 means.

Me: As I'm sure you're aware, debate about sharpness and other issues on the 103 continue to bounce around on
the AVS Forum. Even the on line experts seem to sometimes contradict each other. Perhaps you can clear up
some confusion.

1) If one uses HDMI 1, 1080P out, with all controls on the Oppo set to zero, is the QEDO still doing some noise
reduction and/or other processing? In other words, does it make sense that HDMI1 with all controls at 0 still
produces a slightly different (to my eye softer) image than HDMI 2?

Oppo: There is some amount of Noise Reduction applied to HDMI 1 to correct visual errors when streaming from Netflix.
From our engineering the amount of NR added to the signal is negligible for disc media playback, which is why it remains
in our firmware. We are looking into the observations that our customers have reported, but at this time we believe that the
HDMI 1 sharpness output is correct, and any alteration of the sharpness is personal preference.

2) Does that change on Source Direct? Is Source Direct from HDMI 1 unprocessed by the QEDO? Should that look identical
with HDMI 2?

Oppo: Source Direct does not bypass the NR being applied since this is a default value that we have enabled in the player.

3) Is there a reason that, at least to some of us, the processing on HDMI 1, outputting 1080P, set at 0 seems more aggressive
than that on the 93 and 83 (which, I know, had a different chip)? In other words, has Oppo intentionally chosen a more aggressive
processing level at all 0, or is that still something you are investigating as a possible bug?

Oppo: This is still being investigated, so we do not have an answer for your question at this time.

4) Would it be possible to implement the processing less aggressively or even not at all with controls at zero if it seemed like that
would improve customer experience?

Oppo: This is something that we can change in the firmware, but only if we find that the HDMI 1 output is not working to our original
engineering specifications.
et88b likes this.
post #5775 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Disconnect all cables from the player and connect the Front Left analog cable to the Front Left output of the player. Go into Audio Processing, Speaker Configuration then set Test Tones at ON.

Now highlight the Front Left speaker. Ensure that you hear audio from the Front Left speaker.

If yes, then your Center channel cable or speaker cable is not connected properly.

I was fine up to the Test Tone point. It is grayed out for me. The manual did not seem to indicate how to allow me to change it from Off to On (or more accurately not make it grayed out).

post #5776 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ The Test Tones will not be available if a disc is loaded or you are playing other content. Take any disc out of the Tray and try again.
--Bob

post #5777 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:

Bob - thanks. That did the trick.

Neuromancer - ok, strike all what I just had here. All three speakers play test tones. So now I need to put a DVD back in and see if any of the reconnecting has now enabled center sound on a blu-ray.

post #5778 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

Do you really see a significant improvement in PQ going thru the 103, rather than outputting native resolution directly to your display? I would expect the cable box to do poor processing/scaling, but I would think the VT50 should be able to do a pretty good job. Thanks.
Yes, this was specifically one of the tests I experimented with, because I was curious about the same question.

I've come to the conclusion that the picture looks better when the 103 HDMI-1 upconverts/cleans the 720p/1080i HDTV input to 1080p output and delivers that to the VT50, than simply feeding the original 720p/1080i output from the DVR directly to the VT50.

It's not entirely instantly A/B-objective because the DVR only has one HDMI output so I can't feed it to two separate inputs on the VT50 simultaneously (although I suppose I really could, as I do have a 2-in/4-out HDMI matrix-switch from Monoprice that I could break out for such an experiment), so it does depend on my "impression" when reconfiguring to the other method. But all things considered I do feel the 103 does the better job, and that images on the VT50 are definitely "cleaner" and "better" when received 1080p from the Oppo no matter what it started out as.

Is it huge? No. Is it noticeable to my eye? I think so.
post #5779 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 02:59 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by olfac87 View Post

Bob - thanks. That did the trick.

Neuromancer - ok, strike all what I just had here. All three speakers play test tones. So now I need to put a DVD back in and see if any of the reconnecting has now enabled center sound on a blu-ray.

How are you enabling volume control for the centre speaker. I assume you are using volume control on preamp for L/R .

Are you also using the Oppo volume control to control the center speaker volume?

Would be a hassle as would need to turn down pre-amp volume so that the Oppo volume control does not make the L/R speakers overly loud unless you have the pre-amp ( I assume it is a 2 channel pre-amp) in HT bypass mode.
post #5780 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Yes, this was specifically one of the tests I experimented with, because I was curious about the same question.

Thanks! Just wondering how to set up my Oppo when I finally get it.
post #5781 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just found some rather big glitch:

When playing mounted BD 3D ISO file and via SMB, picture and sound stutters after 15-20min of playing, sometimes sooner. It coincides with HDD noise(same as windows searching or indexing). After pausing and waiting a minute everything is back to normal... for another 20 min.

Is this my hardware(bandwidth) limitation? The particular HDD where media files are located is rather fast (WD Black) confused.gif
post #5782 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Isn't every 20 minutes a Cinavia symptom? Is your .iso for a Sony/Columbia movie, by any chance?

post #5783 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Isn't every 20 minutes a Cinavia symptom? Is your .iso for a Sony/Columbia movie, by any chance?

Thanks for reply, but that's not it.
post #5784 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 04:02 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by giedrys View Post

Just found some rather big glitch:

When playing mounted BD 3D ISO file and via SMB, picture and sound stutters after 15-20min of playing, sometimes sooner. It coincides with HDD noise(same as windows searching or indexing). After pausing and waiting a minute everything is back to normal... for another 20 min.

Is this my hardware(bandwidth) limitation? The particular HDD where media files are located is rather fast (WD Black) confused.gif

That sounds like a hard drive issue. Maybe fragmentation?

Some buffer could be exhausted and need to be refilled, but 15-20m of BR is a large amount of data.

As an experiment, you might try unpacking the ISO into a BDMV folder contained in an AVCHD folder and see if that makes a difference. It might reveal or eliminate the loopback mechanism as part of the problem.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #5785 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 04:18 PM

Does anybody know how to back out of Netflix to get back to the main OPPO screen? I've yet to find a way to get out of Netflix once logged in, and always have to resort to powering off OPPO and turning it back on. There has to be a better way.

Thanks.
post #5786 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 04:19 PM

Liked: 11
Click Home on the remote
post #5787 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ The price you play for living in "The Cool Country" biggrin.gif

Honestly, it boggles my mind that the services are so slow to expand into Canada. I know it's all tied up in paying for the retransmission licensing deals for the streamed content (and certifying client platforms as being properly protective of that content), but still you'd think the studios and the services would be more eager to give you guys a chance to spend money with them.
--Bob

I know it annoys me also but really not to much I can do about it right now frown.gif. At least netflix is getting better at releasing things in Canada but we are still behind. Hopefully CinemaNow will not take to long.

Rheal Dubreuil

post #5788 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

To summarize:
  • All audio is AC3.
  • No 6-channel track plays.
  • Some 2-channel tracks do not play, but others with the same specs do.

You should write this up for OPPO support and offer them some sample files.

I'd also like to hear if an MKV version works better.

-Bill

Ripping to MKV made the audio "appear" when playing back via OPPO. Doesn't solve the audio issue with VOBs though.

For those who care, I'm probably going to re-rip everything to MKV, for one specific reason: When playing a vob via OPPO 103, if I try to fast-forward past 2x speed, the movie skips to the end and starts the next movie on the list. Using MKV, I can fast-forward at whichever speed I want without any issue. Naturally, a simple solution would be to split the large movie VOB into smaller pieces so I can more or less skip-advance to a different point in the movie. But, I'd rather keep one file and avoid a ton of folders that contain multiple pieces of a movie.
post #5789 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogal View Post

Click Home on the remote

Doesn't work... That's why I'm here asking... Does that work for you? Maybe my OPPO defective. However, the Home button works fine everywhere else.
post #5790 of 18330 Old 02-18-2013, 04:36 PM

Tried it. Nothing changed.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page