255Likes
post #5851 of 19243 Old 02-19-2013, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by giedrys View Post

One feature I was sure that I won't be using on my 103 is 2D to 3D conversion. But just out of curiosity I tried 300 BD and results were...surprisingly good. So I ended up watching entire film in fake 3D biggrin.gif

Seriously, try it. The added depth effect is definitely there and for whatever reason it looks quite natural on this particular BD.

Does 2D to 3D conversion work on all video media, e.g. Bluray and MKV? I would love to watch Blade Runner in pseudo 3D!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 19243 Old 02-19-2013, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorX View Post

In the right scenario, an HDD can handle in the order of 7 HD streams at once in a set-top box application. So I wouldn't fault the HDD if it can't handle what you are throwing at it in a Windows environment.

In fact, one hard drive can typically handle more than a gigabit Ethernet connection can push to it. A hard drive can handle 120-200 MB/sec or over 1 Gigabit per second on a sequential read or write. But if it's doing Windows housekeeping, all bets are off.

Interesting post. Those were my thoughts as well about HDD capabilities(in theory at least). But it brings more questions:

1. So is it general not recommended to use HDD for SMB streaming that also does windows housekeeping( couldn't find anything on FAQ about that) ?
2. Or is it my PC? If yes which one is it to blame:
a.Hardware(HDD)
b.Softvare(Win 7)
c.Both

confused.gif
post #5853 of 19243 Old 02-19-2013, 06:38 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:

Interesting post. Those were my thoughts as well about HDD capabilities(in theory at least). But it brings more questions:

1. So is it general not recommended to use HDD for SMB streaming that also does windows housekeeping( couldn't find anything on FAQ about that) ?
a.Hardware(HDD)
b.Softvare(Win 7)
c.Both

confused.gif
SMB streaming in particular has nothing to do with it. In general, it's a really bad idea to partition your OS drive and expect to get good performance from the 2nd partition. There are other considerations as well, such as data integrity. If your OS drive fails, the odds of losing data on that 2nd partition are higher than if you had that data on a 2nd physical drive. But none of this is Oppo specific and is better pursued in the HTPC forum - we really don't want to get down into the nuts and bolts of how your specific PC is put together here in this thread.
post #5854 of 19243 Old 02-19-2013, 06:39 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:

a.Hardware(HDD)
b.Softvare(Win 7)
c.Both

confused.gif

We have no data. I don't recall reports of your problem before. I use Samba on Linux and have tested ISO loopback without issue.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #5855 of 19243 Old 02-19-2013, 06:40 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

a.Hardware(HDD)
b.Softvare(Win 7)
c.Both

confused.gif
There are a lot of factors involved here and although I know HDDs well, I don't consider myself an expert in the other areas.

Because I think from an HDD standpoint, the first thing I would make sure is that your HDD is not badly fragmented. If the HDD has to search all over the place for the contents of a file, it will slow it way down (random access is much slower than sequential access). Secondly, if your app will run in safe mode (with network support), I'd try that. You will have much less junk running in the background.

What kind of throughput are your trying to get? Again, an HDD can handle a LOT. I thought a compressed 1080P stream was on the order of 25 Mbps...piece of cake for a hard drive.

The more I know, the more I realize I don't know.
post #5856 of 19243 Old 02-19-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

What happens if you select Dual Display instead of Split A/V?

-Bill

Thanks Bill - I figured this out. No issues with my 103.. Just "me". biggrin.gif

I deleted my other posts.
Cheers

Love DIY
post #5857 of 19243 Old 02-19-2013, 06:42 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

Quote:

What happens if you select Dual Display instead of Split A/V?

-Bill

Thanks Bill - I figured this out. No issues with my 103.. Just "me". biggrin.gif

I deleted my other posts.
Cheers

Thanks for updating us, but share, please!

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #5858 of 19243 Old 02-19-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

SMB streaming in particular has nothing to do with it. In general, it's a really bad idea to partition your OS drive and expect to get good performance from the 2nd partition. There are other considerations as well, such as data integrity. If your OS drive fails, the odds of losing data on that 2nd partition are higher than if you had that data on a 2nd physical drive. But none of this is Oppo specific and is better pursued in the HTPC forum - we really don't want to get down into the nuts and bolts of how your specific PC is put together here in this thread.

Then don't. I wasn't really interested in nuts and bolts either. My question(comment) was slightly different: is it fair to say that HDD with windows partitions should be avoided for playback via SMB in general. Bill said no (if i read his post correctly.) Which means it's my PC. Fine. Plus I solved the choppy playback situation by moving ISO to media HDD. So case is closed.

Let's go back to sharpness or other inexhaustible topics smile.gif
post #5859 of 19243 Old 02-19-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avswilier View Post

Does 2D to 3D conversion work on all video media, e.g. Bluray and MKV? I would love to watch Blade Runner in pseudo 3D!

Yes, but it really depends on the quality and type of material. One thing is for sure- Oppo's 2D to 3D conversion looks much better than TV's.

On the other hand- 3D "over under" MKV's look better if processed by TV then Oppo. Go figure...

As ever, YMMV.
post #5860 of 19243 Old 02-19-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

Thanks for updating us, but share, please!

-Bill

Do I have to......

I consider myself quite adept with my gear yet this was quite stupid. I'd love to say I had been drinking but no such luck.... Only my old brain to blame.
A month ago (the last time I knew HDMI 2 was working previously) I had removed a 4 input / 2 output HDMI matrix switch. For whatever reason at that time when I connected the 103 to my newly run second HDMI cable to the bedroom display, I decided the 103s rear "HDMI IN" was now HDMI 2.....
Jump forward a month or so when we actually attempted to watch a BD in the bedroom and,, you guessed it, nothing.. Its hard for an HDMI "out" port to work when nothings plugged into it...! All of my cable swapping etc was all being attempted on the "HDMI IN".
- I was however plugging cables in via touch, reaching around to the back of the 103 etc. So at least I can say both my eyes and brain didn't fail me.. The previous BD player I had in this cabinet had the "HDMI out" on the far right if facing the player - I think I was working from memory/instinct.
- "Check your connections" the first step in near all diagnosis of issues like this.... That would be the moral of this story.

Swapped ports and all is well.. Amazing I know.. biggrin.gif

Feel free to laugh with or at me.

As they say, "Operator Error".

Love DIY
post #5861 of 19243 Old 02-19-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

Does the DTS HD audio dropout occur when playing back MKV files directly through USB? Was it in bitstream of LPCM mode?

USB or samba/NFS. Doesn't matter. Bitstream.

Issue with the media processor the device uses.
post #5862 of 19243 Old 02-19-2013, 09:14 PM

Questions on video settings for Plex/Roku for streaming to Oppo 103

This forum has been great in helping me decide to get an Oppo 103 and all the input is greatly appreciated. However, I haven't seen many people comment on their use of Plex with the Oppo 103. I am currently running Plex to stream all of my home movies, movies, music etc. I bought a Roku 2XS since it has a Plex app and the user interface is great. The Roku has native 1080P functionality, but the vast majority of my movie collection is DVD. I have been turning my DVDs into MKV files using MakeMKV, which has been great. It makes a nice lossless file in about 10 minutes. It's twice the size as what you would get from Handbrake, but 10x's faster. So I have my Roku going to my Oppo HDMI input port in the back and have the Oppo HDMI-1 out going to my Panasonic P55ST50 tv. Since my most of my movies that I am streaming are 480P DVD, how do I most effectively utilize the video processing power of my Oppo 103 when upconverting these movies to 1080P? The Plex server can also transcode the files on my PC. Plex has options for direct play and direct stream (I don't know the difference) and I can also set the video quality in Plex from 480P to 1080P at varying mbps. I believe the Roku can upconvert as well. The Roku seems to transcode all video to the format I selected for my tv in the Roku settings. Would I be better off telling the Roku that my tv is 480P widescreen, stream the files at 480P and let the Oppo upconvert? Or perhaps let the Plex server transcode to 720P and have the Oppo take it from there? Or should I just let the Plex server take care of it all. I intend to mostly use my Blu-ray discs directly in my Oppo and stream all my old DVDs with Plex. I would be very interested to hear feedback from anyone using the Roku 2XS/Plex combo with the Oppo 103. Thanks in advance!

Oppo 103
Roku 2XS to HDMI-back
HDMI-1 to Panasonic P55ST50
Multi Channel Audio out to my old AVR for amplification only
post #5863 of 19243 Old 02-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Hooked up my 103 today, along with a new Denon 1613. All is good. Running my Dish STB through it, HDMI 1 sharpness +1. No lip sync issues and the PQ is great. (Panny 65VT50) Set up the Denon and it sound much better than my old Sony using an optical. Gonna watch Skyfall 1080p on Vudu now. smile.gif

Panny 65VT50 / DTV Genie / OPPO 103 / Roku 3 / Denon 1613 / Klipsch Quintet 5.0
post #5864 of 19243 Old 02-19-2013, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Deaf View Post

Hooked up my 103 today, along with a new Denon 1613. All is good. Running my Dish STB through it, HDMI 1 sharpness +1. No lip sync issues and the PQ is great. (Panny 65VT50) Set up the Denon and it sound much better than my old Sony using an optical. Gonna watch Skyfall 1080p on Vudu now. smile.gif

Then watch it on Blu-Ray and your jaw will drop.

BDP103>SR7007>55"ES8000
post #5865 of 19243 Old 02-20-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT777 View Post

This forum has been great in helping me decide to get an Oppo 103 and all the input is greatly appreciated. However, I haven't seen many people comment on their use of Plex with the Oppo 103. I am currently running Plex to stream all of my home movies, movies, music etc. I bought a Roku 2XS since it has a Plex app and the user interface is great. The Roku has native 1080P functionality, but the vast majority of my movie collection is DVD. I have been turning my DVDs into MKV files using MakeMKV, which has been great. It makes a nice lossless file in about 10 minutes. It's twice the size as what you would get from Handbrake, but 10x's faster. So I have my Roku going to my Oppo HDMI input port in the back and have the Oppo HDMI-1 out going to my Panasonic P55ST50 tv. Since my most of my movies that I am streaming are 480P DVD, how do I most effectively utilize the video processing power of my Oppo 103 when upconverting these movies to 1080P? The Plex server can also transcode the files on my PC. Plex has options for direct play and direct stream (I don't know the difference) and I can also set the video quality in Plex from 480P to 1080P at varying mbps. I believe the Roku can upconvert as well. The Roku seems to transcode all video to the format I selected for my tv in the Roku settings. Would I be better off telling the Roku that my tv is 480P widescreen, stream the files at 480P and let the Oppo upconvert? Or perhaps let the Plex server transcode to 720P and have the Oppo take it from there? Or should I just let the Plex server take care of it all. I intend to mostly use my Blu-ray discs directly in my Oppo and stream all my old DVDs with Plex. I would be very interested to hear feedback from anyone using the Roku 2XS/Plex combo with the Oppo 103. Thanks in advance!

Oppo 103
Roku 2XS to HDMI-back

I really like the workflow you describe here and your questions are excellent! I'm anxious to see the responses, I may change my whole approach to things.....
post #5866 of 19243 Old 02-20-2013, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie1210 View Post

Then watch it on Blu-Ray and your jaw will drop.

Why will his jaw drop? Is the blu ray way better than vudu HDX?

post #5867 of 19243 Old 02-20-2013, 05:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

There appears to be a lip-sync issue with external HDMI input, which Oppo is aware of but so far has not resolved. The exact conditions producing the symptom are also not entirely clear or precise (adding to the difficulty of solving the problem).

For me, the lip-sync problem only occurs when I feed both downmixed-to-stereo audio out on HDMI-1 along with video, feeding my AVR which supports my 2.0 speakers as well as delivering video to my HDTV. But if I send "LPCM multi-channel" audio-only out via HDMI-2 (to my external multi-channel headphone system) and video-only out via HDMI-1 to my AVR and then out to my HDTV, there is no lip-sync problem.

Recently I accidentally discovered that if I changed the video output on the 103 to specify YCbCr 4:2:2 (from AUTO or 4:4:4) that the lip-sync problem seems to disappear. It's been two days now running this way, and no lip-sync has returned. I know this appears completely irrelevant to the audio lip-sync issue, but for me it seems to work... so that's how I've continued to operate. Fingers crossed.

Nevertheless, Oppo is aware of the lip-sync problem tied to using external HDMI input.
Well... flush this whole theory about going to 4:2:2 curing the lip-sync problem. It obviously is irrelevant, and does NOT cure the problem.

Tonight the problem returned after an hour or two of watching TV with no problem. It just kind of appeared suddenly.

Furthermore, although my usual "Rube Goldberg" technique of getting rid of it (i.e. STOP playback from DVR, change channels and PLAY, STOP playback and go back to original program, PLAY, and lip-sync is gone) worked for a very short time, it took hardly any more time for the lip-sync problem to once again return and get worse and worse.

Almost like the 103 just heating up from long use brings out the problem. And the video is way ahead of the audio, which lags behind.

Anyway, forget I ever thought this was somehow the explanation or solution. Obviously using 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 is totally unrelated to the lip-sync symptom and my "success" for a few days was just a fluke.
post #5868 of 19243 Old 02-20-2013, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

USB or samba/NFS. Doesn't matter. Bitstream.

Issue with the media processor the device uses.
Did you also test them on previous generation of Dune players such as the Dune Smart H1/D1?
post #5869 of 19243 Old 02-20-2013, 05:41 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:

Oppo 103
Roku 2XS to HDMI-back
I'm sure Bob will chime in with a much more detailed reply, but it's a bad idea to go from 480P -> 720P -> 1080P rather than going from 480P directly to 1080P. If you have the option, it's probably best to let the Oppo do the processing.
post #5870 of 19243 Old 02-20-2013, 05:44 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

- "Check your connections" the first step in near all diagnosis of issues like this.... That would be the moral of this story.

Thanks for confessing!

I would take the moral as: we have all done this. Made basic mistakes, many times. Hence the persistent (and irritating, I'm sure) diagnostic advice that starts "are you sure the wings are bolted on to the airplane?"

If it seems like we always suspect the user first, well...

I did a big write up for OPPO a while ago on how the player was retaining ancient network values. Months later I discovered a forgotten DHCP server was running on an old computer on my network. From time to time clients would reach it and get some of those old values.

I confessed to OPPO and they said "Thanks for letting us know. We'll close the ticket." They knew it was me all along of course, but were nice enough not to say so.

-Bill

post #5871 of 19243 Old 02-20-2013, 05:46 AM

Greetings from a brand new BDP-103 owner. So far I'm really impressed by the quality and functionality.

So on to my first problem/question. I need to be able to start playback on a Blu-ray disc, queue it up to a certain point and pause it, then switch over to one of the HDMI inputs to show a slide show from a PC, then toggle back to the disc and hit play to continue where we left off.

When I switch back to the disc input, the player goes back to the Home screen menu. I need it to stay where it was, on pause, so the show can continue quickly with a minimum of operator input and show disruption. Does anyone know a way to change this behavior? I can work around it by adding another HDMI switch so the PC doesn't go through the BDP-103, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks for any help and advice.
post #5872 of 19243 Old 02-20-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogeeker View Post

Haven't gotten it myself yet, but it is creating a stir in the Bluray PQ thread as a great transfer, so I would think this is a bluray well worth getting.

back to our regular programming.
post #5873 of 19243 Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:

Oppo 103
Roku 2XS to HDMI-back

I use Plex as a DLNA server to my 103 and find that works pretty well. So I don't have any experience with your set up. You may just try experimenting to see which combination gives you the best results for your setup. That being said, I'll go out on a limb and say that most likely you will find that you will want to have only one device (or app) do the up-conversion from DVD resolution to 1080p and have every other transport between your data to your TV keep the resolution that was passed to intact.

Whenever a picture is upscaled, the device (or app) doing the conversion is making an interpretation of what it thinks the new data should look like. Each time this happens along the transport chain the next conversion is doing yet another interpretation agains the prior interpretations. So even if you have some awesome devices, say maybe the 103, that do a great job of up-converting low res data you are depriving them of their full potential by not giving them the pure data to work with.

So I would suggest experiment with just one device (or app) do the up-converion to 1080p from the 480p data and have the other devices (or app) leave the resolution alone. You might find that your TV has the best performance, or maybe Roku, or maybe the 103.
post #5874 of 19243 Old 02-20-2013, 09:44 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogeeker View Post

Haven't seen the Vudu version.
And never will.
The Blu Ray is gorgeous.
Not sure i understand all this chatter regarding streaming and all the struggle.
IMO- why bother? Are you guys really using this more as a streaming device?
Correct me if I'm wrong- but when i A/B compare Blu Ray to anything else- Blu Ray always wins.

Why pay for a 103 and then claim you're going to go stream (?) vs viewing the latest and greatest Blu Ray?
Sure I stream once in awhile- but i have a cheap Apple TV for that and it does a flawless job.
ckronengold likes this.
post #5875 of 19243 Old 02-20-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojogypson View Post

And never will.
The Blu Ray is gorgeous.
Not sure i understand all this chatter regarding streaming and all the struggle.
Correct me if I'm wrong- but when i A/B compare Blu Ray to anything else- Blu Ray always wins.

Why pay for a 103 and then claim you're going to go stream (?) vs viewing the latest and greatest Blu Ray?
Sure I stream once in awhile- but i have a cheap Apple TV for that and it does a flawless job.

This.
ckronengold likes this.

BDP103>SR7007>55"ES8000
post #5876 of 19243 Old 02-20-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:

Incorrect.

Quote:

Flawless? Depends on your definition of "flaw".
Apple TV is fine for streaming iTunes content. And that's about it. It's file support is abysmal.

People rip their disc collections for a wide variety of reasons.

My own rip collection includes a large Christmas section for movies that will be watched every year. I have a fairly wide selection of Movies and TV series for house guests, as I, more often than not, have at least some guests in residence. I also have a kids section for those guests and visitors that have kids. It cuts down on disc handling quite a bit, and makes selection very easy.

All media is playable in any room in the house.

All displayed with the SAME quality as the original discs.

Everyones needs and desires are different.

Edit: I still watch a lot of shiny discs.
post #5877 of 19243 Old 02-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And never will.
The Blu Ray is gorgeous.

I actually streamed it through my Panny BDT-220, for some reason it's getting a better signal than my 103. I'm sure the Blue Ray version will be better, especially the sound, but I wanted to see it. I will rent the BR when I can. The Vudu stream was stunning so I can't wait.

post #5878 of 19243 Old 02-20-2013, 11:09 AM

The Vudu streams are not compressed?

BDP103>SR7007>55"ES8000
post #5879 of 19243 Old 02-20-2013, 11:10 AM

Just got one last night and haven't played too much with it after downloading latest firmware.

One weird thing that is happening (lip sync is also scaring me big time but I still need to tinker):

When trying to do 3D from Directv via Oppo, the still 2D display is split in two. I have HDMI 1 out going to proj and HDMI 2 out going to pre/pro (Anthem AVM50) for audio.

Thoughts?
post #5880 of 19243 Old 02-20-2013, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie1210 View Post

The Vudu streams are not compressed?
It's compressed, but I still saw little or no motion blur.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page