post #6121 of 17943 Old 02-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymerritt View Post

Anyone have any problem with the Eagles farewell BD disk that came out yesterday?
Here is what I sent to Oppo support to see if they have suggestion for me:

I have had very positive results with my BDP-103 until yesterday. I received the new Blu-ray of The Eagles farewell tour Melbourne and when I try to access the disk pop-up menu it is very erratic and sometimes skips from point to point, and makes it hard to navigate to different songs and features via the menu. I also tried the same disk in my BDP-93 & PS3, and they do not exhibit this problem. This is first disk with problem for me on the 103 and wonder if any of you folks at Oppo have any suggestions for a fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymerritt View Post

... when I try to access the disk pop-up menu it is very erratic and sometimes skips from point to point, and makes it hard to navigate to different songs and features via the menu.

Same problem here as well...

IIRC, the menu on the HD-DVD was a bit clunky as well.

Just a guess, but since the problem didn't happen on the BDP-93, try turning off GraceNote info retrieval in Setup > Network Setup. If no joy, try both enabling and disabling BD-Live access in Setup > Network Setup. If any of this cures the problem, please email OPPO with the new information.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6122 of 17943 Old 02-27-2013, 04:04 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman123 View Post

AV Receiver to match BDP-103

I got a BDP-103 since about a month ago. Since then I have been looking for an AV Receiver to match the BDP-103. So I considered an AV Receiver to be in the same price range as the BDP-103. A visual match was also important, and due to space constraint, I definitively wanted a slimline receiver. And that is where the problem starts, because there are not that many slimline receivers around. I considered the Pioneer VSX-S300/500, but I was told by shops in Hong Kong (where I live) that these models were discontinued. They are still available in Europe and North America. l considered a Cambridge Audio Azur 551R , but dropped the idea due to price. Then I looked at Marantz NR1403/1603, but visually they don't match the Oppo that well.

By accident, I saw a new entry model from Cambridge Audio, the Azur 351R. And that was a perfect match for the Oppo BDP-103. Or the Oppo a match for the Azur. Whatever. I bought the Azur and I am now installing it.

Judge for yourself:
Higher resolution picture:
Oppo BDP-103 & Azur351R.JPG 1440k .JPG file

Very nice look, yes I am the same with esthetics I wished oppo would make a silver model, to go with my Classé

post #6123 of 17943 Old 02-27-2013, 04:06 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach KG View PostI just want to commend Oppo on their outstanding customer service. They are a role model for the entire HT Industry and for that matter all consumer products. In my instance, I had some occasional handshake issues with my new model Yamaha AVR several weeks ago. They assured me then that they "were on it". Today I received an unsolicited email from their customer service with a corrective firmware update. I loaded it onto a USB, put it in the Oppo, and after a quick upload, it solved the problem. Once in a while I splurge on a "high end toy" from reputable companies but never experience this high level of genuine care or professionalism. Oppo "had me at hello" and will keep my loyalty for many, many years.

Yes I wished the high end would take note of Oppo outstanding customer service they are the best in the Industry

post #6124 of 17943 Old 02-27-2013, 04:07 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View PostI think it's a shame Oppo don't have their own forum frown.gif

We should suggest it to them :)

post #6125 of 17943 Old 02-27-2013, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Just a guess, but since the problem didn't happen on the BDP-93, try turning off GraceNote info retrieval in Setup > Network Setup. If no joy, try both enabling and disabling BD-Live access in Setup > Network Setup. If any of this cures the problem, please email OPPO with the new information.
--Bob

I'll be following this with interest, I have the blu-ray on order right now. Further to my issue with the 103 distinguishing an SACD as a CD, Oppo wanted me to send the discs their way. I thought I'd better do some more leg work on my own before I pestered them any further. As mentioned before, it was not a receiver issue, and I've ruled out the HDMI as well (showing CD on screen, duh). I told Oppo I'd do more investigating over the next 2 weeks and contact them with the results, and they're waiting patiently. This is only a couple days in, but of my 4 discs I can only make "CD" appear on one so far, Brothers In Arms. I'll watch the others over the next little while, but really hope this turns out to be disc specific (could have sworn I saw others act up as well). Will let you know the results in a week or so for anyone who has interest.
lanping09 likes this.
post #6126 of 17943 Old 02-27-2013, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I surrender.

-Bill

Your a funny guy Bill......Wish I could figure out how to get the racers at the track to throw in the towel like that....
post #6127 of 17943 Old 02-27-2013, 05:57 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post

Bill

Sounds like you think 20 years from now we will still have black bars on home screens. I think I would take that bet. I can't believe the pace of technology in todays world.

And this IS an Oppo issue...They make a very nice machine..Now if we could just get them to make it in America...That is probably not of this earth either..LOL
eek.gif <Facepalm/>
post #6128 of 17943 Old 02-27-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

I surrender.

-Bill

Hilarious. smile.gif
post #6129 of 17943 Old 02-27-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

The 103 doesn't detect Cinavia on MKV files at this time. There's no guarantee that it won't change at some point, but for now Cinavia is only detected on optical discs and AVCHD / BDMV folder structures on the 103/105.

Thanks for the correction GSR, hopefully the OP will catch this post.
I thought I had read that full MKV rips had issues due to Cinavia. I admit I'm an M2TS movie-file only guy.. Hopefully, the OPPOs will remain semi Cinavia free.

Cheers

Love DIY
post #6130 of 17943 Old 02-27-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:

Quote:

ARGO is scope aspect ratio: 2.35:1. Why? The director wanted it that way.

Your screen is 1.77:1 (=16.9). When displaying the first on the second you will have black bars. It could not be otherwise.

The ZOOM control on the player might be useful in stretching or trimming the image the eliminate the bars, but it does not work on all Blu-ray titles at this time.

Does your TV have some sort of zoom control?

Else: watch the movie as it was intended.

-Bill

Thanks Bill and GSR
I just went down and put Argo back in. You are correct. The changeability is in the Panny. The Oppo will not let you, but the TV will. And it looks fantastic, as long as you don't get carried away with the zoom. The Panny has a " Full' setting that is nice.I just can't agree on watching it as intended. That would be like us spending big bucks for a killer engine,and then putting a governor on the race car. If you have a big screen, use it.... Thanks for the info . Tonight is going to be our first 3d movie.....
A very large percentage of movie fans think the movie is the "killer engine", and they want to come as close as possible to what you would see in a theater but do it at home. wink.gif
post #6131 of 17943 Old 02-27-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

But in the year of 2013 , it confuses me why this director ,or whoever produces these things, can't remedy this and make the" best of" both worlds.I'm sure it can be done.
If I understand what you're saying, then it's already being done. We call that "one size fits all" or HDTV. wink.gif
post #6132 of 17943 Old 02-27-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

Anything else would require Geometry Not Of This Earth. Even $499 doesn't buy you that.

Again: this is not an OPPO issue.

-Bill

Bill

Sounds like you think 20 years from now we will still have black bars on home screens. I think I would take that bet. I can't believe the pace of technology in todays world.
When was the last time you saw a movie in a theater? Do you realize that movies of all aspect ratios are shown in theaters. The theater has very little light when the movie is showing, and the theaters have black masking that is placed to cover the portions of the screen that's not needed for a particular film.

If you don't appreciate that doing what you want would defeat the reason for owning a Blu-ray player that cost more than $90 player, I wonder why you bought an OPPO in the first place. There are movies that will look their best and fill the screen top to bottom and side to side. As it happens they are all 1.78:1 or with a slight fudge, 1.85:1 films. It's just the wider movies where you won't get your monies worth

Enjoy. smile.gif.

Edit: Actually, you can have what you want right now. All you need is a front projector with the correct lens setup, a screen with automatically adjustable masking, and a dedicated room to put them into. There are many home theater owners who are doing just that and they love it. Their OPPO Blu-ray players are perfect for the job. Of course you could buy a really really really nice car for the price of such a home theater.
post #6133 of 17943 Old 02-27-2013, 08:47 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphader View Post

and did own a Chevy Corvair.

And lived to tell the tale. I drove one once. Scared the hell out of me, going around corners. Looked nice, though. smile.gif
post #6134 of 17943 Old 02-27-2013, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Hello all! Brand-new member here!

I took delivery of my all-region-modified Oppo 103 from Bombay Electronics on January 17th... so I've had it for about six weeks, now. At the same time, I bought a new Yamaha RX-A2010, as an upgrade from my eight-year-old RX-V750. My TV is a 2009 Samsung 58" Plasma PN58B860. I subsequently calibrated the Samsung/Oppo combination using the Disney WOW calibration Blu-ray disc... but I'm still tweaking the brightness/contrast a bit.

About two weeks before I received the BDP-103, I started reading every post in this thread, from the beginning... and finally "caught up" four days ago. While my head is still spinning somewhat, I have to say that this is the most amazingly knowledgeable and helpful group of people I've ever encountered. The amount of understanding that I've gained from all of you -- with special emphasis on Bob and Bill -- is both incredible and invaluable. So first off... my deepest thanks.

I'm certainly no AV engineer, but I will say that from the standpoints of build, sound, and picture quality, I am completely blown away by the Oppo. I love its clean, understated, minimalist design, its solid-as-steel construction, and its completely silent operation. Loading times -- compared to the Philips BDP5012 which the Oppo replaced -- make me feel like I've shifted into warp six. The Oppo loads BDs faster than my Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player loads standard-def discs!

For picture and sound output, I'm running the "split" HDMI 1 & 2 output configuration. The picture on the Samsung, with all of the Oppo's picture-adjustment settings left at their defaults, is jaw-dropping... and CDs and SACDs are cleaner and purer-sounding than I have ever experienced. Hi-def audio tracks from Blu-rays are astonishing (If you haven't yet done it, try the "Jeff Beck performing this week... Live at Ronnie Scott's" Blu-ray. UNBELIEVABLE).

Regarding the all-region mod by Bombay... it works flawlessly. I have many SD-DVDs from several different regions -- PAL and NTSC -- and they all play perfectly, without any user input necessary; just pop the disc in. Playing Blu-ray discs from regions other than the one the player is currently set to, is as simple as turning the player on without a disc in the tray, pressing a few buttons to set it to the desired region (either A, B, or C), turning it off, and turning it back on again. Again, all of mine have played flawlessly.

Bombay's modification is an internal one, and carries a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser. Also, it does not at all affect the Oppo two-year manufacturer's warranty, nor (they claim) is the modification affected by firmware updates. I have not yet had a chance to test this, because my unit arrived with the lastest (38-1220) version already installed. Whether this turns out to be true or false, I will definitely post about it after my first upgrade. I can say that I have contacted their customer service by e-mail several times, and have always gotten a same-day response.

Like many, I initially balked a little at the price of the 103. WOW... am I glad I changed my mind! I couldn't possibly be happier.

By way of a slight diversion from topic, for a moment, though:

Regarding the aspect-ratio issue that was brought up by ss3740... is it really possible that this person has never been to a movie theater or an art museum, or looked at a magazine or a photograph or a painting or a print, in his entire life?

If he HAS been to a movie theater, one wonders how many times he's stood up at the beginning of a non-16:9 feature film and shouted at the projectionist to "ZOOM IN!"

And if he's been to an art museum... is he equally disturbed by the fact that nearly every painting or photograph is a different shape? Has he asked the curator of the museum to crop them all to 16:9?

Anyway... I'm very happy to be a part of this AVS forum. Hopefully I can one day contribute something worthwhile. In the meantime... I'm loving my Oppo 103!
farkem likes this.
post #6135 of 17943 Old 02-28-2013, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Change of digital board-layout of BDP-103 and DIY region free mod-kit does not work?

I have just bought a BDP-103 DIY region-free mod-kit from bluraychip.dk But when I wanted to install it, I found that the socket, where it should be plugged in, is missing. It is just not there.
Does anybody did this also, experienced the same problem and knows how to solve this?

Thank you.

I wrote to bluraychip.dk and I am waiting for an answer.
post #6136 of 17943 Old 02-28-2013, 07:53 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post

Change of digital board-layout of BDP-103 and DIY region free mod-kit does not work?

I have just bought a BDP-103 DIY region-free mod-kit from bluraychip.dk But when I wanted to install it, I found that the socket, where it should be plugged in, is missing. It is just not there.
Does anybody did this also, experienced the same problem and knows how to solve this?

Thank you.

I wrote to bluraychip.dk and I am waiting for an answer.

I had email from someone in the Netherlands reporting the same thing. Has there been a change in the EU model? Where did you buy your player? Could you ask them if they know about this and tell us what they say?

-Bill
post #6137 of 17943 Old 02-28-2013, 08:09 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

--Bob
Problem with Eagles farewell tour Melbourne Blu-ray. Thanks, tried the suggestions and it helped a lot but still takes 10 seconds after pressing the popup menu for menu to display, not a big deal so will just use my trusty 93 for playing this disk as it works as it should and maybe after a few more firmware updates the 103 will be usable. I did email Oppo on my findings.

Bill
post #6138 of 17943 Old 02-28-2013, 08:18 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 841
For European users of the BDP-103EU player, Oppo UK has now posted the Spanish language user Manual:

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/customer-services/downloads/

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6139 of 17943 Old 02-28-2013, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I had email from someone in the Netherlands reporting the same thing. Has there been a change in the EU model? Where did you buy your player? Could you ask them if they know about this and tell us what they say?

-Bill

Sure Bill, no problem. I bought my player in January from QuantumAV in the UK via Amazon UK. It was less expensive there.
As soon as I got an answer, I will post it here.
I hope, they have a solution for this problem.

Please find attached a picture of the re-designed board. On the lower left side of the heat sink close to the - I guess - round capacitor or coil, there should be a 4-pin socket. But there isn't. There are just some SMD components.

Markus

post #6140 of 17943 Old 02-28-2013, 08:46 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 336
There are region-free kits that don't require an internal connection. See the FAQ for links.

-Bill
post #6141 of 17943 Old 02-28-2013, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Sure Bill, but I bought this kit and it seems it doesn't work. Except I want to throw 89$ into the trash bin, I will wait and see, what the manufacturer of the kit will answer me.
May be the same function has moved to one of the other two sockets on the board? Who knows.

Also, I don't blame anybody for this. These things happen and I am sure, there will be a solution by bluraychip.dk.

But I thought it may be helpful for others, that they check their player first, if it also has this modified digital board layout, before they buy a DIY kit and face the same situation I did.
Also, may be somebody has also experienced the same problem and knows already a solution from the manufacturer?

However, I don't mind. I still have a Denon region free player and have no problems. I can wait until there is a solution.

Thank you for taking care and I will post the result here.
post #6142 of 17943 Old 02-28-2013, 10:35 AM

I have an interesting issue with my BDP-103. When loading WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) Blu-ray from a powered down state that are already in the disc tray the disc menu options (PLAY, CHAPTERS, etc.) do not appear on the main menu screen. If I stop the disc and re-load it or if I insert the disc while the player is already powered on the menu options appear properly. The menu options also appear properly if I use the Quick Start option versus Energy Efficient option. Has anyone else experienced this with other discs?

I am wondering if my bluraychip.dk mod chip is creating this issue?
post #6143 of 17943 Old 02-28-2013, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdittmer View Post

I have an interesting issue with my BDP-103. When loading WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) Blu-ray from a powered down state that are already in the disc tray the disc menu options (PLAY, CHAPTERS, etc.) do not appear on the main menu screen. If I stop the disc and re-load it or if I insert the disc while the player is already powered on the menu options appear properly. The menu options also appear properly if I use the Quick Start option versus Energy Efficient option. Has anyone else experienced this with other discs?

I am wondering if my bluraychip.dk mod chip is creating this issue?

I had that happen yesterday with Snow White and the Huntsman. It just stayed on the main screen with no menu options, and it kept repeating until I powered off and back on. Then it was fine and the PLAY, CHAPTERS, EXTRAS selections were there.

I have not done ANY mods.

BDP103>SR7007>55"ES8000
post #6144 of 17943 Old 02-28-2013, 01:55 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie1210 View Post

I had that happen yesterday with Snow White and the Huntsman. It just stayed on the main screen with no menu options, and it kept repeating until I powered off and back on. Then it was fine and the PLAY, CHAPTERS, EXTRAS selections were there.
I had something similar happen with Anna Karenina -- like Snow White and the Huntsman, this is a Universal Blu-Ray. After the previews for other movies, which I could skip through, there was a preview of sorts for Anna Karenina itself, which kept repeating without letting me see the actual movie. I removed the disk, restarted the player, erased Persistent Storage, restarted again, and this time I was able to play the movie. I've never had BD-live turned on, but for quite a few Universal Blu-Rays I've had to go through such steps before getting anywhere.

Terry
post #6145 of 17943 Old 02-28-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 26354 View Post

Hello all! Brand-new member here!

By way of a slight diversion from topic, for a moment, though:

Regarding the aspect-ratio issue that was brought up by ss3740... is it really possible that this person has never been to a movie theater or an art museum, or looked at a magazine or a photograph or a painting or a print, in his entire life?

If he HAS been to a movie theater, one wonders how many times he's stood up at the beginning of a non-16:9 feature film and shouted at the projectionist to "ZOOM IN!"

And if he's been to an art museum... is he equally disturbed by the fact that nearly every painting or photograph is a different shape? Has he asked the curator of the museum to crop them all to 16:9?

Anyway... I'm very happy to be a part of this AVS forum. Hopefully I can one day contribute something worthwhile. In the meantime... I'm loving my Oppo 103!

OK, OK, I Give....... My Aspect Ratio lesson is now over

I have to laugh ....Art Museum? Can you say boring! I race Cars all summer and was just looking for something to get into a little different in the off months. I unfortunately also am The Union President for a large corporation .Keeps me real busy as about 450 people depend on us (Union) to be there on a daily basis, so my time is scare for movies...... But this winter nothing was going on with the race car as it is prepared and we just came off a grueling arbitration case....So I thought I would look into a better system for our basement. Your right, I have only been to the movies a couple times in the last couple decades, as most of my free weekends I'm strapped in a car.I'm sure if you entered into my "field" I could have a few jabs at you guys, but all in fun..

The OPPO is indeed everything I wanted in a player, and the 4520 is nice also. Speakers are next, do you think I'm going to get a lesson over on that thread also?LOL
saylormd likes this.
post #6146 of 17943 Old 02-28-2013, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvross View Post

I had something similar happen with Anna Karenina -- like Snow White and the Huntsman, this is a Universal Blu-Ray. After the previews for other movies, which I could skip through, there was a preview of sorts for Anna Karenina itself, which kept repeating without letting me see the actual movie. I removed the disk, restarted the player, erased Persistent Storage, restarted again, and this time I was able to play the movie. I've never had BD-live turned on, but for quite a few Universal Blu-Rays I've had to go through such steps before getting anywhere.

Terry

Me too, with Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom blu ray. Just kept being stuck in this loop of previews to the main feature with no access to menus till I ejected and restarted.
post #6147 of 17943 Old 02-28-2013, 04:15 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post

Me too, with Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom blu ray. Just kept being stuck in this loop of previews to the main feature with no access to menus till I ejected and restarted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvross View Post

Terry

Same thing happened to me a couple nights ago with Skyfall. Kept cycling through the scenes of the movie that show on the main menu screen with no menu choices below. Powered down and back up and had access to the choices again. Strange....
post #6148 of 17943 Old 02-28-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I've had the same disc menu difficulties with several of the Bond Blu-rays.
post #6149 of 17943 Old 02-28-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

OK, OK, I Give....... My Aspect Ratio lesson is now over
You've been very cheerful during your lesson. I'm sure many people here have appreciated that. smile.gif
Quote:
I have to laugh ....Art Museum? Can you say boring!
That depends -- right?
Quote:
Your right, I have only been to the movies a couple times in the last couple decades, as most of my free weekends I'm strapped in a car.
With your new home theater, you have the opportunity to come close to the theater experience at home. Learn from the ones who have been doing so for many years. wink.gif
Quote:
I'm sure if you entered into my "field" I could have a few jabs at you guys, but all in fun.
That's very true, but I'm sure some of us would try to learn.
Quote:
The OPPO is indeed everything I wanted in a player, and the 4520 is nice also.
You've got an outstanding start.
Quote:
Speakers are next, do you think I'm going to get a lesson over on that thread also?LOL
There's only one Blu-ray player with OPPO's characteristics, but the number of choices in speakers is mind boggling. You can always PM the folks in this thread or the Denon owner's thread, and ask them about their speakers. wink.gif

If you like movies with big sound effects, get to know something about sub-woofers because a good one, set up properly, will make a big difference. By the way, "The Avengers" is very good action movie released on Blu-ray with a 1.78:1 aspect ratio. That's not a common aspect ratio for action films. Maybe there is one director who is going after the "fill the screen" folks.

Do you race in circles or on wiggly roads?
post #6150 of 17943 Old 02-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Does the 103 still allow Blu-Ray over component?

I bought a 93 about a year ago because i found out that it did bluray over component (to my aging 65" RPTV).

I have since moved and am putting together a dedicated theater with a projector. Based on what i read I should use the 93 in the dedicated theater as it doesn't have Cinavia and I might be running rips at some point when i put together some whole house distribution.

If so, i will buy a 103, use it for my 65" in other room, and use my 93 for my projector.

Would my projector (JVC X95) be losing anything with the 93 versus the 103?

Thanks!

TK Doom

Unreal Tournament Forever
Project Gotham Racing too!

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page