Forum Jump: 

post #6211 of 17761 Old 03-02-2013, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdittmer View Post

Oppo indicated they can control the amount of NR applied via firmware but they chose to leave it on due to Netflix image considerations.

I wonder why they assumed that everyone would use Netflix anyway. I thought DNR was a big no-no because it scrubs away fine detail. I mean, as an option for people that want to mess with it, fine, but to have it forced on in every mode seems odd.

Anyway, when my unit comes on Tuesday, would you recommend hooking up with HDMI 2 to get around this problem, or using HDMI 1 and putting the sharpness at +1? My setup is: Blu-ray===HDMI===AVR===HDMI===HDTV

Thanks.

Yamaha RX-A1020 AVR | Paradigm Monitor 11v7 L/R | Paradigm Monitor Center 3v7 C | Paradigm Monitor Surround 3v7 LS/RS | Klipsch SW-350 sub
Samsung HL61A750 HDTV | Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player | Logitech Harmony 650 | Sony PS3 Slim 500gb | Nintendo Wii

My movie room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 17761 Old 03-02-2013, 09:43 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2037 View Post

Goddamit, I just ordered one from Amazon for this reason, to play back 23.976 bluray content smoothly, as the PC is unable to do this. I was hoping to play the iso's from the PC and pass it through the Oppo.

Canceled my order, I really need to find a workable solution to the HTPC jitter, with a HDD. Anybody else tested 23.976 over the HDMI input?

Might have to get the BDP-93/95 pre-jan-2013 firmware.
post #6213 of 17761 Old 03-03-2013, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Canceled my order, I really need to find a workable solution to the HTPC jitter, with a HDD. Anybody else tested 23.976 over the HDMI input?

Might have to get the BDP-93/95 pre-jan-2013 firmware.
I've connected various media playback devices to both of the Oppo's HDMI input ports. Playback of 'pure progressive' 23.976fps (and 24.000fps) sources seems fine to me. I've not tried anything containing 'pull-down' flags though...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #6214 of 17761 Old 03-03-2013, 04:25 AM

Liked: 21
Just a quick question here for anyone that uses an external HDD with this unit. Does the HDD have to be formatted FAT32 or NTFS?

Yamaha RX-A1020 AVR | Paradigm Monitor 11v7 L/R | Paradigm Monitor Center 3v7 C | Paradigm Monitor Surround 3v7 LS/RS | Klipsch SW-350 sub
Samsung HL61A750 HDTV | Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player | Logitech Harmony 650 | Sony PS3 Slim 500gb | Nintendo Wii

My movie room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
post #6215 of 17761 Old 03-03-2013, 04:26 AM

Liked: 11
That's interesting,
Because I just tried again with two different sources, one at 23,976 and one at 24.000, and they both interpreted at 24hz by the 103.
You can check by pressing info on the 103 remote.
Same results on both hdmi inputs.
post #6216 of 17761 Old 03-03-2013, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post

Just a quick question here for anyone that uses an external HDD with this unit. Does the HDD have to be formatted FAT32 or NTFS?

Yes.

post #6217 of 17761 Old 03-03-2013, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

I wonder why they assumed that everyone would use Netflix anyway. I thought DNR was a big no-no because it scrubs away fine detail. I mean, as an option for people that want to mess with it, fine, but to have it forced on in every mode seems odd.

Anyway, when my unit comes on Tuesday, would you recommend hooking up with HDMI 2 to get around this problem, or using HDMI 1 and putting the sharpness at +1? My setup is: Blu-ray===HDMI===AVR===HDMI===HDTV

Thanks.

IMO HDMI 2 set to Source Direct has a sharper and more detailed picture. However, as I said in post 5276, there may be color upsampling issues with some setups. My advice is to try HDMI 2 but check the 3 color space settings using familiar reference sources.
post #6218 of 17761 Old 03-03-2013, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

I just ordered one from Amazon for this reason, to play back 23.976 bluray content smoothly, as the PC is unable to do this. I was hoping to play the iso's from the PC and pass it through the Oppo.

I don't know if the oppo has any such issue at the moment, but if your playback source has problems with proper frame rate, passing hdmi through the oppo isn't going to fix that.
post #6219 of 17761 Old 03-03-2013, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a question for anyone that may know I think I read here in this forum that redbox will soon start streaming there movies and not sure when. When they do will we be able to get them here on the bdp-103 and if so how. Are we able to download the app to our player or how does this work.
post #6220 of 17761 Old 03-03-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 77
No downloading of apps to the player. As far as native apps on the Oppo, this depends on the app supplier. They determine whether they want to let Oppo have their app and add it to the Oppo. Then Oppo can roll it out in a firmware update. So far, only a few companies have supplied a movie downloading app to Oppo.

The best choice for someone who wants the ability to have more sources would be the Roku stick (available to Oppo owners for $49 directly from Oppo) which provides many different sources and would probably offer Redbox, once available (though there is no guarantee). Some users have had some issues with the Roku stick so check out what has been said about it in this forum by using search.

post #6221 of 17761 Old 03-03-2013, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Hmmm I just bought a roku stick on amazon for $99 and was considering just sending it back since I havent opened it yet. Thought I needed it before knowing there was a wireless adapter that came with my oppo

What other sources can I pick up right now if I were to plug in the roku stick.
I believe I have the roku 3400
post #6222 of 17761 Old 03-03-2013, 09:14 AM

Liked: 15
You can return the stick to Amazon, buy it from Oppo for half the price (no downside there) and then use the stick as is. I use it with Plex (free) from my Mac to stream from my computer- simple and easy. Roku also has tons of apps you can add (Oppo's apps are limited, and you can't add more), some free, some pay, some sorta in the middle. Best $50 I've spent in a while.
post #6223 of 17761 Old 03-03-2013, 09:57 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks.

It really is a matter of personal preference. I have gone back and forth between HDMI1 and HDMI2. I currently am running on HDMI1 with sharpness at +1. I have the same setup as you.
Nicodimus22 likes this.
post #6224 of 17761 Old 03-03-2013, 12:26 PM

Liked: 22
The Avengers looked absolutely perfect. Sharpness on -0.

BDP103>SR7007>55"ES8000
post #6225 of 17761 Old 03-03-2013, 02:10 PM

Liked: 10
I use a portable USB drive hooked into the back of Oppo for playing movie files. If I play a file that the Oppo is unable to play, the screen stalls with the "loading" icon endlessly looping at (example) 25% loading and whole machine stays like that forever until I power it down. I think that the stop button should be able to abort this file but it doesn't. So I restart the Oppo with the power button and try to browse to a file on the USB drive and although it can find the drive where the media files are (nested in folders two deep) it endlessly goes into "loading" when trying to display all the 800 file names. The only cure is to power it down, unplug the HDD usb cord from the back of the Oppo and plug the usb cord back in. Then it quickly finds all the file names.

I reported this to Oppo today but curious if others have seen same issue. Using latest 1220 firmware.
post #6226 of 17761 Old 03-03-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES MCHUGHES View Post

Hmmm I just bought a roku stick on amazon for $99 and was considering just sending it back since I havent opened it yet. Thought I needed it before knowing there was a wireless adapter that came with my oppo

What other sources can I pick up right now if I were to plug in the roku stick.I believe I have the roku 3400
http://streamfree.tv/apps/
Here is a link to the best listing of pretty much all the channels, public, private and in the Roku store as well as some other info you can add to the Roku. There is a LOT!

post #6227 of 17761 Old 03-04-2013, 06:04 AM

Ok so...maybe run everything through HDMI 2 for blu-rays when I get my player back (had to send it back, guy sent me one with standard mod instead of pro mod by mistake). However for DVDs which do you recommend. Everyone has always crowd about oppos amazing DVD upscaling capabilites. Do I still see any of that through HDMI 2?
post #6228 of 17761 Old 03-04-2013, 06:24 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaKnowTech View Post

Everyone has always crowd

Surely not.
Quote:
about oppos amazing DVD upscaling capabilites. Do I still see any of that through HDMI 2?

Best to try it yourself and trust your own eyes. Mediatek processing on HDMI2 is quite good for DVDs these days.

-Bill
post #6229 of 17761 Old 03-04-2013, 06:54 AM

Liked: 12
What's the difference between getting the Roku Stick vs. the Roku Box in terms of features and performance?
post #6230 of 17761 Old 03-04-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Surely not.

Best to try it yourself and trust your own eyes. Mediatek processing on HDMI2 is quite good for DVDs these days.

-Bill

They haven't? I thought Oppo was known for being the best with upscaling DVDs. Back when DVD still mattered everyone always said Oppo were great. Back then I couldn't afford one.
post #6231 of 17761 Old 03-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 802
The ROKU Streaming Stick uses the OPPO remote instead of a separate remote.

The Stick uses its own built-in Wifi, separate from any network connection of the OPPO. So you must have Wifi to use the stick. At least one Roku box can be hooked up by Ethernet instead of Wifi.

The Stick must use the Front HDMI Input of the OPPO, since that one has MHL power. The box is separately powered, and if you want to run it through the OPPO you can use either the Front or Rear HDMI Input.

The Stick as sold by OPPO does not include its own Roku remote, and also has special discount pricing.

The Stick runs the same Roku Channel apps as their 1080p-capable boxes, evidently with the same performance.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6232 of 17761 Old 03-04-2013, 08:10 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:

They haven't? I thought Oppo was known for being the best with upscaling DVDs. Back when DVD still mattered everyone always said Oppo were great. Back then I couldn't afford one.

The upscaling is still very good, but it has taken a step back from the days of the ABT chip (in terms of pure accuracy).
I kept my 983 and 83 Oppos partly because a lot of my collection are films that have never been released on BR.

On the 103, in terms of pure accuracy HDMI 2 is the better bet. The picture looks very nice from HDMI 1, but
there's a bit too much NR, and some artificial contrast enhancement. (I say this based on comparison tests on
DVDs I was involved in mastering).

All that said these are subtle differences. But HMDI 2 will give you a touch more subtle detail, especially in shadow
areas, and doesn't have any artificially added 'pop'. But it's not like HDMI 1 is some horrible distortion of the image.
If you like it best, you're still getting an image that looks quite good, and is closer to the original than most lesser players.
post #6233 of 17761 Old 03-04-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway1 View Post

browse to a file on the USB drive and although it can find the drive where the media files are (nested in folders two deep) it endlessly goes into "loading" when trying to display all the 800 file names. The only cure is to power it down, unplug the HDD usb cord from the back of the Oppo and plug the usb cord back in. Then it quickly finds all the file names.

Do you have gracenote activated in the oppo's settings? I suspect the "endlessly loading" is somehow connected to gracenote accessing the internet and downloading metadata(including thumbnail artwork) pertinent to each media file contained in the usb drive. Depending on your internet bandwidth, this process may take a couple minutes or more. I suggest deactivating gracenote in the oppo's settings and see if your accessing/loading problem remains.
post #6234 of 17761 Old 03-04-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidetracked View Post

The upscaling is still very good, but it has taken a step back from the days of the ABT chip (in terms of pure accuracy).
I kept my 983 and 83 Oppos partly because a lot of my collection are films that have never been released on BR.

On the 103, in terms of pure accuracy HDMI 2 is the better bet. The picture looks very nice from HDMI 1, but
there's a bit too much NR, and some artificial contrast enhancement. (I say this based on comparison tests on
DVDs I was involved in mastering).

All that said these are subtle differences. But HMDI 2 will give you a touch more subtle detail, especially in shadow
areas, and doesn't have any artificially added 'pop'. But it's not like HDMI 1 is some horrible distortion of the image.
If you like it best, you're still getting an image that looks quite good, and is closer to the original than most lesser players.

Since Oppo has declared the HDMI1 issue non-fixable, I am curious how Cambridge Audio's Azur 752BD handles the situation.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #6235 of 17761 Old 03-04-2013, 09:03 AM

Liked: 10
After three months waiting my BDP-103 due a huge burocratic methods from my post services (I am a Brazilian customer), I start to test my unit.

Unfortunately, I am getting several issues with the Oppo and my set-box, which freezes when plugged into HDMI IN of Oppo. Probabily some handshake issue. I'll wait that newests versions of firmware could fix it.

The BDP-103 continues without support for MKV MVC 3D (USB, Network or even Media Server) and ".cue" files also are not supported.

At least, the support for netflix was greatly improved and I can get fullHD images with 5.1 audio.
post #6236 of 17761 Old 03-04-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The ROKU Streaming Stick uses the OPPO remote instead of a separate remote.

The Stick uses its own built-in Wifi, separate from any network connection of the OPPO. So you must have Wifi to use the stick. At least one Roku box can be hooked up by Ethernet instead of Wifi.

The Stick must use the Front HDMI Input of the OPPO, since that one has MHL power. The box is separately powered, and if you want to run it through the OPPO you can use either the Front or Rear HDMI Input.

The Stick as sold by OPPO does not include its own Roku remote, and also has special discount pricing.

The Stick runs the same Roku Channel apps as their 1080p-capable boxes, evidently with the same performance.
--Bob
Thanks. I wish the stick could leverage Ethernet hookup from OPPO. Also, not liking the idea of plugging in a stick from the font. Wish they had a rear MHL port.
post #6237 of 17761 Old 03-04-2013, 10:21 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Since Oppo has declared the HDMI1 issue non-fixable

I missed that. I haven't seen a statement of any sort.

-Bill
post #6238 of 17761 Old 03-04-2013, 10:22 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

I meant we hadn't "crowd" about it here, or even "crowed".

You have a 30-day return on the player, all it costs you is return shipping. Try it and see,

-Bill
post #6239 of 17761 Old 03-04-2013, 10:49 AM

Liked: 17
I just like to emphasize that the way your TV is setup can make a huge difference. I contacted Oppo last week stating that I had some files that had a jerky playback. They where ready to receive my files but I first opted to double check them first. I even decided to check my TV using my S&M disc. While doing that I came accross a few settings in my Sony TV that where set to auto and one in particular that was for motion improvement. I decided to turn them all off and bingo no more jerky playback! cool.gif

I was also appalled to discover that by default my Sony TV was set to over-scan and zoom the image losing about an inch all around my 46 inch TV. This is forcing scaling even on a blue ray disc! eek.gifmad.gif This is now turned off too.

I do have question for any expert on this forum. On my TV the sharpness comes at a default of 15. I turned that down to zero to let the Oppo solelly do the job. But I was wondering if the sharpness control on a TV as a range that includes removing sharpness? Does it go from removing sharpness to no change to adding sharpness? Am I wrong to set it to zero?
post #6240 of 17761 Old 03-04-2013, 10:58 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboileau View Post

I just like to emphasize that the way your TV is setup can make a huge difference. I contacted Oppo last week stating that I had some files that had a jerky playback. They where ready to receive my files but I first opted to double check them first. I even decided to check my TV using my S&M disc. While doing that I came accross a few settings in my Sony TV that where set to auto and one in particular that was for motion improvement. I decided to turn them all off and bingo no more jerky playback! cool.gif

I was also appalled to discover that by default my Sony TV was set to over-scan and zoom the image losing about an inch all around my 46 inch TV. This is forcing scaling even on a blue ray disc! eek.gifmad.gif This is now turned off too.

I had a similar experience with a friend's new display (also a Sony, although that may be coincidence). He called me up in a panic because people were coming over to be impressed and it wasn't looking quite right. With the S&M disc we found:

• overscan in the default mode (the rule should be to always use 1:1 pixel mapping)
  • default sharpness was turned up to "ugly"
  • motion interpolation was on by default
  • we had to do the more usual black level, white level, color and tint adjustments

It made a night and day difference.
Quote:
I do have question for any expert on this forum. On my TV the sharpness comes at a default of 15. I turned that down to zero to let the Oppo solelly do the job. But I was wondering if the sharpness control on a TV as a range that includes removing sharpness? Does it go from removing sharpness to no change to adding sharpness? Am I wrong to set it to zero?

There is no standard for sharpness control range. Sometimes 0 is "off" but sometimes it may introduce softness. Put up a hidef test pattern with fine detail and run the control up and down. I think we set the display above to 0.

-Bill
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page