Forum Jump: 
 238Likes

post #6541 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cheers,

I'd be greatful for your help, regarding my issue described here - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1311806/official-oppo-bdp-95-owners-thread/10260#post_23074846

Please Copy-Paste the URL above, since the direct link to post doesn't work.

Thanx in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6542 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

If I understand correctly, you are hearing the problem on the Analog outputs only -- not when you try HDMI output.

Start by confirming that DTS Neo:6 Mode is OFF.

Then try this: Set HDMI Audio OFF. Does the pop on Analog go away? If so, re-enable HDMI Audio but be sure to use either LPCM or Bitstream -- not Auto. Also, set SACD Output PCM. These settings simplify what the device at the other end of the cable has to do when a new audio stream starts up. Is the pop on Analog still gone?

As a last check, *TEMPORARILY* disconnect the HDMI output cables from the OPPO (both of them if you are using both). Does the pop on Analog go away? If *NOT* then you know what's going on is not related to HDMI. The most likely scenario is that there is a DC voltage bias or some other form of interference on your Analog outputs which is what's causing the transient as the signal comes out of mute.
--Bob

Bob, thanks very much. We've tried everything you've suggested--including disconnecting the HDMI output. The ONLY time we hear it is using analog cables. Not sure what DC voltage bias means--do we have a defective unit?

I'm a bit frustrated because we had an earlier issue with a "noise floor" in the 103--we had to turn our speaker volume down by about 10 or 12 db to get rid of the electronic humming. We compared this to our Denon DVD-3910, cranking it up to maximum volume and it was dead quiet.

The picture quality is great and the sound quality is great--particularly on standard definition CDs. If we could lose the little pop we'd be very happy campers (although I still find that noise floor issue unsatisfactory). If our six-year-old 3910 doesn't have it why should the Oppo?
post #6543 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My Panasonic Blu-Ray player is getting real long in the tooth. It was a very highly rated Blu-ray player some five odd years ago. LOL But lately the time to load and play a Blu ray disc has become excessive and annoying. My system consists of a Marantz AV7005 processor, a Velodyne SPL1200R subwoofer, and Ascend Acoustic Sierra One bookshelf speakers in the front. I would probably never use any of the networking features. I am really not into that. But, I do care about the audio aspect. I looked at my local Costco and all the Panasonic, Sony, and Samsung players are in the $89-$99 range. Does the BDP 103 SOUND $400 better than the Costco offerings via HDMI? Also, would I be able to use the 103 in place of my current Marantz CD 5003 standalone player? Would it match the Marantz as far as SOUND quality for CD playback ? Standard CDs only. No high tech stuff. LOL Any help would be highly appreciated.
post #6544 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 422
I'm still hoping that someone can answer whether the BDP-93 supposedly has the same HDMI 1 softening issue as the BDP-103.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #6545 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 11:10 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Hancock View Post

Bob, thanks very much. We've tried everything you've suggested--including disconnecting the HDMI output. The ONLY time we hear it is using analog cables. Not sure what DC voltage bias means--do we have a defective unit?

I'm a bit frustrated because we had an earlier issue with a "noise floor" in the 103--we had to turn our speaker volume down by about 10 or 12 db to get rid of the electronic humming. We compared this to our Denon DVD-3910, cranking it up to maximum volume and it was dead quiet.

The picture quality is great and the sound quality is great--particularly on standard definition CDs. If we could lose the little pop we'd be very happy campers (although I still find that noise floor issue unsatisfactory). If our six-year-old 3910 doesn't have it why should the Oppo?

That's not good! So many issues, soon to be fixed Oppo stands behind their products
post #6546 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhooper1963 View Post

My Panasonic Blu-Ray player is getting real long in the tooth. It was a very highly rated Blu-ray player some five odd years ago. LOL But lately the time to load and play a Blu ray disc has become excessive and annoying. My system consists of a Marantz AV7005 processor, a Velodyne SPL1200R subwoofer, and Ascend Acoustic Sierra One bookshelf speakers in the front. I would probably never use any of the networking features. I am really not into that. But, I do care about the audio aspect. I looked at my local Costco and all the Panasonic, Sony, and Samsung players are in the $89-$99 range. Does the BDP 103 SOUND $400 better than the Costco offerings via HDMI? Also, would I be able to use the 103 in place of my current Marantz CD 5003 standalone player? Would it match the Marantz as far as SOUND quality for CD playback ? Standard CDs only. No high tech stuff. LOL Any help would be highly appreciated.

Using digital connects, all players will "sound" the same. You would want the Oppo for its universal disc and media support as well as other features. If all you want is a transport for discs, any player is fine.
post #6547 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 12:10 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View PostUsing digital connects, all players will "sound" the same. You would want the Oppo for its universal disc and media support as well as other features. If all you want is a transport for discs, any player is fine.

Agreed, it will depend on you AV

post #6548 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 12:55 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I'm still hoping that someone can answer whether the BDP-93 supposedly has the same HDMI 1 softening issue as the BDP-103.

Have you checked the 93 owners thread? I'd think the sharpness issue would have come up there if there was one.

That said, I will say for a while I had both the 83 and 93 in my system, and I thought the 83 looked a touch better -- but that is an
unscientific, personal observation.
post #6549 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidetracked View Post

So what follows are my opinions. There are others, and there are no absolutes.
Well said.

Panny 65VT50 / DTV Genie / OPPO 103 / Roku 3 / Denon 1613 / Klipsch Quintet 5.0
post #6550 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Using digital connects, all players will "sound" the same. You would want the Oppo for its universal disc and media support as well as other features. If all you want is a transport for discs, any player is fine.

I agree with rd, but give you another reason to buy Oppo. I was just tired of buying crap, pure and simple. I had a Samsung 5700 player less than a year old, never liked it much. Drawer made a grinding noise when opening, had to unplug it at least once a week after it would freeze, and if you touched it even slightly while putting in a disc it would scoot across the shelf. I'm not just picking on Samsung here, and I know there are contented people out there with good, cheaper players, but there are a lot of players in the $70-$120 range like the Samsung I had. If you get one of those, come back in a year or two and tell us how you're liking it then. I've started collecting SACDs now as well as blu-ray, and I feel this player will be around and functioning when 4K becomes an affordable step up. If you compare players from 5 years ago to today, it seems many manufacturers have found ways to really make their products cheaper - both in price and quality of build. What I perceive to be excellent build quality is the # 1 reason I bought the 103. Just my take...
post #6551 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post

I agree with rd, but give you another reason to buy Oppo. I was just tired of buying crap, pure and simple. I had a Samsung 5700 player less than a year old, never liked it much. Drawer made a grinding noise when opening, had to unplug it at least once a week after it would freeze, and if you touched it even slightly while putting in a disc it would scoot across the shelf. I'm not just picking on Samsung here, and I know there are contented people out there with good, cheaper players, but there are a lot of players in the $70-$120 range like the Samsung I had. If you get one of those, come back in a year or two and tell us how you're liking it then. I've started collecting SACDs now as well as blu-ray, and I feel this player will be around and functioning when 4K becomes an affordable step up. If you compare players from 5 years ago to today, it seems many manufacture
rs have found ways to really make their products cheaper - both in price and quality of build. What I perceive to be excellent build quality is the # 1 reason I bought the 103. Just my take...

I agree as well.

Jacob
post #6552 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 01:51 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:

I agree with rd, but give you another reason to buy Oppo. I was just tired of buying crap, pure and simple. I had a Samsung 5700 player less than a year old, never liked it much. Drawer made a grinding noise when opening, had to unplug it at least once a week after it would freeze, and if you touched it even slightly while putting in a disc it would scoot across the shelf. I'm not just picking on Samsung here, and I know there are contented people out there with good, cheaper players, but there are a lot of players in the $70-$120 range like the Samsung I had. If you get one of those, come back in a year or two and tell us how you're liking it then. I've started collecting SACDs now as well as blu-ray, and I feel this player will be around and functioning when 4K becomes an affordable step up. If you compare players from 5 years ago to today, it seems many manufacturers have found ways to really make their products cheaper - both in price and quality of build. What I perceive to be excellent build quality is the # 1 reason I bought the 103. Just my take...

Agreed. I bought a Sony BDP-S590 brand new for $99 and that piece of junk lasted six weeks. Doing the warranty would cost half the price of the unit just for the shipping...and it would probably just break again soon anyway. No thanks.

The Oppo screams build quality, and the company is serious about fixing your problems if there are any. As a bonus, it will play damn near anything. You can easily use it as the only media playback unit in your home theater.

Yamaha RX-A1020 AVR | Paradigm Monitor 11v7 L/R | Paradigm Monitor Center 3v7 C | Paradigm Monitor Surround 3v7 LS/RS | Klipsch SW-350 sub
Samsung HL61A750 HDTV | Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player | Logitech Harmony 650 | Sony PS3 Slim 500gb | Nintendo Wii

My movie room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
post #6553 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

It does not , I have both the 93 and 103 side by side. The 93 is better.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #6554 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 78
Quote:

Josh:

I asked Oppo about this softening issue and was suprised when they told me that even the BDP93/95 has noise reduction embedded in its default settings as well. I was trying to find out why they forced a noise reduction on us in the 103/105 products...

Noise Reduction has always been a part of the Marvell QDEO processing solution. Even the BDP-9x series of players has some amount of Noise Reduction enabled by their defaults. The amount of Noise Reduction enabled between the BDP-9x and the BDP-10x are being reviews as part of the overall evaluation of the default settings of the BDP-10x series of players, but no conclusions have been made by the engineering group so we are not at this point saying "yes, we will be making changes to the firmware" or "no, the player is meeting our expectations out of box so no further changes will be made in the future" statements.

Our evaluation is too immature at this junction and we will need to time to properly evaluate the player's performance and design expectations.

Now, the suprising thing for me is that NO ONE made an issue about image softening on the 93/95 units at all. All what was said was that their upscaling was not as good as the older BDP83/83SE units. So, once could possibly conclude that the perceived softening in the 103/105 isn't as bad as its been said to be since it already exists in the older and beloved bdp-93/95 units OR one could say they jacked up the softening filter in the 103/105 units compared to the 93/95 units.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #6555 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Hancock View Post

That's not good! So many issues, soon to be fixed Oppo stands behind their products

A 10-12 dB higher noise floor? Popping music? Me thinks AB has a bad player on his hands...

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #6556 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Josh:

I asked Oppo about this softening issue and was suprised when they told me that even the BDP93/95 has noise reduction embedded in its default settings as well. I was trying to find out why they forced a noise reduction on us in the 103/105 products...

Noise Reduction has always been a part of the Marvell QDEO processing solution. Even the BDP-9x series of players has some amount of Noise Reduction enabled by their defaults. The amount of Noise Reduction enabled between the BDP-9x and the BDP-10x are being reviews as part of the overall evaluation of the default settings of the BDP-10x series of players, but no conclusions have been made by the engineering group so we are not at this point saying "yes, we will be making changes to the firmware" or "no, the player is meeting our expectations out of box so no further changes will be made in the future" statements.

Our evaluation is too immature at this junction and we will need to time to properly evaluate the player's performance and design expectations.

Now, the suprising thing for me is that NO ONE made an issue about image softening on the 93/95 units at all. All what was said was that their upscaling was not as good as the older BDP83/83SE units. So, once could possibly conclude that the perceived softening in the 103/105 isn't as bad as its been said to be since it already exists in the older and beloved bdp-93/95 units OR one could say they jacked up the softening filter in the 103/105 units compared to the 93/95 units.

I noticed it after other people has reported about the possible 93. I find the sharpness +1 is much better.

Jacob
post #6557 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sidetracked...Thanks very much for the detailed explanation!
post #6558 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Sorry, but I disagree. If you compare the players, it is not so. I know, this sounds weird, but I compared the Oppo 103 to my Denon 3800 BDCI and there is a difference in the sound. It should be bit-stream, i know but it is different.
Also, I see a difference in the PQ. Sorry to say that but digital is not digital as it seems and believe me because I know the theory and the details, I was very surprised myself.
However, I can only recommend you to test it yourself. Only seeing/hearing is believing.

I had both players connected to the same AV chain, just different inputs and played the same disk - same HDMI cable type, same set-up.

PS: There are many 'analog' parts involved and this explains it to me. If you would play from a computer disk, things are different. Then only the graphics chip would make the difference.

PS2: On my picture you can see the Oppo on the left and the Denon 3800 BDCI below.
post #6559 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Right. Except one thing- it's not like Oppo never freezes. It does, especially when using digital inputs- changing channels on cable box connected to Oppo for example. It freezes way too often but they promised to me it will be fixed with next FW update. Will see rolleyes.gif
post #6560 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 05:39 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by giedrys View Post

Right. Except one thing- it's not like Oppo never freezes. It does, especially when using digital inputs- changing channels on cable box connected to Oppo for example. It freezes way too often but they promised to me it will be fixed with next FW update. Will see rolleyes.gif

IMO, this is a techie player not a consumer player. Techies will put up with erratic and unstable operation with the promise of higher performance vs consumers that just want it to work. I have my fingers crossed that mine comes back bug free but I can't say I'm overly optimistic. The good news is the Roku stick is working great in my Onkyo 818. Couldn't say the same when paired with the Oppo. The bummer was no remote since I bought it through Oppo but the free apps are actually better than a standard remote. The Roku performance and channel selection is really worth the extra fifty bucks if you are buying an Oppo player.

Dedicated theater

JVC RS46U

Lumagen XE3D

115"d 16:9 DIY AT Seymour XD screen with DIY masking

Marantz SR7008

Oppo BDP103

Darbee Darblet

Klipsch RF7II mains

Klipsch RC64II center

PSA XS15 Sub

Roku3

Harmony 900

post #6561 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 06:35 PM

Liked: 16
Sorry to hear about your experiences with the Oppo 103. I am sure that cases like your's are exceptions rather than the rule, with a player of this quality. For $500 , you should be getting a factory fresh replacement shipped Next Day Air No Charge !!Especially, if it fails in the first year of operation. I was leaning toward this player, but I think this forum has saved me over $400. From what I am hearing, the Oppo 103 will sound not much if any better than the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 that is currently on Amazon for $79.99. It is backed by the positive reviews from 960 mostly very happy people. I just laid down $1100 fot a new Marantz AV7005 processor that I am tickled pink with. I don't mind paying for sonic benefits, but I can't see an extra $420 for what seems like would be a bunch of features I wouldn't use? Would the Oppo last long as half a dozen BPT 220's? We think NOT !! LOL
post #6562 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry to hear about your experiences with the Oppo 103. I am sure that cases like your's are exceptions rather than the rule, with a player of this quality. For $500 , you should be getting a factory fresh replacement shipped Next Day Air No Charge !!Especially, if it fails in the first year of operation. I was leaning toward this player, but I think this forum has saved me over $400. From what I am hearing, the Oppo 103 will sound not much if any better than the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 that is currently on Amazon for $79.99. It is backed by the positive reviews from 960 mostly very happy people. I just laid down $1100 fot a new Marantz AV7005 processor that I am tickled pink with. I don't mind paying for sonic benefits, but I can't see an extra $420 for what seems like would be a bunch of features I wouldn't use? Would the Oppo last long as half a dozen BPT 220's? We think NOT !! LOL

all blu ray have some issues from here and there. that is pretty much true from the samung to even the oppo. the best thing is that oppo is great about responding. the other companies seem to be too big for it and dont really care that much. if you have an issue then tough whatever.
the oppo will last a lot longer then the other brands for sure. while I did have an issue in the beginning. Its been working like a champ ever since.

Jacob
post #6563 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 06:43 PM

Liked: 11
I have a question with an issue I just started having on my 3 week old Oppo 103. Actually I am not sure if it’s with my Yamaha RX-A2020 or the Oppo. Randomly when I play a Blu-Ray disk it will not play the audio when the movie starts. It just started last night will Skyfall. The trailers, studio logos, and disk menu sounds all play fine. When the movie starts no audio. After about 45 minutes of switching different disks around I found that I could switch my Yamaha RX-A2020 to Directv and then back to the movie and the audio would work fine. Prior to last night I had played several DVD’s and Blu-Rays without this issue. I still have not been able to reproduce this on a DVD disk.. only on Blu-Rays. Tonight it just happens randomly depending on the disk I try. I have factory reset the Oppo, looked through all the settings I know to check on both the Oppo and Yamaha and have not figured out the source of the issue. I am using HDMI 1 and the cable that came with the Oppo going into HDMI 1 on the Yamaha. Any ideas? I looked though a lot of these posting.. found issues on lip sysnc, sharpness debates, etc.. but nothing like this issue.. course I did not look though all the postings. Thanks for the help.
post #6564 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post

Sorry, but I disagree. If you compare the players, it is not so. I know, this sounds weird, but I compared the Oppo 103 to my Denon 3800 BDCI and there is a difference in the sound. It should be bit-stream, i know but it is different.
Also, I see a difference in the PQ. Sorry to say that but digital is not digital as it seems and believe me because I know the theory and the details, I was very surprised myself.
However, I can only recommend you to test it yourself. Only seeing/hearing is believing.

I had both players connected to the same AV chain, just different inputs and played the same disk - same HDMI cable type, same set-up.

PS: There are many 'analog' parts involved and this explains it to me. If you would play from a computer disk, things are different. Then only the graphics chip would make the difference.

PS2: On my picture you can see the Oppo on the left and the Denon 3800 BDCI below.
Have to second pretty much your points. There is a difference, to me, in what my eyes are seeing on my 103 (and on my 83). I've been a professional news photographer for 37 years and have shot pretty much every type of film there ever was and my OPPOs have what I call the "Kodachrome" effect. A very rich, velvety PQ that is detailed and distinct but has a seamless quality to the image that your eye tends to linger on. With the Sony 550 I previously owned and the Panasonic 110 I got for free and still use in my bedroom, their PQ definitely leans more toward a digital photo look (I have been shooting with the Canon EOS Mark IV for the last two years) which seems more artificial and tends to look like a photo that is so finely focused that it appears overly processed or sharpened. Hard-edged may be a better description. Of course this is based on my work experience and how my eyes perceive the environment with or without the camera. I wanted to try and re-create that look in my HT and after viewing the 83 for the first time I was sold. Also, it's so strange how some owners have problems with their units and many don't. I have had zero problems with either of my OPPOs. I will always have OPPO in my home. Guess I'm what you would call a satisfied customer.

post #6565 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I had an 83 and 93 already, but went for the 103 for one big reason: two HDMI inputs for external sources, taking advantage of the Oppo's video processing and decoding-to-LPCM out over HDMI for audio..

This allowed me to feed my DVR through the 103, to get the NR and upconvert to 1080p to feed my Panny 65VT50 out HDMI-1 for HDTV as well as for BluRay movies. This was on the video side.

On the audio side, routing my DVR through the 103 also allows me to decode DD5.1 from HDTV as well as BluRay movies to LPCM out HDMI-2 directly to my Smyth Realiser's HDMI input (which only accepts decoded multi-channel LPCM input), for an all-digital path to my multi-channel headphone listening. This avoids my previous approach, which was HDMI audio to my AVR for decoding, and then discrete multi-channel analog preamp out to the discrete multi-channel analog input on the Realiser. That's one D-to-A conversion and then a second A-to-D conversion in the Realiser both bypassed, with a straight all-digital HDMI path from 103 directly to the Realiser's HMDI input... which works for both BluRay discs as well as now for HDTV. Love it.

Since no AVR can do this audio decoding to LPCM output over HDMI, finding a box like the 103 that CAN do it, and also supports cleanup/upconvert of 720p/1080i HDTV to 1080p output... I think the price is worth it to me.

Yes, it's a bit touchy to get past the HDMI handshake issues (but this is ALWAYS the case with more than two HDMI-enabled devices in a relay chain, as anybody with multi-device chains knows), but I don't mind. I do no network or Internet streaming, don't play anything but real BluRay shiny discs (so Cinavia is not a concern), and am totally satisfied. I'm sure Oppo will eventually solve the lip-sync issue with external HDMI input and audio+video going out HDMI1 (when HDMI2 is powered off), but until then I have an acceptable workaround (just press STOP on the DVR, wait, and then press PLAY to resume).
post #6566 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

True, if you are not planning to use what the OPPO has to offer, it's definitely not for you. I had two Panny 220s, they work as a simple BD/DVD player. Even at $110 when I grabbed them they were a bargain for a decent shiney disk player. However, if you remotely want to use them to access movie, music and photo via attached or LAN (NAS), don't bother. Very antiquated and useless for my needs there. They we also very finicky with longer HDMI runs and or switches. Returned them both. They were actually in addition to my OPPOs yet the 103 actually allowed me to alleviate a second box within my main room cabinet.

As they say we all have our priorities and justifications. Many times the actual dollar amount isn't the deciding factor. My first OPPO and service experience started back in 2005/6. I've been a return customer since.

Cheers

Love DIY
post #6567 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsamples View Post

I have a question with an issue I just started having on my 3 week old Oppo 103. Actually I am not sure if it’s with my Yamaha RX-A2020 or the Oppo. Randomly when I play a Blu-Ray disk it will not play the audio when the movie starts. It just started last night will Skyfall. The trailers, studio logos, and disk menu sounds all play fine. When the movie starts no audio. After about 45 minutes of switching different disks around I found that I could switch my Yamaha RX-A2020 to Directv and then back to the movie and the audio would work fine. Prior to last night I had played several DVD’s and Blu-Rays without this issue. I still have not been able to reproduce this on a DVD disk.. only on Blu-Rays. Tonight it just happens randomly depending on the disk I try. I have factory reset the Oppo, looked through all the settings I know to check on both the Oppo and Yamaha and have not figured out the source of the issue. I am using HDMI 1 and the cable that came with the Oppo going into HDMI 1 on the Yamaha. Any ideas? I looked though a lot of these posting.. found issues on lip sysnc, sharpness debates, etc.. but nothing like this issue.. course I did not look though all the postings. Thanks for the help.

It has been reported before (search the thread for 3020 or 2020). Oppo have a fix but it's not yet in the official firmware. For now I think you can use HDMI 2 from the Oppo as that doesn't cause the problem. Or decode in the player instead of sending a bitstream.
post #6568 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I do like the idea of the two HDMI imputs from the oppo 103. do you find it better to go through that or with a receiver? I own an onkyo receiver that has an overscanning problem. idont know if I should upgrade the receiver to the 616 or just get an oppo 103?

Jacob
post #6569 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

Have to second pretty much your points. There is a difference, to me, in what my eyes are seeing on my 103 (and on my 83). I've been a professional news photographer for 37 years and have shot pretty much every type of film there ever was and my OPPOs have what I call the "Kodachrome" effect. A very rich, velvety PQ that is detailed and distinct but has a seamless quality to the image that your eye tends to linger on. With the Sony 550 I previously owned and the Panasonic 110 I got for free and still use in my bedroom, their PQ definitely leans more toward a digital photo look (I have been shooting with the Canon EOS Mark IV for the last two years) which seems more artificial and tends to look like a photo that is so finely focused that it appears overly processed or sharpened. Hard-edged may be a better description. Of course this is based on my work experience and how my eyes perceive the environment with or without the camera. I wanted to try and re-create that look in my HT and after viewing the 83 for the first time I was sold. Also, it's so strange how some owners have problems with their units and many don't. I have had zero problems with either of my OPPOs. I will always have OPPO in my home. Guess I'm what you would call a satisfied customer.

I fully understand what you are writing. I am also into DSLR photography and I am sometimes shocked by the differences. Please do not misunderstand, what I was writing. I just wanted to mention that there are differences, if you compare two players.
I am also a happy customer of Oppo and wrote some posts ago, that I will definitely keep the Oppo, even it has some small drawbacks compared to the Denon. But it also has many advantages compared to the 'old' Denon. For me the HDMI 1 output is par with the Denon, nothing to complain here. Except the difference in the sound. That's why I keep both.
post #6570 of 19095 Old 03-13-2013, 09:17 PM

I'm returning the 103 (Amazon) and ordered a replacement that should arrive on Friday. Oppo suggested I do this but warned me the problem could still be there...
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page