Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 224 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-17-2013, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi guys, question about 24p. Lately I listened to a couple of music concert DVDs and was disapointed with the fluidity and some combing (if the term is correct) of the image at times. I looked at the info of the stream on my Sony TV and it said 1080p 24p. Since I think that 24p should be for film not video of a concert I decided to turn it off in the Oppo. Finally everything was perfectly smooth cadence wise. I tried afterward to set it on automatic expecting the Oppo to detect the content and act accordingly, but it reverted back to 24p and it became jerky again. Should 24p be off and turned on when needed? Or maybe the reverse, leave it on and if it seems to be affecting fluidity in some cases turn it off? Is it more often right than wrong? I just expected at least auto to know and decide for me when 24p was a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 07:24 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboileau View Post

Hi guys, question about 24p. Lately I listened to a couple of music concert DVDs and was disapointed with the fluidity and some combing (if the term is correct) of the image at times. I looked at the info of the stream on my Sony TV and it said 1080p 24p. Since I think that 24p should be for film not video of a concert I decided to turn it off in the Oppo. Finally everything was perfectly smooth cadence wise. I tried afterward to set it on automatic expecting the Oppo to detect the content and act accordingly, but it reverted back to 24p and it became jerky again. Should 24p be off and turned on when needed? Or maybe the reverse, leave it on and if it seems to be affecting fluidity in some cases turn it off? Is it more often right than wrong? I just expected at least auto to know and decide for me when 24p was a good idea.

AUTO for 1080p24 just detects whether your display can accept 24hz. It does not enable or disable 24hz processing for DVD. You have to do that manually depending on the source.

OPPO tried automatic cadence detection on the BDP-83 and it caused a lot of problems.

The BDP-93 FAQ has more background: Is DVD 24hz conversion supported?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks Bill for the info it clears things up. I never thought of also looking in the 93 FAQ. Great read.

Is there a way to determine before hand if a DVD should be played at 24hz (and not 24p rolleyes.gif) ? Are all movies to be played at 24hz and other content not? Is there any labelling on DVDs to that effect? Or is it simply trial and error?
Old 03-17-2013, 07:47 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboileau View Post

Thanks Bill for the info it clears things up. I never thought of also looking in the 93 FAQ. Great read.

Is there a way to determine before hand if a DVD should be played at 24hz (and not 24p rolleyes.gif) ? Are all movies to be played at 24hz and other content not? Is there any labelling on DVDs to that effect? Or is it simply trial and error?

No, DVDs aren't marked. Trial and error is the easiest way. Unless concert videos are your life, leaving it on is the easiest course. Turn it off as a special case and try to remember to turn it back on again.

Some older TV shows may be video-based; I CLAUDIUS comes to mind. But others were 35mm and are lovely on DVD and Blu-ray.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Old 03-17-2013, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I remember that disc being very poor. The Warner Eastwood DVDs tended to be bottom of the barrel.

That said: you are using 1080p output, not Source Direct? Done any calibration of the display?

-Bill

Yes to 1080p. No to calibration but used prep slides + D-nice settings on 65VT50.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

In addition to what vinnie97 wrote, you have to insure that the volume produced by both players is measurably identical, or they will sound different. Usually the higher volume will sound better.
I left out this good advice, but a decibel meter is definitely a wise tool to use.

Yes, it can be time-consuming, but its results are more broadly reliable thanks to ensured objectivity.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Any news on the firmware update?

Three/four weeks ago, I had a mail from Oppo saying that they were working on a new beta firmware release that would be coming out in a couple of weeks. But the couple of weeks is past, and still no news yet. Does anyone have insider info when we can expect it?
lanping09 likes this.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:19 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

Three/four weeks ago, I had a mail from Oppo saying that they were working on a new beta firmware release that would be coming out in a couple of weeks. But the couple of weeks is past, and still no news yet. Does anyone have insider info when we can expect it?

Anyone who knew would not be able to talk about it. Beta testers have signed non-disclosure agreements.

If you can get info out of OPPO you are free to post it.

-Bill

Old 03-18-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 503
I had an odd issue with my 103 this morning. I was playing a SACD and decided to shutoff my display after using it to make a few menu changes. I paused the SACD which was on track 4 then was going to hit play once the display was off. Well as usual the SACD starting playing on its own once the display was off. The odd part was the display on the 103 then showed track 1 (but was still playing track 4) and I could not pause or change tracks with the remote. The Pure Audio button worked but no other disc function keys would not work. I powered off the 103 with the front panel power button and then when powered back on it worked fine. It is interesting how components like the 103 and many others I'm sure can all the sudden have issues like this. No big deal as all is good but just thought I would post this odd happening.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
(Apologies if this has been discussed before... as usual, these thread get to encyclopedic proportions pretty quickly...)

I am a huge fan of 60's and 70's Italian movies, so I am constantly purchasing DVD's from Amazon.it. I probably have at least 200 PAL R2 DVD's. Up until now, my beloved and trusty old Oppo 980H (still working like a champ... and in many ways my all-time preferred DVD spinner due to its swift and precise operation) was the player of choice for such discs, while an Oppo 95 would take care of normal NTSC DVD's and Blu ray discs, SACD's, etc. Some recent Region "B" BD's caught my eye as well, but up until now I was unable to play them. For that reason, I just purchased a region-free, zone-free, modified Oppo 103 to replace the 980H. I have been using it for a few days, and it all seems to work great (love how speedy this unit is compared to the 95).

I'm curious, though. My question for those who do modifications and/or have first-hand experience with modified, region-free players: do these mods affect picture quality/reproduction in ANY shape or form?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Medaglia View Post

I'm curious, though. My question for those who do modifications and/or have first-hand experience with modified, region-free players: do these mods affect picture quality/reproduction in ANY shape or form?

No.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:16 AM

Expecting my 103 to be delivered tomorrow and have one question on the audio connection. HDMI vs Analog? I currently have an eight year old Denon 2200 handling my SACD/DVD-A playback connected with good analog cables and have always been pleased with the result. In reading as much of this thread as I could, for SACD's with the 103, many say just use HDMI for the connection. So the question, Is sound quality as good for HDMI as opposed to analog for SACD's specifically? I assume I could connect both and test for myself and use my reciver to switch audio inputs.

Other than that, I'm really excited. Also replacing a six year old blu ray player (Sony bdp-350). Made space in the cabinet yesterday and the UPS guy can't get here soon enough.

Thanks guys! Appreciate any opinions on this.

Todd
Old 03-18-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Boy View Post

Expecting my 103 to be delivered tomorrow and have one question on the audio connection. HDMI vs Analog? I currently have an eight year old Denon 2200 handling my SACD/DVD-A playback connected with good analog cables and have always been pleased with the result. In reading as much of this thread as I could, for SACD's with the 103, many just say just use HDMI for the connection. So the question, Is sound quality as good for HDMI as opposed to analog for SACD's specifically? I assume I could connect both and test for myself and use my reciver to switch audio inputs.

Other than that, I'm really excited. Also replacing a six year old blu ray player (Sony bdp-350). Made space in the cabinet yesterday and the UPS guy can't get here soon enough.

Thanks guys! Appreciate any opinions on this.

Todd

I would try both. The 103 is supposed to equal the BDP-83SE in analog quality, so it should be excellent.

I like SACD/DVD-A music, and use HDMI with my Pioneer Elite VSX-33 receiver. I have compared it to analog with my BDP-83 and found it to be equally good in that configuration. The SE upgrade maybe would have changed my mind, so it's better to compare.

If you're pleased with the 2200 analog, though you may prefer the analog connection.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:16 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Nothing yet
Quote:

Nothing yet, I was told the same thing last Friday frown.gif I guess they want to make sure it works well!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:55 AM

I've got a BDP-103 and have a question about the Netflix streaming through the 103.

My internet provider is a member of Netflix open connect--so I have access to "Super HD" content.

When I stream a super HD program, the quality setting lists as being "X-High HD." I understand that this is the outdated descriptor. Netflix says my player is not compatible with Super HD, and this is why I am getting this descriptor and why I am not able to stream in super HD. Oppo says my player is compatible and it is in fact displaying Super HD content--even though the descriptor says "X-High HD."

Has anyone using the 103 been able to verify "Super HD" content and have it displayed with the "Super HD" indicator? I trust the info Oppo gives me more than Netflix, but the inconsistent information is odd to say the least...

Old 03-18-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by videopotus View Post

I've got a BDP-103 and have a question about the Netflix streaming through the 103.

My internet provider is a member of Netflix open connect--so I have access to "Super HD" content.

When I stream a super HD program, the quality setting lists as being "X-High HD." I understand that this is the outdated descriptor. Netflix says my player is not compatible with Super HD, and this is why I am getting this descriptor and why I am not able to stream in super HD. Oppo says my player is compatible and it is in fact displaying Super HD content--even though the descriptor says "X-High HD."

Has anyone using the 103 been able to verify "Super HD" content and have it displayed with the "Super HD" indicator? I trust the info Oppo gives me more than Netflix, but the inconsistent information is odd to say the least...

With the Netflix app as it exists in the Oppo, the old descriptors are coded into the app. Since you can no longer get "X-High HD" bit rates without the new Super HD content being played, that's your answer. The app is reading the bit rate and calling it "X-High HD". Without the Super HD service the best you can get is "High HD".
videopotus likes this.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Here is an answer I received from Michael Scott in the Panny BDT-220 forum. My question was how do I know if my incoming signal is 1080p (Super HD):

"Sadly for the most part there isn't any way to know. Most HD Netflix titles have 1080p encodes, but there's no way to know whether you're getting them or not (except for one "title", the clip "Example Short 23.976", which has an overlay with bit-rate/resolution information printed on each of its component video encodes. Netflix uses a technology called adaptive bit rate streaming; every title has several video encodes at various bit rates (the higher the bit rate the better the picture quality) and the player dynamically and smoothly switches between them as its ability to keep its buffer full of content at a particular bit rate fluctuates. Some Netflix players have an indicator of the current encode in use but these Panasonics do not.

VUDU is the only player on these BDPs that I can think of in which you can tell for sure what resolution you're seeing. For one thing you choose which resolution you want when you play a title (given that the title's not SD only). You can also see it in the player's control interface, which displays what you're getting (SD, 720p HD or 1080p HDX) and what quality level in that resolution you're getting with a little 1-to-3 bar signal-quality-style histogram.

That video quality control in the Hulu Plus interface tells you what you're currently getting: 3.2 Mpbs or 2 Mbps HD or one of a couple of SD bit rates but I don't know what resolution those HD levels are at. It could well be that 3.2 Mbps HD is 1080p and 2 Mbps is 720p but I really think that they're both 720p."
videopotus likes this.

Panny 65VT50 / DTV Genie / OPPO 103 / Roku 3 / Denon 1613 / Klipsch Quintet 5.0
Old 03-18-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Would not setting the Oppo to 'source direct' give you an indication of whether the source is 480i, 720p, 1080i or 1080p?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 03-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Nope, it still only gives the Netflix terminology "High / HD" "X-High / HD" etc.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi all, If anyone here owns a copy of "Before the Devil Knows Your Dead" on blu-ray could you let me know if it plays on your BDP-103. My mint copy doesn't, while it does play on my Denon. I spoke to tech support and they want me to send them the disc so they can see if it's just my machine or if a software update is necessary, which I will do. However I'm just curios if anyone else can check on there end.

Thanks in advance
Joe
Old 03-18-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Deaf View Post

Nope, it still only gives the Netflix terminology "High / HD" "X-High / HD" etc.
But what does your display device say?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 03-18-2013, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

It say 1080p, but it says that even when the stream is at "Low / SD" at the beginning. I would think that it would change as the resolution changes.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 58
To finalize this sound issue now, I have tested again today and also switched the HDMI out. Now it's the same - well nearly. At least the difference in the bass is gone.
I don't know where this came from the first time. There was no change not in the system or the room or anything.
Odd but can happen. I also couldn't identify any difference in the sound between HDMI 1 and 2.

My old Denon 3800 still sounds a bit better than the Oppo, but the Denon can't do specific things and Oppo is definitely fast, has a very nice menu, many features and has sound and picture very close to a 2000 US$ unit. Oppo offers a really very good price - quality relation. I am happy that this sound issue was only a 'ghost'.

Thank you for your comments and help.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
[[/I][/I][/I]
Quote:

JRiver is pretty slow in discovering UPNP devices, but they did improve things in more recent versions (do you have v18 or v17?).

( also keep in mind that if your router or wifi access point is set to block or filter multicasts or unicasts, this may hamper the discovery process too... )

You can check independantly if the issue is Oppo, JRiver, or a problem on your PC or home network, by using the Intel Test Tools Device Spy application ( http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2011/02/04/developer-tools-for-upnp-update ).

I got an email back from Oppo regarding this issue. See below:

"This is a known issue between JRiver and OPPO BDP-10X series of players, and we are working with our engineers to resolve this error through a future firmware release.

The main cause of this error is that the DMR (player) and DMC (JRiver) responses are not being communicated properly, and the player may take up to 30 minutes (depending on the network activity) to resend a response to the server that it is still available to receive data.

The temporary solution is to force the BDP-103 to send a response message, e.g., toggling the " Setup Menu -> Network Setup -> My Network" between ON/OFF once, or hot-plug the player's Ethernet cable once, will make the player visible by JRiver and other DMC devices.

The ultimate solution will come in a future firmware release when we look into adding automatic and shorter response messages to the DMC so the DMC never sees it as going offline or timing out.

Best Regards,

Customer Service"
Old 03-18-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumSV View Post

Hi all, If anyone here owns a copy of "Before the Devil Knows Your Dead" on blu-ray could you let me know if it plays on your BDP-103. My mint copy doesn't, while it does play on my Denon. I spoke to tech support and they want me to send them the disc so they can see if it's just my machine or if a software update is necessary, which I will do. However I'm just curios if anyone else can check on there end.

Thanks in advance
Joe

I have this title and I just watched a little over an hour of it on my 103 and it played without any problems.
Sorry I can't help you solve your problem.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

I would try both. The 103 is supposed to equal the BDP-83SE in analog quality, so it should be excellent.

I like SACD/DVD-A music, and use HDMI with my Pioneer Elite VSX-33 receiver. I have compared it to analog with my BDP-83 and found it to be equally good in that configuration. The SE upgrade maybe would have changed my mind, so it's better to compare.

If you're pleased with the 2200 analog, though you may prefer the analog connection.

Thanks Hernanu -

My plan is to hook up the Oppo with HDMI to start and compare that to the Denon with analog. Since many here have been raving about the sound produced by the 103, it's something I'm most looking forward to hearing for myself. I listened to several discs today across a broad spectrum of different types of music, and from what everyone is saying, I should hear a decent difference between the two. That said, the Denon sounds very good to me, with fantastic separation. If the Oppo sounds better, I'll be thrilled! If this is the case, I'll probably stick with HDMI, but will then move the analog cables over to the Oppo and make the direct comparison. Seems like I might be making a (small) mountain out of a mole hill between the two, but I guess I'm "old-school" when it comes to SACD's LOL and back in '04 the only way to go was analog for these hi-rez discs. Most importantly, I'm still very happy with the sound and that's what's causing me a slight pause in moving the connection to HDMI.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Nothing yet
Quote:

Nothing yet, I was told the same thing last Friday frown.gif I guess they want to make sure it works well!

Good cooking takes time.

The Reverend William Archibald Spooner: "Which of us has not felt, in his heart, a half-warmed fish?"
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 03-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I had an odd issue with my 103 this morning. I was playing a SACD and decided to shutoff my display after using it to make a few menu changes. I paused the SACD which was on track 4 then was going to hit play once the display was off. Well as usual the SACD starting playing on its own once the display was off. The odd part was the display on the 103 then showed track 1 (but was still playing track 4) and I could not pause or change tracks with the remote. The Pure Audio button worked but no other disc function keys would not work. I powered off the 103 with the front panel power button and then when powered back on it worked fine. It is interesting how components like the 103 and many others I'm sure can all the sudden have issues like this. No big deal as all is good but just thought I would post this odd happening.

Bill

There is an issue that I still think is live in the current, "official" firmware which can confuse SACD playback if an HDMI handshake happens during playback (such as by turning off your display). Typically, if this bug gets triggered, the playback will restart at track 1. More rarely, the player will crash. Yours seems to be an odd variant of this. OPPO Engineering is on the case, and it wouldn't surprise me if a fix is in the next firmware.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 03-18-2013, 06:44 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmanscott View Post

Get a roku stick for an almost unlimited number of streaming options.

http://www.oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RokuSSB
Is this as good as the ROKU 3? 

The ROKU 3 is newer and has more processor power. The main plus for the Roku Streaming Stick is that it is operated using the regular OPPO remote -- one less remote to futz with. And it's cheaper if you buy the "OEM bundle" version direct from OPPO, partly because the Roku-provided remote is not included, and partly because OPPO cut a deal.
--Bob

Old 03-18-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

There is an issue that I still think is live in the current, "official" firmware which can confuse SACD playback if an HDMI handshake happens during playback (such as by turning off your display). Typically, if this bug gets triggered, the playback will restart at track 1. More rarely, the player will crash. Yours seems to be an odd variant of this. OPPO Engineering is on the case, and it wouldn't surprise me if a fix is in the next firmware.
--Bob

Bob,

As always thanks for your response smile.gif. It is funny as I have done the same steps as I did today numerous times and this is the first time it happened. I'm not worried in the least as it isn't that big of a deal. I'm sure Oppo will correct this minor issue in the near future.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc