Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Hancock View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

If I understand correctly, you are hearing the problem on the Analog outputs only -- not when you try HDMI output.

Start by confirming that DTS Neo:6 Mode is OFF.

Then try this: Set HDMI Audio OFF. Does the pop on Analog go away? If so, re-enable HDMI Audio but be sure to use either LPCM or Bitstream -- not Auto. Also, set SACD Output PCM. These settings simplify what the device at the other end of the cable has to do when a new audio stream starts up. Is the pop on Analog still gone?

As a last check, *TEMPORARILY* disconnect the HDMI output cables from the OPPO (both of them if you are using both). Does the pop on Analog go away? If *NOT* then you know what's going on is not related to HDMI. The most likely scenario is that there is a DC voltage bias or some other form of interference on your Analog outputs which is what's causing the transient as the signal comes out of mute.
--Bob

Bob, thanks very much. We've tried everything you've suggested--including disconnecting the HDMI output. The ONLY time we hear it is using analog cables. Not sure what DC voltage bias means--do we have a defective unit?

I'm a bit frustrated because we had an earlier issue with a "noise floor" in the 103--we had to turn our speaker volume down by about 10 or 12 db to get rid of the electronic humming. We compared this to our Denon DVD-3910, cranking it up to maximum volume and it was dead quiet.

The picture quality is great and the sound quality is great--particularly on standard definition CDs. If we could lose the little pop we'd be very happy campers (although I still find that noise floor issue unsatisfactory). If our six-year-old 3910 doesn't have it why should the Oppo?

Sorry for the slow response -- some networking issues here. It sounds to me like you have external interference present on your chassis grounds. This is most commonly "ground loop" interference, which is garbage current that hops between your pieces of equipment along the shields of the cables connecting them, looking for a path back to ground so that current can flow. Your "hum" with the 103 would be a typical symptom of that. This garbage current can traverse devices even if they are powered off. Exactly what SYMPTOMS it produces depend on the pieces of equipment you have turned on and the path the current is using to get back to ground. It is quite common for the 3rd prong in a 3-prong power plug to be the path back to ground. Both the 103 and 105 have 3-prong plugs. Your older equipment may not. My guess at this point is that you have ground loop interference that is passing between your amps and the 105. It may have caused the hum you had with the 103, and it may be causing the pop you are hearing now due to "volume" being present when you come out of mute between tracks (even though the content itself is silent) -- that's what I meant by DC bias.

The trick to fixing ground loop interference is finding the source of the garbage current.

These days there are two common ways for this to happen (and other less-common ways). The single most common source of such garbage is stuff coming into your house on the cable shield of a cable or satellite TV feed wire. This can cause problems even when you are not viewing that TV feed. The check for this is simple: Temporarily disconnect the feed wire where it comes out of the wall. If that cures your noise then there are things you can do to fix it, starting with correcting the grounding of that feed where it ENTERS your house.

The second most common source arises if you are using more than one wall socket to power your set of equipment and if they are not all on the same circuit breaker. To check that disconnect everything from power except the OPPO and the amp, and temporarily plug the OPPO and the amp into the same wall socket -- directly, i.e., not through some sort of power conditioner. If the noise goes away, then try plugging the OPPO and the amp in "normally". If the noise is still gone, connect the rest of you gear to power (you can leave them turned off) one at a time checking for when the problem comes back.

if you have more than one circuit breaker feeding wall sockets in your listening room there's an easy way for this problem to happen. The power feed into your house is "3 phase power", which, simplified, means there are two different ways each circuit breaker can be connected to that power feed. Circuit breakers connected the opposite ways may easily have different "ground potential", which means if you've got two pieces of gear plugged into each of them, the gear will be operating at different ground potential. In typical circuit breaker boxes, breakers installed one above the other are connected to the opposite rails of the power feed -- and thus the problem. The fix, if this is the problem, is to have the electrician move the breakers feeding your theater so they are all on the same rail in that breaker box.

A less common problem is that some piece of gear in your set has a fault and is incorrectly presenting voltage on its chassis ground. This is not a good thing. Figuring out WHICH device might be doing that is tricky, as you have to connect different combos of gear in a logical fashion to figure out which device might be the culprit.
--Bob
htwaits likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6722 of 18473 Old 03-19-2013, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by calpon View Post

The ultimate solution will come in a future firmware release when we look into adding automatic and shorter response messages to the DMC so the DMC never sees it as going offline or timing out.

Hmmm. I don't want to be rude, but it sounds like he does not really know what he is talking about ;-)

He seems to be saying that the player is properly responding to UPNP SSDP M-SEARCH discovery messages, but not sending SSDP NOTIFY "alive" messages (either not within its Cache-Control:max-age period, or just not frequently enough, or even perhaps not at all). This is a beginners level error...

Oppo needs to get themselves a copy of the UPnP Device Certification Test tool, which would have picked up such an elementary failure immediately (the SSDP discovery tests are the first ones to be run in the whole test suite). This tool is available to members of the UPnP implementers forum (www.upnp.org), but it seems that Oppo is not a member of that forum, so perhaps they are not completely committed to the technology (??)

EDIT: I write UPnP software myself, so I know intimately how an implementation of this standard should work, and I would be delighted to work with the Oppo guys to help them fix this player. So please PM me if you want to put me in contact with them directly...
post #6723 of 18473 Old 03-19-2013, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
O.K. sorry if this has been asked before, but I am having trouble getting "super disc" to work on my 103. After burning to a cdr, It wants to play in the Oppo as a data disc and I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. Is there detailed instructions somewhere? I have some region 2 disc's I would like to watch,but I can't buy a mod kit right now.any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #6724 of 18473 Old 03-19-2013, 05:06 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc1992 View Post

O.K. sorry if this has been asked before, but I am having trouble getting "super disc" to work on my 103. After burning to a cdr, It wants to play in the Oppo as a data disc and I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. Is there detailed instructions somewhere? I have some region 2 disc's I would like to watch,but I can't buy a mod kit right now.any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to AVSForum.

The download is an ISO file, meaning it is a disc image. You have to burn it to the disc as such, not as a data file. This is a special option in most burning software.

What software are you using?

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #6725 of 18473 Old 03-19-2013, 07:10 AM

I am using imageburn. I have it unzipped as a folder, and burn it as such, but when I place it in the Oppo, it reads it as a data disc. Thank you, by the way! smile.gif
post #6726 of 18473 Old 03-19-2013, 07:21 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc1992 View Post

I am using imageburn. I have it unzipped as a folder, and burn it as such, but when I place it in the Oppo, it reads it as a data disc. Thank you, by the way! smile.gif

Don't unzip it. Leave the ISO file as is.

"In ImgBurn, go to 'Write image file to disc' and select the ISO image you downloaded."

That's OPPO's instructions for burning their own firmware to disc, but it the same procedure for any ISO file.

Must be CD-R for Superdisc, not a DVD.

-Bill
lanping09 likes this.

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #6727 of 18473 Old 03-19-2013, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erray View Post

I have this title and I just watched a little over an hour of it on my 103 and it played without ant problems.
Sorry I can't help you solve your problem.

Thank you for the response.

Joe
post #6728 of 18473 Old 03-19-2013, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 26
AndrewFG
Quote:
He seems to be saying that the player is properly responding to UPNP SSDP M-SEARCH discovery messages, but not sending SSDP NOTIFY "alive" messages (either not within its Cache-Control:max-age period, or just not frequently enough, or even perhaps not at all). This is a beginners level error...

Could this be the reason why both my OPPO's dont show up in my network streaming options in Windows 7? Discovery is on and all my other devices always show up. The OPPO's only show up as unknown devices. Sorry if I mis quoted.
Dave
post #6729 of 18473 Old 03-19-2013, 07:58 AM

I feel really dumb right now! I got it, thank you so much for the help. It worked!
post #6730 of 18473 Old 03-19-2013, 09:01 AM

How does one clean the Oppo? Inside...any recommended commercial brand? Thanks
post #6731 of 18473 Old 03-19-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Sorry for the slow response -- some networking issues here. It sounds to me like you have external interference present on your chassis grounds. This is most commonly "ground loop" interference, which is garbage current that hops between your pieces of equipment along the shields of the cables connecting them, looking for a path back to ground so that current can flow. Your "hum" with the 103 would be a typical symptom of that. This garbage current can traverse devices even if they are powered off. Exactly what SYMPTOMS it produces depend on the pieces of equipment you have turned on and the path the current is using to get back to ground. It is quite common for the 3rd prong in a 3-prong power plug to be the path back to ground. Both the 103 and 105 have 3-prong plugs. Your older equipment may not. My guess at this point is that you have ground loop interference that is passing between your amps and the 105. It may have caused the hum you had with the 103, and it may be causing the pop you are hearing now due to "volume" being present when you come out of mute between tracks (even though the content itself is silent) -- that's what I meant by DC bias.

The trick to fixing ground loop interference is finding the source of the garbage current.

These days there are two common ways for this to happen (and other less-common ways). The single most common source of such garbage is stuff coming into your house on the cable shield of a cable or satellite TV feed wire. This can cause problems even when you are not viewing that TV feed. The check for this is simple: Temporarily disconnect the feed wire where it comes out of the wall. If that cures your noise then there are things you can do to fix it, starting with correcting the grounding of that feed where it ENTERS your house.

The second most common source arises if you are using more than one wall socket to power your set of equipment and if they are not all on the same circuit breaker. To check that disconnect everything from power except the OPPO and the amp, and temporarily plug the OPPO and the amp into the same wall socket -- directly, i.e., not through some sort of power conditioner. If the noise goes away, then try plugging the OPPO and the amp in "normally". If the noise is still gone, connect the rest of you gear to power (you can leave them turned off) one at a time checking for when the problem comes back.

if you have more than one circuit breaker feeding wall sockets in your listening room there's an easy way for this problem to happen. The power feed into your house is "3 phase power", which, simplified, means there are two different ways each circuit breaker can be connected to that power feed. Circuit breakers connected the opposite ways may easily have different "ground potential", which means if you've got two pieces of gear plugged into each of them, the gear will be operating at different ground potential. In typical circuit breaker boxes, breakers installed one above the other are connected to the opposite rails of the power feed -- and thus the problem. The fix, if this is the problem, is to have the electrician move the breakers feeding your theater so they are all on the same rail in that breaker box.

A less common problem is that some piece of gear in your set has a fault and is incorrectly presenting voltage on its chassis ground. This is not a good thing. Figuring out WHICH device might be doing that is tricky, as you have to connect different combos of gear in a logical fashion to figure out which device might be the culprit.
--Bob

Just got this Bob, thanks, and I'll run these tests--but an essential question remains: why is my Denon DVD-3910, 7.1 analogs to the same receiver, dead quiet at maximum, speaker-blowing volume and has no "pops" whatsoever? I asked Oppo this and they correctly guessed that I wasn't using my HDMI on the 3910. They seem to believe all of this is due to a handshake issue with the HDMI.
post #6732 of 18473 Old 03-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Yes, that would be a natural reaction for these symptoms. HOWEVER, you just reported that the problem STILL exists even with ALL HDMI cables disconnected from the OPPO, right?

This is a critical question. We have to be clear on the answer. No HDMI cables connected to the OPPO -- not Inputs, not Outputs -- none. But the problem still exists on the Analog audio outs, right? If so, it can't be HDMI related.

Does your prior Denon player have a 3-prong power plug?
--Bob

post #6733 of 18473 Old 03-19-2013, 12:56 PM

I have an issue with my 103 that Oppo says has not been presented to them before now. I'm using 5.1 analog outs to a receiver, and then pre-out to amps. What I have discovered is that after playing something for over an hour (this has happened with blu-ray and Pandora), and I then pause the machine for 10-15 minutes (ice cream break!), the audio gets shot to hell upon restart. It will have devolved to a very faint tinny sound with huge amounts of static. If I wait long enough, the audio comes back. Sometimes it takes minutes. This has happened with different pre-amps and different amps. It almost sounds like an overheating issue. But my player sits alone on an open shelf in a 65-68 degree basement. For some reason, it took Opps 2 weeks and many e-mails before they would believe I had an issue. I finally got an RMA out of them, so the player goes back on Monday. Has anyone run into any similar audio issues?

post #6734 of 18473 Old 03-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ First I've heard of anything like that. At a guess the player is having trouble coming out of Mute when you start it Playing again. That would be a very unusual sort of failure.
--Bob

post #6735 of 18473 Old 03-19-2013, 03:15 PM

Liked: 12
I've just received a reply from Oppo >>>

"The ability to completely disable or reduce the amount of Noise Reduction used by defaults is something that we are considering, but there are no guarantees that we will make any changes to the picture quality through additional firmware releases."
post #6736 of 18473 Old 03-19-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCS View Post

I have an issue with my 103 that Oppo says has not been presented to them before now. I'm using 5.1 analog outs to a receiver, and then pre-out to amps. What I have discovered is that after playing something for over an hour (this has happened with blu-ray and Pandora), and I then pause the machine for 10-15 minutes (ice cream break!), the audio gets shot to hell upon restart. It will have devolved to a very faint tinny sound with huge amounts of static. If I wait long enough, the audio comes back. Sometimes it takes minutes. This has happened with different pre-amps and different amps. It almost sounds like an overheating issue. But my player sits alone on an open shelf in a 65-68 degree basement. For some reason, it took Opps 2 weeks and many e-mails before they would believe I had an issue. I finally got an RMA out of them, so the player goes back on Monday. Has anyone run into any similar audio issues?
At least you have an easy workaround. Just space out your ice cream breaks so that you're eating ice cream between feature films. wink.gif

Calibration Resources:

post #6737 of 18473 Old 03-19-2013, 04:40 PM

I am considering buying the Oppo103,but I have a Pioneer Elite plasma that can only show 1080I. I watch cable (Fios) and some netflix on an Apple TV. Would I see much benefit from this purchase or do I need 1080P or 3D?

Rondog
post #6738 of 18473 Old 03-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Get a good 1080p display first, you may not even need the Oppo.

Panny 65VT50 / DTV Genie / OPPO 103 / Roku 3 / Denon 1613 / Klipsch Quintet 5.0
post #6739 of 18473 Old 03-19-2013, 05:28 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

Hmmm. I don't want to be rude, but it sounds like he does not really know what he is talking about ;-)

Oppo needs to get themselves a copy of the UPnP Device Certification Test tool, which would have picked up such an elementary failure immediately (the SSDP discovery tests are the first ones to be run in the whole test suite). This tool is available to members of the UPnP implementers forum (www.upnp.org), but it seems that Oppo is not a member of that forum, so perhaps they are not completely committed to the technology (??)

EDIT: I write UPnP software myself, so I know intimately how an implementation of this standard should work, and I would be delighted to work with the Oppo guys to help them fix this player. So please PM me if you want to put me in contact with them directly...

This is the screenshot I sent to them:
post #6740 of 18473 Old 03-19-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

The most direct path is to call them and make a specific offer.

Calibration Resources:

post #6741 of 18473 Old 03-19-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehale View Post

AndrewFG
Quote:

Could this be the reason why both my OPPO's dont show up in my network streaming options in Windows 7? Discovery is on and all my other devices always show up. The OPPO's only show up as unknown devices. Sorry if I mis quoted.
Dave

It shows up on my Win 7 laptop after i re-installed windows. It was erratic at best before that...

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers:
post #6742 of 18473 Old 03-19-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

It shows up on my Win 7 laptop after i re-installed windows. It was erratic at best before that...
The old "clean reinstall" fix. How many times have I had to do that since Windows was first introduced. wink.gif

It probably wouldn't hurt if I did one now. eek.gif

Calibration Resources:

post #6743 of 18473 Old 03-19-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondog32837 View Post

I am considering buying the Oppo103,but I have a Pioneer Elite plasma that can only show 1080I. I watch cable (Fios) and some netflix on an Apple TV. Would I see much benefit from this purchase or do I need 1080P or 3D?
It sounds like a new 1080p TV might be better. wink.gif

If you enjoy 3D then that amounts to an extra at some additional cost for glasses, and Blu-ray movies. Your call.

Calibration Resources:

post #6744 of 18473 Old 03-19-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondog32837 View Post

The answer is the same for ANY question about buying an Oppo with concerns about picture or audio quality benefits. And that is that you should buy the Oppo for it's support for all disc formats and media files, networking capability, etc. None of that changes if you have an older display. If all you need is a BD/DVD player, get something cheaper.
post #6745 of 18473 Old 03-20-2013, 12:42 AM
Advanced Member

Well, a BD player won't help him much if he doesn't have a 1080p display. Get a 1080p TV first, then a BD player.

Panny 65VT50 / DTV Genie / OPPO 103 / Roku 3 / Denon 1613 / Klipsch Quintet 5.0
post #6746 of 18473 Old 03-20-2013, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Deaf View Post

Well, a BD player won't help him much if he doesn't have a 1080p display. Get a 1080p TV first, then a BD player.

+1
post #6747 of 18473 Old 03-20-2013, 03:54 AM

Hi there

I have just bought the new BDP-103 bluray player which replaces my 3 year old BDP-83 player. I never had any trouble with the BDP-83, but this new one have a seriously problem with synchronization of the audio and video.

The new player is connected to the exact same equipment and in the same way like the old payer was HDMI 1 to my JVC projector and coaxial out (bit stream) to my older surround amplifier. This works perfectly before, but now with the BDP-103 there is a terrible problem with lip synchronization.

The BDP-103 was already completely updated with the newest firmware when it was delivered to me one week ago.

I can’t find any options in the setup menu which can help me, such as sound delaying for example.

I hope for your feedback, with some solution about what to do, because this out of sync did not work for me.
post #6748 of 18473 Old 03-20-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Deaf View Post

I disagree. I used to have a 720p DLP, and BluRay discs absolutely looked better than SD DVDs on that display. BluRay will always look better than SD if you have an HD display, no matter what the native resolution. That being said, a 1080p display is even better.
post #6749 of 18473 Old 03-20-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehale View Post

Could this be the reason why both my OPPO's dont show up in my network streaming options in Windows 7? ... The OPPO's only show up as unknown devices.

Yes, that would indeed explain it.

Windows uses a variety of mechanisms to discover neighbouring devices in the local network, and one of those mechanisms is UPnP. If the players show up as unknown devices in Windows, it probably means that one of the other mechanisms was able to discover the player (as some entity on the network having an IP address), but that Windows was not successful in using the UPnP mechanism to find out more about said device (i.e. it could not use UPnP Discovery & Description processes to learn that the device is a Digital Media Renderer "DMR").

When the UPnP Discovery & Description processes are fully supported, then a player will appear as a DMR in Windows Networking, and also under the "Play To" context menu in Windows Media Player, and Windows Explorer.
post #6750 of 18473 Old 03-20-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:

This is the screenshot I sent to them:

Yup! The red lights explain it all. Confirming what I said in my prior post.

( As I said before, this is a pretty basic error that should never have gotten past their QC people... )
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Se50uy04 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page