Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 227 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 463Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6781 of 21148 Old 03-21-2013, 04:14 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,333
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

What is that UPnP!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upnp

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6782 of 21148 Old 03-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Senior Member
 
j2037's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Does anybody know how if the picture quality would improve coming from a PC (ATI) to an Oppo 103?

As far as I recall, the PC doesn't offer native support for video pass through.

How will the Marvell Qdeo affect the image coming through the HDMI input (not native)?
j2037 is offline  
post #6783 of 21148 Old 03-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Member
 
cdittmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Saskatoon, SK Canada
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post

My issues so far with the Bdp-103 (connected via Hdmi to my Yamaha Rx-A3020 receiver).i just installed the 3020 receiver. It replaced an Onkyo . Same symptoms with either receiver. Both the Oppo and the Yamaha have latest fw. Tv is Pioneer Kuro Elite.

1. I went to play Star Wars BR Phantom Menace. When the main menu appeared, there was no option to hit play ,select language,bonus features,etc. nothing! I ejected disc and tried again. It worked this time. Same thing happened the next day.

2. I have several BR discs so far (and likely many more) that no audio plays whether I am bitstreaming or sending PCM.
This even happened when I went to watch the VUDU trailer of The Hobbit yesterday.
Luckily, I have the Bdp-93 still. It does not have these issues.

I experience the same thing you do with Stars Wars. In fact I can replicate this on all of my BD's. For me the problem occurs when powering on the Oppo with any BD already in the tray. Once powered on the player automatically loads the disc but the BD menus do not appear. I have dealt with OPPO on this and they claim they cannot replicate the problem. There are several other users who have posted here with similar problems. Please contact OPPO as when I contacted them they claimed they have not heard from others about this problem.

To get around the problem I have found a few options which work:

1. Disabling Internet connectivity gets rid of the problem.
2. Have the Oppo start using Quick Start as opposed to Energy Efficient. This gets rid of the problem. I use this method as I like Quick Start anyways.
3. Instead of ejecting your disc, try hitting stop and restart the disc from the Oppo menu. This works as well.

Again, please contact OPPO as they do not believe this is a common problem but would also not admit that my player is defective. It definitely appears to be Java related. I'm hoping a future firmware release will fix this but am not holding my breath.
cdittmer is offline  
post #6784 of 21148 Old 03-21-2013, 10:49 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,507
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
^ Your symptoms are consistent with the player having trouble getting going on the network, and the pre-loaded Blu-ray disc getting stuck because it thinks the network should be live by now.

The reason Quick Start fixes it, is that Quick Start keeps the network connected across power cycles -- so no need to re-connect. The fact that it works when using Quick Start would appear to eliminate a BD-Java problem in loading the disc. It is more like a BD-Live problem (disc trying to phone home).

To check this, set Energy Efficient, power cycle, immediately go into Setup > Network Setup and repeatedly go into and out of Connection Info until you see it load with the connection numbers. Then also scroll up one and do a Connection Test to insure the network really is live.

See how long it takes for the player to retrieve the network connection numbers (the DHCP protocol), and how long it takes for the network to pass Connection Test after those numbers populate. Odds are you will find the network startup is going more slowly than the disc loading.

It would seem likely that the problem here is slow response from your Wifi base station as the player tries to connect.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #6785 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dsinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidetracked View Post

Well, wanting to hear what was going on with this issue (the question of HDMI 2 having problems with chroma and
luminance), I just got off the phone with Oppo.

The fellow who answered acknowledged they've had a number of reports and calls about it (not just the ones on AVS).
He said he wasn't sure what the latest was, so he put me on hold to speak to engineering.

After a couple of minutes, he returned and said he talked to a couple of the engineering guys.

The report was that they've looked at it, but aren't seeing any problem, and most likely anomalies are because people aren't using the right
color space for their display or device. Their conclusion for now is there is no inherent problem on any colorspace in terms of the Oppo.

Please don't shoot me - I'm only the messenger, and I am not personally vouching for the technical accuracy of what was reported to me. Nor
am I claiming this should be the last word on the subject. But it was certainly a different tone from a few weeks back, when they seemed to be
saying it looked likely something WAS going on.

I just want to share as precisely as I could what Oppo said to a direct inquiry. Whether it's the whole story is beyond me.

Thanks for contacting them. Back in January, I tried every possible combinations of color space and bit rate from the Oppo into the Radiance and to the Elite without the Radiance in the chain. Combined this with all possible color space/bit rate outputs from the Radiance and all picture mode settings in the Elite. All failed on HDMI 2 output. If this is Oppo's final position on the issue, guess I have to live with HDMI 1 Source Direct with noise reduction corrected in the Radiance. I will also update my post in the Lumagen Forum to provide further warning to Radiance owners thinking about buying a 103/105. Given that they, like me, buy Oppo products for the source direct output (among other reasons), I would guess that few will make a 103/105 purchase unless this and/or the noise reduction on HDMI 1 is fixed. Last time I looked my post had been viewed 430 times.
dsinger is offline  
post #6786 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 07:43 AM
Member
 
cdittmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Saskatoon, SK Canada
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Your symptoms are consistent with the player having trouble getting going on the network, and the pre-loaded Blu-ray disc getting stuck because it thinks the network should be live by now.

The reason Quick Start fixes it, is that Quick Start keeps the network connected across power cycles -- so no need to re-connect. The fact that it works when using Quick Start would appear to eliminate a BD-Java problem in loading the disc. It is more like a BD-Live problem (disc trying to phone home).

To check this, set Energy Efficient, power cycle, immediately go into Setup > Network Setup and repeatedly go into and out of Connection Info until you see it load with the connection numbers. Then also scroll up one and do a Connection Test to insure the network really is live.

See how long it takes for the player to retrieve the network connection numbers (the DHCP protocol), and how long it takes for the network to pass Connection Test after those numbers populate. Odds are you will find the network startup is going more slowly than the disc loading.

It would seem likely that the problem here is slow response from your Wifi base station as the player tries to connect.
--Bob

Bob, thank you so much for this post. After numerous e-mails with Oppo this is the first explanation that I have received that makes sense. I will perform the Connection Info "test" you outlined above. I assume I should perform this test with a disc in the player? I originally thought that my WiFi router may be the source of the problem. I have Internet connected via an Ethernet cable and experienced the problem whether I connected via Ethernet or via WiFi which would make sense if the router is the problem. Having said that I did direct connect my Oppo to my cable modem to bypass the router and still had the same problem. This makes me feel better that the problem is not with my Oppo but rather with my network setup.
cdittmer is offline  
post #6787 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 07:52 AM
Member
 
cdittmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Saskatoon, SK Canada
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Your symptoms are consistent with the player having trouble getting going on the network, and the pre-loaded Blu-ray disc getting stuck because it thinks the network should be live by now.

The reason Quick Start fixes it, is that Quick Start keeps the network connected across power cycles -- so no need to re-connect. The fact that it works when using Quick Start would appear to eliminate a BD-Java problem in loading the disc. It is more like a BD-Live problem (disc trying to phone home).

To check this, set Energy Efficient, power cycle, immediately go into Setup > Network Setup and repeatedly go into and out of Connection Info until you see it load with the connection numbers. Then also scroll up one and do a Connection Test to insure the network really is live.

See how long it takes for the player to retrieve the network connection numbers (the DHCP protocol), and how long it takes for the network to pass Connection Test after those numbers populate. Odds are you will find the network startup is going more slowly than the disc loading.

It would seem likely that the problem here is slow response from your Wifi base station as the player tries to connect.
--Bob

Thanks Bob. This is the first time I have received an answer that makes sense and would explain why Oppo was unable to replicate the problem. I will perform the tests as you suggest and see what happens. I suspected my WiFi router may be part of the problem so directly connected my Oppo to my cable modem via Ethernet and still had the same problem which I was why I thought it was something else. At least it appears that my Oppo may not be defective. Thanks again!
cdittmer is offline  
post #6788 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Member
 
Sidetracked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

Thanks for contacting them. Back in January, I tried every possible combinations of color space and bit rate from the Oppo into the Radiance and to the Elite without the Radiance in the chain. Combined this with all possible color space/bit rate outputs from the Radiance and all picture mode settings in the Elite. All failed on HDMI 2 output. If this is Oppo's final position on the issue, guess I have to live with HDMI 1 Source Direct with noise reduction corrected in the Radiance. I will also update my post in the Lumagen Forum to provide further warning to Radiance owners thinking about buying a 103/105. Given that they, like me, buy Oppo products for the source direct output (among other reasons), I would guess that few will make a 103/105 purchase unless this and/or the noise reduction on HDMI 1 is fixed. Last time I looked my post had been viewed 430 times.

I certainly understand your frustration, and it does seem like Oppo might (I stress 'might') be behaving in a less than
fully forthcoming way. Which would be disappointing, But -- not to be too conspiracy theorist --I did find it interesting
that the fellow answering the phone noted they'd had a number of reports of the problem, and even made a point that
it wasn't only people on the AVS board, only to come back from engineering a few minutes later with a flat denial
anything was wrong.

Combined with the fact that a few weeks ago they said to me the problems had been confirmed by a beta tester...
I can't help wondering if they found a problem they simply couldn't solve, and so have decided to take the position
there's nothing wrong. It would be disappointing from such a stand up company, but far from unheard of...

But there are certainly less sinister possibilities; e.g., whoever this fellow talked to might not have been the last word
on the subject, or Oppo has decided not to say anything for now. but will continue looking.

Or perhaps it's only showing up in a few players, and at different levels of severity. That dreaded situation where a
problem doesn't repeat itself with enough regularity for engineering to get a grip on what the problem is, or even be
sure there is one. In that case, they could be being truthful from their own experiments. That could also explain
why you've had such a bad experience with trouble on all color spaces, others have noticed it only on 4:2:2, some saying
it is so slight as to be meaningless, and still others say there's nothing going on at all.

I know it's probably WAY more trouble than you'd want to go thru, but might it make sense to suggest to Oppo
they test your specific unit? You clearly know what you're talking about. It would be a chance for them to
look at a unit where there is strong evidence of a problem. Or you could demand an exchange. If the problem suddenly
vanished or severely dissipated, it would certainly be informative (as well as giving you a better situation).

Just some thoughts...
Sidetracked is offline  
post #6789 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Member
 
AKJohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2037 View Post

Does anybody know how if the picture quality would improve coming from a PC (ATI) to an Oppo 103?

As far as I recall, the PC doesn't offer native support for video pass through.

How will the Marvell Qdeo affect the image coming through the HDMI input (not native)?

Works great with my htpc (with ati card). I noticed a very nice improvement with the hd content I watch.
AKJohnny is online now  
post #6790 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AVfile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 2,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidetracked View Post

I know it's probably WAY more trouble than you'd want to go thru, but might it make sense to suggest to Oppo
they test your specific unit? You clearly know what you're talking about. It would be a chance for them to
look at a unit where there is strong evidence of a problem. Or you could demand an exchange. If the problem suddenly
vanished or severely dissipated, it would certainly be informative (as well as giving you a better situation).

Good idea, as it could be a quality control issue. I had it happen before with the highly regarded Denon 2900 - there was a component video chroma delay on my unit that nobody else reported.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
AVfile is offline  
post #6791 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Neuromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Navigating the Black IC
Posts: 10,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidetracked View Post


I certainly understand your frustration, and it does seem like Oppo might (I stress 'might') be behaving in a less than
fully forthcoming way.

You have to remember that dsinger has NOT communicated with OPPO since his last response with them. Thereby, his response will not be accurate or up to date to what YOU have discussed with OPPO recently. As we (Beta Testers) have already stated HDMI 2 YCbCr 4:2:2 definitely has issues, but none of the other color spaces on HDMI 2 and none of the color spaces on HDMI 1 have issues. dsinger himself has confirmed that he gets different results from the player going through and bypassing the Lumigen, so the issues are not specific to his player. His equipment shows prejudice with the color spaces.

We really need to stop making mountains out of mole holes with these posts. OPPO is not hiding anything, they are just not being proactive in communicating back to dsinger.
Quote:

Combined with the fact that a few weeks ago they said to me the problems had been confirmed by a beta tester...
I can't help wondering if they found a problem they simply couldn't solve, and so have decided to take the position
there's nothing wrong. It would be disappointing from such a stand up company, but far from unheard of...

You have to be careful WHO you talked to. If you want the best answers, always E-mail support. Why? Because most of the E-mails which leave OPPO are actually handled by the manager of tech support. The person most likely in the know of all problems is behind the keyboard. Asking a CSR on the phone, who may talk to an engineer not privy to the problem, or an engineer who is just going off of memory, will not net you the results you are desiring.
Neuromancer is online now  
post #6792 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AVfile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 2,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

I will also update my post in the Lumagen Forum to provide further warning to Radiance owners thinking about buying a 103/105. Given that they, like me, buy Oppo products for the source direct output (among other reasons), I would guess that few will make a 103/105 purchase unless this and/or the noise reduction on HDMI 1 is fixed. Last time I looked my post had been viewed 430 times.

It would appear that the 83 is still the best transport for us videophiles eek.gif

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
AVfile is offline  
post #6793 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Neuromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Navigating the Black IC
Posts: 10,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 189
BDP-103 still works as a great transport using HDMI 2 if you do not need to use YCbCr 4:2:2.
Neuromancer is online now  
post #6794 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dsinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidetracked View Post


I certainly understand your frustration, and it does seem like Oppo might (I stress 'might') be behaving in a less than
fully forthcoming way. Which would be disappointing, But -- not to be too conspiracy theorist --I did find it interesting
that the fellow answering the phone noted they'd had a number of reports of the problem, and even made a point that
it wasn't only people on the AVS board, only to come back from engineering a few minutes later with a flat denial
anything was wrong.

Combined with the fact that a few weeks ago they said to me the problems had been confirmed by a beta tester...
I can't help wondering if they found a problem they simply couldn't solve, and so have decided to take the position
there's nothing wrong. It would be disappointing from such a stand up company, but far from unheard of...

But there are certainly less sinister possibilities; e.g., whoever this fellow talked to might not have been the last word
on the subject, or Oppo has decided not to say anything for now. but will continue looking.

Or perhaps it's only showing up in a few players, and at different levels of severity. That dreaded situation where a
problem doesn't repeat itself with enough regularity for engineering to get a grip on what the problem is, or even be
sure there is one. In that case, they could be being truthful from their own experiments. That could also explain
why you've had such a bad experience with trouble on all color spaces, others have noticed it only on 4:2:2, some saying
it is so slight as to be meaningless, and still others say there's nothing going on at all.

I know it's probably WAY more trouble than you'd want to go thru, but might it make sense to suggest to Oppo
they test your specific unit? You clearly know what you're talking about. It would be a chance for them to
look at a unit where there is strong evidence of a problem. Or you could demand an exchange. If the problem suddenly
vanished or severely dissipated, it would certainly be informative (as well as giving you a better situation).

Just some thoughts...

Thanks for your thoughts. Before posting further in the Lumagen forum, I decided to contact Oppo again. Their response indicates we may have a situation where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Their response was similar to Neuromancer's comments. To paraphrase; My unit is not unique in having the problem. They have found a definite problem with 422 from HDMI 2. Other HDMI 2 color spaces pass as do all color spaces on HDMI 1. They are looking to resolve the problem with a future firmware update but have no estimate as to when that will be. Stay tuned!
dsinger is offline  
post #6795 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dsinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

It would appear that the 83 is still the best transport for us videophiles eek.gif

Knowing what I know today vs. last October, I would have kept my 83 and waited to see when and if the Qdeo noise reduction and HDMI 2 color space issues were resolved successfully before getting the 103. For the vast majority of buyers these issues are insignificant (IMO) but they are serious issues for an external video processor user.
dsinger is offline  
post #6796 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Member
 
musicalfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Ditto here, I have the same two players and also just finished Grand Prix on HD-DVD (3 hours of eye candy)!

I will add that I also think the Toshiba handles poorly mastered DVDs with difficult de-interlacing better than any scaler I've got (Pioneer Elite 59, Anthem VXP, Sony BDP, Oppo BDP, Lumagen Radiance).

Agreed. I actually have the HD-A2 (1080i Version) and without question it does the best SD DVD scaling/processing I've ever seen. That machine is a keeper.
musicalfox is online now  
post #6797 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Member
 
Sidetracked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

You have to remember that dsinger has NOT communicated with OPPO since his last response with them. Thereby, his response will not be accurate or up to date to what YOU have discussed with OPPO recently. As we (Beta Testers) have already stated HDMI 2 YCbCr 4:2:2 definitely has issues, but none of the other color spaces on HDMI 2 and none of the color spaces on HDMI 1 have issues. dsinger himself has confirmed that he gets different results from the player going through and bypassing the Lumigen, so the issues are not specific to his player. His equipment shows prejudice with the color spaces.

We really need to stop making mountains out of mole holes with these posts. OPPO is not hiding anything, they are just not being proactive in communicating back to dsinger.
You have to be careful WHO you talked to. If you want the best answers, always E-mail support. Why? Because most of the E-mails which leave OPPO are actually handled by the manager of tech support. The person most likely in the know of all problems is behind the keyboard. Asking a CSR on the phone, who may talk to an engineer not privy to the problem, or an engineer who is just going off of memory, will not net you the results you are desiring.

Thanks. I appreciate the advice re the email vs. calling. And, to prove your point, it is interesting that now there has already been a different response validating
at least the 4:2:2 issue.

That was what made me wonder what was really going on. Oppo had seemingly all but accepted there was at least a 4:2:2 issue, and I was suddenly being told
"according to the engineers there is no issue in any color space". That was what seemed disturbing. But likely I would have gotten a more careful reply in an email.
(I had assumed it was the other way around - that they'd be more careful with direct human contact. But your explanation makes sense.)

I don't mean to make a mountain out of a molehill, but this has been the first Oppo product where I've even had any frustrations. (I own 6 Oppos and have
recommended them to everyone I know in the film business.) First I found the upscalling on SD-DVDs couldn't match my old 83 or 983, then I was bothered
by the softness/sharpness issue on HDMI 1, and felt frustrated that Oppo had set it so NR etc was locked in an 'always on' situation' on that output.

So when I started to read reports that HDMI 2's output was also less than optimal (not just dsinger's, BTW. if you look back, at least 1 other poster reported
problems that they could see during playback, not just on tests)I started to fear that the 103 was simply not going to give me any good options for the sort
of reference quality output that I've come to expect from Oppo. Especially when my own eye sees a subtle difference when I run the 103/HDMI 2 in RGB directly into
the exact same input on my Kuro as my 83. I don't have the equipment/time/know how to know which is 'right', but the fact that there's a diffecence means
one is less 'accurate' than the other. My eye prefers the 83, but I will freely admit that could be just because I'm used to it, not because it's objectively
'better'. I'll also admit there could be a placebo effect here - stare at anything long enough and your brian can start creating things.

In any case, I apologize if my harping on this issue has annoyed anyone, but because I didn't seem to be alone in having questions about how the
unit was functioning, I felt it was appropriate to try and compare notes, get info from others, and communicate with Oppo.
Sidetracked is offline  
post #6798 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
hifi59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdittmer View Post

I experience the same thing you do with Stars Wars. In fact I can replicate this on all of my BD's. For me the problem occurs when powering on the Oppo with any BD already in the tray. Once powered on the player automatically loads the disc but the BD menus do not appear. I have dealt with OPPO on this and they claim they cannot replicate the problem. There are several other users who have posted here with similar problems. Please contact OPPO as when I contacted them they claimed they have not heard from others about this problem.

To get around the problem I have found a few options which work:

1. Disabling Internet connectivity gets rid of the problem.
2. Have the Oppo start using Quick Start as opposed to Energy Efficient. This gets rid of the problem. I use this method as I like Quick Start anyways.
3. Instead of ejecting your disc, try hitting stop and restart the disc from the Oppo menu. This works as well.

Again, please contact OPPO as they do not believe this is a common problem but would also not admit that my player is defective. It definitely appears to be Java related. I'm hoping a future firmware release will fix this but am not holding my breath.

I sent them a copy of my issue right after I posted here.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
hifi59 is offline  
post #6799 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
hifi59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdittmer View Post

Bob, thank you so much for this post. After numerous e-mails with Oppo this is the first explanation that I have received that makes sense. I will perform the Connection Info "test" you outlined above. I assume I should perform this test with a disc in the player? I originally thought that my WiFi router may be the source of the problem. I have Internet connected via an Ethernet cable and experienced the problem whether I connected via Ethernet or via WiFi which would make sense if the router is the problem. Having said that I did direct connect my Oppo to my cable modem to bypass the router and still had the same problem. This makes me feel better that the problem is not with my Oppo but rather with my network setup.

Yea, but these issues do not occur with my Bdp-93 sitting right above my 103. Issues still point to the 103.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
hifi59 is offline  
post #6800 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Neuromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Navigating the Black IC
Posts: 10,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 189
The BDP-93 also took a full 30 seconds to turn on, so it is possible the mounting of the Wireless device/the negotiation of the network and other tasks were completed by the time the player fully initialized on the older platform due to inherent lag between POWER/ON and the time the player could be used.
Neuromancer is online now  
post #6801 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
hifi59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

The BDP-93 also took a full 30 seconds to turn on, so it is possible the mounting of the Wireless device/the negotiation of the network and other tasks were completed by the time the player fully initialized on the older platform due to inherent lag between POWER/ON and the time the player could be used.

Perhaps correct,however, if true the 103 still needs fixin.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
hifi59 is offline  
post #6802 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Since the 103 has 7.1 audio out, why is it not a good idea to use the 103 in place of an avr.
blee0120 is online now  
post #6803 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,871
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Since the 103 has 7.1 audio out, why is it not a good idea to use the 103 in place of an avr.
That would depend on the equipment that you already own and if you prefer analog to digital.
htwaits is offline  
post #6804 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 04:47 PM
Member
 
cdittmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Saskatoon, SK Canada
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Your symptoms are consistent with the player having trouble getting going on the network, and the pre-loaded Blu-ray disc getting stuck because it thinks the network should be live by now.

The reason Quick Start fixes it, is that Quick Start keeps the network connected across power cycles -- so no need to re-connect. The fact that it works when using Quick Start would appear to eliminate a BD-Java problem in loading the disc. It is more like a BD-Live problem (disc trying to phone home).

To check this, set Energy Efficient, power cycle, immediately go into Setup > Network Setup and repeatedly go into and out of Connection Info until you see it load with the connection numbers. Then also scroll up one and do a Connection Test to insure the network really is live.

See how long it takes for the player to retrieve the network connection numbers (the DHCP protocol), and how long it takes for the network to pass Connection Test after those numbers populate. Odds are you will find the network startup is going more slowly than the disc loading.

It would seem likely that the problem here is slow response from your Wifi base station as the player tries to connect.
--Bob

Bob I just tried the connection test you suggested. My player immediately shows the Connection Info and I was also able to successfully do a Connection Test prior to the disc completely loading and the menus still would not appear. So maybe it isn't my router after all. I had the same problem when connecting my Oppo to my cable modem directly. It appears to be a glitch in the way the Oppo powers on. I am surprised there aren't more people complaining about this. Is it possible there is a bad batch of players out there as there are several people here who have this issue but others don't? Again Oppo couldn't replicate the problem.
cdittmer is offline  
post #6805 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 05:47 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,999
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

That would depend on the equipment that you already own and if you prefer analog to digital.
I'm pretty sure my ears prefer analog, but the big question is which does a better job of converting the digital to analog - the source device or the AVR? wink.gif
gsr is online now  
post #6806 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,507
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdittmer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Your symptoms are consistent with the player having trouble getting going on the network, and the pre-loaded Blu-ray disc getting stuck because it thinks the network should be live by now.

The reason Quick Start fixes it, is that Quick Start keeps the network connected across power cycles -- so no need to re-connect. The fact that it works when using Quick Start would appear to eliminate a BD-Java problem in loading the disc. It is more like a BD-Live problem (disc trying to phone home).

To check this, set Energy Efficient, power cycle, immediately go into Setup > Network Setup and repeatedly go into and out of Connection Info until you see it load with the connection numbers. Then also scroll up one and do a Connection Test to insure the network really is live.

See how long it takes for the player to retrieve the network connection numbers (the DHCP protocol), and how long it takes for the network to pass Connection Test after those numbers populate. Odds are you will find the network startup is going more slowly than the disc loading.

It would seem likely that the problem here is slow response from your Wifi base station as the player tries to connect.
--Bob

Bob I just tried the connection test you suggested. My player immediately shows the Connection Info and I was also able to successfully do a Connection Test prior to the disc completely loading and the menus still would not appear. So maybe it isn't my router after all. I had the same problem when connecting my Oppo to my cable modem directly. It appears to be a glitch in the way the Oppo powers on. I am surprised there aren't more people complaining about this. Is it possible there is a bad batch of players out there as there are several people here who have this issue but others don't? Again Oppo couldn't replicate the problem.

I'm not sure what you mean by "completely loading". Quite a few discs these days phone home during the loading process to see if they can stream some new previews to you (beyond whatever might have already been included on the disc), or whether they need to download an update to their disc menus.

Is this happening on multiple discs? You could simply be trying it with a disc that's not programmed well -- i.e., doesn't react well if its initial efforts to go out on the network don't work.

Also, once the disc has had problems downloading stuff, it may have left garbage behind in its portion of Persistent Storage. So between tests trying to nail this down you should Erase Persistent Storage, and then do your power cycle. I.e., the disc may be reacting to stuff it left behind in Persistent Storage from a previous failed attempt.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #6807 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
jdlynch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have asked this question before, but, I am having a hard time understanding the proper way to calibrate my subwoofer level.

I utilize the 103's analog outputs into the 5.1 analog inputs of my Lexicon MC-12B. I learned from this thread about how the player reduces the analog sub output by 10db.

The Lex does give me the option to raise the SW output to account for the 10 db. However, since I have all my speakers set to small the Lexicon redirects all the bass below 80 hz to the subwoofer channel. This means that I am adding a 10 db boost to the re-directed bass as well.

Is it correct for me to boost the SW output by 10db even though it is also boosting the re-directed bass? My feeling is that the re-directed bass does not require the 10 db boost. Am I over-compensating?

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
jdlynch is offline  
post #6808 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,507
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post

I have asked this question before, but, I am having a hard time understanding the proper way to calibrate my subwoofer level.

I utilize the 103's analog outputs into the 5.1 analog inputs of my Lexicon MC-12B. I learned from this thread about how the player reduces the analog sub output by 10db.

The Lex does give me the option to raise the SW output to account for the 10 db. However, since I have all my speakers set to small the Lexicon redirects all the bass below 80 hz to the subwoofer channel. This means that I am adding a 10 db boost to the re-directed bass as well.

Is it correct for me to boost the SW output by 10db even though it is also boosting the re-directed bass? My feeling is that the re-directed bass does not require the 10 db boost. Am I over-compensating?

You are asking the right questions.

First of all, you may not need to do anything special. If you have all speakers in the OPPO's own Speaker Configuration set to Large, then, as you stated, you need +10dB boost applied to the multi-channel Analog Subwoofer output to get it to match the other RCA jacks. But this is the "standard" amount of boost, and most sound processors will apply that by DEFAULT on their multi-channel Analog Subwoofer input -- without regard to what you are setting for output trims.

Second, the way to be sure you have this stuff right is to get an audio calibration disc (I recommend the AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray), and a Sound Pressure Level (SPL) meter -- everyone uses the relatively inexpensive one sold by Radio Shack for this. Check using the LPCM test track from AIX. Then you can stop worrying because you'll KNOW the levels are right.

OK, so consider: You've asked the Lexicon to mix LFE input (the multi-channel Subwoofer Analog input) with bass steered to the Sub from the other speaker channels. Fundamental to mixing like that is that the two parts have to be matched in volume before they are mixed -- since you can't adjust them separately any longer AFTER they are mixed. And that's why sound processors like this apply a DEFAULT amount of +10dB boost to that Analog LFE Input -- so that they can then mix in steered bass and have the two components matched in level for the mixing.

So how to check:

1) Temporarily set the speakers in your Lexicon to Large.
2) Use the AIX LPCM test tracks with your SPL meter to confirm that the Sub volume is matched with the other speakers. You can use the output volume trims in the Lexicon for that.
3) Change you Lexicon speakers back to Small.
4) Check that test track again. if your Crossover is well chosen in the Lexicon it should still be the case that the mains and the Sub are matched in volume -- even with the mixing.
5) Now play the Crossover test from AIX. This sends a tone to the Fronts that sweeps back and forth from very low frequency to above the Crossover region. At the high end of that all the sound will be coming from the Fronts. At the low end, all will be coming from the Sub -- due to the action of the Crossover in the Lexicon for theses "Small" speakers. Play this in a "no surround sound processing" mode in the Lexicon (i.e., so that stereo input on that multi-channel set produces output to just LF/RF/Sub -- no surround sound processing sending sound to Center or the Surrounds). If the levels are right, and the Crossover frequency is well chosen, and the bass response characteristics of your room are clean, then that tone will produce CONSTANT volume throughout the range of frequencies (except for the very lowest frequencies that will be hard to hear).
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #6809 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 11:04 PM
Member
 
cdittmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Saskatoon, SK Canada
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by "completely loading". Quite a few discs these days phone home during the loading process to see if they can stream some new previews to you (beyond whatever might have already been included on the disc), or whether they need to download an update to their disc menus.

Is this happening on multiple discs? You could simply be trying it with a disc that's not programmed well -- i.e., doesn't react well if its initial efforts to go out on the network don't work.

Also, once the disc has had problems downloading stuff, it may have left garbage behind in its portion of Persistent Storage. So between tests trying to nail this down you should Erase Persistent Storage, and then do your power cycle. I.e., the disc may be reacting to stuff it left behind in Persistent Storage from a previous failed attempt.
--Bob

Bob, it happens on virtually all of my BD discs. All Universal Studios and Paramount titles for sure. I tried some MGM/20th Century Fox titles and they all failed to load. The only disc recently that has worked is the Hobbit. I have erased my Persistent Storage and it made no difference. What I meant by "completely loading" was that I could see the IP address appear on my Oppo and successfully run the Connection Test prior to the disc getting to the part where the disc menus should appear, there didn't seem to be a delay on the Oppo's part in connecting to the network.

I did watch the LED display on the Oppo itself during the power up sequence and the Oppo had already started loading the BD (as evidenced by the display reading BDMV) before the network icon appeared (this was all before the Oppo Main Menu screen became visible on my TV). During the Quick Start power up sequence the BDMV reading and the network icon appear simultaneously (which makes sense if the network connection is maintained even during power down). It's almost like in Energy Efficient mode the Oppo is loading the disc too quickly and there should be a second or two delay to allow the network connection to complete.
cdittmer is offline  
post #6810 of 21148 Old 03-22-2013, 11:46 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
This has probably (hopefully) been reported before, but is anyone noticing some BD titles loading the menu screen without the textual menus? Whenever this happens, stopping and replaying the disc (from the home menu/screen) always resolves it on the second try. It's a minor inconvenience but frustrating nonetheless (and effectively doubles the disc-loading times). Maybe its time to clear the persistent storage.
vinnie97 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off