Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 227 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6781 of 17816 Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dsinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidetracked View Post

Hi,

Just curious if you've heard from Oppo on the issue? Did they say anything specific, or just a general
'we'll look into it?'

Had about a 2 day email exchange with Oppo beginning on 1/20. Their last response was they were forwarding the problem to engineering. Haven't heard anything from them since then.
dsinger is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6782 of 17816 Old 03-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
hifi59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My issues so far with the Bdp-103 (connected via Hdmi to my Yamaha Rx-A3020 receiver).i just installed the 3020 receiver. It replaced an Onkyo . Same symptoms with either receiver. Both the Oppo and the Yamaha have latest fw. Tv is Pioneer Kuro Elite.

1. I went to play Star Wars BR Phantom Menace. When the main menu appeared, there was no option to hit play ,select language,bonus features,etc. nothing! I ejected disc and tried again. It worked this time. Same thing happened the next day.

2. I have several BR discs so far (and likely many more) that no audio plays whether I am bitstreaming or sending PCM.
This even happened when I went to watch the VUDU trailer of The Hobbit yesterday.
Luckily, I have the Bdp-93 still. It does not have these issues.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
hifi59 is offline  
post #6783 of 17816 Old 03-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Member
 
Sidetracked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

Had about a 2 day email exchange with Oppo beginning on 1/20. Their last response was they were forwarding the problem to engineering. Haven't heard anything from them since then.

Well, wanting to hear what was going on with this issue (the question of HDMI 2 having problems with chroma and
luminance), I just got off the phone with Oppo.

The fellow who answered acknowledged they've had a number of reports and calls about it (not just the ones on AVS).
He said he wasn't sure what the latest was, so he put me on hold to speak to engineering.

After a couple of minutes, he returned and said he talked to a couple of the engineering guys.

The report was that they've looked at it, but aren't seeing any problem, and most likely anomalies are because people aren't using the right
color space for their display or device. Their conclusion for now is there is no inherent problem on any colorspace in terms of the Oppo.

Please don't shoot me - I'm only the messenger, and I am not personally vouching for the technical accuracy of what was reported to me. Nor
am I claiming this should be the last word on the subject. But it was certainly a different tone from a few weeks back, when they seemed to be
saying it looked likely something WAS going on.

I just want to share as precisely as I could what Oppo said to a direct inquiry. Whether it's the whole story is beyond me.
Sidetracked is offline  
post #6784 of 17816 Old 03-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Senior Member
 
AndrewFG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphader View Post

Did you test the "client" as well?

No. (Not yet anyway...)
AndrewFG is offline  
post #6785 of 17816 Old 03-21-2013, 04:10 PM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 6,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View PostUpdate: I just ran the Oppo against the official UPnP Certification test tool v2.0. This tool runs a suite of around 100 tests on the device to verify its conformity to the UPnP standard.

Of these 100 or so tests, the Oppo failed 6 of the tests outright, and it got warnings (e.g. for semantic or timing erros) on a further 12 of the tests.

What is that UPnP!

wse is offline  
post #6786 of 17816 Old 03-21-2013, 04:14 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16,976
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

What is that UPnP!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upnp

-Bill
wmcclain is online now  
post #6787 of 17816 Old 03-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Senior Member
 
j2037's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Does anybody know how if the picture quality would improve coming from a PC (ATI) to an Oppo 103?

As far as I recall, the PC doesn't offer native support for video pass through.

How will the Marvell Qdeo affect the image coming through the HDMI input (not native)?
j2037 is offline  
post #6788 of 17816 Old 03-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Member
 
cdittmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Saskatoon, SK Canada
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post

My issues so far with the Bdp-103 (connected via Hdmi to my Yamaha Rx-A3020 receiver).i just installed the 3020 receiver. It replaced an Onkyo . Same symptoms with either receiver. Both the Oppo and the Yamaha have latest fw. Tv is Pioneer Kuro Elite.

1. I went to play Star Wars BR Phantom Menace. When the main menu appeared, there was no option to hit play ,select language,bonus features,etc. nothing! I ejected disc and tried again. It worked this time. Same thing happened the next day.

2. I have several BR discs so far (and likely many more) that no audio plays whether I am bitstreaming or sending PCM.
This even happened when I went to watch the VUDU trailer of The Hobbit yesterday.
Luckily, I have the Bdp-93 still. It does not have these issues.

I experience the same thing you do with Stars Wars. In fact I can replicate this on all of my BD's. For me the problem occurs when powering on the Oppo with any BD already in the tray. Once powered on the player automatically loads the disc but the BD menus do not appear. I have dealt with OPPO on this and they claim they cannot replicate the problem. There are several other users who have posted here with similar problems. Please contact OPPO as when I contacted them they claimed they have not heard from others about this problem.

To get around the problem I have found a few options which work:

1. Disabling Internet connectivity gets rid of the problem.
2. Have the Oppo start using Quick Start as opposed to Energy Efficient. This gets rid of the problem. I use this method as I like Quick Start anyways.
3. Instead of ejecting your disc, try hitting stop and restart the disc from the Oppo menu. This works as well.

Again, please contact OPPO as they do not believe this is a common problem but would also not admit that my player is defective. It definitely appears to be Java related. I'm hoping a future firmware release will fix this but am not holding my breath.
cdittmer is offline  
post #6789 of 17816 Old 03-21-2013, 10:49 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 818
^ Your symptoms are consistent with the player having trouble getting going on the network, and the pre-loaded Blu-ray disc getting stuck because it thinks the network should be live by now.

The reason Quick Start fixes it, is that Quick Start keeps the network connected across power cycles -- so no need to re-connect. The fact that it works when using Quick Start would appear to eliminate a BD-Java problem in loading the disc. It is more like a BD-Live problem (disc trying to phone home).

To check this, set Energy Efficient, power cycle, immediately go into Setup > Network Setup and repeatedly go into and out of Connection Info until you see it load with the connection numbers. Then also scroll up one and do a Connection Test to insure the network really is live.

See how long it takes for the player to retrieve the network connection numbers (the DHCP protocol), and how long it takes for the network to pass Connection Test after those numbers populate. Odds are you will find the network startup is going more slowly than the disc loading.

It would seem likely that the problem here is slow response from your Wifi base station as the player tries to connect.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #6790 of 17816 Old 03-22-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dsinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidetracked View Post

Well, wanting to hear what was going on with this issue (the question of HDMI 2 having problems with chroma and
luminance), I just got off the phone with Oppo.

The fellow who answered acknowledged they've had a number of reports and calls about it (not just the ones on AVS).
He said he wasn't sure what the latest was, so he put me on hold to speak to engineering.

After a couple of minutes, he returned and said he talked to a couple of the engineering guys.

The report was that they've looked at it, but aren't seeing any problem, and most likely anomalies are because people aren't using the right
color space for their display or device. Their conclusion for now is there is no inherent problem on any colorspace in terms of the Oppo.

Please don't shoot me - I'm only the messenger, and I am not personally vouching for the technical accuracy of what was reported to me. Nor
am I claiming this should be the last word on the subject. But it was certainly a different tone from a few weeks back, when they seemed to be
saying it looked likely something WAS going on.

I just want to share as precisely as I could what Oppo said to a direct inquiry. Whether it's the whole story is beyond me.

Thanks for contacting them. Back in January, I tried every possible combinations of color space and bit rate from the Oppo into the Radiance and to the Elite without the Radiance in the chain. Combined this with all possible color space/bit rate outputs from the Radiance and all picture mode settings in the Elite. All failed on HDMI 2 output. If this is Oppo's final position on the issue, guess I have to live with HDMI 1 Source Direct with noise reduction corrected in the Radiance. I will also update my post in the Lumagen Forum to provide further warning to Radiance owners thinking about buying a 103/105. Given that they, like me, buy Oppo products for the source direct output (among other reasons), I would guess that few will make a 103/105 purchase unless this and/or the noise reduction on HDMI 1 is fixed. Last time I looked my post had been viewed 430 times.
dsinger is online now  
post #6791 of 17816 Old 03-22-2013, 07:43 AM
Member
 
cdittmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Saskatoon, SK Canada
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Your symptoms are consistent with the player having trouble getting going on the network, and the pre-loaded Blu-ray disc getting stuck because it thinks the network should be live by now.

The reason Quick Start fixes it, is that Quick Start keeps the network connected across power cycles -- so no need to re-connect. The fact that it works when using Quick Start would appear to eliminate a BD-Java problem in loading the disc. It is more like a BD-Live problem (disc trying to phone home).

To check this, set Energy Efficient, power cycle, immediately go into Setup > Network Setup and repeatedly go into and out of Connection Info until you see it load with the connection numbers. Then also scroll up one and do a Connection Test to insure the network really is live.

See how long it takes for the player to retrieve the network connection numbers (the DHCP protocol), and how long it takes for the network to pass Connection Test after those numbers populate. Odds are you will find the network startup is going more slowly than the disc loading.

It would seem likely that the problem here is slow response from your Wifi base station as the player tries to connect.
--Bob

Bob, thank you so much for this post. After numerous e-mails with Oppo this is the first explanation that I have received that makes sense. I will perform the Connection Info "test" you outlined above. I assume I should perform this test with a disc in the player? I originally thought that my WiFi router may be the source of the problem. I have Internet connected via an Ethernet cable and experienced the problem whether I connected via Ethernet or via WiFi which would make sense if the router is the problem. Having said that I did direct connect my Oppo to my cable modem to bypass the router and still had the same problem. This makes me feel better that the problem is not with my Oppo but rather with my network setup.
cdittmer is offline  
post #6792 of 17816 Old 03-22-2013, 07:52 AM
Member
 
cdittmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Saskatoon, SK Canada
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Your symptoms are consistent with the player having trouble getting going on the network, and the pre-loaded Blu-ray disc getting stuck because it thinks the network should be live by now.

The reason Quick Start fixes it, is that Quick Start keeps the network connected across power cycles -- so no need to re-connect. The fact that it works when using Quick Start would appear to eliminate a BD-Java problem in loading the disc. It is more like a BD-Live problem (disc trying to phone home).

To check this, set Energy Efficient, power cycle, immediately go into Setup > Network Setup and repeatedly go into and out of Connection Info until you see it load with the connection numbers. Then also scroll up one and do a Connection Test to insure the network really is live.

See how long it takes for the player to retrieve the network connection numbers (the DHCP protocol), and how long it takes for the network to pass Connection Test after those numbers populate. Odds are you will find the network startup is going more slowly than the disc loading.

It would seem likely that the problem here is slow response from your Wifi base station as the player tries to connect.
--Bob

Thanks Bob. This is the first time I have received an answer that makes sense and would explain why Oppo was unable to replicate the problem. I will perform the tests as you suggest and see what happens. I suspected my WiFi router may be part of the problem so directly connected my Oppo to my cable modem via Ethernet and still had the same problem which I was why I thought it was something else. At least it appears that my Oppo may not be defective. Thanks again!
cdittmer is offline  
post #6793 of 17816 Old 03-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Member
 
Sidetracked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

Thanks for contacting them. Back in January, I tried every possible combinations of color space and bit rate from the Oppo into the Radiance and to the Elite without the Radiance in the chain. Combined this with all possible color space/bit rate outputs from the Radiance and all picture mode settings in the Elite. All failed on HDMI 2 output. If this is Oppo's final position on the issue, guess I have to live with HDMI 1 Source Direct with noise reduction corrected in the Radiance. I will also update my post in the Lumagen Forum to provide further warning to Radiance owners thinking about buying a 103/105. Given that they, like me, buy Oppo products for the source direct output (among other reasons), I would guess that few will make a 103/105 purchase unless this and/or the noise reduction on HDMI 1 is fixed. Last time I looked my post had been viewed 430 times.

I certainly understand your frustration, and it does seem like Oppo might (I stress 'might') be behaving in a less than
fully forthcoming way. Which would be disappointing, But -- not to be too conspiracy theorist --I did find it interesting
that the fellow answering the phone noted they'd had a number of reports of the problem, and even made a point that
it wasn't only people on the AVS board, only to come back from engineering a few minutes later with a flat denial
anything was wrong.

Combined with the fact that a few weeks ago they said to me the problems had been confirmed by a beta tester...
I can't help wondering if they found a problem they simply couldn't solve, and so have decided to take the position
there's nothing wrong. It would be disappointing from such a stand up company, but far from unheard of...

But there are certainly less sinister possibilities; e.g., whoever this fellow talked to might not have been the last word
on the subject, or Oppo has decided not to say anything for now. but will continue looking.

Or perhaps it's only showing up in a few players, and at different levels of severity. That dreaded situation where a
problem doesn't repeat itself with enough regularity for engineering to get a grip on what the problem is, or even be
sure there is one. In that case, they could be being truthful from their own experiments. That could also explain
why you've had such a bad experience with trouble on all color spaces, others have noticed it only on 4:2:2, some saying
it is so slight as to be meaningless, and still others say there's nothing going on at all.

I know it's probably WAY more trouble than you'd want to go thru, but might it make sense to suggest to Oppo
they test your specific unit? You clearly know what you're talking about. It would be a chance for them to
look at a unit where there is strong evidence of a problem. Or you could demand an exchange. If the problem suddenly
vanished or severely dissipated, it would certainly be informative (as well as giving you a better situation).

Just some thoughts...
Sidetracked is offline  
post #6794 of 17816 Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Member
 
AKJohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2037 View Post

Does anybody know how if the picture quality would improve coming from a PC (ATI) to an Oppo 103?

As far as I recall, the PC doesn't offer native support for video pass through.

How will the Marvell Qdeo affect the image coming through the HDMI input (not native)?

Works great with my htpc (with ati card). I noticed a very nice improvement with the hd content I watch.
AKJohnny is offline  
post #6795 of 17816 Old 03-22-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AVfile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidetracked View Post

I know it's probably WAY more trouble than you'd want to go thru, but might it make sense to suggest to Oppo
they test your specific unit? You clearly know what you're talking about. It would be a chance for them to
look at a unit where there is strong evidence of a problem. Or you could demand an exchange. If the problem suddenly
vanished or severely dissipated, it would certainly be informative (as well as giving you a better situation).

Good idea, as it could be a quality control issue. I had it happen before with the highly regarded Denon 2900 - there was a component video chroma delay on my unit that nobody else reported.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
AVfile is offline  
post #6796 of 17816 Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Neuromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Navigating the Black IC
Posts: 10,959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidetracked View Post


I certainly understand your frustration, and it does seem like Oppo might (I stress 'might') be behaving in a less than
fully forthcoming way.

You have to remember that dsinger has NOT communicated with OPPO since his last response with them. Thereby, his response will not be accurate or up to date to what YOU have discussed with OPPO recently. As we (Beta Testers) have already stated HDMI 2 YCbCr 4:2:2 definitely has issues, but none of the other color spaces on HDMI 2 and none of the color spaces on HDMI 1 have issues. dsinger himself has confirmed that he gets different results from the player going through and bypassing the Lumigen, so the issues are not specific to his player. His equipment shows prejudice with the color spaces.

We really need to stop making mountains out of mole holes with these posts. OPPO is not hiding anything, they are just not being proactive in communicating back to dsinger.
Quote:

Combined with the fact that a few weeks ago they said to me the problems had been confirmed by a beta tester...
I can't help wondering if they found a problem they simply couldn't solve, and so have decided to take the position
there's nothing wrong. It would be disappointing from such a stand up company, but far from unheard of...

You have to be careful WHO you talked to. If you want the best answers, always E-mail support. Why? Because most of the E-mails which leave OPPO are actually handled by the manager of tech support. The person most likely in the know of all problems is behind the keyboard. Asking a CSR on the phone, who may talk to an engineer not privy to the problem, or an engineer who is just going off of memory, will not net you the results you are desiring.
Neuromancer is offline  
post #6797 of 17816 Old 03-22-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AVfile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

I will also update my post in the Lumagen Forum to provide further warning to Radiance owners thinking about buying a 103/105. Given that they, like me, buy Oppo products for the source direct output (among other reasons), I would guess that few will make a 103/105 purchase unless this and/or the noise reduction on HDMI 1 is fixed. Last time I looked my post had been viewed 430 times.

It would appear that the 83 is still the best transport for us videophiles eek.gif

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
AVfile is offline  
post #6798 of 17816 Old 03-22-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Neuromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Navigating the Black IC
Posts: 10,959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
BDP-103 still works as a great transport using HDMI 2 if you do not need to use YCbCr 4:2:2.
Neuromancer is offline  
post #6799 of 17816 Old 03-22-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dsinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidetracked View Post


I certainly understand your frustration, and it does seem like Oppo might (I stress 'might') be behaving in a less than
fully forthcoming way. Which would be disappointing, But -- not to be too conspiracy theorist --I did find it interesting
that the fellow answering the phone noted they'd had a number of reports of the problem, and even made a point that
it wasn't only people on the AVS board, only to come back from engineering a few minutes later with a flat denial
anything was wrong.

Combined with the fact that a few weeks ago they said to me the problems had been confirmed by a beta tester...
I can't help wondering if they found a problem they simply couldn't solve, and so have decided to take the position
there's nothing wrong. It would be disappointing from such a stand up company, but far from unheard of...

But there are certainly less sinister possibilities; e.g., whoever this fellow talked to might not have been the last word
on the subject, or Oppo has decided not to say anything for now. but will continue looking.

Or perhaps it's only showing up in a few players, and at different levels of severity. That dreaded situation where a
problem doesn't repeat itself with enough regularity for engineering to get a grip on what the problem is, or even be
sure there is one. In that case, they could be being truthful from their own experiments. That could also explain
why you've had such a bad experience with trouble on all color spaces, others have noticed it only on 4:2:2, some saying
it is so slight as to be meaningless, and still others say there's nothing going on at all.

I know it's probably WAY more trouble than you'd want to go thru, but might it make sense to suggest to Oppo
they test your specific unit? You clearly know what you're talking about. It would be a chance for them to
look at a unit where there is strong evidence of a problem. Or you could demand an exchange. If the problem suddenly
vanished or severely dissipated, it would certainly be informative (as well as giving you a better situation).

Just some thoughts...

Thanks for your thoughts. Before posting further in the Lumagen forum, I decided to contact Oppo again. Their response indicates we may have a situation where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Their response was similar to Neuromancer's comments. To paraphrase; My unit is not unique in having the problem. They have found a definite problem with 422 from HDMI 2. Other HDMI 2 color spaces pass as do all color spaces on HDMI 1. They are looking to resolve the problem with a future firmware update but have no estimate as to when that will be. Stay tuned!
dsinger is online now  
post #6800 of 17816 Old 03-22-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dsinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

It would appear that the 83 is still the best transport for us videophiles eek.gif

Knowing what I know today vs. last October, I would have kept my 83 and waited to see when and if the Qdeo noise reduction and HDMI 2 color space issues were resolved successfully before getting the 103. For the vast majority of buyers these issues are insignificant (IMO) but they are serious issues for an external video processor user.
dsinger is online now  
post #6801 of 17816 Old 03-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Member
 
musicalfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Ditto here, I have the same two players and also just finished Grand Prix on HD-DVD (3 hours of eye candy)!

I will add that I also think the Toshiba handles poorly mastered DVDs with difficult de-interlacing better than any scaler I've got (Pioneer Elite 59, Anthem VXP, Sony BDP, Oppo BDP, Lumagen Radiance).

Agreed. I actually have the HD-A2 (1080i Version) and without question it does the best SD DVD scaling/processing I've ever seen. That machine is a keeper.
musicalfox is offline  
post #6802 of 17816 Old 03-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Member
 
Sidetracked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

You have to remember that dsinger has NOT communicated with OPPO since his last response with them. Thereby, his response will not be accurate or up to date to what YOU have discussed with OPPO recently. As we (Beta Testers) have already stated HDMI 2 YCbCr 4:2:2 definitely has issues, but none of the other color spaces on HDMI 2 and none of the color spaces on HDMI 1 have issues. dsinger himself has confirmed that he gets different results from the player going through and bypassing the Lumigen, so the issues are not specific to his player. His equipment shows prejudice with the color spaces.

We really need to stop making mountains out of mole holes with these posts. OPPO is not hiding anything, they are just not being proactive in communicating back to dsinger.
You have to be careful WHO you talked to. If you want the best answers, always E-mail support. Why? Because most of the E-mails which leave OPPO are actually handled by the manager of tech support. The person most likely in the know of all problems is behind the keyboard. Asking a CSR on the phone, who may talk to an engineer not privy to the problem, or an engineer who is just going off of memory, will not net you the results you are desiring.

Thanks. I appreciate the advice re the email vs. calling. And, to prove your point, it is interesting that now there has already been a different response validating
at least the 4:2:2 issue.

That was what made me wonder what was really going on. Oppo had seemingly all but accepted there was at least a 4:2:2 issue, and I was suddenly being told
"according to the engineers there is no issue in any color space". That was what seemed disturbing. But likely I would have gotten a more careful reply in an email.
(I had assumed it was the other way around - that they'd be more careful with direct human contact. But your explanation makes sense.)

I don't mean to make a mountain out of a molehill, but this has been the first Oppo product where I've even had any frustrations. (I own 6 Oppos and have
recommended them to everyone I know in the film business.) First I found the upscalling on SD-DVDs couldn't match my old 83 or 983, then I was bothered
by the softness/sharpness issue on HDMI 1, and felt frustrated that Oppo had set it so NR etc was locked in an 'always on' situation' on that output.

So when I started to read reports that HDMI 2's output was also less than optimal (not just dsinger's, BTW. if you look back, at least 1 other poster reported
problems that they could see during playback, not just on tests)I started to fear that the 103 was simply not going to give me any good options for the sort
of reference quality output that I've come to expect from Oppo. Especially when my own eye sees a subtle difference when I run the 103/HDMI 2 in RGB directly into
the exact same input on my Kuro as my 83. I don't have the equipment/time/know how to know which is 'right', but the fact that there's a diffecence means
one is less 'accurate' than the other. My eye prefers the 83, but I will freely admit that could be just because I'm used to it, not because it's objectively
'better'. I'll also admit there could be a placebo effect here - stare at anything long enough and your brian can start creating things.

In any case, I apologize if my harping on this issue has annoyed anyone, but because I didn't seem to be alone in having questions about how the
unit was functioning, I felt it was appropriate to try and compare notes, get info from others, and communicate with Oppo.
Sidetracked is offline  
post #6803 of 17816 Old 03-22-2013, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
hifi59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdittmer View Post

I experience the same thing you do with Stars Wars. In fact I can replicate this on all of my BD's. For me the problem occurs when powering on the Oppo with any BD already in the tray. Once powered on the player automatically loads the disc but the BD menus do not appear. I have dealt with OPPO on this and they claim they cannot replicate the problem. There are several other users who have posted here with similar problems. Please contact OPPO as when I contacted them they claimed they have not heard from others about this problem.

To get around the problem I have found a few options which work:

1. Disabling Internet connectivity gets rid of the problem.
2. Have the Oppo start using Quick Start as opposed to Energy Efficient. This gets rid of the problem. I use this method as I like Quick Start anyways.
3. Instead of ejecting your disc, try hitting stop and restart the disc from the Oppo menu. This works as well.

Again, please contact OPPO as they do not believe this is a common problem but would also not admit that my player is defective. It definitely appears to be Java related. I'm hoping a future firmware release will fix this but am not holding my breath.

I sent them a copy of my issue right after I posted here.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
hifi59 is offline  
post #6804 of 17816 Old 03-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
hifi59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdittmer View Post

Bob, thank you so much for this post. After numerous e-mails with Oppo this is the first explanation that I have received that makes sense. I will perform the Connection Info "test" you outlined above. I assume I should perform this test with a disc in the player? I originally thought that my WiFi router may be the source of the problem. I have Internet connected via an Ethernet cable and experienced the problem whether I connected via Ethernet or via WiFi which would make sense if the router is the problem. Having said that I did direct connect my Oppo to my cable modem to bypass the router and still had the same problem. This makes me feel better that the problem is not with my Oppo but rather with my network setup.

Yea, but these issues do not occur with my Bdp-93 sitting right above my 103. Issues still point to the 103.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
hifi59 is offline  
post #6805 of 17816 Old 03-22-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Neuromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Navigating the Black IC
Posts: 10,959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
The BDP-93 also took a full 30 seconds to turn on, so it is possible the mounting of the Wireless device/the negotiation of the network and other tasks were completed by the time the player fully initialized on the older platform due to inherent lag between POWER/ON and the time the player could be used.
Neuromancer is offline  
post #6806 of 17816 Old 03-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
hifi59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

The BDP-93 also took a full 30 seconds to turn on, so it is possible the mounting of the Wireless device/the negotiation of the network and other tasks were completed by the time the player fully initialized on the older platform due to inherent lag between POWER/ON and the time the player could be used.

Perhaps correct,however, if true the 103 still needs fixin.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
hifi59 is offline  
post #6807 of 17816 Old 03-22-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Since the 103 has 7.1 audio out, why is it not a good idea to use the 103 in place of an avr.
blee0120 is online now  
post #6808 of 17816 Old 03-22-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,724
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Since the 103 has 7.1 audio out, why is it not a good idea to use the 103 in place of an avr.
That would depend on the equipment that you already own and if you prefer analog to digital.
htwaits is offline  
post #6809 of 17816 Old 03-22-2013, 04:47 PM
Member
 
cdittmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Saskatoon, SK Canada
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Your symptoms are consistent with the player having trouble getting going on the network, and the pre-loaded Blu-ray disc getting stuck because it thinks the network should be live by now.

The reason Quick Start fixes it, is that Quick Start keeps the network connected across power cycles -- so no need to re-connect. The fact that it works when using Quick Start would appear to eliminate a BD-Java problem in loading the disc. It is more like a BD-Live problem (disc trying to phone home).

To check this, set Energy Efficient, power cycle, immediately go into Setup > Network Setup and repeatedly go into and out of Connection Info until you see it load with the connection numbers. Then also scroll up one and do a Connection Test to insure the network really is live.

See how long it takes for the player to retrieve the network connection numbers (the DHCP protocol), and how long it takes for the network to pass Connection Test after those numbers populate. Odds are you will find the network startup is going more slowly than the disc loading.

It would seem likely that the problem here is slow response from your Wifi base station as the player tries to connect.
--Bob

Bob I just tried the connection test you suggested. My player immediately shows the Connection Info and I was also able to successfully do a Connection Test prior to the disc completely loading and the menus still would not appear. So maybe it isn't my router after all. I had the same problem when connecting my Oppo to my cable modem directly. It appears to be a glitch in the way the Oppo powers on. I am surprised there aren't more people complaining about this. Is it possible there is a bad batch of players out there as there are several people here who have this issue but others don't? Again Oppo couldn't replicate the problem.
cdittmer is offline  
post #6810 of 17816 Old 03-22-2013, 05:47 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,378
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

That would depend on the equipment that you already own and if you prefer analog to digital.
I'm pretty sure my ears prefer analog, but the big question is which does a better job of converting the digital to analog - the source device or the AVR? wink.gif
gsr is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off