Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdittmer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Your symptoms are consistent with the player having trouble getting going on the network, and the pre-loaded Blu-ray disc getting stuck because it thinks the network should be live by now.

The reason Quick Start fixes it, is that Quick Start keeps the network connected across power cycles -- so no need to re-connect. The fact that it works when using Quick Start would appear to eliminate a BD-Java problem in loading the disc. It is more like a BD-Live problem (disc trying to phone home).

To check this, set Energy Efficient, power cycle, immediately go into Setup > Network Setup and repeatedly go into and out of Connection Info until you see it load with the connection numbers. Then also scroll up one and do a Connection Test to insure the network really is live.

See how long it takes for the player to retrieve the network connection numbers (the DHCP protocol), and how long it takes for the network to pass Connection Test after those numbers populate. Odds are you will find the network startup is going more slowly than the disc loading.

It would seem likely that the problem here is slow response from your Wifi base station as the player tries to connect.
--Bob

Bob I just tried the connection test you suggested. My player immediately shows the Connection Info and I was also able to successfully do a Connection Test prior to the disc completely loading and the menus still would not appear. So maybe it isn't my router after all. I had the same problem when connecting my Oppo to my cable modem directly. It appears to be a glitch in the way the Oppo powers on. I am surprised there aren't more people complaining about this. Is it possible there is a bad batch of players out there as there are several people here who have this issue but others don't? Again Oppo couldn't replicate the problem.

I'm not sure what you mean by "completely loading". Quite a few discs these days phone home during the loading process to see if they can stream some new previews to you (beyond whatever might have already been included on the disc), or whether they need to download an update to their disc menus.

Is this happening on multiple discs? You could simply be trying it with a disc that's not programmed well -- i.e., doesn't react well if its initial efforts to go out on the network don't work.

Also, once the disc has had problems downloading stuff, it may have left garbage behind in its portion of Persistent Storage. So between tests trying to nail this down you should Erase Persistent Storage, and then do your power cycle. I.e., the disc may be reacting to stuff it left behind in Persistent Storage from a previous failed attempt.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6812 of 17812 Old 03-22-2013, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have asked this question before, but, I am having a hard time understanding the proper way to calibrate my subwoofer level.

I utilize the 103's analog outputs into the 5.1 analog inputs of my Lexicon MC-12B. I learned from this thread about how the player reduces the analog sub output by 10db.

The Lex does give me the option to raise the SW output to account for the 10 db. However, since I have all my speakers set to small the Lexicon redirects all the bass below 80 hz to the subwoofer channel. This means that I am adding a 10 db boost to the re-directed bass as well.

Is it correct for me to boost the SW output by 10db even though it is also boosting the re-directed bass? My feeling is that the re-directed bass does not require the 10 db boost. Am I over-compensating?

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #6813 of 17812 Old 03-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post

I have asked this question before, but, I am having a hard time understanding the proper way to calibrate my subwoofer level.

I utilize the 103's analog outputs into the 5.1 analog inputs of my Lexicon MC-12B. I learned from this thread about how the player reduces the analog sub output by 10db.

The Lex does give me the option to raise the SW output to account for the 10 db. However, since I have all my speakers set to small the Lexicon redirects all the bass below 80 hz to the subwoofer channel. This means that I am adding a 10 db boost to the re-directed bass as well.

Is it correct for me to boost the SW output by 10db even though it is also boosting the re-directed bass? My feeling is that the re-directed bass does not require the 10 db boost. Am I over-compensating?

You are asking the right questions.

First of all, you may not need to do anything special. If you have all speakers in the OPPO's own Speaker Configuration set to Large, then, as you stated, you need +10dB boost applied to the multi-channel Analog Subwoofer output to get it to match the other RCA jacks. But this is the "standard" amount of boost, and most sound processors will apply that by DEFAULT on their multi-channel Analog Subwoofer input -- without regard to what you are setting for output trims.

Second, the way to be sure you have this stuff right is to get an audio calibration disc (I recommend the AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray), and a Sound Pressure Level (SPL) meter -- everyone uses the relatively inexpensive one sold by Radio Shack for this. Check using the LPCM test track from AIX. Then you can stop worrying because you'll KNOW the levels are right.

OK, so consider: You've asked the Lexicon to mix LFE input (the multi-channel Subwoofer Analog input) with bass steered to the Sub from the other speaker channels. Fundamental to mixing like that is that the two parts have to be matched in volume before they are mixed -- since you can't adjust them separately any longer AFTER they are mixed. And that's why sound processors like this apply a DEFAULT amount of +10dB boost to that Analog LFE Input -- so that they can then mix in steered bass and have the two components matched in level for the mixing.

So how to check:

1) Temporarily set the speakers in your Lexicon to Large.
2) Use the AIX LPCM test tracks with your SPL meter to confirm that the Sub volume is matched with the other speakers. You can use the output volume trims in the Lexicon for that.
3) Change you Lexicon speakers back to Small.
4) Check that test track again. if your Crossover is well chosen in the Lexicon it should still be the case that the mains and the Sub are matched in volume -- even with the mixing.
5) Now play the Crossover test from AIX. This sends a tone to the Fronts that sweeps back and forth from very low frequency to above the Crossover region. At the high end of that all the sound will be coming from the Fronts. At the low end, all will be coming from the Sub -- due to the action of the Crossover in the Lexicon for theses "Small" speakers. Play this in a "no surround sound processing" mode in the Lexicon (i.e., so that stereo input on that multi-channel set produces output to just LF/RF/Sub -- no surround sound processing sending sound to Center or the Surrounds). If the levels are right, and the Crossover frequency is well chosen, and the bass response characteristics of your room are clean, then that tone will produce CONSTANT volume throughout the range of frequencies (except for the very lowest frequencies that will be hard to hear).
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6814 of 17812 Old 03-22-2013, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "completely loading". Quite a few discs these days phone home during the loading process to see if they can stream some new previews to you (beyond whatever might have already been included on the disc), or whether they need to download an update to their disc menus.

Is this happening on multiple discs? You could simply be trying it with a disc that's not programmed well -- i.e., doesn't react well if its initial efforts to go out on the network don't work.

Also, once the disc has had problems downloading stuff, it may have left garbage behind in its portion of Persistent Storage. So between tests trying to nail this down you should Erase Persistent Storage, and then do your power cycle. I.e., the disc may be reacting to stuff it left behind in Persistent Storage from a previous failed attempt.
--Bob

Bob, it happens on virtually all of my BD discs. All Universal Studios and Paramount titles for sure. I tried some MGM/20th Century Fox titles and they all failed to load. The only disc recently that has worked is the Hobbit. I have erased my Persistent Storage and it made no difference. What I meant by "completely loading" was that I could see the IP address appear on my Oppo and successfully run the Connection Test prior to the disc getting to the part where the disc menus should appear, there didn't seem to be a delay on the Oppo's part in connecting to the network.

I did watch the LED display on the Oppo itself during the power up sequence and the Oppo had already started loading the BD (as evidenced by the display reading BDMV) before the network icon appeared (this was all before the Oppo Main Menu screen became visible on my TV). During the Quick Start power up sequence the BDMV reading and the network icon appear simultaneously (which makes sense if the network connection is maintained even during power down). It's almost like in Energy Efficient mode the Oppo is loading the disc too quickly and there should be a second or two delay to allow the network connection to complete.
post #6815 of 17812 Old 03-22-2013, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
This has probably (hopefully) been reported before, but is anyone noticing some BD titles loading the menu screen without the textual menus? Whenever this happens, stopping and replaying the disc (from the home menu/screen) always resolves it on the second try. It's a minor inconvenience but frustrating nonetheless (and effectively doubles the disc-loading times). Maybe its time to clear the persistent storage.
post #6816 of 17812 Old 03-23-2013, 12:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Maybe its time to clear the persistent storage.
It could be. Let us know.
post #6817 of 17812 Old 03-23-2013, 12:27 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Bob, it happens on virtually all of my BD discs. All Universal Studios and Paramount titles for sure. I tried some MGM/20th Century Fox titles and they all failed to load. The only disc recently that has worked is the Hobbit. I have erased my Persistent Storage and it made no difference. What I meant by "completely loading" was that I could see the IP address appear on my Oppo and successfully run the Connection Test prior to the disc getting to the part where the disc menus should appear, there didn't seem to be a delay on the Oppo's part in connecting to the network.

I did watch the LED display on the Oppo itself during the power up sequence and the Oppo had already started loading the BD (as evidenced by the display reading BDMV) before the network icon appeared (this was all before the Oppo Main Menu screen became visible on my TV). During the Quick Start power up sequence the BDMV reading and the network icon appear simultaneously (which makes sense if the network connection is maintained even during power down). It's almost like in Energy Efficient mode the Oppo is loading the disc too quickly and there should be a second or two delay to allow the network connection to complete.

The Universal and Paramount titles frequently phone home well before they get to loading the menus to see if there are new Previews to stream. Even if there is no networking problem, they don't necessarily find them -- the studios have backed off their early enthusiasm for doing that -- but the discs look anyway.

You may be right that the disc loading is happening a bit too soon for Energy Efficient compared to the Network startup, but (1) that shouldn't lock up a properly authored disc, and (2) if it were true it would be easy for OPPO to reproduce. Seriously. If they told you they tried and couldn't duplicate what you are reporting you can believe it. They really do try what they say they are trying. Now, it could be they have not completely duplicated your player settings and cabling -- I don't know what exchanges you've had with them clarifying that.

I don't happen to have any Universal or Paramount titles handy as I write this, but for the heck of it I decided to try this with "The Simpson's Movie", which is a FOX title.

I'm using HDMI 1 (only), at explicit 1080p with Split A/V, 1080p/24 AUTO, LPCM Audio, YCbCr 4:4:4, Deep Color OFF (Dithered), 16:9 Wide/Auto, TV System Multi, 3D Mode AUTO, HDMI CEC OFF, and Wifi networking, BD Live ON, My Network ON, Gracenote ON. I also have a test USB stick plugged into the front port.

I powered up, Erased Persistent Storage, set Energy Efficient, put the disc in the Open tray, and powered down -- which also closes the Tray without ever starting to load the disc.

I then powered up.

On the subsequent power up (Energy Efficient), the disc loaded past the Previews to Top Menu without any problem.

With the disc now loaded, I power cycled again (Energy Efficient) with the disc stil in the tray, and once again it loaded past the Previews to Top Menu without any problem.

At this point I'm going to suggest you take a bigger hammer to the problem. This is a bit painful, because you'll have to re-enter your account credentials for any services you are using, but I'm going to suggest you do a complete Reset of the player. This is a good "first thing" to try whenever the player is behaving oddly -- particularly if others can't reproduce what you are seeing. To do that:

1) Remove any disc from the Tray
2) Go into Setup and jot down your personal settings if you don't have them memorized
3) Erase Persistent Storage
4) Reset Factory Defaults > Reset Accounts and Settings
5) When the Reset completes, exit the Setup menu and power down the player.
6) Pull the power plug for about 10 seconds <-- Do Not Skip This Step
7) Power up and re-enter your personal settings
8) Power down once more. Settings are saved during the power down cycle.

Now check and see if the same behavior is happening.
--Bob

post #6818 of 17812 Old 03-23-2013, 12:37 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

This has probably (hopefully) been reported before, but is anyone noticing some BD titles loading the menu screen without the textual menus? Whenever this happens, stopping and replaying the disc (from the home menu/screen) always resolves it on the second try. It's a minor inconvenience but frustrating nonetheless (and effectively doubles the disc-loading times). Maybe its time to clear the persistent storage.

Perhaps a full Reset of the player if simply Erasing Persistent Storage doesn't do the trick -- see my post just above.
--Bob

post #6819 of 17812 Old 03-23-2013, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

I had issues with one blu ray. it was from paramount. it was the thor movie. it would not load up on either my oppo 93 or the ps3. I was able to get a replacement from paramount. the new replacement is working good so far. like I said it was just one title.

Jacob
post #6820 of 17812 Old 03-23-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Anyone have any experience with the Bluraychip.dk PRO mod for the BDP-103?

I installed the chip and updated the Oppo firmware, then started to test the mod capabilities. The power button powers on the unit like normal, but the 1, 2, and 3 button (which are supposed to start the unit up in region A, B, or C, respectively) do not work well at all. Sometimes the player doesn't respond at all, and just stays off. Other times, it turns on but doesn't send any signal to the TV. Other times still, it turns on but appears to be loading veerrrrryyy slowly - keeping the large Oppo logo on the screen, and flashing as if changing resolutions, for a much longer time than usual before eventually getting to the home menu.

Once it finally does get to the home menu, the region has been changed, so technically it "works" - but the process getting there can require multiple restarts before the player loads up well. And even once it turns on correctly, the problem is not resolved - menus react sluggishly, future player power-ons can be equally slow, etc. Only after doing a factory reset in the player menu does the functionality return to normal. And then the issue starts all over again the next time I want to change regions.

I received the pro mod from bluraychip.dk well after 12/20/2012, but I followed their advice for attempting to update the mod's firmware anyway - to no avail. I put the files on the USB stick and loaded it into the front of the player, and the player just said USB IN and then did nothing with it - no updating, no power off. I also checked that both the player and the remote were set to remote code 1, and they were.

Any advice from someone who has successfully gotten this to work well?

side issue: What the heck button is "Setup"? The Oppo player menus reference this button, as does the mod chip instructions, but I cannot for the life of me find any button labeled "Setup" on the remote...
post #6821 of 17812 Old 03-23-2013, 07:45 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Reloaded View Post

side issue: What the heck button is "Setup"? The Oppo player menus reference this button, as does the mod chip instructions, but I cannot for the life of me find any button labeled "Setup" on the remote...

Lower left, above Resolution:

-Bill]
post #6822 of 17812 Old 03-23-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Doh, thanks. I guess after a night of troubleshooting my eyes were getting tired and continually glossed over the small buttons down there.
post #6823 of 17812 Old 03-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

I installed the chip and updated the Oppo firmware, then started to test the mod capabilities. The power button powers on the unit like normal, but the 1, 2, and 3 button (which are supposed to start the unit up in region A, B, or C, respectively) do not work well at all. Sometimes the player doesn't respond at all, and just stays off. Other times, it turns on but doesn't send any signal to the TV. Other times still, it turns on but appears to be loading veerrrrryyy slowly - keeping the large Oppo logo on the screen, and flashing as if changing resolutions, for a much longer time than usual before eventually getting to the home menu.

Once it finally does get to the home menu, the region has been changed, so technically it "works" - but the process getting there can require multiple restarts before the player loads up well. And even once it turns on correctly, the problem is not resolved - menus react sluggishly, future player power-ons can be equally slow, etc. Only after doing a factory reset in the player menu does the functionality return to normal. And then the issue starts all over again the next time I want to change regions.

I received the pro mod from bluraychip.dk well after 12/20/2012, but I followed their advice for attempting to update the mod's firmware anyway - to no avail. I put the files on the USB stick and loaded it into the front of the player, and the player just said USB IN and then did nothing with it - no updating, no power off. I also checked that both the player and the remote were set to remote code 1, and they were.

I don't have experience with the pro mod kit but I know the connectors needed for this and read the installation pdf. You have to check very thoroughly, that the cables are connected correctly - must fit into the connector straight 90 degrees and not in any other angle. Also the connectors have a lock you have to push that the cables have contact.
I mean, this is just an idea but could be a reason why this is not working. I mean the flat cables without a connector attached.
In doubt, you can also contact them. But may be there is another reason, why your mod kit is not working. Just an idea.

I ordered the standard kit but my player has a different circuit board layout. In this layout the most important connector for the mod kit is missing and bluraychip.dk took it back. Also Oppo UK confirmed this layout change.

Good luck
post #6824 of 17812 Old 03-23-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:

See my post below. You are having the exact same problem I have been reporting. Please report this to Oppo as they have told me that is not a common problem. There are several posts on here now reporting this problem. If you contact them this will further illustrate that this is a more widespread problem than they believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post

My issues so far with the Bdp-103 (connected via Hdmi to my Yamaha Rx-A3020 receiver).i just installed the 3020 receiver. It replaced an Onkyo . Same symptoms with either receiver. Both the Oppo and the Yamaha have latest fw. Tv is Pioneer Kuro Elite.

1. I went to play Star Wars BR Phantom Menace. When the main menu appeared, there was no option to hit play ,select language,bonus features,etc. nothing! I ejected disc and tried again. It worked this time. Same thing happened the next day.

2. I have several BR discs so far (and likely many more) that no audio plays whether I am bitstreaming or sending PCM.
This even happened when I went to watch the VUDU trailer of The Hobbit yesterday.
Luckily, I have the Bdp-93 still. It does not have these issues.

I experience the same thing you do with Stars Wars. In fact I can replicate this on all of my BD's. For me the problem occurs when powering on the Oppo with any BD already in the tray. Once powered on the player automatically loads the disc but the BD menus do not appear. I have dealt with OPPO on this and they claim they cannot replicate the problem. There are several other users who have posted here with similar problems. Please contact OPPO as when I contacted them they claimed they have not heard from others about this problem.

To get around the problem I have found a few options which work:

1. Disabling Internet connectivity gets rid of the problem.
2. Have the Oppo start using Quick Start as opposed to Energy Efficient. This gets rid of the problem. I use this method as I like Quick Start anyways.
3. Instead of ejecting your disc, try hitting stop and restart the disc from the Oppo menu. This works as well.

Again, please contact OPPO as they do not believe this is a common problem but would also not admit that my player is defective. It definitely appears to be Java related. I'm hoping a future firmware release will fix this but am not holding my breath.
post #6825 of 17812 Old 03-23-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:

I have the Pro-Chip and it works well for me. When I originally installed it I was having issues but I discovered I hadn't reseated the wide flat cable properly. You may want to check all of your cable connections.
post #6826 of 17812 Old 03-23-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:

The Universal and Paramount titles frequently phone home well before they get to loading the menus to see if there are new Previews to stream. Even if there is no networking problem, they don't necessarily find them -- the studios have backed off their early enthusiasm for doing that -- but the discs look anyway.

You may be right that the disc loading is happening a bit too soon for Energy Efficient compared to the Network startup, but (1) that shouldn't lock up a properly authored disc, and (2) if it were true it would be easy for OPPO to reproduce. Seriously. If they told you they tried and couldn't duplicate what you are reporting you can believe it. They really do try what they say they are trying. Now, it could be they have not completely duplicated your player settings and cabling -- I don't know what exchanges you've had with them clarifying that.

I don't happen to have any Universal or Paramount titles handy as I write this, but for the heck of it I decided to try this with "The Simpson's Movie", which is a FOX title.

I'm using HDMI 1 (only), at explicit 1080p with Split A/V, 1080p/24 AUTO, LPCM Audio, YCbCr 4:4:4, Deep Color OFF (Dithered), 16:9 Wide/Auto, TV System Multi, 3D Mode AUTO, HDMI CEC OFF, and Wifi networking, BD Live ON, My Network ON, Gracenote ON. I also have a test USB stick plugged into the front port.

I powered up, Erased Persistent Storage, set Energy Efficient, put the disc in the Open tray, and powered down -- which also closes the Tray without ever starting to load the disc.

I then powered up.

On the subsequent power up (Energy Efficient), the disc loaded past the Previews to Top Menu without any problem.

With the disc now loaded, I power cycled again (Energy Efficient) with the disc stil in the tray, and once again it loaded past the Previews to Top Menu without any problem.

At this point I'm going to suggest you take a bigger hammer to the problem. This is a bit painful, because you'll have to re-enter your account credentials for any services you are using, but I'm going to suggest you do a complete Reset of the player. This is a good "first thing" to try whenever the player is behaving oddly -- particularly if others can't reproduce what you are seeing. To do that:

1) Remove any disc from the Tray
2) Go into Setup and jot down your personal settings if you don't have them memorized
3) Erase Persistent Storage
4) Reset Factory Defaults > Reset Accounts and Settings
5) When the Reset completes, exit the Setup menu and power down the player.
6) Pull the power plug for about 10 seconds <-- Do Not Skip This Step
7) Power up and re-enter your personal settings
8) Power down once more. Settings are saved during the power down cycle.

Now check and see if the same behavior is happening.
--Bob

Bob, did everything as per your instructions above. It did not correct the problem. The discs that failed before still failed. I did try my copy of The Simpsons Movie (which I hadn't tested previously) and it did load properly, so apparently not all discs are affected as this and The Hobbit both work.. The Fox/MGM titles which weren't working last night were my James Bond titles. My two test discs (which always fail to load) are Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Snow White & The Huntsmen (I learned about these titles on the forums here from other users). Oppo tried their copy of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and could not replicate the problem. The problem exists for Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade as well (I didn't try Raiders). I also tested several other titles and found the same behaviour on Catch Me If You Can (Paramount), They Live (Shout Factory), several WWE Blu-rays etc. It happens more often than not.

Given the fact that in the last couple of days there have been 2 new posts from owners with the same exact same problem there has to be something to this issue. Is it possible there is a bad batch of players out there? There are now several owners in this forum alone reporting this behaviour.

My setup is similar but not identical to yours. I leave BD Live off (turning it on makes no difference, I have tried turning on and off all of the various network options, only the Internet option makes a difference), I connect via Ethernet but WiFi results in the same problem, I have a USB stick plugged into a back port (again unplugging it makes no difference), I also have a Pro Mod Chip (which I also disconnected with no difference noted).

Thanks again, I really appreciate your efforts.

Curt
post #6827 of 17812 Old 03-23-2013, 05:47 PM

Liked: 11
I have been having a problem with the sound on oppo playing blue ray titles. I have my oppo connected to my yamaha rx-a710 then to my tv. Recently the sound and picture have been out of sync. I am not sure how to go about fixing this. Any suggestions?

post #6828 of 17812 Old 03-23-2013, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Is there a lip sync control on the Yamaha?

Panny 65VT50 / DTV Genie / OPPO 103 / Roku 3 / Denon 1613 / Klipsch Quintet 5.0
post #6829 of 17812 Old 03-23-2013, 06:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarroll01 View Post

I have been having a problem with the sound on oppo playing blue ray titles. I have my oppo connected to my yamaha rx-a710 then to my tv. Recently the sound and picture have been out of sync. I am not sure how to go about fixing this. Any suggestions?
Are you running in "Split A/V" mode? Do you have video going to your display via HDMI-1 and audio going to your AVR via HDMI-2?

Or do you have both audio and video going to your AVR via HDMI-1? Sounds like this is your situation, from your problem description.

I've not experienced any lip-sync problem when playing BluRay movies, but that's because when I do watch BR movies I'm utilizing "Split A/V" with video out HDMI-1 and audio out HDMI-2. I have an external headphone system attached to HDMI-2 for when I want to do "serious watching and listening", as with BR movies. HDMI-1 video goes to my AVR and then on to either of two attached HDTV's for display.

I've only experienced lip-sync (and it is TERRIBLY ANNOYING, as it gets worse and worse over time) when I am NOT using both HDMI-1 and HDMI-2, i.e. when my external headphone system attached to HDMI-2 is powered off because I want to listen to sound through real speakers managed by my AVR. This triggers the 103 to move audio over to HDMI-1 so that both audio and video are now delivered out HDMI-1 to the AVR. And it is in this situation where I've seen lip-sync occur, when both audio and video are on HDMI-1 so that "Split A/V" is not in effect.

Note that I had thought it was tied to the use of external HDMI input, since it's really only when watching HDTV (from DVR through 103 external HDMI input and then on out the 103 to the AVR with both audio and video delivered via HDMI-1 to the AVR, for listening to HDTV sound via speakers) that I myself have ever noticed the lip-sync symptom. But if I activate audio on HDMI-2 (i.e. listening to HDTV audio via my external headphone system on HDMI-2) then I do NOT have a lip-sync problem.

So... the evidence points not to the use of external HDMI input to the 103 as the culprit. The evidence points to HDMI-1 being used for both audio and video (even if "Split A/V" is enabled, but when it is not active as HDMI-2 is powered off) as the culprit. I don't do that with BR movies as you apparently do (as I listen through headphones via HDMI-2 when watching BR movies) so I've not seen the symptom which you say you've got.

Anyway, there is an INSTANT WORKAROUND when this happens. When I am watching HDTV via DVR through the external HDMI input of the 103, and the lip-sync builds up to where it is obviously annoying, I just give a quick push of the "12-second skip-back" button or the "30-second skip-forward" button on my DVR's remote, possibly the two of them in sequence to get back to where I wanted to be watching.

Apparently just that brief break in digital audio coming from the DVR to the 103 BREAKS the flawed ongoing lip-sync situation, and restarts the 103 to once again be perfectly in-sync (at least until it possibly builds up again, at which time it's just rinse/repeat for the workaround trick).

This workaround trick for me with the DVR remote is 100% successful in getting audio/video back in sync coming out of the speakers. You could try a similar workaround with the 103's remote while watching BR movies, just to FF and then REW, to purge the buffers and restart from scratch.
post #6830 of 17812 Old 03-23-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:

See my post below. You are having the exact same problem I have been reporting. Please report this to Oppo as they have told me that is not a common problem. There are several posts on here now reporting this problem. If you contact them this will further illustrate that this is a more widespread problem than they believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post

My issues so far with the Bdp-103 (connected via Hdmi to my Yamaha Rx-A3020 receiver).i just installed the 3020 receiver. It replaced an Onkyo . Same symptoms with either receiver. Both the Oppo and the Yamaha have latest fw. Tv is Pioneer Kuro Elite.

1. I went to play Star Wars BR Phantom Menace. When the main menu appeared, there was no option to hit play ,select language,bonus features,etc. nothing! I ejected disc and tried again. It worked this time. Same thing happened the next day.

2. I have several BR discs so far (and likely many more) that no audio plays whether I am bitstreaming or sending PCM.
This even happened when I went to watch the VUDU trailer of The Hobbit yesterday.
Luckily, I have the Bdp-93 still. It does not have these issues.

I experience the same thing you do with Stars Wars. In fact I can replicate this on all of my BD's. For me the problem occurs when powering on the Oppo with any BD already in the tray. Once powered on the player automatically loads the disc but the BD menus do not appear. I have dealt with OPPO on this and they claim they cannot replicate the problem. There are several other users who have posted here with similar problems. Please contact OPPO as when I contacted them they claimed they have not heard from others about this problem.

To get around the problem I have found a few options which work:

1. Disabling Internet connectivity gets rid of the problem.
2. Have the Oppo start using Quick Start as opposed to Energy Efficient. This gets rid of the problem. I use this method as I like Quick Start anyways.
3. Instead of ejecting your disc, try hitting stop and restart the disc from the Oppo menu. This works as well.

Again, please contact OPPO as they do not believe this is a common problem but would also not admit that my player is defective. It definitely appears to be Java related. I'm hoping a future firmware release will fix this but am not holding my breath.
Interesting, I also have the Pioneer Kuro Elite TV, maybe that's the commonality. wink.gif I have a Pioneer Elite receiver also (older, SC-05), with no such audio problems as you're experiencing, however. Star Wars (Attack Of The Clones, gah) was the disc that initially failed to load for me as well, interestingly enough. I haven't had a chance to try any of the above-mentioned (or typically recommended solutions) yet (BD-Live is enabled and I also have no mod chip).
post #6831 of 17812 Old 03-23-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the Pro-Chip and it works well for me. When I originally installed it I was having issues but I discovered I hadn't reseated the wide flat cable properly. You may want to check all of your cable connections.

I will attempt to reseat all cables and see if that helps. Was it obvious upon second look for you, or did the flat cables appear to be seated perfectly properly and were just off by some minute amount?
post #6832 of 17812 Old 03-23-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:

Interesting, I also have the Pioneer Kuro Elite TV, maybe that's the commonality. wink.gif I have a Pioneer Elite receiver also (older, SC-05), with no such audio problems as you're experiencing, however. Star Wars (Attack Of The Clones, gah) was the disc that initially failed to load for me as well, interestingly enough. I haven't had a chance to try any of the above-mentioned (or typically recommended solutions) yet (BD-Live is enabled and I also have no mod chip).

I do not have a Pioneer Kuro Elite TV though my AVR is a Pioneer. Don't see how that would affect this problem.
post #6833 of 17812 Old 03-23-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:

I will attempt to reseat all cables and see if that helps. Was it obvious upon second look for you, or did the flat cables appear to be seated perfectly properly and were just off by some minute amount?

It was not obvious upon second look. It looked fine. I just undid all the connnections, reseated them and then it worked perfectly.
post #6834 of 17812 Old 03-23-2013, 11:39 PM

Sorry, must've misread your post in haste. Now I see, you quoted another in the same post who had my panel. The only difference between us being he had a Yamaha AVR and me a Pioneer AVR. The common link could be Pioneer-related and to possible HDMI revision incompatibilities (I get single audio/video dropouts when watching special features for instance).
post #6835 of 17812 Old 03-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
So far I have had 100% issues with every disc I have thrown in this turd of a player. Now it's the classic no audio unless I switch my receiver to another input and then back to the Oppo. I tried turning off or on every thing possible in every combination. My Oppo 93 continues to work like a charm. It never had issue on this level,then again,nothing I have every owned has. You think I'm a bit disappointed?

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #6836 of 17812 Old 03-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Interesting, I also have the Pioneer Kuro Elite TV, maybe that's the commonality. wink.gif

The "commonality" is that we all own this sorry excuse of a player.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #6837 of 17812 Old 03-24-2013, 01:15 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post

So far I have had 100% issues with every disc I have thrown in this turd of a player. Now it's the classic no audio unless I switch my receiver to another input and then back to the Oppo. I tried turning off or on every thing possible in every combination. My Oppo 93 continues to work like a charm. It never had issue on this level,then again,nothing I have every owned has. You think I'm a bit disappointed?

Are you asking us for help? Have you asked OPPO for help? Have you thought of returning it and moving on to something else?

-Bill
post #6838 of 17812 Old 03-24-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

Interesting, I also have the Pioneer Kuro Elite TV, maybe that's the commonality. wink.gif
Quote:

Out of interest. When were these Pioneer Kuro Elite TV made. And when was their last firmware update?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #6839 of 17812 Old 03-24-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I've high lighted the only thing that's clear about your post other than your anger. It's also clear that you don't want help because you've provided no information about what's causing your anger.

EDIT: I've gone back and read your 103 posts so I understand that you sent an email to OPPO. I don't know if you got a reply. I also know that what ever your problem is, it's happening with all your Blu-ray disks. I also know that you think that you've tried every possible combination of settings. I don't know if you've followed a systematic method of diagnosing your problem, with or without help from OPPO.

It seems to an ill informed outsider that your problem is either a defective OPPO or there is something wrong with your setup.
post #6840 of 17812 Old 03-24-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Out of interest. When were these Pioneer Kuro Elite TV made. And when was their last firmware update?
Very early 2009 or sometime in 2008.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page