Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Deaf View Post

Zero problems with my "turd." Works like a charm. biggrin.gif
There must be something wrong with your setup. Check WiFi at once! eek.gif

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6843 of 18480 Old 03-24-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post

So far I have had 100% issues with every disc I have thrown in this turd of a player. Now it's the classic no audio unless I switch my receiver to another input and then back to the Oppo. I tried turning off or on every thing possible in every combination. My Oppo 93 continues to work like a charm. It never had issue on this level,then again,nothing I have every owned has. You think I'm a bit disappointed?

I don't have any such problems with my 103 and have had it since it became available from oppo in late 2012. The obvious thing to do is make a toll call to oppo in California: (650) 961-1118, during the week. That is a lot faster than e-mail.
post #6844 of 18480 Old 03-24-2013, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Are you asking us for help? Have you asked OPPO for help? Have you thought of returning it and moving on to something else?

-Bill

No Bill,not asking for help today. Just another voice of discontentment and frustration with this player.
Your response to everyone who is not happy with their Oppo in its current state is to suggest they move on to another product.
I'm not moving on at this time. This player is not performing up to their usual standards. Is this thread this long this early in the game because its working like a charm ?

I have informed Oppo of my issues. Their response was rather generic. With many similar complaints on this forum,I would think at this point in time that they would at least acknowledge the issues and state that a fix is being worked on.

All I know as John Q Custumer and not an Oppo beta tester, is that my Oppo 93 does not nor ever did have issues like these. So up to this point, it is "a turd" to me until its fixed. I guess I feel that they should have a firm grip on these problems by now and not tell people "we never heard of this" as others have mentioned here.

I give Oppo a big thumbs up for customer support,but issues at this level rarely,if ever, occur with the major manufacturers. Yes,they have their share but not like these (at least in my experience).

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #6845 of 18480 Old 03-24-2013, 02:34 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:

Quote:

Are you asking us for help? Have you asked OPPO for help? Have you thought of returning it and moving on to something else?

-Bill

No Bill,not asking for help today. Just another voice of discontentment and frustration with this player.

This is not OPPO's complaint department. Technical Q&A only here. If you need help we'll try but your attitude makes it difficult.
Quote:
Your response to everyone who is not happy with their Oppo in its current state is to suggest they move on to another product.

Sure makes like easier.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #6846 of 18480 Old 03-24-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

I give Oppo a big thumbs up for customer support,but issues at this level rarely,if ever, occur with the major manufacturers. Yes,they have their share but not like these (at least in my experience).
I don't know what you intend, but what you write sounds like there are some normal functions, like play Blu-ray disks, that no BDP-103 can perform and that, unlike their track record, OPPO is ignoring these model wide serious problems.

Maybe I'm not reading carefully enough, but that's my current impression. From your posts, it seemed to me that you mentioned a problem in December, and then went to "turd" mode two or three days ago. Again, I may not have read carefully enough.

Calibration Resources:

post #6847 of 18480 Old 03-24-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdittmer View Post

It was not obvious upon second look. It looked fine. I just undid all the connnections, reseated them and then it worked perfectly.

I just reseated every cable involved in the bluraychip.dk pro mod installation, making sure to be extra careful. Unfortunately, my problem is unchanged.

I've played around with it a bit more, and it seems the startup problems only occur when using the 1, 2, or 3 buttons to switch the region. When doing that, the player might take a super long time to start up, or it might freeze (and if it freezes, the next startup takes super long). But once the region has changed, subsequent startups seem OK (assuming I use the normal power button), and the region does stay changed.

Does this match your experiences at all?
post #6848 of 18480 Old 03-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is not OPPO's complaint department. Technical Q&A only here. If you need help we'll try but your attitude makes it difficult.

-Bill

I will hence forth march to the beat of your drum . Thank you kindly.

post #6849 of 18480 Old 03-24-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

-Bill

I will hence forth march to the beat of your drum . Thank you kindly.
If you're turdin, you ain't learnin. biggrin.gif

Calibration Resources:

post #6850 of 18480 Old 03-24-2013, 04:12 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Reloaded View Post

I just reseated every cable involved in the bluraychip.dk pro mod installation, making sure to be extra careful. Unfortunately, my problem is unchanged.

I've played around with it a bit more, and it seems the startup problems only occur when using the 1, 2, or 3 buttons to switch the region. When doing that, the player might take a super long time to start up, or it might freeze (and if it freezes, the next startup takes super long). But once the region has changed, subsequent startups seem OK (assuming I use the normal power button), and the region does stay changed.

Does this match your experiences at all?

Startup when using the 1,2 or 3 button does take longer than a regular start up. The screen will flash a couple of times and eventually the Oppo main menu appears. I have never experienced a freeze at startup but I don't change my Blu-ray region very often and once changed the DVD region remains at 0.
post #6851 of 18480 Old 03-24-2013, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

LOL! smile.gif

Panny 65VT50 / DTV Genie / OPPO 103 / Roku 3 / Denon 1613 / Klipsch Quintet 5.0
post #6852 of 18480 Old 03-24-2013, 05:05 PM

Liked: 11
I have the similar problems hifi59 has.. Mine is only no audio on blu-ray only. DVD's play fine, Netflix is fine. I have not called or e-mailed them because its a known issue with the player an my Yamaha RX-A2020 and I am just waiting on a patch. Weird thing is it never happened the first three weeks I had it. Do you think I should try reseating or replacing the HDMI cable? I used the one that came with it. I can work around the issue by switching sources back and forth. I like the player because its so much faster than my old Panasonic player I had.
post #6853 of 18480 Old 03-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Good one!

post #6854 of 18480 Old 03-24-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsamples View Post

I have the similar problems hifi59 has.. Mine is only no audio on blu-ray only. DVD's play fine, Netflix is fine.
Are you saying there is no audio at all if you're trying to play a Blu-ray disk unless you switch to another source and than back to the BDP-103 player. If that's right, does the Blu-ray disk play all the way through without audio problems once you switch back?
Quote:
I have not called or e-mailed them because its a known issue with the player an my Yamaha RX-A2020 and I am just waiting on a patch.
I would send carefully prepared and accurate setup information to this thread, Yamaha, and OPPO.
Quote:
Weird thing is it never happened the first three weeks I had it.
Something had to change. That might indicate a stressed connection.
Quote:
Do you think I should try reseting or replacing the HDMI cable?
It's always a good idea to reset the HDMI connections. I would also examine each connection in the entire chain for any stress on the connections caused by the stiffness or the weight of the HDMI cables that you are using. HDMI problems can be cause anywhere in the complete chain of connections from the player to the display.

If you suspect that any of your connection you might want to check out these cables. They are very light weight and flexible.

Redmere HDMI cables at Monoprice

Calibration Resources:

post #6855 of 18480 Old 03-24-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

Good one!
You seem to be back with us. biggrin.gif

Calibration Resources:

post #6856 of 18480 Old 03-24-2013, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

I never left. Sometimes, things are blown out of proportion.

post #6857 of 18480 Old 03-24-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:

Are you saying there is no audio at all if you're trying to play a Blu-ray disk unless you switch to another source and than back to the BDP-103 player. If that's right, does the Blu-ray disk play all the way through without audio problems once you switch back?
I would send carefully prepared and accurate setup information to this thread, Yamaha, and OPPO.
It's always a good idea to reset the HDMI connections. I would also examine each connection in the entire chain for any stress on the connections caused by the stiffness or the weight of the HDMI cables that you are using. HDMI problems can be cause anywhere in the complete chain of connections from the player to the display.

If you suspect that any of your connection you might want to check out these cables. They are very light weight and flexible.

They will usually play audio up until the main menu and then on some it will loop the audio on the main menu.. On others it will loop ad then stop at some point. Most blu-rays will not play any audio until I switch back and forth on the sources. But every now and then it will play a blu-ray fine all the way though. Seems not to make a difference if its on auto, bitstream, etc. Now on DVD's this week it has not had any audio issues. I assumed it was a handshake issue. I have not tried messing with any cables or anything. I could try swapping them out though.
post #6858 of 18480 Old 03-24-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

They will usually play audio up until the main menu and then on some it will loop the audio on the main menu.. On others it will loop ad then stop at some point. Most blu-rays will not play any audio until I switch back and forth on the sources. But every now and then it will play a blu-ray fine all the way though. Seems not to make a difference if its on auto, bitstream, etc. Now on DVD's this week it has not had any audio issues. I assumed it was a handshake issue. I have not tried messing with any cables or anything. I could try swapping them out though.
Just remember that HDMI problems can be caused by any connection in the entire string. Connections! Connections! Connections! smile.gif

Intermittent failures are frequently caused by connections and bandwidth problems which can also contribute to handshake trouble.

Calibration Resources:

post #6859 of 18480 Old 03-24-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:

Just remember that HDMI problems can be caused by any connection in the entire string. Connections! Connections! Connections! smile.gif

Intermittent failures are frequently caused by connections and bandwidth problems which can also contribute to handshake trouble.
I'll swap them out when I get the chance. I figured it was an oppo / Yamaha issue since I have read others having the issue as well.
post #6860 of 18480 Old 03-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Quote:

I'll swap them out when I get the chance. I figured it was an oppo / Yamaha issue since I have read others having the issue as well.

Send an email to OPPO Tech Support with a description of what's happening and the model number of your Yamaha. If it is a known issue with your Yamaha, they'll be able to confirm it for you right away, and may even have a test firmware they can offer for your 103 to see if if fixes the problem. That could save you doing the cable swaps. Now, you may STILL have a cabling issue -- i.e., independent of what might be going on in the Yamaha. But one step at a time....
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #6861 of 18480 Old 03-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdittmer View Post

Bob, did everything as per your instructions above. It did not correct the problem. The discs that failed before still failed. I did try my copy of The Simpsons Movie (which I hadn't tested previously) and it did load properly, so apparently not all discs are affected as this and The Hobbit both work.. The Fox/MGM titles which weren't working last night were my James Bond titles. My two test discs (which always fail to load) are Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Snow White & The Huntsmen (I learned about these titles on the forums here from other users). Oppo tried their copy of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and could not replicate the problem. The problem exists for Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade as well (I didn't try Raiders). I also tested several other titles and found the same behaviour on Catch Me If You Can (Paramount), They Live (Shout Factory), several WWE Blu-rays etc. It happens more often than not.

Given the fact that in the last couple of days there have been 2 new posts from owners with the same exact same problem there has to be something to this issue. Is it possible there is a bad batch of players out there? There are now several owners in this forum alone reporting this behaviour.

My setup is similar but not identical to yours. I leave BD Live off (turning it on makes no difference, I have tried turning on and off all of the various network options, only the Internet option makes a difference), I connect via Ethernet but WiFi results in the same problem, I have a USB stick plugged into a back port (again unplugging it makes no difference), I also have a Pro Mod Chip (which I also disconnected with no difference noted).

Thanks again, I really appreciate your efforts.

Curt

If it were a player batch problem there would be WAY more than a couple of complaints. These things are made in big batches.

I just want to confirm that if you turn off Networking altogether in the OPPO Setup the problem does not happen, right? And with Networking turned on in Setup, the problem happens with EITHER Ethernet or Wifi attached, right?

Next step: Go into Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information and compare the version numbers for ALL THREE parts of the firmware (Main, Loader, Sub/MCU) to the versions shown on the OPPO Support page for the 103. I'm particularly interested in your checking that the Loader and Sub/MCU parts are up to date. (Sub/MCU, for example, manages things like how the player powers up.)

I'm also going to ask you to test again with BD-Live ON (as well as Networking ON), but with one more proviso: Before powering down, stop the disc that's in the tray and then go into Setup and Erase Persistent Storage. Then do your Energy Efficient power cycle. There are known cases of poorly authored discs that get unhappy if they discover the player has Networking ON but BD-Live OFF. That same disc's authoring may leave stuff in Persistent Storage in that case which affects subsequent tries.

Also confirm that you've tried a test with GraceNote lookup OFF. This is another type of networking action that happens while the disc is loading (i.e., the player attempts to retrieve GraceNote data on that disc).

And also confirm that you've tried a test with Firmware Notification turned OFF. Again that's a type of networking action that happens during power up.

This still looks to me to be a networking related problem. We just haven't found the right part of your network setup to kick yet.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #6862 of 18480 Old 03-24-2013, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:

The "commonality" is that we all own this sorry excuse of a player.
Things aren't perfect, but they're sitting pretty compared to you. wink.gif I have no audio difficulties, just an occasional failure of the text in the disc menus to load (hadn't happened since my last report on the matter). It sounds like you have quite the lemon or compatibility problem on your end, unfortunately.
post #6863 of 18480 Old 03-25-2013, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

If it were a player batch problem there would be WAY more than a couple of complaints. These things are made in big batches.

--Bob

I am able to duplicate the problem with Phantom Menace and Temple of Doom on my 103. Many 103 owners may not even know there is an issue if, like me, they don't normally leave discs in the player in a powered off state. I didn't notice until I read about it here and decided to check it out.

I will be contacting Oppo.

X
post #6864 of 18480 Old 03-25-2013, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 152
I have had occasional loss of audio on Blu Rays, but mid-stream in a movie ...I contacted Oppo, and they said it's related to branching Blu Rays, and to use LPCM out from the Oppo instead of the bitstreaming. It did not matter to them that I noted two other stand-alone blu ray players and a PS3 did not have the same issue.

It happened on some Pixar titles, and also TDKR (is that a branching title?)

Anyway, Oppo support can get a little turgid when they fear they're about to go down a rabbit hole...I should be able to bitstream without losing audio, no?

post #6865 of 18480 Old 03-25-2013, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
On the topic of having problems playing Blu-Rays I don't think this one has been mentioned yet and this is flat out the only problem I've had with this player. It involves the disc Sunshine. The movie loads and plays but I cannot turn off the directors commentary. Any ideas?
post #6866 of 18480 Old 03-25-2013, 07:04 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolratt View Post

On the topic of having problems playing Blu-Rays I don't think this one has been mentioned yet and this is flat out the only problem I've had with this player. It involves the disc Sunshine. The movie loads and plays but I cannot turn off the directors commentary. Any ideas?

The disc menu setup doesn't turn it off? Can you select a different track with the Audio popup control on the remote?

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #6867 of 18480 Old 03-25-2013, 07:07 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

I should be able to bitstream without losing audio, no?

Yes, although problems with bitstreaming on some recent titles have been widely reported on multiple players. This is the studios' fault in that they introduced new techniques without wide testing.

Even Sony recommends LPCM on their own titles on their own affected players.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #6868 of 18480 Old 03-25-2013, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Bill,
Thanks for your response! That's the weird thing is that the commentary is not selected. Even when I go in and de-select it it doesn't help. I'll try the popup menu.
Ricky
post #6869 of 18480 Old 03-25-2013, 07:31 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolratt View Post

Bill,
Thanks for your response! That's the weird thing is that the commentary is not selected. Even when I go in and de-select it it doesn't help. I'll try the popup menu.
Ricky

I see that disc has picture-in-picture commentary. Maybe that is enabled through some other disc menu? You might try turning off Secondary Audio in the player to see if that fixes it.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #6870 of 18480 Old 03-25-2013, 08:49 AM

I received my 103 last week and it is working as I hoped it would with one exception.

I am using SMB shares to access some of my discs and I can play the files without any issues except if they have an xml metadata file that was generated by a WDTV Live box.

It appears that the 103 reads the xml and tries to connect to sites such as youtube that are referenced in the xml.

When I clcik to run the mkv, I get a blank screen and nothing else. My guess it is waiting for a network response and not getting it.
Just a few keys on the remote work while it is waiting. Unfortunately, I have to power-off and then power-on to get the player to respond.

I delete the xml and the mkv runs without any problems.

I would like to keep the meta data because I still use the WDTVs.

Is there anyway to make the 103 ignore the metadata?

Thanks
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Se50uy04 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page