post #6931 of 18704 Old 03-26-2013, 07:47 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

^ thanks for the quick response. Is the mkv file support going to go away anytime soon?

That's unlikely, but no one knows for sure. If the studios believe their titles are being widely copied that way, they will certainly do what they can to stop it.

The most obvious first step would be to require Cinavia detection in MKV; I'm surprised it's not done already. But Sony is the big dog in Cinavia and even their players are not detecting it in MKV yet.

-Bill
lap777 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6932 of 18704 Old 03-26-2013, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No more pops! The beta alone is worth it to me for that reason.
post #6933 of 18704 Old 03-26-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiguej View Post

Oppo Team,

I am about to purchase the OPPO 103 and I am wondering if there is anything that I need to watch out for. I am technically challenged so I not want to have to adjust anything once I get my system setup. (which I am having someone else do). I will be using the Pioneer Elite SC-55. Are there any watchouts I should be aware of?

Thanks in advacne for your support and feedback.

Jim
If you will have access to the HDMI cables, after your system is setup, that will make changes a lot easier. There's a lot of information in the first post of this thread that your or your installers can check.

If it's the Geek Squad, I hope you have a resident angel to watch over you.

If you want to have fewer potential problems with your overall system, I recommend that you require your installers to use these HDMI cables. They are very flexible and light weight, which prevents some of the hard to diagnose HDMI connection problems.

RedMere HDMI Cables at Monoprice

If you post information about how you plan to use your OPPO, that will help get better advise. Today's big firmware release is having an impact on OPPO owners. It might be a good idea to post again later. Again, the more information about how you expect to use the OPPO, the better response you will get. Right now the people with the best information for you are a bit distracted. biggrin.gif
post #6934 of 18704 Old 03-26-2013, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2channelguy View Post

I'll try to find the reviews for you but there have been a couple that say the analog outputs are they way to go for SACD. I bought the 103 to use only for SACD playback .. no movies, dvd audio, etc. I'm using the analog outputs and the sound is great.

Please repost the reviews here in the thread when you locate them!
post #6935 of 18704 Old 03-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 907
Time for the usual reminders:

First, for Our Far Flung Correspondents: The 0323B Public Beta firmware just posted on the OPPO Digital site here in the US is for the North American model players only. In particular, if you have a European model BDP-103EU or BDP-105EU player, you will need to wait for OPPO UK to post the firmware to their web site.

Also note carefully that if you install this Public Beta firmware, you will *NOT* be able to roll back to the prior "official" firmware (or any earlier firmware). If you install the Public Beta and encounter a serious problem that might lead you to want to roll back, get in touch with OPPO Tech Support instead. They will likely be able to describe a way to work around the issue, or get you a NEWER firmware in fairly short order that addresses the issue. Do not install this Public Beta firmware unless you are OK with this.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6936 of 18704 Old 03-26-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Release date: March 26, 2013

2. Due to the extensive changes in this major firmware update, it is required that the user performs a "Reset Factory Defaults" operation after the firmware is installed. Please write down your special settings before doing this, and remember to re-apply your settings and adjust the proper volume level (if applicable) before you play any content. You may experience stability issues if this step is not performed.

I don't get it,why should I reset factory defaults if I'm updating my player? Doesn't resetting the player's factory default return's the player to it's out of the box state/version ?!!
lanping09 likes this.
post #6937 of 18704 Old 03-26-2013, 10:12 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddmania View Post

Quote:

2. Due to the extensive changes in this major firmware update, it is required that the user performs a "Reset Factory Defaults" operation after the firmware is installed. Please write down your special settings before doing this, and remember to re-apply your settings and adjust the proper volume level (if applicable) before you play any content. You may experience stability issues if this step is not performed.

I don't get it,why should I reset factory defaults if I'm updating my player? Doesn't resetting the player's factory default return's the player to it's out of the box state/version ?!!

No. A Reset Factory Defaults does not re-install the older firmware. It simply sets all of the Setup menu settings to their factory default values, and, depending on which flavor of Reset you choose when you do it, it also erases any previously recorded account log-in information for things like Netflix -- useful to start afresh, or when you are selling the player and don't want the buyer to be able to use your accounts.

In this new firmware, the valid combinations of Setup settings has changed. Doing the Reset after the install makes sure you are starting off with good default settings, which you can then change back to your desired, personal settings.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #6938 of 18704 Old 03-26-2013, 10:13 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:

Your settings and your firmware are different things. Firmware is the software that runs the player, the settings are within your firmware. By resetting your settings, you are not touching the firmware, but merely how the firmware manages the hardware through the settings you have chosen (such as Crossover).

edit: Bob beat me to it :p

post #6939 of 18704 Old 03-26-2013, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Hugs and kisses to you, too, Big Hollywood.
post #6940 of 18704 Old 03-26-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

No. A Reset Factory Defaults does not re-install the older firmware. It simply sets all of the Setup menu settings to their factory default values, and, depending on which flavor of Reset you choose when you do it, it also erases any previously recorded account log-in information for things like Netflix -- useful to start afresh, or when you are selling the player and don't want the buyer to be able to use your accounts.

In this new firmware, the valid combinations of Setup settings has changed. Doing the Reset after the install makes sure you are starting off with good default settings, which you can then change back to your desired, personal settings.
--Bob

So I have to write down all my previous setting's and configuration's and do them all over again frown.gif
Do I have to do that every time OPPO releases an update?
One more thing,what do they mean by beta?correct me if I'm wrong but from what I know beta is an unfinalized update that they release to the public to see how they'll react to it and solve's the issue's that come's with it.
post #6941 of 18704 Old 03-26-2013, 10:23 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post

Since my Pioneer Kuro dictates that I use Rgb color space from my Blu-ray players (per S&M multi-burst patern) I should be ok using hdmi 2?

FWIW, I asked Jeff Meier, the highly respected calibrator who originally did my Kuro and also did a touch up, and he
doesn't buy that RGB is better for the Kuro. He claimed there is no difference.

I know a lot of people feel differently, and Jeff could be wrong, but the guy certainly has calibrated hundreds of
Kuros and knows his stuff....
post #6942 of 18704 Old 03-26-2013, 10:32 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Quote:

--Bob

So I have to write down all my previous setting's and configuration's and do them all over again frown.gif
Do I have to do that every time OPPO releases an update?
One more thing,what do they mean by beta?correct me if I'm wrong but from what I know beta is an unfinalized update that they release to the public to see how they'll react to it and solve's the issue's that come's with it.

Yes, you have to re-enter your personal settings after the Reset. In the Unofficial FAQ (link available at the top of the first post of this thread), Bill has included a link to a Setup settings "Checklist" that may make it faster for you to record your current settings, where they differ from the Default values.

NORMALLY a new firmware install does NOT require a Reset, although I still RECOMMEND you do a Reset after each firmware install as it guarantees the player is starting from a known state after the install. In the past, there have been cases where problems after an install could be easily fixed by doing a Reset. So doing the Reset as a matter of course is kind of insurance against some such situation -- which might not be discovered until after more people are using the firmware. In THIS case OPPO knows that the settings need to Reset, and so it has included that requirement as part of the firmware installation instructions for the 0323B Public Beta.

OPPO puts the firmware through a variety of testing before it becomes "official". The last stage of that is offering the firmware as a Public Beta for users in general to install if they'd like early access to the firmware and are OK with the fact that some issues may yet be discovered in it. Public Beta firmware can only be installed by the USB or burned-disc methods. The player will not offer it for Network install to players running the current, "official" firmware, so that users don't unknowingly install it without realizing it is a Beta and being presented with the change list and special notices. Depending on reports that come in from folks using the 0323B Public Beta, it may be renamed as the new "official" firmware as-is, or it may become "official" with some additional fixes based on reports, or an entirely new Public Beta may be issued typically because of more substantial fixes.
--Bob

post #6943 of 18704 Old 03-26-2013, 10:37 PM
Read the FAQ!

Treasure Hunt!

There are a variety of bug fixes in the 0323B Public Beta firmware which are not explicitly listed in the Release Notes.

For example, A-B Repeat now works on the AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray.

As usual, finding these is an exercise to the interested reader. Collect them all!
--Bob

post #6944 of 18704 Old 03-26-2013, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Airport Extreme and other Apple products going into the digital coaxial and optical inputs should now work properly now when using the analog outputs as well. OPPO changed the acceptable range of jitter to compensate for the horrible signal generated by Apple products.
post #6945 of 18704 Old 03-26-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:

Public Beta firmware can only be installed by the USB or burned-disc methods.The player will not offer it for Network install to players running the current, "official" firmware, so that users don't unknowingly install it without realizing it is a Beta and being presented with the change list and special notices. Depending on reports that come in from folks using the 0323B Public Beta, it may be renamed as the new "official" firmware as-is, or it may become "official" with some additional fixes based on reports, or an entirely new Public Beta may be issued typically because of more substantial fixes.
--Bob

Thanks for the information so far,One more thing can I downloaded directly to the player via network or do I have to downloaded on a USB or burn it a disc then install it on the player as you mentioned above?
If I have to use a USB or a burned-disc where can I download the firmware from/

Thank's Bob.
post #6946 of 18704 Old 03-26-2013, 11:19 PM

Liked: 11
I will be ordering my 103 this week. can't wait to get it.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition mediocre minds..." A. Einstein
post #6947 of 18704 Old 03-26-2013, 11:21 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:

Thanks for the information so far,One more thing can I downloaded directly to the player via network or do I have to downloaded on a USB or burn it a disc then install it on the player as you mentioned above?
If I have to use a USB or a burned-disc where can I download the firmware from/

Thank's Bob.

As stated in Bob's post that you quoted:

The player will not offer it for Network install to players running the current, "official" firmware.

That being said, you can download the firmware to USB from here: http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103-Support.aspx

post #6948 of 18704 Old 03-26-2013, 11:28 PM
Read the FAQ!

SACD playback via HDMI is no longer screwed up if a new HDMI handshake happens for any reason.

The Screen Saver now has the correct geometry if it kicks in when you have paused an SD-DVD -- no stuff showing through on the right edge of the screen any more.

Enabling DTS Neo:6 no longer lowers the sample rate of the digital audio processing when you are playing multi-channel content. If you are playing STEREO content then DTS Neo:6 will still lower the digital audio sample rate to 48KHz or 44.1KHz depending on the original rate of the digital audio -- this is an expected side-effect of the Neo:6 processing, and happens on the digital audio outputs as well even though Neo:6 itself has no effect on those outputs. Thus you should ONLY enable DTS Neo:6 Mode when you actually want to use it to raise Stereo content to 5.1 or 7.1 output on the multi-channel Analog outputs. But if you forget, and leave it enabled, it will no longer alter playback of multi-channel content in any fashion.

Several obscure bugs related to the Crossover frequency setting's interaction with the Speaker Configuration settings have been fixed. I'm not going to try to detail the complexities here. None of them have been mentioned in this thread, which doesn't surprise me as they likely wouldn't be noticeable in "normal" use.

The Media browser now ignores the "secondary files" that the Mac adds when putting files on a USB drive which is FAT formatted. These secondary files -- one each per real file, with a name that begins with a "." -- carry additional information about the file that the Mac uses, but which can not be recorded in the directory structure of a FAT drive. The upshot is that you no longer need to run a utility to strip these off your USB drive to keep these non-playable files from cluttering up the Media browser.
--Bob

post #6949 of 18704 Old 03-26-2013, 11:43 PM
Read the FAQ!

The HDMI Inputs now properly recognize SD input which is flagged as 4:3 aspect ratio. If you have 16:9 Wide/Auto set with 1080p output resolution for example, the player will now correctly add Pillar Box Bars as part of the upscaling to maintain the original aspect ratio.
--Bob

post #6950 of 18704 Old 03-26-2013, 11:53 PM
Read the FAQ!

The Rhapsody app no longer skips over content within a track during playback of long tracks (e.g., 7 minutes or longer).

There are still instances of repeatable, brief audio glitches during Rhapsody playback which OPPO Engineering is working on.
--Bob

post #6951 of 18704 Old 03-27-2013, 12:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks for the information so far,
If you down load the default settings that Bob pointed you to, all you have to do is note the changes that you've personally made. Then the only entries that you have to reenter are those that you previously changed. I keep that information in print form, but you can also keep it as a text tile. It takes only a couple of minutes to enter the changes. wink.gif

I alway used the USB drive method. It's clean and easy to do, and you don't have to start over if the Internet goes down. If you turn off auto update, you can control any new official firmware changes until you are sure that you want them.

Some BDP-9x owners are still back at September and December 2011 firmware versions because they didn't want to loose a valuable feature. So far, nothing has come along that has caused them trouble. The BDP-10x models seem to still have worthwhile firmware changes in their future.
post #6952 of 18704 Old 03-27-2013, 12:18 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiguej View Post

Oppo Team,

I am about to purchase the OPPO 103 and I am wondering if there is anything that I need to watch out for. I am technically challenged so I not want to have to adjust anything once I get my system setup. (which I am having someone else do). I will be using the Pioneer Elite SC-55. Are there any watchouts I should be aware of?

Thanks in advacne for your support and feedback.

Jim

Jim, you are purchasing a product with *LOTS* of features and capabilities. Odds are you will want to do adjustments after it is installed according to your preferred way of using it and the type of content you like to play. There will also be periodic firmware updates to install, which typically should be followed by a Reset Factory Defaults -- meaning you'll need to record and renter your preferred Setup menu settings.

Although you can certainly treat the player as "set it once and forget about it", you might be happier with a cheaper and simpler player if that's your intent.

But even for the technically challenged, using the OPPO is not that complicated to understand. And OPPO provides an excellent Manual with the player that even explains the "why" of many of the settings. Just approach it a bit at a time, and understand that the Default settings are a good starting point -- so you can use those until you discover a good reason to want to change something.

If you know how to view a PDF File on your computer (e.g., Adobe Reader app, or Apple's Preview app on the Mac) you can download a copy of the 103's Manual from the OPPO site and get started familiarizing yourself:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103-Support.aspx

Also, at the top of the first post of this thread you will find links to the "OPPO Wiki" and the "Unofficial FAQ" which collect lots of useful tips, tricks, and information. Definitely worth a look NOW just so you know the sort of stuff that's in there. Then remember to go back and refer to them again if a question comes up.

And of course you can also ask questions here!

Since you are having someone else do the initial install and setup, it's hard to say what to watch out for, as there's no way for us to know whether your installer is already familiar with this player or not, and knows what to do to check that his setup is actually working as intended.

So really, the best advice is to at least browse the Manual and FAQ now, and then BE THERE while the installer is setting things up so you can see what he's doing and discuss any choices he is making for you.
--Bob

post #6953 of 18704 Old 03-27-2013, 12:19 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Quote:

The HDMI Inputs now properly recognize SD input which is flagged as 4:3 aspect ratio. If you have 16:9 Wide/Auto set with 1080p output resolution for example, the player will now correctly add Pillar Box Bars as part of the upscaling to maintain the original aspect ratio.
--Bob
I don't recall that ever being a problem with the 9x players. I've used those settings from day one. smile.gif

You have a 93 with HDMI *INPUTS*? Gosh!

biggrin.gif

--Bob

post #6954 of 18704 Old 03-27-2013, 12:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Quote:

--Bob
I don't recall that ever being a problem with the 9x players. I've used those settings from day one. smile.gif

You have a 93 with HDMI *INPUTS*? Gosh!

biggrin.gif

--Bob
Where's the delete command? Someone is impersonating me. Help! POLICE! eek.gif

Busted for sloppy sloppy reading. I was hypnotized!

Oh? Hi Bob! smile.gif
post #6955 of 18704 Old 03-27-2013, 12:31 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ I've found it useful to blame such stuff on my evil twin brother, Skippy....
--Bob

post #6956 of 18704 Old 03-27-2013, 12:58 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Category: Latest Public Beta Test Release
Main Version: BDP10X-50-0323B
Loader Version: 6U0900 or 7B0800 (BDP-103), 7B0800 (BDP-105)
Sub Version: MCU103-05-0916 (BDP-103), MCU105-04-1113 (BDP-105)

Release Notes:

Special Notice:

Hmmm...I was hoping for the ability to completely disable Noise Reduction (HDMI1) ...frown.gif
post #6957 of 18704 Old 03-27-2013, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Does anyone know if the new beta firmware is supposed to fix the HDMI audio handshaking issue? (The one where the current workaround is to set the player to output LPCM...) - It is not mentioned in the release notes...
post #6958 of 18704 Old 03-27-2013, 02:22 AM

Liked: 10
Lets hope they get the audio-picture lag right this time!!!!
Such a big issue in a disc player, it's mandatory not to have lag between these two things.

Best regards Anders Berg
post #6959 of 18704 Old 03-27-2013, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Bob, does the beta firmware fix the downmix stereo bug for the dedicated stereo outputs (where you have to toggle back and forth for it to work properly)?
post #6960 of 18704 Old 03-27-2013, 05:36 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

Bob, does the beta firmware fix the downmix stereo bug for the dedicated stereo outputs (where you have to toggle back and forth for it to work properly)?

It does not. This bug only affects the 105, since only the 105 has this setting. The Stereo Signal setting can still get confused and execute the opposite choice to what you have set. The workaround, as before, is to toggle it to the other setting and back to your desired choice. OPPO Engineering is still working on this one.
--Bob

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page