Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 235 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 495Likes

post #7021 of 21410 Old 03-27-2013, 07:19 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

1. The support for DSD playback only mentions local storage. Is there any capability for DFF/DSF file playback via a SMB share? Even with playback limited to local storage only, this is an immensely important new feature. Might be worth buying a 103 to supplement my 93 for this feature alone.

Yes, it does work over SMB.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7022 of 21410 Old 03-27-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Yes, it does work over SMB.

-Bill

Excellent news! I only wish i could update my 93 for such capability.

If the answer to my second question is positive, the 103 will likely take up residence next to my 93.
post #7023 of 21410 Old 03-27-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I was referring to a recommendation relating to minimum length and cable gage. That's a little different than the widely accepted recommendations you are referring to.

As I said, I don't know how or if it relates to the Redmere cables.

Ah... I didn't see minimum in your post. I have heard that smaller cables (3 ft?) don't perform as well as 6' cables, no idea why, but it would be interesting to find out if there's a real reason.
post #7024 of 21410 Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recstar24 View Post

Anyone else experience the choppy juddery motion on hdmi1 using set top box through hdmi input?

Yes on my Fios box all channels had choppy motion. After checking Bluray and then going back it went away for now. I know Oppo will eventually fix this but added to my HDMI 2 handshake problem with my Fios box I am really disappointed in my $499 investment. One of the main reasons I went to this player was for the video processing in the HDMI inputs. Well currently HDMI 1 is choppy and HDMI 2 doesn't work. I know this player was Beta tested before release but obviously not thoroughly enough.
post #7025 of 21410 Old 03-27-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
An initial news flash from Kal Rubinson on Oppo adding DSD file playback. Oppo should really be congratulated for adding this feature to the 103/105 through a firmware update at no additional cost that was only possible previously with very expensive equipment.

This quote really says it all:

The hardware used has been mostly professional (Sonoma workstation) or semi-professional (Mytek Stereo 192-DSD) or, at the very least, costly enough for the unconvinced to hesitate. Now, in one fell swoop, Oppo has made this possible at no cost at all for those of us who own an Oppo BDP-103 or BDP-105.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/news-flash-oppo-now-plays-dsd-files
post #7026 of 21410 Old 03-27-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I was referring to a recommendation relating to minimum length and cable gage. That's a little different than the widely accepted recommendations you are referring to.

As I said, I don't know how or if it relates to the Redmere cables.

Ah... I didn't see minimum in your post. I have heard that smaller cables (3 ft?) don't perform as well as 6' cables, no idea why, but it would be interesting to find out if there's a real reason.
I don't either, but I've used high speed 18" Monoprice 28 gage cables to connect our OPPO Blu-ray and the Toshiba HD-DVD players to the AVR for a few years now. The Comcast box has a 3' cable for it's connection. We've never had a hand shake problem. All the connections are relatively stress free so that may explain some of the lack of trouble. In the past Monoprice has recommended 24 gage and 6' high speed cables, but at the time I read that, they didn't explain why. It could just be that they get more returns with the short cables. The shorter the cable, the more chance that the connection can be stressed.
lanping09 likes this.
post #7027 of 21410 Old 03-27-2013, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandx View Post

Sorry if someone already has mentioned this in the thousands of posts on this thread eek.gif

Has someone built a kind of spreadsheet that has all of the 103's default options listed, so that it will be easier for me in the future to reapply my custom changes after a major rev upgrade?

Many thanks,
Brian

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103_Settings_Checklist.html

...as shown in the 1st post in this thread. Freshly updated this morning!

-Bill

Bill ....in the Video Setup section of your checklist, what exactly is the Analog in HDMI2 & Analog Column?

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #7028 of 21410 Old 03-27-2013, 09:29 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post

Yes on my Fios box all channels had choppy motion. After checking Bluray and then going back it went away for now. I know Oppo will eventually fix this but added to my HDMI 2 handshake problem with my Fios box I am really disappointed in my $499 investment. One of the main reasons I went to this player was for the video processing in the HDMI inputs. Well currently HDMI 1 is choppy and HDMI 2 doesn't work. I know this player was Beta tested before release but obviously not thoroughly enough.

Make sure to contact oppo just to have it on file. Make sure customer service sends it directly to engineering. In addition to hdmi1 claymation choppiness I am now getting it on hdmi2 frown.gif so basically hdmi input with cable box is unwatchable. At least blu ray works frown.gif

On a more positive note, oshare is stupid easy to use and worked right off the bat for me. Now if I could just watch cable through hdmi input...
post #7029 of 21410 Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Wi
Quote:

No more pops! The beta alone is worth it to me for that reason.

Will do tomorrow. Has to be related to the new deinterlacing settings. As sometimes the ESPN scroll is choppy and other times the Golf Channel scroll is messed up . One is 720p and the other is 1080i. Other times everything is choppy. It all comes and goes.
post #7030 of 21410 Old 03-27-2013, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboy2 View Post

You are talking me into oShare but if I want to finish what I started and use Windows Media player, how do i negotiate through the log ins and permissions etc.? My Oppo demands a user name and password but I don't use a password to log into my Windows 7 PC.

I've never been able to log into my Windows 7 Ultimate configuration with a Username that has no Password. I think one of the Beta Testers was successful in this, but I gave up because I do not want to sign into my computer when I turn it on. I just use oShare for DLNA DMP (when I am too lazy to go to my computer) and Foobar2000 for DLNA DMR.

Do you have problems with metadata when pushing audio to the Oppo via wireless dlna dmr? When playing mp3 files, metadata is corrupted. When playing flac files, metadata fields and gracenote pics are all blank. When the Oppo is pulling data directly, all is fine. No missing pics and no metadata corruption.

The problem also occurs when using windows media player as the server...

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #7031 of 21410 Old 03-27-2013, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalnomad View Post

I also live in HK - our players are the US ones. I think the default DVD code is Region 1 because they're directly imported.

Also - I don't think OPPO manages the HK site, but the local distributor (B&O Acoustic) does.
hello globalnomad,
Have you tried out the new beta firmware? Does it work on your HK player?
I am running nowTV STB over the HDMI input of the player. User Recstar24 has reported jittery motion with STB over HDMI input over HDMI1 output. Do you have that kind of setup? If yes, any problem with the beta (if you have installed it)?
post #7032 of 21410 Old 03-27-2013, 10:37 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman123 View Post

hello globalnomad,
Have you tried out the new beta firmware? Does it work on your HK player?
I am running nowTV STB over the HDMI input of the player. User Recstar24 has reported jittery motion with STB over HDMI input over HDMI1 output. Do you have that kind of setup? If yes, any problem with the beta (if you have installed it)?

Sorry, I can't really help you there because I haven't installed the beta.

I don't really watch TV that much (my gf used to, but since I've updated to the Oppo, we're mostly watching movies in our free time) so I haven't passed nowTV through the OPPO. My setup is thus pretty simple: OPPO HDMI1 out to my TV (a simple LCD Samsung that my gf had before I moved to HK - definitely will upgrade in the future, but not enough funds for that), and stereo analog out to a Micromega IA-60 powering two Monitor Audio RX2 speakers - no sub (the RX2 goes down to 40Hz, so not too bad. Plus, I'm sure my neighbors wouldn't appreciate me adding a sub). I stream FLAC, MKV, and Blu-ray backups via SMB over Win7x64. As a result of this last point, I haven't updated to the beta because I'm not keen on losing my blu-ray back-up streaming ability. Some of the audio updates are tempting (DSD and CUE playback for example), but I'm going to hold off for awhile yet.

lanping09 likes this.
post #7033 of 21410 Old 03-28-2013, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Do you have problems with metadata when pushing audio to the Oppo via wireless dlna dmr? When playing mp3 files, metadata is corrupted. When playing flac files, metadata fields and gracenote pics are all blank. When the Oppo is pulling data directly, all is fine. No missing pics and no metadata corruption.

Don't know, because when I am pushing music I do not have my display on. I'll have to do some testing later when I want to burn some hours into my projector lamp.
post #7034 of 21410 Old 03-28-2013, 02:14 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

No more streaming of AVCHD over SMB and no more AVCD/BDMV for personal backups. Camcorder and self authored AVCHD without menus is still supported. But your days of playing 1:1 backups which are not on physical discs are over.

I usually backup only "main movie" without menus. I do it with TSmuxer or multiAVCHD. Will this backup work with the new firmware?
post #7035 of 21410 Old 03-28-2013, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hello I'm leaning towards getting a 103. Is there any benefit to hooking my Apple TV to the 103 vs my AVR( Marantz SR7500) ? I'm alittle confused regarding listening to CDs via 2 channel listening. Do I need to hook the 103 to my AVR via RCA cables rather than HDMI? Also is the 103 capable to stream Apple lossless files? Thanks.
post #7036 of 21410 Old 03-28-2013, 04:55 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav56 View Post

I usually backup only "main movie" without menus. I do it with TSmuxer or multiAVCHD. Will this backup work with the new firmware?

You are producing BDMV or AVCHD folders? That will no longer work.

You can produce M2TS files with tsMuxeR which will still work. That container does not have chapter support, though.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #7037 of 21410 Old 03-28-2013, 04:58 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Bill ....in the Video Setup section of your checklist, what exactly is the Analog in HDMI2 & Analog Column?

Exactly? It refers to Component output. Which the BDP-103 doesn't have. So it's a cut&paste error from copying from the -93 checklist.

Hell. I'll fix it this morning.

-Bill

post #7038 of 21410 Old 03-28-2013, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by pav56 View Post

Quote:

You are producing BDMV or AVCHD folders? That will no longer work.

You can produce M2TS files with tsMuxeR which will still work. That container does not have chapter support, though.

-Bill
Indeed,

So for all you guys who require chapter navigation support, your only alternative is re-muxing to the Matroska (.MKV) container. An application going by the name of 'MakeMKV' provides a relatively easy method of file type conversion wink.gif

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #7039 of 21410 Old 03-28-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post

Wi
Will do tomorrow. Has to be related to the new deinterlacing settings. As sometimes the ESPN scroll is choppy and other times the Golf Channel scroll is messed up . One is 720p and the other is 1080i. Other times everything is choppy. It all comes and goes.

Yup, same here. Oppo did ask me to change my deinterlacing setting to VIDEO to see if it would help - no change whatsoever.
post #7040 of 21410 Old 03-28-2013, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi all, quick question .

Is there any way to keep the bd-103 in "hdmi input in back" mode after powering down and turning the unit back on? IT is a little bit of a hassle to always have to scroll down and choose the input every time i power the unit on to watch Directv.
post #7041 of 21410 Old 03-28-2013, 06:39 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppipro View Post

Hi all, quick question .

Is there any way to keep the bd-103 in "hdmi input in back" mode after powering down and turning the unit back on?

Welcome to AVSForum.

No, there is no settable input default.

If using a programmable remote you can select the input directly, though. See the FAQ: How do I select an INPUT source with a programmable remote?

-Bill

post #7042 of 21410 Old 03-28-2013, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Treasure Hunt!

There are a variety of bug fixes in the 0323B Public Beta firmware which are not explicitly listed in the Release Notes.

For example, A-B Repeat now works on the AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray.

As usual, finding these is an exercise to the interested reader. Collect them all!
--Bob
A few quick observations:

DLNA performance is improved in general and chapter advance in MKVs is now snappy

Dolby TrueHD can now be bit-streamed from MKVs. biggrin.gif
post #7043 of 21410 Old 03-28-2013, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

A few quick observations:

DLNA performance is improved in general and chapter advance in MKVs is now snappy

Dolby TrueHD can now be bit-streamed from MKVs. biggrin.gif

anyone tried pushing music to the oppo via DLNA DMR (i'm using twonky) with the new firmware? this is very flakey on the current firmware.. hoping its solid with the new beta firmware. specifically, the oppo doesn't broadcast itself very consistently, so tools that list available devices to push content to sometimes see the oppo and sometimes do not. it usually works on a fresh restart of the 103, but after using the 103 for blu ray or other video playback, it will not show up as an available output source anymore.

post #7044 of 21410 Old 03-28-2013, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboy2 View Post

I should have said that I log into Windows without a user name or password. Bottom line sounds like I would have to sign into my PC to use Windows Media Player or delete Windows Live Essential. I wish I had not wasted my time trying to make this work. Looks like I will be playing around with oShare.

I am liking my 105 so far. It replaces an 83NuForce SE.

I am at a loss as to how to get my Oppo to access my music and photos. I even set up a password but the Oppo 105 won't accept it. I downloaded oShare but there are no instructions and I've no clue as to how to use it. Tried downloading the Foobar media player but the sucker added a bunch of hard to remove garbage and changed my toolbar and default page. It took me a while to undo that mess.

What am I doing wrong? It should not be this hard.
post #7045 of 21410 Old 03-28-2013, 07:56 AM

For anyone that is using a set top box through hdmi input, I would recommend NOT downloading the new beta. The motion issues has made both outputs unwatchable. As soon as I hear from oppo engineering I will update this thread.
post #7046 of 21410 Old 03-28-2013, 08:43 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Just posted in the 105 thread, the 0323B Public Beta firmware now allows hard drives larger than 2TB. No idea what the new, upper limit might be.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #7047 of 21410 Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View PostAn initial news flash from Kal Rubinson on Oppo adding DSD file playback. Oppo should really be congratulated for adding this feature to the 103/105 through a firmware update at no additional cost that was only possible previously with very expensive equipment.  http://www.stereophile.com/content/news-flash-oppo-now-plays-dsd-files

Cool thank you OPPO, thank you Kal for the news flash!

And here is how to test it http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html 2L rocks! Now if other recording studios could bring the same quality as 2L then all would be great!

post #7048 of 21410 Old 03-28-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

For anyone that is using a set top box through hdmi input, I would recommend NOT downloading the new beta. The motion issues has made both outputs unwatchable. As soon as I hear from oppo engineering I will update this thread.
I saw this mentioned the other day, but only noticed it for myself last night. Too late I'm afraid, as the new beta is already installed. So I look forward to any update you get from Oppo on when/if/how this can be corrected.

I also noticed two other issues (which I have not reported to Oppo). One is when hitting the 30-second skip-forward button on the DVR remote it takes much longer for the audio to return (after disappearing momentarily until the FF skip action stops) than it used to. This ALWAYS now occurs, and the slowdown to get audio back is quite annoying.

The second is that it is not uncommon now for hitting the 30-second skip-forward a few times in succession to trigger the Oppo to return back to the main LOGO screen and lose contact with the HDMI input from the DVR. This then requires a whole series of recovery steps (as if I were starting from scratch power-on again) to get back to the rear external HDMI input on screen.

Making this second symptom even worse is the fact that several times there has been NO AUDIO even after getting video restored from the rear HDMI input source. Recovery on this one is either (a) put a BluRay disk in and change input to play that movie briefly, which restores audio so that when you go back to external HDMI input there is once again audio, or (b) power off the Oppo, so that when powering it back on and getting external HDMI input restores there is once again audio.

Given the appearance of symptom 1, the fact that symptom 2 also has an audio component to it (i.e. its disappearance!!) is not entirely surprising.

I have seen symptom 2 occur quite a bit since installing the beta firmware a few days ago.
post #7049 of 21410 Old 03-28-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked: 774
New 103 owner here. I just received my new oppo last night via the AVS store. I do have a question to who can answer. I was reading the set up in the manual and I see that two HDMI's are suggested for set up. Is this really necessary? I mean how does the AVR recognize both cables? I am pairing this to a new Denon AVR 4520. Sorry, but this is the first time I seen this on a BD player. Thanks.
post #7050 of 21410 Old 03-28-2013, 10:40 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
I saw this mentioned the other day, but only noticed it for myself last night. Too late I'm afraid, as the new beta is already installed. So I look forward to any update you get from Oppo on when/if/how this can be corrected.......Given the appearance of symptom 1, the fact that symptom 2 also has an audio component to it (i.e. its disappearance!!) is not entirely surprising. I have seen symptom 2 occur quite a bit since installing the beta firmware a few days ago.

Well it's called beta for a reason :(

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page