Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 236 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7051 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 08:43 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Just posted in the 105 thread, the 0323B Public Beta firmware now allows hard drives larger than 2TB. No idea what the new, upper limit might be.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7052 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View PostAn initial news flash from Kal Rubinson on Oppo adding DSD file playback. Oppo should really be congratulated for adding this feature to the 103/105 through a firmware update at no additional cost that was only possible previously with very expensive equipment.  http://www.stereophile.com/content/news-flash-oppo-now-plays-dsd-files

Cool thank you OPPO, thank you Kal for the news flash!

And here is how to test it http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html 2L rocks! Now if other recording studios could bring the same quality as 2L then all would be great!

post #7053 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recstar24 View Post

For anyone that is using a set top box through hdmi input, I would recommend NOT downloading the new beta. The motion issues has made both outputs unwatchable. As soon as I hear from oppo engineering I will update this thread.
I saw this mentioned the other day, but only noticed it for myself last night. Too late I'm afraid, as the new beta is already installed. So I look forward to any update you get from Oppo on when/if/how this can be corrected.

I also noticed two other issues (which I have not reported to Oppo). One is when hitting the 30-second skip-forward button on the DVR remote it takes much longer for the audio to return (after disappearing momentarily until the FF skip action stops) than it used to. This ALWAYS now occurs, and the slowdown to get audio back is quite annoying.

The second is that it is not uncommon now for hitting the 30-second skip-forward a few times in succession to trigger the Oppo to return back to the main LOGO screen and lose contact with the HDMI input from the DVR. This then requires a whole series of recovery steps (as if I were starting from scratch power-on again) to get back to the rear external HDMI input on screen.

Making this second symptom even worse is the fact that several times there has been NO AUDIO even after getting video restored from the rear HDMI input source. Recovery on this one is either (a) put a BluRay disk in and change input to play that movie briefly, which restores audio so that when you go back to external HDMI input there is once again audio, or (b) power off the Oppo, so that when powering it back on and getting external HDMI input restores there is once again audio.

Given the appearance of symptom 1, the fact that symptom 2 also has an audio component to it (i.e. its disappearance!!) is not entirely surprising.

I have seen symptom 2 occur quite a bit since installing the beta firmware a few days ago.
post #7054 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 320
New 103 owner here. I just received my new oppo last night via the AVS store. I do have a question to who can answer. I was reading the set up in the manual and I see that two HDMI's are suggested for set up. Is this really necessary? I mean how does the AVR recognize both cables? I am pairing this to a new Denon AVR 4520. Sorry, but this is the first time I seen this on a BD player. Thanks.
post #7055 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 10:40 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
I saw this mentioned the other day, but only noticed it for myself last night. Too late I'm afraid, as the new beta is already installed. So I look forward to any update you get from Oppo on when/if/how this can be corrected.......Given the appearance of symptom 1, the fact that symptom 2 also has an audio component to it (i.e. its disappearance!!) is not entirely surprising. I have seen symptom 2 occur quite a bit since installing the beta firmware a few days ago.

Well it's called beta for a reason :(

post #7056 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 10:47 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

New 103 owner here. I just received my new oppo last night via the AVS store. I do have a question to who can answer. I was reading the set up in the manual and I see that two HDMI's are suggested for set up. Is this really necessary? I mean how does the AVR recognize both cables? I am pairing this to a new Denon AVR 4520. Sorry, but this is the first time I seen this on a BD player. Thanks.

Two HDMI are mostly for people who have 3D displays but receivers that do not pass HDMI 1.4. In that case you can run HDMI1 to the display and HDMI2 to the receiver.

Now and then we see cases were troublesome HDMI handshaking behavior is improved by using two cables, but the most common case is for one cable to do it all.

-Bill
post #7057 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogeeker View Post

anyone tried pushing music to the oppo via DLNA DMR (i'm using twonky) with the new firmware? this is very flakey on the current firmware.. hoping its solid with the new beta firmware. specifically, the oppo doesn't broadcast itself very consistently, so tools that list available devices to push content to sometimes see the oppo and sometimes do not. it usually works on a fresh restart of the 103, but after using the 103 for blu ray or other video playback, it will not show up as an available output source anymore.
MUCH IMPROVED WITH THE BETA. smile.gif

I was experiencing some the same symptoms when attempting to use the DMR functionally of my NAS. Using the beta with the DMR function of my Synology NAS (Audio Station) and the Synology iPhone App (DS Audio) the difference was immediate. The Oppo is now apparently broadcasting itself properly because the 103 is consistently showing up. (Knock on wood.)

Caveat: I have not tried any other DLNA servers (yet) so YMMV.
lanping09 likes this.
post #7058 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I have the exact same setup as you. Unless you are using dual outputs (TV and Projector), just connect HDMI 1 to your 4520.
post #7059 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Well it's called beta for a reason frown.gif
Of course.

I've now phoned Oppo to give them my own observations (all tied to the use of external HDMI input source from DVR, which for me is actually a Linksys DMA2100 Windows Media Center Extender), and they have recorded them:

(1) with beta firmware, much slower "audio recovery" time when using 30-second skip-forward on DVR remote, from brief disappearance of audio until its reappearance

(2) with beta firmware, Oppo sometimes reverts to main LOGO screen when pushing 30-second skip-forward on DVR remote several times in quick succession (to pass through a several minute commercial pod)

(3) with beta firmware, non-smooth "staccato" video, most visible when motion onscreen. Others have certainly observed this and also reported it to Oppo.

(4) since 103 product introduction, ever-growing accumulated larger-and-larger lip-sync audio/video problem tied to use of external HDMI input and "Split A/V" but with HDMI-2 external audio system powered off so that both audio+video are sent out HDMI-1; starts at 0, but begins to accumulate and get worse and worse; can be vaporized (temporarily anyway) by pushing 30-second skip-forward or 15-second skip-back, or PAUSE/PLAY, or anything else on DVR remote which briefly causes audio to disappear so that when audio returns all buffers (which produced the audio/video lip-sync problem) have been flushed and start anew with audio and video at least once again initially in-sync.

On TWO (very rare) occasions, I have also seen the lip-sync problem (4) occur EVEN WITH HDMI-2 ACTIVE, WHEN USING MY EXTERNAL HEADPHONE SYSTEM! This was a stunning surprise, and I was NOT ever able to make it go away... not by using the usual button pushes on the DVR remote, nor even by turning off everything and turning it on. It appeared to be PERMANENT! However after finally turning everything off for the night and letting all equipment "cool down", the next day the problem had disappeared. In fact, the Oppo had been powered on (and thus heated up) for a very extended period when these situations involving lip-sync on HDMI-2, so maybe it was somehow tied to overheating.
post #7060 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 11:22 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You are producing BDMV or AVCHD folders? That will no longer work.

You can produce M2TS files with tsMuxeR which will still work. That container does not have chapter support, though.

-Bill

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD, BDMV directory is located in the AVCHD folder. I used BDMV folder in the root for backups on a directly connected external HD and BDMV placed in AVCHD folder for SMB. My question is: what the difference between homemade AVCHD from camcorder and movie backup? Chapters? Menu presence? 8.3 file format?
post #7061 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I have a particular use of this "Split A/V" capability, where video-only is sent out HDMI-1 to the HDTV and audio-only (decoded LPCM) is sent out HDMI-2 to my external headphone audio system (which requires decoded LPCM).

HDMI-1 actually goes through my Yamaha AVR, so that when the headphone system is powered off (and thus HDMI-2 is inactive) and I want to listen through speakers managed by the AVR, the Oppo moves audio over to HDMI-1 so that both audio and video are delivered out HDMI-1 to the AVR. When the external headphone system is powered on only video arrives from HDMI-1 to the AVR. Sending HDMI-1 out of the Oppo to the AVR allows me to make use of speakers, when HDMI-2 is powered off.

I also have two HDTV's connected to the two HDMI outputs on the Yamaha AVR, so I can watch on either HDTV depending on situation. That's another reason HDMI-1 out of the Oppo goes to the AVR rather than directly to the HDTV (if I only had one).
post #7062 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 11:32 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav56 View Post

My question is: what the difference between homemade AVCHD from camcorder and movie backup?

I have never heard what makes the difference. AVCHD is parallel to Blu-ray video but no one ever said the structures would be identical. Somehow the player detects that the BDMV or AVCHD/BDMV comes from a copy protected source and will not play it back.

If you can research this and discover how to convert BR backups to playable AVCHD the smart thing would be to keep it to yourself so the technique doesn't get out and come to the studios' attention.

-Bill
post #7063 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 11:48 AM

Liked: 12
Dsperber,

Thanks for chiming in and reporting to oppo. Customer service let me know that engineering will be working on the "staccato" motion issue for the future firmware release.

In the meantime it appears our hdmi inputs are essentially "bricked". Disappointing.
post #7064 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:

Two HDMI are mostly for people who have 3D displays but receivers that do not pass HDMI 1.4. In that case you can run HDMI1 to the display and HDMI2 to the receiver.

Now and then we see cases were troublesome HDMI handshaking behavior is improved by using two cables, but the most common case is for one cable to do it all.

-Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

I have the exact same setup as you. Unless you are using dual outputs (TV and Projector), just connect HDMI 1 to your 4520.

Quote:

I have a particular use of this "Split A/V" capability, where video-only is sent out HDMI-1 to the HDTV and audio-only (decoded LPCM) is sent out HDMI-2 to my external headphone audio system (which requires decoded LPCM).

HDMI-1 actually goes through my Yamaha AVR, so that when the headphone system is powered off (and thus HDMI-2 is inactive) and I want to listen through speakers managed by the AVR, the Oppo moves audio over to HDMI-1 so that both audio and video are delivered out HDMI-1 to the AVR. When the external headphone system is powered on only video arrives from HDMI-1 to the AVR. Sending HDMI-1 out of the Oppo to the AVR allows me to make use of speakers, when HDMI-2 is powered off.

I also have two HDTV's connected to the two HDMI outputs on the Yamaha AVR, so I can watch on either HDTV depending on situation. That's another reason HDMI-1 out of the Oppo goes to the AVR rather than directly to the HDTV (if I only had one).
Thanks guys! I believe for now that I will just use one cable till I get all this stuff figured out. Thanks again.
post #7065 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboy2 View Post

I am at a loss as to how to get my Oppo to access my music and photos. I even set up a password but the Oppo 105 won't accept it. I downloaded oShare but there are no instructions and I've no clue as to how to use it.

Open oShare and then press the huge + button. Select a folder you want to share then OK. The program will now index all files and folders.

On the player select Network then select oShare. Select either Music, Movies or Photos depending on the type of media you want to playback. Now browse your files and folders.
post #7066 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Open oShare and then press the huge + button. Select a folder you want to share then OK. The program will now index all files and folders.

On the player select Network then select oShare. Select either Music, Movies or Photos depending on the type of media you want to playback. Now browse your files and folders.

Problem finally solved. My Actiontec M1424WR router provided by Verizon FIOS was blocking my DLNA. After trying a second computer, I concluded that my PC was probably not at fault. I had to disable the IGMP Proxy in my router. If I had only known this before I racked my brain trying to resolve the issue.
post #7067 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Good to know that you were able to resolve your issue, though it is odd that any kind of Proxy was enabled by default.
post #7068 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:

I saw this mentioned the other day, but only noticed it for myself last night. Too late I'm afraid, as the new beta is already installed. So I look forward to any update you get from Oppo on when/if/how this can be corrected.

I also noticed two other issues (which I have not reported to Oppo). One is when hitting the 30-second skip-forward button on the DVR remote it takes much longer for the audio to return (after disappearing momentarily until the FF skip action stops) than it used to. This ALWAYS now occurs, and the slowdown to get audio back is quite annoying.

The second is that it is not uncommon now for hitting the 30-second skip-forward a few times in succession to trigger the Oppo to return back to the main LOGO screen and lose contact with the HDMI input from the DVR. This then requires a whole series of recovery steps (as if I were starting from scratch power-on again) to get back to the rear external HDMI input on screen.

Making this second symptom even worse is the fact that several times there has been NO AUDIO even after getting video restored from the rear HDMI input source. Recovery on this one is either (a) put a BluRay disk in and change input to play that movie briefly, which restores audio so that when you go back to external HDMI input there is once again audio, or (b) power off the Oppo, so that when powering it back on and getting external HDMI input restores there is once again audio.

Given the appearance of symptom 1, the fact that symptom 2 also has an audio component to it (i.e. its disappearance!!) is not entirely surprising.

I have seen symptom 2 occur quite a bit since installing the beta firmware a few days ago.

I finally gave up on using it as a VP. Had lip sync quirks since Oct...

65" VT50 / BDT460
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #7069 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Will oshare handle dsd files on a PC ?
post #7070 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 02:47 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

I haven't tried it but I don't believe DSD will work over DLNA. Yet?

-Bill
post #7071 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

The beauty of oShare is that it is that it will share whatever is in the chosen folders.

Quote:

I haven't tried it but I don't believe DSD will work over DLNA. Yet?

The Oppo's ethernet input will not accept DSD files (yet, I hope).

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #7072 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 04:43 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthkringle View Post

Has anyone actually tested HDMI 1 to see if the NR and/or Sharpness adjustments are in fact not altered in the new firmware? I could "see" a scenario (no pun intended) where Oppo might address this to some degree without advertising it since it is not actually thought to be an "issue" and that they likely would open up the door to be expected to fix every user's perceived imperfections with firmware. With that said, I do think HDMI 1 is a touch "soft" and would love to know if anyone with the new firmware has confirmed that nothing in fact changed there.

Also, if I use an external USB drive with a large library of .wav files, what does the "CUE file" change give me in reality? All of my WAV files were ripped via dbpoweramp and I had to remove the "tags" that it embedded as they created a static noise at the end of each track. Does this CUE change as part of the firmware do either of the following:

Eliminate the "static" at the end of each track (Which I think could have been a side effect of the tagging from dbpoweramp on WAV files)
Read the information as Tags and therefore take precedence over Gracenote?

And yes, I know about FLAC, but I want to use WAV for my own reasons.

Thanks everyone as always. This is a fantastic group/thread.

Guys- Any feedback on either of these questions/comments? Thanks again
post #7073 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 04:51 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidetracked View Post

Indeed, part of what I like about Jeff so much (having worked with other calibrators) is that he seems most concerned with real world
results, over test results. I also like that he's willing to challenge mainstream thinking about calibration. He made certain decisions
in calibrating my Kuro that were unordodox, but ultimately led to a better, more accurate picture, at least to my eye with material I
knew intimately. I know this is off-topic,but, what the heck, I figure it's worth giving him a shout-out. smile.gif

Jeff calibrated my 141 also. He advised me to use 4:4:4 because there is a RGB bug with the 141. He is a very smart guy I trust him & he did a fantastic job on my Kuro & 7.1 system. It has never looked or sounded better. He put in a Star Wars movie in my old 93 & I thought it was BD until he told me it was just a DVD.
post #7074 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just tested a DSD file over SMB & that works just fine.

I think foobar supports DSD it in some way over DLNA, but I have not tried it myself.
post #7075 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthkringle View Post

Guys- Any feedback on either of these questions/comments? Thanks again
You've shown amazing patients and restraint to have been at AVS for six years and posted only a little over four times a year. The answers you seek will come, as they have in the past. wink.gif
post #7076 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 05:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano18 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidetracked View Post

Indeed, part of what I like about Jeff so much (having worked with other calibrators) is that he seems most concerned with real world
results, over test results. I also like that he's willing to challenge mainstream thinking about calibration. He made certain decisions
in calibrating my Kuro that were unordodox, but ultimately led to a better, more accurate picture, at least to my eye with material I
knew intimately. I know this is off-topic,but, what the heck, I figure it's worth giving him a shout-out. smile.gif

Jeff calibrated my 141 also. He advised me to use 4:4:4 because there is a RGB bug with the 141. He is a vey smart guy I trust him & he did a fantastic job on my Kuro & 7.1 system. It has never looked or sounded better. He put in a Star Wars movie in my old 93 & I thought it was BD until he told me it was just a DVD.
Thanks for your calibration report. If you've posted in the owner's thread for the 141, let me know where it is and I'll link it with this one in the flat panel (post number two) lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.
post #7077 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

The beauty of oShare is that it is that it will share whatever is in the chosen folders.
The Oppo's ethernet input will not accept DSD files (yet, I hope).

Thanks. We can wait and hope.

Joel
post #7078 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Thanks. We can wait and hope.

Joel
No need to wait. As I just posted, it works over SMB.
post #7079 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 06:25 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Thanks for your calibration report. If you've posted in the owner's thread for the 141, let me know where it is and I'll link it with this one in the flat panel (post number two) lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

I never made a post in the owners thread, but feel free to quote me in the flat panel owners thread.
post #7080 of 17943 Old 03-28-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano18 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I never made a post in the owners thread, but feel free to quote me in the flat panel owners thread.
Thanks for the reply. It might be better is you quoted you. biggrin.gif
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page