Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 241 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7201 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Is that horse dead yet? rolleyes.gif
rdgrimes is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7202 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 1,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoor View Post

Totally agree. If others don't see it, perhaps they are blessed in a way. For those that do, guess we just vote with our pocketbook and perhaps OPPO might see this eventually as something to address. Unfortunately,, we are sending them mixed signals- some say it is a showstopper and others say almost inconsequential.

Showstopper for me and I voted no and returned my units.
As mentioned before... For all those who "do see it", it would be helpful if they could tell us the make and model number of their display device - at the very minimum...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #7203 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian-HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 2,218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Is that horse dead yet? rolleyes.gif

No!
Brian-HD is offline  
post #7204 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian-HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 2,218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
It's not going to be a reference blu ray player with some.
Brian-HD is offline  
post #7205 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Member
 
Sidetracked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Is that horse dead yet? rolleyes.gif

Not when 5 different owners are reporting the same perceptions on the page before. Plus, this is a different horse than the last one
I annoyed you with. This is simply stating that HDMI 1 vs 2 may not be a neutral issue. Seems to me for a new owner asking the difference
there is one to be explained or at least discussed.

Last time I annoyed you it was because I was trying to understand what the potential color problems were on HDMI 2. wink.gif
Sidetracked is offline  
post #7206 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Member
 
Sidetracked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

As mentioned before... For all those who "do see it", it would be helpful if they could tell us the make and model number of their display device - at the very minimum...

Well, based on the page before 3 of us have Kuro Elites calibrated by Jeff Meier aka Umr. Mine is a 151, another reported
a 141, don't think there was a model number mentioned on the 3rd.
Sidetracked is offline  
post #7207 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Senior Member
 
giedrys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: DTLA
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I really don't get this whole "removing certain functionality via next FW upgrade" thing. I mean is it really as bad as "there's a guy with bunch of oppos in his law office representing holywood who keeps himself busy by looking for next "removable" feature in these players? And then what? When he finds that feature he picks up the phone, calls Oppo and orders them tom remove it via next FW update or else? And they just automatically say yes?!

That's just silly.
giedrys is offline  
post #7208 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AVfile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoor View Post

I had never had an Oppo before, but within a few hours of setup I noticed HDMI on my VT50 did not look as good as an older Panasonic player. So much for the vaunted QEDO video processing.

I read a similar remark in the Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD thread (another good universal player using QDEO by the way). People are returning them and going back to Panasonic because they are seeing a difference on DVDs. They can't prove that one is really more accurate than the other, just that they prefer the final result of one over the other. Most of them see very little or no difference on BDs so I don't think it's a TV setup issue.
Quote:
IMO, they have some serious decisions to make, since they don't have have the in-house video chip resources like Panasonic and others. They are at the mercy of just a few suppliers in this area. And I am concerned they just are not keeping up with the expectations that the Oppo price point demands.

I read that Panasonic is going this way with their new models too... no more proprietary video processing that gives them "the edge". The BDT-220 may be the last no-nonesense player for a while, as the trend seems to be towards streaming, networking and ancillary concerns.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
AVfile is offline  
post #7209 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 11:54 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,169
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by giedrys View Post

I really don't get this whole "removing certain functionality via next FW upgrade" thing. I mean is it really as bad as "there's a guy with bunch of oppos in his law office representing holywood who keeps himself busy by looking for next "removable" feature in these players? And then what? When he finds that feature he picks up the phone, calls Oppo and orders them tom remove it via next FW update or else? And they just automatically say yes?!

Something like that, although in this case (as with ISO arriving and then being removed on the -93/95) it was Mediatek's kneecaps being broken, not OPPOs.
Quote:
That's just silly.

Tell it to the judge. We already know.

-Bill
wmcclain is online now  
post #7210 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Member
 
Sidetracked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

I read a similar remark in the Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD thread (another good universal player using QDEO by the way). People are returning them and going back to Panasonic because they are seeing a difference on DVDs. They can't prove that one is really more accurate than the other, just that they prefer the final result of one over the other. Most of them see very little or no difference on BDs so I don't think it's a TV setup issue.
I read that Panasonic is going this way with their new models too... no more proprietary video processing that gives them "the edge". The BDT-220 may be the last no-nonesense player for a while, as the trend seems to be towards streaming, networking and ancillary concerns.

I can say (and yes - dead horse alert! I said it before, but it was many pages ago) that - at least on my set up - the old ABT chips in Oppos clearly handled SD-DVDs more
accurately than the QEDOs. I have multiple discs I was involved with mastering, and know exactly what the intent was. There's no question that the most accurate
rendering is on my older Oppos, even though the HDMI 2 output on the 103 isn't far off.

With blu-ray, the quality of the QEDO chip, at least as implemented by Oppo, can be debated. But on SD-DVD (and probably 50% of the great films on SD-DVD have
yet to make it to blu-ray) I will risk wrath and hellfire to say the QEDO is a step backwards.

I in no way blame Oppo - ABT simply ceased to exist. But I do wonder if they might look at other chip options and or improving the implimentation of the QEDO
(if possible) for future models.

In the meantime I'm jealousy guarding my old 983 and 83, and just bought a used 983 as a back up.
Sidetracked is offline  
post #7211 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 12:10 PM
Senior Member
 
giedrys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: DTLA
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Something like that, although in this case (as with ISO arriving and then being removed on the -93/95) it was Mediatek's kneecaps being broken, not OPPOs.

Again, I can understand when certain features are removed in next gen product- it happens all the time in every industry for various reasons. It's unacceptable however when you buy a product because it has certain features and those features are being removed via FW update.

Quote:
Tell it to the judge. We already know.
I'm not telling anything to anyone-I don't work for Oppo. I just own one of their products(for now, at least). However, with the amount of players sold worldwide I'm sure they are more than capable to hire some serious help but instead of doing so they are choosing the easy route.
giedrys is offline  
post #7212 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AVfile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

^^^^^

Are the beta testers getting the same result? HDMI 1 connected directly to display, into AVR, HDMI box, or VP?

They seem to be in a "wait and see mode" but I would hope that they are detecting these issues early and reporting them to Oppo.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
AVfile is offline  
post #7213 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 12:21 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,169
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by giedrys View Post


Again, I can understand when certain features are removed in next gen product- it happens all the time in every industry for various reasons. It's unacceptable however when you buy a product because it has certain features and those features are being removed via FW update.

Unacceptable? What does that mean? Hollywood runs the Blu-ray world. If you can't accept their terms you don't watch their movies. There is not the slightest point in blaming OPPO.

Quote:
I'm not telling anything to anyone-I don't work for Oppo.

None of us do. We're volunteers making your day better.


Quote:
I just own one of their products(for now, at least). However, with the amount of players sold worldwide I'm sure they are more than capable to hire some serious help but instead of doing so they are choosing the easy route.

Hire serious help to do what? You would need to hire more lawyers than the studios and that's not possible.

-Bill
wmcclain is online now  
post #7214 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ganymed4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

It's not going to be a reference blu ray player with some.

I completely agree with you. But it was not my expectation, that a 500 US$ player would become THE reference player of all price categories. However, it is a very good player and the Qdeo chip is used in many other units e.g. Onkyo etc. The price quality relation is very good, looking at all the functions the player is offering, plus a very good picture and very good sound. I have nothing to complain here.

But due to all these functions, the developers are facing a quite complex product and they have to handle it. But in my opinion, they did an excellent job regarding the price tag and the time, the player is on the market. Think of others and how many firmware upgrades they needed until their product lived up to the specs - Denon, Samsung etc.
Ganymed4 is offline  
post #7215 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Senior Member
 
giedrys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: DTLA
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Unacceptable? What does that mean? Hollywood runs the Blu-ray world. If you can't accept their terms you don't watch their movies. There is not the slightest point in blaming OPPO.
None of us do. We're volunteers making your day better.
Hire serious help to do what? You would need to hire more lawyers than the studios and that's not possible.

-Bill

Okay. Carry on biggrin.gif
giedrys is offline  
post #7216 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 1,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by giedrys View Post

I'm not telling anything to anyone-I don't work for Oppo. I just own one of their products(for now, at least). However, with the amount of players sold worldwide I'm sure they are more than capable to hire some serious help but instead of doing so they are choosing the easy route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Hire serious help to do what? You would need to hire more lawyers than the studios and that's not possible.

-Bill
Indeed... These are the ramblings from people that have no idea how hardware player media licencing works. And just how easy it is to have these licences threatened with suspension.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #7217 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
hifi59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidetracked View Post

Well, based on the page before 3 of us have Kuro Elites calibrated by Jeff Meier aka Umr. Mine is a 151, another reported
a 141, don't think there was a model number mentioned on the 3rd.
I have the 151 calibrated by Jeff twice.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
hifi59 is offline  
post #7218 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
hifi59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidetracked View Post

I can say (and yes - dead horse alert! I said it before, but it was many pages ago) that - at least on my set up - the old ABT chips in Oppos clearly handled SD-DVDs more
accurately than the QEDOs. I have multiple discs I was involved with mastering, and know exactly what the intent was. There's no question that the most accurate
rendering is on my older Oppos, even though the HDMI 2 output on the 103 isn't far off.

With blu-ray, the quality of the QEDO chip, at least as implemented by Oppo, can be debated. But on SD-DVD (and probably 50% of the great films on SD-DVD have
yet to make it to blu-ray) I will risk wrath and hellfire to say the QEDO is a step backwards.

I in no way blame Oppo - ABT simply ceased to exist. But I do wonder if they might look at other chip options and or improving the implimentation of the QEDO
(if possible) for future models.

In the meantime I'm jealousy guarding my old 983 and 83, and just bought a used 983 as a back up.
Btw, Jeff prefers his 83 over the current model. Keep it!

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
hifi59 is offline  
post #7219 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Member
 
Sidetracked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post

Btw, Jeff prefers his 83 over the current model. Keep it!

Yeah, I hate to say it, but I do too, even on blu-ray. It's very close, and I'm not willing to make a stand the
way I am on SD-DVD and say it's objectively true that the 83 is better than the 103 on HDMI 2, but when I
A/B I do see a slight difference, and to my taste, it goes to the 83. Interesting that Jeff feels the same way.
I think his eye is pretty amazing.

At this point, I'm mostly using the 103 for streaming, and discs when it's not stuff where I really care
about the very best PQ (e.g. TV shows) thus saving wear on the 83.

I am and will continue to be an Oppo fan. They have made videophile level products available
for those of us who couldn't afford to spend $1000s on a player. They have great and responsive
customer support. I'll continue to buy their products, recommend them to others and try new ones.
But I am a bit disappointed in how the 103 has turned out (so far).
Sidetracked is offline  
post #7220 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dsinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post

Btw, Jeff prefers his 83 over the current model. Keep it!

Wish I had kept it ! If Oppo doesn't fix the color up sampling on HDMI 2 and/or the always on noise reduction on HDMI 1 Source Direct I may buy a used 83 and sell the 103.
dsinger is offline  
post #7221 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ganymed4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoor View Post

Exactly! I can not prove the Panasonic BR player is better, but I sure am pleased with it over the OPPO HDMI1's output.

I never did use the HDMI2, since I thought it was more for audio pass through or for some secondary non-reference monitor. Never would have guessed it would become theBR reference port. But even if it has been ok, it still would have gone back. I bought the OPPO first at a reference BR player not to be used to workaround the supposedly reference port's issues. I can stream and do files support several ways. And I suspect the Panasonic BR output would match the HDMI2 output on BR and might be even better on SD.

Well, I can say, that my Denon DVD 3800 BDCI is better than the Oppo 103, I also own. When watching Blu-Rays or DVDs - sorry to say that - I use the Denon - equipped with Realta T2 chip. But the HQV Realta 2 chip doesn't exist any more. For DVD, they are very close, not really big differences, may be in details but for Blu-Ray a visual difference.

I had a Samsung - don't know which model, inexpensive one, I had the Denon 2500 and the Toshiba HD-XE1 - not really comparable. The Denon is the best of all of them. However, I didn't expect from Oppo to be THE reference player. 2000 US$ vs. 500 - what is the deal here? Weight, double layer case, build quality. I also believe that the 83 is somehow better than the 103, due to the ABT chip. However, I think that there is still room for improvement via firmware updates for the 103. But IMO you can not do marvels with less money. Therefore, the Oppo 103 is very good but it is not a miracle.

Just my 2 cents...
Ganymed4 is offline  
post #7222 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
edfowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: central Indiana
Posts: 1,746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 38
If anyone is dissatisfied with their OPPO I am selling my Panasonic DMP-BD500 in the classified. I briefly had an OPPO 103 and liked it so much I sent it back...













and am going to order an OPPO 105 as soon as the Panasonic sells (maybe sooner). The Panasonic is very close video and audio wise. I am really interested in the analog output, headphone jack and asynchronous USB input on the 105.

Just sayin'

Hope I didn't violate any forum rules pointing to my classified, I see it all the time in different posts.

ed

sold
edfowler is online now  
post #7223 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 03:51 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,437
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Thanks for the reply. Now that you mention this, I do remember someone telling me about the display and the decoding when I first set this up. Which way would you suggest to do the decoding? Thanks
Unless there are decoding bugs in the player or the AVR, it really doesn't matter which way you choose. Try both ways and stick with what you prefer.
gsr is offline  
post #7224 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Member
 
ckronengold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston Strong / Jersey Strong
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

All my DVD and Blu-ray discs are now backed up to MKV files. And my CD's and DVD-A discs are backed up to Flac files...

Apart from my Blu-ray disc back-ups that contain Dolby TrueHD audio streams, they are all played perfectly by the Oppo wink.gif

Sorry for the slightly off topic question, but what FLAC settings do you use to backup your DVD-A? I never thought to do that. Any tips on what to use?

Onkyo NR-709 / OPPO-103
Paradigm Mini Monitors v2 / Atoms (rears) / CC-370
Samsung 59D6500 Plasma
Server: WHS2011, i5 2500k CPU
HTPC1(LR):Win8 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
HTPC2(BR):Win8 Pro 64-bit, i3 2105, Radeon 6770
ckronengold is offline  
post #7225 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Member
 
ckronengold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston Strong / Jersey Strong
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

I use whs 2011. Will this work with that!? How do I activate smb for whs 2011 or should I use my w7 64 client with jriver s M18? I have media files on both.

Yes it will, but it will be limited in what WHS2011 can do on its own. If you are trying to use the WHS2011 transcoding/serving capabilities, you may be a little disappointed.
I'm using WHS2011 with DrivePool to create a large, single virtual drive for the network to share.

I'm running Plex Media Server (plexapp.com) and very happy with it so far. Ideal for serving movies to mobile devices in and out of the house.
Works great with MKV files. Not so much with DVD folder structures like TS_Video folders.
Getting Plex to run as a service (without logging in to WHS) is a bit of a pain, but working.
I've heard good things about XBMC as a server, but have not tried it yet. Been trying to stick with things that natively support WHS2011 or have an official add-in.

I'm using Asset UPnP for serving my audio off WHS2011 as well, again, because it has a WHS2011 add-in.

If you want to pay ($29, I think) many folks in the WHS2011 forums seem to like Serviio. I did, too. But decided to try Plex since it was cheaper.

Serviio and the Oppo got along like peas and carrots.

Onkyo NR-709 / OPPO-103
Paradigm Mini Monitors v2 / Atoms (rears) / CC-370
Samsung 59D6500 Plasma
Server: WHS2011, i5 2500k CPU
HTPC1(LR):Win8 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
HTPC2(BR):Win8 Pro 64-bit, i3 2105, Radeon 6770
ckronengold is offline  
post #7226 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Member
 
ckronengold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston Strong / Jersey Strong
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
With so much discussion about HDMI 1 vs 2 and NR and QDEO, I was wondering if anyone could be more specific in helping us newbs better understand and see for ourselves.

even though everyone's set up is different, surely there must be some standard movies that most of us have where you can point to a particular scene and how the player is processing it.
or is it really just a subtle sharpness issue universally across the board.

Just curious if there were some highly typical/cliche examples where people agree that this processing is easy to see.

Onkyo NR-709 / OPPO-103
Paradigm Mini Monitors v2 / Atoms (rears) / CC-370
Samsung 59D6500 Plasma
Server: WHS2011, i5 2500k CPU
HTPC1(LR):Win8 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
HTPC2(BR):Win8 Pro 64-bit, i3 2105, Radeon 6770
ckronengold is offline  
post #7227 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 05:55 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,169
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post

With so much discussion about HDMI 1 vs 2 and NR and QDEO, I was wondering if anyone could be more specific in helping us newbs better understand and see for ourselves.

even though everyone's set up is different, surely there must be some standard movies that most of us have where you can point to a particular scene and how the player is processing it.
or is it really just a subtle sharpness issue universally across the board.

Just curious if there were some highly typical/cliche examples where people agree that this processing is easy to see.

This sort of thing is best seen on test patterns. Do you have any calibration discs?

-Bill
wmcclain is online now  
post #7228 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gweempose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Northbrook, IL
Posts: 2,492
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'm still within the 30 day return window for my 103. I have to admit, I'm a bit surprised by all the complaints. If I had realized there were so many issues with the machine, I probably wouldn't have bought it. I'm almost thinking I should return it and get something else while I still can.
gweempose is online now  
post #7229 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Member
 
ckronengold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston Strong / Jersey Strong
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

This sort of thing is best seen on test patterns. Do you have any calibration discs?

-Bill

Of course! I've got Spears and Munsil. I was just hoping there might be more of a "real world" example that people agreed upon. And with the quickness with which some people are seeing dramatic differences, I was hoping maybe not to need to bust out the test patterns.

And kudos to you for making it clear that this is some very nit-picky stuff we're dealing with. If I didn't already own my 103, and read this forum before buying, I'd be scared about my purchase. But this thing is simply awesome, and I guess this forum wants to make it as awesome as can be. Can't fault them for that, but dang! You'd think half the folks in the forum were watching laser discs.

Onkyo NR-709 / OPPO-103
Paradigm Mini Monitors v2 / Atoms (rears) / CC-370
Samsung 59D6500 Plasma
Server: WHS2011, i5 2500k CPU
HTPC1(LR):Win8 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
HTPC2(BR):Win8 Pro 64-bit, i3 2105, Radeon 6770
ckronengold is offline  
post #7230 of 18014 Old 04-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Member
 
ckronengold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston Strong / Jersey Strong
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

I'm still within the 30 day return window for my 103. I have to admit, I'm a bit surprised by all the complaints. If I had realized there were so many issues with the machine, I probably wouldn't have bought it. I'm almost thinking I should return it and get something else while I still can.

-- I wouldn't. See my previous post to Bill. This is some serious nitpicky stuff. I think in general, the 103 has been simply amazing.

Onkyo NR-709 / OPPO-103
Paradigm Mini Monitors v2 / Atoms (rears) / CC-370
Samsung 59D6500 Plasma
Server: WHS2011, i5 2500k CPU
HTPC1(LR):Win8 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
HTPC2(BR):Win8 Pro 64-bit, i3 2105, Radeon 6770
ckronengold is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off