Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 244 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7291 of 17735 Old 04-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 796
OPPO UK Posts the 0323B Public Beta Firmware for the European model BDP-103EU and BDP-105EU players

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/customer-services/bdp-103-105eu/

As already noted by a couple posters above, the European version of the Public Beta is now available.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7292 of 17735 Old 04-02-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

Yes it does all those things...

You save your audio CD back-up as say, a continuous .WAV or FLAC stream with .CUE file (Exact Audio Copy can do this). Once this has been done, you navigate to where the '.Cue' file is stored via SMB and press enter.

Depending on how much information has been stored within the .Cue file (which you can edit), you should be able to see the entire track listing, album name, album date and genre on your TV screen wink.gif

Perfect, thanks! I've been waiting to pull the trigger on a 103 to see if gapless playback would be possible. I work with cue files already (using EAC), so this is something I'm used to.

Gapless playback and DSD file playback make the 103 a worthwhile addition to my 93, which I use for ISO playback.
post #7293 of 17735 Old 04-02-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

You understand that this is beta firmware.

The whole intent with beta software is to test new fixes and find problems. Beta software by definition is buggy and can have serious problems. If you don't want that kind of instability, then you don't install beta software.

It's not good form to release beta firmware that cannot be rolled back, even if they are being forced to do that for official releases.
It's also not good form to go out of your way to install beta firmware, and then complain that it's beta firmware. Whenever beta firmware is announced there is always a warning that it can't be rolled back.

All firmware could be rolled back until Netflix streaming was added. Netflix does not permit rolling firmware versions back. Again, beta firmware always takes a proactive action from the owner to install it, and there are always warnings that it can't be rolled back.

I've been unemployed now for almost twenty years. I don't work for nobooooody. biggrin.gif

EDIT: Thanks to Bob Pariseau I can correct this post. Until the current beta, it was possible to roll a beta back to the current official firmware. Special circumstances made that impossible with this beta release, therefor there were warnings about installing it.

Maybe this clarifies why I have been under employed for almost twenty years. eek.gif
post #7294 of 17735 Old 04-02-2013, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post

OK downloaded the beta and tested it a bit.

Picture quality has improved on HDMI 1 - I knew it. But this is just my impression - HDMI 1 and sharpness +1. PQ looks really, really good. I have to make the comparison again to my Denon, but they could be even now.

What changes were made to HDMI 1 PQ? I didn't see any documentation in the firmware notes. Thanks.

Yamaha RX-A1020 AVR | Paradigm Monitor 11v7 L/R | Paradigm Monitor Center 3v7 C | Paradigm Monitor Surround 3v7 LS/RS | Klipsch SW-350 sub
Samsung HL61A750 HDTV | Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player | Logitech Harmony 650 | Sony PS3 Slim 500gb | Nintendo Wii

My movie room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
post #7295 of 17735 Old 04-02-2013, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 48
^ Well for me it looked better and I guess, there is some change in the Qdeo programming, even this is not mentioned.

Please, this is only my personal impression and I have to double-check it, but for me the picture looked 'crisper' - better contrast, better post-processing - after the update. I can also be mistaken, therefore, I am careful but this was my first impression.
post #7296 of 17735 Old 04-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Hello all,
I just ordered a BDP-103, I also own a 83SE. I have a quick question about streaming FLAC audio files? Will I be able to stream to the 103 with media monkey from my windows 7 laptop? And can the 103 stream Apple Lossless files?
post #7297 of 17735 Old 04-02-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Anyone having issues with Netflix with the beta firmware? I've experienced a series of playback freezes since installing it.

On the plus side, I can confirm that bitstreaming TrueHD within MKV containers now works. If Oppo could get PGS subtitles working so we didn't have to convert them, it would be perfect.

Still the best everything-under-the-sun player on the market, despite its quirks.
post #7298 of 17735 Old 04-02-2013, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I've had no increased problems with Netflix streaming with the latest Beta Firmware versus the previous Official Firmware.

As for PGS subtitles in MKV this is something likely to not occur. OPPO as said that the PGS subtitles on Blu-ray and the ones stored in MKV are different, so they are not able to process the MKV PGS subtitles.
post #7299 of 17735 Old 04-02-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Is it possible to play a subtitle track from a separate file while playing a Blu-ray disc?
post #7300 of 17735 Old 04-02-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post

Anyone having issues with Netflix with the beta firmware? I've experienced a series of playback freezes since installing it.

On the plus side, I can confirm that bitstreaming TrueHD within MKV containers now works. If Oppo could get PGS subtitles working so we didn't have to convert them, it would be perfect.

Still the best everything-under-the-sun player on the market, despite its quirks.

Yep! I posted this in the 105 thread and also sent oppo an Email, same problem as you playback freezes.
post #7301 of 17735 Old 04-02-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Yep! I posted this in the 105 thread and also sent oppo an Email, same problem as you playback freezes.

I'll send them an e-mail also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

As for PGS subtitles in MKV this is something likely to not occur. OPPO as said that the PGS subtitles on Blu-ray and the ones stored in MKV are different, so they are not able to process the MKV PGS subtitles.

My old Popcorn Hour had no problems playing MKVs with PGS subtitles ripped straight from a Blu-ray disc using MakeMKV. No conversion, just remuxing the video, audio, and subtitle files into an MKV wrapper.
post #7302 of 17735 Old 04-02-2013, 07:32 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

And can the 103 stream Apple Lossless files?

Not as such. The server would have to convert them to another format first.

-Bill
post #7303 of 17735 Old 04-02-2013, 07:47 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

That`s why I changed to AVCHD. Support of PGS subtitles and chapters.
post #7304 of 17735 Old 04-02-2013, 07:50 PM

Hi,

With a 103, what difference is there (if any) whether the audio data file reaches the player via a USB drive (HDD or flash drive) or a networked hard drive (Networked Attached Storage "NAS")?
post #7305 of 17735 Old 04-02-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post

OK downloaded the beta and tested it a bit.

DLNA access has improved substantially in speed. Excellent. It also plays m2ts, I merged from different m2ts files. No problems here. Updating the player was quick and easy. Picture quality has improved on HDMI 1 - I knew it. But this is just my impression - HDMI 1 and sharpness +1. PQ looks really, really good. I have to make the comparison again to my Denon, but they could be even now. I use a SIM2 D80E and have no picture or handshake problems. Except that the D80 is slow anyway regarding the handshake.

THANK YOU OPPO - EXCELLENT JOB! I believed in you guys and you didn't disappoint - at least for what I am doing with the Oppo.

? It played m2ts containers before the firmware update. I see no difference in DLNA file navigation speed nor time to begin playback.
post #7306 of 17735 Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hoepfl View Post

Hi,

With a 103, what difference is there (if any) whether the audio data file reaches the player via a USB drive (HDD or flash drive) or a networked hard drive (Networked Attached Storage "NAS")?

No difference. The player is directly accessing the file in both cases, assuming you speak of SMB and not DNLA.
post #7307 of 17735 Old 04-02-2013, 08:49 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 279

So when does it go official? With what I read forget the Beta!

post #7308 of 17735 Old 04-02-2013, 08:57 PM

Thanks rdgrimes.

What is the difference between SMB and DNLA?

Is SMB the best set up for NAS connection?
post #7309 of 17735 Old 04-02-2013, 08:57 PM

Liked: 12
Thank you bob!
post #7310 of 17735 Old 04-02-2013, 09:13 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hoepfl View Post

Thanks rdgrimes.

What is the difference between SMB and DNLA?

Is SMB the best set up for NAS connection?
SMB is a network share to your files, so what you see is basically the same is if you had a local drive connected to the Oppo via one of the USB ports. The nice thing about SMB is that the file system of the drive that's being accessed doesn't have to be supported by the player, you can have as many drives / shares as you want (with the USB ports you're ultimately limited to a small number of drives, even if you use a USB hub, and the drives don't need to be located near the player so there's no concern about noise and/or heat. With SMB, there's no transcoding involved, so only file types the player supports can be accessed. SMB support is built into Windows, Linux, Mac OS, but there are currently issues with support for Windows 8 and recent versions of Mac OS.

DLNA (not DNLA) shares most of the advantages of SMB, but is more useful if you have file types that aren't supported by the player as the DLNA server can handle transcoding the files to a format the player does support. The main downside to DLNA is that some file formats, such as the newly added DSD support, cannot be sent to the player without transcoding. The other downside is that you have to install software on the device that's hosting the files to serve them up. With DLNA there are 2 choices - you can either use the browser on the player to pull files from the server OR you can use the server to push files to the player. The second option opens the door to use a better UI for browsing your files - a number of us are using J River Media Center installed on our PC's and the JRemote smartphone app on our iPads to play music through our 103/105's.
post #7311 of 17735 Old 04-02-2013, 09:17 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

So when does it go official? With what I read forget the Beta!
Given the issues in the beta, I would guess that a different version will become the official version (hopefully with those issues fixed). But ask again later when that will happen - the future is never clear. The cake will come out of the oven when the toothpick stuck into it comes out clear. biggrin.gif
post #7312 of 17735 Old 04-02-2013, 09:18 PM

Thanks gsr, much appreciated!
post #7313 of 17735 Old 04-02-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Using SMBup can restore SMB functionality to the latest version of Mac OSX.
post #7314 of 17735 Old 04-02-2013, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm in the process of setting up my 103 to work with my universal remote. It sure would be convenient if the dedicated Vudu and Netflix buttons would turn on the player and switch it to the proper mode with a single button press.
post #7315 of 17735 Old 04-02-2013, 10:52 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View PostGiven the issues in the beta, I would guess that a different version will become the official version (hopefully with those issues fixed). But ask again later when that will happen - the future is never clear. The cake will come out of the oven when the toothpick stuck into it comes out clear. biggrin.gif

A cook, yes a man of refine taste :)

post #7316 of 17735 Old 04-03-2013, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

I've had no increased problems with Netflix streaming with the latest Beta Firmware versus the previous Official Firmware.

As many people might already know... The MKV container offers the ability to store audio, video and subtitle streams with or without compressed header support. Although many hardware player manufacturers have provided support for audio and video streams with compressed headers, sadly the same can't be said for graphics based (VOBsub or PGS) subtitles with compressed headers.

Unfortunately it can be a bit of a struggle for hardware player manufacturers to keep up with the various changes to certain MKV releases eek.gif

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #7317 of 17735 Old 04-03-2013, 02:20 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

. . . .

All firmware could be rolled back until Netflix streaming was added. Netflix does not permit rolling firmware versions back. Again, beta firmware always takes a proactive action from the owner to install it, and there are always warnings that it can't be rolled back.

. . . .

The recent history was that Public Beta firmware DID allow roll-back, but only to the most recent "Official" version. There was an unusual change in THIS Public Beta firmware release which prevented that. And of course that's why the prominent warning in the release notes about inability to roll-back.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #7318 of 17735 Old 04-03-2013, 02:28 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd371 View Post

I received my Oppo last week and I'm loving it. The only issue I'm having is it will not play through my Darbee. The picture goes black for a second then comes back, it does this every minute or so...sometimes sooner.
I read through this thread the best I could ( I'm at work right now) but with over 200 posts it's hard to find the answer. I have read that the 103 does work with the Darbee so I'd like to know if anybody has experienced the same problem.

The first reaction whenever you have connectivity problems like this is that something needs to be fixed in the HDMI cabling. For example, don't use short HDMI cables between any two devices (which includes the Darbee). The sweet spot in length for HDMI cables is about 6 feet (2 meters) between any two devices. Second, make sure ALL your HDMI cables are marked as "High Speed" or "For 1080p". Keep in mind that HDMI is an end to end protocol so ANY cable in the signal path could be the problem, including cables beyond the Darbee. Third, consider the entirety of your HDMI cabling and see if there is more than one possible HDMI path from the Source to the AVR or Source to the Display. If so, temporarily DISCONNECT the path you don't think you are using and see if the problem goes away. Some devices keep HDMI connections "live" even when you don't think they are selected for use. Some devices EVEN do this when the device is supposedly OFF!

Still having problems after the above? Try 1080i from end to end instead of 1080p. If 1080i works but 1080p does not, that's a pretty strong indication that some cable is marginal, perhaps a faulty cable.
--Bob
htwaits likes this.

post #7319 of 17735 Old 04-03-2013, 02:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Now it seems plausible to me that perhaps this same situation is what's also fundamentally responsible for the long-standing lip-sync problem which has been so hard for them to solve (I suppose), and which also was tied specifically to using the external HDMI inputs... which again pretty much means running your DVR through the 103, hence the same 1080i + DD5.1/2.0/5.1 exposure, same as with the "claymation" issue.
Just an update on this one...

Since I can always easily change back and forth, today I implemented the suggested workaround for the "claymation video symptom" from the beta firmware, and changed the audio output from my Linksys DMA2100 (sent to rear HDMI input on the 103) to be 2.0 stereo rather than DD5.1. So now the 103 only sees 2.0 stereo always.

And sure enough, the video artifact symptom has seemingly completely disappeared. I've been watching TV for about 5 hours now (all 1080i programs), and never saw it once. Since I was working simultaneously, and thus listening through speakers the whole time (which would be downmixed to 2-channel stereo anyway by the 103 before going to my AVR and on to the speakers), letting the DMA2100 do the processing to produce the 2.0 stereo audio isn't an issue with me. The 103 is now simply receiving 2.0 stereo and no longer has to downmix it itself for delivery out the L/R analog outputs.

So this appears to be a 100% successful workaround for the video problem tied to the beta firmware. As I've stated before, since this was never an issue before the beta firmware (even though audio was still bouncing between DD5.1 and DD2.0 when coming from my cable DMA2100 to the external rear HDMI input on the 103), Oppo obviously must have done something to open up the new vulnerability which produced the artifact.

Anyway, video problem definitely temporarily prevented by limiting audio input via external HDMI to always be 2.0 stereo.

But, most importantly, I can also report that the more significant and long-standing "lip-sync problem" from external HDMI input that has been present on the 103 since product introduction... well THAT IS ALSO GONE, as I speculated it might be once using this all-2.0 workaround!

So for this 5-hour TV watching stint, using external DVR input from my DMA2100 putting out 2.0 audio, not only has the claymation video problem disappeared but there has also been zero lip-sync symptoms this entire time! That NEVER happened until now.

So clearly that lip-sync problem is also directly tied to whatever processing and handling is associated with DD5.1 (perhaps also involved with my downmix-to-stereo setting), and/or the transitions to DD2.0 and back as common when using DVR input for 1080i channels with DD5.1 audio and having intermittent commercials on HDTV bounce to 2.0 audio.

==> looks to me like the lip-sync problem can also be disappeared, if you change your DVR to output 2.0 stereo audio.

Obviously both of these issues should NOT be happening even with the DVR allowed to truly feed DD5.1 audio just because audio temporarily changes to DD2.0 and back to DD5.1, but hopefully Oppo will now be able to chase this down and fix whatever is causing both problems... for real.
post #7320 of 17735 Old 04-03-2013, 07:42 AM

Thanks to all for the great advice and updates on this player. Bought on day one and it has been great so far!

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page