Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 253 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7561 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys, I've got a question and I know you Oppo guru's can help me. I've got quite a big DVD collection and want to watch them as "best" as I can. I already have a Blu-ray player (Yamaha 621) to play my Blu's.

I can now buy (second hand of course) an OPPO DV-981HD or an OPPO BDP-83 or the new 103. I've read alot about the previous model's great DVD upscaling capabilties. My question then is: Of the 3 above, wich will give me the best picture for my DVDs on my 3 meter wide screen?

Thanx a lot
Will

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7562 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 09:08 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flave View Post

No -- Oppo's CUE sheet support is strictly as a chapter mechanism for single file playback (this is on the beta firmware). I tried multiple file CUE sheets and it didn't work.
I hadn't recalled anyone trying it yet. What tool did you use to produce the cue sheet for multiple files? I'd like to experiment with this a bit to come up with a few test files to work with.
Quote:
I find it utterly incomprehensible that a $500 player does not support playlists!
Ignoring price for a minute (you must really hate Denon's $4500 flagship player, which doesn't support ANY of this file stuff biggrin.gif), what players out there do support playlists and in what manner?
post #7563 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I hadn't recalled anyone trying it yet. What tool did you use to produce the cue sheet for multiple files? I'd like to experiment with this a bit to come up with a few test files to work with.
For good information about Cue sheets, look here: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Cue_sheet

Essentially, you need to merge all your separate (multiple) Flac or (PCM) WAV files together into one one continuous stream and create a Cue sheet wink.gif

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7564 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I use the standard CUE file EAC produces when I rip a CD. For instance (from my "John Barleycorn Must Die" rip):
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
REM GENRE "Classic Rock"
REM DATE 1970
REM DISCID 63094308
REM COMMENT "ExactAudioCopy v0.95b4"
PERFORMER "Traffic"
TITLE "John Barleycorn Must Die"
FILE "(01) -John Barleycorn Must Die -Traffic - Glad.wav" WAVE
TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE "Glad"
PERFORMER "Traffic"
INDEX 01 00:00:00
FILE "(02) -John Barleycorn Must Die -Traffic - Freedom Rider.wav" WAVE
TRACK 02 AUDIO
TITLE "Freedom Rider"
PERFORMER "Traffic"
TRACK 03 AUDIO
TITLE "Empty Pages"
PERFORMER "Traffic"
INDEX 00 05:24:05
FILE "(03) -John Barleycorn Must Die -Traffic - Empty Pages.wav" WAVE
TRACK 04 AUDIO
TITLE "I Just Want You to Know"
PERFORMER "Traffic"
INDEX 00 04:33:00
FILE "(04) -John Barleycorn Must Die -Traffic - I Just Want You to Know.wav" WAVE
TRACK 05 AUDIO
TITLE "Stranger to Himself"
PERFORMER "Traffic"
INDEX 00 01:30:40
FILE "(05) -John Barleycorn Must Die -Traffic - Stranger to Himself.wav" WAVE
TRACK 06 AUDIO
TITLE "John Barleycorn"
PERFORMER "Traffic"
INDEX 00 03:50:58
FILE "(06) -John Barleycorn Must Die -Traffic - John Barleycorn.wav" WAVE
TRACK 07 AUDIO
TITLE "Every Mothers Son"
PERFORMER "Traffic"
INDEX 00 06:21:15
FILE "(07) -John Barleycorn Must Die -Traffic - Every Mothers Son.wav" WAVE
TRACK 08 AUDIO
TITLE "Sittin' Here Thinkin' of My Love"
PERFORMER "Traffic"
INDEX 00 07:05:35
FILE "(08) -John Barleycorn Must Die -Traffic - Sittin' Here Thinkin' of My Love.wav" WAVE
Quote:

Ignoring price for a minute (you must really hate Denon's $4500 flagship player, which doesn't support ANY of this file stuff biggrin.gif), what players out there do support playlists and in what manner?

Am I expecting too much? I don't think so. These units market themselves as network media players (in Oppo's case both a player and a renderer) and as such it should not be too much to expect them to support a basic feature like a simple playlist.
post #7565 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 10:14 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbejaan View Post

Hi guys, I've got a question and I know you Oppo guru's can help me. I've got quite a big DVD collection and want to watch them as "best" as I can. I already have a Blu-ray player (Yamaha 621) to play my Blu's.

I can now buy (second hand of course) an OPPO DV-981HD or an OPPO BDP-83 or the new 103. I've read alot about the previous model's great DVD upscaling capabilties. My question then is: Of the 3 above, wich will give me the best picture for my DVDs on my 3 meter wide screen?

Thanx a lot
Will

I would drop consideration of the 981. It was a good player for its time, but the Faroudja processing of that generation can't compare with ABT in the -83 or QDEO and Mediatek in the -103.

Many people are very fond of the ABT look for DVDs and I still use my -83 and 983 DVD player. On the other hand the -103 gives you more processing choices, from "little" to "lots". It would be hard to judge without trying it hands-on.

The -103 is in production now so will be getting more frequent firmware upgrades, but if DVD is your main application you don't need firmware updates.

I have no strong recommendation. I would not fear buying a used OPPO of the -83 vintage. OPPO does very reasonable fixed-price out of warranty repairs so you will be able to keep running any of their models for a long time.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #7566 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:

Am I expecting too much? I don't think so. These units market themselves as network media players (in Oppo's case both a player and a renderer) and as such it should not be too much to expect them to support a basic feature like a simple playlist.

Have you tried out the new Oppo playlist function?
Quote:
Added a feature that allows the creation of playlists while accessing music files from local USB storage. When navigating these music files, pressing the OPTION button will bring up a menu with a prompt to either "Add to playlist" or "Goto playlist". The created playlist file is stored within the local USB storage, inside "OPPO_Media_Info/playlist".
post #7567 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroatl View Post

So I ripped my copy of Depeche Mode's "Black Celebration" last night and converted the sacd iso to dsf and dff files using sacd extract. The thing that struck me right away was that dsf files were more than twice the size as the same dff file, so using the dff file as the medium seemed like the logical choice to the Oppo 103. I also ripped the sacd iso to multichannel flac using foobar and flac frontend for comparison.

My results are mixed.

The dff file would not play in the Oppo. The dsf file played, but the rear channels were not playing properly. It was late, so I'll have to try another rip. The flac files played perfect for both my 93 and 103 via DLNA, and I could not tell the difference in sonic quality. I noticed a better sonic quality in the dsf file, but as I mentioned the rear channels were not playing all the sound if that makes sense.

I could not get SMB working on my 103. I'm sure it's user error. I can see the smb share through my iMac, and it prompts me for user and password. I enter my username and pw, but it says login error.

I'll be doing more tests tonight....
Multichannel DSD is obligatorily DST compressed on SACD discs. Both DFF & DSF can be multichannel. Afaik DFF audio files can be DST compressed while DSF's not. Your DFF playback problem is a negative surprise to me. I' don't own a 103 but hoped it would support multichannel DST-DFF files flawlessly. Looking forward to hearing about your next test.
post #7568 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
rdgrimes,

Looking forward to your findings too. MC DSF support will likely mean I buy a 103.
post #7569 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Have you tried out the new Oppo playlist function?

Unfortunately this feature is only available on USB playback. I have all my files on a NAS and use SMB to access them so I would need playlist functionality via SMB. Shouldn't be too hard.
post #7570 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post

I make one m2ts file out of it, play it from my Windows 2012 server via DLNA. Works absolutely fine even via 802.11n WiFi and with the beta firmware, but the European version from Oppo UK.

I haven't tried a whole BD structure.

Correct me if I am wrong but the 103 could always and will always be able to play m2ts files outside a BD structure.
post #7571 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 11:51 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali is mental View Post

Correct me if I am wrong but the 103 could always and will always be able to play m2ts files outside a BD structure.

Could always: true.

Will always: we sure hope so.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #7572 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 11:57 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

I was simply asking for some examples to see how other manufacturers might handle playlists. I wasn't suggesting that your request (other than, perhaps, your tone) was unreasonable. But if you'd rather just complain about things, then carry on and I won't bother replying further to your posts.
post #7573 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by grill View Post

Multichannel DSD is obligatorily DST compressed on SACD discs. Both DFF & DSF can be multichannel. Afaik DFF audio files can be DST compressed while DSF's not. Your DFF playback problem is a negative surprise to me. I' don't own a 103 but hoped it would support multichannel DST-DFF files flawlessly. Looking forward to hearing about your next test.

I have had no problems playing DSF or DFF files (ripped or downloaded) on either the 103 or the 105.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #7574 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboileau View Post

I know we are disgressing a bit from the topic, but my ultimate aim is to find the best/easiest route in creating ripped files of my CDs that will match the 103s capabilities. Gapless wise, quality wise and include art cover that will show up when played from SMB share.

Just for the avoidance of doubt: both AIF and WAV are full (lossless) quality, and both allow embedded tags with meta data (title, artist, album, genre, contributors, duration, format, etc.) as well as album art images.

It is worthwhile to note that the meta data is usually stored at the end of the file, after the music samples, so when a player is playing a file using SMB it will first have to download the full file (or at least download the end of the file) before it can read and display that meta data. Depending on the player, it may mean either that the music starts playing quickly, and the meta data is only displayed after some delay (or vice versa). A bad player implementation may even end up downloading each track twice: once for the music samples, and once for the meta data.

In respect of meta data, playing tracks via the UPnP/DLNA mechanism is probably more efficient than playing via SMB, since the UPnP/DLNA Media Server will probably have pre-cached the meta data in a fast access database (or even in RAM), so that the information can be accessed and sent to the player much quicker than if the player would itself have to parse the whole file on the fly.

Concerning gapless playback, it is certainly possible that the format might have some impact. In a linear non compressed file (like WAV and AIF) the player is reading music samples at a fixed bitrate of (say) 44100-Hz x 16-bits x 2-channels per second, and it can therefore calculate, from the file size less the amount of bits already played, exactly how close it is to the end of the track. This means the player always has sufficient information for it to prepare itself in good time and start to pre-load the next track for playing gaplessly. By contrast, with a variable bitrate compression format (like FLAC), it is possible that the player might be caught unawares without having had sufficient time to start to pre-load the next track. Also the above comment about loading meta data may also have an impact of delays between pre-loading the next track...

Having said that, I think that as far as gapless playback is concerned, the biggest variable is not the music format. In my experience there are some players which are good at it (e.g. by starting to pre-load the next track as mentioned above), and there are some which are bad (e.g. not doing any pre-loading). Furthermore, when using UPnP/DLNA as the command mechanism, it depends on whether the player implements the (optional) UPnP SetNextAvTransportUri function. The majority of players do not. Note: this SetNextAvTransportUri issue only applies to the UPnP/DLNA use case, and not to the SMB use case.

Note that, personally I have neither (yet) tested if the Oppo has the capability to pre-load the next track, nor if it supports UPnP SetNextAvTransportUri...
post #7575 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbejaan View Post

Thanx a lot
Will

I'd strongly recommend the 83. For me the ABT chip was the best Oppo has had for SD-DVDs. As I've said here (ad
nauseum, sorry to those who are sick of reading it) I'm a film maker - and the ABT in the 83 gives playback that is closest to
the original masters I oversaw for DVD. The 103 is nice, but to me the newer chips both add minor things that shouldn't be
there, and lose minor things that should.

(BTW - the difference isn't night and day, it's not like you'll be sad if you get the 103 - but the 83 has a better
more accurate balance of sharpness, contrast, color, detail, etc. It's what I use to look at dallies and other work
to try and see things as close to what I'm sent as can be.)

The 981 should be off the table. If you were to get a DVD only player you'd want the 983, which has the
same ABT chip as the 83. The 981 was fine in its day, but not up to the others.
post #7576 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

Just for the avoidance of doubt: both AIF and WAV are full (lossless) quality, and both allow embedded tags with meta data (title, artist, album, genre, contributors, duration, format, etc.) as well as album art images.
HUH? I know nothing about AIF, but I'm quite certain that WAV does NOT support metatdata tags. That's the obvious advantage of FLAC and other lossless compressed formats including less popular APE, etc, which also support metadata tags. That's really why FLAC has an obvious advantage over WAV as a music file format for portable music players and "smart" media player software... because not only is it smaller than WAV and also bit-for-bit 100% identical to WAV and sounds IDENTICAL to WAV but it DOES support metadata tags as well.

Furthermore, I recently discovered that unlike most portable music players as well as PC media players (e.g. Winamp, etc.) for the 103 to display album cover art it ABSOLUTELY MUST BE IMBEDDED IN THE INDIVIDUAL METADATA TAG FOR THAT INDIVIDUAL MUSIC FILE, in order for it to be displayed onscreen while the 103 is playing music.

In other words, my own FLAC music file collection (created by me, from my own physical CD collection) includes "album folders" each with its one single individual "cover.jpg" album art image file in that folder. The music files from that album are also in the same folder, but each of the music files did NOT have its own imbedded (and therefore duplicated) album art in the FLAC tags (present in each FLAC music file). Unfortunately, NONE of the album art represented by these "cover.jpg" images in each folder display when the FLAC files are played on the 103.

I contacted Oppo support and they confirmed that the software design of the 103 only displays ALBUM ART IMBEDDED IN TAGS, and not external "cover.jpg" album art in the containing folder. I am currently working with MP3Tag to imbed each of the 650 "cover.jpg" images I have into the tags of the 1150 FLAC files I have from those 650 albums, so that the album art will display onscreen when the 103 plays those FLAC music file. My Cowon J3 doesn't need that, but the 103 does.
post #7577 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidetracked View Post

... it's not like you'll be sad if you get the 103 - but the 83 has a better more accurate balance of sharpness, contrast, color, detail, etc.

Dang !! I "upgraded" from the 83 to the 103 and sold the former. The main reason was that the 103 supports 3D movies and the 83 did not. However when I compare the number of 3D movies that I own with the number of SD DVD movies, then -- well -- I think I am sad ...
post #7578 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I have had no problems playing DSF or DFF files (ripped or downloaded) on either the 103 or the 105.
Kal, thanks for the info. Can you also confirm that a ripped multichannel DFF file in compressed (ie. DST) form played fine? FYG, the file size of 5.1 DST is similar to 5.1 FLAC 24/88.2.
post #7579 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

By contrast, with a variable bitrate compression format (like FLAC), it is possible that the player might be caught unawares without having had sufficient time to start to pre-load the next track. Also the above comment about loading meta data may also have an impact of delays between pre-loading the next track...
In my experience, no... My FLAC+Cue files are working perfectly. Track navigation is spot on. I'm very, very pleased with this new option.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
post #7580 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 01:50 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:

FLAC is analogous to a ZIP file in which the raw music samples are losslessly compressed. Its advantage is that it consumes less disk space than an uncompressed music format. But its dis-advantage is that every time you play the track, your player has to uncompress the contents and convert it (internally) back to raw music samples again; the decompression is a non-linear CPU intensive algorithm, and at least some people claim that the extra CPU load can produce digital noise on the audio outputs. Another dis-advantage is that depending on the audio track contents, the FLAC algorithm varies its compression ratio, and this means that when the player has to do a Seek to a new position within the track, it can only estimate approximately the correct seek target within the FLAC file.

Since the cost of storage is plunging day by day, I personally think that the reduced disk space footprint of FLAC is becoming a non issue, and therefore I would personally recommend going for an un-compressed format in order to eliminate the CPU decompression load, and eliminate Seek inaccuracies. There are basically only three uncompressed formats that contain linear raw music samples; namely AIF, WAV and LPCM 1).

The AIF and WAV formats have basically the same content, whereby WAV uses a Low/High byte order and AIF uses a High/Low byte order. Intel CPUs use Low/High, D/A Converters tend to use High/Low, Windows favours Low/High, Apple favours High/Low, WAV is perhaps a bit more "open source" than AIF, but overall basically there is not much to choose between the two. I think the Oppo with the new firmware can play both AIF and WAV. So I would personally recommend either of them.

Note: 1) LPCM contains only raw music samples, and contains no information about sample rates, bit depths, nor meta data tags, so it as rather arcane, and thus not recommended.

I use AIFF that way no unzipping smile.gif

My humble Cinema
post #7581 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

I know nothing about AIF, but I'm quite certain that WAV does NOT support metatdata tags.

Sorry to say it but you are wrong about this. Or indeed right, depending on whether I would be answering the first or second part of your sentence wink.gif

Yes, it is true that the original so called "canonical" specification for WAV files defined only a very limited number of data "boxes" - specifically those for the file identification header, binary sample structure, and the raw music bytes themelves. However the canonical format was designed to be extensible and so it allows other data "boxes" to be defined and added in an open ended manner. And in the case of WAV that is exactly what has happened. A typical such tagged WAV file will contain an ID3V2 "box" at the end, that contains the respective meta data.

The AIF format is defined in a similar way. Actually, I think the original canonical WAV format was derived from the original AIF architecture (the two just using different "box" definitions), and so both AIF and WAV can be extended (and have indeed both have been so extended), to include embedded meta data boxes.

And, by the way, this reminds me of another sin that is sometimes committed by bad player implementations: sometimes such players are (like you) unaware of the existence of open ended extension "boxes" and they may therefore even try to "play" the meta data as if it were music samples. Obviously this sounds like a dogs breakfast. I don't know if the Oppo commits this sin. I suppose (and hope) not...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Furthermore, I recently discovered that unlike most portable music players as well as PC media players (e.g. Winamp, etc.) for the 103 to display album cover art it ABSOLUTELY MUST BE IMBEDDED IN THE INDIVIDUAL METADATA TAG FOR THAT INDIVIDUAL MUSIC FILE, in order for it to be displayed onscreen while the 103 is playing music.

Correct. This is another argument for using the UPnP/DLNA mechanism rather than SMB, since most decent UPnP/DLNA Media Servers are clever enough to solve the case where the cover art is in a separate image file in the same folder as the music files.
post #7582 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 02:06 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, BDP-103 HDMI output 1 just is not compatible with my Sharp LC-65D64U bought 2007. Interesting that the small Sharp was also available circa 2007 and output 1 works with it. OPPO support also had be change from Split to Dual, Change to LPCM, power sequence, etc. and nothing helped. I did take the OPPO down stairs to another HDTV (LG 47LM7600) which is a 2012/2013 model and HDMI Output 1 did work OK. So if I want to use QDEO processing in HDMI output 1, I need to use the audio from a sound bar connected to the optical SPDIF which isn't too inconvenient when viewing video on the LC-65D64U. I just think it's bizarre that OPPO HDMI output 2 works fine but HDMI output1 will not provide functional audio to the LC-65D64U regardless which of the 3 HDMI inputs are used.

Bob (also)
post #7583 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

Yes, it is true that the original so called "canonical" specification for WAV files defined only a very limited number of data "boxes" - specifically those for the file identification header, binary sample structure, and the raw music bytes themelves. However the canonical format was designed to be extensible and so it allows other data "boxes" to be defined and added in an open ended manner. And in the case of WAV that is exactly what has happened. A typical such tagged WAV file will contain an ID3V2 "box" at the end, that contains the respective meta data.
I stand corrected I guess.

On a theoretical basis anyway, I suppose it is technically possible to add a tag to a WAV file... in an open ended manner. And ID3 tags were intended for MP3 file, not for WAV files, although I suppose technically you could store an ID3 tag in a WAV file as you've described.

But whatever the method used, metadata tags on WAV files are non-standard and only rarely supported. Personally I don't know of a software player which supports tags in WAV files and in particular displays album art from such a tag in a WAV file. But then I don't know all software players.

However the widely used MP3Tag software itself does not support tagging WAV files. Mp3tag supports the following Windows-compatible audio formats:

Advanced Audio Coding (aac)
Free Lossless Audio Codec (flac)
Monkey's Audio (ape)
Mpeg Layer 3 (mp3)
MPEG-4 (mp4 / m4a / m4b / iTunes compatible)
Musepack (mpc)
Ogg Vorbis (ogg)
OptimFROG (ofr)
OptimFROG DualStream (ofs)
Speex (spx)
Tom's Audio Kompressor (tak)
True Audio (tta)
Windows Media Audio (wma)
WavPack (wv)

While there are applications that can embed metadata in WAV files, this method is not widely supported. In other words, your embedded metadata is only as useful as the playback application's ability to read it. I think it's safe to say that FLAC is the most widely supported lossless file format that also supports embedded metadata (and also Apple's AIFF).
post #7584 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grill View Post

Kal, thanks for the info. Can you also confirm that a ripped multichannel DFF file in compressed (ie. DST) form played fine? FYG, the file size of 5.1 DST is similar to 5.1 FLAC 24/88.2.

I have no certainty that the ripped DFF is compressed but it is nearly twice the size of the .iso so I suspect it is not compressed.  Also, it is the same size as the downloaded DFF.  

As I said, I have not had any trouble playing the ripped files in either DSF or DFF.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #7585 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 04:37 PM

Given that sacd-r backups of my sacd discs are no longer supported in the latest update, does anyone know of a good mac os program that can extract dsf and dff files from sacd iso's? Or is there no mac software like this at the moment? What are you all using on windows?
post #7586 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 05:46 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jottle View PostGiven that sacd-r backups of my sacd discs are no longer supported in the latest update, does anyone know of a good mac os program that can extract dsf and dff files from sacd iso's? Or is there no mac software like this at the moment? What are you all using on windows?

That would be great I have over two hundred SACDs would love to rip them in high def formats

My humble Cinema
post #7587 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 06:02 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

That would be great I have over two hundred SACDs would love to rip them in high def formats
This is really getting way off topic here, but in order to get the ISO files, you need to track down an older PS3 that supports SACD and make sure it has relatively old firmware. One that is done, you have to hack it to install software that can extract either an ISO file or individual tracks. Once an ISO file has been extracted, there are tools out there that can extract the individual tracks. The hard part is locating an appropriate older PS3 as they don't all have ISO support, and many have been upgraded to newer firmware that doesn't support the hacks that are required (there are services that can downgrade the firmware, but that adds to the cost). The bottom line is that it's not a simple matter of installing software on a Windows PC or Mac and putting your SACD's into the drive to rip them like it is with CD's. I've been debating about going to the effort of tracking down an appropriate PS3 and going to the bother of hacking it, but have a relatively small number of SACD's which means it probably isn't really worth the effort.
post #7588 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jottle View Post

Given that sacd-r backups of my sacd discs are no longer supported in the latest update, does anyone know of a good mac os program that can extract dsf and dff files from sacd iso's? Or is there no mac software like this at the moment? What are you all using on windows?

The same program (SACD Extract) is available for both Windows and OSX:

https://code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper/downloads/list
post #7589 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Installation information:
http://code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper/source/browse/trunk/readme

Project page:
http://code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #7590 of 18477 Old 04-09-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:

I really believe that you would be better off buying a Sony blu ray player and not updating the firmware so that you can use it just as a sacd-r player. I guess that is what I am going to do when I finally upgrade the firmware on the oppo. I am really not happy about this whole mess but nobody is listening to me.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Se50uy04 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page