http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7832 of 17766 Old 04-16-2013, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Can someone give me details on how the Roku streaming stick integrates with the Oppo.

Is it as simple as really just changing the Oppo to that HDMI input and the Roku interface takes over?
Is it more integrated such that the Roku channels are on the main Oppo UI, for example?
Does it at least give a nice Roku graphic or something on the main UI to select the stick?
post #7833 of 17766 Old 04-16-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post

Can someone give me details on how the Roku streaming stick integrates with the Oppo.

Is it as simple as really just changing the Oppo to that HDMI input and the Roku interface takes over?
Is it more integrated such that the Roku channels are on the main Oppo UI, for example?
Does it at least give a nice Roku graphic or something on the main UI to select the stick?
The Roku Stick shows as a additional icon on the BDP-103/105 home menu when detected. When you click on Roku, it automatically switches to the HDMI/MHL front input where it is plugged in and either shows the Roku still booting or the Roku interface if it is done. You'll need to configure the WiFi for your home network (mandatory) From there you can add channels from the store as you need. To exit the Roku GUI just change input on your remote back to the Blu-ray player.

The Oppo remote control allows you to fully control the Roku Stick. Yes it is very integrated.

Oppo Beta Group
post #7834 of 17766 Old 04-16-2013, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hypothetically, if I was going to combine the remote of the Oppo 103 and my TV with a universal remote, which model would you suggest? I'm a little leery of doing this because some of the important buttons on the Oppo remote may not be replaced on a universal.

Yamaha RX-A1020 AVR | Paradigm Monitor 11v7 L/R | Paradigm Monitor Center 3v7 C | Paradigm Monitor Surround 3v7 LS/RS | Klipsch SW-350 sub
Samsung HL61A750 HDTV | Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player | Logitech Harmony 650 | Sony PS3 Slim 500gb | Nintendo Wii

My movie room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
post #7835 of 17766 Old 04-16-2013, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

The Roku Stick shows as a additional icon on the BDP-103/105 home menu when detected. When you click on Roku, it automatically switches to the HDMI/MHL front input where it is plugged in and either shows the Roku still booting or the Roku interface if it is done. You'll need to configure the WiFi for your home network (mandatory) From there you can add channels from the store as you need. To exit the Roku GUI just change input on your remote back to the Blu-ray player.

The Oppo remote control allows you to fully control the Roku Stick. Yes it is very integrated.

Thanks!

I'm debating between what source components I want to implement in my new set up. Looking at the new Samsung BD-F7500 player versus the Oppo 103 w/Roku. I'd like to integrate into as few sources as possible as I may be HDMI input limited with my pre/pro choice. Having disc playback together with streaming services (want Amazon, Vudu, Hulu+, Netflix) on a single HDMI input is ideal, but I also need it nicely integrated for the WAF. So weighing the merits of Oppo plus Roku or just the Samsung with it's Smart Hub.

What do you get if you take a new Roku 3 and plug it into the Oppo HDMI input? Can the menu icon reflect that it's a Roku or does it show a generic input name/icon that can't be changed?

I'd really appreciate if someone could post a pic of the UI with the streaming stick as well. Can't find any pics so far by searching online.
post #7836 of 17766 Old 04-17-2013, 04:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Have you just tried to step past name and password and hit "enter."

Hello,
Yes I have tried that! Is the Oppo asking for the Password that the PC gives you for access that I have turned off? also what user name is it asking for? I have tried these and it still doesn't work? Anyway I emailed Oppo let's see what they have to say.
post #7837 of 17766 Old 04-17-2013, 04:12 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post

Hypothetically, if I was going to combine the remote of the Oppo 103 and my TV with a universal remote, which model would you suggest? I'm a little leery of doing this because some of the important buttons on the Oppo remote may not be replaced on a universal.

Any Harmony remote. I have all the 103 buttons programmed into it.
post #7838 of 17766 Old 04-17-2013, 05:17 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

Hello,
Yes I have tried that! Is the Oppo asking for the Password that the PC gives you for access that I have turned off? also what user name is it asking for? I have tried these and it still doesn't work? Anyway I emailed Oppo let's see what they have to say.
It would be the username and password that you gave permission to when you configured the share on the PC.

On the Windows side, assuming the drive is a NTFS partition, you need to do 2 things to get a share working:

1) Share the folder. To do this open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder you want to share. Right click on it and select Properties. Next, select the Sharing tab, click on Advanced Sharing, and select the "Share this folder" checkbox. Click on the Permissions button and give share permissions to the user(s) you want to be able to access the share. If you aren't concerned about security, you can give access to the "Everyone" user.

2) Setup security on the folder. Now, select Ok, Close, etc. until you're back to the Properties dialog and select the Security tab. Under this tab, make sure that the users you gave Share access also have, at a minimum, Read permission to the folder you're sharing. This is important because if you don't complete this step, you'll never be able to get access to the shares from the Oppo. If you're having trouble getting the shares to work, give the appropriate user "full control" to help get it working and then go back in and increase the security later if you want to.

If you give user "Everyone" permission to the share and give that user appropriate security access, you should be able to connect to the shares from the Oppo without entering a username or password.
post #7839 of 17766 Old 04-17-2013, 06:06 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali is mental View Post

If you don't mind me asking,

-What model do you use?

-When you say you have all the 103 buttons programmed in, do you mean you entered a code and it worked, or did you have to individually teach it each button?

Thanks.

Yamaha RX-A1020 AVR | Paradigm Monitor 11v7 L/R | Paradigm Monitor Center 3v7 C | Paradigm Monitor Surround 3v7 LS/RS | Klipsch SW-350 sub
Samsung HL61A750 HDTV | Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player | Logitech Harmony 650 | Sony PS3 Slim 500gb | Nintendo Wii

My movie room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
post #7840 of 17766 Old 04-17-2013, 06:55 AM

Liked: 15
I use my Harmony One. It's linked through the Logitech web site to my old Oppo 83 settings, but I just added some of the new buttons on the 103 (like the front HDMI port for my Roku) by manually pairing it from the Oppo remote (nose to nose, IR to IR). No biggie to do so.

As to the Roku stick, it works very well and is only $50 from Oppo. I use Plex to stream from my Mac, and they work well together. Roku has all sorts of free and pay channels, so you can configure it however you want. Setting WiFi up is simple, you just add your home network settings/password to the Oppo. Roku setup is equally simple.
post #7841 of 17766 Old 04-17-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post

Thanks!

I'm debating between what source components I want to implement in my new set up. Looking at the new Samsung BD-F7500 player versus the Oppo 103 w/Roku. I'd like to integrate into as few sources as possible as I may be HDMI input limited with my pre/pro choice. Having disc playback together with streaming services (want Amazon, Vudu, Hulu+, Netflix) on a single HDMI input is ideal, but I also need it nicely integrated for the WAF. So weighing the merits of Oppo plus Roku or just the Samsung with it's Smart Hub.

What do you get if you take a new Roku 3 and plug it into the Oppo HDMI input? Can the menu icon reflect that it's a Roku or does it show a generic input name/icon that can't be changed?

I'd really appreciate if someone could post a pic of the UI with the streaming stick as well. Can't find any pics so far by searching online.
Check out the CNET video of the Roku Stick in action. The interface is Roku 2 at this time, but a software update is coming soon to give it the same interface as the Roku 3.

Oppo Beta Group
post #7842 of 17766 Old 04-17-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Is the only port that you can plug the Roku streaming stick into the one on the front of the 103? If so, this won't really work for me, as my 103 is in a cabinet with a door very close to the front of the unit.
post #7843 of 17766 Old 04-17-2013, 07:53 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

Is the only port that you can plug the Roku streaming stick into the one on the front of the 103? If so, this won't really work for me, as my 103 is in a cabinet with a door very close to the front of the unit.
Yes, only the front HDMI input has MHL. You can use a HDMI right angle adapter so it won't stick out so far - I'm using one from Monoprice.
post #7844 of 17766 Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:

Yes.

Monoprice has right-angle connectors that point in different directions.

Originally OPPO said not to use short extension cables to reposition the stick, but I don't know if that is current thinking.

-Bill
post #7845 of 17766 Old 04-17-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Yes, only the front HDMI input has MHL. You can use a HDMI right angle adapter so it won't stick out so far - I'm using one from Monoprice.

I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks for the tip! It's hard to get a sense of how big the Roku stick is from the photos. I suppose it's possible that it might barely fit in my cabinet without using the adapter if I scoot my player back a tiny bit. Does anyone have the measurements for the stick?
post #7846 of 17766 Old 04-17-2013, 08:07 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 805
^ If you have enough space for the disc tray to open without banging into the cabinet door, then you have enough space for the ROKU Streaming Stick.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #7847 of 17766 Old 04-17-2013, 08:10 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks for the tip! It's hard to get a sense of how big the Roku stick is from the photos. I suppose it's possible that it might barely fit in my cabinet without using the adapter if I scoot my player back a tiny bit. Does anyone have the measurements for the stick?
Note that the following aren't exact measurements, but rounded up slightly. When using the right angle adapter, it protrudes about 1 1/4" from the front of my BDP-105. When not using the adapter, the RSS protrudes about 2 3/4" from the front of the BDP-105.
post #7848 of 17766 Old 04-17-2013, 08:12 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ If you have enough space for the disc tray to open without banging into the cabinet door, then you have enough space for the ROKU Streaming Stick.
While that's true, most of us open the doors on our cabinets to open the disc tray, but keep the doors closed otherwise biggrin.gif.
post #7849 of 17766 Old 04-17-2013, 08:45 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 805
^ Personally, I don't think that's a great idea. It is too easy to do a Tray Open while the cabinet door is closed. Now the Tray has a safety mechanism which will reverse it if it is blocked, but I still think it better not to have that happen. It probably makes a difference that I often use Tray Open as my way to power up the player.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #7850 of 17766 Old 04-17-2013, 08:56 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

^ Personally, I don't think that's a great idea. It is too easy to do a Tray Open while the cabinet door is closed. Now the Tray has a safety mechanism which will reverse it if it is blocked, but I still think it better not to have that happen. It probably makes a difference that I often use Tray Open as my way to power up the player.
We don't all use the tray open command to power up the player. By my choice, the remote I use (the Oppo remote is stashed away) doesn't even have the tray open button on it as I always use the button on the player to open the tray. So I have to open the door to open the tray and it's pretty much impossible to issue a tray open command without opening the door first. Since I'm rack mounting the player in my cabinet using Oppo's BDP-105 rack mount kit the position of the player can not be adjusted. Besides, I wouldn't want the player pushed that far back in a cabinet anyway. In my case, the discrete power on command is used to power up the player when I select the Oppo 105 activity on my remote.
post #7851 of 17766 Old 04-17-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Note that the following aren't exact measurements, but rounded up slightly. When using the right angle adapter, it protrudes about 1 1/4" from the front of my BDP-105. When not using the adapter, the RSS protrudes about 2 3/4" from the front of the BDP-105.

Thanks! That helps quite a bit.
Quote:

If you have enough space for the disc tray to open without banging into the cabinet door, then you have enough space for the ROKU Streaming Stick ...
Quote:

It is too easy to do a Tray Open while the cabinet door is closed. Now the Tray has a safety mechanism which will reverse it if it is blocked, but I still think it better not to have that happen. It probably makes a difference that I often use Tray Open as my way to power up the player ...

Like gsr already surmised, I only open the door to the cabinet when I am loading or unloading a disc. It's not possible for me to accidentally open the tray, since I am using a universal remote that I didn't even program with the open/close command. I figure the only time I would ever need to possibly open the disc tray is when I am physically in front of the machine anyway, so it's not really an inconvenience just to push the open/close button. As far as turning on the 103, I always use a discrete on command that I programmed into a macro.

Edit: Looks like gsr beat me to the punch with almost the exact same reasoning. I guess great minds think alike! smile.gif
post #7852 of 17766 Old 04-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It would be the username and password that you gave permission to when you configured the share on the PC.

On the Windows side, assuming the drive is a NTFS partition, you need to do 2 things to get a share working:

1) Share the folder. To do this open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder you want to share. Right click on it and select Properties. Next, select the Sharing tab, click on Advanced Sharing, and select the "Share this folder" checkbox. Click on the Permissions button and give share permissions to the user(s) you want to be able to access the share. If you aren't concerned about security, you can give access to the "Everyone" user.

2) Setup security on the folder. Now, select Ok, Close, etc. until you're back to the Properties dialog and select the Security tab. Under this tab, make sure that the users you gave Share access also have, at a minimum, Read permission to the folder you're sharing. This is important because if you don't complete this step, you'll never be able to get access to the shares from the Oppo. If you're having trouble getting the shares to work, give the appropriate user "full control" to help get it working and then go back in and increase the security later if you want to.

If you give user "Everyone" permission to the share and give that user appropriate security access, you should be able to connect to the shares from the Oppo without entering a username or password.

Hello,
Thank you very much. I will try this when I get home from work today.
post #7853 of 17766 Old 04-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hello,
I just got a response back from Oppo and they told me i should download oshare. This way I will not have to log in.

Regards
Jeff
post #7854 of 17766 Old 04-17-2013, 10:07 AM

Liked: 56
oShare is working for me without problems on oppo 103 and also on panasonic gt50 too.

Panasonic TX-P42GT50E, Oppo 103, Schiit Vali, Denon AHD2000 + Moon Audio Blue Dragon V3, Phonak Audeo 121, Vsonic GR07, Fiio E17, Cowon S9, XLO cables :: CalMAN 5 Enthusiast,Chromapure Standard, i1D3, i1Display 2, TED's Calibration Blu Ray Disc v1.0 & v1.1
post #7855 of 17766 Old 04-17-2013, 10:08 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali is mental View Post

I have the Harmony One and it works great with my 103.

JJ

JJ
post #7856 of 17766 Old 04-17-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMONIE View Post

I have the Harmony One and it works great with my 103.

JJ

+1

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #7857 of 17766 Old 04-17-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

+1

my harmony touch works great with my oppo 93.

Jacob
post #7858 of 17766 Old 04-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

+1
As does the Harmony Touch...but I have to say that I'm not a big fan of my Harmony Touch remotes. Other than the fact that they are shorter and fit in the hand better, they are a pain sometimes as the gestures to select functions on their screen aren't too reliable (I often activate one of the functions when moving stuff). I actually prefer my Harmony Ones. smile.gif
post #7859 of 17766 Old 04-17-2013, 10:46 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 279
They released additional Harmony called Ultimate! Same design?
post #7860 of 17766 Old 04-17-2013, 10:52 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

Hello,
I just got a response back from Oppo and they told me i should download oshare. This way I will not have to log in.
While that will most likely work well, keep in mind that you'll be using DLNA with oshare, which has a different set of restrictions (such as you can't play DSD files over DLNA without having the server transcode them to a format that's supported over DLNA) compared to SMB. Depending on your needs, using DLNA may work just fine and it does open the possibility of using methods other than the player's UI to browse and play your music.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page