post #7921 of 17944 Old 04-20-2013, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magkin View Post

Dunno, is there two HDMI transmitters in the Oppo, for the dual display feature?

I got the recommendation from the shop there I bought the unit to try the latest beta firmware...

I believe the Marvell 88DE2755 has an integrated HDMI v1.4 Rx/Tx circuit. Not sure if the use of this circuit may also affects DSD capability on HDMI 1 or cause a difference on HDMI behaviour compared to HDMI 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7922 of 17944 Old 04-20-2013, 01:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonywoy View Post

Thanks, I think I understand. I will need to get a second HDMI to run from my Epson 8350.
Well, technically I would describe it as TO your Epson 8350.

So you will have one HDMI cable running from HDMI output of the AVR to one HDMI input of the 8350, and a second HDMI cable running from HDMI-1 output from the 103 to the second HDMI input of the 8350. And depending on whether you want to be viewing source content from the three source devices feeding the AVR or from the 103 (BluRay or Netflix) you will set the 8350 to be using HDMI input 1 or 2.

Quote:
According to what you are saying, my PVR is running from my receiver as it always did, but I was looking to use the Oppo is upscale my TV material, as I have read it is able to. I am only getting the Qdeo upscaler from the Bluray or streamed material. This is where my confusion is.
You keep changing your description of what you have, and hiding what you want. When I initially told you about using the INPUT button on the 103's remote (to choose HDMI-BACK if you were feeding the 103 using the rear external HDMI input... because I thought that's where your PVR was going) you informed us that your PVR was feeding your AVR. So obviously the INPUT button on the 103 was not relevant.

Now you say you DO want to feed your PVR through the 103 so as to get upscaling to 1080p by the 103. That's fine, but now you WILL need to disconnect the HDMI cable out of your PVR at the end which currently goes to an HDMI input on your AVR, and instead connect that end of the HDMI cable to the rear HDMI input on the 103. Now it will go through the 103 and get the video processing/upscaling of the 103... but naturally now you WILL need to use the INPUT button on the 103 to select HDMI-BACK when you do want to watch the PVR via the 103, vs. selecting BluRay from the INPUT when you want to watch a BluRay movie out of the 103.

And the 103 will do exactly with the PVR external HDMI input what is does with BluRay movies. So just as I previously described, video (from the PVR external HDMI input) will be processed by the 103 and sent out HDMI-1 and on directly to that second HDMI input of your 8350... identical to how you watch BluRay movies from 103 on the 8350. And audio from the PVR external HDMI input will be sent out HDMI-2 and on to the AVR, same as with BluRay movies. In other words when you use the INPUT button on the 103 to select either the rear or front external HDMI inputs, it's the same as what happens when you play a BluRay movie on the 103. Video goes through QDEO and out HDMI-1 and audio goes out HDMI-2.

Quote:
This is one reason I bought the Oppo, was to use the Qdeo to upscale TV from my PVR. I do not see this in what you are said.
If you'd originally said that was what you wanted to do, I would have described the setup earlier. But I think you have the correct instructions now.

Quote:
Researching some info, do I need to connect my PVR to the Oppo HDMI input at the back? I thought I could upconvert any video, but it seems in will do only one source? How do I get sound if I connect my PVR to the input at the back of the Oppo?
I think I've described everything completely above. Is it clear?

PVR HDMI output -> rear HDMI input on the 103. To view your PVR, use the 103's INPUT button to select HDMI-BACK. Then HDMI-1 output from the 103 to second HDMI input on your 8350, and HDMI-2 output from the 103 to HDMI input 4 on your AVR... just as I described in my earlier post. In other words there is no difference from the 103, no matter whether it is playing BluRay discs or whether you've selected external HDMI input (front or rear).

And you use the input selector on your 8350 to view HDMI source coming from either (a) AVR for your two remaining source devices still going to the HDMI inputs of the AVR, or (b) 103 for both BluRay movies or PVR external HDMI input, using the INPUT button for the 103 to pick its source.
post #7923 of 17944 Old 04-20-2013, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post

Curious if you tried any other DLNA servers, like Plex for example. Its also free.
I've been using it, and generally happy, but always looking to tweak something and squeeze out some added performance.
Hello,
OShare is the only share software that I have tried. With that said everthing is working great.
post #7924 of 17944 Old 04-20-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Does oShare transcode video on the fly?
lanping09 likes this.
post #7925 of 17944 Old 04-20-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Been trying to watch Hemlock Grove o Netflix, after stopping each episode, I just get a black screen and the Oppo says "Netflix". Takes a power cycle to fix, pretty stupid...

I experienced this a few times prior to the beta firmware, and it's only gotten worse with the beta installed. I reported it to Oppo and was given the standard "it's your network" reply. Their customer service is normally outstanding, but it seems like if it's anything to do with Netflix, they can't be bothered...in which case they really shouldn't put a dedicated button on the remote for it. You should report it directly to Oppo regardless; maybe if enough people say something, they'll take a look.

You might have to get used to the idea that the 103 is a great disc and media player and a mediocre-to-bad streaming device. I'm enjoying my 103 more since accepting that reality.
post #7926 of 17944 Old 04-20-2013, 08:58 AM

Liked: 10
I am utterly confused by DLNA. I have a Panasonic VT30 TV and a Denon 4310 AVR and I am able to play songs stored on my tablet (android actually two tablets and a phone)) using BubbleUp and when I first installed the OPPO 103 two weeks ago it would see the BubbleUp application on the Oppo although I could not see the Oppo on the BubbleUp app. This week I cannot get the BubbleUp app to be visible on the Oppo. I think the app may have been upgraded this week and that may be the problem. Is there an android app that will allow me to play music through the Oppo? I can use the ARC connection to access tablet using my TV. I would rather use the Oppo as it allowed me to choose my songs from the Oppo rather than the tablet. Any help would be appreciated.
post #7927 of 17944 Old 04-20-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post

I experienced this a few times prior to the beta firmware, and it's only gotten worse with the beta installed. I reported it to Oppo and was given the standard "it's your network" reply. Their customer service is normally outstanding, but it seems like if it's anything to do with Netflix, they can't be bothered...in which case they really shouldn't put a dedicated button on the remote for it. You should report it directly to Oppo regardless; maybe if enough people say something, they'll take a look.

You might have to get used to the idea that the 103 is a great disc and media player and a mediocre-to-bad streaming device. I'm enjoying my 103 more since accepting that reality.

I vegd out and watched all 13 episodes yesterday. I had to power cycle the player 4 times, which were lockups after finishing an episode. Then I had to stop and resume playback 6 times due to picture hangs but audio kept going. That's pretty deplorable, whomever is at fault.
lanping09 likes this.

65" VT50 / BDT460
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #7928 of 17944 Old 04-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 841
^ OPPO Engineering is aware of both types of Netflix app failure and is working on both of them. The failure is more likely to show up in the Public Beta firmware. The "It's your network" response is the best advice they can give you at the moment (while waiting for a real fix), as it appears the chance of the failure happening increases if the network is being a bit flaky. But that means at the Netflix side as well, which of course is not something you can control.
--Bob
gadgtfreek likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #7929 of 17944 Old 04-20-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ OPPO Engineering is aware of both types of Netflix app failure and is working on both of them. The failure is more likely to show up in the Public Beta firmware. The "It's your network" response is the best advice they can give you at the moment (while waiting for a real fix), as it appears the chance of the failure happening increases if the network is being a bit flaky. But that means at the Netflix side as well, which of course is not something you can control.
--Bob

Awesome, thanks. I don't expect them to have an immediate fix on hand when I contact them. A simple "we're working on it" would have been preferable, but it was 2 weeks ago, so maybe they hadn't experienced it themselves yet. Glad to hear it's been acknowledged and they're looking into it.
post #7930 of 17944 Old 04-20-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

--Bob

OPPO told me that they know of the Netflix problems and are working on them. For the time being, I watch Netflix through my TV. And wouldn't you know it, I am getting audio/video sync problems. So, it definitely is on Netflix to sort out there problems, too.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #7931 of 17944 Old 04-20-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

You'd figure as long as Netflix has been working on their app, it wouldnt be rocket science anymore.

65" VT50 / BDT460
post #7932 of 17944 Old 04-20-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:

You'd figure as long as Netflix has been working on their app, it wouldnt be rocket science anymore.
Keep in mind that you're talking about the same Netflix that trashed their own stock as a result of the way they introduced streaming. eek.gif

As someone who comes from the computer software world, I can imagine the multi-version mess that they are working with currently.
post #7933 of 17944 Old 04-20-2013, 02:35 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post

I posted about this way back in the thread and was given a verbal beat down. Not that I want others to have the same problems but I do enjoy the validation that comes with it. Oppo did replace my player and the new one does the same thing. I use the ROKU stick now. The interface is much nicer and the remote app is a winner too. You can search for movies and shows using a keyboard rather than the remote. Performance is in my experience the same with the wireless roku vs the wired player. Hopefully Oppo can figure this out.

Dedicated theater

JVC RS46U

Lumagen XE3D

115"d 16:9 DIY AT Seymour XD screen with DIY masking

Marantz SR7008

Oppo BDP103

Darbee Darblet

Klipsch RF7II mains

Klipsch RC64II center

PSA XS15 Sub

Roku3

Harmony 900

post #7934 of 17944 Old 04-20-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmanscott View Post

You can search for movies and shows using a keyboard rather than the remote.

I don't have the beta installed and I am using a keyboard to search on YouTube.
post #7935 of 17944 Old 04-20-2013, 04:37 PM

My new Roku Stick, after using for about the length of a movie, is hot, and flashing a green screen over the content. Anybody else ever see this?

Bob Sackett
post #7936 of 17944 Old 04-20-2013, 05:48 PM

FWIW, my experience with Netflix has been pretty good although I get the lips out of sync once in a while. The trash I watch is so bad that I never looked into it hard. I've noticed that my 103 freezes up more often than I'm used to with any previous player, not confined to Netflix. Today, for example, when my Roku stick got the hot flashes I mentioned in my last post, I pulled it out to give it a cooling cycle and the Oppo reverted to black screen. When I pushed Home, it went there but the screen was frozen and I needed to recycle the power. I suspect I'll be calling Oppo Monday and I'll mention this with my Roku questions.

Bob Sackett
post #7937 of 17944 Old 04-20-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnilam1 View Post

FWIW, my experience with Netflix has been pretty good although I get the lips out of sync once in a while. The trash I watch is so bad that I never looked into it hard. I've noticed that my 103 freezes up more often than I'm used to with any previous player, not confined to Netflix. Today, for example, when my Roku stick got the hot flashes I mentioned in my last post, I pulled it out to give it a cooling cycle and the Oppo reverted to black screen. When I pushed Home, it went there but the screen was frozen and I needed to recycle the power. I suspect I'll be calling Oppo Monday and I'll mention this with my Roku questions.

I'd say that its not prudent to try hot-plugging the Roku stick, especially when the player is using that input. Either use the player's input selector to switch back to the main Home screen, or power off the player before pulling the stick. Also good to note that in Quick-Start mode, even if you power off the player with the Stick being active, you may have issues generated by pulling the Stick. Switch the input selection first.
post #7938 of 17944 Old 04-20-2013, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali is mental View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmanscott View Post

You can search for movies and shows using a keyboard rather than the remote.

I don't have the beta installed and I am using a keyboard to search on YouTube.

What kind of keyboard do you need for search YT on the Oppo?

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #7939 of 17944 Old 04-21-2013, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

I got the Logitech K360 keyboard. Works great.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/keyboard-k360?wt.srch=1&ci=0&wt.mc_id=AMR_DR_Q4_FY13_SERP&crid=26

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #7940 of 17944 Old 04-21-2013, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

I got the Logitech K360 keyboard. Works great.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/keyboard-k360?wt.srch=1&ci=0&wt.mc_id=AMR_DR_Q4_FY13_SERP&crid=26

I have an old Logitech LX 710 wireless keybaord. Works like a charm.
post #7941 of 17944 Old 04-21-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Mine is Microsoft. I don't think it matters as long as it is USB. Just plug it into one of the USB ports on the Oppo.
post #7942 of 17944 Old 04-21-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

In the roku stick. Have any of you seen any performance improvments between the stick vs the OPPO Vudu app?

Trying to decide on the stick or not. Probably worthwhile just to get amazon, but I do use Vudu now and then.

65" VT50 / BDT460
post #7943 of 17944 Old 04-21-2013, 06:04 AM

The video will go through the AVR to the display and the AVR will extract the audio from it in the process.
post #7944 of 17944 Old 04-21-2013, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Just reading on the Roku 3, the RGB thing decreases my interest. Does the OPPO Vudu app output the 1080p/24 DD+ of the HDX streaming, in ycbcr 444?

65" VT50 / BDT460
post #7945 of 17944 Old 04-21-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

Just reading on the Roku 3, the RGB thing decreases my interest. Does the OPPO Vudu app output the 1080p/24 DD+ of the HDX streaming, in ycbcr 444?

The player outputs whatever you tell it to output.
post #7946 of 17944 Old 04-21-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. The reason I ask is the ps3 for example, is only allowed rgb out with its vudu app regardless of player setting. It treats it like a game.

65" VT50 / BDT460
post #7947 of 17944 Old 04-21-2013, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore View Post

I am utterly confused by DLNA. I have a Panasonic VT30 TV and a Denon 4310 AVR and I am able to play songs stored on my tablet (android actually two tablets and a phone)) using BubbleUp and when I first installed the OPPO 103 two weeks ago it would see the BubbleUp application on the Oppo although I could not see the Oppo on the BubbleUp app. This week I cannot get the BubbleUp app to be visible on the Oppo. I think the app may have been upgraded this week and that may be the problem. Is there an android app that will allow me to play music through the Oppo? I can use the ARC connection to access tablet using my TV. I would rather use the Oppo as it allowed me to choose my songs from the Oppo rather than the tablet. Any help would be appreciated.
On the last official release firmware, the Oppo did have some bugs concerning UPnP discovery. I don't know if they fixed anything in the Beta (there is no mention in the release notes). So I suggest you contact tech support.
post #7948 of 17944 Old 04-21-2013, 08:49 AM

Thanks AndrewFG. I istalled the latest beta and no change. I have not contacted tech support as I understood that there was no support for DLNA. I suspect that the updated BubbleUp app was changed in some way during the last revision. I have not been able to get any other DLNA apps to be visible to the Oppo and the Oppo is not visible on any of those apps. This is too bad as the Oppo supports formats that are not supported on my TV.
post #7949 of 17944 Old 04-21-2013, 09:55 AM

I apologize for what is probably a silly and oft-asked question, but can someone tell me the easiest and most cost-efficient method of securing a multi-region/region free BDP-103? It's worth mentioning that I'm not technical-minded, so I'm not all that comfortable opening up the machine and modding it myself unless it's forehead-smackingly easy and safe. I read that the 93 model could be modded simply by sticking a USB drive into one of the open ports, but all I seem to be able to find for the 103 are internal mods. Do the external mods not exist for this model? Would I be better off buying an already-modded machine and, if so, what would a reputable retailer be? (codefreedvd.com perhaps? They're selling it for a reasonable $585).

I'd really appreciate any suggestions.
post #7950 of 17944 Old 04-21-2013, 10:45 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by tygreg View Post

I apologize for what is probably a silly and oft-asked question, but can someone tell me the easiest and most cost-efficient method of securing a multi-region/region free BDP-103? It's worth mentioning that I'm not technical-minded, so I'm not all that comfortable opening up the machine and modding it myself unless it's forehead-smackingly easy and safe. I read that the 93 model could be modded simply by sticking a USB drive into one of the open ports, but all I seem to be able to find for the 103 are internal mods. Do the external mods not exist for this model? Would I be better off buying an already-modded machine and, if so, what would a reputable retailer be? (codefreedvd.com perhaps? They're selling it for a reasonable $585).

I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Here are the ones we know about: Region Free Modifications

I think at least one is external.

-Bill
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page