post #8461 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by red hazard View Post

Me2. Netflix locks up and the only way to clear it up is to turn the BDP-103 off and then back on and sometimes I have to go through that drill twice. OPPO's firmware folks remind me of the incompetent roofer that went on the roof to repair a broken tile and busted 3 more getting to it.

Oppo firmware is good deal more complicated than a roof. Considering that the 103/105 do more things and interact with more devices and delivery methods than any previous Oppo player, getting everything just right with the firmware is a complex task. Based on history, though, Oppo will get it right. It just make take a couple or so more firmware updates before that is achieved. Your feedback directly to Oppo can help that process along.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8462 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I may be wrong but I believe OPPO must release control of their machine to Netflix and when Netflix locks up and freezes due to their own reasons, there is no way for Netflix to give control back to OPPO and this may be by design.
Dave
post #8463 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehale View Post

I may be wrong but I believe OPPO must release control of their machine to Netflix and when Netflix locks up and freezes due to their own reasons, there is no way for Netflix to give control back to OPPO and this may be by design.
Dave

It is by design that Netflix has exclusive control of the player. But the Netflix app is doing MANY MANY things like frequent handshakes and DNS requests that the player's hardware has to handle. It's a ridiculously complex application that causes issues on many devices. The addition of 1080p and 5.1 audio made it considerably more complex, with even more handshakes and DNS changes.
lanping09 likes this.
post #8464 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Tech View Post

Good news from bluraychip.dk: They told me that they will release a firmware update for the Pro Mod kit later this week...
Where will the update be available? I just checked, and indeed my mod doesn't seem to work anymore. eek.gifmad.gif

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #8465 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

Where will the update be available? I just checked, and indeed my mod doesn't seem to work anymore. eek.gifmad.gif
Judging by the e-mail I've received from them, the beta version will be available on Wednesday, probably they'll send it by e-mail and you have to download it and put it on a USB. (Just Guessing).
post #8466 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 10:05 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 280

I though OPPO could read music ripped with iTune from MAC OSX but I it doesn't look like it :(

AIFC and AIFF-C Theoretically, the "C" in AIFC and AIFF-C stands for compressed versions of AIFF. However, starting with Mac OS X, music CDs that are ripped to AIFF in iTunes or copied to the Mac desktop are stored in the AIFF-C/sowt format, which is not compressed. The "sowt," which stands for "twos" in reverse, refers to the little endian byte order of the Intel architecture (see byte order). Older Mac applications may not recognize this AIFF format and require conversion.

Hopefully they will adress this,  as I have over 2TB of music ripped on my mac and wanted to put it on a hard drive so I could plug it in the Oppo!

lanping09 likes this.
post #8467 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 10:14 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Just send them a message that your Pro Mod stopped working and they will send you the files (attached to email) when they are available.
post #8468 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 10:15 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I wish I knew where my mod was from because mine still works. Then I could refer people to that mod instead.
post #8469 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 10:22 AM

I see all these posts about Netflix issues. Is there an advantage to accessing Netflix with the 103 or another Oppo unit? I mean I can get to Nexflix via my HDTV and/or my ATV......just curious.

Home Theater:
- Sharp 80-Inch 1080p 240Hz LED-Lit 3D
- Marantz NR1603 Slim Line AV Receiver
- KEF 7.2 Speaker System
- Oppo BDP-103
post #8470 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice12texas View Post

I see all these posts about Netflix issues. Is there an advantage to accessing Netflix with the 103 or another Oppo unit? I mean I can get to Nexflix via my HDTV and/or my ATV......just curious.
-Some devices have better quality (1080p vs 720p or DD+ vs DD, but this changes over time. Recently Netflix dropped their highest quality from all but certain ISPs/devices - see this: https://signup.netflix.com/superhd)
-Some devices get newer versions of the interface with better navigation. (such as being able to sort TV shows by season vs. a long list of all episodes)
post #8471 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I though OPPO could read music ripped with iTune from MAC OSX but I it doesn't look like it frown.gif

As mentioned in a previous post, if you install a UPnP/DLNA Digital Media Server application on your computer, it will be able to transcode on the fly your AIF tracks to LPCM. The latter is the format that Oppo (and indeed all other Digital Media Renderers) are obliged to, i.e. must, support...
post #8472 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:

If you have a Netflix membership or free trial you might wanna try it out on your different devices.. Personally, I like Netflix on Apple TV3, although I never renewed my free trial because that month it cost me a fortune streaming every single episodes of Breaking Bad.. Internet prices in Canada are ridiculous

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #8473 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Not really, I can access Netflix with my TiVo, my Roku 3, my Apple TV as well but I used to get my best results with the Oppo 103 on the Netflix "Example Short" where it would reach 5800 kbps almost immediately. Now I get an error on this movie when I try it on the Oppo.

lujan
658 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #8474 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Not really, I can access Netflix with my TiVo, my Roku 3, my Apple TV as well but I used to get my best results with the Oppo 103 on the Netflix "Example Short" where it would reach 5800 kbps almost immediately. Now I get an error on this movie when I try it on the Oppo.

That has nothing to do with the Oppo. That test clip is MIA at Netflx much of the time.
post #8475 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 11:19 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Me2. Netflix locks up and the only way to clear it up is to turn the BDP-103 off and then back on and sometimes I have to go through that drill twice. OPPO's firmware folks remind me of the incompetent roofer that went on the roof to repair a broken tile and busted 3 more getting to it.

Mine was doing the same thing. I unplugged the power cord for 30 secs and it has been fine since.
lanping09 likes this.

Cadillacjack
post #8476 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Has anyone noticed any improvement in Netflix reliability by setting a static IP address or manually assigning specific DNS servers?
post #8477 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginpo View Post

Been waiting for this official release due to lip sync issues and it has so far have been resolved! Using Disney WOW disc I ended up setting the Oppo to +90 to sync the audio with the video. I'm officially and completely satisfied with my 103 now! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post

Read about the new firmware, and this part interested me since I own the A1020, so I updated:

""Resolved the HDMI high bit-rate (HBR) audio loss issue with Yamaha RX-V673, V773, A820 and A1020 AV Receivers. Customers have reported that when sending DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD signals in "Bitstream" mode through HDMI to these Yamaha receivers, any signal interruption (resolution change, source selection, etc.) will cause Yamaha to display "Audio Decoder OFF" on the front panel and produce no sound from the speakers. This issue has been resolved."

Sadly, the audio still cuts out. Anyone with the Disney WOW disc can verify this. One of the first logos that comes up is DRS (Digital Reference Series.) Using Bitstream, the first 2 seconds of audio during this logo are silent. Stop the disc, switch to LPCM, play again, and it works normally. Oh well, back to LPCM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginpo View Post

Been waiting for this official release due to lip sync issues and it has so far have been resolved! Using Disney WOW disc I ended up setting the Oppo to +90 to sync the audio with the video. I'm officially and completely satisfied with my 103 now! ^_^

This question goes out to all that have installed the "new" firmware upgrade.

Is anyone having problems, after installing the upgrade, which indicate, that it would be better to not install this upgrade, at this time?

Thanks to all for your replies.
post #8478 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

That has nothing to do with the Oppo. That test clip is MIA at Netflx much of the time.

The quote you replied to mentioned, "it would reach 5800 kbps almost immediately". My question is, how can you find this bit-rate reading? When I press the "info" button on the remote, it indicates 720p or 1080p, it doesn't indicate kbps. Is there a way I could see both resolution and speed?
post #8479 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Quote:

The "error" is just that too many people have found out about this test stream, and the demand exceeds what Netflix's servers are willing to expend. So for many hours you can't access it or if you CAN access it you'll only get it at SD bit rates.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8480 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Cross View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The quote you replied to mentioned, "it would reach 5800 kbps almost immediately". My question is, how can you find this bit-rate reading? When I press the "info" button on the remote, it indicates 720p or 1080p, it doesn't indicate kbps. Is there a way I could see both resolution and speed?

The stream "Example Short 23.976", is one that will display -- as part of the stream itself -- what bit rate is being used. Updated in real time.
--bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8481 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

Has anyone noticed any improvement in Netflix reliability by setting a static IP address or manually assigning specific DNS servers?

I haven't had my Oppo 103 for long but it has always been a manual DNS servers so I can't tell you about a difference between the Automatic and Manual reliability...

lujan
658 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #8482 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Cross View Post

Netflix has a couple of movies called "Example Short ..." where it will display this information right on the movie screen but it's not always working and you may get errors trying to get to the movie. When it is working right, it's great 'cause you can see what your best kbps is.
lanping09 likes this.

lujan
658 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #8483 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillacjack View Post

Mine was doing the same thing. I unplugged the power cord for 30 secs and it has been fine since.

Tried it but it did not help. When I back out of a Netflix streaming movie using "return" the first screen comes up OK (asks if you want to resume, etc.) and then backing out of that, it goes to a black screen and none of the remote buttons are responsive. Only way to clear the frozen condition is to turn off the player and then back on again which is a slow process. I don't buy those excuses from the OPPO folks. After all, the design folks put a dedicated button on the remote control for the Netflix service and only one other streaming service. Now it's not suppose to work right because it's complicated?
post #8484 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 01:39 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:

Tried it but it did not help. When I back out of a Netflix streaming movie using "return" the first screen comes up OK (asks if you want to resume, etc.) and then backing out of that, it goes to a black screen and none of the remote buttons are responsive. Only way to clear the frozen condition is to turn off the player and then back on again which is a slow process. I don't buy those excuses from the OPPO folks. After all, the design folks put a dedicated button on the remote control for the Netflix service and only one other streaming service. Now it's not suppose to work right because it's complicated?

Netflix contractually requires the button on the remote. The Vudu button is to keep it in balance.

Work with OPPO support to resolve your problem. They can't diagnose it unless people give them data. Everyone sees a different internet.

-Bill
lanping09 likes this.
post #8485 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Netflix contractually requires the button on the remote. The Vudu button is to keep it in balance.

Work with OPPO support to resolve your problem. They can't diagnose it unless people give them data. Everyone sees a different internet.

-Bill

I don't buy the internet excuse either. My Roku 2(s) and LG smart TV work perfectly with Netflix and about everything else. They are on the same switch.

I doubt OPPO put the dedicated Netflix and Vudu buttons on the remote out of benevolence or balance. It's all about $$.
post #8486 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Tech View Post

Good news from bluraychip.dk: They told me that they will release a firmware update for the Pro Mod kit later this week...

Is this the same mod sold at JVB Digital, or are they separate?

I'm hoping to find out if the mod sold at JVB will work with the player's new firmare. Thanks.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #8487 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 02:02 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:

I doubt OPPO put the dedicated Netflix and Vudu buttons on the remote out of benevolence or balance. It's all about $$.

Well, yes. OPPO wants to sell players for $$$ and customers want Netflix, so putting Netflix in the player is about the $$$.

Netflix requires the button on the remote. No button, no Netflix. They are big enough to do that sort of thing.

Vudu for balance was my attempt at humor.

Again: dealing with OPPO support would be much more productive than griping here, which accomplishes nothing.

-Bill
lanping09 likes this.
post #8488 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:

I have given up on Oppo for now for Netflix. I use Apple TV for it and it works for me all the time.

Current equiptment OPPO 103 BD - Denon 1713 AVR - Samsung LED 7000 Series TV
post #8489 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Thanks PAV56 it works great even over SMB, Tested all of my files they all work great on the latest firmware.
lanping09 likes this.

post #8490 of 17812 Old 05-06-2013, 02:53 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

I don't buy the internet excuse either. My Roku 2(s) and LG smart TV work perfectly with Netflix and about everything else. They are on the same switch.
If you'd like assistance with your problems, your best bet is to contact Oppo as they're better equipped to assist with problems. If all you want to do is complain, there's not much we can do to help you here...
Quote:
They put the Netflix button on the remote because it was a contractual requirement in order for Netflix to give them the app for the player. As Bill said, the Vudu button was added because the space was there and it balanced the button configuration on the remote.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page