Forum Jump: 

post #8821 of 17944 Old 05-14-2013, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The update for the Pro modchips is out:
http://gattiweb.com/images/bluray/Oppo10xPROversionB.zip
The pro mod kits from Gattiweb (Australia) and bluraychip.dk (Denmark) are identical, so the update will work with both kits. I tested it on a BDP-103EU and it works...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8822 of 17944 Old 05-14-2013, 12:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Oh, hell. I wish we had thought to ask that at the outset. I just presumed you would update to current firmware first.

We do mention it from time to time here.

-Bill

That is usually the first response you guys have to most issues. Somehow it slipped through the cracks this time. At least this issue is put to bed now, it was a long one.

JJ

JJ
post #8823 of 17944 Old 05-14-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMONIE View Post

Quote:

Oh, hell. I wish we had thought to ask that at the outset. I just presumed you would update to current firmware first.

We do mention it from time to time here.

-Bill

That is usually the first response you guys have to most issues. Somehow it slipped through the cracks this time. At least this issue is put to bed now, it was a long one.

JJ
I'm on the West coast and slept in this morning so I read the whole thing as one chunk. It didn't occur to me either, and I've been exposed to the "what version of the firmware is installed" question for three generations of OPPO Blu-ray players. eek.gif
Blu_One likes this.
post #8824 of 17944 Old 05-14-2013, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votinh View Post

Hi All,

I have been using Wifi N to stream MKV and some low bit rate Bluray via SMB and it generally works fine with few stuttering. Yesterday, I decided to wire an ethernet cable, about 25 feet long from my bedroom down to the living room where the 103 is located, but for the life of me, I can't even get MKV files to stream without stutter let alone Bluray. With Wifi, I get no stutter even when the bit rate is over 30Mbps, but with ethernet, the video stutters when the bit rate is over 15Mbps.

I have tried wiring the ethernet cable crossover, straight-through T568A and T568B, but same thing. Except for T568B wiring, all the wiring methods can connects to my laptop at 1Gbps using the same cable. For some odd reason, T568B wiring would only connect to the laptop at 10Mbps and sometime 100Mbps using the same cable. I also tried using a different cable about 50 feet long and it's much much worse - Bluray basically play in slow motion at something like 1fps.

To rule out the router, I bypassed my Asus router and connected the cable directly to a Westel DSL modem/router, but same thing. I also used another DSL modem/router as a switch/hub to connect the long cable and then a short 4 feet cable from the 103 to the switch/hub, but again it made very little difference. Connected this way, it can kind of play the main menu with some stutter, but is still far slower than when using Wifi-N.

The only thing I haven't tried is reflashing the firmware. I have also tried resetting the player to factory settings, unplugged the power and set the IP address manually. I can't verify, but I think the player probably only connect at 10Mbps and not 100Mbps. Kind of disappointed that Oppo does not support 1Gbps ethernet as it would allow for much faster and smoother fast forwarding and when viewing pictures, even though max bitrate of Bluray is only half of what the Oppo support. Using January 2013 firmware.

Is my player defective?

Thanks.

You may have a combination of Gigabit and 100 megabit devices between your SMB Server and the OPPO. The OPPO is a 100 megabit device, but that shouldn't be the problem. If there is a Gigabit device, your SMB server in this case, connected to a device in the chain that does not support flow control there will be enough packet loss and retransmission to cause stuttering.

When you were connected to the OPPO via WIFI there was flow control on the wireless link.
lanping09 likes this.

Bob Holmes
Curmudgeon
post #8825 of 17944 Old 05-14-2013, 01:20 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Well, mad and confused, it seems to be an issue with the 4TB drive. You might get the specifications to OPPO support and see if they have any record of a compatibility issue with that model.

-Bill

I have 2 WD 4TB "My Book" drives and they both work flawlessly. As well as updating the firmware ensure that the drive is initialized as GPT and not MBR. Also I would partition the drive into 2 equal portions. I would also use "EaseUS Partition Master" to do all this. It is easy to use and is a great piece of software.
Blu_One likes this.
post #8826 of 17944 Old 05-14-2013, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

LPCM should not be low, although it is easy to get an effect like that if, for example you are testing with Dolby tracks and the AVR is not paying attention to the Dialog Normalization meta-data in the incoming Bitstream. (4dB is common for that.)
--Bob

You are correct and that is what is happening with my Yamaha Rx-a3020 receiver. Lpcm is 4 db lower than bitstream.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #8827 of 17944 Old 05-14-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali is mental View Post

I have 2 WD 4TB "My Book" drives and they both work flawlessly. As well as updating the firmware ensure that the drive is initialized as GPT and not MBR. Also I would partition the drive into 2 equal portions. I would also use "EaseUS Partition Master" to do all this. It is easy to use and is a great piece of software.

I'm not home yet frown.gif so I haven't done anything. But I'm confident that the FW update will rectify the issue of the 103 not recognizing the 4TB WD My Book drive.

Oppo said partitions up to 16TB are fine.. I wouldn't go that high, but you don't think that one 4TB partition is good and will work without issues? Is there a reason to partition the drive into two 2TB partitions? Somewhat confused.gif with this..

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #8828 of 17944 Old 05-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 841
^ A single, 4TB partition will work fine with the latest firmware. The restriction to 2TB or smaller partitions is a hold-over from the older firmware. The choice to have more than one partition on the drive is purely a convenience issue when organizing your stuff on the drive. If you are fine with having all the stuff in the same basket, then go ahead with the single, 4TB partition. You can still divvy your stuff up in different folders to make it easier to find things.
--Bob
Blu_One likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8829 of 17944 Old 05-14-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post

You may have a combination of Gigabit and 100 megabit devices between your SMB Server and the OPPO. The OPPO is a 100 megabit device, but that shouldn't be the problem. If there is a Gigabit device, your SMB server in this case, connected to a device in the chain that does not support flow control there will be enough packet loss and retransmission to cause stuttering.

When you were connected to the OPPO via WIFI there was flow control on the wireless link.

Thank you. That was exactly what causes stuttering. I was able to figure it out, too, by trial and error about 1 hr after your post.
post #8830 of 17944 Old 05-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Nice bit of network diagnosis there! A useful nugget for people to keep in mind.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #8831 of 17944 Old 05-14-2013, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recstar24 View Post

Ah that sounds like the claymation issue we experienced with the beta. The official beta testers found on 1080i when the audio went from DD 5.1 to 2.0 and back to 5.1, the image would stutter in a way similar to what you are describing. We've affectionately dubbed it "claymation". The workaround was setting your cable to output only lpcm 2.0, or be willing to change resolutions when it occurred.

However you are reporting the issue is now occurring on 720 p whereas before it only occurred on 1080i. Which means I am still not going to upgrade to the official firmware until its fixed.

Just to confirm the "claymation" occurred several more times this afternoon watching either ESPN or ESPN2 - following an update and reset to the new firmware yesterday.

I had the Oppo display the info on-screen as to what audio/video was passing through. Both recent events seem tied to the DD 2.0 audio switch. The first happened after an hour, the second was after 45 minutes. During this 45 minute time there were two commercials sending DD 2.0, it was during the second that the "claymation" began.

I haven't tried a 1080i input signal from my Cox HD receiver, probably won't until tomorrow. I'll send Oppo a report on this when I get a chance.
post #8832 of 17944 Old 05-14-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post

You are correct and that is what is happening with my Yamaha Rx-a3020 receiver. Lpcm is 4 db lower than bitstream.

That is completely normal with many AVRs. It has nothing to do with the player.
There are technical reasons why many processors handle LPCM input this way, none of which are relevant here. But it is why its always recommended to compare different type inputs only after level matching. (and why many folks swear that one type input "sounds better" than another). Very small differences in levels can and do alter perceptions dramatically.
post #8833 of 17944 Old 05-14-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

They must have gotten in a second batch. smile.gif

Looks like they didn't last long, again.
post #8834 of 17944 Old 05-14-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

I'm not home yet frown.gif so I haven't done anything. But I'm confident that the FW update will rectify the issue of the 103 not recognizing the 4TB WD My Book drive.

Oppo said partitions up to 16TB are fine.. I wouldn't go that high, but you don't think that one 4TB partition is good and will work without issues? Is there a reason to partition the drive into two 2TB partitions? Somewhat confused.gif with this..

It may help with indexing time and access time to partition it. One of mine is 4TB and the other is split into two 2 TB partitions. I wanted to split them because I have music in one partition and movies in the other. This makes it easier as the Oppo menu has Movies and Music separate.
Blu_One likes this.
post #8835 of 17944 Old 05-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

They must have gotten in a second batch. smile.gif

Looks like they didn't last long, again.

They are still there, just scroll down the page.
--Bob

post #8836 of 17944 Old 05-14-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

They are still there, just scroll down the page.
--Bob

Sorry, I looked too quickly. I can't wait to get mine and get it hooked up.
post #8837 of 17944 Old 05-14-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali is mental View Post

It may help with indexing time and access time to partition it. One of mine is 4TB and the other is split into two 2 TB partitions. I wanted to split them because I have music in one partition and movies in the other. This makes it easier as the Oppo menu has Movies and Music separate.

Oh ok gotcha now, makes a lot of sense.. I'm learning PC stuff slowly.. wink.gif Thx !

Quote:

^ A single, 4TB partition will work fine with the latest firmware. The restriction to 2TB or smaller partitions is a hold-over from the older firmware. The choice to have more than one partition on the drive is purely a convenience issue when organizing your stuff on the drive. If you are fine with having all the stuff in the same basket, then go ahead with the single, 4TB partition. You can still divvy your stuff up in different folders to make it easier to find things.
--Bob

Thx Bob, for now I'll keep it as a single 4TB partition and see how I like it like that.

K out watching the game now (Sens cool.gif VS. Pens), gonna get this FW update thing done later tonight, guaranteed. biggrin.gif, and close the book on this thing.

PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #8838 of 17944 Old 05-14-2013, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
has anyone been successful in updated the bluraychip.dk mod on the oppo 103?

I thought I did but the region method with X-X-Region is not working at all.
post #8839 of 17944 Old 05-14-2013, 07:18 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post

Just to confirm the "claymation" occurred several more times this afternoon watching either ESPN or ESPN2 - following an update and reset to the new firmware yesterday.

I had the Oppo display the info on-screen as to what audio/video was passing through. Both recent events seem tied to the DD 2.0 audio switch. The first happened after an hour, the second was after 45 minutes. During this 45 minute time there were two commercials sending DD 2.0, it was during the second that the "claymation" began.

I haven't tried a 1080i input signal from my Cox HD receiver, probably won't until tomorrow. I'll send Oppo a report on this when I get a chance.

Myself and others have already reported it to oppo from the beta so they are aware, but please send in the report so they have it. They also acknowledge in the official firmware they are aware of the issue but currently don't have a fix but plan in by the next firmware.

If you would like a current work around, you can set your cable box to output lpcm 2.0.
post #8840 of 17944 Old 05-14-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

FINAL REPORT - 4TB WD MY BOOK USB HARD DRIVE

Sure enough, did the FW update, 4TB was recognized right away upon reset/restart, and there's no problem playing back M2TS files with DTS-HD biggrin.gif

I have it setup as one 4TB partition.

Again, thx to everyone for your insight and assistance, greatly appreciated. And apologies for kinda hijacking the thread for a few hours today.. All good now. Very very happy with the 103 cool.gif

And, as expected, Oppo customer service lived up to its hype - got the proper email response at 9:05am Pacific Time, not bad at all, kudos.

post #8841 of 17944 Old 05-14-2013, 08:28 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman123 View Post

hello Bill,
Thanks for your reply. When I select e.g. "Photo" , it asks for a username and password. But I did not define that. From previous posts in this thread, I seem to remember that SMB asks for username and password, but oshare should not.
So it seems I do not see the oshare on the Oppo?

Last week, I reported that I could not connect to the oshare media server. I tried again and checked settings on my PC. Here is the status:

Media sharing on my PC is activated. This seems to have activated Windows Media Player. I also activated the oshare application. I can see both as network device listed on my PC, and both have the same icon symbol. So on my PC, that seems to mean that both Windows Media Player and Oshare are active as upnp/dnla server.
On my Oppo BDP-103 however, only the Windows Media Player is listed, but oshare is not. I can stream pictures and video with the Windows Media Player.

- Any reason oshare is active on my PC, but cannot be recognized by the Oppo? I have Windows 8 and the latest official Oppo firmware.
- If I just want to stream pictures and videos, are all upnp/dnla media servers more or less the same, or does the Oppo provide better features/functioning with some servers?
post #8842 of 17944 Old 05-14-2013, 09:52 PM

Liked: 56
oShare works on my Toshiba Satelite (win 7) - oppo103 (latest FW). I can use oShare also on my panny GT50 directly.

Panasonic TX-P42GT50E, Oppo 103, Schiit Vali, Denon AHD2000 + Moon Audio Blue Dragon V3, Phonak Audeo 121, Vsonic GR07, Fiio E17, Cowon S9, XLO cables :: CalMAN 5 Enthusiast,Chromapure Standard, i1D3, i1Display 2, TED's Calibration Blu Ray Disc v1.0 & v1.1
post #8843 of 17944 Old 05-14-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post

has anyone been successful in updated the bluraychip.dk mod on the oppo 103?

I thought I did but the region method with X-X-Region is not working at all.

Yes, I updated my BDP103 yesterday and it works. Did you power up the player, wait for the home screen and then press X-X-Region?
post #8844 of 17944 Old 05-14-2013, 11:21 PM

I regret installing the mod kit and I'm not going to use it or update it because probably the next update might harm the player and I don't want to take that chance.

So my question is should I remove it from the player or just leave it there?
If it's not going to affect the player performance then I'll leave it there but if it will then I'll remove it.

And if I decided to remove it,do I have to reset the player to it's factory setting's and install the new update again or not?
post #8845 of 17944 Old 05-15-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Tech View Post

Yes, I updated my BDP103 yesterday and it works. Did you power up the player, wait for the home screen and then press X-X-Region?

I've just updated the bluraychip Pro Mod kit in my 103EU player using the firmware from the Gattiweb site.

I had to try 3 different USB sticks before the player recognised the file, updated within seconds and shut down, as described in the instructions. The lights on the 2 previous sticks flashed as described, but no update took place and I was stuck at the Home menu.

I'm now able to switch Blu-Ray regions using X-X-(1 or 2) as described, and have tested this with a Region A locked Criterion disk followed by a Region B locked Masters of Cinema title.

Confusingly though, the Setup-0-7-7-0 combination now always shows Region B, even if switched to Region A, so it's not possible to see at a glance what Region is active.

One other thing: the X-X-(1, 2 or 3) sequence seems to work from both the Home menu and the Setup menu (i.e. you don't need to access the Setup menu first, as mentioned on the bluraychip website).

Hope this helps.
post #8846 of 17944 Old 05-15-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmsy View Post

I've just updated the bluraychip Pro Mod kit in my 103EU player using the firmware from the Gattiweb site.

I had to try 3 different USB sticks before the player recognised the file, updated within seconds and shut down, as described in the instructions. The lights on the 2 previous sticks flashed as described, but no update took place and I was stuck at the Home menu.

I'm now able to switch Blu-Ray regions using X-X-(1 or 2) as described, and have tested this with a Region A locked Criterion disk followed by a Region B locked Masters of Cinema title.

Confusingly though, the Setup-0-7-7-0 combination now always shows Region B, even if switched to Region A, so it's not possible to see at a glance what Region is active.

One other thing: the X-X-(1, 2 or 3) sequence seems to work from both the Home menu and the Setup menu (i.e. you don't need to access the Setup menu first, as mentioned on the bluraychip website).

Hope this helps.

I had a similar experience. I updated my bluraychip pro mod with the bluraychip update. The firmware updated without incident but at first glance it did not appear to work as when i checked the Setup 0-7-7-0 status the region was not changing. I hit OK to reset the display information to Region A and DVD Region 1 and re-installed the firmware and again saw that the 0770 info had not been updated after changing to region B (X-X-2). I assumed that the update did not work. I then put in a region B disc and a region 2 DVD and lo and behold it had changed to Region B and DVD region 0. When I tried to switch back to Region A I had some difficulty getting it to work. I found that not only did I need to have a disc out of the tray but it worked consistently when the disc tray was closed before running the region switch. I also made sure Auto Play was turned off as per the instructions.

I created a couple of sequences with my Harmony One to automate the Region A and Region B switching processes and it works very well.
post #8847 of 17944 Old 05-15-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddmania View Post

I regret installing the mod kit and I'm not going to use it or update it because probably the next update might harm the player and I don't want to take that chance.

So my question is should I remove it from the player or just leave it there?
If it's not going to affect the player performance then I'll leave it there but if it will then I'll remove it.

And if I decided to remove it,do I have to reset the player to it's factory setting's and install the new update again or not?

I do not believe there is any harm in leaving it in there, I believe it is only active when called upon and otherwise remains inactive. I removed mine once to see if it was causing a playback problem (which it wasn't) and I did not have to reset the player settings.

Why are you concerned that it will harm the player?

To me the ability to mod the Oppo was one of my key reasons to purchase this unit and I would never go back.
oddmania likes this.
post #8848 of 17944 Old 05-15-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Tech View Post

The instructions told me to press X-X-Region in the setup menu. Did you do this from the home screen or Setup screen?

I am going to try and re-install the firmware tonight, but it appeared to have installed as the player menu displayed Off then shut down. And I did unplug the power cable according to the instructions.

Thanks
post #8849 of 17944 Old 05-15-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmsy View Post

Hope this helps.

I will try doing the X-X-Region from the home screen. The instructions stated to do it on the Setup screen.
post #8850 of 17944 Old 05-15-2013, 09:07 AM

Liked: 12
Hey guys, has anyone had any success with creating persistent playlists? I can only add to the one default playlist and cannot figure out how to create additional ones per the implication in the new firmware that implies "Playlists" plural. Thanks for any insight!!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page