Forum Jump: 
 199Likes

post #61 of 18707 Old 10-03-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Received Oppo 103 today with FW 0821. I updated the FW, but it was still the 0821 in the setup menu. Apparently, the new FW came with multiple parts. I had to update all parts before the player updated itself.

This is a much improved player when compared to the 9X. I like the smoothest/performance of how it handles discs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 18707 Old 10-03-2012, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the following:

Epson 6010
Onkyo NR1007

I want to buy the 103, HDMI 1 direct from the oppo to the projector, HDMI 2 from the oppo to the onkyo for audio. From the onkyo connect it to the back of the oppo to use Oppo's video processing. I would use the Onkyo as a HDMI hub and let the Oppo do video processing, Is this possible?
post #63 of 18707 Old 10-03-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmundo Lopez View Post

I have the following:
Epson 6010
Onkyo NR1007
I want to buy the 103, HDMI 1 direct from the oppo to the projector, HDMI 2 from the oppo to the onkyo for audio. From the onkyo connect it to the back of the oppo to use Oppo's video processing. I would use the Onkyo as a HDMI hub and let the Oppo do video processing, Is this possible?

I can see a lot of handshaking potential problems but , in theory, it should work.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #64 of 18707 Old 10-03-2012, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Created a password, no dice. I tried a specific user account (with password), just for the 103 and the same result. No big deal, I was actually just curious why it doesn't work. I can do everything I want through DLNA and have nothing on my PC that deserves streaming.

Are you running the player in Quick Start or Energy Saver Mode? If the former, try the later and see if the same issue occurs. I have had issues in the past where the player in Quick Start Mode will no longer recall the username and password for the SMB share and will prompt me to re-enter them. When I re-enter the information, the login fails. If I then turn off Quick Start Mode and put the player into Energy Saver Mode, turn off the player, then turn it back on, the next attempt at getting into the SMB is successful and no login prompt appears.
post #65 of 18707 Old 10-03-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I am not running it in quick-start mode. I have never managed to access my W7 PC using SMB, not a single time. I have never had any issue accessing MYBook Live shares , SMB, using no userid or password (blank,blank).
Just a curiosity: I checked my WDTV-LIVE Plus parameters and it has something called "auto login" for SMB shares. Turning it to manual, it defaults to user id : Anonymous and blank password. With this device I never had problems accessing W7 shares. I tried to use "Anonymous" on the 103, no dice.

I also remember I had a lot of problems trying to use SMB on W7 when I had a ASUS O!Play media player. Unfortunately , I can't remember how I solved the problem . If you Google "problem using SMB on W7" you will find hundreds of links, some of them pretty old and many of them related to the same problem (user id/password). I tried most of the suggestions I found.
lanping09 likes this.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #66 of 18707 Old 10-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmundo Lopez View Post

I have the following:

Epson 6010
Onkyo NR1007

The OPPO can play a disc OR it can process an HDMI Input. It can't do BOTH at the same time. Similarly your Onkyo can listen to the audio coming in from the OPPO or coming in from another HDMI Source (with video also from that Source). Again it can't do both at the same time.

Keeping those two limitations in mind then yes it will work. Set the Display to always get its video from the OPPO. When playing a disc, set the Onkyo to listen to the audio coming from OPPO HDMI 2. The video output of the ONKYO (derived from that HDMI 2 input) goes back to an HDMI Input on the OPPO where it gets ignored because the OPPO is busy playing a disc.

To play some other Source, set the Onkyo to listen on that input. The Onkyo will get audio from that Source and pass video to the HDMI Input on the OPPO. Set the OPPO to listen to that input. Video on that input will be processed and sent to the Display via HDMI 1 output. Audio on that input will be sent back to the Onkyo on the HDMI 2 output, but that's ignored because the Onkyo is listening to the other Source instead.

The problem comes if you set the OPPO to process the HDMI Input and also set the Onkyo to process the Source represented by HDMI 2 output from the OPPO. That's a loop and the handshake will fail. I haven't actually tried it to see HOW it will fail (muted audio/video or endless retries), but it WILL fail.
--Bob
lanping09 likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #67 of 18707 Old 10-03-2012, 05:27 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymerritt View Post

The pop up menu is now the same command as menu not like the 83 and 93 which was the pop up.
confused.gif

The 103 still has "Top Menu" and "Pop-Up Menu" commands, both of which are potentially needed to access all features on a movie.
post #68 of 18707 Old 10-03-2012, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
can anyone comment on the quality of using the hdmi in to scale cable signals(i use 720p/preserve 480i to save space and was planning on getting a 103 in the spring)

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #69 of 18707 Old 10-03-2012, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone comment on how well the DLNA renderer capability works?
lanping09 likes this.
post #70 of 18707 Old 10-03-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:

I am not running it in quick-start mode. I have never managed to access my W7 PC using SMB, not a single time. I have never had any issue accessing MYBook Live shares , SMB, using no userid or password (blank,blank).
Just a curiosity: I checked my WDTV-LIVE Plus parameters and it has something called "auto login" for SMB shares. Turning it to manual, it defaults to user id : Anonymous and blank password. With this device I never had problems accessing W7 shares. I tried to use "Anonymous" on the 103, no dice.
I also remember I had a lot of problems trying to use SMB on W7 when I had a ASUS O!Play media player. Unfortunately , I can't remember how I solved the problem . If you Google "problem using SMB on W7" you will find hundreds of links, some of them pretty old and many of them related to the same problem (user id/password). I tried most of the suggestions I found.

If you have not, check the Win 7 event log to see if you have system error due to file share and if you have to increase stack size.
post #71 of 18707 Old 10-03-2012, 08:05 PM

Liked: 10
Does anyone have pictures or video of the new media playback interface? I'm really interested to see it.

Also congrats to all with the new players!
post #72 of 18707 Old 10-03-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Ensure that you are using a username that is password protected. SMB will not work on Windows 7 without password being associated to the user account
If share permissions are set to "everyone", a "guest" can log in with no password. User name "guest", password blank.
lanping09 likes this.
post #73 of 18707 Old 10-03-2012, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

If share permissions are set to "everyone", a "guest" can log in with no password. User name "guest", password blank.

Actually, guest / blank was my first try. Share is set to "everyone" already.
lanping09 likes this.

post #74 of 18707 Old 10-03-2012, 08:42 PM

Hi there guys while i'll have to wait for the 105 and probably christmas or beyond to get one here in Australia-imported of course as i need region A, i read in the anticipation thread early on about quick start on the new players.
How exactly is this enabled or disabled if i want .
And does this method have any draw backs, say to the longevity of the units, wear an tear i'm thinking about.

I know this was/is some where in the anticipation thread, an i've glanced through it a few times and can't find it.
Thanks in advance.
Mark.
post #75 of 18707 Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYBORGRAGMAN View Post

Hi there guys while i'll have to wait for the 105 and probably christmas or beyond to get one here in Australia-imported of course as i need region A, i read in the anticipation thread early on about quick start on the new players.
How exactly is this enabled or disabled if i want .
And does this method have any draw backs, say to the longevity of the units, wear an tear i'm thinking about.
I know this was/is some where in the anticipation thread, an i've glanced through it a few times and can't find it.
Thanks in advance.
Mark.

It can be selected under settings, default is off (no quick start). I worked with IT many years and always believed electronics last longer if they stay "warmed up". I call it the "bulb principle" , in most cases a light bulb dies when you turn it on . Using the quick start should help the player last longer, IMO. Obviously, energy cost will be higher.

post #76 of 18707 Old 10-03-2012, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

confused.gif
The 103 still has "Top Menu" and "Pop-Up Menu" commands, both of which are potentially needed to access all features on a movie.

I think that he is talking about the harmony remote selections.

As a side point, I think this is the best player from Oppo as of today. It seems like the best of the Sony 790 and of the Oppo in one master player 103 in my opinion.
post #77 of 18707 Old 10-03-2012, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am planning to get 103 that will be set in a chain with Radiance mini3D. Should I just disable any video processing at 103 side and let Radiance do it? Is it possible to set 103 to pass-through mode?
post #78 of 18707 Old 10-03-2012, 10:17 PM

Liked: 13
I haven't been able to get mine to mount my NAS with guest access either. I tried it with empty username/password, and guest/empty. I finally got it to work when I added a user account for it and logged in with that. Kind of annoying, but it works...
post #79 of 18707 Old 10-03-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:

It can be selected under settings, default is off (no quick start). I worked with IT many years and always believed electronics last longer if they stay "warmed up". I call it the "bulb principle" , in most cases a light bulb dies when you turn it on . Using the quick start should help the player last longer, IMO. Obviously, energy cost will be higher.

Awesome thanks for that.
post #80 of 18707 Old 10-03-2012, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I've been able to get SMB to work across computers, but never with the BDP-103 when there was no password on the guest account. I will need to try messing with SMB over the weekend when I have more time.
post #81 of 18707 Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripnickus View Post

This really depends on the program you are using. Windows, for example, has built in DLNA Rendering capabilities using Windows Media Player. If the file type is native to Windows, you can literally just right click on it and select "Play to" then select the BDP-103.
post #82 of 18707 Old 10-04-2012, 02:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Out came the Denon 2500BTci. In went the Oppo BDP-103. This is my first Oppo player and I'm really impressed with the user interface. Before I hooked everything up, I grabbed my Harmony 1100 and added the Oppo to the devices, ran the Activity wizard, and swapped the Denon for the Oppo. As stated in a few other posts, there is no " Option " key in the Logitech database, but adding the button isn't that hard at all. That can be done with the v 7.7.0 software in Activity / Customize Buttons. Once you do it there the new button is added to the button list in the device. It took me a couple of hours to decide where I wanted all the remote buttons to be located. I'll probably still have to tweak it if I find myself needing buttons on the same page.

Since I just did a device swap in an Activity I had no issues with the player interfacing with my Denon 5308ci(a) w/3D upgrade. I set up a static network and had immediate access to the other PCs on the network. All I had to do is log in. I didn't have any time to try any streaming. I popped in Avengers just to make sure BD-Video worked fine. Nothing different there since I just pass it to the receiver and to the display. I still have to try upscaling some old Divx discs I have and compare the Oppo to the Denon receiver. I'm betting the Silicon Optix SX T2 is better than the Marvell Qdeo.

A couple of weeks ago I downloaded a piece of software for the PC called Cirlinca HD-Audio Solo Ultra. MY blood boils EVERY TIME I put one of my Alexander Jero " Bootleg " 7.1 discs in my player, that I decided to give it a go and see if I could do a better job with a 2.0 FLAC file I had. I upmixed the file to 5.1 24bit/96KHz PCM and made a crude menu for the BD. The disc wouldn't work on my PC w/ BD drive nor would it work in the Denon 2500BTci. Instead of throwing it away, I held onto it. Put the BD in the Oppo and the menu actually came up. I selected a file and IT PLAYED. LOL Sounded 1000 times better than the crap Jero sold me too and that was my FIRST time using Cirlinca. I hit " info " and it displayed it as 5.1 24/96 LPCM. NONE of my Jero discs work in the Oppo. LOL No great loss as I just picked up the last two Thielemann/Weiner Philharmoniker Beethoven BDs to replace the crappy Jero ones.
lanping09 likes this.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #83 of 18707 Old 10-04-2012, 02:21 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by max90034 View Post

I am planning to get 103 that will be set in a chain with Radiance mini3D. Should I just disable any video processing at 103 side and let Radiance do it? Is it possible to set 103 to pass-through mode?

The 103 has a "Source Direct" setting which bypasses any video content processing except for what's necessary to decode the original content format and establish the video output data format you select (e.g., Color Space and Deep Color).

However, I'd put it to you that what you might really want to be looking for is a way to set your Radiance to "pass through" the output of the OPPO! I.e., let the OPPO do its thing and ask the Radiance to step out of the way.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #84 of 18707 Old 10-04-2012, 03:27 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripnickus View Post

Seems to work fine. For a lark I tried it using Twonky Mobile app on an iPhone (using iOS 6). The app had no trouble spotting the OPPO as a device it could play to, and unprotected content played with control via the Twonky app. I have to assume a "real" DLNA Media Controller package running on a computer would work even better.
--Bob

post #85 of 18707 Old 10-04-2012, 06:39 AM

Liked: 13
Hi All - I just received the 103 yesterday! Unboxing that baby was an absolute joy. Just wanted to reiterate the fact that the player does appear noticeably faster than the 93. Huge improvement in Netflix and YouTube, and USB interfaces. I dont think I'll resort to anything else (apple tv and ps3) for any of that from now on. Haven't gotten a chance to play around with anything else.

However, having one issue - before dropping a note to the oppo tech team, I wanted to post here. I popped in John Mayer's "Where the light is" Blu-ray, and it wouldn't play Dolby TrueHD! frown.gif The Stereo mode works, but when I switch to Dolby TrueHD, the video plays, but its mute. Tried Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Blu-ray which also has Dolby TrueHD, luckily that works. So I'm thinking something is wrong with the John Mayer Blu-ray. (Plays fine on PS3 by the way) Anyone come across anything like this?

PS - Neuro and Bob, thank you for your excellent contributions to these discussions surrounding Oppo, I have been an avid follower!
lanping09 likes this.
post #86 of 18707 Old 10-04-2012, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wow, three pages in and no pics yet?? wink.gif

Brad
post #87 of 18707 Old 10-04-2012, 08:21 AM

Liked: 12
I have a question for the members of the Beta Test Team regarding a difference between playing audio files from a NAS and from a USB hard drive plugged into the BDP-103.

All of my audio files have been ripped to the NAS using dBpoweramp. I have also copied all these files to an external USB hard drive. So the NAS and USB drives are duplicates of each other. The directory structure is that there is a main directory named "Flac Files", under this there are subdirectories for each genre (e.g. jazz, rock, pop etc.). Under the "genre" directories there are subdirectories for each artist, and, finally, under the artist directories there are subdirectories by album.

If I am playing music from the USB drive, the BDP-103 gives me an option called "Songs" which enables me to view all of the songs contained on the USB drive as a list. This disregards the directory structure. What this does is permit me to play all of the songs on the USB drive in alphabetical order or, by pressing the "Blue" button on the controller, in Shuffle mode or Random mode. This is desirable if I just want to play background music over an extended time period.

However, if I am playing audio files over the Network from the NAS, I do not have a "Songs" option and am restricted to playing the files solely within one Album, not across all audio files on the NAS. In fact, if I am playing a specific album from the NAS and press the Blue button, it won't shuffle or randomize songs even within the album, but rather takes me back to the top directory structure on the NAS.

Is this a limitation of Network playback on the BDP-103 or is there a way to enable playback across all audio files on the NAS while retaining my current directory structure?
lanping09 likes this.
post #88 of 18707 Old 10-04-2012, 08:38 AM

Just set up the 103. I have Directv. I never had any copyright issues before. However, only when I turn the 103 on certain Directv stations (HBO/Show Time), I get the following error message: "Your TV does not support this program's contention protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program." Something about this override stays into effect EVEN THOUGH I run component cables directly from by Directv DVR to the TV and attempt to look at that separate video input using the TV remote. The message only goes away if I turn off the BDP-103.

Has anybody else run into this problem and/or have a solution? Thanks.
post #89 of 18707 Old 10-04-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 87
This has nothing to do with the 103. All HBO, Showtime and many other premium cable/satellite channels and pay-per-view movies and other invents carry DRM flags that prevent playing or recording through anything but the device that the material is licensed for (such as the satellite set-top box). To the DRM flag in the HBO material, it appears you are trying to record or copy that material in HD since the flags assume that any HDMI out from the cable or satellite box is a copying attempt. Using component or composite cables might allow the material to be transmitted but at reduced resolution (480i).

post #90 of 18707 Old 10-04-2012, 09:08 AM

Well one of the reasons I got the 103 is because you can upscale a Directv feed from 720/1080i to 1080p for viewing by running the directv via hdmi directly to the 103 hdmi input and then out to the TV. (Cant do this with the 93 I have heard). I did not realize that you could not upscale an HBO show for example, even though it is not broadcast in 1080p to begin with and this does not involve an issue of copying anything. I am simply trying to take advantage of the 103's ability to upscale for viewing.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page