Forum Jump: 
 250Likes

post #9541 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 63
^ Are you guys at the same firmware? HDMI-2 (mediatek) output was tweaked in recent firmware.

The top pic (QDEO) looks correct, i.e. normal. The bottom pic (mediatek) looks like sharpness boosting.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9542 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 09:53 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by raist3001 View Post

My Oppo can see my PC share but not connect to it either. Asks for username and password and continues to tell me it's wrong. I believe I may have a bad unit.
What operating system? Windows 7 and prior should work fine, but may require some configuration on the PC. If the drive partition is formatted with NTFS, make sure you have both the Sharing AND Security permissions set so the desired user(s) have access. I don't believe anyone has gotten SMB shares from Windows 8 to work with the 103/105 yet and MacOS requires a 3rd party SMB installation to get SMB shares to work (I'm not a Mac guy, so I don't have the specifics).
post #9543 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

What color space? 444 out of HDMI 1 to my vt 50 passes those fine.

RGB as its most accurate for my display. Amended original post to say that. You can also see the changes between the 2 outputs using YCrCb color spaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

^ Are you guys at the same firmware? HDMI-2 (mediatek) output was tweaked in recent firmware.

The top pic (QDEO) looks correct, i.e. normal. The bottom pic (mediatek) looks like sharpness boosting.

I am using the latest beta installed last week or so. HDMI-2 was tweaked on the latest beta? What was done exactly as the release notes say nothing about it...

Here is what Stacey Spears says about some of the differences between HDMI-1 and 2:

HDMI 1 - Takes 4:2:2 out of the decoder. From here it goes into the Qdeo chip. If the player is set to output YCbCr 4:4:4 or RGB, bilinear is used to convert to 4:4:4.

HDMI 2 - Takes 4:4:4 out of decoder. If you then output 4:2:2 from the player, it is then converted back to 4:2:2. This path does not use the Qdeo chip. The decoder uses nearest neighbor to convert what is on the disc to 4:4:4, which results in YC delay and stair stepped chroma.

If you look at the first row of bursts and compare HDMI 1 to 2, you will notice 1 is smooth while you can see steps on 2 as the bursts cycle up and down. Take a look at the chroma alignment pattern. Notice that things should be centered correctly with HDMI 1 and they are offset with HDMI 2 because it is using nearest neighbor, a low quality scaling algorithm.

My HDMI 1 burst, that is dim on your HDMI 1, is not dim like that. It is as bright as the burst to its left. My HDMI 2 burst is brighter, like yours, but that is because of nearest neighbor. It is incorrect. Look at our color space article comparing bilinear to nearest neighbor. Nearest neighbor has the blue and red right next to each other with no spacing. On bilinear, you can see just a little black between red and blue, which is correct.

You should use HDMI 1.

Ironically our help text for chroma alignment looks incorrect on HDMI 1 and correct on HDMI 2. This is an issue that has been there since the 83. They must down sample the menus to 4:2:2 for compositing. From a video quality standpoint, its the better choice. This means no double conversion if you are outputting 4:2:2 from the player.

prsut and gadgtfreek like this.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #9544 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No Codec selection options in ver2 of the disk. Oppo is sending 1080p @ 23.976Hz on HDMI-1. D2v says its receiving 1080p/24 on its inputs(HDM1-2) and sending the same on its output to the TV. 30p video is much smoother (though still jittery when D2v output is sending 60p to the TV) and of-course 60p is the smoothest with no discernible motion artifacts...

Do you mean the 30p and 60p clips are smoother when played by the Oppo still at 24p (!) or with the Oppo switched to 60p?

- AVStefan
post #9545 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspears View Post

I tried it with a Panny DMP-BDT330 and VT20 with no luck. The xvYCC controls are disabled on the display. I will email Sony and see what player and display it is supposed to work with. My OPPO is rack mounted and the display does not support xvYCC. PS3 is rack mounted in the same room.

I only bring this up in the OPPO thread because of the talk around deep color. I thought it was relevant. Maybe it is intended to work with a special Sony player and one of their UHD displays. Once I hear back from Sony, I will post.

Big discussion on the Mi4K titles here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1470744/avs-cant-wait-special-mastered-in-4k-blu-ray-releases

According to David Susilo, our esteemed ISF member, you need one of Sony's new "tristimulus" sets and current model BDP to take FULL advantage of the extended data. He tried it with previous models and the picture got washed out.

Most of the titles do benefit from new scans (in the case of older catalog releases) and/or higher bitrate to some degree, with xvYCC out of the loop.

- AVStefan
post #9546 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgy View Post

After sending several emails to OPPO over the past several months regarding my netflix freezing issues I finally received confirmation yesterday that they are aware of an issue. Send them an email with your issue and maybe it will help expedite a firmware fix. Below is their latest response I received yesterday:

Your player is unfortunately not defective. Based on your observations and our own experience with the issues these problems are related to an authorization issue that Netflix performs every time that the player loads a menu, a stream, and opens/exits Netflix. We are working with Netflix to resolve these issues through a future firmware release, but at this time there are no known fixes for your reported problems.

Best Regards,

Customer Service

I've had these problems, too. The latest Beta works much better. It only appears to freeze between episodes where the official release would freeze several times during an episode. And sometimes the Beta actually works the whole evening. in the mean time I am mostly using an Xbox 360. It has a prettier Netflix menu system but an incredibly stupid control experience (OT, I know). The Oppo has a much more useful Netflix app (Except for the crashes).

Back in the Oppo/Netflix experience, why is the Netflix fast forward and rewind function so rough and primitive? I would think that with the buffering Netflix requires, the GUI could navigate back and forth more seamlessly. Is the buffer actually too small? Or does the video encoding format force a >30s quantizing of the FF/RW behavior?
post #9547 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Quote:

No Codec selection options in ver2 of the disk. Oppo is sending 1080p @ 23.976Hz on HDMI-1. D2v says its receiving 1080p/24 on its inputs(HDM1-2) and sending the same on its output to the TV. 30p video is much smoother (though still jittery when D2v output is sending 60p to the TV) and of-course 60p is the smoothest with no discernible motion artifacts...

Do you mean the 30p and 60p clips are smoother when played by the Oppo still at 24p (!) or with the Oppo switched to 60p?

Switched to 60p...24p test images running at 24hz are choppy.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #9548 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

OK that makes sense, as Bob said.

I need to run the test myself and compare with my Sony player.

- AVStefan
post #9549 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

^ But why are 24p BR movies ok but this test is bad?

post #9550 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Movies are filmed in a way to make a mere 24 frames per second work. For example, by blurring focus during higher speed motion.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #9551 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo70433 View Post

I've had these problems, too. The latest Beta works much better. It only appears to freeze between episodes where the official release would freeze several times during an episode. And sometimes the Beta actually works the whole evening. in the mean time I am mostly using an Xbox 360. It has a prettier Netflix menu system but an incredibly stupid control experience (OT, I know). The Oppo has a much more useful Netflix app (Except for the crashes).

Back in the Oppo/Netflix experience, why is the Netflix fast forward and rewind function so rough and primitive? I would think that with the buffering Netflix requires, the GUI could navigate back and forth more seamlessly. Is the buffer actually too small? Or does the video encoding format force a >30s quantizing of the FF/RW behavior?

Interestingly enough, I have not had any of these problems with Netflix either before or after the recent regular and beta releases. I should add that I am based in Sweden where Netflix was only recently introduced and so far has a limited customer base. Could the problem for US users partially be explained by overload on Netflix´s servers dedicated for the US market? - I agree with the characterization of the fast forward/rewind function - it is indeed difficult to get to the spot you want.
post #9552 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgreg View Post

I used Netflix several times on the firmware that it came with (1220) and no freezing occurred. I upgraded to 0422 and I started getting the freezing between episodes. Quite annoying.

After sending several emails to OPPO over the past several months regarding my netflix freezing issues I finally received confirmation yesterday that they are aware of an issue.
Keep in mind that OPPO can't fix anything relating to Netflix without cooperation from Netflix. In the past there hasn't been a lot of that cooperation that I'm aware of.
post #9553 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspears View Post

Has anyone taken a look at the new Amazing Spiderman mastered in 4k? It claims to have been encoded using xvYCC for a larger color gamut. I am curious if it actually works. This is the only Blu-ray that I am aware of that offers this capability.

Stacey, Sony's "Mastered in 4k" discs are not encoded with xvYCC. They're encoded with proprietary metadata that only works when played on specific new-model Sony Blu-ray players connected to specific Sony 4k HDTVs. If you activate xvYCC on any other Blu-ray player or HD display, the colors will appear washed out.

The labeling on Sony's discs is misleading.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #9554 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 02:03 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Stacey, Sony's "Mastered in 4k" discs are not encoded with xvYCC. They're encoded with proprietary metadata that only works when played on specific new-model Sony Blu-ray players connected to specific Sony 4k HDTVs. If you activate xvYCC on any other Blu-ray player or HD display, the colors will appear washed out.

The labeling on Sony's discs is misleading.

The xvYCC does work, the color is amazing, the labeling on Sony's dics are not misleading. The colors are not washed out. Accusing a company of fraud can lead to legal action by the company without proof.
post #9555 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDPERSON View Post

The xvYCC does work, the color is amazing, the labeling on Sony's dics are not misleading. The colors are not washed out. Accusing a company of fraud can lead to legal action by the company without proof.

I am not accusing the company of fraud. I am accusing the marketing person who wrote the blurb on the packaging of doing a lousy job explaining the feature.

You are the first person I've seen anywhere who has claimed that the xvYCC setting works correctly when these discs are played on a non-Sony Blu-ray player.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #9556 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

Bob:

Maybe this is related to jgasters issue or not but when i'm running the 24p tests on S&M ver.2 (Stock Ticker,  xXx Parade and Sarah on a Hammond), motion is jagged and not smooth. 1080p/24p all the way from Oppo -> Anthem -> TV.  Maybe the material was too fast for 24p motion but I can't see how since normal fast action BR movies at 24p don't have these motion effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Double check the Codec in use, what's being read off the disc according to the OPPO, what the OPPO says it is sending to the Anthem, what the Anthem says it is receiving, and the output to the display.

I don't have that disc yet, but OPPO does, and an AVM 50v, so they can check what looks wrong to you.
--Bob

The Stock Ticker, and xXx Parade videos have no motion blur on the independent frames. You will see this if you either slow motion, or still frame these videos. This definitely contributes to a choppy appearance in these videos at the lower frame rates. The fastest row on the stock ticker appears to me to have almost a double image at normal playback speed and 24fps, and I believe this is attributable to the lack of motion blur. I have not checked the hammock videos to see if the individual frames show any motion blur.

Film sourced 24p will have some motion blur on individual frames as an object moves during the time the shutter is open on the camera. If you have Star Trek (2009) the clip where Kirk rides his motorcycle across the top of the frame from left to right, just before he sees the Enterprise under construction is a good example of this. It looked just as terrible on the movie screen as it does on the home video screen, a blur chopping across the top of the screen. Without the adjacent establishing shots, you wouldn't even know what it was.
post #9557 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

You are the first person I've seen anywhere who has claimed that the xvYCC setting works correctly when these discs are played on a non-Sony Blu-ray player.

Are there currently any non-Sony Blu-ray players that are xvYCC-compatible? I haven't done much research on this, but so far the only specific references I've seen for xvYCC capability are on Sony products. I'm looking forward to reading what sspears finds out from Sony. I suspect the PS3 is xvYCC capable, at least with the latest firmware.

Don't forget that xvYCC and "Deep Color" are two completely different animals, that are sometimes confused with each other.
post #9558 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

What operating system? Windows 7 and prior should work fine, but may require some configuration on the PC. If the drive partition is formatted with NTFS, make sure you have both the Sharing AND Security permissions set so the desired user(s) have access. I don't believe anyone has gotten SMB shares from Windows 8 to work with the 103/105 yet and MacOS requires a 3rd party SMB installation to get SMB shares to work (I'm not a Mac guy, so I don't have the specifics).

I can confirm this somehow. I use a Windows 2012 Server Essentials and can access it somehow from the Oppo via SMB. It asks me after I change directory levels again and again for my login information and even I checked save the information, the Oppo forgets it after the 4th time but I can see the directory structure and could live with that. However, it is bumpy and not working as it should. But it seems Oppo is close.

I use DLNA and this works flawless and the Oppo is doing an excellent job to play m2ts files via it's WiFi link with 300 Mbit/s. I really enjoy this player a lot.
post #9559 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post

I can confirm this somehow. I use a Windows 2012 Server Essentials and can access it somehow from the Oppo via SMB. It asks me after I change directory levels again and again for my login information and even I checked save the information, the Oppo forgets it after the 4th time but I can see the directory structure and could live with that. However, it is bumpy and not working as it should. But it seems Oppo is close.

I use DLNA and this works flawless and the Oppo is doing an excellent job to play m2ts files via it's WiFi link with 300 Mbit/s. I really enjoy this player a lot.

Your issues with SMB are most likely due to NTFS security permissions or file sharing permissions on the server side, not the player side. IOW, its not the player asking for credentials, its the server. I sometimes find that weirdness can be eliminated by taking away NTFS permissions on the whole drive, then re-enabling it. Same for file sharing permissions, sometimes it needs to be re-done. Enabling permissions on the whole drive, not just individual folders, also helps. This is Windows we're talking about, weird things happen.
post #9560 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post

I use Windows 7 and have the same issue with the Oppo not remembering the credentials and asks for them over and over AFTER I power on the player. It remembers them while it's on, but I have to re-enter them after I turn it off and back on.

Oppo has confirmed this issue via a support response when I submitted this issue. I had also asked them, for a new feature, to remember credentials per server so the player can keep track of credentials for each server so we don't have to re-enter them for every server. BTW, if the computers providing SMB access are on a domain, then you can use the domain\username for all those servers and that will work fine in the current set up. But in my case, they're individual systems within a work group.

I use DLNA to get around that headache for now. Hopefully they'll have a fix for this sooner rather than later.

post #9561 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 05:18 PM

Liked: 11
Ok I got my Oppo to see my plex servers. Problem now is that the Oppo stutters badly when playing my MKV files. Both my Roku 3 and my Samsung un60es8000 can play these files without a hitch.

Any one know why the Oppo 103 is having issues?
post #9562 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 05:18 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Keep in mind that OPPO can't fix anything relating to Netflix without cooperation from Netflix. In the past there hasn't been a lot of that cooperation that I'm aware of.

I've wondered how that works. The three Netflix app examples I know, Oppo, Xbox and iPad are each different, though some elements are similar. Does Netflix alone write these apps? Or does Oppo have some effect on how they operate? I would think that if Netflix did all of the work, they would be more similar. For instance, I like how the Oppo's interface allows me to go backward from the first item in the queue to the last. But the Xbox will only go forward. from #1 (both go back 'n' forth in the middle of a queue.) Similarly, the iPad has a 10 second jump back button which could help with missed dialog, a feature I'd like to see on the Oppo.

Just wondering if anyone can comment on how this works between Netflix and Oppo.
post #9563 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi:

I have found significant color differences between HDMI-1 and HDMI-2 running the "Color Multiburst" test on the new S&M test disk. The differences are in the horizontal frequency response. Seems like HDMI-1 (QDEO processed) is rolled off and HDMI-2 is not. Can anyone verify this for me as well (KC-Technerd, you listening?smile.gif). I am using RGB color space as its the most accurate for my display but the changes are seen on YCrCB color space as well.

Look at the change in hue/pattern from the color burst in the 2nd row to the right of the picture(2PPC, 540 TVL).

HDMI-1.jpg 1,049k .jpg file HDMI-2.jpg 1,031k .jpg file

HDMI-1 with QDEO processor...

HDMI-2 with Mediatek processor.

David,

We can confirm the difference between the two HDMI outputs when viewing the 2PPC image, but this is due to the different in the way the decoder and the Marvell solution handle converting YCbCr 4:2:2 to YCbCr 4:4:4. The Marvell QDEO uses interpolation while MediaTek uses replication for upsampling the vertical color frequency. Both methods are proper, with interpolation being the preferred method as it properly decimates, rather than drop and replicate, the pixels.

This conversion also only applies to external signals, as DVDs and Blu-ray are YCbCr 4:2:0.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
lanping09 likes this.

post #9564 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 369
I have seen a couple of instances where A/V sync has gotten off running Dish thru the 103, but, it seems to quickly correct. I might notice it for a second in a conversation, but then its corrected. I mean its obviously off, like Kung Fu movie off, but then its spot on.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #9565 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 06:49 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by raist3001 View Post

Ok I got my Oppo to see my plex servers. Problem now is that the Oppo stutters badly when playing my MKV files. Both my Roku 3 and my Samsung un60es8000 can play these files without a hitch.

Any one know why the Oppo 103 is having issues?

I run Plex from my Mac to my 103 to my Samsung 46 through a wireless Roku stick and I can play all file types with no issue, including MKV files. Have you tried playing with Plex settings?
post #9566 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 117olddude View Post

I run Plex from my Mac to my 103 to my Samsung 46 through a wireless Roku stick and I can play all file types with no issue, including MKV files. Have you tried playing with Plex settings?

Problem with roku is that it will not pass HD audio. The103 can and will play my MKV files with DTS HD audio. Once I access my plex server from the 103, I can change a few settings on plex. Transcoding is turned off and direct play is enabled. The 103 plays all my MP4 files without any issues. Just the MKV files stutter badly.

It must be something with the 103 as my samsung TV plays the MKV files wirelessly without any stutter. My 103 is wired so in know its not a bandwidth issue.
post #9567 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 08:12 PM

Liked: 15
I'm not trying to run HD audio through Plex. Maybe that's why mine plays fine, no stutter. It will play 5.1 (non-HD) no problem, at 720p. Wirelessly. If I want BD with full quality, I play a BD disc.
post #9568 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 08:16 PM

Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping someone could tell me if the Oppo 103 will output a 5.1 dolby digital signal through the optical output when using the HDMI input on the player as a switch?

The exact proposed setup is a new 47" Panasonic TV (that only outputs 2.0 from its optical output) with a Sonos Playbar mounted underneath. I am planning on connecting a media player (probably a Pivos running xbmc, or perhaps an Apple TV) into the HDMI input of the oppo but I need to know if the output to the Playbar will be 5.1 (or will even work)?

Any help or advise would be hugely appreciated.

Dan
post #9569 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
With the Netflix freezing issues aside (I'm sure they'll be fixed by Oppo)....is the Netflix experience with a Roku 3 better than on the 103? Is there any benefit with using the Roku Streaming Stick over the Roku 3?

post #9570 of 19206 Old 06-04-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 117olddude View Post

I'm not trying to run HD audio through Plex. Maybe that's why mine plays fine, no stutter. It will play 5.1 (non-HD) no problem, at 720p. Wirelessly. If I want BD with full quality, I play a BD disc.

Plex will pass HD audio to an AVR capable of decoding HD Audio. Roku3 can not pass the HD Audio to my receiver and as such down samples it to Dolby D.

The 103 will pass the HD Audio to my AVR and be decoded correctly, but unfortunately the film will stutter. I've googled this issue and have found others with the same issues but no resolutions.

Like I said this cant be a plex issue as the same MKV files play just fine on my samsung TV and roku3.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page