post #9631 of 18003 Old 06-06-2013, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBR View Post

is that people said hat is not good to pass video thru the avr that is why i taking the other route.i works fine with my sony and my samsung both of them with dual hdmi so your theory of two hdmi terminating at the same tv is not very accurate
1) The Oppo is also a very different unit compared to the Sony and Samsung with a secondary video processor (Qdeo) in the mix on HDMI 1.

2) It's only bad to pass video through the AVR if the AVR does something bad to it. This was a potential issue back when video was analog or if the AVR had a poor digital video processor that degraded the digital signal. The RX-A810 (via HDMI) is neither and simply passes the digital signal to the TV. Try it at least. I don't think you'll see a difference in video quality in your specific situation.
PRBR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9632 of 18003 Old 06-06-2013, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys, I am SURE I am hallucinating, but it appears to my eyes that HDMI 1 "Softening/NR" issue is improved on the new Beta. Anyone else see this or is it just placebo/Wishful thinking? I can see a scenario where this could have been improved without making a big to do in the Release notes since the implication previously was that the chip was working as expected. Thoughts? Anyone else on the new Beta version notice this?
post #9633 of 18003 Old 06-06-2013, 09:25 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

1) The Oppo is also a very different unit compared to the Sony and Samsung with a secondary video processor (Qdeo) in the mix on HDMI 1.

2) It's only bad to pass video through the AVR if the AVR does something bad to it. This was a potential issue back when video was analog or if the AVR had a poor digital video processor that degraded the digital signal. The RX-A810 (via HDMI) is neither and simply passes the digital signal to the TV. Try it at least. I don't think you'll see a difference in video quality in your specific situation.
i can try it that way or just turn off the oppo,turn on the video output on the avr,set up what ever i want to set and the turn it off again.that is the way im doing it right now but is not the way is suppose to be!! thanks for the input
post #9634 of 18003 Old 06-06-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Think of it this way: Do DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD work to your speakers? The signal going to your speakers is also Analog. The answer, of course, is yes.

Playing a high bit-rate Bitstream digital audio format like DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD involves two steps. First the Bitstream gets "decoded" into high bit-rate, multi-channel LPCM. LPCM is also digital audio -- think of it as the "simplest" form of digital audio. Next the LPCM has to be "converted" to ANALOG audio -- by DACs (Digital to Analog Converters) -- at which point it is no longer digital audio. It is Analog voltage levels that can be amplified and rendered by your speakers.

The OPPO can send the original Bitstream out over HDMI -- after which all that processing has to be done in your AVR.

Or the OPPO can decode the original Bitstream into the equivalent set of LPCM streams and send THAT out over HDMI -- after which you AVR only has to do the conversion to Analog.

Or the OPPO can decode the original Bitstream into the equivalent set of LPCM streams and then convert those to Analog for output on its Analog audio jacks -- after which your AVR only needs act like a pre-amp, as all the heavy lifting (processing of the audio while still in digital format) has already been done in the OPPO.

(The Optical/Coax digital audio outputs are handled differently since they can not carry either the high bit-rate "lossless" Bitstreams, nor carry multi-channel LPCM. If you try to play DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD over those, you will get a "compatibility" audio track instead.)

So for DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD to "work" via the Analog outputs, two things need to be true: First the OPPO needs to be able to decode those Bitstreams into the equivalent LPCM digital audio streams. And Second the OPPO needs to be able to convert high bit-rate, multi-channel LPCM digital audio to multi-channel Analog audio for output in a high quality fashion. The 103 and 105 do both of those -- with the 105 doing an even better job of the second part -- the conversion to Analog.
--Bob

if i set my oppo to do the decoding with his digital to analog converter,there is a difference using the analog audio vs the HDMI? some guy at a store tell me you can hear a difference is you let the oppo do the decoding and send it thru the analogs outputs to the avr...is that true?
post #9635 of 18003 Old 06-06-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBR View Post

if i set my oppo to do the decoding with his digital to analog converter,there is a difference using the analog audio vs the HDMI? some guy at a store tell me you can hear a difference is you let the oppo do the decoding and send it thru the analogs outputs to the avr...is that true?

Potentially - it depends on the quality of the digital to analog conversion at the Oppo vs. the AVR.

If the Oppo has better DA converters, there may be a difference if you sent it through HDMI to the AVR if the AVR has inferior DACs.

If the AVR has better DA converters, then the HDMI path may be better, since you are using the AVR's DACs.

That is, of course all other things being equal. The wild card in this is the room correction that the AVR is probably putting on the incoming signal, compensating for the room's inadequacies. If this performs better than you setting the proper values on the Oppo, then the HDMI path is better. If you do a good job of setting the values in the Oppo, that may sound better.

In the end, it depends on your taste. I found both approaches to give good results, the Oppo -> analog took a bit more work. I now have an HDMI path only for convenience, and because I like my Pioneer's room correction being applied.
lanping09 likes this.
post #9636 of 18003 Old 06-06-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Potentially - it depends on the quality of the digital to analog conversion at the Oppo vs. the AVR.

If the Oppo has better DA converters, there may be a difference if you sent it through HDMI to the AVR if the AVR has inferior DACs.

If the AVR has better DA converters, then the HDMI path may be better, since you are using the AVR's DACs.

That is, of course all other things being equal. The wild card in this is the room correction that the AVR is probably putting on the incoming signal, compensating for the room's inadequacies. If this performs better than you setting the proper values on the Oppo, then the HDMI path is better. If you do a good job of setting the values in the Oppo, that may sound better.

In the end, it depends on your taste. I found both approaches to give good results, the Oppo -> analog took a bit more work. I now have an HDMI path only for convenience, and because I like my Pioneer's room correction being applied.

thanks good to know!! my avr does not have a 7.1 analog input but i can get one with it if it will sound better that way but based on your advise i leave it like that using the hdmi! thanks
post #9637 of 18003 Old 06-06-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Don't forget you would also need to get 4 pairs of interconnect cables. Who wants that mess? It is the reason everyone went HDMI years ago.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #9638 of 18003 Old 06-06-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Don't forget you would also need to get 4 pairs of interconnect cables. Who wants that mess? It is the reason everyone went HDMI years ago.

Well,,, that's not the real reason. Prior to HDMI everyone typically used a single digital cable or fiber optic toslink for sound and either composite, component or S-Video for video.. HDMI handled the increasing bandwidth issues associated with better resolutions on both audio and video. Not to mention the ever increasing copy protection capabilities... My OPPOs were the first to have me try multi channel analog.

Overall however, with exception to the physical connection and inherent handshake issues I'll take the single HDMI run over two digital cables any day. biggrin.gif

Love DIY
post #9639 of 18003 Old 06-06-2013, 12:51 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthkringle View Post

Hey guys, I am SURE I am hallucinating, but it appears to my eyes that HDMI 1 "Softening/NR" issue is improved on the new Beta. Anyone else see this or is it just placebo/Wishful thinking? I can see a scenario where this could have been improved without making a big to do in the Release notes since the implication previously was that the chip was working as expected. Thoughts? Anyone else on the new Beta version notice this?

I used to have sharpness set to +1, but now I leave it at 0, so there could be something in what you say - or it´s just a figment of the imagination.
post #9640 of 18003 Old 06-06-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I tried sharpness +1 after the beta, was my first time, and I did not care for it after a couple of days. I have a darbee 5000 waiting at home now, kinda curious to try it for a longer period.
lanping09 likes this.

65" VT50 / BDT460
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #9641 of 18003 Old 06-06-2013, 12:58 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

I tried sharpness +1 after the beta, was my first time, and I did not care for it after a couple of days. I have a darbee 5000 waiting at home now, kinda curious to try it for a longer period.

I have a Darbee as well typically at around HD45-47. Since installing the Beta I felt the need to dial down the Darbee a bit closer to 40 and with the Darbee "off" I felt like the pure picture from HDMI 1 was indeed a bit less soft than before. Again, I could be imagining it, but I don't think I am.
post #9642 of 18003 Old 06-06-2013, 01:40 PM

For the first time, I have spent some time comparing the output of HDMI1 and 2 with the same content and all picture adjustment settings at 0. I definitely prefer HDMI1 in terms of definition.
lanping09 likes this.
post #9643 of 18003 Old 06-06-2013, 04:18 PM

Liked: 10
Sorry if this has been mentioned/asked in this thread already, but does the OPPO 103 stream Netflix 3D?

I think my ISP supports it, but haven't noticed any indication on the OPPO Netflix app.

If it does, what movie would demonstrate this on my 3D Optoma from Netflix? And does it require a certain OPPO firmware version?
post #9644 of 18003 Old 06-06-2013, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling View Post

Sorry if this has been mentioned/asked in this thread already, but does the OPPO 103 stream Netflix 3D?

I think my ISP supports it, but haven't noticed any indication on the OPPO Netflix app.

If it does, what movie would demonstrate this on my 3D Optoma from Netflix? And does it require a certain OPPO firmware version?

Looks like there is a specific list of devices from Netflix that support 3D.

post #9645 of 18003 Old 06-06-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

And a specific list of providers (HSI). I have devices that will do SuperHD and 3D, but my ATT DSL is not supported.

65" VT50 / BDT460
post #9646 of 18003 Old 06-06-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Is there anyone here using the Roku stick who wouldn't mind testing 24fps content on Netflix? I reported an issue to Oppo a while back, but they said no one else has reported the problem. It's still on their list for the engineers to review.

If I watch Netflix content encoded at 24fps using the Roku stick, I see dropped frames and stuttering about once per minute. The audio is unaffected. I've tried 1080p24 AUTO, ON, and OFF on the Oppo, and they all demonstrate the problem. It looks like the video processor has some trouble maintaining a framerate lock on incoming 24fps material.

When using the native Netflix app, I don't see any dropped frames, but I think that's because the native app outputs everything at 1080p60 regardless of the original encoding.

If someone could give it a try and report their findings, I'd really appreciate it. Confirmed 24fps material includes Arrested Development (Season 4, anyway), Hemlock Grove, and The Tudors.
post #9647 of 18003 Old 06-06-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:

And a specific list of providers (HSI). I have devices that will do SuperHD and 3D, but my ATT DSL is not supported.

I can do SuperHD with the OPPO and my provider sits on the OpenConnect or whatever it is for Netflix.

But I don't see any 3D from Netflix or Vudu on the OPPO.

Is anyone doing this on the OPPO or is the OPPO just not supported?

I was pretty sure someone mentioned that it was, but maybe I was deluded.

I doubt the OPPO is going to show up on the 'list' of compatible devices on Netflix, that probably gets updated once a year, lol!
post #9648 of 18003 Old 06-06-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought as long as you could do SuperHD and were on OpenConnect, it meant you had 3D too. Maybe Im wrong there.

65" VT50 / BDT460
post #9649 of 18003 Old 06-06-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling View Post

I can do SuperHD with the OPPO and my provider sits on the OpenConnect or whatever it is for Netflix.

But I don't see any 3D from Netflix or Vudu on the OPPO.

Is anyone doing this on the OPPO or is the OPPO just not supported?

I was pretty sure someone mentioned that it was, but maybe I was deluded.

I doubt the OPPO is going to show up on the 'list' of compatible devices on Netflix, that probably gets updated once a year, lol!

only certain players can do 3d. mostly the ps3. not even the roku can do 3d.
they can do the superhd. I kinda doubt it that oppo will be able to do the 3d.

Jacob
post #9650 of 18003 Old 06-06-2013, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Have any of the reviews examined the scaling and deinterlacing of the HDMI input? Ive not seen one, unless I missed it. All the reviews seem to focus on audio and blu-ray, but of course one would be curious how well the HDMI In Back does with 720p and 1080i from a DVR.

I agree .. no one (to my knowledge) has reviewed the quality of the HDMI inputs. Since its the first BR player to have these type of inputs, reviewers probably didn't know what to do with them and with time constraints, they simply skipped them. Hardly any tested the quality of the headphone amplifier, with the exception of Secrets of Home Theatre and at that just a listening review, which I guess is fine. A few tested the USB dac and coaxial/optical inputs. Again Secrets did this as well plus maybe a few others.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #9651 of 18003 Old 06-06-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

only certain players can do 3d. mostly the ps3. not even the roku can do 3d.
they can do the superhd. I kinda doubt it that oppo will be able to do the 3d.

Jacob

According to Netflix´s website, currently only PS3 and only with certain LG TV models.
post #9652 of 18003 Old 06-06-2013, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPPOrtunist View Post

For the first time, I have spent some time comparing the output of HDMI1 and 2 with the same content and all picture adjustment settings at 0. I definitely prefer HDMI1 in terms of definition.

Top notch calibrators and even Stacey Spears, maker of the Spears & Munsil calibration disk says the same. HDMI-2 is inferior for video using cheesy interpolation algorithms like Nearest Neighbor(simple pixel replication which produces jaggies easily) which produces Chroma misalignment. 

HDMI-1 uses Bi-linear interpolation which is much superior with no chroma errors and minimal artifacts. If you want to know more, you can get the new S&M ver 2 disk and run the test patterns. You'll either cry or get elated at how your TV performssmile.gif!

lanping09 and OPPOrtunist like this.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #9653 of 18003 Old 06-07-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Top notch calibrators and even Stacey Spears, maker of the Spears & Munsil calibration disk says the same. HDMI-2 is inferior for video using cheesy interpolation algorithms like Nearest Neighbor(simple pixel replication which produces jaggies easily) which produces Chroma misalignment. 

HDMI-1 uses Bi-linear interpolation which is much superior with no chroma errors and minimal artifacts. If you want to know more, you can get the new S&M ver 2 disk and run the test patterns. You'll either cry or get elated at how your TV performs:) !

I have just ordered the S&M-2 disc from Amazon.com and eagerly look forward to putting my equipment through its paces.
post #9654 of 18003 Old 06-07-2013, 06:39 AM

I just picked up a bdp-103 and will be setting it up this weekend. My processor is a Marantz AV8801 and I will be using HDMI. Short of scouring through 9000 posts are there any setup tips/settings you would definitely recommend different from the factory default ?

a lotta in's, a lotta out's, a lotta what-have-you's
post #9655 of 18003 Old 06-07-2013, 06:43 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by creggers View Post

I just picked up a bdp-103 and will be setting it up this weekend. My processor is a Marantz AV8801 and I will be using HDMI. Short of scouring through 9000 posts are there any setup tips/settings you would definitely recommend different from the factory default ?

The FAQ has some tips: What are the recommended settings for the OPPO BDP-103?

The manual has a good section on audio configuration.

-Bill
post #9656 of 18003 Old 06-07-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:

HDMI-1 uses Bi-linear interpolation which is much superior with no chroma errors and minimal artifacts. If you want to know more, you can get the new S&M ver 2 disk and run the test patterns. You'll either cry or get elated at how your TV performs:) !

Yes, but HDMI 1 has forced DNR, while HDMI 2 does not. It's a trade-off, and you'll have to decide for yourself which problem is more bothersome to you.

I've reverted back to using the BDP-93 for the time being.
lanping09 likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #9657 of 18003 Old 06-07-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought HDMI 1 on the 93 had the same forced DNR.

65" VT50 / BDT460
post #9658 of 18003 Old 06-07-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:

The User Manual states as follows (p. 58):

"7. Noise Reduction: Allows you to select whether the player will apply video noise reduction processing. For HDMI 1, the noise reduction level can be set between 0 and 8. The default is level 0, which turns off noise reduction."

Reading this literally, there should be no noise reduction of any kind if the level is set to 0. Am I missing something??
post #9659 of 18003 Old 06-07-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Quote:

Yes, but HDMI 1 has forced DNR, while HDMI 2 does not. It's a trade-off, and you'll have to decide for yourself which problem is more bothersome to you.

I've reverted back to using the BDP-93 for the time being.

Several users have noticed that HDMI-1 looks a lot sharper after the latest beta firmware. You might have to try to for yourself and decide.

Quote:

Yes it does...but to what degree as compared to the 103/105, we do not know since they use the same video processor.rolleyes.gif

post #9660 of 18003 Old 06-07-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPPOrtunist View Post

Quote:

The User Manual states as follows (p. 58):

"7. Noise Reduction: Allows you to select whether the player will apply video noise reduction processing. For HDMI 1, the noise reduction level can be set between 0 and 8. The default is level 0, which turns off noise reduction."

Reading this literally, there should be no noise reduction of any kind if the level is set to 0. Am I missing something??

Confusing eh? Oppo has repeatedly said that even with NR set to zero, there is still inherent noise reduction going on within the QDEO processor.

lanping09 likes this.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page