Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 299Likes

post #991 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks Bob. But since some people here are beta tester can they test to see if these issues are present. The part I was talking about using sharpness beyond 3 and video details coming in and out are present on blu-ray and avchd folders too not just avi, mp4 and mkv's on 93 I don't know about 103. As for the noise reduction issue is also present low res dvd's or grainy videos in which the oppo does not completely get rids of these artifacts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 1038
Well I'm personally not a big fan of using Noise Reduction at all. My view is that if there's more noise in the content than I'm willing to tolerate, then I just don't watch that content.

So perhaps someone else will chime in with some anecdotal results.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #993 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Check to make sure you have the latest firmware in your Roku Streaming Stick. A recent firmware upgrade for their stick appears to have significantly improved its Wifi performance.
In your list of channels in the Roku stick select the gears icon (Settings) at the far left. Scroll down to Software Update and Check for Update.
Also, do you have the Roku stick plugged directly into the Front HDMI Input of the OPPO, or are you using some sort of adapter in between? If using an adapter, try plugging in directly and see if the Wifi performance problems go away. But my bet is that the firmware update is what's needed.
--Bob

Last week I received the Roku stick. I plugged it into the front port of the 103 but I could not get the Roku remote to pair. (even with the button). After awhile, however, I found that the OPPO remote would operate the Roku stick. The first thing that came up was new firmware to install. I did that. I have not watched a full movie with the Roku but I had no problems with my WiFi connection. I do note that the OSD of the Roku icons are very poor. Any ideas why I cannot pair the Roku remote?
post #994 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 03:53 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Pentium7,
I hope you have your flame suit handy......but since I'm in agreement with you, I'll get mine out of the closet too.smile.gif
It is kinda funny that people are saying that they want to burn backups for a variety of reasons that makes no sense.
I can almost see an argument for putting your movies on a server for easy access but it's only a matter of time before a hard drive fails. Wouldn't want to be the one that has to reload 300 movies. eek.gif

Let me give you one case in point where back ups can be important. Blu-Rays and DVDs do go out of print, just like books, records, etc.
For those of us who are serious collectors, and might have paid $75 or more for an ever more rare copy of an out of print film, having
back up abilities can be very reassuring.
post #995 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Mathus View Post

Last week I received the Roku stick. I plugged it into the front port of the 103 but I could not get the Roku remote to pair. (even with the button). After awhile, however, I found that the OPPO remote would operate the Roku stick. The first thing that came up was new firmware to install. I did that. I have not watched a full movie with the Roku but I had no problems with my WiFi connection. I do note that the OSD of the Roku icons are very poor. Any ideas why I cannot pair the Roku remote?

Actually I'm surprised to hear it COMES with a remote. The whole idea of using the HDMI/MHL-based stick is that it will be controlled by the remote of the host device. My Roku Stick is a test unit of course (not a retail purchase), but I've never seen/used a Roku remote with it.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #996 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 05:00 PM

I email oppo for noise reduction improvement and here is what they said:

The only new benefits the BDP-103 offers over the BDP-93 is the ability to convert 2D to 3D and upscale to 4K. All other core video quality aspects are identical. We have tweaked some of the de-interlacing algorithms to make them more accurate, but the Noise Reduction, Sharpness and Color Enhancements, as well as the upscaling, are identical to the BDP-93.

The Kyoto G2H revision was designed just to add 4K output, it was not engineered to supply any additional video quality enhancements over the original Kyoto G2.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

I guess the picture quality of the 93 is identical the 103 the only difference is a little improvement on dvd videos quality.
post #997 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:

Actually I'm surprised to hear it COMES with a remote. The whole idea of using the HDMI/MHL-based stick is that it will be controlled by the remote of the host device. My Roku Stick is a test unit of course (not a retail purchase), but I've never seen/used a Roku remote with it.
--Bob

The quick instructions - step 2 - is as follows:

"Grab the enhanced remote. It features motion control for games like Angry Birds. Even handy volume buttons."

I did not find any mention of use of remote of the host device. I only figured this out accidentally after giving up trying to pair the Roku remote.

Also, the documentation does not reference the OPPO 103.
post #998 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:

When you say the OSD of the Roku "icons" are very poor, can you elaborate on what you mean ?
post #999 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

(BANGING MY HEAD AGAINST THE WALL) Well, it appears (after investing MANY hours) that the 103 is (at least currently) NOT able to work as a "Player" via XBMC. Although I did get it to work with Jriver, it was VERY buggy (i.e some things would load then get hung up or not load at all and just crash the unit). The most reliable playback was via Twonky but as a front end, it will never work. Although there has been some interest expressed over at the My Movies forums, it seems it is not worth the time and effort to integrate 103 playback into My Movies (would would be rather awesome) for such a niche market. Very dissappointed.
post #1000 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 162
WRT Megamanwilson's response from Oppo:
You have a point, but as implemented for the Oppo BDP-103, the Kyoto G2H performs upconversion/de-interlacing of external sources, which the older Oppo didn't.

As someone that's otherwise happy with the BDP-93, the question is whether the de-interlacing of DVD sources, and upconversion/de-interlacing of TiVo SD and Apple TV's conversion of my iPad's native 720p, are better than a combination of the ABT chip on my Denon 4311 for TiVo and iDevice, and the 93 for DVD/BluRay.

I've had the perverse thought of keeping the 93, picking up the 103, and simply using it as a video processor from the output of my 4311 (all sources set to native mode), with the intention of eventually making it a more standard BluRay/DVD etc. player once I sell the 93 to someone (and the regionfree mod is available).

I'd be curious how the 103 stacks up against a DVDO Duo, or a Lumagen Radiance 3D Mini, with a Darblet in the mix between whatever my final video output is and our G15 Panny display. If it's not an unfair test by comparing the Oppo to the Lumagen, that is (aside from CMS, but I'm eventually getting a ISCcc capable display down the road).

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #1001 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanwilson View Post

The only new benefits the BDP-103 offers over the BDP-93 is the ability to convert 2D to 3D and upscale to 4K. All other core video quality aspects are identical. We have tweaked some of the de-interlacing algorithms to make them more accurate, but the Noise Reduction, Sharpness and Color Enhancements, as well as the upscaling, are identical to the BDP-93.

The Kyoto G2H revision was designed just to add 4K output, it was not engineered to supply any additional video quality enhancements over the original Kyoto G2.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com

I guess the picture quality of the 93 is identical the 103 the only difference is a little improvement on dvd videos quality.
I am gonna have to wait until they make a new chip that's better than qdeo in that regard.

It remains the case that both SD-DVD and 720p upscaling in the 103 are improved over the 93. Although the processor itself has not changed all that much (as OPPO stated above), they have found better ways to USE the abilities of that processor. The improvements are easy to spot.

In addition, the HDMI 2 video output of the 103 is quite a bit better than the HDMI 2 output of the 93. (Both players bypass the Kyoto processor when using the HDMI 2 output for video.)
--Bob

post #1002 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 05:49 PM

Liked: 11
What Codecs does this player support?
post #1003 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Quote:

--Bob

The quick instructions - step 2 - is as follows:

"Grab the enhanced remote. It features motion control for games like Angry Birds. Even handy volume buttons."

I did not find any mention of use of remote of the host device. I only figured this out accidentally after giving up trying to pair the Roku remote.

Also, the documentation does not reference the OPPO 103.

That sounds like their Game Controller. My understanding is that is supposed to connect via "Wifi Direct" to the Roku Stick.
--Bob

post #1004 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by elove View Post

What Codecs does this player support?

The same codecs as the BDP-93 (you can see a list on the following Wiki entry) with the addition of formats such as 3GP and FLV video, MPO pictures, and FLAC and DTS-HD Master in MKV containers.
post #1005 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

My stick arrrived last week and I played around with it last Saturday. To be blunt - very disappointed. The major issue as others have pointed out is you have to rely on Wi-Fi for connectivity and the little stick does a poor job of maintaining its connection (I have seen complaints about this posted on the net) - at least on the current firmware. It is about 8 feet from my router - for my 103 and other devices I connect via ethernet. I have a standalone Roku in my configuration as well and it doesn't have the Wi-Fi bug. As others have mentioned I would by an XS for the same price and connect via the back. Bob did have a good idea about using a angle HDMI connector - then its not sticking out 3 inches from your player. The white light on the front is annoying as well. I plan to return it within the 30 day window. I bought it to just try it out and see how it worked with the MHL port - that part was perfect. I do like the Roku remote app via the App store though. The Oppo remote was much more responsive the Roku's remote that came with the stick. As for PQ I didn't notice anything that would make me call it not good and it seemed better than my standalone Roku.

Thank you so much smurraybhm ...i was planning on using it but with receptivity problems, its a no go.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #1006 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Thank you so much smurraybhm ...i was planning on using it but with receptivity problems, its a no go.
Did you read on? There's not a consensus from all as to these receptivity issues. wink.gif
post #1007 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Did you read on? There's not a consensus from all as to these receptivity issues. wink.gif

I did read Bob's response about a newer FW update that would maybe help resolve the receptivity problem but he also had said earlier the PQ was dark on ROKU products. I need others to hopefully chime in on the PQ and wireless performance of th Roku stick.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #1008 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by megamanwilson

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com

I am gonna have to wait until they make a new chip that's better than qdeo in that regard.

It remains the case that both SD-DVD and 720p upscaling in the 103 are improved over the 93. Although the processor itself has not changed all that much (as OPPO stated above), they have found better ways to USE the abilities of that processor. The improvements are easy to spot.

In addition, the HDMI 2 video output of the 103 is quite a bit better than the HDMI 2 output of the 93. (Both players bypass the Kyoto processor when using the HDMI 2 output for video.)
--Bob

As you said before I am gonna order it when it comes out at amazon to test and compare withing the 30 day return period. What would make me keep it if it would work with the new popcorn hour a-400 for video processing because I like the front end of popcorn with displaying movie boxart, screenshots and rating of movies.
post #1009 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

That sounds like their Game Controller. My understanding is that is supposed to connect via "Wifi Direct" to the Roku Stick.
--Bob
If it is the same controller (does it have the A & B buttons?) that comes with the XS there is a pairing button inside the battery compartment hold it for three seconds. Can't remember if I had to do that when I set up my XS as it has been a while.
post #1010 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 07:15 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

So if the basic core of the Kyoto processor hasn't changed, and given that Oppo refers to the quality improvements in the 103 as "tweaking the algorithms", is it likely that any of the lessons learned from the 103 could appear in a future firmware update for the 93?

Probably wishful thinking, but one can always hope!

post #1011 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I did read Bob's response about a newer FW update that would maybe help resolve the receptivity problem but he also had said earlier the PQ was dark on ROKU products. I need others to hopefully chime in on the PQ and wireless performance of th Roku stick.

You are reading too fast. I never said the PQ was "dark" on the Roku stick. I said that the native apps on the OPPO produced better picture quality than their equivalent apps on the Roku. And that the UI was more responsive for the native apps. (The OPPO simply has more processing power to bring to bear for its native apps.)

Of course there are lots of apps on the Roku that have no native app equivalent on the OPPO.
--Bob

post #1012 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2-M0 View Post

Quote:

So if the basic core of the Kyoto processor hasn't changed, and given that Oppo refers to the quality improvements in the 103 as "tweaking the algorithms", is it likely that any of the lessons learned from the 103 could appear in a future firmware update for the 93?

Probably wishful thinking, but one can always hope!

I can't really give you a useful answer on that, as the Beta Testers aren't supposed to talk about implementation details -- which would definitely include things like whether a back port of such improvements is even possible, much less likely.
--Bob

post #1013 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

Quote:

--Bob
If it is the same controller (does it have the A & B buttons?) that comes with the XS there is a pairing button inside the battery compartment hold it for three seconds. Can't remember if I had to do that when I set up my XS as it has been a while.

Well I can't really help with that as I don't have one.
--Bob

post #1014 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:

--Bob

RF Bob.
post #1015 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 582
The remote (has the a and b buttons) with the stick is supposed to connect via wi-fi according to Roku. Using latest firmware and still not impressed with its wireless connection - I was using it last week. Read enough forums and you learn to always check for one during install. I like Roku - have 2 other of their boxes to go with 3 Apple TVs and one TV that's smart - marketers. I agree 100% with those who earlier pointed the advantage of a wired connection which isn't an option with the stick unlike other Roku devices. Bob I've learned from you - tried the stick without the right angle adaptor last week, no diff - do like using the adaptor to keep it from sticking out. I plan to pick up an XS at Costco for $88 and send the stick back - that will solve Amazon and a few other apps I like and no wifi required. I disagree about the dark picture - and you can tweak the settings to dial in your preferred picture. Still like Oppo remote the best - but their iphone app remote is pretty slick.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
post #1016 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are reading too fast. I never said the PQ was "dark" on the Roku stick. I said that the native apps on the OPPO produced better picture quality than their equivalent apps on the Roku. And that the UI was more responsive for the native apps. (The OPPO simply has more processing power to bring to bear for its native apps.)
Of course there are lots of apps on the Roku that have no native app equivalent on the OPPO.
--Bob

My apologies Bob about the 'dark PQ' comment. Any idea why the same apps on the Roku look 'worse' than those on the Oppo?

post #1017 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ As I said just above, it appears the Roku stick has less processing power than what's available to the native apps on the OPPO. This will be most evident in apps trying to do high end, HD video or apps with complicated UIs that have not had those UIs adjusted/simplified for the Roku version.
--Bob

post #1018 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

The remote (has the a and b buttons) with the stick is supposed to connect via wi-fi according to Roku. Using latest firmware and still not impressed with its wireless connection - I was using it last week. Read enough forums and you learn to always check for one during install. I like Roku - have 2 other of their boxes to go with 3 Apple TVs and one TV that's smart - marketers. I agree 100% with those who earlier pointed the advantage of a wired connection which isn't an option with the stick unlike other Roku devices. Bob I've learned from you - tried the stick without the right angle adaptor last week, no diff - do like using the adaptor to keep it from sticking out. I plan to pick up an XS at Costco for $88 and send the stick back - that will solve Amazon and a few other apps I like and no wifi required. I disagree about the dark picture - and you can tweak the settings to dial in your preferred picture. Still like Oppo remote the best - but their iphone app remote is pretty slick.

If you check what's within range for Wifi connections while the Roku Stick is live, I believe you'll spot a Roku-Direct Wifi that must be originating from the Stick. The original press release for the Roku Stick said its accessories would connect to it by Wifi Direct.

(Wifi Direct is the latest clever idea in Wifi. It is a scheme by which devices can network DIRECTLY between each other via Wifi without requiring the assistance of a router or Wifi base station. It is intended to compete against, e.g., Bluetooth-style connections. Wifi Direct doesn't use your house Wifi and doesn't go through your router or Wifi base station. The remote/game-controller would not need to know the name/password of your house Wifi for example.)

As for the Internet Wifi performance of the Roku, I find that with the current Roku firmware I'm getting the same good speed I get with the Wifi in the OPPO. For example if I run VUDU > My Vudu > Info & Settings > Network Speed Test using the native VUDU app on the 103 or the app on the Roku Stick, in my configuration both of them peg out at the top of the speed range continuously.

Also, with the latest Roku firmware, I'm finding the Monoprice right angle adapter I've been using is working fine with the Roku stick.
--Bob

post #1019 of 19509 Old 10-19-2012, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Park View Post

That would be terrific but would require a new dongle, right?
Just watched the new Titanic Blu-ray last night and at the end of the movie I had a audio drop out. Let me know what your experience was.

Sorry to have took so long to reply but I finally watched Titanic tonight on my 103 and had the sound drop out almost at the end just like you said. I searched the Titanic blu-ray thread for audio problems and found the that people were having a loud pop problem at the start of the film (about 29 seconds into the film). Didn't have that but did have the audio stop at about the 3:06 minute mark, just when the wrecked version transforms back into the whole ship and jack is on the staircase. I stopped the disc, restarted and went back to that scene and the audio played just fine. only did it once so I may go back and try again to see if it still plays. Don't think it's a problem with the player. Everything else I have watched has played just fine. By the way, got a chance to use the Vudu app on the player and loved it.

post #1020 of 19509 Old 10-20-2012, 12:09 AM

Liked: 11
Still having problems on my Panny St50 with the avengers 3D. Have tried everything under the sun. Cable is fine, it was supplied by OPPO itself and plays 2D just fine. The problem is that I don't have any other 3D blu ray to run. Avatar, Prometheus and Under the Sea (all 3D) are on the way. Oppo has no more suggestions. They are saying that no one else is facing these problems so there is not much that they can do. Based on what I am seeing at least in this forum, no one seems to be playing 3D blu-rays or at least the avengers 3D blu ray.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page