Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 358 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 358Likes
post #10711 of 19965 Old 08-03-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thank you for the adapter suggestions, ordering now.

I installed my Oppo to the final config last night, though it'll probably undergo some tweaks. I definitely am considering passing a couple of sources though the player if it's wife friendly enough. I also bought a Pioneer BDP-62FD this week on sale. Of course you get what you pay for and the Oppo is head and shoulders a more robust device.

Looking forward to spending some more time in this thread.

Sadly it seems that I can't just order 1 thing from Monoprice. I'm loading up the cart..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10712 of 19965 Old 08-03-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post

Thank you for the adapter suggestions, ordering now.

I installed my Oppo to the final config last night, though it'll probably undergo some tweaks. I definitely am considering passing a couple of sources though the player if it's wife friendly enough. I also bought a Pioneer BDP-62FD this week on sale. Of course you get what you pay for and the Oppo is head and shoulders a more robust device.

Looking forward to spending some more time in this thread.

Sadly it seems that I can't just order 1 thing from Monoprice. I'm loading up the cart..

You can get some nice Redmere HDMI cables from the, speaker wire. bluejeanscable.com is the place to get RCA's.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Corbin Dallas, "The Fifth Element"
post #10713 of 19965 Old 08-03-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

You can get some nice Redmere HDMI cables from the, speaker wire. bluejeanscable.com is the place to get RCA's.

Yeah I think I worded that poorly. My self control won't permit a small Monoprice order. eek.gif

The whole thing's crazy anyways. I was content with my setup until I started shopping for a new TV for my kids. The only result so far is 2 new Blu-ray players, an HDFury3, and a Micomsoft scaler for my old video game consoles.
post #10714 of 19965 Old 08-03-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah I think I worded that poorly. My self control won't permit a small Monoprice order. eek.gif

The whole thing's crazy anyways. I was content with my setup until I started shopping for a new TV for my kids. The only result so far is 2 new Blu-ray players, an HDFury3, and a Micomsoft scaler for my old video game consoles.

I understood it, perfectly. You can't just place a small order. You need a big order.

Time to break out the plastic. tongue.gif

post #10715 of 19965 Old 08-03-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

I just installed a new BDP-103 with a Roku Stream Stick.

I'm concerned about the stick/MHL port being damaged since it's in front. I've also seen some 90 degree adapters that keep it closer to the player.

Can I buy any HDMI 90 degree adapter, or do I need some special MHL compatible unit?

Thanks, prob a dumb question but I'm being cautious.

B

If you have Amazon Prime get this, the 270 degree adapter is what you want.....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PW3DKS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #10716 of 19965 Old 08-03-2013, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

If you have Amazon Prime get this, the 270 degree adapter is what you want.....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PW3DKS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you don't have Amazon Prime, the adapter is only $2 on http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041913&p_id=3850&seq=1&format=2

post #10717 of 19965 Old 08-03-2013, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

If you don't have Amazon Prime, the adapter is only $2 on

But shipping must be a few more bucks at least.

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #10718 of 19965 Old 08-04-2013, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm guessing the 90s outsell the 270s 20 to 1.
post #10719 of 19965 Old 08-04-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzlobo View Post

I'm guessing the 90s outsell the 270s 20 to 1.

With a 90, the stick will go down.

post #10720 of 19965 Old 08-04-2013, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did the Oppo firmware update about a week ago. Was pleased that it stabilized my Roku Stick's wifi connection so that I no longer needed to setup wireless connection every time I connected to the Stick. However, a couple of days ago a new Roku stick problem has started, and it's something I never saw prior to fw update. Navigating Roku is as normal, and all channels are connecting. But when I try to "play" anything, I get a violet colored screen and no sound. On-screen controls indicate that a video is playing (play, pause, buffering) - but no video shows up.

I powered down all devices and disconnected HDMI to reset, and it worked. But next day, the problem was back. I tried the factory reset on the Roku Stick, but with no result. Anybody else having this problem with Roku Stick?

Also, prior to firmware update, Oppo would produce audio on my Samsung TV (via HDMI1) in Split A/V mode. I have HDMI2 connected to Pioneer receiver. Now, I get no audio to TV via HDMI1 unless the Pioneer is on, and an input other than the Oppo's HDMI on the Pioneer is selected. If Pioneer is off, no Oppo audio to TV.

When doing the Oppo firmware update, I reset defaults as it suggested. Is there an Oppo setting I need to change to get audio sent to TV?

post #10721 of 19965 Old 08-04-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko79 View Post

I did the Oppo firmware update about a week ago. Was pleased that it stabilized my Roku Stick's wifi connection so that I no longer needed to setup wireless connection every time I connected to the Stick. However, a couple of days ago a new Roku stick problem has started, and it's something I never saw prior to fw update. Navigating Roku is as normal, and all channels are connecting. But when I try to "play" anything, I get a violet colored screen and no sound. On-screen controls indicate that a video is playing (play, pause, buffering) - but no video shows up.

I powered down all devices and disconnected HDMI to reset, and it worked. But next day, the problem was back. I tried the factory reset on the Roku Stick, but with no result. Anybody else having this problem with Roku Stick?

Also, prior to firmware update, Oppo would produce audio on my Samsung TV (via HDMI1) in Split A/V mode. I have HDMI2 connected to Pioneer receiver. Now, I get no audio to TV via HDMI1 unless the Pioneer is on, and an input other than the Oppo's HDMI on the Pioneer is selected. If Pioneer is off, no Oppo audio to TV.

When doing the Oppo firmware update, I reset defaults as it suggested. Is there an Oppo setting I need to change to get audio sent to TV?

I don't know nothing about the Roku.

The audio problem is caused by the Split A/V Setting. In your situation, it needs to be on Dual Display.

post #10722 of 19965 Old 08-04-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Going with a Roku 3. The stick is just way to slow and laggy.

Sadly, I hardly use my Oppo for blu-rays. It's mostly been streaming.
post #10723 of 19965 Old 08-04-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Most 90deg adapters will work fine.
post #10724 of 19965 Old 08-04-2013, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If I want to listen to 2 channel analog for music cds, should I connect the FR and FL outputs from my Oppo BDP-103 to my receiver FR and FL preouts or to the cd input?
post #10725 of 19965 Old 08-04-2013, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post

If I want to listen to 2 channel analog for music cds, should I connect the FR and FL outputs from my Oppo BDP-103 to my receiver FR and FL preouts or to the cd input?
You want the signal going into the cd inputs on your receiver .
post #10726 of 19965 Old 08-04-2013, 10:42 PM

Liked: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Evidently they are still developing the content. There are probably a limited number of titles that include captions at this point. As I understand it, there's a legal requirement for streaming services to have everything captioned by next year.
--Bob
Good to know. Hopefully, they're using some automated software to import the subtitle files into their database so as to make meeting that deadline a likely possibility. If anybody successfully finds a title with working captions, please post it here (I just want to see it functioning for starters for proof of life, so to speak). I've been using up a $5 credit that expires this month on the 99 cent rentals of the day, and I have yet to see any. I assume if I have it enabled in the VUDU settings, it should display on-screen automatically.
post #10727 of 19965 Old 08-05-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post

The regular "CD" stereo input on your AVR will digitize the audio again, unless it has a true "analog direct" function.
Otherwise, if the AVR has multichannel analog inputs, those should bypass any processing.
post #10728 of 19965 Old 08-05-2013, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
"But when I try to "play" anything, I get a violet colored screen and no sound. On-screen controls indicate that a video is playing (play, pause, buffering) - but no video shows up."

I get this sometimes (not very often). Mostly I see it when I go to Plex and the top bar has changed color on its splash screen. If I manage to play a movie through it, the colors are all off. I unplug the stick, power the Oppo off and on, and plug in the stick and power up. That solves it. I had assumed
it was Plex, maybe it is a Roku issue..
post #10729 of 19965 Old 08-05-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I've recently gotten into SACD's and the OPPO 103 handles them flawlessly. While it also handles "DSD" - my AVR (Pioneer SC65) does NOT handle DSD direct, so I just let the OPPO convert to PCM and to my AVR for DSD material.

I guess I missed the boat in the early 2000's and wish I had bought some SACD's back then - - it would have been a lot cheaper.

Between Ebay, Amazon, Amazon.ca, Elusive Disc and recently, CDJapan (J-SACD - reputed to be better than the states conversion - - I'll find out with the recently ordered Miles Davis J-SACD "Kind of Blue")- - I've been able to find some great discs.

It's almost like I've rediscovered music again and the "Multichannel" discs - - like the recent Doors releases (Mo Jo Risin bouncing between all the speakers!) has provided a great amount of listening enjoyment.

Any folks that listen to SACD's on their OPPO - - I'd be interested to know if "DSD Direct" sounds better than PCM. Also - - what receiver do you have that handles DSD direct?

Lastly - - I was in a local Best Buy this past weekend and I thought I'd look and see if they had any SACD's. Apparently, they don't stock any and when I asked two sales reps if they had any SACD's - - they didn't know what an SACD disc was! Boy, does that make me feel old (older!)

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #10730 of 19965 Old 08-05-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Most 90deg adapters will work fine.

Correct-but like folks are stating above, the physical shape of the adapter is at a 90 degree angle - as in shaped like an "L". However, the difference between a 90deg and 270deg is the "orientation" of jack/adapter once inserted. The "90 degree adapter" would place the ROKU facing down thus most would not be able to accommodate that orientation. (ROKU Stick would hit the shelf that the 103 was setting on etc.).

Thus when ordering you want the one labeled: "270 degree" if you expect the ROKU to point upward (or the 90deg if down does work for ya etc).

Cheers

Love DIY
post #10731 of 19965 Old 08-05-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The regular "CD" stereo input on your AVR will digitize the audio again, unless it has a true "analog direct" function.
Otherwise, if the AVR has multichannel analog inputs, those should bypass any processing.
Good point didnt even think of that because I'm running a seperate IA so it goes straight to the cd input on my IA .
post #10732 of 19965 Old 08-05-2013, 11:46 AM

I'm using the HDMI 1 output on the Oppo and running it into the 4311. I'm now thinking maybe to run a 2nd HDMI and connect the Oppo HDMI 1 directly to the projector. But would need to run a 2nd cable behind the wall. Has anyone tested this difference and noticed a picture quality difference? Or is it not noticeable at all? I know the Oppo's HMDI 1 output has the QDEO video processor and am wondering if this is negated going through the Denon and only then into the projector. Thanks, Steve
post #10733 of 19965 Old 08-05-2013, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

I've recently gotten into SACD's and the OPPO 103 handles them flawlessly. While it also handles "DSD" - my AVR (Pioneer SC65) does NOT handle DSD direct, so I just let the OPPO convert to PCM and to my AVR for DSD material.

I guess I missed the boat in the early 2000's and wish I had bought some SACD's back then - - it would have been a lot cheaper.

Between Ebay, Amazon, Amazon.ca, Elusive Disc and recently, CDJapan (J-SACD - reputed to be better than the states conversion - - I'll find out with the recently ordered Miles Davis J-SACD "Kind of Blue")- - I've been able to find some great discs.

It's almost like I've rediscovered music again and the "Multichannel" discs - - like the recent Doors releases (Mo Jo Risin bouncing between all the speakers!) has provided a great amount of listening enjoyment.

Any folks that listen to SACD's on their OPPO - - I'd be interested to know if "DSD Direct" sounds better than PCM. Also - - what receiver do you have that handles DSD direct?

Lastly - - I was in a local Best Buy this past weekend and I thought I'd look and see if they had any SACD's. Apparently, they don't stock any and when I asked two sales reps if they had any SACD's - - they didn't know what an SACD disc was! Boy, does that make me feel old (older!)

I love SACD's. I also find that I have re-discovered music with a good SACD and Multi-Channel mix.

I have the Oppo 103 and Pioneer SC-68.

For some reason, I do think DSD direct sounds better. It may be my imagination however..

In either case, finding a reasonably priced SACD is hard to do.
post #10734 of 19965 Old 08-05-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackVette View Post

I love SACD's. I also find that I have re-discovered music with a good SACD and Multi-Channel mix.

I have the Oppo 103 and Pioneer SC-68.

For some reason, I do think DSD direct sounds better. It may be my imagination however..

In either case, finding a reasonably priced SACD is hard to do.

Agreed - - expensive but a real gas to listen to! You can find some deals on Ebay and you really have to hunt for the best price.

Question: Does the SC-68 handle native DSD? My SC-65 will take the native DSD signal from the OPPO but convert it to PCM. It shows DSD then PCM right after it on the display. I even called Pioneer Technical Support and they said that my receiver will not pass native DSD. I guess you have to have Analogue Inputs? To simplify things, I just changed the settings in my OPPO to "PCM" and left it at that. (Thanks, Bob!)

When "Mama" is out of the house (and I work from home office) I'm really able to crank the sound.

The remastered "Doors" LA Woman is incredible! For a quick break, I went downstairs to the man cave and cranked it up (The Changeling) to around -12. (I've been UPTOWN !!!!)

Here's a question for you - - on Bluray discs - - even full 7.1 DTS-HD - - I never have the volume higher than a -30. Anything louder and you couldn't hear yourself think.

BUT!!! Why is music so different? I can easily go to -20 and even -12 on some discs. I'm not sure why this is the case but now I understand the whole "separates" preamp/amp setup. It's probably better for music.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #10735 of 19965 Old 08-05-2013, 01:03 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Here's a question for you - - on Bluray discs - - even full 7.1 DTS-HD - - I never have the volume higher than a -30. Anything louder and you couldn't hear yourself think.

BUT!!! Why is music so different? I can easily go to -20 and even -12 on some discs.

It's differences in mastering techniques and style. When done correctly, music is mastered to be more dynamic (i.e. the loudest parts are a whole lot louder than the quietest parts), while movies are mastered so that you can hear both quiet dialog and loud sound effects.

So if you have a well-mastered version of a Doors album, the diffference between Morrison saying "we want the world and we want it...." and him screaming "NOW" with the full band kicking back in is huge.

Of course a lot more "modern" music and "remasters" have their dynamic range squashed. For example try to listen to U2's "Vertigo" with earbuds. At high volume your ears will feel fatigued as the music doesn't "breathe", at low volume it will sound like the drummer is hitting cardboard.

If you have a few weeks to kill, do a 'net search for "Loudness Wars". :-)
post #10736 of 19965 Old 08-05-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Agreed - - expensive but a real gas to listen to! You can find some deals on Ebay and you really have to hunt for the best price.

Question: Does the SC-68 handle native DSD? My SC-65 will take the native DSD signal from the OPPO but convert it to PCM. It shows DSD then PCM right after it on the display. I even called Pioneer Technical Support and they said that my receiver will not pass native DSD. I guess you have to have Analogue Inputs? To simplify things, I just changed the settings in my OPPO to "PCM" and left it at that. (Thanks, Bob!)

When "Mama" is out of the house (and I work from home office) I'm really able to crank the sound.

The remastered "Doors" LA Woman is incredible! For a quick break, I went downstairs to the man cave and cranked it up (The Changeling) to around -12. (I've been UPTOWN !!!!)

BUT!!! Why is music so different? I can easily go to -20 and even -12 on some discs. I'm not sure why this is the case but now I understand the whole "separates" preamp/amp setup. It's probably better for music.

As far as DSD goes, I'm not sure I understand the difference...

It can handle the DSD feed from the Oppo via HDMI. On the front it will say DSD PCM. It says this is for SACD.

According to the manual, it can have the DSD light up by itself.

I also have the volume turned up louder on Blu Rays than on SACD's.

Its also funny that when the family is away, I can turn it up louder. They always make me turn things down.
post #10737 of 19965 Old 08-05-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

My Pioneer VSX-1120 does not have multichannel analog inputs, but it does have pure analog direct function, which I think it takes the analog source as is without redigitalizing it.
post #10738 of 19965 Old 08-05-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by babka View Post

I'm using the HDMI 1 output on the Oppo and running it into the 4311. I'm now thinking maybe to run a 2nd HDMI and connect the Oppo HDMI 1 directly to the projector. But would need to run a 2nd cable behind the wall. Has anyone tested this difference and noticed a picture quality difference? Or is it not noticeable at all? I know the Oppo's HMDI 1 output has the QDEO video processor and am wondering if this is negated going through the Denon and only then into the projector. Thanks, Steve

The Denon should have a video pass through setting. Supposedly this would avoid contamination of the 103 output. If you aren't using pass through try it and see if you can see a change in PQ. Before putting another cable in the wall I would find some way to temporarily connect the second cable to see if there is an improvement before doing all the wall work.
post #10739 of 19965 Old 08-05-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

I've tried it (Denon AVR-4310). As you probably know, some SACDs were not actually recorded using DSD, so I'm basing my conclusions only on some that were (Telarc and Exton, mostly): I found there was sometimes a difference between PCM and DSD transmission from the Oppo, but it was small and I couldn't say that one way sounded better than the other. However, I did find that (at least with my system in my listening room), the improvement from Audyssey room correction significantly outweighed any small difference that I heard when comparing DSD to PCM transmission (and you can't use Audyssey with a DSD signal). This was also the case with the Denon 3910 player I was using before I got the Oppo.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #10740 of 19965 Old 08-05-2013, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post

I'm fairly new to the 103 (6months) and to SACDs. I have a small collection of 9 so far, and I'm finding on some that the Disc Title is being read strangely on some discs (3 so far):
Mark Knopfler's Shangri-La shows as Shangri-Laler
Steely Dan's Gaucho shows as Gaucho Dan
Doobie Brother's Toulouse Street shows as Toulouse Streethers
The Who's Tommy has no title at all
I have 3 Elton John SACDs that all read correctly, Brothers In Arms from Dire Straits and a Black Sabbath SHM-SACD that also read fine.

All song titles on all discs read fine. I'm assuming the 103 is only reading what it's being given, but it seems a little weird that some of these titles are kind of screwy. I don't have another SACD player to try them on, just wondering if some of you have experienced the same thing with SACDs and/or the 103, thanks!

Since SACDs were just brought up again, wondering if anyone would like to chime in on this question I initiated a week or two ago but never got an answer on, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page