post #10801 of 18272 Old 08-07-2013, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicMau View Post

^^^
Could you comment on the audio quality from analog outputs vs HDMI on the 103?

Thanks a lot.

I run my 103 analogs directly into a Micromega IA-60 integrated amp. I don't have a receiver so I haven't tested the HDMI. But really, the difference between running HDMI and analog is going to be between the on-board DAC on your receiver and the Cirrus Logic CS4382A in the 103. It's impossible to make a blanket statement regarding HDMI vs. analog.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10802 of 18272 Old 08-07-2013, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Reloaded View Post

Anyone have the same bluraychip.dk PRO mod? Any confirmation (or refutation) of the issue would be helpful. I've emailed bluraychip.dk, but I know from past attempts that they don't always reply... If other people have the issue as well, we should all email. I understand these issues take time to resolve so I don't expect it to already be fixed, but just knowing that they are aware of it would be good.

Also, anyone have any region free mods that ARE still working since the latest July 24th firmware update?

I have the other region mod that's commonly available, installed internally. No firmware updates, it just works. Verified with the latest 103 firmware.

After all the problems I had with the bluraychip.dk pro mod in my 93 (corrupted start screen, lockups, failed firmware updates requiring replacement of the whole mod), I'll never go back. Yes, the other mods are a little less convenient because they require you to start up the player, enter the code, shut it down, and restart it in order to switch the region, but they're much more reliable and impervious (so far) to Oppo firmware updates. And the extra key presses really aren't all that big of a deal.

I've experienced your pain. I recommend getting rid of the pro mod. Not worth the hassle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10803 of 18272 Old 08-07-2013, 11:59 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:

My bluraychip.dk region free mod (PRO version) no longer works after one of the latest BDP-103 firmware updates (I may have been one or two behind before updating, so I can't verify which it would have started with).

Usage was always a little difficult - Pressing [1, 2, or 3] to start the player in the desired region would be sluggish, and the player would have to be restarted a second time using the normal Power button for things to operate smoothly - but the region would correctly change to A, B, or C. I confirmed with another user on this board that they also experienced this kind of behavior, so I assumed (and still do) that it's just the nature of the beast, with this mod at least.

Now, since the latest firmware update, things are much worse. The player must be restarted THREE additional times after using [1, 2, or 3] to switch the region before any menus are even accessible - the initial power up, and first two restarts just give you different frozen screens. And worst of all, the region no longer changes even after you go through all that. Using 0-7-7-0 to test the region from the Setup menu, it always says BD-A (though DVD is still set to 0).

Anyone have the same bluraychip.dk PRO mod? Any confirmation (or refutation) of the issue would be helpful. I've emailed bluraychip.dk, but I know from past attempts that they don't always reply... If other people have the issue as well, we should all email. I understand these issues take time to resolve so I don't expect it to already be fixed, but just knowing that they are aware of it would be good.

Also, anyone have any region free mods that ARE still working since the latest July 24th firmware update?

Thanks everyone.

My JVB Digital mod functions as intended also after the recent fw release. The zone/region info obtained via the Setup 0-7-7-0 command reflects the factory setting of the player and (at least in my case) is not altered by a different zone or region being selected via the mod.

I once emailed Bluraychip with a question about their mod which I had in my 93, but they did not deign to respond.
post #10804 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

^^^

Thanks a lot.

There is no way to  give a solid answer since it will depend on to what you are connecting the analog and HDMI outputs.  With the analog outs, will you be connecting them to a  good and purely analog signal path or will they be subjected to additional A/D/A conversions?  With the HDMI outputs, will the AVR/prepro DACs be better or worse than the ones in the 103 and will you be taking advantage of the additional features of the AVR/prepro, like bass management, post-processing and room EQ?

Too many variables but I can say that both analog and HDMI outputs are quite good.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10805 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 451
I have a question regarding the speaker configuration settings of the 103. I'm using the R front and L front analog outputs to a Parasound 2100 preamp. If the R front and L front speakers are set to small with a X-over of 80Hz would the signal passed to the 2100 be stripped of the lower frequencies for stereo playback?

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #10806 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I have a question regarding the speaker configuration settings of the 103. I'm using the R front and L front analog outputs to a Parasound 2100 preamp. If the R front and L front speakers are set to small with a X-over of 80Hz would the signal passed to the 2100 be stripped of the lower frequencies for stereo playback?

Bill

Yes.

Everything below that 80Hz will be steered towards the Subwoofer Output.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #10807 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

Thanks everyone.

I've had my internally-modified all-region BDP-103 since mid-January. I got it new from Bombay Electronics, who did the mod, and when it arrived, it already had the most recent firmware installed (BDP10X-38-1220), so counting this latest one (BDP10X-58-0719), I've only done two updates so far (I don't ever install the Beta test releases)... but neither the May 3rd BDP10X-50-422 update nor this one have had any effect on the 103's all-region capabilities.

I love this 103. For me, every function that I use -- no streaming at all; shiny-disc and USB thumb-drive .wav files, exclusively -- works flawlessly, every time.
post #10808 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

My bluraychip.dk region free mod (PRO version) no longer works after one of the latest BDP-103 firmware updates (I may have been one or two behind before updating, so I can't verify which it would have started with).

I think I saw somewhere that Bluraychip.dk had issued a firmware update for this mod. (This is the mod that is firmware updateable, isn't it?) That may be what you need.

post #10809 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
More good news, on a somewhat-related firmware/fix topic...

There have been a number of posts over the past several months that concerned fairly loud "clicking" or "popping" sounds that were occurring at the end of some user-recorded audio tracks. The latest firmware release notes say:

"Resolved an issue where a loud popping noise could be heard at the end of playing some WAV, MP3, and DSD music tracks."

A few months ago, when I learned of the Oppo's new ability to devise playlists for music tracks recorded onto USB thumb-drives, I installed the latest version of WavePad Sound Editor on my laptop, and began ripping and editing favorite tracks from my CDs (I really like using the WavePad editor, and I've been using it for years, to cut, fade-in, fade-out, and/or join tracks. It very easily allows doing so with extremely high precision.). All went beautifully -- i.e., the tracks played back perfectly on my laptop -- until I transferred them to a thumb drive. Played back on the Oppo, every track on the drive had a loud pop at its end!

Assuming that it couldn't possibly be the Oppo's fault, as a test, I re-ripped several tracks using Windows Media Player (I'm using Win 7, by the way), and transferred them to the thumb drive. Low-and-behold... no pops! Subsequent e-mails with NCH Software, who make WavePad, revealed that they were aware that this problem sometimes arose, and would hopefully have a fix for it... perhaps by late winter. rolleyes.gif

Consequently, I didn't really have high hopes that this latest Oppo firmware upgrade would have any effect at all on this dilemma. Much to my surprise and delight, THE POPS ARE GONE!

So to RicMau and any others who are concerned about the fact that Oppo does frequent firmware updates...
Quote:

I've a Pioneer 1522K receiver and has no analog inputs. I'm contemplating to buy the Oppo, so lurking here though scares me the number of firmware updates the player still needs.

... as globalnomad pointed out in response to that post, these updates are a GOOD thing!
post #10810 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Does anybody know how to get the bluraymod.dk firmware update? I send them a mail last night but have no reply yet.

post #10811 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post

Does anybody know how to get the bluraymod.dk firmware update? I send them a mail last night but have no reply yet.

It turns out it was in this forum that I saw something about it. Here is a link to the post which has a link to the update: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432162/official-oppo-bdp-103-owners-thread/8820#post_23315224

If you had searched this forum for "bluraychip.dk" you would have found it. Search is your friend on AVS Forum.

post #10812 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

Yes.

Everything below that 80Hz will be steered towards the Subwoofer Output.

Mongo,

Thanks for your help smile.gif! I had a feeling that was the way it would work but I wanted to make sure.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #10813 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 01:16 PM

Liked: 16
RicMau,

The "HDMI Audio quality" depends almost totally on what is on the other end of the HDMI cable. If your receiver has a a better or worse DAC and analog section than that in the 103 (pretty darned good) you will notice a difference. I'll tell you that the 103 sounds better than the DAC in my Yamaha DSP-A1 fed through toslink or S/PDIF.
post #10814 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Well for me im stuck using the dac in my anthem mrx 300 ..anything going into the mrx is digitizing. The signal in order for arc to do room correction
so im missing out on how the dac sounds in the oppo..and the dac/converter cd player i have is also of no use to me..looks like i will be putting things up on audiogone!.... although the sound from my dac/converter cd player sounds amazing...it is actually going thru multiple. Ad/da conversions before being sent to my speakers...wish the mrx 300 had a pure direct mode...but that would cancel out arc...and arc is a huge difference in the sound from quality!
post #10815 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Found also the one directly from bluraychip.dk

http://www.bluraychip.dk/firmware/Pro_modchip_release_102b.zip

Works smoothly!

post #10816 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:

Found also the one directly from bluraychip.dk

http://www.bluraychip.dk/firmware/Pro_modchip_release_102b.zip

Works smoothly!

Good for you! Better yet, you found it without having to put up with more unsolicited advice.smile.gif On a related note, My JVB Digital all regions mod has continued to work well.

I will second the observation made by an earlier poster: frequent firmware upgrades to a BD player are a good thing. Too many cheap BD players end up with problems after a while because they aren't updated. In the case of Oppo players, frequent firmware updates are even more important because of how much the Oppos can do.
post #10817 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

The difference in audio quality between analog output vs hdmi output is easy noticeable?

I've a Pioneer 1522K receiver and has no analog inputs. I'm contemplating to buy the Oppo, so lurking here though scares me the number of firmware updates the player still needs.

Well, I have two other BluRay players (about to go on sale via Amazon) that work fine but don't get any updates anymore. As a result, people who own these machines regularly post about newly released BDs that won't play on their machines. From what I'm seeing on this forum, Oppo tends to release firmware that keeps their machines from becoming obsolete, as well as adding features and eliminating bugs. Very happy (after two weeks of ownership) with my 103.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #10818 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question: Using an external drive via USB, and have both of the AVS user created Demo Discs… I would like to drop both of the folders for each of these onto the drive, but when I do one it works, but a 2nd will not.

Is it not possible to uses the modify program on two different AVCHD on the same drive?
post #10819 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm contemplating to buy the Oppo, so lurking here though scares me the number of firmware updates the player still needs.

With Oppo it is a good thing. Most if not all of their FW updates are to improve the players features, operation and playback with discs that have issues playing. I emailed Oppo today with a question on my 103. I received a response to my email within ten minutes. That is incredible service and I told Oppo I was a customer for life smile.gif.

Bill

post #10820 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 02:49 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercw2 View Post

Question: Using an external drive via USB, and have both of the AVS user created Demo Discs… I would like to drop both of the folders for each of these onto the drive, but when I do one it works, but a 2nd will not.

Is it not possible to uses the modify program on two different AVCHD on the same drive?

If these are actual AVCHD structures without copy protection then no modification should be necessary. The AVS HD 709 disc AVCHD version plays without issue on USB and over SMB, for example.

What is the error behavior? Do you have a link to the problem disc?

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #10821 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 03:26 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Ellis View Post

RicMau,

The "HDMI Audio quality" depends almost totally on what is on the other end of the HDMI cable. If your receiver has a a better or worse DAC and analog section than that in the 103 (pretty darned good) you will notice a difference. I'll tell you that the 103 sounds better than the DAC in my Yamaha DSP-A1 fed through toslink or S/PDIF.
I suspect the DAC on the OPPO could be better than in the Pioneer 1522k. So if I got it correctly using HDMI it will mostly depends on how good the pioneer is, but the pio 1522k has no analog inputs to try it frown.gif
Thanks to all for their replies on this matter.
post #10822 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

I suspect the DAC on the OPPO could be better than in the Pioneer 1522k. So if I got it correctly using HDMI it will mostly depends on how good the pioneer is, but the pio 1522k has no analog inputs to try it frown.gif
Thanks to all for their replies on this matter.

I have the BDP-83 and a Pioneer Elite VSX-33. I've compared using the analog connections to the 33 vs. connecting strictly by HDMI. I've used it for all of the music and HT formats that the 83 can handle, and can say that both sounded great.

The tradeoff that you make when connecting by analog is that you bypass the room correction that the AVR provides. This is not a bad thing if you are careful in setting the parameters in the Oppo, but it does require more time and patience in setting it up. Once set, you're in good shape, but the demand is there.

I use strictly HDMI because of the room correction and the convenience now. The 83 is not as capable as later models in configuring the room parameters, so the 103 may be better at competing with an AVR.

In the end, both sounded great for me, I chose HDMI because of convenience and thought the room correction made for better sound.
post #10823 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPPOrtunist View Post

My JVB Digital mod functions as intended also after the recent fw release. The zone/region info obtained via the Setup 0-7-7-0 command reflects the factory setting of the player and (at least in my case) is not altered by a different zone or region being selected via the mod.

I once emailed Bluraychip with a question about their mod which I had in my 93, but they did not deign to respond.

Just saw this, now that I'm considering buying the Oppo 103 to replace my Oppo 93 (which has the JVB "pro" mod, but I have only used it for DVDs in the past year) for a "creative" secondary usage I found for it as a source switcher for HDMI-based TiVo and Apple TV, applying Trinnov to the HDMI out via a Sherwood R-972, and then to an amp. At least as a "science experiment" with some risk minimization, given a Harmony programmable remote we currently use.

Does anyone know if the JVB mod is Pro or not, and is it the same as the bluraychip.dk one? And did you do an install yourself into a unit purchased from Oppo or from JVB, given that you have the mod.

I'm leaning toward pulling the trigger. At the very least, I'll be "up to date".

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

post #10824 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

^^^

Thanks a lot.

It depends on which has the better audio DACs, the player or the receiver. Since your receiver doesn't have analog inputs, it's really a moot point. If your receiver has good audio DACs, then the 103 would be a great player for you, connected via HDMI. If you are unhappy with the audio with your current receiver, then it's time to upgrade the receiver. Whether you want to use the audio DACs of the 103 or a new receiver depends on which has the better DACs (and you'd have to pick a receiver to get that answer). Of course, for more $$, the 105 has even better audio DACs than the 103. But you should not go that route unless you get a receiver with analog inputs.
post #10825 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

Does anyone know if the JVB mod is Pro or not, and is it the same as the bluraychip.dk one? And did you do an install yourself into a unit purchased from Oppo or from JVB, given that you have the mod.

I'm leaning toward pulling the trigger. At the very least, I'll be "up to date".

So far as I know, the JVB all regions chip for the 103 does not call itself "Pro." Nevertheless, mine has performed flawlessly. I ordered mine by mail and installed it myself without much trouble. From what I have read here and elsewhere, the JVB chip operates somewhat differently from the one from blueraychip..dk but seems to handle Oppo's frequent firmware updates significantly better than the blueraychip.dk chip.
post #10826 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

So far as I know, the JVB all regions chip for the 103 does not call itself "Pro." Nevertheless, mine has performed flawlessly. I ordered mine by mail and installed it myself without much trouble. From what I have read here and elsewhere, the JVB chip operates somewhat differently from the one from blueraychip..dk but seems to handle Oppo's frequent firmware updates significantly better than the blueraychip.dk chip.

I think there is one where you can do the external mod. that is what I would do if I ever tried again. the bluraychi.dlk is highly overrated and so is the company. while I got my money back they were more slow then anything to do anything about it. certainly would not recommend them to anyone.

Jacob
post #10827 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Good for you! Better yet, you found it without having to put up with more unsolicited advice.smile.gif

Looks solicited to me.
post #10828 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

I think there is one where you can do the external mod. that is what I would do if I ever tried again. the bluraychi.dlk is highly overrated and so is the company. while I got my money back they were more slow then anything to do anything about it. certainly would not recommend them to anyone.

JVB Digital offered an external all regions for for one of the earlier Oppos but I think the only version available for the 013 is internal. Nevertheless, it's easy to install.
post #10829 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzlobo View Post

Looks solicited to me.

He solicited advice the first time and got snarky unsolicited advice about using the search function for his trouble. Then he posted that he had found the info he needed on the blueray.com site. There is no indication I saw that he had any help finding the link that he found useful. If you have information contrary to this please tell us about it.
post #10830 of 18272 Old 08-08-2013, 09:28 PM

Liked: 12
I would doubt the bass crossover filter is a brick-wall type which would eliminate "everything" under that chosen frequency. Usually there is a slope from that point downward at so many db per octave.

I run the 40 hertz choice allowing the sub to function with little if any loss of low end in my full range speakers.

Old time audiophile and vinyl collector of various surround sound formats from the 70's sq/qs/cd4 (and even EV)
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page