Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 364 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10891 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 864
^ Also try powering up using the Tray Open button instead of the Power button. If the failure is happening after it starts to load the disc that will open the tray ahead of time so the disc does not try to load.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10892 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a Denon AVR-4520CI and this Blu-ray player, paired with a Sony VPLHW50ES. I've never changed the default settings of the Blu-ray player. And every time I do a firmware update I let it reset them again to the defaults.

Is there any functionality I'm missing out on (relating to blu-rays) by never changing the defaults? Is there an optimum setup that people prefer to use with their player to get better picture or sound quality?

Thanks!

post #10893 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 10:41 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oven View Post

I've got a Denon AVR-4520CI and this Blu-ray player, paired with a Sony VPLHW50ES. I've never changed the default settings of the Blu-ray player. And every time I do a firmware update I let it reset them again to the defaults.

Is there any functionality I'm missing out on (relating to blu-rays) by never changing the defaults? Is there an optimum setup that people prefer to use with their player to get better picture or sound quality?

Thanks!

The manual has recommended settings for various audio configurations.

For video we recommend leaving the Picture Adjustments at 0 and calibrating the display as needed.

For other general advice, see the FAQ: What are the recommended settings for the OPPO BDP-103?

-Bill
TheFactor likes this.

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #10894 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

The manual has recommended settings for various audio configurations.

For video we recommend leaving the Picture Adjustments at 0 and calibrating the display as needed.

For other general advice, see the FAQ: What are the recommended settings for the OPPO BDP-103?

-Bill

Excellent FAQ, and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Bill.

post #10895 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have had several BD players including Samsung, LG and Panasonic but the Oppo seems to be the slowest at coming out of "Pause". Anyone know why the Oppo 103 takes a few seconds to "Play" after being paused for a few minutes? All my other BD players immediately play when coming out of pause.

lujan
670 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #10896 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Silly question: if someone planned to use the Oppo 103 as a switcher/decoder for TiVo and ATV3 via HDMI inputs, with the Oppo connected on one HDMI output to a video display chain and the other HDMI output feeding into a Trinnov equipped R-972 acting as an specialized RC audio processor (Split A/V), can the Oppo be safely left as 'Always On', or is it only advisable to turn on/off in suspected HDMI handshake sequence (TV-R972-Denon 4311 as an 'amp' on Ext. In-Oppo)?

The room correction audio processor in this context would be non-ARC compatible.

There's a reason...we have a Harmony remote with macros, but I have one person in the HH who tends to sometimes do things manually that I'd have to retrain. I'm 99% sure I know what the answer will be, but double checking.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

post #10897 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I have had several BD players including Samsung, LG and Panasonic but the Oppo seems to be the slowest at coming out of "Pause". Anyone know why the Oppo 103 takes a few seconds to "Play" after being paused for a few minutes? All my other BD players immediately play when coming out of pause.
Yes I noticed that also and it was annoying at first but I'm getting use to it especially since the 103 shines in most other areas compared to other BDP .

My current HT
post #10898 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 12:33 PM

I tried unplugging for five minutes, detaching all other cables and turning on from disc open button. Unit will only power on and off.
post #10899 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantasteve View Post

I tried unplugging for five minutes, detaching all other cables and turning on from disc open button. Unit will only power on and off.
Was the internet disconnected during a firmware upgrade?
post #10900 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 01:05 PM

I am guessing the answer is yes. I had no Internet for about 48 hours
post #10901 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

I would call Oppo as I fear if this is the case you may have bricked the unit but they will have an answer or ask that you ship the unit to them I have found their customer service is second to none.
Also you need to make sure they know a disc is in the tray .
post #10902 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

I would call Oppo as I fear if this is the case you may have bricked the unit but they will have an answer or ask that you ship the unit to them I have found their customer service is second to none.

Thanks. I bought the unit at best buy so hopefully they will exchange.
post #10903 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

That's strange I didn't even know Best buy carried them .

My current HT
post #10904 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

That's strange I didn't even know Best buy carried them .

I believe that is through their "Magnoiia Store" which not all locations have. Those in-house stores generally carry higher-end components.

Vizio M501D-A2r hdtv, Sony STR-DN1050 AVR, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray, Samsung BD-UP5000 HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo, Roku 3, Apple TV
other older items of various types and vintages
post #10905 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

Just having the power and Internet go out is not the same as having a power failure or internet failure during a firmware update. Firmware updates have to be initiated by someone, so you should know if one was in process when the power failed.
post #10906 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:

Thanks. I bought the unit at best buy so hopefully they will exchange.

Oppo will still fix you up if you ask. If you can't get an exchange that's the way to go. Oppo will only keep it for a day.
post #10907 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:

Can't speak to the other players, but the Oppo is designed to spin down the optical drive after a few minutes in pause. You're simply waiting for it to spin back up.
post #10908 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

You've probably done most of this, but check this to make sure you tried everything listed: http://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=6

Also try what Bob suggested below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Also try powering up using the Tray Open button instead of the Power button. If the failure is happening after it starts to load the disc that will open the tray ahead of time so the disc does not try to load.
--Bob
post #10909 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post

I believe that is through their "Magnoiia Store" which not all locations have. Those in-house stores generally carry higher-end components.
Ok that explains it , Thanks .

My current HT
post #10910 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Can't speak to the other players, but the Oppo is designed to spin down the optical drive after a few minutes in pause. You're simply waiting for it to spin back up.

That makes sense then, thanks! Don't know why they set it to spin down so quickly though?

lujan
670 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #10911 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 03:24 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

We all hope it will be fixed soon.

-Bill

Probably not before September or October since they seem to be coming out with firmwares every two-three months, and that's IF they correct this problem then.

I converted one 1080p24 video that did moiré before in the 0422 firmware to m2ts to be able to play it in 24hz and it is not doing the moiré effect anymore? I guess they fixed something about that in the latest firmware. Also, the exact same MKV file that was doing the moiré before in 24Hz but now running in 60Hz does not do it either. So either they corrected this or it is the combination MKV + 24Hz that did it.

They could have corrected it because they clearly added undocumented things to the latest firmware like the ability to resume on files now, which is not something I wanted anyway.
post #10912 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by creator441 View Post

... which is not something I wanted anyway.
It's my impression, which may not be right, that you seem to find a way in every post to mention something about the OPPO that you didn't want anyway. wink.gif

Enjoy. smile.gif

Calibration Resources:

post #10913 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That makes sense then, thanks!
X2 cool.gif

My current HT
post #10914 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 04:12 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

It's my impression, which may not be right, that you seem to find a way in every post to mention something about the OPPO that you didn't want anyway. wink.gif

Enjoy. smile.gif

Yeah I'm sorry I'm just bummed about the loss of 24Hz/50Hz in MKV, I only view files with this player which the vast majority is MKV so it's a major deal for me personally and I really want to like the Oppo and use it exclusively but looks like I'll have to switch between my Dune and the Oppo.
post #10915 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 07:32 PM

Hello had a few questions on the oppo 103 player as I was thinking of getting one. I don't currently have a blue ray player and had a few questions on the oppo unit. First question was if I understand it correctly I can hook up my Verizon set top box to this unit and it will up convert the signal. If that is so has anyone been doing this and if so had it improved the picture. Second is for what this unit cost would it be better just spending the extra money for the next higher unit from opps. I was also looking at the pioneer elite units. Thanks
post #10916 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 07:36 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bziggy View Post

Second is for what this unit cost would it be better just spending the extra money for the next higher unit from opps.

The BDP-105? Only if you need an upgrade in analog audio or dedicated stereo outputs. Or must have the additional digital inputs or the headphone jack.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #10917 of 18272 Old 08-11-2013, 11:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by bziggy View Post

First question was if I understand it correctly I can hook up my Verizon set top box to this unit and it will up convert the signal. If that is so has anyone been doing this and if so had it improved the picture.
Yes... using my own HTPC whole-home system as the source (fed from TWC/LA cablecard). HDMI output of the "extender" (remote satellite box, aka "client", to deliver HDTV from the HTPC, aka "server", connected through home LAN).

The upconversion of 720p and 1080i to 1080p in the 103, along with the QDEO video processing by the Oppo 103 for delivery to my Panny 65VT50, produces stunning results. Looks like film, or a "live window" (e.g. today's PGA golf on CBS)... fantastic.

If you do go this way, I strongly urge you that if possible to set up your Verizon (FIOS?) box to put out "native" resolution, i.e. 720p source -> 720p output, and 1080i source -> 1080i output. If the box does not have a "native" setting for automatically retaining source program resolution as output, then bite the bullet of obvious minor inconvenience and nuisance and manually set the output resolution yourself to match the the source resolution of whatever program you're watching. The improved visual results far outweigh any minor steps to reconfigure. You do not want the Verizon box doing any upconverting of any kind.

In other words, the 103 does by far the best job of upconversion to 1080p (for any given source resolution) of any of the devices... either your DVR/STB box or even your HDTV itself. So you want it to be the 103 that delivers the 1080p to the HDTV, either upconverting from source program 720p -> 1080p, or upconverting from source program 1080i -> 1080p.

You will absolutely not be disappointed with the resulting 1080p images from 720p/1080i HDTV out of the 103. Stunning!
whippersnapper likes this.
post #10918 of 18272 Old 08-12-2013, 04:55 AM

Liked: 12
I have had to lowere the resolution to 1080i to play the last 2 DVD movies rented from redbox. At 1080p may TV displays "unsupported format".
Is this normal?
post #10919 of 18272 Old 08-12-2013, 04:57 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston99 View Post

I have had to lowere the resolution to 1080i to play the last 2 DVD movies rented from redbox. At 1080p may TV displays "unsupported format".
Is this normal?

No.

Does your display not accept 24hz, and do you have both 1080p24 and DVD 24p turned on? That would explain unsupported mode.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #10920 of 18272 Old 08-12-2013, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Recently decided to start using my 103 for streaming FLAC files from my NAS and was greeted with thousands of unsorted directories and files. WTF! I figured by now OPPO would have fixed this problem. Any word on this or why OPPO thinks this is acceptable on a $500 player?

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV 3, Marantz SR-7009, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, 4 x Cambridge Minx 11
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page