post #11161 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

64 channels? My house isn't big enough for that many speakers.

Sure your house is big enough - - they are "teeny" speakers. I'm sure the wiring would be fun - - definitely a project for a house under new construction.

Anybody old enough to remember the "coffin" stereo/consoles of the 60's with the turntable, radio and a ga-zillion speakers (which I still do not understand why they did that) with access via an "open lid" look? Those were the days of real "Hi-Fidelity." A couple scotches, some jazz or Ray Charles and the old slam/bam turntable with five records stacked on each other. That's what my folks did as I peeked out my bedroom door. Then again, I couldn't see much for all the cigarette smoke.

I did experiment with a 9.1 (even 11.1) channel speaker setup but it was really overkill. I settled into 7.1 and haven't looked back.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11162 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I must ask you guys something.

On the Output Volume of the 103, what do you have it turn up to? Right now, it is at 100. I believe when I first received the 103, the volume setting of the 103 was 100.

But maybe at 100 is too high and that may cause the static pop or click sounds that I keep hearing.
post #11163 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Ellis View Post

Pops and clicks may be due to a ground loop or grounds being at different DC levels. In my case it is the cable TV ground being a different potential than the power ground. Are all of the components of your system connected to the same outlet? As Bob P suggested to me, disconnect everything and pug your oppo and your receiver into the same wall outlet. Connect the oppo to the receiver with only the RCA cable (should go to the receiver's CD INPUT not output). Play a shiny disc. Are the pops and clicks gone? One piece at a time reconnect the rest of your system, checking for the pops and clicks after every connection. Eventually you will find the offending device. Most likely the cable box. In my case I can connect the cable box as long as I don't connect the cable to it. If that's the case with you, a call to service is in order.

It's not the ground loop because I do not hear any hum from the speakers. I had ground loop problems in my previous home and I can always hear the hum from my speakers even when the volume is at low level. At high volume, you can REALLY hear the hum from the ground loop.

When I am listening to a CD, the 103 sounds fantastic! The problem is when you are listening to the very last song and the 103 stop the CD after the last song, you can here the static pop or click sounds. I can really hear the static pop or click sounds when I turn up the volume to the max. I even tried different RCA cables and still did not solve the static pop or click sounds.

So I decided to try a different CD player using the RCA connection to see if I still hear the static pop or click sounds. To my surprise, I did not hear the static pop or click sounds from my other universal player (Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi). The DV-79AVi was dead quiet after the last song when the 103 automatic stop the CD. I had the volume crank all the way to the max on the receiver and heard absolutely nothing. At the very end of the song, I put my ear right next to the tweeter but there was not static pop or click on the DV-79AVi.

Getting back to the 103. When I use the HDMI cable and listen to CD music, I did not hear a static pop or click sounds at all. However, using the Left and Right analog with the 103 seems to sounds much better than using the HDMI cable. The DAC within the 103 sounds really good but only through using the Analog connection Left and Right rca on the back of the 103.

I am thinking OPPO sent me a defective 103.

Ground Loops come in different flavors -- and they don't all "hum". DC voltage bias produces transients -- "clicks" or "pops"

Is the Pioneer you tried a 2-prong or 3-prong power cord player? Did you connect up ALL the same connections to it that you had originally connected to the OPPO?

If you didn't have ALL The connections attached to it, then disconnect those from the OPPO as well and see if the problem goes away.

If the Pioneer is 2-prong, which I think is correct, then try this:

Get a 3-prong to 2-prong "cheater" adapter (Radio Shack or a hardware store) and put that on the end of the OPPO's 3-prong power cord. The cheater may have a ground wire that's to be attached separately from just plugging it in -- do *NOT* attach that ground wire to anything.

See if that makes your "clicks" and "pops" go away with the OPPO. You may need to try both ways around of plugging in that 2-prong combo.

If this makes the problem go away, then, given what you've already observed with the Pioneer, you can be PRETTY SURE you really DO have a Ground Loop.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11164 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

I must ask you guys something.

On the Output Volume of the 103, what do you have it turn up to? Right now, it is at 100. I believe when I first received the 103, the volume setting of the 103 was 100.

But maybe at 100 is too high and that may cause the static pop or click sounds that I keep hearing.

Volume 100 (or "FIXED" in Setup, which is the same thing) is the "normal" Volume setting when you have the Analog output jacks connected to a pre-amp.

Anyway, Volume too high would not manifest as clicks or pops, but rather "distortion" during louder passages if you are "clipping" the inputs of whatever you have it connected to.
--Bob

post #11165 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:

It's not the ground loop because I do not hear any hum from the speakers. I had ground loop problems in my previous home and I can always hear the hum from my speakers even when the volume is at low level. At high volume, you can REALLY hear the hum from the ground loop.

When I am listening to a CD, the 103 sounds fantastic! The problem is when you are listening to the very last song and the 103 stop the CD after the last song, you can here the static pop or click sounds. I can really hear the static pop or click sounds when I turn up the volume to the max. I even tried different RCA cables and still did not solve the static pop or click sounds.

So I decided to try a different CD player using the RCA connection to see if I still hear the static pop or click sounds. To my surprise, I did not hear the static pop or click sounds from my other universal player (Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi). The DV-79AVi was dead quiet after the last song when the 103 automatic stop the CD. I had the volume crank all the way to the max on the receiver and heard absolutely nothing. At the very end of the song, I put my ear right next to the tweeter but there was not static pop or click on the DV-79AVi.

Getting back to the 103. When I use the HDMI cable and listen to CD music, I did not hear a static pop or click sounds at all. However, using the Left and Right analog with the 103 seems to sounds much better than using the HDMI cable. The DAC within the 103 sounds really good but only through using the Analog connection Left and Right rca on the back of the 103.

I am thinking OPPO sent me a defective 103.

Aside from what Bob posted, I'll add that a ground potential can create pops or clicks. Try this while playing back your CD: pause playback, fast forward or rewind. Do any of those things also create a click/pop? The Oppo outputs fairly high voltage over the analog outs, its not impossible that its a poor match for your amp. All this stuff is alchemy, not science, and strange things happen for no reason. The fact than a different brand player does not do this means very little, since it could have 50% of the output voltage as the Oppo. Grounding does sometimes cure these type issues.
post #11166 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Ground Loops come in different flavors -- and they don't all "hum". DC voltage bias produces transients -- "clicks" or "pops"

Is the Pioneer you tried a 2-prong or 3-prong power cord player? Did you connect up ALL the same connections to it that you had originally connected to the OPPO?

If you didn't have ALL The connections attached to it, then disconnect those from the OPPO as well and see if the problem goes away.

If the Pioneer is 2-prong, which I think is correct, then try this:

Get a 3-prong to 2-prong "cheater" adapter (Radio Shack or a hardware store) and put that on the end of the OPPO's 3-prong power cord. The cheater may have a ground wire that's to be attached separately from just plugging it in -- do *NOT* attach that ground wire to anything.

See if that makes your "clicks" and "pops" go away with the OPPO. You may need to try both ways around of plugging in that 2-prong combo.

If this makes the problem go away, then, given what you've already observed with the Pioneer, you can be PRETTY SURE you really DO have a Ground Loop.
--Bob

Excellent idea but I already tried it on the 103. The popping and clicking sound is still there even with the cheater plug. I had a ground loop problem in my previous home so I bought the cheater plug. Sure enough, I had a ground loop problem.

The pioneer receiver does not have a 3-prong. Just a 2-prong.

But my current home does not have ground loop problem.
post #11167 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Just to be clear, you tried the cheater plug both ways around?

And in your Pioneer test, you had all the cables connected to it that you normally use with the OPPO?

If you believe you've eliminated the possibility of an external cause, then of course you should get in touch with OPPO. They may have other suggestions for diagnosing this, or may just swap out the player as a diagnostic step.
--Bob

post #11168 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And in your Pioneer test, you had all the cables connected to it that you normally use with the OPPO?

If you believe you've eliminated the possibility of an external cause, then of course you should get in touch with OPPO. They may have other suggestions for diagnosing this, or may just swap out the player as a diagnostic step.
--Bob

What do you mean by trying the cheater plug BOTH ways around? I used the cheater plug on the 103 only. Do you want me to try it on the pioneer receiver as well? That would make no since because the pioneer only got 2-prong.

Yes, I had all the cables connected to it that I normally use with the 103.

I am in talk with OPPO at this moment.
post #11169 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Aside from what Bob posted, I'll add that a ground potential can create pops or clicks. Try this while playing back your CD: pause playback, fast forward or rewind. Do any of those things also create a click/pop? The Oppo outputs fairly high voltage over the analog outs, its not impossible that its a poor match for your amp. All this stuff is alchemy, not science, and strange things happen for no reason. The fact than a different brand player does not do this means very little, since it could have 50% of the output voltage as the Oppo. Grounding does sometimes cure these type issues.

Yes, I just tried that and I can hear the click/pop when I fast forward or rewind.
post #11170 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Anybody old enough to remember the "coffin" stereo/consoles of the 60's with the turntable, radio and a ga-zillion speakers (which I still do not understand why they did that) with access via an "open lid" look?

I more than remember them. I have an RCA/Victor "New Vista" Victrola Model VJT50W, which my grandfather bought in 1967. It looks exactly like the one HERE. It only looks like it has a ga-zillion speakers. Behind the front grille (which appears to have 32 openings) it only has a woofer, tweeter, and horn midrange on each side of the cabinet. I could be wrong, but I don't think any of the old consoles actually had more than 2 speakers, with 3 or maybe 4 drivers each.
post #11171 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes, I just tried that and I can hear the click/pop when I fast forward or rewind.

That's a voltage potential on the ground. WHY its there is a separate question, but its caused by a voltage discharge when the signal is interrupted. Do you have a different amp/AVR to connect the Oppo to and test? Sometimes its a faulty amp, sometimes its a faulty source device, sometimes its just a quirk resulting from 2 specific components being connected. If your amp/AVR has multiple analog inputs, try a different one.
post #11172 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 03:48 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:

What do you mean by trying the cheater plug BOTH ways around? I used the cheater plug on the 103 only. Do you want me to try it on the pioneer receiver as well? That would make no since because the pioneer only got 2-prong.
The cheater plugs usually don't have a polarized plug, so you can plug it into the AC socket 2 ways which could make a difference.
post #11173 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's a voltage potential on the ground. WHY its there is a separate question, but its caused by a voltage discharge when the signal is interrupted. Do you have a different amp/AVR to connect the Oppo to and test? Sometimes its a faulty amp, sometimes its a faulty source device, sometimes its just a quirk resulting from 2 specific components being connected. If your amp/AVR has multiple analog inputs, try a different one.

Yes, I even tried a different analog and I still hear the click/pop sound.

No, I do not have another amp or receiver to do further testing.

Let me ask you this. I bought the 103 because I hear it got a nice DAC built in. If I use the HDMI cable for CD listening, am I still using the nice built in DAC?

Or is the built in DAC only for Analog connection?
post #11174 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Quote:

--Bob

Yes, I had all the cables connected to it that I normally use with the 103.

I am in talk with OPPO at this moment.

What I meant was that there two ways a two prong plug can be plugged into a wall socket -- i.e., by rotating that plug 180 degrees. It actually does make a difference for stuff like this. So put the cheater on the end of the 3-prong cord and try it both ways round in the wall socket. If EITHER way around cures the problem, then that says it is a Ground Loop.
--Bob

post #11175 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

. . . .

Let me ask you this. I bought the 103 because I hear it got a nice DAC built in. If I use the HDMI cable for CD listening, am I still using the nice built in DAC?

Or is the built in DAC only for Analog connection?

The DACs in the player are only in use when you are listening to its ANALOG audio outputs. For HDMI Audio, the audio goes to your AVR in Digital form, and it is the DACS in the AVR which convert that to Analog for output.
--Bob

post #11176 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

64 channels? My house isn't big enough for that many speakers.

I'm sure people said that back in the 50's with the Khorns.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #11177 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What I meant was that there two ways a two prong plug can be plugged into a wall socket -- i.e., by rotating that plug 180 degrees. It actually does make a difference for stuff like this. So put the cheater on the end of the 3-prong cord and try it both ways round in the wall socket. If EITHER way around cures the problem, then that says it is a Ground Loop.
--Bob

What country are you from because I am in the US. When you rotate it to 180 degrees, it does not fit. Here are some pictures:

post #11178 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The DACs in the player are only in use when you are listening to its ANALOG audio outputs. For HDMI Audio, the audio goes to your AVR in Digital form, and it is the DACS in the AVR which convert that to Analog for output.
--Bob

That sucks because I was hoping the DAC is also built in for the HDMI connection as well. Listening to CD music by using the HDMI cable just does not sound very good. It just does not sound very detail or clean to me. I prefer the Analog connection because of the built in DAC.

I have the Pioneer Elite SC07 receiver and I don't believe it has a DAC built in.

OPPO just emailed me and told me to use HDMI connection for CD music listening. I may have to use my Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi for CD and SACD music listening. And using the 103 to watch movies.
post #11179 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 05:56 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

That sucks because I was hoping the DAC is also built in for the HDMI connection as well. Listening to CD music by using the HDMI cable just does not sound very good. It just does not sound very detail or clean to me. I prefer the Analog connection because of the built in DAC.
There's no way a DAC could be used in sending audio over an HDMI connection. DAC stands for Digital to Analog Converter. The whole point of the DAC is to convert the signal from digital to analog - once it's been converted to analog you would have to use an ADC (Analog to Digital Converter) to convert it back to digital to send it over HDMI. If you use the analog outputs on the Oppo, you're using the DAC in the Oppo. If you're using one of the digital outputs on the Oppo (including HDMI), you're using the DAC in your receiver.
Quote:

What country are you from because I am in the US. When you rotate it to 180 degrees, it does not fit.
The cheater plugs I've used in the past haven't been polarized (one prong wider than the other), so it's possible to rotate them 180 degrees and try them plugged in both ways. And yes, I'm in the US, as is Bob.
post #11180 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

There's no way a DAC could be used in sending audio over an HDMI connection. DAC stands for Digital to Analog Converter. The whole point of the DAC is to convert the signal from digital to analog - once it's been converted to analog you would have to use an ADC (Analog to Digital Converter) to convert it back to digital to send it over HDMI. If you use the analog outputs on the Oppo, you're using the DAC in the Oppo. If you're using one of the digital outputs on the Oppo (including HDMI), you're using the DAC in your receiver.

The cheater plugs I've used in the past haven't been polarized (one prong wider than the other), so it's possible to rotate them 180 degrees and try them plugged in both ways. And yes, I'm in the US, as is Bob.

You are using technical terms that I am not understanding. But I believe my Pioneer Elite SC07 does not have a DAC built in. I just went through the user manual and did not see a DAC buit in.
post #11181 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

You are using technical terms that I am not understanding. But I believe my Pioneer Elite SC07 does not have a DAC built in. I just went through the user manual and did not see a DAC buit in.

Ok, let's try this a different way.

Anything you listen to that is not a cassette tape or vinyl is digital content.

Speakers output analog content - we hear and see in "analog" so to speak.

To get the digital content into our analog world, you need a DAC - a digital-analog convertor.

RCA is a conduit for sending an analog signal, as are speaker cables.

HDMI is a conduit for sending a digital signal - this is why you cannot use the DAC in the OPPO over HDMI through your receiver.

You connect your receiver to your speakers using speaker cables, right? (Those cables with banana plug ends, spade ends, or perhaps just bare wire connections). Therefore, you must use a DAC to convert that digital signal to analog, and that DAC is in your receiver (but perhaps it's not "very good", which is why there is no mention of it in the manual.

CD players have DACs. iPods have DACs. Receivers have DACs. Anything that produces a sound you can hear must have a DAC so that you can hear the digital content you send through.

Therefore, if any device you have accepts a digital signal (HDMI, Toslink, S/PDIF, USB etc.), that signal must pass through a DAC inside that device (or another further down the chain) so that you can hear it.

Does that help?

post #11182 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

I have the Pioneer Elite SC07 receiver and I don't believe it has a DAC built in.

OPPO just emailed me and told me to use HDMI connection for CD music listening. I may have to use my Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi for CD and SACD music listening. And using the 103 to watch movies.

It has several of them.  If it has digital inputs and analog outputs, it must have Digital-to-Analog Converters.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #11183 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 06:27 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalnomad View Post

You connect your receiver to your speakers using RCA cables, right?
Hopefully, he's using speaker cables - possibly with banana plugs or spade connectors on the ends. wink.gif
post #11184 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 06:29 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Hopefully, he's using speaker cables - possibly with banana plugs or spade connectors on the ends. wink.gif

Sorry yes, you are correct. I wasn't thinking. Editing now :)

post #11185 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
A while back a poster mentioned audio drops from a few blu's one being the ever so popular problem child "Total Recall "Well happy to report back just finished viewing it threw my 103 & Integra DHC 80.3 with no issues what so ever . My 103 was set to bitstream . My Integra set to through letting the 103 do the processing. Hopefully that will help those having issues narrowing it down to there AVR or Prepro having issues with that particular movie not the 103 .
KC-Technerd likes this.

My current HT
post #11186 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your Pioneer SC-07 has 192 kHz / 24-bit Wolfson WM8740 DACs built in. They are listed on the overview, specifications, and product brochure on the Pioneer website page for your receiver at: Pioneer SC-07. Your user manual does not specifically refer to DAC, and they are often not specifically referred to in owners manuals.

Any audio receiver that has digital audio input (HDMI, Optical, Co-axial, etc.) must have a DAC (meaning Digital to Analog Converter) in order to convert the digital audio signal into analog.
post #11187 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quick reality check:
When you use the stereo analog inputs to your AVR, its re-digitizing the audio and then using its own DAC to reconvert the audio again, so you're still not really using the player's DAC. If HDMI really sounds that much different, I'd suspect that you have a setup issue in the AVR that's applying some unwanted processing on the HDMI input.
post #11188 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quick reality check:
When you use the stereo analog inputs to your AVR, its re-digitizing the audio and then using its own DAC to reconvert the audio again, so you're still not really using the player's DAC. If HDMI really sounds that much different, I'd suspect that you have a setup issue in the AVR that's applying some unwanted processing on the HDMI input.

His AVR has a pure direct mode where no digital processing is applied to analog inputs. (It also has 7.1 analog input.) I can't tell for certain by what is said in the manual, but in that pure direct mode the receiver may not be re-digitizing the audio. Of course in all other modes it would be re-digitizing the audio, as you said.
post #11189 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 09:00 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5094 View Post

I just attempted to use the Cinemanow app on the 103. The 103 shows up as a device on my account online but when I look at my library on the 103 it shows nothing there. On the computer all the library and the device shows so they are definitely on the same account. Cinemanow help had me try several things but nothing worked. Anyone else had this problem with the 103 and Cinemanow. I live in the US so I know it isn't a country problem. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Anyone??

post #11190 of 18295 Old 08-21-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5094 View Post

Anyone??

Sorry, I only have one item in my Cinemanow library, and it works fine on my BDP-103. I can't think of anything to suggest.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page