Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 379 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 460Likes

Old 08-27-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreem85 View Post

Ok, s here is an update on my situation. I reset my Denon AVR and performed an audessey calibration. Reassigned all inputs. Changed to a split/AV setup for the BDP-103, turned off all smooth motion.

During the tear down of my setup to rebuild it, I noticed that I was not plugged into the TV's ARC HDMI port. It was actually into HDMI 1, ARC is on HDMI 3. So now the AVR is on HDMI 3, and the OPPO is putting video to the TV via HDMI 1. With this setup I noticed that everything was perfectly in sync when I started up my nemesis movie Alice in Wonderland. BUT, the oppo was set to +200 audio processing delay. I decided this was too much even though it was working, as someone mentioned here that its not possible to get the audio ahead of e video with these settings. So I put it to 0 ms and things were slightly out of sync, so I began my adjustment on the oppo... The magic number I was most comfortable with was +110 ms. I know that may seem a little high to some but it works for me.

Also, ske learning for us with the F8000, is that I no longer see an audio delay whether smooth motion was on or off (which is what samsung intended I'd imagine). But I like it off so it'll stay that way.

If I've missed anything please let me know, I will comment, but as for now my dilemma is solved and more troubleshooting and duplicating will be done to ensure that things are the way I want them!

+110 sounds like a good number to me. I have +85 on mine. If you never again notice any lip sync issues, then it is a perfect number.

I'm not sure I'm fully understanding what you meant here:
Quote:
Also, ske learning for us with the F8000, is that I no longer see an audio delay whether smooth motion was on or off (which is what samsung intended I'd imagine).

My suspicion is that the smooth motion made the difference, but since you also changed the HDMI to the ARC input on your TV at the same time, that could have made the difference too. It is hard to be sure what fixed an issue unless you isolate each individual step and test after each one. Are you using the ARC? I don't have one on my TV so I'm optical back out of the TV for audio from it (which I can't entirely sync because the audio is too delayed). If you decide to keep the +110 delay on the Oppo you'll need to make sure to reset that anytime that you do a firmware update (as the last recommended step of the firmware update will reset the delay to zero). If you set the Oppo to zero, and set the Denon to +110 you should get the same results, and then not have to worry about resetting the Oppo to +110 each time after you do a firmware update. I'm assuming of course that you'll probably be doing more firmware updates on the Oppo than the Denon.

Oppo's firmware release notes that I copied stated something about not being able to get audio ahead of video. I believe they are referring to audio being ahead of video at the point of the Oppo's output. That doesn't mean that your TV can't delay the video enough that audio winds up ahead of video. I think Bill Pariseau mentioned that audio shouldn't be ahead of video at a +200ms setting unless something was seriously wrong, so that may be what you were referring to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofwar1600 View Post

Nice!
How much did the mod cost?
Did you notice any difference in the sound quality?
Im quite interested in comparing the 103 as a pre/pro to a decent $ 1000 avr ..
Cheers

It costs $500.00

I don't use the analog out from Oppo-103. I bitstream to my Denon 3808.

I'm planing to upgrade my AVR to a better AVR in 2014 (Maybe another denon with AL32) or a new surround processor. Because of my setup, I cannot comment on the analog part of Oppo-103.

But I can tell you that their modification helps with jitter and noise reduction. And yes, if you ask Jena labs to install analog audio filters for you (so you can use its analog output as a pre-amp), your unit will easily beat a much more expensive pre-amp/AVR than just a $1000.00 one(of course, without the room correction).

Oppo-103 is already a fantastic player without any modifications. But if you add those mods to it, your player will be elevated to a much higher level of performance.
spawnofwar1600 likes this.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey everyone, I'm curious if there is a "super-moderator" for AVS? I tried to detail a solution that the OPPO provided for me in regards to an ATT Uverse issue within a thread specifically for Uverse customers. One of their moderators said I was trying to promote the OPPO and issued a warning for my supposed "promotion" (and deleted my post). While I am very happy with my OPPO and would recommend it to friends and family, I was not promoting the OPPO only detailing the solution that worked for me (which in my particular case happens to use an OPPO - I specifically mentioned that other devices might work as well). I was simply trying to help others who have the same issue, it was not intended to be anything other than that. I believe I was unfairly targeted and would like to bring this to the attention of someone who can review this. I realize this is a bit off topic and am sorry for intruding with something slightly off topic but I am left wondering if there is some bias against OPPO on AVS (or some history that I am not aware) and many of you seem extremely knowledgeable with long time experience posting on these forums.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:54 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffeen View Post

Hey everyone, I'm curious if there is a "super-moderator" for AVS? I tried to detail a solution that the OPPO provided for me in regards to an ATT Uverse issue within a thread specifically for Uverse customers. One of their moderators said I was trying to promote the OPPO and issued a warning for my supposed "promotion" (and deleted my post). While I am very happy with my OPPO and would recommend it to friends and family, I was not promoting the OPPO only detailing the solution that worked for me (which in my particular case happens to use an OPPO - I specifically mentioned that other devices might work as well). I was simply trying to help others who have the same issue, it was not intended to be anything other than that. I believe I was unfairly targeted and would like to bring this to the attention of someone who can review this. I realize this is a bit off topic and am sorry for intruding with something slightly off topic but I am left wondering if there is some bias against OPPO on AVS (or some history that I am not aware) and many of you seem extremely knowledgeable with long time experience posting on these forums.

Use the red flag at the bottom left of any post to contact the moderators.

There is no sign of anti-OPPO sentiment at AVSForum.

Technical Q&A only here, please.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 08-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hi,

I was wondering how good the compression noise reduction is when running a Comcast HD box through the 103.. Will it make a noticeable worthwhile difference in cleaning up a SD/HD cable source, or only a minor one.... Can it upconvert all SD/HD Comcast Channels to 1080P? How would you compare the 103 to a DVDO Edge?
Old 08-27-2013, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My Oppo 103 is not recognizing my external hd. It is a 2tb iomega external hd. I use only Macs and just bought it to use to store media on. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help smile.gif

Robin
Old 08-27-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by z06gal View Post

My Oppo 103 is not recognizing my external hd. It is a 2tb iomega external hd. I use only Macs and just bought it to use to store media on. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help smile.gif

Robin

How is it formatted?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Old 08-27-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

How is it formatted?

I just found it in the manual. It has to be formatted in either fat32 or ntfs. smile.gif
Old 08-27-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post

Hi,

I was wondering how good the compression noise reduction is when running a Comcast HD box through the 103.. Will it make a noticeable worthwhile difference in cleaning up a SD/HD cable source, or only a minor one.... Can it upconvert all SD/HD Comcast Channels to 1080P? How would you compare the 103 to a DVDO Edge?

I use the 103 for AT&T Uverse and it up converts to anything you want (I use 1080p). I've found that the AV is greatly improved via the OPPO. I can't comment on other devices, but my experience with the OPPO has been no less than superb.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

How is it formatted?

Mac OS Extended
Old 08-27-2013, 09:02 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofwar1600 View Post

Nice!
How much did the mod cost?
Did you notice any difference in the sound quality?
Im quite interested in comparing the 103 as a pre/pro to a decent $ 1000 avr ..
Cheers

As a pre pro the stock 103 works great sound and video wise. I think it sounds great through the audio outs. Spend the extra money on amplification and speakers.

Depending on who else is using it you should probably use a good universal remote. My harmony 880 works well enough for my girlfriend to watch cable or play a disc. She's not tech savvy and the concept of browsing my external HDD for movies and music or streaming service is a little beyond her with the remote not set up specifically for each task.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:57 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post

Hi,

Or how about the ISCAN DUO?
Old 08-28-2013, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

I just found it in the manual. It has to be formatted in either fat32 or ntfs. smile.gif
You can also use exFAT (introduced with firmware 0422)... Which is supported by new Mac and Windows operating systems wink.gif

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 08-28-2013, 05:04 AM

SeeMoreDigital,

Excellent! I will format today. I have some of my Blu-ray Discs backed up to it so fat32 is out. Thanks again wink.gif
Old 08-28-2013, 08:23 AM

Hi all,

Does the Wireless adapter included work in both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? It is a 802.11n so I suppose yes. I have a dual band router (Asus RT-N66U) and I like to set up my network so that all PC/Apple devices use 2.4GHz while the BDP103 uses 5GHz to minimize bandwidth/interference risk. However, the BDP103 only found the SSID with 2.4GHz. Can I specify what band the wireless adapter work? If yes, how? TIA.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 114
The Oppos only use 2.4GHz. There is no way to get them to use the 5GHz band.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenmad899 View Post

Hi all,

Does the Wireless adapter included work in both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? It is a 802.11n so I suppose yes. I have a dual band router (Asus RT-N66U) and I like to set up my network so that all PC/Apple devices use 2.4GHz while the BDP103 uses 5GHz to minimize bandwidth/interference risk. However, the BDP103 only found the SSID with 2.4GHz. Can I specify what band the wireless adapter work? If yes, how? TIA.

I have the same router but unfortunately the 103 only uses the 2.4 radio. And no you most likely will not be able to find a dongle that will work on the 5.0 band because the 103 would not have the drivers for it.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
Old 08-28-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:

Hi all,

User Manual Page 5: "USB Wireless-N Adapter (up to 150Mbps, 802.11b/g/n compatible, 2.4GHz)"

Page 20: "The wireless adaptor included in the BDP-103 package has been pre-configured to work with your player. It is compatible with 802.11B, G, and N (2.4GHz) wireless networks."

So I believe the answer is no.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:

Mac OS Extended

On page 40 of the manual, it says:  Supported USB drives can be formatted with the FAT (File Allocation Table), FAT32 or NTFS

(New Technology File System) file system.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Old 08-28-2013, 08:52 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

The Oppos only use 2.4GHz. There is no way to get them to use the 5GHz band.
Other than with a wireless bridge connected to the Oppo's network port.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Support for ExFAT file system was added in the 0422 firmware release.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

In the latest firmware, I recommend leaving Sharpness at 0 for the most accurate rendering.
--Bob

Bob - Do you mean the latest "released" firmware or are you referring to the current Beta release? I apologize if you answered this question here somewhere already and I just didn't see it.

Received my 103 yesterday and was extremely pleased with the performance and features it offers. The only minor issue I noted was an apparent "softness" to the picture (using HDMI1) on my JVC RS1x (106" diagonal, 16:9 screen) as compared with my previous player. The display is fully calibrated for PQ and gray scale (using a VideoEQ PRO.) As much as I cringe to admit it, I found setting the sharpness control to "1" to provide a much sharper picture without adding any detectable artifacts or ringing. I'll have to break out the test disc tonight and play with it some more, didn't get a chance to do that last night, too many features to get working and enjoy!
Old 08-28-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

User Manual Page 5: "USB Wireless-N Adapter (up to 150Mbps, 802.11b/g/n compatible, 2.4GHz)"

Page 20: "The wireless adaptor included in the BDP-103 package has been pre-configured to work with your player. It is compatible with 802.11B, G, and N (2.4GHz) wireless networks."

So I believe the answer is no.
Thanks for the reply. Looks like I missed out that part of manual.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:16 AM

One more question: if I attach the external HDD via USB, BDP103 can play the mkv/avi/etc video clips flawlessly. However, if I connects through wireless network (NAS), the screen will turn completely green but the audio still plays fine. What could go wrong here?
Old 08-28-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I missed out that part of manual.

You can still do it, but like gsr mentioned, you would have to set up a wireless bridge working at 5GHz, connected to the ethernet port.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:06 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:

One more question: if I attach the external HDD via USB, BDP103 can play the mkv/avi/etc video clips flawlessly. However, if I connects through wireless network (NAS), the screen will turn completely green but the audio still plays fine. What could go wrong here?

You are testing the same files both ways?

Are you accessing the NAS through SMB or a DLNA server? If the latter, do you know what kind?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 08-28-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

However, if I connects through wireless network (NAS), the screen will turn completely green but the audio still plays fine. What could go wrong here?
Strange... Do you see a green screen with every file you play or just a few?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 08-28-2013, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalnomad View Post

For those on Windows using SMB and NTFS formatting, this may be a nice (temporary) work around for dealing with playlists.

The newest version of Foobar2000 has the built-in ability to copy files as Hard Links to a directory of your choosing. This doesn't duplicate the file, but rather links the target back to the original file, thus saving storage space. During this process, you can rename the link based on a pattern.

(Made some edits thanks to Flave)
  1. Load your playlist into Foobar.
  2. Select all items in the playlist, right-click, select File Operations-->Copy to... (If you have saved previous Copy operations the tree will be -->Copy-->...)
  3. In the copy dialog, select the "Link" radio button in the first row labeled "Operation type:"
  4. Select the directory you wish to copy the links to under "Destination Folder". I have created a structure like \Playlists\[PlaylistName]
  5. To insure your files stay in the playlist order prefix any naming pattern you choose with %list_index%. For example, to name my links by [Playlist Position]. [Artist] - [Title] (e.g. "01. Billy Joel - Piano Man"). I would use the following naming pattern: %list_index%. %artist% - %title%
  6. Make sure the "Copy entire source folder content" checkbox is unchecked.
  7. Click Run.

You will now have a folder containing links to the original files, renamed to include the playlist position at the front to insure your files appear in the folder in the same order as that of the playlist. You can set OPPO to default play-order to play the directory in the order of the playlist/folder, otherwise you can set it to Shuffle/Random to let it do its own thing.

Full details on how you can use naming patterns to rename your files when copying can be found here.

The latest version of Foobar2000 (1.2.4 as of this post) can be found here.

NOTE: Editing the files from the links will edit the original files! Deleting the links, however, will not touch the original data.

I hope this helps! Sorry for no screen caps.

Do these steps work for creating playlists on a connected USB device?
Old 08-28-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Other than with a wireless bridge connected to the Oppo's network port.

Are you sure that delivers 5 GHz?

Old 08-28-2013, 11:10 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Are you sure that delivers 5 GHz?
If you use a wireless bridge that supports 5 GHz, then yes. A wireless bridge would completely bypass the Oppo's USB wireless network dongle and connect to the Oppo via the Oppo's ethernet jack. At that point, as far as the Oppo is concerned you would be using a wired network. It would be up to the wireless bridge to handle the wireless connection. I'm not recommending a specific product as I haven't used a wireless bridge in a long time, but a Google search should turn up plenty of options..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc