post #11341 of 17977 Old 08-27-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

Really though, what difference does it make to output the nearest to source resolution when your video display has to re-scale it anyway, UNLESS your video display does a better job of re-scaling than the Oppo does (or you have an outboard de-interlacer/scaler that is better than the Oppo)?
480, 576, 720 and 1080 refers to the pixel heights not the pixel widths. And given Oppo have provided us with the 'source direct' option on their player, it should work correctly so that the end user can choose between the Oppo or the TV to up-scale wink.gif

EDIT: As a side note. Thankfully firmware 0808B has corrected the issue with 720x576p25/50 sources being output at 576i instead of 576p. But for some reason it was not stated in the release notes eek.gif

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11342 of 17977 Old 08-27-2013, 01:21 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

480, 576, 720 and 1080 refers to the pixel heights not the pixel widths. And given Oppo have provided us with the 'source direct' option on their player, it should work correctly so that the end user can choose between the Oppo or the TV to up-scale wink.gif

EDIT: As a side note. Thankfully firmware 0808B has corrected the issue with 720x576p25/50 sources being output at 576i instead of 576p. But for some reason it was not stated in the release notes eek.gif

There are only a few video signals defined in the standard. Source Direct or no, you can't output arbitrary dimensions. The TV wouldn't know what to do with them. Something has to give.

-Bill
KC-Technerd likes this.
post #11343 of 17977 Old 08-27-2013, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Tony,

Best to turn the lip sync OFF first, unless you are completely sure that your TV supports it. It shouldn't have any effect at all if it's not supported, but there is always the possibility that it is doing something odd when it isn't receiving valid data from the TV. I also noticed in your AVR manual that the manual adjustment range for audio delay is limited when the automatic lip sync feature is turned on. I suspect that once the clear motion is off, you'll find the sync with 24p on or off will be very close to, if not exactly the same.

Your setting probably won't be the same, but with my setup I had to set my AVR to 85ms delay to get it in sync with the video. So I would expect that even with clear motion off, you'll need some delay on the AVR to get the A/V sync correct. I never use motion enhancement on 24p material (and rarely on anything else) because it makes it look very different than viewing a film in the theater. It would be nice if all the equipment did automatic A/V sync.

Brett

Ok, s here is an update on my situation. I reset my Denon AVR and performed an audessey calibration. Reassigned all inputs. Changed to a split/AV setup for the BDP-103, turned off all smooth motion.

During the tear down of my setup to rebuild it, I noticed that I was not plugged into the TV's ARC HDMI port. It was actually into HDMI 1, ARC is on HDMI 3. So now the AVR is on HDMI 3, and the OPPO is putting video to the TV via HDMI 1. With this setup I noticed that everything was perfectly in sync when I started up my nemesis movie Alice in Wonderland. BUT, the oppo was set to +200 audio processing delay. I decided this was too much even though it was working, as someone mentioned here that its not possible to get the audio ahead of e video with these settings. So I put it to 0 ms and things were slightly out of sync, so I began my adjustment on the oppo... The magic number I was most comfortable with was +110 ms. I know that may seem a little high to some but it works for me.

Also, ske learning for us with the F8000, is that I no longer see an audio delay whether smooth motion was on or off (which is what samsung intended I'd imagine). But I like it off so it'll stay that way.

If I've missed anything please let me know, I will comment, but as for now my dilemma is solved and more troubleshooting and duplicating will be done to ensure that things are the way I want them!
post #11344 of 17977 Old 08-27-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

Certainly. I can't disagree with that. And if I said anything to imply that 480, 576, 720, or 1080 were horizontal resolution numbers, that was not my intent. The 1024 in your 1024x576 is a horizontal resolution number.

I may be mistaken, but I don't believe that 1024x576 is a valid PAL resolution that can be delivered across HDMI to a television unless it is scaled to something else first. That requires it to be scaled to 720x576 (a valid PAL resolution) or 1280x720 (a valid HD resolution), or another valid television resolution. So the Oppo must scale it, and apparently the engineers opted for scaling to the next highest resolution rather than the next lower when the exact resolution can't be output.

I'm being more technical, but it boils down to what wmcclain said above.
post #11345 of 17977 Old 08-27-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

There are only a few video signals defined in the standard. Source Direct or no, you can't output arbitrary dimensions. The TV wouldn't know what to do with them. Something has to give.

-Bill
Like I mentioned earlier, Oppo has now corrected the issue with 720x576p25/50 sources being output at 576i instead of 576p. So much so it will output 'cropped' height pixel encodes correctly now too. Meaning 'non-square' encodes generated at 720x416, 720x432, 720x512, 720x554 etc are output at the correct aspect ratio (ie: 1024 pixels wide), provided that the correct level of aspect ratio signalling is embedded within the video stream.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #11346 of 17977 Old 08-27-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreem85 View Post

Ok, s here is an update on my situation. I reset my Denon AVR and performed an audessey calibration. Reassigned all inputs. Changed to a split/AV setup for the BDP-103, turned off all smooth motion.

During the tear down of my setup to rebuild it, I noticed that I was not plugged into the TV's ARC HDMI port. It was actually into HDMI 1, ARC is on HDMI 3. So now the AVR is on HDMI 3, and the OPPO is putting video to the TV via HDMI 1. With this setup I noticed that everything was perfectly in sync when I started up my nemesis movie Alice in Wonderland. BUT, the oppo was set to +200 audio processing delay. I decided this was too much even though it was working, as someone mentioned here that its not possible to get the audio ahead of e video with these settings. So I put it to 0 ms and things were slightly out of sync, so I began my adjustment on the oppo... The magic number I was most comfortable with was +110 ms. I know that may seem a little high to some but it works for me.

Also, ske learning for us with the F8000, is that I no longer see an audio delay whether smooth motion was on or off (which is what samsung intended I'd imagine). But I like it off so it'll stay that way.

If I've missed anything please let me know, I will comment, but as for now my dilemma is solved and more troubleshooting and duplicating will be done to ensure that things are the way I want them!

+110 sounds like a good number to me. I have +85 on mine. If you never again notice any lip sync issues, then it is a perfect number.

I'm not sure I'm fully understanding what you meant here:
Quote:
Also, ske learning for us with the F8000, is that I no longer see an audio delay whether smooth motion was on or off (which is what samsung intended I'd imagine).

My suspicion is that the smooth motion made the difference, but since you also changed the HDMI to the ARC input on your TV at the same time, that could have made the difference too. It is hard to be sure what fixed an issue unless you isolate each individual step and test after each one. Are you using the ARC? I don't have one on my TV so I'm optical back out of the TV for audio from it (which I can't entirely sync because the audio is too delayed). If you decide to keep the +110 delay on the Oppo you'll need to make sure to reset that anytime that you do a firmware update (as the last recommended step of the firmware update will reset the delay to zero). If you set the Oppo to zero, and set the Denon to +110 you should get the same results, and then not have to worry about resetting the Oppo to +110 each time after you do a firmware update. I'm assuming of course that you'll probably be doing more firmware updates on the Oppo than the Denon.

Oppo's firmware release notes that I copied stated something about not being able to get audio ahead of video. I believe they are referring to audio being ahead of video at the point of the Oppo's output. That doesn't mean that your TV can't delay the video enough that audio winds up ahead of video. I think Bill Pariseau mentioned that audio shouldn't be ahead of video at a +200ms setting unless something was seriously wrong, so that may be what you were referring to.
post #11347 of 17977 Old 08-27-2013, 04:50 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofwar1600 View Post

Nice!
How much did the mod cost?
Did you notice any difference in the sound quality?
Im quite interested in comparing the 103 as a pre/pro to a decent $ 1000 avr ..
Cheers

It costs $500.00

I don't use the analog out from Oppo-103. I bitstream to my Denon 3808.

I'm planing to upgrade my AVR to a better AVR in 2014 (Maybe another denon with AL32) or a new surround processor. Because of my setup, I cannot comment on the analog part of Oppo-103.

But I can tell you that their modification helps with jitter and noise reduction. And yes, if you ask Jena labs to install analog audio filters for you (so you can use its analog output as a pre-amp), your unit will easily beat a much more expensive pre-amp/AVR than just a $1000.00 one(of course, without the room correction).

Oppo-103 is already a fantastic player without any modifications. But if you add those mods to it, your player will be elevated to a much higher level of performance.
spawnofwar1600 likes this.
post #11348 of 17977 Old 08-27-2013, 06:22 PM

Liked: 12
Hey everyone, I'm curious if there is a "super-moderator" for AVS? I tried to detail a solution that the OPPO provided for me in regards to an ATT Uverse issue within a thread specifically for Uverse customers. One of their moderators said I was trying to promote the OPPO and issued a warning for my supposed "promotion" (and deleted my post). While I am very happy with my OPPO and would recommend it to friends and family, I was not promoting the OPPO only detailing the solution that worked for me (which in my particular case happens to use an OPPO - I specifically mentioned that other devices might work as well). I was simply trying to help others who have the same issue, it was not intended to be anything other than that. I believe I was unfairly targeted and would like to bring this to the attention of someone who can review this. I realize this is a bit off topic and am sorry for intruding with something slightly off topic but I am left wondering if there is some bias against OPPO on AVS (or some history that I am not aware) and many of you seem extremely knowledgeable with long time experience posting on these forums.
post #11349 of 17977 Old 08-27-2013, 06:54 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffeen View Post

Hey everyone, I'm curious if there is a "super-moderator" for AVS? I tried to detail a solution that the OPPO provided for me in regards to an ATT Uverse issue within a thread specifically for Uverse customers. One of their moderators said I was trying to promote the OPPO and issued a warning for my supposed "promotion" (and deleted my post). While I am very happy with my OPPO and would recommend it to friends and family, I was not promoting the OPPO only detailing the solution that worked for me (which in my particular case happens to use an OPPO - I specifically mentioned that other devices might work as well). I was simply trying to help others who have the same issue, it was not intended to be anything other than that. I believe I was unfairly targeted and would like to bring this to the attention of someone who can review this. I realize this is a bit off topic and am sorry for intruding with something slightly off topic but I am left wondering if there is some bias against OPPO on AVS (or some history that I am not aware) and many of you seem extremely knowledgeable with long time experience posting on these forums.

Use the red flag at the bottom left of any post to contact the moderators.

There is no sign of anti-OPPO sentiment at AVSForum.

Technical Q&A only here, please.

-Bill
post #11350 of 17977 Old 08-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi,

I was wondering how good the compression noise reduction is when running a Comcast HD box through the 103.. Will it make a noticeable worthwhile difference in cleaning up a SD/HD cable source, or only a minor one.... Can it upconvert all SD/HD Comcast Channels to 1080P? How would you compare the 103 to a DVDO Edge?
post #11351 of 17977 Old 08-27-2013, 08:14 PM

Liked: 10
My Oppo 103 is not recognizing my external hd. It is a 2tb iomega external hd. I use only Macs and just bought it to use to store media on. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help smile.gif

Robin
post #11352 of 17977 Old 08-27-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by z06gal View Post

My Oppo 103 is not recognizing my external hd. It is a 2tb iomega external hd. I use only Macs and just bought it to use to store media on. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help smile.gif

Robin

How is it formatted?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #11353 of 17977 Old 08-27-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

How is it formatted?

I just found it in the manual. It has to be formatted in either fat32 or ntfs. smile.gif
post #11354 of 17977 Old 08-27-2013, 08:51 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post

Hi,

I was wondering how good the compression noise reduction is when running a Comcast HD box through the 103.. Will it make a noticeable worthwhile difference in cleaning up a SD/HD cable source, or only a minor one.... Can it upconvert all SD/HD Comcast Channels to 1080P? How would you compare the 103 to a DVDO Edge?

I use the 103 for AT&T Uverse and it up converts to anything you want (I use 1080p). I've found that the AV is greatly improved via the OPPO. I can't comment on other devices, but my experience with the OPPO has been no less than superb.
post #11355 of 17977 Old 08-27-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

How is it formatted?

Mac OS Extended
post #11356 of 17977 Old 08-27-2013, 09:02 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofwar1600 View Post

Nice!
How much did the mod cost?
Did you notice any difference in the sound quality?
Im quite interested in comparing the 103 as a pre/pro to a decent $ 1000 avr ..
Cheers

As a pre pro the stock 103 works great sound and video wise. I think it sounds great through the audio outs. Spend the extra money on amplification and speakers.

Depending on who else is using it you should probably use a good universal remote. My harmony 880 works well enough for my girlfriend to watch cable or play a disc. She's not tech savvy and the concept of browsing my external HDD for movies and music or streaming service is a little beyond her with the remote not set up specifically for each task.
post #11357 of 17977 Old 08-27-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post

Hi,

Or how about the ISCAN DUO?
post #11358 of 17977 Old 08-28-2013, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just found it in the manual. It has to be formatted in either fat32 or ntfs. smile.gif
You can also use exFAT (introduced with firmware 0422)... Which is supported by new Mac and Windows operating systems wink.gif

post #11359 of 17977 Old 08-28-2013, 05:04 AM

SeeMoreDigital,

Excellent! I will format today. I have some of my Blu-ray Discs backed up to it so fat32 is out. Thanks again wink.gif
post #11360 of 17977 Old 08-28-2013, 08:23 AM

Hi all,

Does the Wireless adapter included work in both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? It is a 802.11n so I suppose yes. I have a dual band router (Asus RT-N66U) and I like to set up my network so that all PC/Apple devices use 2.4GHz while the BDP103 uses 5GHz to minimize bandwidth/interference risk. However, the BDP103 only found the SSID with 2.4GHz. Can I specify what band the wireless adapter work? If yes, how? TIA.
post #11361 of 17977 Old 08-28-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
The Oppos only use 2.4GHz. There is no way to get them to use the 5GHz band.

post #11362 of 17977 Old 08-28-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenmad899 View Post

Hi all,

Does the Wireless adapter included work in both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? It is a 802.11n so I suppose yes. I have a dual band router (Asus RT-N66U) and I like to set up my network so that all PC/Apple devices use 2.4GHz while the BDP103 uses 5GHz to minimize bandwidth/interference risk. However, the BDP103 only found the SSID with 2.4GHz. Can I specify what band the wireless adapter work? If yes, how? TIA.

I have the same router but unfortunately the 103 only uses the 2.4 radio. And no you most likely will not be able to find a dongle that will work on the 5.0 band because the 103 would not have the drivers for it.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #11363 of 17977 Old 08-28-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi all,

User Manual Page 5: "USB Wireless-N Adapter (up to 150Mbps, 802.11b/g/n compatible, 2.4GHz)"

Page 20: "The wireless adaptor included in the BDP-103 package has been pre-configured to work with your player. It is compatible with 802.11B, G, and N (2.4GHz) wireless networks."

So I believe the answer is no.
post #11364 of 17977 Old 08-28-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:

Mac OS Extended

On page 40 of the manual, it says:  Supported USB drives can be formatted with the FAT (File Allocation Table), FAT32 or NTFS

(New Technology File System) file system.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #11365 of 17977 Old 08-28-2013, 08:52 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

The Oppos only use 2.4GHz. There is no way to get them to use the 5GHz band.
Other than with a wireless bridge connected to the Oppo's network port.
post #11366 of 17977 Old 08-28-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Support for ExFAT file system was added in the 0422 firmware release.
post #11367 of 17977 Old 08-28-2013, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

In the latest firmware, I recommend leaving Sharpness at 0 for the most accurate rendering.
--Bob

Bob - Do you mean the latest "released" firmware or are you referring to the current Beta release? I apologize if you answered this question here somewhere already and I just didn't see it.

Received my 103 yesterday and was extremely pleased with the performance and features it offers. The only minor issue I noted was an apparent "softness" to the picture (using HDMI1) on my JVC RS1x (106" diagonal, 16:9 screen) as compared with my previous player. The display is fully calibrated for PQ and gray scale (using a VideoEQ PRO.) As much as I cringe to admit it, I found setting the sharpness control to "1" to provide a much sharper picture without adding any detectable artifacts or ringing. I'll have to break out the test disc tonight and play with it some more, didn't get a chance to do that last night, too many features to get working and enjoy!
post #11368 of 17977 Old 08-28-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:

User Manual Page 5: "USB Wireless-N Adapter (up to 150Mbps, 802.11b/g/n compatible, 2.4GHz)"

Page 20: "The wireless adaptor included in the BDP-103 package has been pre-configured to work with your player. It is compatible with 802.11B, G, and N (2.4GHz) wireless networks."

So I believe the answer is no.
Thanks for the reply. Looks like I missed out that part of manual.
post #11369 of 17977 Old 08-28-2013, 09:16 AM

One more question: if I attach the external HDD via USB, BDP103 can play the mkv/avi/etc video clips flawlessly. However, if I connects through wireless network (NAS), the screen will turn completely green but the audio still plays fine. What could go wrong here?
post #11370 of 17977 Old 08-28-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I missed out that part of manual.

You can still do it, but like gsr mentioned, you would have to set up a wireless bridge working at 5GHz, connected to the ethernet port.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page