Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 381 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 445Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2013, 12:30 PM
Member
 
sal9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Denver
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I've been following this forum for some time and never seen a discussion of the problem that I am having with my BDP 103.

I have contacted OPPO customer support and they have replaced my unit with another that has the same problem as the original that is set out below.

When the player is directly connected (no intermediate devices of any kind) to the TV (Panasonic TH50PZ700U) from HDMI-1 I get random audio only drop outs that last anywhere from a couple of seconds to ten seconds. When I replay the section of the disc (blu ray and dvd) the audio is always there. I have followed all of OPPOs instructions. I am on my third HDMI cable (two of which they supplied), deep color is off, HDMI is set LPCM there are no firmware upgrades for my TV. The problem did not exist until sometime this summer. I believe it may have begun after the May firmware upgrade. I know it did not exist prior. Since you can't downgrade to previous firmware there is no way for me to be certain that this is the problem; however, while the unit was in transit to and from OPPO I reconnected my BDP83 and there were NO audio dropouts. When I got the replacement 103 and connected it, the dropouts began again almost at once.

After trying all the suggestions that I have found on this forum, I was ready to give up and stop using the 103. As a final attempt I reset the factory settings, set HDMI audio to LPCM and switched to the HDMI2 output, leaving the HDMI 1 output unconnected. The audio dropouts stopped completely. To verify that the problem was still there, I switched back to HDMI 1 and the problem was back instantly. I am now using HDMI 2 with no problems but it bothers me that I cannot get the player to work the way it is supposed to.

The people at OPPO always answer my emails, but, honestly, they give me the impression that they doubt my account of what is occurring. They keep suggesting the same thing over and over and asking questions that I have already answered. It's disappointing. I am open to any suggestions.
sal9000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-29-2013, 01:57 PM
Senior Member
 
AndrewFG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I think you may be ignoring the time the processing in the TV actually takes once it has 2 frames in the buffer and that's definitely going to differ in TV's from different brands or within the same brand but with different amounts of video processing.

No I did not ignore that...

...but I do think it is negligible...

... so indeed I do think it can be ignored... smile.gif

The input pipeline is filled at 24 frames per second (41.666 mSec), whereas output pipeline is much faster: typically from 200 fps (5 mSec) up to 800 fps (1.25 mSec) in the case of the Sony.

For example, in the case of the Sony, with a delay of 2 input frames plus 1 output frame, the total delay would be (2 x 41.666) + (1 x 1.25) and - as engineering professors tend to say - the second term is negligible, and so can indeed be ignored..
AndrewFG is offline  
Old 08-29-2013, 02:11 PM
Senior Member
 
AndrewFG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal9000 View Post

I am open to any suggestions.

Hmm, ok, my suggestion would be to try out another HDMI cable.

I think the unplugging between HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 could perhaps be a bit of a red herring: it is unlikely that the output chip and software would have much impact on the audio, but I could imagine that one or other socket might just have a slightly better physical connection, or perhaps a bit more "oomph" on the signal driver.

So if you can borrow a good quality high bandwidth HDMI cable with good tight physical connections on both ends, it would perhaps at least be worth a try.

I myself have experienced dropouts and stuttering, which was even solved by simply unplugging and re-seating the same cable.
AndrewFG is offline  
Old 08-29-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 17,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal9000 View Post

When the player is directly connected (no intermediate devices of any kind) to the TV (Panasonic TH50PZ700U) from HDMI-1 I get random audio only drop outs that last anywhere from a couple of seconds to ten seconds. When I replay the section of the disc (blu ray and dvd) the audio is always there. I have followed all of OPPOs instructions. I am on my third HDMI cable (two of which they supplied), deep color is off, HDMI is set LPCM there are no firmware upgrades for my TV. The problem did not exist until sometime this summer. I believe it may have begun after the May firmware upgrade. I know it did not exist prior. Since you can't downgrade to previous firmware there is no way for me to be certain that this is the problem; however, while the unit was in transit to and from OPPO I reconnected my BDP83 and there were NO audio dropouts. When I got the replacement 103 and connected it, the dropouts began again almost at once.

This is likely due to periodic HDCP handshakes being fumbled. Some displays do this type thing poorly. Apparently you have nothing connected for HDMI audio. There's no compelling reason why you can't just use HDMI-2. The reason it doesn't do the same thing is that the handshakes on HDMI-2 are quicker (cleaner) without the extra processing chip in the chain. This issue is not unheard of with players using 3 chip architecture like the Oppo does. Some combinations of HDMI hardware just don't play well together.

How long is the HDMI cable you use to the TV? You can try using a shorter one, or longer, but there isn't much else you can do about it other than replacing the display. Otherwise the usual HDMI handshake troubleshooting steps apply: Turn off deep color, set an explicit color space (I'd suggest 4:4:4 for that display), set an explicit resolution (1080p) and generally avoid any "auto" type settings.
rdgrimes is offline  
Old 08-29-2013, 02:45 PM
Member
 
sal9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Denver
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

Hmm, ok, my suggestion would be to try out another HDMI cable.

I think the unplugging between HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 could perhaps be a bit of a red herring: it is unlikely that the output chip and software would have much impact on the audio, but I could imagine that one or other socket might just have a slightly better physical connection, or perhaps a bit more "oomph" on the signal driver.

.

If this is the problem, why would I not be experiencing dropouts when I connect the BDP 83 into HDMI-1? OPPO had no answer for this, they told me to use HDMI-2 and forget about HDMI-1. For a piece of equipment that costs as much as an OPPO does, this seems like a poor answer their part, not yours.
sal9000 is offline  
Old 08-29-2013, 02:51 PM
Member
 
sal9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Denver
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

This is likely due to periodic HDCP handshakes being fumbled. Some displays do this type thing poorly. Apparently you have nothing connected for HDMI audio. There's no compelling reason why you can't just use HDMI-2. The reason it doesn't do the same thing is that the handshakes on HDMI-2 are quicker (cleaner) without the extra processing chip in the chain. This issue is not unheard of with players using 3 chip architecture like the Oppo does. Some combinations of HDMI hardware just don't play well together.

How long is the HDMI cable you use to the TV? You can try using a shorter one, or longer, but there isn't much else you can do about it other than replacing the display. Otherwise the usual HDMI handshake troubleshooting steps apply: Turn off deep color, set an explicit color space (I'd suggest 4:4:4 for that display), set an explicit resolution (1080p) and generally avoid any "auto" type settings.

This is what I suspect although I don't understand why it would have suddenly started and become worse nor why it doesn't affect the BDP 83. I am coming to regret purchasing the 103. I have been a longtime customer and supporter of OPPO but doubt that that will continue. It seems to me that OPPO should acknowledge it instead of saying 'it never happens here'. I'm using a 6 ft cable, deep color is off, will try your suggestions on color space and explicit resolution.
sal9000 is offline  
Old 08-29-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
brentsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wildwood, MO
Posts: 1,943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal9000 View Post

This is what I suspect although I don't understand why it would have suddenly started and become worse nor why it doesn't affect the BDP 83. I am coming to regret purchasing the 103. I have been a longtime customer and supporter of OPPO but doubt that that will continue. It seems to me that OPPO should acknowledge it instead of saying 'it never happens here'. I'm using a 6 ft cable, deep color is off, will try your suggestions on color space and explicit resolution.

It sounds like OPPO has done their due diligence if they've swapped players for you, sent you different cables, and tried to reproduce your problem.

I guess that I'm sympathetic because I am in a position to often troubleshoot complicated problems in a different industry. There are so many different possible combinations of hardware and software in the wild that it's sometimes simply not possible to cure every problem. In your case there is a workaround, so that's a positive. As unlikely as it may seem, it could be that your display is developing a problem.

As unfortunate as it may seem, so many electronics manufacturers have been beaten down on price that if they can't solve your issue in 10 minutes by reading a script from their PC, then you're on your own.
brentsg is offline  
Old 08-29-2013, 03:06 PM
Senior Member
 
AndrewFG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal9000 View Post

If this is the problem, why would I not be experiencing dropouts when I connect the BDP 83 into HDMI-1? OPPO had no answer for this, they told me to use HDMI-2 and forget about HDMI-1. For a piece of equipment that costs as much as an OPPO does, this seems like a poor answer their part, not yours.

I suppose you meant to say BDP 103 rather than BDP 83. Or are we talking about two different boxes in the same discussion??

If you were talking of plugging over between HDMI 1 output of the BDP 103 and the HDMI 2 output of the same BDP 103, then as I said before, it could just be a simple matter that your cable is of a borderline quality that just happens to "gel" when it is plugged into one socket but not when plugged into another socket. Believe me (cheap) HDMI cables can sometimes be quite tricky in this respect.
AndrewFG is offline  
Old 08-29-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,871
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal9000 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

This is likely due to periodic HDCP handshakes being fumbled. Some displays do this type thing poorly. Apparently you have nothing connected for HDMI audio. There's no compelling reason why you can't just use HDMI-2. The reason it doesn't do the same thing is that the handshakes on HDMI-2 are quicker (cleaner) without the extra processing chip in the chain. This issue is not unheard of with players using 3 chip architecture like the Oppo does. Some combinations of HDMI hardware just don't play well together.

How long is the HDMI cable you use to the TV? You can try using a shorter one, or longer, but there isn't much else you can do about it other than replacing the display. Otherwise the usual HDMI handshake troubleshooting steps apply: Turn off deep color, set an explicit color space (I'd suggest 4:4:4 for that display), set an explicit resolution (1080p) and generally avoid any "auto" type settings.

This is what I suspect although I don't understand why it would have suddenly started and become worse nor why it doesn't affect the BDP 83. I am coming to regret purchasing the 103. I have been a longtime customer and supporter of OPPO but doubt that that will continue. It seems to me that OPPO should acknowledge it instead of saying 'it never happens here'. I'm using a 6 ft cable, deep color is off, will try your suggestions on color space and explicit resolution.
I think the diagnosis by rdgrime is probably close. The combination of your display and how it handles it's handshakes and the extra complexity of the software change by OPPO combined with the more complex handshake for the HDMI1 connection is at the bottom of your problem. You have a clean work around with HDMI2. A change of displays, or an AVR setup might stop the problem all together. Thank the movie and music companies. eek.gif

Having a 2008 model display may add to the problem of dealing with more complicated handshake problems.
htwaits is offline  
Old 08-29-2013, 04:29 PM
Member
 
cc999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Elvis 30 #1 Hits DVD 5.1

Can anyone help me. For some reason the Oppo 103 starts to play this DVD perfectly, about
40-60 secs into the song it suddenly slows to a crawl and the sound gets super distorted.

If I stop the DVD and restart it the same thing happens again. I thought it was a scratch in my DVD so I just
purchased a brand new one (60 dollars) put it in and now the same thing happens!

Every other DVD I have plays perfectly (all hi res music). Why is this happening to only this DVD?

Latest firmware - HDMI out to my Emotiva UMC-200 > Emotiva XPA-5 AMP - Everything else sounds fantastic.

=========================================================================================
In reference to above:

After a few emails here is the result:

"Charlie,

We have a copy of this DVD-Audio title and confirm the errors. We are working with our engineers to resolve them in a future firmware release.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119"

So in the end it was the OPPO. They will fix. Great customer Service!
CC
cc999 is offline  
Old 08-29-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JazzGuyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oro Valley AZ
Posts: 2,808
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal9000 View Post

This is what I suspect although I don't understand why it would have suddenly started and become worse nor why it doesn't affect the BDP 83. I am coming to regret purchasing the 103. I have been a longtime customer and supporter of OPPO but doubt that that will continue. It seems to me that OPPO should acknowledge it instead of saying 'it never happens here'. I'm using a 6 ft cable, deep color is off, will try your suggestions on color space and explicit resolution.
The 83 is a different player with a different processor. It is a much simpler player than the 103 in terms of functions and hardware andsoftware and so it may well interact with your display differently. Your particular problem sounds like a specific interaction between two devices that just don't quite get along smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif. Since the switch to HDMI-2 from the Oppo seems to solve the problem, I would just go that route.

JazzGuyy is offline  
Old 08-29-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fmalczewski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal9000 View Post

I am open to any suggestions.

One other question comes to mind, does it behave the same way regardless of whether you are using hdmi input 1 or hdmi input 2 on your tv? Maybe the other one would work better.

(Fwiw, I noticed the hdmi cable that came with my 103 does not have as tight of a fit as my other hdmi cables, seems loose both on the receiver side and the bd player side. (Works ok so far, but it would be wise of me to use a different cable...))
fmalczewski is offline  
Old 08-29-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 2,410
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal9000 View Post

This is what I suspect although I don't understand why it would have suddenly started and become worse nor why it doesn't affect the BDP 83. I am coming to regret purchasing the 103. I have been a longtime customer and supporter of OPPO but doubt that that will continue. It seems to me that OPPO should acknowledge it instead of saying 'it never happens here'. I'm using a 6 ft cable, deep color is off, will try your suggestions on color space and explicit resolution.

Before I bought my 105, I had heard that the OPPO HDMI cable that is included is "iffy." Six foot wouldn't work for me. I bought a couple of Redmere HDMI cables from Monoprice. They work great hooked directly to my Panny GT50. Like htwaits said above, might be time to upgrade TV's.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Corbin Dallas, "The Fifth Element"

Klipsch Chorus II (Mains); Klipsch Academy (Center) (KLF-C7 waiting in the wings); Klipsch RS-62 II (Surrounds); SVS PC13-Ultra (Big Bada Boom); ATI AT1505 (Amp); OPPO BDP-105 (Blu-ray Player); Panasonic 60GT50 (Plasma TV)
Mongo171 is online now  
Old 08-29-2013, 06:06 PM
Newbie
 
MJFieser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 103 arrived today. Talk about a nice present to find when I got home form work.

Anyway, after hooking it up, I realize it has firmware 1220.

Does anyone want to make me an offer for it before I update the firmware?
MJFieser is offline  
Old 08-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,391
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by calpon View Post

New problem:

I had to replace my Onkyo 3008 due to the HDMI board failing and got a Yamaha A3030. Since the Yamaha has an in-house video solution, thought I would run my Direct TV Genie into the Oppo In on the rear of the unit and then out to the Yamaha.

I believe there is a handshake issue that will prevent me from watching this way. After changing channels a few times or even after watching TV for a little while cycling through commercials....the video becomes "stuttery" for lack of a better term. Scroll bars have a slight hesitation and action on the screen have a hesitation(the image also is less sharp when this occurs). I have to turn everything off to correct it (only last a little while before beginning again).

This evening, I have switched to running the Genie into the Yamaha straight and no longer have this issue. Picture quality seems to be just as good in the short amount that I have watched.

All you need to do to fix this is update your firmware in the OPPO 103. Either the Official 0719 firmware or the Public Beta 0808B firmware will fix this. Since there are additional fixes in the Public Beta firmware, my recommendation would be that you download that one from the OPPO Digital site for install via a USB stick. (Unlike the Official firmware, the Public Beta firmware is not available for network install.) Get it here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103-Support.aspx

IMPORTANT NOTE: After installing either of these, you will need to do a Reset Factory Defaults to insure proper operation. On the first power up after the install a "Recommended Reset" will be offered, and that's all you need to do. That one preserves your network settings and also your Internet app login credentials. Jot down the rest of your settings before the install for easy re-entry after the Reset.

ALso, I'm assuming you have a US version of the OPPO. If you have an EU version, you will need to get the firmware update from the OPPO UK site.

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
Old 08-29-2013, 07:20 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,391
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFieser View Post

My 103 arrived today. Talk about a nice present to find when I got home form work.

Anyway, after hooking it up, I realize it has firmware 1220.

Does anyone want to make me an offer for it before I update the firmware?

Really? Folks still want that old firmware?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
Old 08-29-2013, 07:22 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,391
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

Before I bought my 105, I had heard that the OPPO HDMI cable that is included is "iffy." Six foot wouldn't work for me. I bought a couple of Redmere HDMI cables from Monoprice. They work great hooked directly to my Panny GT50. Like htwaits said above, might be time to upgrade TV's.

To the best of my knowledge there is nothing "iffy" about the cable OPPO bundles with the player. That said, there have been lots of good reports here on the robustness of the Redmere technology cables, particularly for long cable runs.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
Old 08-29-2013, 07:31 PM
Member
 
calpon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

All you need to do to fix this is update your firmware in the OPPO 103. Either the Official 0719 firmware or the Public Beta 0808B firmware will fix this. Since there are additional fixes in the Public Beta firmware, my recommendation would be that you download that one from the OPPO Digital site for install via a USB stick. (Unlike the Official firmware, the Public Beta firmware is not available for network install.) Get it here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103-Support.aspx

IMPORTANT NOTE: After installing either of these, you will need to do a Reset Factory Defaults to insure proper operation. On the first power up after the install a "Recommended Reset" will be offered, and that's all you need to do. That one preserves your network settings and also your Internet app login credentials. Jot down the rest of your settings before the install for easy re-entry after the Reset.

ALso, I'm assuming you have a US version of the OPPO. If you have an EU version, you will need to get the firmware update from the OPPO UK site.

--Bob

I have got the latest official firmware installed(did this before viewing anything with the new receiver). My life is too busy at the moment to be dealing with beta firmware and doing a/b testing.

The video processor in the Yamaha, without any formal testing, appears to be (to the eye) just as good as the Oppo. I will leave the Oppo out of the Direct TV loop until some formal reviews of the A3030 comes out and quantify the video aspect. I am hoping that a higher end receiver would not skimp out on the video processor.

My family was getting irritated with my Harmony One failing to start everything properly utilizing the Oppo in as well. I will try this again at some point in the future when time permits and official firmware is available. Hopefully something can be done to allow the Harmony to sync up better.
calpon is offline  
Old 08-29-2013, 07:44 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,391
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal9000 View Post

I've been following this forum for some time and never seen a discussion of the problem that I am having with my BDP 103.

I have contacted OPPO customer support and they have replaced my unit with another that has the same problem as the original that is set out below.

When the player is directly connected (no intermediate devices of any kind) to the TV (Panasonic TH50PZ700U) from HDMI-1 I get random audio only drop outs that last anywhere from a couple of seconds to ten seconds. When I replay the section of the disc (blu ray and dvd) the audio is always there. I have followed all of OPPOs instructions. I am on my third HDMI cable (two of which they supplied), deep color is off, HDMI is set LPCM there are no firmware upgrades for my TV. The problem did not exist until sometime this summer. I believe it may have begun after the May firmware upgrade. I know it did not exist prior. Since you can't downgrade to previous firmware there is no way for me to be certain that this is the problem; however, while the unit was in transit to and from OPPO I reconnected my BDP83 and there were NO audio dropouts. When I got the replacement 103 and connected it, the dropouts began again almost at once.

After trying all the suggestions that I have found on this forum, I was ready to give up and stop using the 103. As a final attempt I reset the factory settings, set HDMI audio to LPCM and switched to the HDMI2 output, leaving the HDMI 1 output unconnected. The audio dropouts stopped completely. To verify that the problem was still there, I switched back to HDMI 1 and the problem was back instantly. I am now using HDMI 2 with no problems but it bothers me that I cannot get the player to work the way it is supposed to.

The people at OPPO always answer my emails, but, honestly, they give me the impression that they doubt my account of what is occurring. They keep suggesting the same thing over and over and asking questions that I have already answered. It's disappointing. I am open to any suggestions.

Are the audio dropouts spaced uniformly in time -- say once every 10 minutes? If so, then the odds are the Panasonic is failing the periodic, background copy protection check that happens over HDMI. Usually that check happens in the background and you never notice it, but if it fails, a retry happens and audio is muted while that's going on. The minimum time for an HDMI retry is on the order of 2 seconds. If more than 1 retry is needed to get things working then the delay goes up in multiples of 2 seconds.

The first thing you need to know is that HDCP (the copy protection protocol layered on top of HDMI) *LIKES* to fail. It is finicky by design. Often such failures are due to marginal cables, but you seem to have eliminated that.

What I think is going on in your case is that the Panasonic is not responding fast enough to the check on HDMI 1 (which is a fairly complicated sequence due to going through 2 video processors in the OPPO). Evidently it isn't failing BY MUCH because things are working in the simpler case on HDMI 2 and also on the 83. It may simply be that your Panasonic is not compatible with HDMI 1 output from the 103. There are lots of ways this can happen, only one of which might be fixable by you -- and that would be to check if there's a firmware update available for your model of Panasonic. These sorts of problems arise because the HDMI chips come from different vendors, who interpret the HDMI specs differently, compounded by the firmware that operates those chips, perhaps not being optimal for speed.

Since the Panasonic is ALMOST working with HDMI 1, it is also possible that HDMI-related settings in the Panasonic might alter its response time. For example, try turning off anything having to do with remote control over the HDMI cable in the Panasonic (HDMI CEC is the real name, but Panasonic might call it something else). On some displays, HDMI CEC is enabled automatically on only 1 input. If that's true about yours, try another input. Also turn OFF HDMI CEC in the OPPO.

Some displays also spin their gears more than makes sense when sent 1080p/24 video. Try setting 108p/24 Output OFF in the OPPO.

You say you already have the OPPO set to LPCM audio output. Also check that you are using an explicit video output resolution choice -- e.g., 1080p instead of AUTO or Source Direct.

If you've not done so already, also check on the owner's thread for your Display as there are other two processor players out there which may be causing the same problem, and some other owner may have found the magic change to fix it.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
Old 08-29-2013, 08:02 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,391
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by calpon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

All you need to do to fix this is update your firmware in the OPPO 103. Either the Official 0719 firmware or the Public Beta 0808B firmware will fix this. Since there are additional fixes in the Public Beta firmware, my recommendation would be that you download that one from the OPPO Digital site for install via a USB stick. (Unlike the Official firmware, the Public Beta firmware is not available for network install.) Get it here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103-Support.aspx

IMPORTANT NOTE: After installing either of these, you will need to do a Reset Factory Defaults to insure proper operation. On the first power up after the install a "Recommended Reset" will be offered, and that's all you need to do. That one preserves your network settings and also your Internet app login credentials. Jot down the rest of your settings before the install for easy re-entry after the Reset.

ALso, I'm assuming you have a US version of the OPPO. If you have an EU version, you will need to get the firmware update from the OPPO UK site.

--Bob

I have got the latest official firmware installed(did this before viewing anything with the new receiver). My life is too busy at the moment to be dealing with beta firmware and doing a/b testing.

The video processor in the Yamaha, without any formal testing, appears to be (to the eye) just as good as the Oppo. I will leave the Oppo out of the Direct TV loop until some formal reviews of the A3030 comes out and quantify the video aspect. I am hoping that a higher end receiver would not skimp out on the video processor.

My family was getting irritated with my Harmony One failing to start everything properly utilizing the Oppo in as well. I will try this again at some point in the future when time permits and official firmware is available. Hopefully something can be done to allow the Harmony to sync up better.

It's unusual to have this problem with the 0719 firmware installed. Check Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information to confirm that's what you've got (the last few digits of the Main firmware version number).

There ARE additional HDMI fixes in the 0808B Public Beta firmware that may resolve this, but since things are working OK in your alternate configuration, it is probably best just to continue with that.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
Old 08-29-2013, 08:11 PM
Newbie
 
MJFieser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, Bob, I certainly do not want that old firmware, since the two main features I want (ExFat and ALAC support) we're added via later firmware updates.

But as 1220 was the last firmware that allowed SACD-R and BDMV folder playback, someone who desired those features might; I've still got my BDP-80 for SACD-R playback and I've ripped all my Blu-rays to MKV, so I couldn't care less about them.
MJFieser is offline  
Old 08-29-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 17,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal9000 View Post

This is what I suspect although I don't understand why it would have suddenly started and become worse nor why it doesn't affect the BDP 83. I am coming to regret purchasing the 103. I have been a longtime customer and supporter of OPPO but doubt that that will continue. It seems to me that OPPO should acknowledge it instead of saying 'it never happens here'. I'm using a 6 ft cable, deep color is off, will try your suggestions on color space and explicit resolution.

You have to admit that your display is a bit long in the tooth. Models from this period frequently have issues with HDCP handshakes, its a simple fact of life. The BDP-83 does not utilize HDCP in the same way as later models. You have 2 options beyond the troubleshooting already mentioned: Use HDMI-2 ( a perfectly legitimate solution), or replace the display with one that plays nice with HDCP.
rdgrimes is offline  
Old 08-29-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 1,323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

Before I bought my 105, I had heard that the OPPO HDMI cable that is included is "iffy." Six foot wouldn't work for me. I bought a couple of Redmere HDMI cables from Monoprice. They work great hooked directly to my Panny GT50. Like htwaits said above, might be time to upgrade TV's.

The Oppo HMDI cables I received are big thick cables with ferrite cores, and work fine for me. They make my AppleTV HDMI cable look like a tiny string in comparison, which also works fine.
KC-Technerd is offline  
Old 08-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,391
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFieser View Post

Well, Bob, I certainly do not want that old firmware, since the two main features I want (ExFat and ALAC support) we're added via later firmware updates.

But as 1220 was the last firmware that allowed SACD-R and BDMV folder playback, someone who desired those features might; I've still got my BDP-80 for SACD-R playback and I've ripped all my Blu-rays to MKV, so I couldn't care less about them.

Fair enough. Part of the problem of being a Beta Tester is you live through so many bug fixes (most of which -- ALL of which if things go right -- get fixed before you guys ever see them), that the very idea of going back to firmware that old just seems, umm, odd. The restrictions that get imposed -- like the BDMV stuff -- are just things you learn to live with in gear like this. The Blu-ray Disc Association giveth, and the Blu-ray Disc Association taketh away.....
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
Old 08-30-2013, 03:09 PM
Member
 
Jammers10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having a strange issue with my OPPO BDP-103 blu-ray player if indeed it's the players fault. When i choose to see the subtitles on a DVD or blu-ray disc they don't show on the screen. I played the same movie on my computer and the subtitles showed on the screen. I'm sure the answer is right under my nose. Is there a setting in the blu-ray player that should be on?
Jammers10 is offline  
Old 08-30-2013, 03:17 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,195
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammers10 View Post

I'm having a strange issue with my OPPO BDP-103 blu-ray player if indeed it's the players fault. When i choose to see the subtitles on a DVD or blu-ray disc they don't show on the screen. I played the same movie on my computer and the subtitles showed on the screen. I'm sure the answer is right under my nose. Is there a setting in the blu-ray player that should be on?

Check Setup -> Video Setup -> Display Options -> Subtitle Shift. It should be 0.

This is one of the things that seems to get screwed up if people don't do a Reset Factory Default after installing new firmware. The numerical range of that setting was changed recently and that may have caused odd values to be introduced without a reset.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
Old 08-30-2013, 05:44 PM
Senior Member
 
harrybnbad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hey to all,

I currently use my fat ps3 for all disc play. I have the Denon 4520, also running into my Sony 70r550a tv. I'm even running 11.2. Just got my Emotiva xpa-200 today. WOW.....

My question is, I feel im ready to upgrade my disc play back. Mainly blu ray. I really like the sony bdp-s780 sony blu ray player. However, this oppo 103 really looks great. So with my current setup, will this oppo REALLY out shine the new sony? If so, like how. I know i'd be happy with the cheaper sony.

Then again, I think the 7 audio inputs will be great with my Denon. Ya, wait a minute. Is that really better than hdmi audio? REALLY? Cause I do like sacd and the such. But to spend close to 5 more bills on this system, will the picture be so much better? Not to mention will my wife say wow, that picture is awesome.
harrybnbad is offline  
Old 08-30-2013, 06:00 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,195
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrybnbad View Post

Hey to all,

I currently use my fat ps3 for all disc play. I have the Denon 4520, also running into my Sony 70r550a tv. I'm even running 11.2. Just got my Emotiva xpa-200 today. WOW.....

My question is, I feel im ready to upgrade my disc play back. Mainly blu ray. I really like the sony bdp-s780 sony blu ray player. However, this oppo 103 really looks great. So with my current setup, will this oppo REALLY out shine the new sony? If so, like how. I know i'd be happy with the cheaper sony.

Then again, I think the 7 audio inputs will be great with my Denon. Ya, wait a minute. Is that really better than hdmi audio? REALLY? Cause I do like sacd and the such. But to spend close to 5 more bills on this system, will the picture be so much better? Not to mention will my wife say wow, that picture is awesome.

It's unlikely you would see a huge difference in Blu-ray image quality.

HDMI vs multi-channel analog depends on the audio quality of the receiver vs the player. Most people who have HDMI in the receiver use it.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
Old 08-30-2013, 06:10 PM
Member
 
sal9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Denver
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Are the audio dropouts spaced uniformly in time -- say once every 10 minutes? If so, then the odds are the Panasonic is failing the periodic, background copy protection check that happens over HDMI. Usually that check happens in the background and you never notice it, but if it fails, a retry happens and audio is muted while that's going on. The minimum time for an HDMI retry is on the order of 2 seconds. If more than 1 retry is needed to get things working then the delay goes up in multiples of 2 seconds.

The first thing you need to know is that HDCP (the copy protection protocol layered on top of HDMI) *LIKES* to fail. It is finicky by design. Often such failures are due to marginal cables, but you seem to have eliminated that.

What I think is going on in your case is that the Panasonic is not responding fast enough to the check on HDMI 1 (which is a fairly complicated sequence due to going through 2 video processors in the OPPO). Evidently it isn't failing BY MUCH because things are working in the simpler case on HDMI 2 and also on the 83. It may simply be that your Panasonic is not compatible with HDMI 1 output from the 103. There are lots of ways this can happen, only one of which might be fixable by you -- and that would be to check if there's a firmware update available for your model of Panasonic. These sorts of problems arise because the HDMI chips come from different vendors, who interpret the HDMI specs differently, compounded by the firmware that operates those chips, perhaps not being optimal for speed.

Since the Panasonic is ALMOST working with HDMI 1, it is also possible that HDMI-related settings in the Panasonic might alter its response time. For example, try turning off anything having to do with remote control over the HDMI cable in the Panasonic (HDMI CEC is the real name, but Panasonic might call it something else). On some displays, HDMI CEC is enabled automatically on only 1 input. If that's true about yours, try another input. Also turn OFF HDMI CEC in the OPPO.

Some displays also spin their gears more than makes sense when sent 1080p/24 video. Try setting 108p/24 Output OFF in the OPPO.

You say you already have the OPPO set to LPCM audio output. Also check that you are using an explicit video output resolution choice -- e.g., 1080p instead of AUTO or Source Direct.

If you've not done so already, also check on the owner's thread for your Display as there are other two processor players out there which may be causing the same problem, and some other owner may have found the magic change to fix it.
--Bob

Bob and others who have responded. The dropouts appear to be totally random to me. Sometimes they happen early in a disc and repeat, sometimes they occur near the end and sometimes they don't occur at all.

I've tried playing some discs that I have made myself from home video and there are no dropouts. If I am understanding how HDCP works I guess that this indicates you and others are correct that it is a handshake problem when playing a protected disc. I recognize that I have an "old" TV but it delivers a picture that very few current models can beat so I'll be keeping it for the time being.

Doing all the various tests of setup changes is very time consuming but I will continue trying all the suggestions that you and others have made and report my results when done.

Thanks to all for your suggestions, it's too bad that OPPO was not willing to take the time that you guys have.
sal9000 is offline  
Old 08-30-2013, 06:48 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,391
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
A long shot, but you might want to look into Gefen's HDMI Detective. It's a gadget you put in the HDMI path which buffers some types of HDMI problems. Basically it records the status of the device on one side and presents that uniformly to the other side.

Of course you should also consider Dual HDMI cabling. HDMI 1 direct to your TV, and HDMI 2 to a sound processor. Set Splt A/V mode in the OPPO and audio will be muted on the HDMI 1 output to the TV -- thus no copy protection problems.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off