Forum Jump: 

post #11431 of 18014 Old 08-30-2013, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Are the audio dropouts spaced uniformly in time -- say once every 10 minutes? If so, then the odds are the Panasonic is failing the periodic, background copy protection check that happens over HDMI. Usually that check happens in the background and you never notice it, but if it fails, a retry happens and audio is muted while that's going on. The minimum time for an HDMI retry is on the order of 2 seconds. If more than 1 retry is needed to get things working then the delay goes up in multiples of 2 seconds.

The first thing you need to know is that HDCP (the copy protection protocol layered on top of HDMI) *LIKES* to fail. It is finicky by design. Often such failures are due to marginal cables, but you seem to have eliminated that.

What I think is going on in your case is that the Panasonic is not responding fast enough to the check on HDMI 1 (which is a fairly complicated sequence due to going through 2 video processors in the OPPO). Evidently it isn't failing BY MUCH because things are working in the simpler case on HDMI 2 and also on the 83. It may simply be that your Panasonic is not compatible with HDMI 1 output from the 103. There are lots of ways this can happen, only one of which might be fixable by you -- and that would be to check if there's a firmware update available for your model of Panasonic. These sorts of problems arise because the HDMI chips come from different vendors, who interpret the HDMI specs differently, compounded by the firmware that operates those chips, perhaps not being optimal for speed.

Since the Panasonic is ALMOST working with HDMI 1, it is also possible that HDMI-related settings in the Panasonic might alter its response time. For example, try turning off anything having to do with remote control over the HDMI cable in the Panasonic (HDMI CEC is the real name, but Panasonic might call it something else). On some displays, HDMI CEC is enabled automatically on only 1 input. If that's true about yours, try another input. Also turn OFF HDMI CEC in the OPPO.

Some displays also spin their gears more than makes sense when sent 1080p/24 video. Try setting 108p/24 Output OFF in the OPPO.

You say you already have the OPPO set to LPCM audio output. Also check that you are using an explicit video output resolution choice -- e.g., 1080p instead of AUTO or Source Direct.

If you've not done so already, also check on the owner's thread for your Display as there are other two processor players out there which may be causing the same problem, and some other owner may have found the magic change to fix it.
--Bob

Bob and others who have responded. The dropouts appear to be totally random to me. Sometimes they happen early in a disc and repeat, sometimes they occur near the end and sometimes they don't occur at all.

I've tried playing some discs that I have made myself from home video and there are no dropouts. If I am understanding how HDCP works I guess that this indicates you and others are correct that it is a handshake problem when playing a protected disc. I recognize that I have an "old" TV but it delivers a picture that very few current models can beat so I'll be keeping it for the time being.

Doing all the various tests of setup changes is very time consuming but I will continue trying all the suggestions that you and others have made and report my results when done.

Thanks to all for your suggestions, it's too bad that OPPO was not willing to take the time that you guys have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11432 of 18014 Old 08-30-2013, 06:48 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 849
A long shot, but you might want to look into Gefen's HDMI Detective. It's a gadget you put in the HDMI path which buffers some types of HDMI problems. Basically it records the status of the device on one side and presents that uniformly to the other side.

Of course you should also consider Dual HDMI cabling. HDMI 1 direct to your TV, and HDMI 2 to a sound processor. Set Splt A/V mode in the OPPO and audio will be muted on the HDMI 1 output to the TV -- thus no copy protection problems.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11433 of 18014 Old 08-30-2013, 06:49 PM

Just to update: after I have correctly set up my DDNS, now the issue becomes "the input of password for the router" instead of TV screen turns completely green. Pls see attached photo shots. BDP 103 requires me to enter password for the router while I want to open up subdirectory, but what button on the control should I press to get qwerty keypad appeared?
post #11434 of 18014 Old 08-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

Press Enter, and the on screen virtual keyboard will come up.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11435 of 18014 Old 08-30-2013, 11:22 PM

I am experiencing an issue that may be related to what Bob explained above although I honestly don't know. My display is a Panasonic AE8000 projector. I have my directv receiver connected to the Oppo as I want to use it for everything but when I switch from one input to the other the picture goes on and off constantly but I do not lose audio. I have tried switching out cables. It runs beautifully until I switch inputs. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks

Robin
post #11436 of 18014 Old 08-31-2013, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 77
***Bass Problem Solved***

As I mentioned earlier, my bass response on Redbook CD's was not that stellar with my Pioneer SC65 AVR receiver (Class D amp) into my 7.1 HT setup. SACD's and Bluray were fine, but CD's left something to be desired.

Turns out that it was an "amp" issue more than anything. I added an MMC-7 channel amplifier (Class D amp) from Wyred4Sound (220 wpc versus 130 wpc plus dedicated power - discrete from input to output for each channel) and the difference is night and day.

The new amplifier has breathed new life into my speakers and older CD's. Two channel music sounds absolutely fantastic from the OPPO 103. Big bass punch, solid mids and great treble (highs).

So here is a quick question on older CD's and playing music in general with my OPPO:

In terms of quality and sound - - this is how I would rate it:

1. SACD and Bluray
2. CD's
3. MP3's - other like files.

So - - are there any older CD's (Redbook) that sound better than others? Irrespective of mastering techniques - - was there any technology that sounds better or technically better or all CD's the same?

Also - - I haven't played any MP3's yet, but I know there are compression issues. All things being equal - - shouldn't a CD sound better than the same song/music that's in an MP3 format?

I'm not talking about newer "DSD" files - - which sound great but get converted by my OPPO to PCM (but still sound great!)

Thx, Rico

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #11437 of 18014 Old 08-31-2013, 08:32 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ CD quality is all over the map, and has been since the format first came out. The "technology" is identical, but how it is used (the recording, mastering, and transfer process) varies an incredible amount. Some are simply godawful. For example, it is very common for recent CDs to be highly compressed. This raises the over all loudness of the result (quieter passages are made louder) but loses the impact of what are supposed to be the truly loud portions. Others are mastered specifically for playback on crappy equipment (in cars, boomboxes and the like). Your best bet is to go spend time at a disc review site focussed on the type of music you like. You may be able to hone in on a few studios that produce the quality you like. Be warned that the better your playback system, the more awful badly produced CDs will sound. You will hear ALL the defects.

HDCD is a variation that encodes 20 bits of dynamic range (softness to loudness difference) in the 16 bit format of a CD, at the expense of raising the noise floor a bit.
--Bob

post #11438 of 18014 Old 08-31-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Press Enter, and the on screen virtual keyboard will come up.
--Bob
Thanks! Bob! Silly me not trying to simply press enter...
Now the next question is, for the username and password, what kind should I enter? I mean, I use an external HDD attached to a router as a simple NAS. I was trying to use router's username and pw but did not work. Is there anything I missed?
post #11439 of 18014 Old 08-31-2013, 09:00 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenmad899 View Post

Thanks! Bob! Silly me not trying to simply press enter...
Now the next question is, for the username and password, what kind should I enter? I mean, I use an external HDD attached to a router as a simple NAS. I was trying to use router's username and pw but did not work. Is there anything I missed?

Sounds like it won't even be password protected - just login without inputting any username or password and it should work. To clarify, you will be prompted to input a username/password regardless of whether or not you actually set a username/password to the share.

post #11440 of 18014 Old 08-31-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Check Setup -> Video Setup -> Display Options -> Subtitle Shift. It should be 0.

This is one of the things that seems to get screwed up if people don't do a Reset Factory Default after installing new firmware. The numerical range of that setting was changed recently and that may have caused odd values to be introduced without a reset.

-Bill
I just did what you said to do and it worked. I updated the firmware a couple weeks ago and it changed the Subtitle Shift to -5. Now it's back to 0. Thanks,
post #11441 of 18014 Old 08-31-2013, 02:58 PM

Liked: 12
Is there any particular reason that the Auto-Play setting doesn't work with BR/DVD discs (i.e. "Off" only seems to impact audio discs)? I know the workaround based on some googling, but am just curious if there is some legitimate reason this isn't a universal setting and if any of you beta testers or people in the know can see OPPO modifying this in the future?
post #11442 of 18014 Old 08-31-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Because DVDs and Blu-rays have previews and other warning messages which will slow down how soon you can start watching the film. OPPO wants to get you to the TOP MENU, and thereby the film, as soon as possible. CD and SACD are pretty much load and play, so you may want to get to your listening position before engaging disc playback, which is why Auto Play affects these media types only.
post #11443 of 18014 Old 08-31-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Because DVDs and Blu-rays have previews and other warning messages which will slow down how soon you can start watching the film. OPPO wants to get you to the TOP MENU, and thereby the film, as soon as possible. CD and SACD are pretty much load and play, so you may want to get to your listening position before engaging disc playback, which is why Auto Play affects these media types only.

I'd rather they make it universal. Am I alone in that?
post #11444 of 18014 Old 08-31-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalnomad View Post

Sounds like it won't even be password protected - just login without inputting any username or password and it should work. To clarify, you will be prompted to input a username/password regardless of whether or not you actually set a username/password to the share.
I'd love to think so but it does not. It says invalid username and password...
post #11445 of 18014 Old 08-31-2013, 08:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ If you haven't set a password yourself, then it may have a default password such as user "Guest" and blank password. Check the documentation for it.

In your question about how to enter the password above, you talked about providing a password to your "router". What is this "router" of which you speak? The OPPO only know about networked SMB servers and DLNA servers. If you have a network accessible hard drive attached to a network router, then you need to enable SMB access to that hard drive (in the router's own settings), and the password you want is whatever you establish for that SMB share at that time -- or none if you don't set any.

If you are attempting to set up SMB-based file sharing on either a MAC computer or a Windows 8 computer, you will run into problems. There's a workaround available for doing that on a Mac, but not yet for Windows 8:

http://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=32

--Bob

post #11446 of 18014 Old 08-31-2013, 10:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Hi,
I've been trying to set up my Harmony 900 with my new Oppo 103 (which is being used alongside my Oppo 93 at the moment), and apparently the Harmony seems to be completely clueless about communicating with my new BluRay/AV source player. I have the 103' s original remote set to remote code 2 (the Oppo 93 is on remote code 1), and with the Oppo Device Setup also set to remote 2, I haven't had any problems using the original remote at all.

However, it seems that while I easily could get the 103's instruction set installed on the Harmony, the player itself doesn't recognize any commands from the Harmony. I tried confirming the IR codes by pairing the two remotes as per the Harmony instructions, and the remotes aren't communicating either. The same if I tried the Oppo 105 code.

Is there a known conflict with Harmony and the Oppo 103, particularly if you're using the remote set to something other than 1? I've got the latest official Oppo software up (0719) as well as the most recent Harmony software (7.7.0) and firmware.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #11447 of 18014 Old 08-31-2013, 11:47 PM

Hello .....

Same thing here...my harmony remote when i change the remote code in oppo' s remote is unable to control the player....
post #11448 of 18014 Old 09-01-2013, 04:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by skopelos View Post

Hello .....

Same thing here...my harmony remote when i change the remote code in oppo' s remote is unable to control the player....

See this--I knew about switching remote codes, but missed the Harmony discussion a few weeks ago:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432162/official-oppo-bdp-103-owners-thread/10980#post_23632552

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #11449 of 18014 Old 09-01-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

Hi,
I've been trying to set up my Harmony 900 with my new Oppo 103 (which is being used alongside my Oppo 93 at the moment), and apparently the Harmony seems to be completely clueless about communicating with my new BluRay/AV source player. I have the 103' s original remote set to remote code 2 (the Oppo 93 is on remote code 1), and with the Oppo Device Setup also set to remote 2, I haven't had any problems using the original remote at all.

However, it seems that while I easily could get the 103's instruction set installed on the Harmony, the player itself doesn't recognize any commands from the Harmony. I tried confirming the IR codes by pairing the two remotes as per the Harmony instructions, and the remotes aren't communicating either. The same if I tried the Oppo 105 code.

Is there a known conflict with Harmony and the Oppo 103, particularly if you're using the remote set to something other than 1? I've got the latest official Oppo software up (0719) as well as the most recent Harmony software (7.7.0) and firmware.

Do you have a region-free mod? If you do, you may need to make some additional changes before you can change remote codesets. Check with the maker or your mod or the seller for additional information.

post #11450 of 18014 Old 09-01-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

^^ I have the JVB multiregion/multizone mod (from the instructions that came with the 103 I purchased from them, it's identical to the bluraychip.dk 'standard' mod kit). There was no problem using the Oppo remote on code 2 and switching out R1 and R2 DVDs (and so for, Region A BluRays). But I still have the original codeset, not the alternate in the Harmony database with their 103/105 device.

I'll check with JVB and see what, if anything else I might need to do to make the Harmony work with the 103 wrt their kit.

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #11451 of 18014 Old 09-01-2013, 11:08 AM

I was wondering >>> how customer-friendly is Oppo in regards to supporting older Blu-ray players? Especially with some new Blu-rays, firmware updates are essential. I'm asking since I recently had a bad experience with a Philips Blu-ray player. Philips stopped releasing firmware updates so quite a number of Blu-rays don't play. I'm never gonna purchase a Blu-ray player from Philips again. So for example; when I look at the Oppo support website for the BDP-83 I see that the latest official firmware was released on March 7, 2012. So I guess they stopped supporting it? Have there not been ANY issues with newly released Blu-rays?
post #11452 of 18014 Old 09-01-2013, 11:26 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Updates for disc compatibility are probably all you are going to get for older players, but as you say, that is pretty important.

From time to time there are reports of title-related issues with the older players but we seldom hear of the followup: did OPPO address the issue, is it working now?

You might ask in the -83 thread whether there are Blu-ray discs that will not play, then follow up with OPPO to make sure they agree, that it is not a user error of some sort.

-Bill
post #11453 of 18014 Old 09-01-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post

I was wondering >>> how customer-friendly is Oppo in regards to supporting older Blu-ray players? Especially with some new Blu-rays, firmware updates are essential. I'm asking since I recently had a bad experience with a Philips Blu-ray player. Philips stopped releasing firmware updates so quite a number of Blu-rays don't play. I'm never gonna purchase a Blu-ray player from Philips again. So for example; when I look at the Oppo support website for the BDP-83 I see that the latest official firmware was released on March 7, 2012. So I guess they stopped supporting it? Have there not been ANY issues with newly released Blu-rays?

I have a BDP-83, have benefited from the great Oppo support on firmware updates, etc. I think it's a combination of excellent initial design and timely firmware updates that has kept it going well. I bought mine in 2009, kept up with every update. I have never had a disk that would not play and play well.

In the time I've owned it, there have been many features added to my player, SACD and DVD-A play, DLNA capabilities, and many fixes that improved the machine. Throughout the time I've had it, it has been a rock solid player. I've just finished watching "How the west was won", "Life of Pi", "O Brother Wherefore art thou" and "Terminator Salvation".

Statistically, I'm just one point but for four years this thing has been a horse. It gets used daily for music, movies, DVD and Bluray. In my experience, if what you want is the best player around with the best support, you get an Oppo.

I have no doubt that if the 83 needed a firmware update, it would get it, but for what it does, I haven't needed one.
post #11454 of 18014 Old 09-01-2013, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammers10 View Post

I'm having a strange issue with my OPPO BDP-103 blu-ray player if indeed it's the players fault. When i choose to see the subtitles on a DVD or blu-ray disc they don't show on the screen. I played the same movie on my computer and the subtitles showed on the screen. I'm sure the answer is right under my nose. Is there a setting in the blu-ray player that should be on?

I just had this problem myself. Except the subtitles were half off the bottom of the screen. From p.34 of the manual:

To shift the display position of subtitles, please follow these steps:
1. When playing a DVD, Blu-ray Disc or other video programs recorded with subtitles, select the desired
subtitle from the disc menu or by using the remote. (Refer to page 29 for more information.)
2. Press and hold the SUBTITLE button on the remote control until the Shift Subtitle Position prompt
appears on the screen.
3. Wait until subtitle text is shown on the screen, and then use the UP/DOWN ARROW buttons to move
the subtitle text to the desired position.
4. Press the ENTER button to set the subtitle display position.
Once the Subtitle Shift position is set, it is saved by the player in the Video Setup > Display Options >
Subtitle Shift setup menu option. The setting will be applied to subtitles of all future DVD and Blu-ray
Discs. You can also change the setup menu item directly. Refer to the Video Setup section beginning on
page 53 for more information.

-Bill

Bill Cruce
Widescreen Review
post #11455 of 18014 Old 09-01-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been using the Vudu app a lot with my 103. The last couple of nights, we power everything up and navigate to Vudu. The Vudu logo comes up and the player hangs. I can power cycle the BD player and then it works fine.
post #11456 of 18014 Old 09-01-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

I have a BDP-83, have benefited from the great Oppo support on firmware updates, etc. I think it's a combination of excellent initial design and timely firmware updates that has kept it going well. I bought mine in 2009, kept up with every update. I have never had a disk that would not play and play well.

In the time I've owned it, there have been many features added to my player, SACD and DVD-A play, DLNA capabilities, and many fixes that improved the machine. Throughout the time I've had it, it has been a rock solid player. I've just finished watching "How the west was won", "Life of Pi", "O Brother Wherefore art thou" and "Terminator Salvation".

Statistically, I'm just one point but for four years this thing has been a horse. It gets used daily for music, movies, DVD and Bluray. In my experience, if what you want is the best player around with the best support, you get an Oppo.

I have no doubt that if the 83 needed a firmware update, it would get it, but for what it does, I haven't needed one.

Thanks for your reply. It was just hard to imagine that there hasn't been an issue with ANY newly releaed Blu-ray on the BDP-83 since March 2012.
post #11457 of 18014 Old 09-02-2013, 12:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post

Thanks for your reply. It was just hard to imagine that there hasn't been an issue with ANY newly released Blu-ray on the BDP-83 since March 2012.
I've owned a BDP-83 but back in 2011 I switched to the 93. You can read the 83 and 93 threads for owner's complaints about disks that don't play. I don't recall any unsolved problems if all players were effected.

There are some cases where a disk wouldn't play for one or a very small number of owners. In those cases is seems to be the disk, failed player, or a setup problem.

OPPO handles hardware failures very rapidly for a very modest flat rate. You can check with them for the current rate. Turn around is almost always is one business day.
post #11458 of 18014 Old 09-02-2013, 06:13 AM

Liked: 13

In response to above post:

They are excellent is response. I have a problem now with the DVD 5.1 version of Elvis 30 #1 Hits. I emailed them.
Within an hour they replied and verified the problem and promised a fix in an upcoming firmware release.

That's what I would call excellent customer service.

CC
post #11459 of 18014 Old 09-02-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I just found another feature on the Oppo 103 that had me pleasantly surprised. In addition to the video/audio information screen on Netflix movies, you can easily toggle the subtitles on/off with the Subtitle button. This is great!! smile.gif

lujan
667 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #11460 of 18014 Old 09-02-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 91
^^
It's a nice feature, but it's not really unique to Oppo. Both of the players I replaced with the 103 (Samsung and Pioneer) had a Subtitle button.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page