post #11581 of 19023 Old 09-06-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You're correct. I'm getting cinavia detection and prevention on Total Recall (2012) in MKV.

I don't know when this first appeared. I'll check M2TS.

The studio noose tightens.

-Bill
Oh... bummer!

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11582 of 19023 Old 09-06-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

The most recent firmware is 0808B, B for beta. You can use network firmware upgrade only for going from beta to beta, or from production to production. Else you need to use USB or disc.

-Bill
Thanks for the reply ! Is it a worth while FW Upgrade and any issues reported that you know of ? I've got the previous FW and has been working great for everything I use my 103 for .
post #11583 of 19023 Old 09-06-2013, 12:45 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

Thanks for the reply ! Is it a worth while FW Upgrade and any issues reported that you know of ? I've got the previous FW and has been working great for everything I use my 103 for .

It's not urgent if you are having no problems. This is our standard advice for all updates.

If you report problems then our first advice is "make sure you are running the latest firmware".

-Bill
post #11584 of 19023 Old 09-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

If it's anything like my experience with the Darblet it created not revealed them. At least it did the moment I applied it on top of the already contrast boosting processes via my display or HTPC.

The Darblet isn't for everyone. Some folks just do not like the image, period. It doesn't change the resolution or anything like that. it doesn't "boost" the contrast or change it - - it just enhances it. It makes the image look considerably sharper, but dimensionally it takes a huge leap forward. To me, the colors look fantastic - - brighter, sharper, more vivid. All this with no negative consequences to the image and without artifacts.

It definitely sharpens the image - especially for projectors. And, in response to your comment that the Darblet "created it," - - not in my opinion. The same "stubble" effect that I saw on the show when I was channel surfing is evident with other broadcasts. It truly does "lift the veil."

I do not use any HTPC in my setup, so we're probably not comparing apples to apples. But that's o.k. - - to each his own.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #11585 of 19023 Old 09-06-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Quote:

It's not urgent if you are having no problems. This is our standard advice for all updates.

If you report problems then our first advice is "make sure you are running the latest firmware".

-Bill
Makes sense and thanks again smile.gif
Ricker62 likes this.
post #11586 of 19023 Old 09-06-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Ok, at the risk of getting any HDMI 1 or 2 debate raging, I sent an email to Oppo just to see what kind of response I would get. Not having a unit yet, I can't comment one way or the other regarding Qdeo or chroma issues but I have read enough to know that enough folks on here say it's an issue. Before ordering, I just was curious what kind of response I'd get from Oppo.

"When using Source Direct the QDEO processor is still engage for things like Color Space conversion and a small amount of Noise Reduction which is always enabled on that output. But all de-interlacing, scaling, frame rate conversion and other processing is disabled.

The Chroma issue with HDMI 2 as resolved in the 59-0719 Firmware.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc."

The Qdeo on HDMI 1 was pretty much acknowledged long ago but what struck me was the last sentence stating the HDMI 2 chroma issue was fixed in firmware. Can anyone confirm that who has a unit and has tested the output with this firmware version?

Thanks

Chris
post #11587 of 19023 Old 09-06-2013, 02:07 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

The Darblet isn't for everyone. Some folks just do not like the image, period. It doesn't change the resolution or anything like that. it doesn't "boost" the contrast or change it - - it just enhances it. It makes the image look considerably sharper, but dimensionally it takes a huge leap forward. To me, the colors look fantastic - - brighter, sharper, more vivid. All this with no negative consequences to the image and without artifacts.

It definitely sharpens the image - especially for projectors. And, in response to your comment that the Darblet "created it," - - not in my opinion. The same "stubble" effect that I saw on the show when I was channel surfing is evident with other broadcasts. It truly does "lift the veil."

I do not use any HTPC in my setup, so we're probably not comparing apples to apples. But that's o.k. - - to each his own.

What is the difference between "boosting" and "enhancement"?

On a more general note (and no offence intended), is this thread the proper place to discuss the pros and cons of third party products?
post #11588 of 19023 Old 09-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPPOrtunist View Post

What is the difference between "boosting" and "enhancement"?

On a more general note (and no offence intended), is this thread the proper place to discuss the pros and cons of third party products?

I'm fine with addressing any Darblet comments on the Darbee Forum. Many folks have asked about the Darblet and how it works with the OPPO player. The basic response is that the better the source, the better the enhancement - - and I think the OPPO is the best Bluray Player on the market.

Perhaps I should have used the word "changing" versus "boosting." Either way - - the intent was to communicate that the source signal itself is not "changed" or altered (chroma or luma patterns). Obviously, enhancement is in the eyes of the viewer and whether it's an effect that you like with your OPPO player or not.

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #11589 of 19023 Old 09-06-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPPOrtunist View Post

Third party?

http://www.widescreenreview.com/news_detail.php?id=19959

post #11590 of 19023 Old 09-06-2013, 02:50 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Third party?

That's a different model. There will be a thread for it eventually (I presume), but until then, all darbee talk in the dedicated darbee thead, please.

-Bill
post #11591 of 19023 Old 09-06-2013, 03:00 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:

Third party?

As far as I can see, neither Darbee's nor Oppo's website contain anything concerning the possible cooperation between the two companies, let alone any specifics as to whether the 103D will be an official Oppo product or a license for Darbee to customize the player (or some other arrangement).
post #11592 of 19023 Old 09-06-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:

If it's anything like my experience with the Darblet it created not revealed them. At least it did the moment I applied it on top of the already contrast boosting processes via my display or HTPC.

We're getting off track here with talk about the Darblet that is better had in the Video Processors forum or the eventual OPPO 103D thread. However, I must point out that the Darblet cannot create detail that isn't present in the source. It merely accenuates what's already there. The better the source, the better the result. Unfortunately, if your image already suffers artifacts (such as from contrast boosting via another processor), it can accentuate those as well. I expect that you would have gotten better results if you'd turned off that extraneous processing before turning on the Darblet.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #11593 of 19023 Old 09-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

We're getting off track here with talk about the Darblet that is better had in the Video Processors forum or the eventual OPPO 103D thread. However, I must point out that the Darblet cannot create detail that isn't present in the source. It merely accenuates what's already there. The better the source, the better the result. Unfortunately, if your image already suffers artifacts (such as from contrast boosting via another processor), it can accentuate those as well. I expect that you would have gotten better results if you'd turned off that extraneous processing before turning on the Darblet.

I'll be at CEDIA Expo 2013 in Denver in a couple of weeks. Adam & Larry will be at the show with the BDP-103D (first public showing) with the Darblet in 4K, "OPPO" glory. I'll post on the Darbee site or the BDP-103D site when one gets created.

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #11594 of 19023 Old 09-06-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I expect that you would have gotten better results if you'd turned off that extraneous processing before turning on the Darblet.

Those extraneous processes were performing the identical function... hence the overkill when duplicated. One boost is more than enough... other wise it's torch mode. However, I did try each individually and the native tools looked as good or better. Once again why the third party device was overkill or not needed.

post #11595 of 19023 Old 09-06-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

Are you talking no Cinavia detection at all for MKV, or just over SMB? I have had MKV files played via USB where Cinavia did kick in and I got the popup and lost sound. The work around was to ReMux and remove the chapter references. Then it played fine with no interruption.

I'm not able to duplicate this with my own test files. IOW, no Cinavia detection in MKV or M2TS files, either via attached storage or SMB. They WILL trigger protection on a BDR disc, and of course in BDMV folders.
post #11596 of 19023 Old 09-06-2013, 05:10 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Ah, I missed the one in the front. But still - - that would look kind of messy running an HDMI cable from there. I would have designed it with two HDMI "in" connections on the back. That would really cover 90% of the HT setups - - satellite box & media player.
The one on the front is for convenience for those connecting a temporary source like a camera, phone and so on. I'd prefer both to be in the back too. Those that need one to always be handy can run a 6" or 1' HDMI extender cable which is preferred in my case since the "wear and tear" would be on the cable and not the port.

post #11597 of 19023 Old 09-06-2013, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I'm not able to duplicate this with my own test files. IOW, no Cinavia detection in MKV or M2TS files, either via attached storage or SMB. They WILL trigger protection on a BDR disc, and of course in BDMV folders.

I have been testing an MKV of Total Recall 2012 through SMB for more than 25 minutes without a problem with the latest beta firmware.
post #11598 of 19023 Old 09-06-2013, 06:38 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboileau View Post

I have been testing an MKV of Total Recall 2012 through SMB for more than 25 minutes without a problem with the latest beta firmware.

My test was an MKV on an optical disc. I'll try USB hard drive, SMB and DLNA tomorrow.

Checking cinavia can eat up your day.

-Bill
post #11599 of 19023 Old 09-06-2013, 09:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My test was an MKV on an optical disc. I'll try USB hard drive, SMB and DLNA tomorrow.

Checking cinavia can eat up your day.

-Bill

Optical discs ALWAYS cause Cinavia detection, even if its not a BDR. I've tested it on a DVD too, and got the same triggering.
post #11600 of 19023 Old 09-07-2013, 06:15 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Optical discs ALWAYS cause Cinavia detection, even if its not a BDR. I've tested it on a DVD too, and got the same triggering.

So this has been the case for a long time? Somehow that slipped by me. Usually I do the cinavia check from USB or over the network; I happened to try it from disc this time.

I'll verify the other modes today.

-Bill
post #11601 of 19023 Old 09-07-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So this has been the case for a long time?

-Bill

Far as I know, yes.
post #11602 of 19023 Old 09-07-2013, 08:42 AM

Liked: 12
Last evening, I was watching Netflix via the OPPO and quickly exited and changed to my HDMI in signal - there was no HDMI signal. I mention "quickly" simply because I wasn't giving much time between menu transitions and trying to get to some source material in a hurry (and think that may have something to do with the behavior exhibited). I then proceeded to do the following.

1) I checked the HDMI cable which was coming from my ATT Uverse receiver and verified that all was attached correctly (I even unplugged and plugged it back in to the OPPO). No HDMI signal.
2) I tried turning on and off the Uverse receiver (which is my HDMI in source). My Panasonic ZT60 kept informing me there was no HDMI signal (via Panny dialog box).
3) I tried turning on and off the television with no change.
4) I then tried turning on and off the OPPO. This is when I noticed that the OPPO static image came up when I switched to HDMI - this is the same image that shows when powered on (but goes away to the home screen) - this image was constant on HDMI in (I've never seen this happen before).
5) At that point I tried turning off all devices and turning them back on - still a constant and static OPPO image on HDMI.

Ultimately, I needed to take my dog for a walk and just turned everything off. About 20 minutes later I came back and all was good. Damn poltergeists!

Has anyone seen this behavior before? I've never had this problem until now.
post #11603 of 19023 Old 09-07-2013, 09:08 AM

Liked: 18
I am getting a 103 delivered today smile.gif but my controller died last night.mad.gif

Until it is repaired I am planning on running all the MCH analog outputs of the 103 directly to my amps and controlling volume via the103's remote control.

I have searched this thread to see if there are any issues running it this way and haven't found anything.

Does anyone know of any concerns running my system this way?

Just want to be sure before I move ahead.

Thanks, great thread btw.

Mitsubishi WD73-742, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo 3.1/ Reference AV center/ Adiva-ti surrounds, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Toshiba HD-A3. Roku XS

"All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."

post #11604 of 19023 Old 09-07-2013, 09:17 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repdetect View Post

I am getting a 103 delivered today smile.gif but my controller died last night.mad.gif

Until it is repaired I am planning on running all the MCH analog outputs of the 103 directly to my amps and controlling volume via the103's remote control.

I have searched this thread to see if there are any issues running it this way and haven't found anything.

You want Output Volume set the Variable and make sure the volume is not at 100% the first time you play something. Dial it way down. Note that Reset Factory Default sets the volume to 100% so exercise the same caution when doing that.

-Bill
post #11605 of 19023 Old 09-07-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:

You want Output Volume set the Variable and make sure the volume is not at 100% the first time you play something. Dial it way down. Note that Reset Factory Default sets the volume to 100% so exercise the same caution when doing that.

-Bill

I'll dial it down right after I plug it in and before I power amps up. Could be scary scenario otherwise.

Thanks much Bill.

Mitsubishi WD73-742, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo 3.1/ Reference AV center/ Adiva-ti surrounds, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Toshiba HD-A3. Roku XS

post #11606 of 19023 Old 09-07-2013, 11:07 AM

Does the 103's analog sub out likely have enough level to drive 2 subs if it is Y'ed out ?

Sub Amp (200w rms) input sensitivity is 1.8V ( for 8 ohms) gain 29db and Input impedance of 23.5k ohms.

post #11607 of 19023 Old 09-07-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffeen View Post

Last evening, I was watching Netflix via the OPPO and quickly exited and changed to my HDMI in signal - there was no HDMI signal. I mention "quickly" simply because I wasn't giving much time between menu transitions and trying to get to some source material in a hurry (and think that may have something to do with the behavior exhibited). I then proceeded to do the following.

1) I checked the HDMI cable which was coming from my ATT Uverse receiver and verified that all was attached correctly (I even unplugged and plugged it back in to the OPPO). No HDMI signal.
2) I tried turning on and off the Uverse receiver (which is my HDMI in source). My Panasonic ZT60 kept informing me there was no HDMI signal (via Panny dialog box).
3) I tried turning on and off the television with no change.
4) I then tried turning on and off the OPPO. This is when I noticed that the OPPO static image came up when I switched to HDMI - this is the same image that shows when powered on (but goes away to the home screen) - this image was constant on HDMI in (I've never seen this happen before).
5) At that point I tried turning off all devices and turning them back on - still a constant and static OPPO image on HDMI.

Ultimately, I needed to take my dog for a walk and just turned everything off. About 20 minutes later I came back and all was good. Damn poltergeists!

Has anyone seen this behavior before? I've never had this problem until now.

The name of the game with electronics is to let it complete its functions. Don't force "quick" exits or anything like that. Those usually cause hang-ups, freezing or a pissed off unit. Let it do its thing and everyone will be happy.

Life without bass is not worth living.
post #11608 of 19023 Old 09-07-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sit back and enjoy some good sound. Just make sure the volume is turned down as wmcclain said. My 105 is direct-to-amp and I love it.

post #11609 of 19023 Old 09-07-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does the 103's analog sub out likely have enough level to drive 2 subs if it is Y'ed out ?

Sub Amp (200w rms) input sensitivity is 1.8V ( for 8 ohms) gain 29db and Input impedance of 23.5k ohms.

Yes.

post #11610 of 19023 Old 09-07-2013, 11:35 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

Are you talking no Cinavia detection at all for MKV, or just over SMB? I have had MKV files played via USB where Cinavia did kick in and I got the popup and lost sound. The work around was to ReMux and remove the chapter references. Then it played fine with no interruption.

After some testing this is what I see:

• Cinavia is NOT detected in MKV files on USB storage, or over SMB or DLNA.
  • Cinavia is detected in MKV files on optical disc.

Apparently this has been true for some time. If you are seeing something else, please let us know the details.

As I always warn people (stressing I am without any inside knowledge) this will not get better in the future.

-Bill
obonillaf and lanping09 like this.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page