Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ DSD is a digital audio format. It is never present on Analog audio connections. When you play an SACD (which is DSD digital data on disc), you have a choice of having the DSD converted directly to Analog for output, or going through the intermediate step of converting to LPCM first -- another digital format -- before conversion to Analog for output. Going through the LPCM step -- the normal way to do it -- allows the OPPO to do all its normal audio processing on the Analog output -- stuff like down-mixing.

I don't understand why you are trying to make this so complicated. Now you want to have the Headphones amp *ALSO* output to your AVR? Meh. Just use HDMI audio to the AVR to drive your normal speakers and use the stereo Analog output configuration to the Headphones amp to drive just the Headphones
--Bob

As always, thanks for your help. My only interest was in seeing if the "Tube" effect is a warmer sound than the "Digital" sound. (Or a combination of digital/tube). That was the only reason for the output to the AVR. I wasn't trying to make it complicated. Thx again.

Well I don't know anything about your tube-based Headphones amp, but if it provides "line level" outputs -- suitable for connection to a Stereo Analog input pair on your AVR -- odds are those are just pass-through anyway. I.e., not even going through the tube-based amplifier output stage that drives its Headphones jack.

If you meant you wanted to connect the Headphones output of that Headphones amp to an input of your AVR, you'd better spend some time looking at the output specs compared to what the AVR is prepared to accept as input. This is not a normal way to use the output of any amp. I.e., you don't normally connect an amp's "amplified" output to ANYTHING'S "line level" inputs.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11882 of 17729 Old 09-23-2013, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

You have to use the hdmi output on the receiver to see the osd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post

How would the OSD for your receiver get to the TV, given how you are hooked up?
HDMI video connections go in one direction and you have two cables. (Audio CAN go the other way with ARC - but we will ignore that for now. It is not relevant to this issue)
One cable is carrying video from the Oppo to the Receiver
The other cable is carrying video from the Oppo to the TV

So, there is no video path from the Receiver to the TV.
Hence - any video that originates at or passes through the receiver has no way to get to the TV.
OSD for the Onkyo originates on the Onkyo.

You have a couple of choices:
1) Bag the second connection from the Oppo and route the video from the Oppo THROUGH the receiver, (so hook Oppo to receiver and then receiver to TV)
OR
2) Add yet another connection from receiver to another input on the TV, and then you will get the OSD on another input to your TV.
This is very clunky, since you will have to switch inputs on the TV to see the OSD.

Ok, thanks guys. I finally figured it out. My old age is playing tricks on me....sort of!biggrin.gif

I have the OPPO set for HDMI A/V split. HDMI 1 goes to the TV (Input 6) and HDMI 2 going to the receiver. I also have the FIOS box going to the receiver then the receiver to the TV (input 4).
The Harmony remote switches the input on the TV depending on which activity I start ---- TV HDMI input 4 for FIOS and TV HDMI input 6 for the OPPO. Well apparently the Harmony isn't switching the TV input all the time and Input 4 was being used for both most times.
So it makes sense when TV input 4 is used both video and audio from the OPPO is passing through the receicer then to the TV..... and the receiver OSD would work on the TV.
As so as I switched the TV to input 6 the OSD wouldn't show on the TV.
I'll just have to be careful and make sure the TV inputs switch when using the Harmony.....it's an old age thing.

I know it sounds confusing but at least with your help I figured out what was going on!

Thanks again guys.

John
post #11883 of 17729 Old 09-23-2013, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Well I don't know anything about your tube-based Headphones amp, but if it provides "line level" outputs -- suitable for connection to a Stereo Analog input pair on your AVR -- odds are those are just pass-through anyway. I.e., not even going through the tube-based amplifier output stage that drives its Headphones jack.

If you meant you wanted to connect the Headphones output of that Headphones amp to an input of your AVR, you'd better spend some time looking at the output specs compared to what the AVR is prepared to accept as input. This is not a normal way to use the output of any amp. I.e., you don't normally connect an amp's "amplified" output to ANYTHING'S "line level" inputs.
--Bob

Bob - - it's a "Line Out" as pictured below. It says it can be connected to another amp - - hence my thought of connecting it to the AVR and then out to my amplifier.

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #11884 of 17729 Old 09-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ That should work, but as I said, it will likely just be "pass through" no special goodness applied to the signal on the way.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11885 of 17729 Old 09-23-2013, 11:45 PM

Liked: 19
I posted this on the BDP-105 thread also but no definitive answer.

I know DSD files can play from USB stick but Can they be played on DVD-r media too (like wave/flac files can) ??
I want to upgrade from a BDP-93 to 105 (in silver) but my SACD-r discs will not play on the 103/105 with latest firmware etc.
I can convert the SACD .iso files to dsd files but want to be able to burn them to a DVD.

Can someone with a 103 confirm or deny ??

Thanks
Todd
post #11886 of 17729 Old 09-24-2013, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^ That should work, but as I said, it will likely just be "pass through" no special goodness applied to the signal on the way.
--Bob

Thanks, Bob. The idea is to use a "Tube Buffer" along your chain. Digital Source >> DAC >> Tube Buffer >> Power Amp(s) >> Speakers. The Bravo Ocean headphone amplifier passes the stereo signal to a pair of MOSFETs for power amplification.

From what I've been reading - - you have to be careful about excessive gain - so you do not crank up the volume, very much, on the Bravo amplifier. It's not the perfect setup but it is worth experimenting with.

I'm glad that I will soon have the ability to use headphones again - - something that was missed for late night listening.

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #11887 of 17729 Old 09-24-2013, 07:09 AM

New firmware solves audio lag problem.
Have my Fios hd recorder connected directly to the OPPO. This permits the Oppo to be the sound source for my Zvox soundbar rather than the Panny GT50 - a huge advantage.
After a couple of hours I would have to flip inputs to resynch the audio with the picture. It got pretty band during the US Open tennis when the sound of the ball hitting the racket was clearly not in sync.
After installing the new firmware from a disc this issue is completely resolved
post #11888 of 17729 Old 09-24-2013, 11:12 AM

Hello.
Two months ago I have the Oppo-103 and am very happy with its image quality. But there is a serious problem not solved and introduced with their latest firmware. Not play mkv at 24fps, 60 fps only. This produces jerks in many of the movies that I have in mkv. I begin to fear that is not a bug, but it is introduced to limit the use of mkv. It is very rare that two months are not able to solve something that worked in previous firmware.
I would like to know your opinion.

Best Regards.
post #11889 of 17729 Old 09-24-2013, 11:29 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamichidts View Post

Hello.
Two months ago I have the Oppo-103 and am very happy with its image quality. But there is a serious problem not solved and introduced with their latest firmware. Not play mkv at 24fps, 60 fps only. This produces jerks in many of the movies that I have in mkv. I begin to fear that is not a bug, but it is introduced to limit the use of mkv. It is very rare that two months are not able to solve something that worked in previous firmware.
I would like to know your opinion.

Best Regards.

Welcome to AVSForum.

This has been discussed here and reported to OPPO. They say they are working on a fix.

-Bill
post #11890 of 17729 Old 09-24-2013, 11:47 AM

Thank you very much for your welcome and your reply.

I also I have asked and I have answered that they are trying to solve.

The truth is that in the two months since the last one was firmware August is a month of vacation.

I hope it gets fixed soon, I think it is a serious problem that should resolve as soon as possible or allow a return to the previous firmware where it was not this bug.

Best regards.
post #11891 of 17729 Old 09-24-2013, 12:30 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamichidts View Post

Thank you very much for your welcome and your reply.

I also I have asked and I have answered that they are trying to solve.

The truth is that in the two months since the last one was firmware August is a month of vacation.

I hope it gets fixed soon, I think it is a serious problem that should resolve as soon as possible or allow a return to the previous firmware where it was not this bug.

Best regards.

The solution until then is to play the original discs rather than your backups.

-Bill
post #11892 of 17729 Old 09-25-2013, 02:57 AM

Quote:
This has been discussed here and reported to OPPO. They say they are working on a fix.

-Bill

I was told by one of the Oppo support members via email they have fixed that and the new (fixed) firmware is coming next month. One would say, finally.

There is nothing in the desert and no man needs nothing.
post #11893 of 17729 Old 09-25-2013, 10:50 AM

Liked: 11
I've got an Oppo BDP-103 and a Samsung PN60F8500 on the way, and I'm wanting to get all of the setup research out of the way before it arrives next weekend.

It seems like there are some overlapping features, such as smooth conversion from 24fps sources to 30/60fps. Are there any instances where one of them is much better at its job, and should defintely be the one enabled, or are the two pretty similar in their functionality?

By the way, I want to get as close as possible to reference, so I won't be enabling all of the unnecessary "features" that interfere with the true picture.

Thanks!
post #11894 of 17729 Old 09-25-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Disable all your TV's post processing options for the HDMI input your Oppo will be connected to!

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #11895 of 17729 Old 09-26-2013, 02:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Can anyone tell me if this player has enhanced their OTA pic quality on last years Panasonic ST/GT/VT 50 series Panasonic plasmas? I have the 65ST50 and the de-interlacing and scaling done by my set on OTA channels (don't have cable/ satellite) is nothing to write home about. I'm seriously considering purchasing the 103 just for the video processing capabilities alone.

Thanks!

My setup:

Panasonic 65ST50-> Darbee Darblet-> Base Tivo Roamio and Panny BD-220 blu ray player (which the 103 will replace).
post #11896 of 17729 Old 09-26-2013, 02:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

Can anyone tell me if this player has enhanced their OTA pic quality on last years Panasonic ST/GT/VT 50 series Panasonic plasmas?
Feeding any 720p/1080i HD source into the 103's external HDMI input in order to get video processing plus upconvert-to-1080p for feeding your HDTV produces WONDERFUL RESULTS.

But you have to feed your source INTO the external inputs of the 103. So if you had a DVR or OTA/ATSC tuner that would work. And you'd get TERRIFIC improvement from the 1080p sent to your Panny vs. sending "native" 720p/1080i to the Panny and letting it do whatever it does to self-optimzie the display that source.

Quote:
Panasonic 65ST50-> Darbee Darblet-> Base Tivo Roamio and Panny BD-220 blu ray player (which the 103 will replace).
I don't understand how you will be able to use the external HDMI inputs of the 103 to accomplish your objective, with the 103 placed where you propose it.

The source needs to go into the external HDMI inputs of the 103, and then its HDMI-1 output feeds the HDTV (or goes through an AVR to the HDTV). So you can't be using the OTA/ATSC tuner of your Panny as the source on the left, and also then feed the output of the 103 on the right TO the Panny for display. The Panny can't be both the source tuner and destination display at the same time.

Nevertheless, if you can figure out how to feed your OTA/ATSC channels into the 103's external HDMi inputs, you will REALLY be happy with the HDMI-1 output (video processed and upconverted to 1080p) of the 103 going to your Panny for display.
post #11897 of 17729 Old 09-26-2013, 03:00 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks! How about doing the set up this way:

Panasonic 65ST50-> Oppo HDMI 1. Oppo HDMI 2-> Base OTA Tivo Roamio DVR

Does this sound about right? Now I gotta just figure out where to put the Darbee in this mix.

Edit: I think the darbee goes right between my set and the Oppo HDMI 1 so the final configuration would maybe look like this?

Panasonic 65ST50-> Darbee-> Oppo HDMI 1. Oppo HDMI 2-> Base OTA Tivo Roamio DVR
post #11898 of 17729 Old 09-26-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 279
It would be Tivo in to Oppo HDMI IN Back, HDMI 1 out of Oppo to Darbee, then Darbee out to TV.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200
post #11899 of 17729 Old 09-26-2013, 09:12 AM

Currently I have an LG BDP530. If I am wanting better picture quality an daudio quality, is the 103 worth the upgrade?

What differences will I be able to see?
post #11900 of 17729 Old 09-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

It would be Tivo in to Oppo HDMI IN Back, HDMI 1 out of Oppo to Darbee, then Darbee out to TV.

I think that's exactly how I was envisioning it. I noticed that you have the 65VT50. Do you notice a huge difference in PQ using the 103 doing the scaling and de-interlacing vs the set itself? The GT50 and VT50 have a "1080p pure direct" mode that bypasses processing when fed a 4:4:4 signal making it ideal for the 103 but the ST50 doesn't. Does this even matter?
post #11901 of 17729 Old 09-26-2013, 10:57 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

I think that's exactly how I was envisioning it.
Just FYI, the difference was you were listing it as destination to source. Usually, things get listed source to destination as it's more in line with how things work (and therefore easier to follow).
post #11902 of 17729 Old 09-26-2013, 02:30 PM

I recently read that folks are using the new oppo players to achieve better image quality than a cable box yields. I may be old school but I thought not messing with the source yields the best results... My current path is comcast dvr (XC1-P) => marantz av7005 => panasonic AE7000U and would happily upgrade the oppo and feed the comcast DVR signal into a new oppo _if_ the image quality is better. I have all the image "enhancements" turned off in the av7005 so the signal is pass through and only watch hd channels.. Thoughts/suggestions welcome :-) Thanks
post #11903 of 17729 Old 09-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

General question - - what are you supposed to set the "volume" level to on the OPPO 103? Max out at 100%? A little less?

Any sonic difference (gain?) with various settings being used with an AVR/Pre-Amp/Amplifier or headphone amplifier?

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #11904 of 17729 Old 09-26-2013, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can anyone confirm if the 103 supports Netfilx "Super HD"? I ask because I saw this article today and wondered if it was one of the supporting units.

The Oppo site states about Netflix, "Selected titles support features including 1080p video, 5.1ch audio, subtitles and alternative audio languages", but doesn't mention "Super HD" nor does a search thru this thread result in any mentions...
post #11905 of 17729 Old 09-26-2013, 02:52 PM
Read the FAQ!

Ricoflashback,
When connecting to a pre-amp, the normal setting for Analog Volume is 100. You can also set "Fixed" in Setup, which will keep you from accidentally changing it. Fixed locks Volume at 100, however Mute still functions.

Then you do your real Volume control using the pre-amp's own control.

There are some folks who've discovered their pre-amp can't handle the voltage the OPPO puts out (i.e., insufficient "head room" in the pre-amp's input) -- the input on the pre-amp "clips", leading to distortion. If you discover that -- and some pre-amps will have a level indication showing that's happening -- then you can lower Analog Volume on the OPPO until that stops happening. Start by reducing your Analog output speaker Volume Trim settings (in Speaker Configuration) an equal amount for all of them so that none of them are above 0dB -- i.e,. all the trims are 0dB or negative values. If you need to reduce Volume even further to avoid clipping your pre-amp, then do that with the Analog Volume control (set to "Variable" in Setup).
--Bob

post #11906 of 17729 Old 09-26-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercw2 View Post

Saw this article today (http://*******/19Knz1q) and wondered if the 103 was one of the BR that was capable.

the Oppo site states, "Selected titles support features including 1080p video, 5.1ch audio, subtitles and alternative audio languages." but doesn't use Netflix's "super HD" wording.. and a search of this thread doesn't bring up any results.
IMHO I don't believe any BD vendor uses the Netflix's "super HD" term. But if you had a BDP-103 and that higher stream was supported by your ISP then you would see it in the Netflix GUI.

Oppo Beta Group
post #11907 of 17729 Old 09-26-2013, 03:06 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercw2 View Post

Can anyone confirm if the 103 supports Netfilx "Super HD"? I ask because I saw this article today and wondered if it was one of the supporting units.

The Oppo site states about Netflix, "Selected titles support features including 1080p video, 5.1ch audio, subtitles and alternative audio languages", but doesn't mention "Super HD" nor does a search thru this thread result in any mentions...
The answer is yes, the 103 and 105 will receive the "Super HD" bit rate streams if Netflix has enabled them through your ISP. However the on-screen Info continues to show "1080 HD" instead of "Super HD".

This is how it has been working for some time for people reporting who happened to be using ISPs that met Netflix' earlier requirements for pairing with their Content Delivery Network.
--Bob

post #11908 of 17729 Old 09-26-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 72
This bit of very recent news is related to the above question.

Netflix expands Super HD and 3D streaming to all of its members
Quote:
Prepare for your Netflix streams to look better: Netflix is making its Super HD video quality available to all of its members. All members will also have access to 3D titles on Netflix. Both 3D and Super HD were previously only available to members whose ISPs peered with Netflix or placed the company’s Open Connect caching hardware within their networks.
Super HD streams are essentially 1080p HD streams with less compression, which should make for a better picture quality. Netflix recommends that members have at least 7 Mbps of bandwidth available for best results, but the company also serves a less-demanding Super HD version that only requires around 5 Mbps of bandwidth. 3D streams can require up to 12 Mbps of bandwidth, according to Netflix.
Netflix’s 3D catalog is thought to be small, but the company has been looking to offer higher-quality HD streams for a substantial number of the movies and TV shows it has been adding to its catalog, and obviously Netflix-exclusive content like House of Cards is available in Super HD as well.
Netflix first launched these higher-bitrate HD streams in January, and at the time only made it available to customers whose ISPs were using Open Connect. Customers without access to Super HD and 3D streaming were encouraged to contact their ISP and ask for it.
This kind of public petitioning didn’t go over well with everyone, and Time Warner Cable even alleged that Netflix was violating net neutrality principles — a somewhat ironic charge in light of various efforts by ISPs to get content providers to pay for the videos their customers are consuming.
By making Super HD and 3D available to everyone, Netflix has arguably one less carrot in its arsenal to convince ISPs to adapt Open Connect — but the company hasn’t given up completely on the idea to make this more of a public issue. Netflix is continuing to expand its monthly ISP ratings, which highlight the average speed its customers see on various ISP networks.
I think there are a whole bunch of us, sick and tired of various ISP's resistance to Netflix's to Open Connect caching hardware within their networks, now we don't have to worry. cool.gif

Anyway no problems with using a BDP-103/105 against higher speed streams.

Oppo Beta Group
post #11909 of 17729 Old 09-26-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

This bit of very recent news is related to the above question.

Netflix expands Super HD and 3D streaming to all of its members
I think there are a whole bunch of us, sick and tired of various ISP's resistance to Netflix's to Open Connect caching hardware within their networks, now we don't have to worry. cool.gif

Anyway no problems with using a BDP-103/105 against higher speed streams.

What this probably means is that Netflix has had time to expand their capacity to handle more demand via the "normal" pathways. It does not mean however that ISPs have made any improvements, or that they won't still be futzing with Netflix traffic to lower the load.
post #11910 of 17729 Old 09-26-2013, 04:12 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankof View Post

I may be old school but I thought not messing with the source yields the best results... My current path is comcast dvr (XC1-P) => marantz av7005 => panasonic AE7000U and would happily upgrade the oppo and feed the comcast DVR signal into a new oppo _if_ the image quality is better.
TV is either 1080i or 720p. Your projector displays 1080p. So the image has to be either deinterlaced or scaled to get to 1080p. That either happens in your DVR, the projector / TV, or a device that's between the 2. So it boils down to whether the Oppo deinterlaces and/or scales better than your projector or DVR does. For the Oppo to make an improvement, your DVR either needs to support native output (where it outputs 1080i or 720p depending on the channel) or you would need to manually switch the output mode as needed when changing channels.

Keep in mind that the Oppo always turns on to the Bluray player input, so you would need to manually switch it to the HDMI input for your DVR every time you want to turn your system on and watch TV (or use a programmable remote that can use a macro to switch it for you).
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page