post #91 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
↑↑↑

Hmmmm......

I would like to think that (hardware permitting) there is a way for Oppo to revise the firmware to permit processing of "protected" content. Consumer AVR's and dedicated video processors have this ability so it will be interesting to see what Oppo has to say.

I'd suggest contacting Oppo directly about this while also assuming that beta testers have observed the same behavior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 852
There's something else going on here. There's nothing different running the DirecTV through the OPPO than running it through any AVR that might be placed between the DirecTV box and the TV itself.

If you have a TV that supports copy protection (i.e., has an HDMI input), then the entire path from the DirecTV through the OPPO to the display is protected so there should be no complaint.

Now, the handshake protocol that makes this happen is complicated, so there could be a bug in the DirecTV box, or in the OPPO. The DirecTV has to be able to handle what's called "repeater processing" in the handshake to detect what's going on with the TV on the other side of the OPPO and to satisfy itself that the connection is safe against copying.

Please get in touch with OPPO Tech Support with the details so they can help diagnose this.

If you have any OTHER electronics in that HDMI path -- anything at all -- try again with that removed.

It is also possible for marginal HDMI cables to cause a copy protection failure.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #93 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 09:52 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregDMorris View Post

Is this a limitation of Network playback on the BDP-103 or is there a way to enable playback across all audio files on the NAS while retaining my current directory structure?

Just to confirm: you are using SMB to access the NAS and not DLNA?

-Bill
post #94 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The error message occurred only in a handful of movie channels, ie HBO and showtime. I have not seen this error in any other channels (but I have only had the 103 for two days) including other channels broadcasting a movie on Directv.
post #95 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Yes, that's because only those channels enforce copy protection.

There's no reason this should fail, so something else is going on.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #96 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 10:03 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregDMorris View Post

Is this a limitation of Network playback on the BDP-103 or is there a way to enable playback across all audio files on the NAS while retaining my current directory structure?

Just to confirm: you are using SMB to access the NAS and not DLNA?

-Bill

Just checked and you're correct about SMB: using a Samba server I see only the directory structure with no sorting options in the player. I don't know if all servers give the same result.

-Bill
post #97 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 10:09 AM

Well I have sent an email to Oppo Technical support asking for their assistance, since I have not seen this glitch before. I have had directv and my tv for several years.
post #98 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sta363 View Post

Well I have sent an email to Oppo Technical support asking for their assistance, since I have not seen this glitch before. I have had directv and my tv for several years.

If you feel like trying an experiment, please try the following:

Go into the settings in your DirecTV box and look for a setting that controls the type of digital audio output it produces. There will likely be a choice between PCM and Bitstream (perhaps called Dolby Digital). The Bitstream (or Dolby Digital) setting is likely what you have now, as that is the normal choice.

If so, please try changing that to PCM and try those problem channels again. NOTE: If this works, you will only get stereo audio. But this is just for diagnostic purposes as opposed to a permanent fix.
--Bob

post #99 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 10:39 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Just checked and you're correct about SMB: using a Samba server I see only the directory structure with no sorting options in the player. I don't know if all servers give the same result.
-Bill

Yes, I am using SMB. My NAS is a Drobo FS which utilizes SMB. So I guess that this is a limitation of SMB with the player.
post #100 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 10:46 AM

Received my player yesterday. Heads up! if you don't request delivery confirmation/signature, Fedex will drop the box off at your front door and the box pretty much says what it is (unless you request double boxing). So, I'd recommend to either request double boxing or signature. Fedex does send you an email as soon as it is delivered, so I asked teh SO, who works nearby to move it inside the house.

Setting up this player was pretty boring to be honest. It just worked! Even connected to the network without asking... (cabled though). It was probably content, but the blu-ray disc I tried had the best black levels I've ever seen on my Elite 60". I mean I could see textures that I did not know where there before (SO agreed btw).

My player is very silent! You can hear it spinning up immediately after closing the tray with a new disc, but once it is playing it, I hear nothing. This is the most underrated quality of a Blu-Ray player IMO.

The only thing that i thought mildly exciting was figuring out how to exit some of the apps such as pandora and Netflix. The exit button did nothing; nor did any of the menu buttons. BTW, was impressed by VUDU interface and video quality; will prob use the service when I *must* watch something ASAP.

I use the URC R40 universal remote and it contains Oppo codes. It does work with the basic functions, but others don't seem to be working. I'm sure I'll have to make it learn the app buttons anyway, so no biggie.

Anyway, extremely happy with my purchase. Now I have to find a set of bookshelf speakers to match... smile.gif
lanping09 likes this.
post #101 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

Well one of the reasons I got the 103 is because you can upscale a Directv feed from 720/1080i to 1080p for viewing by running the directv via hdmi directly to the 103 hdmi input and then out to the TV. (Cant do this with the 93 I have heard). I did not realize that you could not upscale an HBO show for example, even though it is not broadcast in 1080p to begin with and this does not involve an issue of copying anything. I am simply trying to take advantage of the 103's ability to upscale for viewing.

Disconnect the analog video cables and try it with only the HDMI connected to the Oppo. DTV receivers balk at having both analog and HDMI connected at the same time.
post #102 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 385
I would add I have this issue with DirecTV when running it through a one year old Pioneer receiver and sometimes when its HDMI directly to the display - Sony. I don't think the finger can be pointed at Oppo for this one. I turn the receiver off and on it will clear, but not always. This started happening after one of the DTV software updates to my DVR about 6 months ago, I don't have the issue with an older DTV HD receiver.
post #103 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 11:22 AM

Just got my 103 from FedEx yesterday afternoon. Only took a minute or two to get setup (it essentially took the place of my BDP-93 in my equipment rack). Didn't get a chance to do too much with it, but just from the initial setup/etc, it is *significantly* faster than the 93. (to be honest, I always thought the 93 was a little clunky in it's response time in navigating setup menus/discs/etc.) Got the network setup in just a minute using the wireless dongle (it even picked up my neighbor's wi-fi and half the time my laptop doesn't even see that, so I was impressed by that) I know a few people seem to have had issues with external HDDs, but the same ones I've used with my 93 worked flawlessly. Tried out a couple of .MKVs and some audio files and everything worked as expected.

Haven't tried out the DVD upconversion yet, but christened disc playback with the "Iron Sky" Blu-Ray smile.gif (a movie that most people will either completely love or completely hate) Certainly not a great looking disc (from a PQ standpoint), but just got it from Amazon the day before and wanted to watch. I'll have to try with a higher-quality disc tonight.

Also, it looks like the Harmony database does correctly recognize the different remote codes (once you get it to learn a discrete command from the native remote using the alternate code), as I've now got both my 93 and 103 in the same rack and they're working independently of each other when I use my Harmony One. So that was one potential issue that ended up not being a problem for me.
post #104 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 11:52 AM

Liked: 13
Hi Everyone! I'm not a owner yet but plan on purchasing soon, so I figured this would be the place to post my question. I would like to ask if any one has any experience with the picture quality and up-conversion of the PS3 Fat compared to the Oppo? I'm currently running a Panny 65GT50 and the PS3 as the BR player. My main concern are Blu Rays but I do still have a collection of about 200 DVD's so up-conversion is still a factor! If anyone has experience with my equipment or thoughts it would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!
post #105 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 11:59 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindamood View Post

Wow, three pages in and no pics yet?? wink.gif

Fixed

Oppo10301.jpg
Oppo10302.jpg
Oppo10303.jpg
lanping09 and Ricker62 like this.
post #106 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I hooked up my 103 and get the ground loop hum. Put one of the 2 pin cheater plugs on it and fixed the hum. I did NOT have this with my 103. Anyone know why I have it now?
post #107 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

I hooked up my 103 and get the ground loop hum. Put one of the 2 pin cheater plugs on it and fixed the hum. I did NOT have this with my 103. Anyone know why I have it now?

Unlike previous Oppos, the 103 has a grounded power supply. Why you're getting a hum is anyone's guess.
post #108 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

The single most common source of ground loop garbage is voltage that comes in along the cable shield of a cable TV or satellite TV feed wire. Start by disconnecting that feed wire where it comes out of the wall. If the hum goes away, then that's the culprit. Fix the grounding where that feed wire enters your house.

If that's not it, then the next most likely reason is that you are using multiple circuits for your wall outlets and they are not all at the same ground potential. Temporarily turn off all but one circuit breaker for the outlets feeding your home theater and plug everything you need to test into that one remaining circuit (which may power more than one wall outlet). You may need to turn things on one at a time to avoid popping that breaker. If that fixes the problem then get the electrician back and explain that you need to have all the wall outlets at the same ground potential.

There's a very easy way for that to go wrong. There are two hookups possible for each circuit breaker, and it is often the case that the two choices are at different ground potential. If the breakers are one above the other in a typical box then they are connected to the two separate rails. Just ask the electrician to move the breaker(s) so they are all on the same rail, and check that the wall outlets you use are now all at the same ground potential.

If that's not it, then check the Hum & Hiss FAQ in the audio theory forum here for other things to try.

Ground loop garbage is interference that is present on the cable shields of the cables connecting your equipment. It hops from device to device (they don't even have to be turned on) trying to find a path back to ground. When it does, current flows and you get symptoms like 60Hz power line hum. Evidently the 3rd prong on the 103's power cord provided the last link in the path back to ground. The cheater plug is not a solution. You should ferret out and fix the REAL source of the garbage current.
--Bob

post #109 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 01:30 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

This has nothing to do with the 103. All HBO, Showtime and many other premium cable/satellite channels and pay-per-view movies and other invents carry DRM flags that prevent playing or recording through anything but the device that the material is licensed for (such as the satellite set-top box). To the DRM flag in the HBO material, it appears you are trying to record or copy that material in HD since the flags assume that any HDMI out from the cable or satellite box is a copying attempt. Using component or composite cables might allow the material to be transmitted but at reduced resolution (480i).
I respectably 100% DISAGREE. This has EVERYTHING to do with the 103! I can pass these shows through various other devices, receivers, switchers, darblets. This functionality from the 103 is one of the main reasons why I bought one!
post #110 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Just a quick update to something that was suggested in the anticipation thread....

I can confirm that I was able to mount a BR iso image on my NAS and navigate to it via SMB and it plays as if it was a physical disc. smile.gif
post #111 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post

I respectably 100% DISAGREE. This has EVERYTHING to do with the 103! I can pass these shows through various other devices, receivers, switchers, darblets. This functionality from the 103 is one of the main reasons why I bought one!

And are you having a problem? How do you have things hooked up?
--Bob

post #112 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 01:38 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

Just a quick update to something that was suggested in the anticipation thread....

I can confirm that I was able to mount a BR iso image on my NAS and navigate to it via SMB and it plays as if it was a physical disc. smile.gif

What sort of NAS is it? What utility do you use to do that?

I've done this with the Linux "mount" command on a Samba server but we've had no success reports on a Windows server yet.

-Bill
post #113 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post

Fixed
Oppo10302.jpg
Excellent - thanks! And nice system, btw.

Brad
post #114 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

And are you having a problem? How do you have things hooked up?
--Bob
Bob,
I will report back after I have finalized my hook ups and checked all of my cables, darblets, switchers, etc.
post #115 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:

MORE DETAILS!!!!! I would love to be able to retire my 93 from ISO duty...
post #116 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What sort of NAS is it? What utility do you use to do that?
Quote:

MORE DETAILS!!!!! I would love to be able to retire my 93 from ISO duty...
It was pretty simple. I'm using a very inexpensive Synology DS212j NAS (running their DSM 4.1 OS, a form of Linux). All I had to do was copy the ISO to the NAS and then using the NAS's killer HTML 5 "desktop" web interface I clicked "mount" at which point it asked for the desired folder location. The whole thing showed up as advertised and played (with menus, ect.) on the 103 when navigating to the virtual location via SMB.

THAT ALL SAID....

As mentioned earlier in this thread I am experiencing "stuttering" when viewing HD files via SMB while the identical content in a MKV container (1080p H.264/LPCM 5.1) plays perfectly via DLNA from the NAS's default media server. This experiment with ISO was no different. I suspect that I still need to either tweak some settings on the NAS (or buy a faster one) but it looks like the concept of ISO via SMB has potential.
lanping09 likes this.
post #117 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:

Hmmmm.....I think I'm gonna chalk this one up to my admittedly low-powered NAS.
I just tried BD folders via SMB/CIFS instead of MKV with the same poor result. Since the exact content works in a MKV container via DLNA I'm thinking my NAS is handling the streaming differently between DLNA and SMB/CIFS.
Out of curiosity what are you using for your SMB/CIFS server?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

A Windows PC, sometimes my Dune player's HDD. (Dune acts as a NAS)

rdgrimes, I'm having a similar stuttering (read unwatchable) issue connecting from my 103 to an SMB share on a Windows 7 PC. The network is Gigabit, but the 103 is 100 Mb. Viewing the same share from a different Win 7 PC, I can play non-compressed MKVs and BD Folders with no stuttering. Also, if I connect the media drive directly to the 103, it plays the content very well. All connections are LAN/wired.

Any ideas why you have no issues using a Windows 7 PC for SMB and I do?

Thanks
post #118 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 02:05 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

It was pretty simple. I'm using a very inexpensive Synology DS212j NAS (running their DSM 4.1 OS, a form of Linux). All I had to do was copy the ISO to the NAS and then using the NAS's killer HTML 5 "desktop" web interface I clicked "mount" at which point it asked for the desired folder location. The whole thing showed up as advertised and played (with menus, ect.) on the 103 when navigating to the virtual location via SMB.

Ok, thanks. Linux is able to mount an ISO to a normal data directory, so the BDMV/ folder appears just as it does on local storage.

The Windows utilities we've heard about (Virtual Clone Drive, etc) want the ISO file to appear as a letter drive emulating an optical disc and this seems to confuse SMB. Not just for OPPO, but for other clients.

Anyone wanting to win this months Triwizard Cup: find a Windows utility that mounts an ISO file to a normal hard drive directory.

Speed: it's not working well enough for me either, although I may have other network performance issues.

-Bill
post #119 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:

Well one of the reasons I got the 103 is because you can upscale a Directv feed from 720/1080i to 1080p for viewing by running the directv via hdmi directly to the 103 hdmi input and then out to the TV. (Cant do this with the 93 I have heard). I did not realize that you could not upscale an HBO show for example, even though it is not broadcast in 1080p to begin with and this does not involve an issue of copying anything. I am simply trying to take advantage of the 103's ability to upscale for viewing.

My HR34 is running into the HDMI IN back, set on native output. The Oppo is passing all my stuff, scaled to the tv at 1080p/60hz.
lanping09 likes this.

65" VT50 / BDT460
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #120 of 18107 Old 10-04-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:

I see what you are saying. Its a bug in the Oppo handshake. I agree that one should not get this warning. I can reproduce it going from a local channel to HBO, 501, almost every time. An easy work around is tune to the channel, get the error, power off the Oppo only, turn it back on, select HDMI In, and it works fine after that.

65" VT50 / BDT460
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page