Forum Jump: 

post #11971 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

What is the exact message the player is displaying?

There is a free utility called "mediainfo". Post the results from one file that plays and another that doesn't.

-Bill
Dont remember the exact message, maybe "file format not supported"
I just checked i can play them off a usb but network is a no no.
I wish grace note was supported on network too,for me grace note is pretty much useless cos all my stuff is on a nas that i stream to the oppo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11972 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 12:20 AM

Any updates on the mkv 24p playback support?
Will we see a firmware soon that corrects the problem?
post #11973 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question about Cinavia. I realize that Cinavia protection is enabled on files played by the Oppo from USB, SMB, optical, etc (though it was claimed in the past that Cinavia does not apply to mkv - this must have changed with firmware updates). What about files streamed via the HDMI in? In particular, if I have a media player connected to the Oppo via one of the Oppo HDMI inputs and that player plays a file (say, mkv) that is Cinavia protected, will the Oppo Cinavia protection be applied? The media player itself does not implement Cinavia. Thanks
post #11974 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 04:11 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofwar1600 View Post

I just checked i can play them off a usb but network is a no no.

That is a clue that your server is altering the audio or video into a format that the player does not support.

Is this a DLNA server? Do you know what type, and do you have any control over it?

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #11975 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 07:50 AM

I have the exact same issue. I need help on this also so would love to hear what people have to say. Let me know if you find anything out.

Thanks
post #11976 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 07:55 AM

Good,it will really blow the socks off those folks that are contemplating an upgrade from the -83.thanks

15.gif

post #11977 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 07:59 AM

Its a western digital NAS, i thought videos were directly played on the oppo without any additional transcoding.
And why is it that only those mkvs are being converted and not the other mkvs?
post #11978 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:

That is a clue that your server is altering the audio or video into a format that the player does not support.

Is this a DLNA server? Do you know what type, and do you have any control over it?

-Bill
Its a western digital NAS, i thought videos were directly played on the oppo without any additional transcoding.
post #11979 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I don't know if there is any Dream Theater fans in this forum, but I just bought the latest CD/DVD combo pack yesterday to give it a proper listen. I immediately wanted to hear the 5.1 mix, so I popped that in first. About 45 seconds into it, there was static noise and sounds like it had slowed down a bit as well. If I let it go for a bit, it cleared up for a few seconds and then started again. I tried to stop and start the disc 3 times and power cycled the player, but same result. I am thinking bad disc, but I take it back to the store, they pop it in their samsung player and it plays fine. So what I am not clear on is if there is truly DVD-A tracks on this disc (in which case the Samsung could not have been playing that track, correct?) or of it is a standard DVD audio that any player can play? The CD itself played fine. Either way, they wouldn't exchange the disc because they didn't hear what I did. I am wondering if this is something I might address with Oppo?

Thanks.
lanping09 likes this.
post #11980 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 08:24 AM

Liked: 56
You should contact OPPO.

BTW I am huge fan of DT,...

Panasonic TX-P42GT50E, Oppo 103, Schiit Vali, Denon AHD2000 + Moon Audio Blue Dragon V3, Phonak Audeo 121, Vsonic GR07, Fiio E17, Cowon S9, XLO cables :: CalMAN 5 Enthusiast,Chromapure Standard, i1D3, i1Display 2, TED's Calibration Blu Ray Disc v1.0 & v1.1
post #11981 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsut View Post

You should contact OPPO.

prsut, you don't happen to have the 5.1 mix DVD by chance and or listened to it yet?
post #11982 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsut View Post

You should contact OPPO.

I just found an AVS thread on the new album and there is another 103 owner with the same problem. I guess it plays fine in a 83 and 980, so looks like a bug on the 103. rolleyes.gif
lanping09 likes this.
post #11983 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 10:43 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

It depends on the server. For SMB I have not heard of transcoding but for DLNA we have, many times, cured problem by turning off transcoding in the server. Which is why I am asking what sort of server you are running. The NAS presumably provides both SMB and DLNA. It makes a difference which you are using.

On local USB storage, do all the MKV play, or some do and some don't?

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #11984 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:

It depends on the server. For SMB I have not heard of transcoding but for DLNA we have, many times, cured problem by turning off transcoding in the server. Which is why I am asking what sort of server you are running. The NAS presumably provides both SMB and DLNA. It makes a difference which you are using.

On local USB storage, do all the MKV play, or some do and some don't?

-Bill
the name of dlna server doesn't show up in the Nas setting but i think Wd my book live uses a twonky server.
Seems that i can play all Mkvs off the local storage.
post #11985 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 12:25 PM

All,

I've searched the many pages of this forum, and did not find this specific reference. While watching my new BD copy of Star Trek Into Darkness, I notice that with 7.1 decoding in the Oppo 103, the left front channel seems to overload and distort with Oppo set to bitstream output for HDMI, but when I set it to LPCM output and let my Integra 80.3 decode, the sound is fine.

Anyone run into this as a result of any of the firmware updates? I have the latest official installed right now. Would the newest beta address this or do I have a hardware problem?
post #11986 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 12:25 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

the name of dlna server doesn't show up in the Nas setting but i think Wd my book live uses a twonky server.
Seems that i can play all Mkvs off the local storage.

Do you have some sort of administrative access to Twonky? See if there is a setting to turn off transcoding. If you can't find it then look for a support forum for the mybook.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #11987 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 12:52 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2cents View Post

All,

I've searched the many pages of this forum, and did not find this specific reference. While watching my new BD copy of Star Trek Into Darkness, I notice that with 7.1 decoding in the Oppo 103, the left front channel seems to overload and distort with Oppo set to bitstream output for HDMI, but when I set it to LPCM output and let my Integra 80.3 decode, the sound is fine.

Anyone run into this as a result of any of the firmware updates? I have the latest official installed right now. Would the newest beta address this or do I have a hardware problem?

You sure you didn't state that backwards? With LPCM output it is the *OPPO* doing the decoding. To get the Integra to do the decoding you use Bitstream output.

Anyway, I just played that last night using Bitstream to my Anthem Statement D2v and heard no problems.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #11988 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

You sure you didn't state that backwards? With LPCM output it is the *OPPO* doing the decoding. To get the Integra to do the decoding you use Bitstream output.

Anyway, I just played that last night using Bitstream to my Anthem Statement D2v and heard no problems.
--Bob[/quote

Bob,
I did misstate the point about which device decoded, but not which circumstances produced the distortion, and now I'm even more confused. That would imply that my Integra is distorting the Oppo output when decoding 7.1, but I've not heard that with similar decoding of other movies, just this one. I'll have to do some more listening and see if I can learn anything else. The Integra has no distortion in the left channel under any other circumstance that I can remember, from stereo to 9.1.
post #11989 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i just sold my bdp-93 and in process of getting 103..but not sure about 103d...do you guys i should wait for 103d and get 103..i use it for my 52 samsung lcd..will i see the difference from 103 and 103d.....now is it worth of waiting for "d"
post #11990 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 06:48 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksarkar View Post

i just sold my bdp-93 and in process of getting 103..but not sure about 103d...do you guys i should wait for 103d and get 103..i use it for my 52 samsung lcd..will i see the difference from 103 and 103d.....now is it worth of waiting for "d"

This is going to be tough. My personal take, having used both (I'm a Beta Tester) is that I prefer the 103D. However it is a new product, and may end up having a few more "new product bugs" in firmware that need ironing out. And of course it costs more.
--Bob

post #11991 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2cents View Post

Bob,
I did misstate the point about which device decoded, but not which circumstances produced the distortion, and now I'm even more confused. That would imply that my Integra is distorting the Oppo output when decoding 7.1, but I've not heard that with similar decoding of other movies, just this one. I'll have to do some more listening and see if I can learn anything else. The Integra has no distortion in the left channel under any other circumstance that I can remember, from stereo to 9.1.

I don't bitstream (can't), or do 7.1 (could), but a recent blu-ray that had similar issues was Total Recall from end of last year. Sony's defective disc would only play correctly in certain players when the player decoded it to PCM first. Their excuse for not re-manufacturing the disc properly and sending out replacements was that player manufacturers would take care of things, but not sure all that many did. It had a Dolby TrueHD 5.1 soundtrack. (It wouldn't play either way (bitstream (according to others) or pcm (according to me)) on my now-retired Panasonic BD35, and there was no firmware update to take care of things, at least as of two months ago. PCM worked okay on my '93.)

Aha, just checked and Trek is apparently also a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack. Think I recall a Disney title with similar issues, but only is skimming some thread somewhere on the internet, possibly FInding Nemo (also a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 soundtrack, so that may have been it).

Part of the reason I recall reading that Dolby TrueHD became less used for quite a while was that it didn't do very well with seamless branching. Apparently that may still be the case.

Just the messenger, and I could be wrong.

Um, oh at the time (of the Total Recall fiasco), I also recall reading that Oppo denied Sony's claim that it was a player firmware issue and that they weren't going to provide any fix for it. Don't know if that changed in the meantime.
post #11992 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:

This is going to be tough. My personal take, having used both (I'm a Beta Tester) is that I prefer the 103D. However it is a new product, and may end up having a few more "new product bugs" in firmware that need ironing out. And of course it costs more.
--Bob
Thanks for quick reply
I dont mind the new product bugs and also price when i am spending 500 why dont i spend another 100 and get "d" but with my tv samsung LN52B750 will i see the difference between 103 and 103d
post #11993 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 07:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Well you will CERTAINLY see the difference if you turn on the Darbee processing in the 103D. No surprise there.

In terms of the image quality with all processing turned off in both players, they should look identical on your display.
--Bob

post #11994 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:

^ Well you will CERTAINLY see the difference if you turn on the Darbee processing in the 103D. No surprise there.

In terms of the image quality with all processing turned off in both players, they should look identical on your display.
--Bob
awesome...Now it will waiting game smile.gif...Thxs again for ur quick response.
post #11995 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksarkar View Post

--Bob

hmmm...not the kind of optimism i was expecting.
post #11996 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ You were expecting maybe gushing, perhaps? biggrin.gif

If you love the Darbee processing, or even just want to experiment with it, the 103D is a bargain. I've just written up my own thoughts on Darbee as integrated into the 103D in the separate, 103D thread here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1491059/oppo-licensing-darbee-technology-for-103d-machines

Personally, I also like what the VRS chip is doing compared to the QDEO in the 103. In my case, the VRS plus the chance to play with Darbee, makes the 103D an *EASY* win.

But there's no doubt the 103D is a somewhat more expensive variant of the 103, rather than an entirely brand new player. They are more alike than different. And so making a recommendation to others is tough. Different people will care more about different things.

For example, folks disturbed by the base level of noise reduction found on the HDMI 1 output of the 103 will be pleased to know there is no such thing happening on the 103D.

On the down side, I know of a few issues still being worked on in the current firmware for the 103D, which are not present in the 103. Typical teething pains for a new release. I fully expect OPPO will nail those quickly, but they still represent work in progress.

As usual, OPPO offers their easy, 30-day return policy. So you can try the 103D and make up your own mind after using it with the rest of your gear. All you risk is the shipping costs.
--Bob

post #11997 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

^ You were expecting maybe gushing, perhaps? biggrin.gif

If you love the Darbee processing, or even just want to experiment with it, the 103D is a bargain. I've just written up my own thoughts on Darbee as integrated into the 103D in the separate, 103D thread here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1491059/oppo-licensing-darbee-technology-for-103d-machines

Personally, I also like what the VRS chip is doing compared to the QDEO in the 103. In my case, the VRS plus the chance to play with Darbee, makes the 103D an *EASY* win.

But there's no doubt the 103D is a somewhat more expensive variant of the 103, rather than an entirely brand new player. They are more alike than different. And so making a recommendation to others is tough. Different people will care more about different things.

For example, folks disturbed by the base level of noise reduction found on the HDMI 1 output of the 103 will be pleased to know there is no such thing happening on the 103D.

On the down side, I know of a few issues still being worked on in the current firmware for the 103D, which are not present in the 103. Typical teething pains for a new release. I fully expect OPPO will nail those quickly, but they still represent work in progress.

As usual, OPPO offers their easy, 30-day return policy. So you can try the 103D and make up your own mind after using it with the rest of your gear. All you risk is the shipping costs.
--Bob

Thanks Bob. I saw the other thread after my comment and realized youre probably just not a huge Darbee fan? Ive never seen it in action. Some rave it, some (like you I assume) want very little additional processing. Its getting time to upgrade my 83, so I thought I could get two birds...

What was the base level noise on HDMI issue?
post #11998 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Not "noise" -- "noise reduction". The HDMI 1 output of the 103 includes a small amount of video "noise reduction" processing that can not be turned off. No such thing on the 103D.

Actually, I rather *LIKE* the Darbee result. I just feel that it should be used judiciously. Cranking it up all the way -- which turns out to be "120%", if you can get your mind around that -- will make the imagery look distinctly odd.

What I was saying in the post in the other thread is that if you want to leave Darbee ON all the time, then setting a lower percentage level is wise -- i.e., a "set and forget" setting.
--Bob

post #11999 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:

^
--Bob

Not via HDMI-1 they don't. There's a little matter of NR on the 103 that's not imposed on the 103D. Via HDMI-2 they look the same.
post #12000 of 18272 Old 09-30-2013, 08:32 PM

Liked: 14
I understand 103d is based on Darbee DVP-5100. I already own 103 (Multi region) and would like to know is there any difference in PQ between 103d and 103 with DVP-5100 as stand alone unit. What are pros and cons?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page