Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling View Post

Awesome, I didn't know it did that.

I'm buying one!

Yep, and it work's great on my setup. A $50 bargain as far as I'm concerned.
LairdWilliams likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12242 of 19422 Old 10-07-2013, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

This is the DVD-A disc from around 2002, correct? Some details on the disc contents here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13294

Does anything change when you switch the player between DVD-Audio and DVD-Video in Setup -> Playback Setup -> DVD-Audio Mode?

Contact OPPO support. They were rumored to own every DVD-A in existence and it would be helpful if they had this one.

-Bill

Just bought my second Elvis DVD A thinking it was a scratch on the first one.

Sucks. Love Oppo and am curious to know what's going on with this update referred to by the company? When will this be addressed and what is up with this disc? I know it plays on other players. Any updates? I'm into Elvis for close to a Hondo just for this.
THANKS!
post #12243 of 19422 Old 10-07-2013, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Known issue. Will be addressed through a future firmware release.
post #12244 of 19422 Old 10-07-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc999 View Post

Elvis 30 #1 Hits DVD 5.1

Can anyone help me. For some reason the Oppo 103 starts to play this DVD perfectly, about
40-60 secs into the song it suddenly slows to a crawl and the sound gets super distorted.

If I stop the DVD and restart it the same thing happens again. I thought it was a scratch in my DVD so I just
purchased a brand new one (60 dollars) put it in and now the same thing happens!

Every other DVD I have plays perfectly (all hi res music). Why is this happening to only this DVD?

Latest firmware - HDMI out to my Emotiva UMC-200 > Emotiva XPA-5 AMP - Everything else sounds fantastic.

=========================================================================================
In reference to above:

After a few emails here is the result:

"Charlie,

We have a copy of this DVD-Audio title and confirm the errors. We are working with our engineers to resolve them in a future firmware release.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119"

So in the end it was the OPPO. They will fix. Great customer Service!
CC

Hi,

Just bought my second Elvis DVD A thinking it was a scratch on the first one. No dice. Sounds like Elvis on the toilet before he checked out.

Sucks. Love Oppo and am curious to know what's going on with this update referred to by the company? When will this be addressed and what is up with this disc? I know it plays on other players. Any updates? I'm into Elvis for close to a Hondo just for this. I've read elsewhere on earlier updates, the disc worked. Ok. Very weird. C'mon tech dudes! Hook up a nerd,
THANKS!
post #12245 of 19422 Old 10-07-2013, 09:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawls View Post

Hi,

Just bought my second Elvis DVD A thinking it was a scratch on the first one. No dice. Sounds like Elvis on the toilet before he checked out.

Sucks. Love Oppo and am curious to know what's going on with this update referred to by the company? When will this be addressed and what is up with this disc? I know it plays on other players. Any updates? I'm into Elvis for close to a Hondo just for this. I've read elsewhere on earlier updates, the disc worked. Ok. Very weird. C'mon tech dudes! Hook up a nerd,
THANKS!

A few people around here remember many DVD-A issues when the BDP-83 was first out (and in beta). Roughly 1/2 of all DVD-A required special firmware fixes for one reason or another. The people making these discs have little regard for proper programming of the disc navigation and audio, and its one of the reasons that DVD-A has died off. Its a VERY quirky format.
post #12246 of 19422 Old 10-07-2013, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Could you give us any less information?

-Bill
I think the container is an mkv
post #12247 of 19422 Old 10-07-2013, 11:48 PM

The beta firmware is almost 2 months old. Must be a lot of updates in this one.
post #12248 of 19422 Old 10-08-2013, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofwar1600 View Post

Does any one know if the 103 can play remux files from a nas?
I dont want use up 30 gigs of my bandwidth to find out that it doesnt
Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofwar1600 View Post

I think the container is an mkv
How about you provide detailed information about some of your 'remux' files by using an application called MediaInfo (set to text mode). And post what it reports, IN FULL as a text (.txt) file within 'spoilers'....

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #12249 of 19422 Old 10-08-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Can someone please explain what MKV files are and where they come from? Also the meaning of "remux." Thanks!
dmusoke and B 26354 like this.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #12250 of 19422 Old 10-08-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

Can someone please explain what MKV files are and where they come from? Also the meaning of "remux." Thanks!

To put it simply; MKV files are video files. Kind of like avi or mpg. You can download them or extract them from a video source. Remux is the ability to use an application to change parameters of the MKV file, such as to add subtitles, change audio format, remove unwanted info such as chapters, foreign audio/subtitles, etc... At least that is why I remux.
pbarach and dmusoke like this.
post #12251 of 19422 Old 10-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 1017
^ The usual reason posters will suggest a "remux" is to correct what is suspected of being a corrupted or improperly formatted file, perhaps due to an older program having been used to make it in the first place. These files merge several pieces of content information (the multiplexing or "mux" of those pieces) into a single file, and the details of how that is done are complicated enough that problems can creep in, either due to the tool versions in use, or the choices made when that's being done.

See the FAQ (link available at the top of the first post of this thread) for information on file formats and some tools. Pay attention to file formats which are "containers". Container file formats allow different content formats to be merged together into a single file, so support depends on BOTH the container and the content formats it contains being something the player understands.
--Bob
pbarach likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #12252 of 19422 Old 10-08-2013, 11:18 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska

Also: What are the alternatives to .iso files? in the BDP-93 FAQ.

In this case we don't know exactly what is meant by "remux", but in general it would mean picking apart the different streams from a video title (the video itself, audio, subtitles) and recombining them (multiplexing) into a new arrangement. Perhaps after transforming one or more of the streams into a new format.

-Bill
pbarach likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #12253 of 19422 Old 10-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

A MKV file is a "container" (think: a ZIP file on a computer) that holds the video and audio streams of a movie or TV show. They can also hold multiple streams for the same content (different versions of the audio track are common) or additional data (subtitles). Anybody can create a MKV file with multiple choices of software on all platforms.

These video and audio streams are compressed and the codec (compression/decompression) used is identifiable. For example, h264 is currently one of the most common video codecs and different versions of h264 are used by Blu Ray discs and many streaming services.

Remux is a term used to take the contents of one container (like MKV) and place it within another (such as M2TS) without re-encoding the video or audio thus resulting in identical quality. This is often done automagically by certain modern DLNA servers that can change the container so it is compatible with the media player. For example many Sony Blu Ray players do not support MKV files via a local network but they do support M2TS so the server re-muxes the streams in real time so the file will play and all of this happens transparently to the user.
pbarach and B 26354 like this.
post #12254 of 19422 Old 10-08-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapper58 View Post

Thanks, but I don't believe my display (Panasonic plasma TC-P65ZT60) will perform scaling/de-interlacing. I believe it just displays whatever format it's given. I could be wrong on this.

If that were the case, whenever you watched a DVD, it would appear in postage stamp size in the center of your screen, only using the middle 720x480 pixels out of the display's 1920x1080, and it would be stretched to an obviously wrong geometry (because DVD pixels are not square and will not map correctly to the square pixels in the display panel). And it would flicker horribly, because the signal is interlaced but the screen is not.

All televisions, projectors and other video displays will deinterlace and scale an input signal to the screen's native resolution. Whether they dlo a good job with this is another story, however.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #12255 of 19422 Old 10-08-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

A few people around here remember many DVD-A issues when the BDP-83 was first out (and in beta). Roughly 1/2 of all DVD-A required special firmware fixes for one reason or another. The people making these discs have little regard for proper programming of the disc navigation and audio, and its one of the reasons that DVD-A has died off. Its a VERY quirky format.

I've been collecting surround albums for over a decade. Never seen such an odd, quirky, issue. For the 40-60 seconds of cleanish play, I can tell you the club mix of "Little Less Conversation" might inspire me to try cutting myself. The hissing sounds gave my puppy a seizure. My subwoofer gave me the finger...

Anyhoo, when is Oppo fixing this? I don't see a time table, but I'm now on some kind of mission to hear this sheep dag DVD A. I have two of them. Anyone who gets this done, I'll send over my extra if you pay the shipping cost.

I have OCDAUDIOPHILE brain craves. HOOK US UP OPPO! I'm amenable to bribery.

Any news updates would be appreciated. Thanks for the responses.
post #12256 of 19422 Old 10-09-2013, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawls View Post

I've been collecting surround albums for over a decade. Never seen such an odd, quirky, issue. For the 40-60 seconds of cleanish play, I can tell you the club mix of "Little Less Conversation" might inspire me to try cutting myself. The hissing sounds gave my puppy a seizure. My subwoofer gave me the finger...

Anyhoo, when is Oppo fixing this? I don't see a time table, but I'm now on some kind of mission to hear this sheep dag DVD A. I have two of them. Anyone who gets this done, I'll send over my extra if you pay the shipping cost.

I have OCDAUDIOPHILE brain craves. HOOK US UP OPPO! I'm amenable to bribery.

Any news updates would be appreciated. Thanks for the responses.
Out of interest. Have any of you tried backing-up these problem DVD-A discs and playing them via a different transport system?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #12257 of 19422 Old 10-09-2013, 03:53 AM

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered already - I did try my best to read all 422 pages wink.gif

I'm looking at buying an Oppo 103 but due to limited decent TV overseas will mostly use it for programmes/films saved on my USB hard-drive, DVDs and blu ray collections.

Question is does the DAC(s) still upscale content when directly connected via the USB port? Or is this something which is only found on the 105? Recall reading something about asynchronous clocks etc.

In addition would it better to wait for the Darbee version due to the above???

Many thanks!
post #12258 of 19422 Old 10-09-2013, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoav View Post

I have a BDP-103 connected to a Yamaha RX-A2010, which has HQV Vida video processor. Does anyone has any recommendations on whether I should do both video+audio through the Yamaha or connect video directly to the TV? Any recommended settings on either the OPPO or Yamaha?

Normally 1) there is no benefit in connecting the Oppo separately to both the TV and the Yamaha (triangle connection); it complicates the handshaking, and it requires an extra cable wink.gif

You should continue using a chain connection (Oppo -> Yamaha -> TV), and set the Yamaha for "video pass through"; then the Yamaha is only processing the audio and not "messing" with the video...

1) Strictly speaking, there is a case where you might need to use a triangle connection; namely if you watch 3D movies and if the Yamaha is too old to support HDMI v1.4 3D video pass through; I don't know your Yamaha's specifications so you need to check that yourself...
post #12259 of 19422 Old 10-09-2013, 05:14 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj731 View Post

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered already - I did try my best to read all 422 pages wink.gif

I'm looking at buying an Oppo 103 but due to limited decent TV overseas will mostly use it for programmes/films saved on my USB hard-drive, DVDs and blu ray collections.

Question is does the DAC(s) still upscale content when directly connected via the USB port? Or is this something which is only found on the 105? Recall reading something about asynchronous clocks etc.

A DAC is used for sending audio to the analog outputs. It has nothing to do with video or digital audio output.

All sources, audio and video, are treated the same in terms of how they are output.
Quote:

The -103 and -103D are identical in their operations and functions, apart from the video processors used.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #12260 of 19422 Old 10-09-2013, 05:19 AM

Thank you for the above reply, Bill.

For blu-ray newbies like me does this mean the TV/Film content that I have on my portable hard disk will still be upscaled even though it's connected through the USB port compared to say using a PC's HDMI connection.
post #12261 of 19422 Old 10-09-2013, 05:24 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Thank you for the above reply, Bill.

For blu-ray newbies like me does this mean the TV/Film content that I have on my portable hard disk will still be upscaled even though it's connected through the USB port compared to say using a PC's HDMI connection.

Yes.

To be a bit more detailed: what do you mean by upscaling? If you have the player set to 1080p and the content is a lower resolution, then it has to be scaled to 1920x1080. There is no other way to get it out of the machine.

Have you verified that the player supports the container types and A/V codecs you are going to use?

-Bill

post #12262 of 19422 Old 10-09-2013, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Hi all,

Many thanks!
-oppo-103 is reference quality blu ray player
-you need oppo-105 if you are audiophile maniac, picture quality is the same
-You need oppo-103D (darbee edition) if you are looking for a more customized experience beyond standard picture adjustments : see here : http://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=73&ProdID=BDP-103

Panasonic TX-P42GT50E, Oppo 103, Schiit Vali, Denon AHD2000 + Moon Audio Blue Dragon V3, Phonak Audeo 121, Vsonic GR07, Fiio E17, Cowon S9, XLO cables :: CalMAN 5 Enthusiast,Chromapure Standard, i1D3, i1Display 2, TED's Calibration Blu Ray Disc v1.0 & v1.1
post #12263 of 19422 Old 10-09-2013, 06:07 AM

Quote:

Yes.

To be a bit more detailed: what do you mean by upscaling? If you have the player set to 1080p and the content is a lower resolution, then it has to be scaled to 1920x1080. There is no other way to get it out of the machine.

Have you verified that the player supports the container types and A/V codecs you are going to use?

-Bill

Thanks once again, Bill.

Basically in terms of upscaling, I mean increasing the quality of the picture - for example a lot of my downloads (through limited choice) are generally quite small in size. An episode of Family Guy would be 70mb and a film usually 13gb, so it would be great to see them "increased in quality" through the Oppo's converter/upscaler. They're not too pixelated on a 47" screen but I know they could be better.

Essentially if the Oppo or any other Blu-Ray player could not do this for content going through a USB port then there's no point me getting one, however, given your reply it does, which is great! biggrin.gif

In terms of codec the majority are AVI, MKV - can't think of any others. I know it won't support ISO etc but from what I can tell the list on Oppo's website covers all of the file types I have.

Cheers,

Jonathan
post #12264 of 19422 Old 10-09-2013, 06:19 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Thanks once again, Bill.

Basically in terms of upscaling, I mean increasing the quality of the picture - for example a lot of my downloads (through limited choice) are generally quite small in size. An episode of Family Guy would be 70mb and a film usually 13gb, so it would be great to see them "increased in quality" through the Oppo's converter/upscaler. They're not too pixelated on a 47" screen but I know they could be better.

Increasing the quality is often a matter of subjective preference. The players are not magic. You can't make high definition quality from low definition sources. If your downloads have been damaged by too much compression by whoever created them, there is not much the player can do to improve them.

But disc vs usb is not the issue. The same processing is used for both.

-Bill

post #12265 of 19422 Old 10-09-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:

Increasing the quality is often a matter of subjective preference. The players are not magic. You can't make high definition quality from low definition sources. If your downloads have been damaged by too much compression by whoever created them, there is not much the player can do to improve them.

But disc vs usb is not the issue. The same processing is used for both.

-Bill

I had a feeling that might be the case. I'm currently using a LG BD570 player, so if the Oppo can do a much better job (within reason) for my DVDs and Downloads then I'll be a happy man. The good thing is at least I know the processing is the same.

Many thanks for your assistance.
post #12266 of 19422 Old 10-09-2013, 10:39 AM

Liked: 15
Hi

Is anyone able to provide a quick run down of how the qdeo application in the 103 differs from the 93, the reasons for the differances and the outcome of those changes?

Thanks a lot.
post #12267 of 19422 Old 10-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41

Guys 

I have some problems with the Oppo 103 and the Sony x9 4k tv.

Whenever I put the Oppo to 4kx2k resolution the Images distort like crazy.

any ideas?

post #12268 of 19422 Old 10-09-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Try an alternative HDMI Input.

Try an alternative HDMI cable.

Try HDMI 2 instead of HDMI 1.

Ensure that the player and the television have their latest firmware releases installed.
post #12269 of 19422 Old 10-09-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leev View Post

Hi

Is anyone able to provide a quick run down of how the qdeo application in the 103 differs from the 93, the reasons for the differances and the outcome of those changes?

Thanks a lot.

The difference is not in the QDEO, but in the MediaTek decoder. The BDP-103 uses the MediaTek decoder for all de-interlacing, scaling, and frame conversion. The QDEO is only used for Contrast Enhancement, Noise Reduction, and 4K scaling (exclusive to the BDP-10x series)

On the BDP-93 all de-interlacing, scaling, and frame conversion were done through the QDEO, as well as the same video enhancement algorithms.
post #12270 of 19422 Old 10-09-2013, 12:05 PM

After enjoying the 970, 971, 980 and 983 I have now purchased the 103. Picked it up myself at their location and although it was already after 5 they helped me out. Excellent service and product.

I would like to make this machine region free (as the others were) and would like to know your recommendation which kit works best.
Thanks.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page