Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 427 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Players > Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

Blu-ray Players

MysteryMachine's Avatar MysteryMachine
10:46 AM Liked: 10
post #12781 of 19509
11-02-2013 | Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

What I find really odd is that the main complainant (ie: MysteryMachine) has not posted 'anything' on this forum since March 2nd. So for all we know he's solved his problem!

All I can confirm is... When I connected my 103 via analogue to a couple of 29 year old Audiolab 8000A amplifiers and a mono amp (I built myself). There was no increased level of hiss other than what the amplifiers naturally produced.

Sorry I have been working abroad and not with my audio gear since June! I never did fix the hiss, what I did is take my preamp apart and called the preamp company with a volt meter in hand and they walked me through finding the defective part in my preamp - so I no longer used my 103 as a preamp. Unfortunately my preamp died again so I was searching this old thread today to see if the issue had been fixed. The hiss is only a problem when using the 103 as a pre-amp. I doubt it was/is fixable with firmware but I suppose I will need to try again (first I will try fixing my preamp again).

Edit: re-hooked it up as a pre-mp. Latest firmwares are loaded, settings cleared etc:

The full volume pops with HDMI handshake - there are still some pops but they are no longer at full volume, they are at similar volume as the 103 is set to. Most modern day HDMI processors have this so I think its unavoidable and I would say that issue is fixed.

Sadly hiss remains in all channels, most noticeable in the rears since they are close. So it was never solved (at least not in firmware). However now when the BDP-103 goes to screensaver or you pause a movie the hiss stops but in blu-rays where there is no sound etc - hiss. The most noticeable hiss is if you play a stereo CD, the center and rears will have a lot of hiss when there should be no sound at all. With this behaviour its not ideal, but its more liveable.

It could be an issue only with the early ones since I have not heard anyone with the same complaint in a long time, but at the time I posted I found 6 other people complaining about it (other forums and also reviews on Amazon).
pqwk50's Avatar pqwk50
11:33 AM Liked: 23
post #12782 of 19509
11-02-2013 | Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by carminepesce View Post

The point for using the split feature is to take advantage of the high quality Marvell video processor the OPPO has built in. By feeding the video signal directly to a receiver you won't be taking advantage of Marvell's video processing as the receiver will now be outputting the video to your display using it's own built in video processing. Unless of course the receiver has a better video processor than the Marvell, it's the choice of many a/v enthusiasts to allow the OPPO to do the video processing.

Carmine.

Carmine, what about folks who send it to the AVR but the AVR is set to not do any processing but instead just pass it thru?

Does the Oppo/Marvell still do processing when Video & Audio go thru HDMI-1, it's just that the AVR would process that signal after the Oppo did? Or does the Oppo not apply any processing if Video & Audio are sent thru HDMI-1?

somelogin's Avatar somelogin
11:42 AM Liked: 22
post #12783 of 19509
11-02-2013 | Posts: 1,072
Just "in case" my audio sync issues are related to my receiver I may end up splitting it and seeing if it helps that as well, although with the insanely dumb decision of having a FRONT hdmi out, I may not even try it. I have ALWAYS had audio sync issues way before using any sort of receiver and like I said both with directv and cable and discs. And it always seems to me (it's sometimes hard to tell) that it's usually the sound coming too late instead of too early, so I have now ay to correct it. And I remember someLG tvs I tried had it where you could delay by negative ms, but that never seemed to fix it either.
pqwk50's Avatar pqwk50
11:46 AM Liked: 23
post #12784 of 19509
11-02-2013 | Posts: 74

Would there be any PQ advantage to running a Roku stream into the Oppo HDMI-In port? The idea being that OPPO would process it?

Roku HDMI-out to Oppo HDMI-in

Oppo HDMI-out to AVR with pass-thru to TV

carminepesce's Avatar carminepesce
12:45 PM Liked: 18
post #12785 of 19509
11-02-2013 | Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by pqwk50 View Post

Carmine, what about folks who send it to the AVR but the AVR is set to not do any processing but instead just pass it thru?

Does the Oppo/Marvell still do processing when Video & Audio go thru HDMI-1, it's just that the AVR would process that signal after the Oppo did? Or does the Oppo not apply any processing if Video & Audio are sent thru HDMI-1?

Well after I posted what you're questioning, I was told that my info is incorrect as the Oppo would still do the processing even after being connected to an A/V receiver.
KC-Technerd's Avatar KC-Technerd
01:26 PM Liked: 103
post #12786 of 19509
11-02-2013 | Posts: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by pqwk50 View Post

All video from the HDMI 1 output on the BDP-103 has at least some processing performed by the Oppo's Marvell QDEO processor regardless of settings and other connections. If an AVR connected between either of the Oppo's HDMI outputs and a display is set to apply video processing it will be in addition to any performed by the Oppo's processors.
02:13 PM Liked: 22
post #12787 of 19509
I wonder if I could use a lot of extra processing just to slow down the picture and even out with the audio. lol
dsinger's Avatar dsinger
02:40 PM Liked: 114
post #12788 of 19509
11-02-2013 | Posts: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

I wonder if I could use a lot of extra processing just to slow down the picture and even out with the audio. lol

If your display has some motion handling settings, try increasing the amount. That will slow down it's video processing and hopefully not increase SOE to the point you reduce it again.
gsr's Avatar gsr
03:00 PM Liked: 235
post #12789 of 19509
11-02-2013 | Posts: 7,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

Just "in case" my audio sync issues are related to my receiver I may end up splitting it and seeing if it helps that as well, although with the insanely dumb decision of having a FRONT hdmi out, I may not even try it. I have ALWAYS had audio sync issues way before using any sort of receiver and like I said both with directv and cable and discs. And it always seems to me (it's sometimes hard to tell) that it's usually the sound coming too late instead of too early, so I have now ay to correct it. And I remember someLG tvs I tried had it where you could delay by negative ms, but that never seemed to fix it either.
The Oppo has a front panel HDMI INPUT. Both HDMI outputs and 1 HDMI input are located on the rear panel. It's doubtful that sending HDMI1 direct to your display and HDMI2 to your AVR for audio would help with any A/V sync issues. If you continue to have A/V sync issues, the first place to look is to disable any video processing in your display (things like motion compensation, for example).
03:47 PM Liked: 22
post #12790 of 19509
I have all of that type of thing off. Actually I am using an ISF mode on a kuro so I don't know what the settings specifically for that mode itself are, but I know these issues have always plagued me for some reason, no matter which tv or mode I use. I do remember when I had a sony LCD and a panny plasma and connected the 93 to both of them at the same time, the sound would come in at way different times. I believe it came in earlier on the panny. Even when you have all the extra processing disabled, some tvs are worse than others. I'm glad to hear that the front hdmi is an input though! I thought it was mighty dumb to put an output there, but an input is not QUITE as dumb.
Ganymed4's Avatar Ganymed4
04:01 PM Liked: 59
post #12791 of 19509
11-02-2013 | Posts: 644
Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials and Oppo SMB.

Just wanted to let you know, that this works very well. I didn't had to install any patches. Works out of the box. However, some files are not shown like m2ts. A folder containing this kind of file is just empty - if there is only the m2ts file. You need to make an account for the oppo and login to this account.

Also, don't be disappointed, 2012 R2 doesn't have a DLNA-server out of the box. But you can add it, download it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40837

If somebody has mentioned this already, please excuse my double-post.

PS: I have it, because I have a MS-Technet subscription.
04:10 PM Liked: 59
post #12792 of 19509
Regarding this, I have one request to make to Oppo: Can you please show the file size and not only the file name via DLNA. This would be extremely helpful. Thank you!

Or do I have to send this to Oppo directly? Thanks.
gwsat's Avatar gwsat
04:14 PM Liked: 563
post #12793 of 19509
11-02-2013 | Posts: 14,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

^ Despite my past resistance to it, I'm becoming more and more sold on setting HDMI audio to LPCM and letting the Oppo do the bitstream decoding.

I have never had a moment's trouble with bitstream connections. In fact my old BD player, a Sony PS 3, couldn't pass HD audio any other way. Similarly on my 103 there seem's not to be a dime's worth of difference in audio quality between HD audio processed by the 103 using bitstream or setting things up to have my Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver decode it.
miike8888's Avatar miike8888
04:27 PM Liked: 10
post #12794 of 19509
11-02-2013 | Posts: 21

Hi!

oh god!…….the OPPO doesn't do 23.976 when streaming mkv remux files!:( it outputs it in 60hz……how is this even possible for an high-end brand to do this kind of mistake?!

does anybody know if OPPO is working on a fix?….if not they should be because the people who buy OPPO:s are hardcore film fans and this is NOT acceptable at at all.

ingramba's Avatar ingramba
04:34 PM Liked: 13
post #12795 of 19509
11-02-2013 | Posts: 250
Hi all, got my new toy today locally at Bestbuy Magnolia. Really surprised to find one in store! Anyways, I'm very excited to get this thing installed. I currently use a Panny 500 which is no slouch itself. I've always wanted a OPPO because of you guys & gals smile.gif and because we have a thirst for having the best our hobby allows! I'm really interested in using the analogue outs to improve sound on my Onkyo TX-NR809. Will analogue get rid of the harshness I get from blu-ray & CDs? I use Polks all around 5.1. All new owner tips appreciated! Thx and don't forget to set your clocks back tonight!
04:35 PM Liked: 103
post #12796 of 19509
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I have never had a moment's trouble with bitstream connections. In fact my old BD player, a Sony PS 3, couldn't pass HD audio any other way. Similarly on my 103 there seem's not to be a dime's worth of difference in audio quality between HD audio processed by the 103 using bitstream or setting things up to have my Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver decode it.

My AVR sometimes mutes bitstream playback for the first instant of video playback, which now does not occur when using LPCM (it did with previous firmware versions). I do have one title that trips up my Pioneer on Dolby True HD when sent via bitstream, but the Oppo handles the decoding to LPCM just fine. I have read of a few Dolby TrueHD titles that seem to trip up the AVRs bitstream decoding, but not the Oppo's. I also see the advantage of using LPCM in the circumstance of playing back Secondary Audio. My Pioneer AVR also handles dialog normalization differently than the Oppo ultimately resulting in bitstream audio being played back 4dB louder than LPCM. Other than those items, just as you said, "not a dime's worth of difference."
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau
04:38 PM Liked: 1038
post #12797 of 19509
11-02-2013 | Posts: 28,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post

Regarding this, I have one request to make to Oppo: Can you please show the file size and not only the file name via DLNA. This would be extremely helpful. Thank you!

Or do I have to send this to Oppo directly? Thanks.

Always email suggestions or problem reports directly to OPPO Tech Support. Do not assume they will spot something just because you post it here.
--Bob
04:39 PM Liked: 103
post #12798 of 19509
Quote:
Originally Posted by miike8888 View Post

Hi!

oh god!…….the OPPO doesn't do 23.976 when streaming mkv remux files!frown.gif it outputs it in 60hz……how is this even possible for an high-end brand to do this kind of mistake?!

does anybody know if OPPO is working on a fix?….if not they should be because the people who buy OPPO:s are hardcore film fans and this is NOT acceptable at at all.

It has been stated many times that Oppo intends to fix this with the next firmware release. What is surprising is that a firmware release broke this when it was working correctly before, and that it is taking so long to get it resolved. The firmware update was supposed to be before the end of October, so hopefully we'll see it sometime in the next week or two.
04:40 PM Liked: 1038
post #12799 of 19509
Quote:
Originally Posted by miike8888 View Post

Hi!

oh god!…….the OPPO doesn't do 23.976 when streaming mkv remux files!frown.gif it outputs it in 60hz……how is this even possible for an high-end brand to do this kind of mistake?!

It's a bug and OPPO has already said they are working on a fix.
--Bob
04:52 PM Liked: 1038
post #12800 of 19509
Quote:

It has been stated many times that Oppo intends to fix this with the next firmware release. What is surprising is that a firmware release broke this when it was working correctly before, and that it is taking so long to get it resolved. The firmware update was supposed to be before the end of October, so hopefully we'll see it sometime in the next week or two.

Firmware updates generally include more than just a single bug fix. Some fixes also take longer because they involve co-releases from the chip vendor(s). As a Beta Tester, I can't discuss work in progress, but I think it's fair to say OPPO really does not withhold releases without good reason.
--Bob
05:11 PM Liked: 59
post #12801 of 19509
Thank you Bob!
05:32 PM Liked: 103
post #12802 of 19509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Firmware updates generally include more than just a single bug fix. Some fixes also take longer because they involve co-releases from the chip vendor(s). As a Beta Tester, I can't discuss work in progress, but I think it's fair to say OPPO really does not withhold releases without good reason.
--Bob

Sorry Bob. It was not my intent to make it sound like Oppo was withholding a fix. I understand that you can't discuss the work in progress. I also understand that Oppo has been busy with the release of the 103D and a firmware update for the 93/95 since the last beta release for the 103/105. I was just surprised that 24 fps mkv playback broke with 58-0719B on July 19, 2013 when it had previously been working correctly, and that 60-8080B on August 12 corrected the displayed frame rate of the file on the info bar, but not the playback frame rate. I understand there could be a number of reasons for this, and I am not suggesting any specific reason, although I've been hoping that it isn't the result of a BDA mandate, but I think that would have been made public long ago if that were the case.
retate's Avatar retate
05:34 PM Liked: 21
post #12803 of 19509
11-02-2013 | Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post

Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials and Oppo SMB.

Just wanted to let you know, that this works very well. I didn't had to install any patches. Works out of the box. However, some files are not shown like m2ts. A folder containing this kind of file is just empty - if there is only the m2ts file. You need to make an account for the oppo and login to this account.

Also, don't be disappointed, 2012 R2 doesn't have a DLNA-server out of the box. But you can add it, download it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40837

If somebody has mentioned this already, please excuse my double-post.

PS: I have it, because I have a MS-Technet subscription.

Thank you for the information. I plan to move my Server 2012 Essentials to R2 in the near future.
geebo's Avatar geebo
05:34 PM Liked: 15
post #12804 of 19509
11-02-2013 | Posts: 22
Is there any way to put my concert DVDs on a hard dive so that they will play on the 103 with menus?
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain
05:34 PM Liked: 389
post #12805 of 19509
11-02-2013 | Posts: 17,803
Quote:

Sorry Bob. It was not my intent to make it sound like Oppo was withholding a fix. I understand that you can't discuss the work in progress. I also understand that Oppo has been busy with the release of the 103D and a firmware update for the 93/95 since the last beta release for the 103/105. I was just surprised that 24 fps mkv playback broke with 58-0719B on July 19, 2013 when it had previously been working correctly, and that 60-8080B on August 12 corrected the displayed frame rate of the file on the info bar, but not the playback frame rate. I understand there could be a number of reasons for this, and I am not suggesting any specific reason, although I've been hoping that it isn't the result of a BDA mandate, but I think that would have been made public long ago if that were the case.

We always blame Mediatek for media file issues.

-Bill
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain
05:35 PM Liked: 389
post #12806 of 19509
11-02-2013 | Posts: 17,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebo View Post

Is there any way to put my concert DVDs on a hard dive so that they will play on the 103 with menus?

With menus: no. There are various ways to copy individual titles.

-Bill
05:51 PM Liked: 1038
post #12807 of 19509
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

We always blame Mediatek for media file issues.

-Bill

Yes, that's usually a safe bet. Unless of course we can blame Netflix, instead.
--Bob
geebo's Avatar geebo
06:23 PM Liked: 15
post #12808 of 19509
11-02-2013 | Posts: 22
Thanks. Sure wish the ISO playback didn't have to go away...
JMCurtis's Avatar JMCurtis
11:04 PM Liked: 11
post #12809 of 19509
11-02-2013 | Posts: 222
I just got my Oppo 103 about 3 weeks ago and had a question.

I have it hooked up to my Yamaha Video Receiver's HDMI 1 connection and I've noticed that audio is delaying starting about 2 seconds into a movies, etc. After that, when the audio does start, it is synced properly, and If I go to start the movie over, I then don't have the audio start delay.

I haven't as yet, updated the Oppo's firmware, as everything else seems to be fine. Also, from what I can tell, it seems only BD's are affected by this. Have not noticed it with DVD's.

Can anyone help me with this? Does the current firmware update fix this issue.
htwaits's Avatar htwaits
12:01 AM Liked: 482
post #12810 of 19509
11-03-2013 | Posts: 24,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCurtis View Post

I just got my Oppo 103 about 3 weeks ago and had a question.

I have it hooked up to my Yamaha Video Receiver's HDMI 1 connection and I've noticed that audio is delaying starting about 2 seconds into a movies, etc. After that, when the audio does start, it is synced properly, and If I go to start the movie over, I then don't have the audio start delay.

I haven't as yet, updated the Oppo's firmware, as everything else seems to be fine. Also, from what I can tell, it seems only BD's are affected by this. Have not noticed it with DVD's.

Can anyone help me with this? Does the current firmware update fix this issue.
If you're using bitstream try switching to LPCM. That change will not effect audio quality.
Tags: Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Reply Blu-ray Players

Subscribe to this Thread