Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So the BDP-103 is now available direct from Oppo. Amazon.com has put up a place holder for sales. AV Solutions in Canada still has ETA as unknown? Not gripping here but being in good old Canada I do feel a little short changed. My new projector mount has arrived. My new Panasonic PT AE-8000 is on order and will be delivered on or around November 8th. (upgraded from a Sony HW-15). Sold my BDP-93 for almost what I paid for it (cool). And now I wait to know whether my Canadian dealer will have the 103. I will wait until 2nd November and pull the pin on buying direct from Oppo.
Just ranting here and I apologise, but why are we Canadians left out of the loop? rolleyes.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Posted this on a SMR Lexicon Processor thread this morning with no response.

Hopefully someone here can help with a couple of answers:

When setting up analog outs on the Oppo BDP-103 going to a Lexicon MC12 where I intend to use 7.1 logic 7, I have the Oppo's analog down-mix set for 5.1 and speaker configuation set to Small.

Would like to find a correct solution via a question about when the Lexicon MC12 processor's speaker setup has the speakers already set to Small and the Center speaker crossover is set @ 120Hz and all the others speakers are set @ 80Hz.

If I choose the 80Hz crossover choice on the Oppo BDP-103, will that leave frequency room for the Lexicon to to additionally crossover the Center speaker @ 120Hz or do I have to set the Oppo's speaker settings to 120Hz for the Lexicon to crossover all the other speakers @ 80Hz ???

2nd question: What should be for the Oppo's distance setting for the speakers when using analog outs if the Lexicon already has distance adjustments for the speaker that are already set?

Thanks for suggestions.

Paul
post #1263 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Pogal,
Sheesh! Have some patience. It just showed up on Amazon this morning, and it's not even orderable there yet.

Or buy direct from OPPO if you really can't wait. biggrin.gif
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1264 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

Posted this on a SMR Lexicon Processor thread this morning with no response.

Hopefully someone here can help with a couple of answers:

When setting up analog outs on the Oppo BDP-103 going to a Lexicon MC12 where I intend to use 7.1 logic 7, I have the Oppo's analog down-mix set for 5.1 and speaker configuation set to Small.

Would like to find a correct solution via a question about when the Lexicon MC12 processor's speaker setup has the speakers already set to Small and the Center speaker crossover is set @ 120Hz and all the others speakers are set @ 80Hz.

If I choose the 80Hz crossover choice on the Oppo BDP-103, will that leave frequency room for the Lexicon to to additionally crossover the Center speaker @ 120Hz or do I have to set the Oppo's speaker settings to 120Hz for the Lexicon to crossover all the other speakers @ 80Hz ???

2nd question: What should be for the Oppo's distance setting for the speakers when using analog outs if the Lexicon already has distance adjustments for the speaker that are already set?

Thanks for suggestions.

Paul

Paul, you should not be trying to do Crossover processing in two places at the same time.

If the Lexicon is actually doing Crossover processing for its multi-channel Analog input then you should set speakers Large in the OPPO -- which will disable the Crossover processing in the OPPO.

Now, for the Lexicon to do that, it will need to digitize that Analog input, process it (e.g., for Crossover, but possibly other stuff as well), and then re-convert it BACK to Analog for output.

If the Lexicon is NOT doing that for the multi-channel Analog input, then it is likely that its Crossover processing is also not happening when using that input, so setting speakers to Small in the OPPO is OK.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1265 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Paul, you should not be trying to do Crossover processing in two places at the same time.
If the Lexicon is actually doing Crossover processing for its multi-channel Analog input then you should set speakers Large in the OPPO -- which will disable the Crossover processing in the OPPO.
Now, for the Lexicon to do that, it will need to digitize that Analog input, process it (e.g., for Crossover, but possibly other stuff as well), and then re-convert it BACK to Analog for output.
If the Lexicon is NOT doing that for the multi-channel Analog input, then it is likely that its Crossover processing is also not happening when using that input, so setting speakers to Small in the OPPO is OK.
--Bob
Thank You. Very much appreciated!

Paul
post #1266 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 04:01 PM

Bob,
trying to be patient here......... foot tapping. Very happy my -93 sold for near what I paid for her. Not very happy that the panny was released in the US and Europe a month ago and am having to wait until November for mine. My -103 is still TBD in Canada, but you are right that i am impatient and with foot tapping still feel like a kid at Christmas lol.
Reality is that I am trying to organise the "perfect storm" of an upgrade to my home theatre. I am sure this will be worth the wait, as was my -93. Blew the socks off any other Blue Ray player or DVD that I had ever owned.

Putting out cookies and milk biggrin.gif
post #1267 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_age View Post

It's a shame to have a such powerful hardware and a limited support from Mediatek to OPPO. mad.gif

Every post I have seen from you has been about how bad MTK (MediaTek) is, and yet you are purchasing OPPO hardware which has always been MediaTek driven. I would think that someone with your knowledge and skill would have obviously steered their ship away from the MediaTek iceberg.
erhurd likes this.
post #1268 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

Pogal,

*sings* AAN-TI-CI-PAAA-TION!!

I'd write more soothing words, but right now I need to go change the SACD in my OPPO.....
--Bob

post #1269 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 04:09 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilcar Barca View Post

Is it keyboard of the newish models with the "Unifying" receiver?

Yes, it's the Logitech unifying receiver that supports multiple simultaneous mice and keyboards. (I love those on PC's -- they work great!)

I had the same results using a Broadcom/Widcomm Bluetooth dongle which also supports multiple simultaneous mice and keyboards
post #1270 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 04:15 PM

Bob,
Lmao, on a more serious and technical note. with the Oppo -103 ability to output 4K will I be able to use it in that mode with the Panny which is native 1080p? Or is this feature only able to be used with native 4k projectors / TV's?
post #1271 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:

This is all good stuff you are finding, but just to be sure you understand, if you want to get this info to OPPO you should email OPPO tech support with your findings and suggestions. DO NOT assume they will pick up on things that are just posted here.
--Bob

I tried emailing them (tech support) several days ago about something and never got a response. I figure they are swamped with little fires to stomp out with the 10x models and my issues are way down the priority list -- especially for "experimental" feaures like SMB and USB keyboards. I'll try calling in a few days when things settle down. In the mean time, I'm using the 103 a lot, so I'm not dead in the water with some sort of insurmountable glitch.
post #1272 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogal View Post

Bob,
Lmao, on a more serious and technical note. with the Oppo -103 ability to output 4K will I be able to use it in that mode with the Panny which is native 1080p? Or is this feature only able to be used with native 4k projectors / TV's?

It will only be usable if the Display accepts HDMI 4K as a valid input format.
--Bob

post #1273 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeterJ View Post

Quote:

This is all good stuff you are finding, but just to be sure you understand, if you want to get this info to OPPO you should email OPPO tech support with your findings and suggestions. DO NOT assume they will pick up on things that are just posted here.
--Bob

I tried emailing them (tech support) several days ago about something and never got a response. I figure they are swamped with little fires to stomp out with the 10x models and my issues are way down the priority list -- especially for "experimental" feaures like SMB and USB keyboards. I'll try calling in a few days when things settle down. In the mean time, I'm using the 103 a lot, so I'm not dead in the water with some sort of insurmountable glitch.

They HAVE been a wee bit preoccupied of late. New player launches have a way of doing that. But this sort of stuff doesn't get ignored, even if they can't get back to you right away. Do check that you don't have a SPAM filter or the like set up which might be intercepting any replies from them.
--Bob

post #1274 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Actually, if you compare the biggest campaign donors across both candidates, they are startlingly similar. No, the only way to change is to buck the 2-party system.

I agree that the 2 party system needs to go but we are stuck with it for now which means the lesser of two evils vote. So to quote the knight towards the end of the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, "CHOOSE WISELY!", when you go to vote on the 6th of November. This also applies to Congress. I am a registered elephant and used to write in Ron Paul but this time I am voting for the donkeys for every office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

And that is why I buy OPPO. Superior product for independent enthusiast

Also do not forget Superior Customer Service.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #1275 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Read the FAQ!

Just a reminder folks, this thread is a politics-free zone. No need to thank me. It's all part of the service!
--Bob

post #1276 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I don't believe in donkeys, not gonna' happen. I will hoist my Oppo up on my lady liberty and be on my merry way. wink.gif
post #1277 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

I tried emailing them (tech support) several days ago about something and never got a response. I figure they are swamped with little fires to stomp out with the 10x models and my issues are way down the priority list -- especially for "experimental" feaures like SMB and USB keyboards.

Make sure the E-Mails are actually getting to OPPO (try sending a very basic message with a good subject, do not include attachments or use a template) and also check your spam filters for E-Mails from OPPO. OPPO does not ignore customers and strictly follows a 24 hours or under replay policy (even on holidays). So if you are not getting E-Mails from them, then it is likely that someone's end the E-Mails s being flagged as spam. Like many corporations, OPPO uses an automated spam filter, which can have false positives depending on the content of your E-Mail.
post #1278 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So is it official that the BDP-83 is still a better SD-DVD up converter than the new 103?
post #1279 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 04:45 PM

Question about HDMI-CEC control on a BDP-103:

My HTPC is plugged into my receiver (a Pioneer) on an HDMI input port. My BDP-103 is also plugged into my receiver on a second HDMI input port. The receiver output is then plugged into my TV (a Pioneer) via HDMI. Pretty standard configuration. So far so good.

My problem is that if I want to use the HTPC I have to power down the OPPO. If I don't, the receiver will constantly try to switch back to HDMI input for the OPPO, even if it's not playing anything. To me, this is unusual behavior and I have never seen this problem with three other BD players I have used prior to the 103. What's this all about? I want HDMI-CEC control, but I have never had this problem. I do want the 103 to wake up the TV when I power up or insert a new disc, but why does it have to continously broadcast a command that it's on and everybody should get configured to use it? It's sort of like the loud guy at the end of the bar that you can tolerate for a while but who won't ever shut up when you want to ignore him.

This is my first OPPO. Do they all do this? I know I can put the 103 in limited CEC mode but I still want it to send out a power-up command when I turn it on or insert a disc.
post #1280 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzyboy View Post

So is it official that the BDP-83 is still a better SD-DVD up converter than the new 103?
Nope, not official.

Luckily, both are excellent. While the differences are extremely minor (IMHO) and probably oblivious to non-AVS members (IMHO) I can see folks having a preference for one or the other but it's certainly not an official consensus.
Dizzyboy likes this.
post #1281 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Question about HDMI-CEC control on a BDP-103:

My HTPC is plugged into my receiver (a Pioneer) on an HDMI input port. My BDP-103 is also plugged into my receiver on a second HDMI input port. The receiver output is then plugged into my TV (a Pioneer) via HDMI. Pretty standard configuration. So far so good.

My problem is that if I want to use the HTPC I have to power down the OPPO. If I don't, the receiver will constantly try to switch back to HDMI input for the OPPO, even if it's not playing anything. To me, this is unusual behavior and I have never seen this problem with three other BD players I have used prior to the 103. What's this all about? I want HDMI-CEC control, but I have never had this problem. I do want the 103 to wake up the TV when I power up or insert a new disc, but why does it have to continously broadcast a command that it's on and everybody should get configured to use it? It's sort of like the loud guy at the end of the bar that you can tolerate for a while but who won't ever shut up when you want to ignore him.

This is my first OPPO. Do they all do this? I know I can put the 103 in limited CEC mode but I still want it to send out a power-up command when I turn it on or insert a disc.

Good question! I don't use CEC so I don't really have an answer for you. I'm also not sure what the HDMI spec currently mandates for players with CEC enabled.

Let OPPO know of the CEC-enabled players you have tried that do NOT do this, and they can check into it.

Meanwhile, check in your Pioneer to see if it offers a way to tone down its eagerness to respond to the presence of the OPPO. That could easily be a per-input setting, and if you have the OPPO on a new input, it might need to be adjusted.
--Bob

post #1282 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 05:15 PM

I have the 103 and want to connect to my Denon AVR 4810 and the Pioneer plasma. I was advised by Oppo to do through HDMI2 to the Denon for both audio or video or HDMI1 for video and HDMI2 for audio. Äccording to them no difference .Quote from Oppo:

"With the BDP-103 the Marvel solution is only used for the advanced Picture Adjustments and 4K scaling. Everything else is done through the MediaTek decoder, unlike the BDP-93 which used the Marvel solution for all video processing"

I thought it is better to do through HDMI1 for both audio and video. I have SACDs as well. So how should I be connecting to my Denon and Pioneer?
post #1283 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogal View Post

Bob,
trying to be patient here......... foot tapping. Very happy my -93 sold for near what I paid for her. Not very happy that the panny was released in the US and Europe a month ago and am having to wait until November for mine. My -103 is still TBD in Canada, but you are right that i am impatient and with foot tapping still feel like a kid at Christmas lol.
Reality is that I am trying to organise the "perfect storm" of an upgrade to my home theatre. I am sure this will be worth the wait, as was my -93. Blew the socks off any other Blue Ray player or DVD that I had ever owned.
Putting out cookies and milk biggrin.gif

To Canadian members,

I live in Toronto and placed my pre-order for 103 with "Only Best Rated" in Toronto, for shipment on Nov 2.

http://www.onlybestrated.com/oppo-bdp-103-universal-network-3d-blu-ray-disc-player.html

Good luck with your orders ...
post #1284 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljoseph View Post

I have the 103 and want to connect to my Denon AVR 4810 and the Pioneer plasma. I was advised by Oppo to do through HDMI2 to the Denon for both audio or video or HDMI1 for video and HDMI2 for audio. Äccording to them no difference .Quote from Oppo:

"With the BDP-103 the Marvel solution is only used for the advanced Picture Adjustments and 4K scaling. Everything else is done through the MediaTek decoder, unlike the BDP-93 which used the Marvel solution for all video processing"

I thought it is better to do through HDMI for both audio and video. I have SACDs as well. So how should I be connecting to my Denon and Pioneer?

We can't know how the conversation developed with OPPO, so we can't know just what they were trying to set up for you.

You mention you want to do SACD. If you want to send HDMI DSD to your Denon while playing SACD discs, then you will need to use HDMI 2 for that. If you are OK sending HDMI PCM to your Denon while playing SACD you can use HDMI 1 OR HDMI 2 for that.

Another alternative setup, if you want to keep the option to use HDMI DSD for SACD playback is to wire BOTH HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 to the Denon. For normal playback use the HDMI 1 connection for BOTH audio and video -- the HDMI 2 connection (on a different input of the Denon) gets ignored. HDMI 1 will also work for SACD playback using HDMI LPCM. For SACD playback, where you want to use HDMI DSD instead, switch inputs on the Denon and use the HDMI 2 connection for both audio and video. The HDMI 1 connection (on your original Denon input) gets ignored. The audio can then be HDMI DSD. The video does not go through the QDEO processing, but you do not need fancy video when playing an SACD.

Now if you wire HDMI 1 direct to your Pioneer Display and HDMI 2 to the Denon you can also do SACD HDMI DSD to the Denon that way. The difference is that now you use an additional HDMI input on the Pioneer instead of on the Denon.
--Bob

post #1285 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardkim View Post

To Canadian members,

I live in Toronto and placed my pre-order for 103 with "Only Best Rated" in Toronto, for shipment on Nov 2.

Good luck with your orders ...

Interesting find. Here's the link:

http://www.onlybestrated.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=oppo&x=0&y=0

I do not know whether these folks have a track record with OPPO Digital already or not.
--Bob

post #1286 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 05:39 PM

Edward kim,
The site you mention states they are the only Canadian retailer? Is this the case? What happened to AV Solutions? Hop into this discussion please Oppo.
post #1287 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 05:45 PM

Ohhhhhhhhh my worst nightmare of my "perfect storm" is coming true... Will the real Canadian retailer please stand up.....Please stand up.....please stand up. (singing here)
mad.gif
post #1288 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:

We can't know how the conversation developed with OPPO, so we can't know just what they were trying to set up for you.
You mention you want to do SACD. If you want to send HDMI DSD to your Denon while playing SACD discs, then you will need to use HDMI 2 for that. If you are OK sending HDMI PCM to your Denon while playing SACD you can use HDMI 1 OR HDMI 2 for that.
Another alternative setup, if you want to keep the option to use HDMI DSD for SACD playback is to wire BOTH HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 to the Denon. For normal playback use the HDMI 1 connection for BOTH audio and video -- the HDMI 2 connection (on a different input of the Denon) gets ignored. HDMI 1 will also work for SACD playback using HDMI LPCM. For SACD playback, where you want to use HDMI DSD instead, switch inputs on the Denon and use the HDMI 2 connection for both audio and video. The HDMI 1 connection (on your original Denon input) gets ignored. The audio can then be HDMI DSD. The video does not go through the QDEO processing, but you do not need fancy video when playing an SACD.
Now if you wire HDMI 1 direct to your Pioneer Display and HDMI 2 to the Denon you can also do SACD HDMI DSD to the Denon that way. The difference is that now you use an additional HDMI input on the Pioneer instead of on the Denon.
--Bob

Hi Bob

Thanks for the reply. What I wanted to do was to get the best picture for video and sound for SACDs. I read that HDMI1 gets you the best picture through the Marvell processor and for SACDs try and do it with DSD through HDMI2. So Do I just use HDMI1 for both video and audio or split it like you suggested. I don't play 2 channe lstereo on the Oppo.
post #1289 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 05:52 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

--Bob
The Lexicon is capable of digitizing the analog input and applying crossover and room correction processing (if the MC-12 has the optional EQ hardware installed) to it. Even though it's getting rather long in the tooth at this point, the MC-12 does an excellent job of converting to digital and then back to analog, on a par with other high end surround processors like the Denon AVP-A1HDCI and Anthem D2v.
post #1290 of 17984 Old 10-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljoseph View Post

Hi Bob

Thanks for the reply. What I wanted to do was to get the best picture for video and sound for SACDs. I read that HDMI1 gets you the best picture through the Marvell processor and for SACDs try and do it with DSD through HDMI2. So Do I just use HDMI1 for both video and audio or split it like you suggested. I don't play 2 channe lstereo on the Oppo.

I recommend you use HDMI 1 for video whenever you care about video quality. Now, unlike the earlier OPPO players, the video quality on HDMI 2 from the 103 will be MUCH CLOSER to what HDMI 1 produces, but still HDMI 1 has a few tricks up its sleeve.

Many folks are perfectly fine with HDMI LPCM for SACD playback. My Anthem Statement D2v, for example, doesn't even accept HDMI DSD input. But if you want to retain the option of experimenting with HDMI DSD into your Denon -- so you can decide for yourself -- then you will need to hookup HDMI 2.

So wire HDMI 2 to the Denon and EITHER wire HDMI 1 direct to the Pioneer or wire it to another input of the Denon as I described above. The difference is whether you are switching input choices on the Pioneer or on the Denon.
--Bob

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page