AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

I plan to report these to Oppo.

The DTS-ES Discreet testing I did was actually with a CD source (the only source of it I have). The Dolby Digital EX was from DVD sources. I'm uncertain if I have any source for DTS-ES Matrix, so I haven't tested that. Using the DTS-HD MA 6.1 Blu-ray track was only to verify that playback being limited to 5.1 channels when the BDP-103 is performing bitstream decoding was only occurring with DTS-ES and DD EX sources, not with other 6.1 or 7.1 channel sources. The DTS-HD MA 6.1 does work correctly.
I've uploaded a couple of 6.1Ch DTS-ES samples for you to try. Both of which work fine for me. Do they for you?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0oknng

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12962 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by B 26354 View Post

Best regards to Sebastopol, by the way; home of Ibis Cycles. Still ride my '86 mountainbike that Scott custom-made for me.

Hah! I still have my 1985 Ibis, #112, made by Scott for me. smile.gif Speedmaster (WTB) brakes, custom angles, etc. Picked it up in... Sebastopol at his house. Ah, the old days of Mt. Tam.
post #12963 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Also, the thumb drives don't require any external power.

Today's external hard drives don't require any external power either wink.gif
post #12964 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quick question. For some odd reason, I can't find my OPPO manual. I'm sure it's somewhere buried in all the other manuals I've kept for HT gear over the past decade, but I'm either not seeing it. Or, it's wandered off to a different location.

Onto the question....for comparison's sake, I want to have my pre-pro/AVR to do the DTS-HD/Dolby True HD decoding. What I can't find in the OPPO menu, is how to just use the player as a transport. Again, I'm sure it's something simple that I'm just overlooking. Gimme a hint here on where to look to make these changes.

Gracias!!!!!

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #12965 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 07:08 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

Quick question. For some odd reason, I can't find my OPPO manual. I'm sure it's somewhere buried in all the other manuals I've kept for HT gear over the past decade, but I'm either not seeing it. Or, it's wandered off to a different location.

Onto the question....for comparison's sake, I want to have my pre-pro/AVR to do the DTS-HD/Dolby True HD decoding. What I can't find in the OPPO menu, is how to just use the player as a transport. Again, I'm sure it's something simple that I'm just overlooking. Gimme a hint here on where to look to make these changes.

Gracias!!!!!

The manual is online.

Setup -> Audio Format Setup -> HDMI Audio -> Bitstream

-Bill
post #12966 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

Gracias!!!!!

Not trying to be a smart-a$$, just helpful. Here you go . . .

http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP103/BDP-103_USER_MANUAL_English_v1.6.pdf

Best regards,
Lloyd C.

post #12967 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 07:17 AM

Liked: 10
Guys need your help.
I'm having problems with my BDP-103 and Darbee DVP-5000.
My current connection is BDP-103 HDMI 1 output going Darbee Darbee then to Panasonic AE-7000...

When my Resolution Settings in my Oppo is set to Auto it seems that the Darbee is not accepting the video signal and thus my AE-7000 doesn't detect any source input.
Then I tried the 1080i Resolution setting in the Oppo and it works...

I tried removing the Darbee and connecting directly my Oppo to my AE-7000 and it works even if the Oppo Resolution setting is set to Auto or 1080p...

I also tried turning off the 1080p24 output in the Oppo video settings as well as choosing every option in the Color Space and Deep Color settings of the Oppo but still the same result when I connected it to the Darbee...
I even tried changing the HDMI cables but to no avail mad.gif

What other option or settings should I change so that the Darbee would accept 1080p signal from my Oppo?

Thanks in advance smile.gif
post #12968 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 07:22 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie_18 View Post

Guys need your help.
I'm having problems with my BDP-103 and Darbee DVP-5000.
My current connection is BDP-103 HDMI 1 output going Darbee Darbee then to Panasonic AE-7000...

When my Resolution Settings in my Oppo is set to Auto it seems that the Darbee is not accepting the video signal and thus my AE-7000 doesn't detect any source input.
Then I tried the 1080i Resolution setting in the Oppo and it works...

You don't mention trying 1080p output resolution, which is the result you want. Is that not working?

-Bill
post #12969 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 07:36 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You don't mention trying 1080p output resolution, which is the result you want. Is that not working?

-Bill

Yup, it's also not working. Sorry wasn't able to specify that biggrin.gif
The resolutions working when connected to the Darbee is 1080i and below...

Thanks smile.gif
post #12970 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 07:55 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie_18 View Post

Yup, it's also not working. Sorry wasn't able to specify that biggrin.gif
The resolutions working when connected to the Darbee is 1080i and below...

Thanks smile.gif

Ok, so 1080p works when connected directly to the display, but not with the Darbee between. 1080i works both ways.

Please confirm that you have:
  • 1080p24 OFF (note: this is separate from the DVD 24p setting)
  • HDMI color space set to YCbCr 4:4:4
  • HDMI Deep Color OFF

Still no good? What if you try the HDMI2 output instead, settings as above?

-Bill
post #12971 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

I've uploaded a couple of 6.1Ch DTS-ES samples for you to try. Both of which work fine for me. Do they for you?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0oknng

Cheers

Thanks. I'll try to play these sometime soon. I don't normally use the Oppo to play music files from my computer (DLNA and such) because my AVR works better for that and then I don't even have to turn the Oppo on. So I'm not sure if it's going to be easier to try to set that up, or just copy the file off to a USB flash drive (not easy to access as I have it set up right now. I probably just need to buy another one for temporary stuff like this to plug in the front). Are these samples all of the matrixed type DTS-ES?
post #12972 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 08:46 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Yes, the MediaTek scaling is non-ringing. It is one of the big improvements in the latest MediaTek chips.
--Bob

This is actually my favorite thing about the 103 (and I'm hoping the 103D, when it arrives next week). Virtually no ringing!

It's part of why I found the Sharpness +1 "solution" so tragic. I've been known to whine a little about the DNR applied by the Marvel, especially on SD sources. But to my eyes and on my set-up the the Sharpness +1 adjustment brings the ringing back with a vengeance, completely defeating what I feel is one of the little miracles of this player.

post #12973 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Not trying to be a smart-a$$, just helpful. Here you go . . .

http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP103/BDP-103_USER_MANUAL_English_v1.6.pdf

No....not at all. Thanks so much to you and Bill.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #12974 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 12:30 PM

Liked: 23

Where does DAC (digital to audio conversion) occur with OPPO 103 for video?

The OPPO 103 decodes the video off disc and then sends this data to the TV. Is it sending analog or digital data? Is the TV converting the digital to analog or is the OPPO? Assume HDMI connection with CRT (ie analog) TV. Does this change if assuming a digital (LCD/Plasma) TV?

Concerning audio with an HDMI connection, the OPPO can send LPCM to AVR for the AVR to convert the LPCM to analog and then output to the speakers. Or the OPPO can send Bitstream to the AVR and the AVR will first decode the bitstream to LPCM and then convert that to analog for output to the speakers. If the analog connectors are used on the OPPO, then I assume the OPPO will convert the digital to analog and send an analog signal out. I'm trying to understand this process for the video element.

Trying to understand all this better. Thanks for anyone that can help me out.

post #12975 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 01:04 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqwk50 View Post

Where does DAC (digital to audio conversion) occur with OPPO 103 for video?

The OPPO 103 decodes the video off disc and then sends this data to the TV. Is it sending analog or digital data? Is the TV converting the digital to analog or is the OPPO? Assume HDMI connection with CRT (ie analog) TV. Does this change if assuming a digital (LCD/Plasma) TV?

Video is all digital these days, no DACs involved, until inside the TV when it must generate some pictures. HDMI is a digital only carrier.
Quote:
Concerning audio with an HDMI connection, the OPPO can send LPCM to AVR for the AVR to convert the LPCM to analog and then output to the speakers. Or the OPPO can send Bitstream to the AVR and the AVR will first decode the bitstream to LPCM and then convert that to analog for output to the speakers. If the analog connectors are used on the OPPO, then I assume the OPPO will convert the digital to analog and send an analog signal out. I'm trying to understand this process for the video element.

All correct. Only when you use the analog outputs are the player's DACs used.

-Bill
post #12976 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post

Does anyone have the Roku stick? and how does it compare to the Roku 3 box?
The stick does not support wired network connectivity, so you are subject to all the crappy vagaries of wireless streaming. Repeat after me - wireless sucks for streaming. Avoid it if you can.

On the flip side, you can use your Oppo remote with the stick - and the stick is half the price.

In the end, I dropped the stick and went with the Roku 3 because the networking issue trumped everything else. I jack it straight into my AVR, since it can already output 1080p and there is really no mechanism AFAIK to take advantage of the Oppo's video processing with it anyway.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-77 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #12977 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post

The stick does not support wired network connectivity, so you are subject to all the crappy vagaries of wireless streaming. Repeat after me - wireless sucks for streaming. Avoid it if you can.

On the flip side, you can use your Oppo remote with the stick - and the stick is half the price.

In the end, I dropped the stick and went with the Roku 3 because the networking issue trumped everything else. I jack it straight into my AVR, since it can already output 1080p and there is really no mechanism AFAIK to take advantage of the Oppo's video processing with it anyway.
I didn't find that the case with wireless streaming, as observed with both a RSS and a AppleTV3 connected to the two HDMI inputs on the BDP-105 I have. Depends on your WiFi gear used and of course your ISP connectivity. Playback using both have been fluid and usually at higher stream rates. On rare occasions I had the stream stop because of something happening with the host, but otherwise nothing to complain about.

The fact that Roku put their whole package in a dongle sized device is neat, but as you say its not at all useful for someone with wired connectivity. wink.gif

Oppo Beta Group
post #12978 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 838
^ Similarly, I use Wifi exclusively, but with the native OPPO apps and with the ROKU Streaming Stick, even though I have Ethernet access available for the OPPO, just to check for problems like this.

I've had no problems that can be ascribed to the use of Wifi. You DO have to be careful to see that you have reasonable signal strength, and that you aren't operating your Wifi on a channel that's in heavy use by the neighbors.

Of course with Ethernet there are no such worries. But if the Wifi is working reasonably for computer use, it should also be working reasonably for the OPPO/ROKU apps.

NOTE: It IS possible for an Ethernet setup to work even WORSE than a Wifi setup. This can happen if you are mixing Gigabit with non-Gigabit gear in your Ethernet configuration and flow control is not properly set up in that set of Ethernet devices. What happens is that the faster units overrun the slower units, causing resends. No data is lost (because the resends work) but the extra resend traffic clobbers the throughput of the Ethernet. We've already had reports here of folks trying to stream from, e.g., SMB servers to the OPPO where Wifi worked when Ethernet failed to work. And that's what was happening. (The Wifi gear imposes flow control, so it doesn't exhibit the problem.)
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #12979 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 02:31 PM

Liked: 22
Anyone going to answer me? How can the oppo be causing someone's black levels on their tv to rise? He says he is waiting on an email from oppo, not Panasonic, so obviously he was indeed saying the player caused it.
post #12980 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 02:37 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

Anyone going to answer me?

People are trying to be kind. You're not having a problem yourself, right?
Quote:
How can the oppo be causing someone's black levels on their tv to rise? He says he is waiting on an email from oppo, not Panasonic, so obviously he was indeed saying the player caused it.

The player can't do that, presuming the Picture Adjustment controls are at zero. Using RGB PC Level is almost always a mistake, a misunderstanding of what the display requires.

Apart from that: the display may be buggy in responding to certain color spaces, resolutions, frame rates. The player doesn't cause that.

-Bill
post #12981 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:

Anyone going to answer me? How can the oppo be causing someone's black levels on their tv to rise? He says he is waiting on an email from oppo, not Panasonic, so obviously he was indeed saying the player caused it.
I don't know if "He Says" is qualified to diagnose either a Blu-ray player or a plasma TV. Maybe the fact that no one is trying to relieve your angst is that they are exhausted from previous attempts. Try waiting to see if "He Says" posts OPPO's reply.

OPPO may suggest to "He Says" that he get his TV calibrated and that he make sure that his OPPO picture settings are at default settings.
post #12982 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Oppo Tech Support just now confirmed that my 103 CAN recognize multiple USB thumb-drives, using a multi-input USB hub! Here's their response (which exactly mirrors Neuromancer's):

"As long as the USB hub in question is just a simple hub that has no hub management, which this hub appears to be, then it will work with the player. As long as the player can interface directly with the attached USB drives, the player will work perfectly with an attached hub and show each drive as a separate USB device."

Yet another in a never-ending-series of reasons why Oppo BD/CD players are the best on the planet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

Today's external hard drives don't require any external power either wink.gif

Thanks, Andrew... I do have a 250GB USB external which I use for backing-up my laptop, and it doesn't require separate power... but I didn't actually realize that was true for all of today's large external HDs.

Even so -- re-addressing the question about why I don't just use a single large external USB hard-drive to accomplish my purpose -- probably the best reason for using multiple USB thumbs in this way, is that I am able to create a playlist for each thumb-drive -- so I end up with playlists for each separate genre of music to which I listen.

Using a single hard-drive would not allow that possibility, since no attached drive can have more than one playlist.
post #12983 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

So would you rather, to put it bluntly, have more **** broken for other people just to fix the stuff which is broken for you? That is a little selfish, don't you think?

A little defensive and accusatory, aren't we?

They broke core functionality 4 months ago. And yes, it's taken them a little while longer than I'd like to see it fixed. Once again, the tendency is there to assume that because YOU aren't affected by the problem, the value in fixing it is diminished. It's also easy for someone with access to pre-release firmware to throw stones at those of us who just have to twiddle our thumbs while we wait.

I would've taken beta firmware that fixes 24Hz and breaks other things in the meantime, and nobody else would've been forced to use it if it had undesirable side effects in their system.
post #12984 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 838
^ Trust me. You do not want private Beta firmware that doesn't make it out as a Public Beta.

The interactions here are complicated -- probably how the bug snuck in in the first place. If there were an easy fix, it would be out there already. OPPO is on the case, but the fix is not ready yet.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #12985 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

I do have a 250GB USB external which I use for backing-up my laptop, and it doesn't require separate power... but I didn't actually realize that was true for of today's large external HDs.
Certainly not true of ALL external HD's.

In my experience, virtually all 1TB-2TB and larger USB drives are really SATA drives inside an external enclosure that has a USB interface to the computer. But the SATA drive inside requires a SATA power connector, which cannot be satisfied by the power running through the USB interface. So these drives always have a separate standard 12v AC power adapter that plugs into the drive (i.e. via the external enclosure), in order to provide adequate SATA power. Same as would be the case for an internal SATA hard drive inside your computer... it needs SATA power.
post #12986 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 04:49 PM

Anyone going to ever tell me if there is some centralized list of issues with the 103, waiting to be fixed? I want to be sure I know what all is going on. I think the 24fps issue was only for a certain file type which won't affect me, but there's a lottttt of bugs, apparently, and I may have overlooked some which I will run into.
post #12987 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 04:53 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Anyone going to ever tell me if there is some centralized list of issues with the 103, waiting to be fixed? I want to be sure I know what all is going on. I think the 24fps issue was only for a certain file type which won't affect me, but there's a lottttt of bugs, apparently, and I may have overlooked some which I will run into.

No, there is no such list.

-Bill
post #12988 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Trust me. You do not want private Beta firmware that doesn't make it out as a Public Beta.

The interactions here are complicated -- probably how the bug snuck in in the first place. If there were an easy fix, it would be out there already. OPPO is on the case, but the fix is not ready yet.
--Bob

Thanks, Bob. I appreciate Oppo's diligence, even if I'm impatient about it smile.gif We all have things in this hobby that we're really picky about, and for me, it's motion judder caused by 24Hz > 60Hz conversion. Sticks out like a sore thumb to me. And frankly, I should've known better than to upgrade to a new firmware without a specific reason. It's a lesson learned.

It hasn't been a problem in some cases because I have the Blu-ray disc to fall back on, but for (legitimate) downloads, like iTunes media, there's no alternative.
post #12989 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 05:15 PM

Companied should start having their own public copies of known issues, if for no other reason than to then shut up the customers asking them about the same thing over and over.
Mike_WI likes this.
post #12990 of 17935 Old 11-06-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:

Oppo Tech Support just now confirmed that my 103 CAN recognize multiple USB thumb-drives, using a multi-input USB hub! Here's their response (which exactly mirrors Neuromancer's):

"As long as the USB hub in question is just a simple hub that has no hub management, which this hub appears to be, then it will work with the player. As long as the player can interface directly with the attached USB drives, the player will work perfectly with an attached hub and show each drive as a separate USB device."

Yet another in a never-ending-series of reasons why Oppo BD/CD players are the best on the planet!
Thanks, Andrew... I do have a 250GB USB external which I use for backing-up my laptop, and it doesn't require separate power... but I didn't actually realize that was true for all of today's large external HDs.

Even so -- re-addressing the question about why I don't just use a single large external USB hard-drive to accomplish my purpose -- probably the best reason for using multiple USB thumbs in this way, is that I am able to create a playlist for each thumb-drive -- so I end up with playlists for each separate genre of music to which I listen.

Using a single hard-drive would not allow that possibility, since no attached drive can have more than one playlist.

Can't you partition a hard drive into different drives with your different genre on each partition?

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page