Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 436 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #13051 of 18347 Old 11-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
bluechunks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Maple Grove, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

Here is some reading :
And some more....

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/09/netflix-no-longer-blocks-best-hd-content-when-feuding-with-your-isp/
bluechunks is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13052 of 18347 Old 11-11-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 2,535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

When using Netflix, there are still two instances where the player can still fail running Netflix. The first is when the player is switching from one feed to another (such as when the player is loading the next episode in a series), the second is when you are navigating menus in Netflix.

For the first issue, don't let Netflix automatically start the stream after 15 seconds. Manually start the stream.

For the second issue, there is nothing you can do as it is mostly random.

OPPO plans on fixing both issues.

Let me add a third problem (I've never had the two problems that Neuro cited): There are random times when I can't connect to Netflix at all with the 103, but I never have a problem with my Roku. Both are connected to the router by ethernet cable, and the Oppo is set with DNS as 008.008.008.008, as someone suggested to me earlier. I have the latest public beta firmware installed.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
pbarach is offline  
post #13053 of 18347 Old 11-11-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
subavision212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

Do many people here have experience with the 103 being as good or superior in video performance to a PS3 or Sony S550?

I read some people find the HDMI 1 output can look a little bit soft, and/or has a bit of noise reduction you cannot turn off. Somebody in the 103D thread also mentioned a sharpness pumping issue they didn't like on the HDMI 1 output. Since I will use the analog inputs on my receiver in order to obtain 7.1 HD audio, can I use either of the HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 outputs to connect to my TV depending on which I prefer? is one output better for DVD's than the other?
The 550 was the first blu-ray player in my HT. It did a nice job considering it was the first time seeing blu-ray on my ISF calibrated 65" Panasonic plasma. I bought the 83 then replaced that with the 103 and to my eyes both the OPPOs created a more film-like look with blu-rays. I say this because I've been a professional photographer since 1976 and have shot every type of film there was and my first view of PQ with the OPPOs reminded me of shooting with Kodachrome slide film, re-creating a richness and smoothness of color that I was immediately impressed with. Looking at the 550 with the same source material looked a tad artificial or mechanical in its reproduction of the material. Crisp but not as warm as the OPPOs. I have never noticed the softness some people have mentioned on HDMI 1 nor seen any difference between 1 and 2. I also used the analog outs on both the 550 and the 83 and though I am no audiophile I did notice a substantial difference in the sound quality from the 83 compared to the 550. I say try both inputs and see if one looks better than the other and go with that. I have also been using a separate Darblet with both units since it came out and am a believer in what it does to help improve the PQ in my HT. The proof for me came when people who were familiar with the images on my display all mentioned the fact that the PQ looked better and wondered why. To me that was a pretty good testimonial.
cpc likes this.

subavision212 is online now  
post #13054 of 18347 Old 11-11-2013, 07:31 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold
 
cpc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Toronto,ON,Canada
Posts: 7,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

The 550 was the first blu-ray player in my HT. It did a nice job considering it was the first time seeing blu-ray on my ISF calibrated 65" Panasonic plasma. I bought the 83 then replaced that with the 103 and to my eyes both the OPPOs created a more film-like look with blu-rays. I say this because I've been a professional photographer since 1976 and have shot every type of film there was and my first view of PQ with the OPPOs reminded me of shooting with Kodachrome slide film, re-creating a richness and smoothness of color that I was immediately impressed with. Looking at the 550 with the same source material looked a tad artificial or mechanical in its reproduction of the material. Crisp but not as warm as the OPPOs. I have never noticed the softness some people have mentioned on HDMI 1 nor seen any difference between 1 and 2. I also used the analog outs on both the 550 and the 83 and though I am no audiophile I did notice a substantial difference in the sound quality from the 83 compared to the 550. I say try both inputs and see if one looks better than the other and go with that. I have also been using a separate Darblet with both units since it came out and am a believer in what it does to help improve the PQ in my HT. The proof for me came when people who were familiar with the images on my display all mentioned the fact that the PQ looked better and wondered why. To me that was a pretty good testimonial.

Thanks, great feedback. Ok, so you are comparing the S550 with the 103 favourable to the 103, and of course the darbee effects, which speaks to the 103D in a way. What size is your display. Right now I have a 60" ST30 Panny plasma. Probably replacing it with a 60 or 65" ST60 and possible PJ in the future.
cpc is offline  
post #13055 of 18347 Old 11-11-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
DSperber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA, USA
Posts: 5,425
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

Right now I have a 60" ST30 Panny plasma. Probably replacing it with a 60 or 65" ST60 and possible PJ in the future.
Whatever you want to do, if it involves a Panasonic plasma set you'd better do it fast.

Panasonic has decided to end development, manufacture, and sale of their plasma sets.

And nobody's happy.

But maybe the newer upcoming technologies (e.g. OLED in large size that is affordable) will even be superior.

Thankfully, my D-Nice calibrated 65VT50 should last me for many years (along with my 103, through which I feed by DVR into external HDMI).
DSperber is offline  
post #13056 of 18347 Old 11-12-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
subavision212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

Thanks, great feedback. Ok, so you are comparing the S550 with the 103 favourable to the 103, and of course the darbee effects, which speaks to the 103D in a way. What size is your display. Right now I have a 60" ST30 Panny plasma. Probably replacing it with a 60 or 65" ST60 and possible PJ in the future.
I have a 65" Panasonic plasma. I'd get a 65" if your space can handle it. The reviews for the ST60 have been very good so that would be a good choice. I have a 55ST50 in my living room and the PQ with a few tweaks is so nice I decided against ISF calibration and the ST60 line is supposed be better. And just to be sure, though I liked the 550, after buying my Oppo units I would not use the 550 in my HT, only in a bedroom or the like. (I gave it to my mother to use.)

subavision212 is online now  
post #13057 of 18347 Old 11-12-2013, 09:06 AM
Member
 
pqwk50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post


I would add to that buy it and keep it for 2-3 years until the next Oppo you like comes out and SELL the first one for 50-60% of what you paid for it. My 103 cost me ~$200 after I sound the 83 it replaced.


where did you sell your 83 at?

 

I'm wondering what venues to look at for selling older equiment.

pqwk50 is offline  
post #13058 of 18347 Old 11-12-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,805
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by pqwk50 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

I would add to that buy it and keep it for 2-3 years until the next Oppo you like comes out and SELL the first one for 50-60% of what you paid for it. My 103 cost me ~$200 after I sound the 83 it replaced.


where did you sell your 83 at?

I'm wondering what venues to look at for selling older equiment.
I sold our 83 to a local buyer by posting it here at AVS. I priced it $20 under the current E-Bay price.

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

htwaits is offline  
post #13059 of 18347 Old 11-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Member
 
warrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I sold our 83 to a local buyer by posting it here at AVS. I priced it $20 under the current E-Bay price.

I just sold my region free BDP-80 doing exactly the same thing. Based on that experience, I would at least start by trying to sell my consumer electronics here before moving on ebay and amazon and such.

________________________________________
Sony Bravia KDL-55BX520 / Pioneer VSX-54TX
OPPO BDP-103D / Xfinity X1 / Klipsch Speakers
warrian is offline  
post #13060 of 18347 Old 11-12-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dsinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by pqwk50 View Post


where did you sell your 83 at?

I'm wondering what venues to look at for selling older equiment.

I use Amazon. The used buyer has all the info that a new buyer would and there is a used link and prices listed on the same page as the new item if still available.
dsinger is offline  
post #13061 of 18347 Old 11-12-2013, 03:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Repdetect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I sold my 83se on audiogon.

Have had great selling/buying experiences there for 10 years.

Low fees.
chidancer likes this.

Mitsubishi WD73-742, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo 3.1/ Reference AV center/ Adiva-ti surrounds, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Toshiba HD-A3. Roku XS

 

"All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."

Repdetect is offline  
post #13062 of 18347 Old 11-12-2013, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
aboroth00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I just recently purchased a BDP-103 and got everything updated. However, I've had the netflix application freeze on me three times now. The loading screen would pop up for a while and it looks like it's loading and then the screen would go blank while the Netflix would display on BD player. Is this a common problem?
aboroth00 is offline  
post #13063 of 18347 Old 11-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboroth00 View Post

I just recently purchased a BDP-103 and got everything updated. However, I've had the netflix application freeze on me three times now. The loading screen would pop up for a while and it looks like it's loading and then the screen would go blank while the Netflix would display on BD player. Is this a common problem?

Check the firmware you currently have installed: Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information> Main firmware version number.

You may have the latest Official firmware -- ends in 0719. There is newer Public Beta firmware -- ends 0808B. That Public Beta firmware has, among other things, fixes for Netflix stalls.

You can get the Public Beta firmware by downloading it from the OPPO web site and installing via a USB stick. If you have a North American version of the 103, you get that from the OPPO Digital web site here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103-Support.aspx

After doing the firmware install you should Reset the player. On the first power up after the install, a Recommended Reset will be offered. That's all you need to do.

There are still a few ways Netflix can stall even with that Public Beta firmware, but the most common cases are fixed in it.
--Bob


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #13064 of 18347 Old 11-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
aboroth00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Check the firmware you currently have installed: Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information> Main firmware version number.

You may have the latest Official firmware -- ends in 0719. There is newer Public Beta firmware -- ends 0808B. That Public Beta firmware has, among other things, fixes for Netflix stalls.

You can get the Public Beta firmware by downloading it from the OPPO web site and installing via a USB stick. If you have a North American version of the 103, you get that from the OPPO Digital web site here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103-Support.aspx

After doing the firmware install you should Reset the player. On the first power up after the install, a Recommended Reset will be offered. That's all you need to do.

There are still a few ways Netflix can stall even with that Public Beta firmware, but the most common cases are fixed in it.
--Bob

Thanks for the info Bob, I'm away from my setup now but I'll be sure to check that when I get to it. I was under the impression that hte player was completely updated because it had automatically updated itself and I factory reset it as well. So you cannot get the newest public firmware through an automatic update? You have to actually download it off the oppo site?
aboroth00 is offline  
post #13065 of 18347 Old 11-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboroth00 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Check the firmware you currently have installed: Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information> Main firmware version number.

You may have the latest Official firmware -- ends in 0719. There is newer Public Beta firmware -- ends 0808B. That Public Beta firmware has, among other things, fixes for Netflix stalls.

You can get the Public Beta firmware by downloading it from the OPPO web site and installing via a USB stick. If you have a North American version of the 103, you get that from the OPPO Digital web site here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103-Support.aspx

After doing the firmware install you should Reset the player. On the first power up after the install, a Recommended Reset will be offered. That's all you need to do.

There are still a few ways Netflix can stall even with that Public Beta firmware, but the most common cases are fixed in it.
--Bob

Thanks for the info Bob, I'm away from my setup now but I'll be sure to check that when I get to it. I was under the impression that hte player was completely updated because it had automatically updated itself and I factory reset it as well. So you cannot get the newest public firmware through an automatic update? You have to actually download it off the oppo site?

Only the "Official" releases are offered for Internet install. The Public Beta releases you need to go get from the OPPO Digital site for install via USB stick. The idea is that this will give you a chance to read the release notes about the Public Beta firmware, and make the choice to do the install.
--Bob


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #13066 of 18347 Old 11-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ganymed4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 52
My apologies in advance, if this has been asked or stated before already and I searched the thread for 'DVD image' but couldn't find anything useful.

Therefore my question: After the last firmware update .img files are not shown in the list of files from the network anymore. Has the industry tightened the 'screws' a bit more again?

Also not really all files are shown, if I use 'Folders' on 'Network' with DLNA or CIFS/SMB. I expected to see all files with CIFS/SMB, which is not the case. I am using the latest public beta.
Ganymed4 is offline  
post #13067 of 18347 Old 11-13-2013, 10:17 AM
Newbie
 
geoffgoddard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
+1 on the Netflix freeze up issue. I looked at the release notes for the update, but I don't recall seeing a reference to Netflix . Perhaps I missed it. Isn't that beta release from August? Shouldn't it be a regular release by now?
geoffgoddard is online now  
post #13068 of 18347 Old 11-13-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffgoddard View Post

+1 on the Netflix freeze up issue. I looked at the release notes for the update, but I don't recall seeing a reference to Netflix . Perhaps I missed it. Isn't that beta release from August? Shouldn't it be a regular release by now?

The last Public Beta was released in August. There is new Official Firmware coming from OPPO. It was supposed to be released by the end of October. Guess they are still working on it.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
Mongo171 is online now  
post #13069 of 18347 Old 11-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Member
 
pqwk50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg661 View Posthttp://www.avsforum.com/t/1496824/what-are-your-favorite-blu-ray-players#post_23883230

I own both the PS3 and the Oppo BDP-93. I have to give the edge to the PS3 still being a bit more capable. There have been a few cases where I have received some beat up disks from Netflix and the Oppo wouldn't play them, but the PS3 would. Other than that I would say they both do an outstanding job.

 

Guys, what accounts for this issue?

 

If the disc is playable at all, wouldn't all players get the same result?

pqwk50 is offline  
post #13070 of 18347 Old 11-13-2013, 11:11 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,304
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post

My apologies in advance, if this has been asked or stated before already and I searched the thread for 'DVD image' but couldn't find anything useful.

Therefore my question: After the last firmware update .img files are not shown in the list of files from the network anymore. Has the industry tightened the 'screws' a bit more again?

Also not really all files are shown, if I use 'Folders' on 'Network' with DLNA or CIFS/SMB. I expected to see all files with CIFS/SMB, which is not the case. I am using the latest public beta.

What is an ".img" file? This: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.img ? I don't remember seeing that or hearing about support for them. What do you use them for?

Just as on local storage, the player displays only file types it recognizes on SMB, not all files.

-Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

wmcclain is offline  
post #13071 of 18347 Old 11-13-2013, 11:12 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,304
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by pqwk50 View Post

Guys, what accounts for this issue?

If the disc is playable at all, wouldn't all players get the same result?

Not at all. Great variety in hardware and software capability.

-Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

wmcclain is offline  
post #13072 of 18347 Old 11-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ganymed4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

What is an ".img" file? This: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.img ? I don't remember seeing that or hearing about support for them. What do you use them for?

Just as on local storage, the player displays only file types it recognizes on SMB, not all files.

-Bill

Well, this is e.g. an image of a DVD. The Oppo used to show and play these files, like a less than 100 $US WD-TV can do. What happened to this function? Gone since last firmware update or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you in advance.

And yes, I am talking about what is explained in the Wikipedia article.
Ganymed4 is offline  
post #13073 of 18347 Old 11-13-2013, 11:38 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,304
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post

Well, this is e.g. an image of a DVD. The Oppo used to show and play these files, like a less than 100 $US WD-TV can do. What happened to this function? Gone since last firmware update or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you in advance.

And yes, I am talking about what is explained in the Wikipedia article.

I never saw it, but then I never had any of those files. In the years I have been reading the OPPO threads, I don't recall a single mention of them.

You don't mean ISO files? They were briefly available on the -93/95, but never on the -103.

-Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

wmcclain is offline  
post #13074 of 18347 Old 11-13-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Neuromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Navigating the Black IC
Posts: 10,960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 172
IMG should not have shown up in the BDP-10x series of players since IMG is just another form an ISO-type backup. Since the BDP-10x series never support 1:1 backups, it would be surprising if this media type showed up in the UI of the player.
Neuromancer is offline  
post #13075 of 18347 Old 11-13-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 1,711
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Agreed, I think he must mean .ISO files. Which are indeed supported by many other makes/models of hardware media players wink.gif

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
post #13076 of 18347 Old 11-13-2013, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ganymed4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Guys, we are talking here about an ISO image file - so we are all right. ISO is the file structure, image is the bit-image of the aforementioned disk structure - standardized by the International Standardization Organization - ISO.

However, may be this is not a very pleasant topic for this thread but at the beginning, the 103 could even play and mount iso images of BDs. eek.gif Now, don't tell me you didn't know this.. Come on...rolleyes.gif

After this function was deleted by pressure from the 'industry' - and it was never documented - this is true - the 103 could mount DVD ISO images made from DVDs. Now it seems it can not anymore. I mean I don't mind, I just wonder about this.

I will find the reference for you, I was discussing this myself with some of you guys. Also don't remember which firmware version it was, must have been in May or June, if I remember correctly. Will find it for you.
Ganymed4 is offline  
post #13077 of 18347 Old 11-13-2013, 12:24 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,304
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Are you sure you're not thinking of the -93, or maybe you've been browsing with some other device?

I always have ISO files on my local storage and network devices and have never seen one appear on the -103.

Could EU firmware be different? If you have links to prior discussions, please post them, because I am honestly not remembering.

Or: are you thinking of the SMB trick of mounting ISO files "loopback", as described in the FAQ: How do you play Blu-ray ISO files over SMB? That's not really ISO file support, and the files will not appear in the browser. The AVCHD directories will, but I haven't tried it in a while.

DVD ISOs? No way.

-Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

wmcclain is offline  
post #13078 of 18347 Old 11-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Jottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a question for Neuro or Bob (or other beta testers who might have some inside info). Now that Netflix is updating its interface across all devices:

See link: http://www.techhive.com/article/2062789/netflix-introduces-a-unified-cinematic-tv-interface.html

What are the chances that we'll see this improved interface WITHOUT having to update our firmware on our 103's? I noticed that when Netflix added profiles to the interface, I didn't have to upgrade my firmware to see the changes. The reason I'm asking
is that I'm sticking with my older firmware that still allows sacd-r playback, and I don't want to lose that ability just to get the better netflix UI.
Jottle is offline  
post #13079 of 18347 Old 11-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ganymed4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holzohr View Post

Good morning gonda.

Playing BD structures is past with the current Beta. I have an AVCHD where I simply copied the BD content into the AVCHD folder. The Oppo now (with the Beta-Firmware) rejects it but it still accepts AVCHD`s that I have created with tsMuxeR. My way is to demux a BD with help of MeGUI, then adding the streams into tsMuxer and choosing "AVCHD".
MeGUI does extract the subtitles in PGS, that I prefer compared with SRT.

I don`t use DVDFab and MultiAVCHD but will give MutiAVCHD a try.


Btw, I was burning a DSD-disc with Korg AudioGate yesterday. The Oppo is (still?) not able to play them frown.gif

And more important the posts before. This was in April, this year. So, what are you talking about what is a .img file and ISO structures. It seems now with the new Beta also playing DVD images is gone.

I mean, this is starting to become really ridicoulos. A WD-TV can do more than the latest Oppo machine, by cutting function after function of this wonderful player step by step by the film industry. mad.gif

Then, it is only a difference by the disk playback. But this would not make the Oppo a buy for me. This is highly disappointing. Sorry to say so.
Ganymed4 is offline  
post #13080 of 18347 Old 11-13-2013, 12:44 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,304
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post

And more important the posts before. This was in April, this year. So, what are you talking about what is a .img file and ISO structures. It seems now with the new Beta also playing DVD images is gone.

I mean, this is starting to become really ridicoulos. A WD-TV can do more than the latest Oppo machine, by cutting function after function of this wonderful player step by step by the film industry. mad.gif

Then, it is only a difference by the disk playback. But this would not make the Oppo a buy for me. This is highly disappointing. Sorry to say so.

You are confused.

There is no mention of ISO or image files above. That has never been available on the -103.

He is talking about BDMV. BDMV folder backups have not been allowed for a long time. It is true, the studios forced that. They run the Blu-ray world.

If the WD-TV serves your needs better, then use it. OPPO is a licensed Blu-ray player manufacturer and cannot violate the licensing rules and stay in business.

-Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

wmcclain is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off