Originally Posted by ghanley
Thank you for the feedback, Bob. Much appreciated. I will certainly investigate the cable. That sounds plausible.
My only concern with your point is that during the blank screen I still have sound. But maybe it's buffered in the receiver and the outage is short enough to compensate for that? When the image returns there is no skip in sequence (the sound and image are still synced like nothing happened).
Blanking picture issues where sound is still present are almost always HDMI related. If you look at the FAQs for many other devices (not just the Oppo), the troubleshooting FAQs include a question about exactly this problem and their solution all start with HDMI/cabling. I know because I went through this with my rig, and several devices had the issues - including my 103. Reengineering my cabling took care of all of it. YMMV, of course.
And don't misinterpret anyone recommending examining cabling as the culprit as any kind of recommendation to go out and spend lots of $$$ on expensive cables. Bob has said it really well in other places. Use high-speed-rated HDMI cables for all connections. Avoid jack plates, L-Adapters, couplers, etc. except where absolutely physically necessary. Wherever possible have exactly one
cable running from source to destination, with the cable ends plugged directly
into each (no L adapters or anything). Keep cables at 6'/2M wherever possible. For longer runs, the previous recommendations become more and more important. You do not have to buy $60 cables to accomplish this.
Most if us have direct connections and not-very-long signal runs between the source components and AVR. It is usually the run/runs to the TV or projector that get long and potentially complex in an installation. You might try starting there.
And don't make the mistake of assuming that because you never had a problem prior to adding device X, that it is device X that is causing your problem now. My rig worked perfectly when I had just my cable box and 103 hooked up with my AVR and TV. I added a Roku 3 and it was a nightmare to get it all to handshake properly but I got it to work - barely. Then I added a Wii U and just about everything stopped working. Unplugging and resetting devices would help somewhat, and things would work intermittently - but it was not a permanent fix. Reengineering the cabling between my TV and AVR and resetting all the devices in question (unplugging) one last time fixed everything, believe it or not. The system has been rock solid since.