Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 442 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #13231 of 17943 Old 11-22-2013, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Didn't notice this on the new beta firmware list, perhaps Neuromancer, Bob or Bill could tell us if a fix evolved in this firmware to fix the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio drop out issues we were having on some of the Disney titles? I know Oppo was working on this, but may not have completed it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13232 of 17943 Old 11-22-2013, 07:52 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post

Didn't notice this on the new beta firmware list, perhaps Neuromancer, Bob or Bill could tell us if a fix evolved in this firmware to fix the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio drop out issues we were having on some of the Disney titles? I know Oppo was working on this, but may not have completed it.

I haven't heard of a fix for that, but I can't test it myself. My audio is player -> TV -> soundbar, which is inherently LPCM, not Bitstream.

-Bill
post #13233 of 17943 Old 11-22-2013, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghanley View Post

Thank you for the feedback, Bob. Much appreciated. I will certainly investigate the cable. That sounds plausible.

My only concern with your point is that during the blank screen I still have sound. But maybe it's buffered in the receiver and the outage is short enough to compensate for that? When the image returns there is no skip in sequence (the sound and image are still synced like nothing happened).

Blanking picture issues where sound is still present are almost always HDMI related. If you look at the FAQs for many other devices (not just the Oppo), the troubleshooting FAQs include a question about exactly this problem and their solution all start with HDMI/cabling. I know because I went through this with my rig, and several devices had the issues - including my 103. Reengineering my cabling took care of all of it. YMMV, of course.

And don't misinterpret anyone recommending examining cabling as the culprit as any kind of recommendation to go out and spend lots of $$$ on expensive cables. Bob has said it really well in other places. Use high-speed-rated HDMI cables for all connections. Avoid jack plates, L-Adapters, couplers, etc. except where absolutely physically necessary. Wherever possible have exactly one cable running from source to destination, with the cable ends plugged directly into each (no L adapters or anything). Keep cables at 6'/2M wherever possible. For longer runs, the previous recommendations become more and more important. You do not have to buy $60 cables to accomplish this.

Most if us have direct connections and not-very-long signal runs between the source components and AVR. It is usually the run/runs to the TV or projector that get long and potentially complex in an installation. You might try starting there.

And don't make the mistake of assuming that because you never had a problem prior to adding device X, that it is device X that is causing your problem now. My rig worked perfectly when I had just my cable box and 103 hooked up with my AVR and TV. I added a Roku 3 and it was a nightmare to get it all to handshake properly but I got it to work - barely. Then I added a Wii U and just about everything stopped working. Unplugging and resetting devices would help somewhat, and things would work intermittently - but it was not a permanent fix. Reengineering the cabling between my TV and AVR and resetting all the devices in question (unplugging) one last time fixed everything, believe it or not. The system has been rock solid since.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-77 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #13234 of 17943 Old 11-22-2013, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I haven't head of a fix for that, but I can't test it myself. My audio is player -> TV -> soundbar, which is inherently LPCM, not Bitstream.

-Bill

Thanks Bill. If I don't read anything on the thread over the next day or so, I'll d/l the beta this weekend and check it out, dropping a note here of what I find one way or the other.
post #13235 of 17943 Old 11-22-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghanley View Post

Thank you for the feedback, Bob. Much appreciated. I will certainly investigate the cable. That sounds plausible.

My only concern with your point is that during the blank screen I still have sound. But maybe it's buffered in the receiver and the outage is short enough to compensate for that? When the image returns there is no skip in sequence (the sound and image are still synced like nothing happened).

Start by looking at the cable from the AVR to TV. But its normal when an HDCP handshake fails to have audio with black screen, that's what its designed to do.
post #13236 of 17943 Old 11-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post

In regards to the Monster's U blu-ray audio drops, the following is from Oppo:

"For many Disney CG animated films you will need to set the player to LPCM instead of Bit Stream. This will resolve your audio dropouts with these titles. We are working with Dolby to see if there is a way that we can make our firmware fix their mastering mistakes, but we do not know when this may occur.

The issue is either the player is outputting an incorrect Bit Stream signal that the receiver partially rejects, or the receiver is misinterpreting the Bit Stream data which is resulting in the dropouts as it decodes it improperly.

This only occurs with Dolby Digital TrueHD soundtracks that use seamless branching. So far, these titles have been primarily CG Disney films.

And this is from Disney:

Thank you for the e-mail. We are concerned about your inquiry and would like an opportunity to address this issue with greater detail. We are currently researching the issues that you are describing.

At this time there is not a disc replacement for the Blu-ray discs. Hopefully this issue will be able to be resolved with a firmware update for the affected Blu-ray players.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to reply to this email. You may also contact us at 1-800-723-4763 (US)/1-888-877-2843 (Canada) Monday 9:30-7:30 and Tuesday through Friday 9:30-6:30 CST.

Deja vu, with respect to Sony's Total Recall disc. Sony did not remaster the disc, Oppo did not update the firmware. Dolby TrueHD strikes again.

(Edit: I can't bitstream lossless audio in my system, so doesn't affect my situation. But nevertheless, this needs to be addressed, there should be no need for a workaround. Regarding Total Recall, my old Panasonic player had issues with the disc even when doing LPCM, so that's why it bugs me still. Via LPCM, Oppos handle the Total Recall disc just fine.)
post #13237 of 17943 Old 11-22-2013, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post

Deja vu, with respect to Sony's Total Recall disc. Sony did not remaster the disc, Oppo did not update the firmware. Dolby TrueHD strikes again.

(Edit: I can't bitstream lossless audio in my system, so doesn't affect my situation. But nevertheless, this needs to be addressed, there should be no need for a workaround. Regarding Total Recall, my old Panasonic player had issues with the disc even when doing LPCM, so that's why it bugs me still. Via LPCM, Oppos handle the Total Recall disc just fine.)

The audio track on the extended version of Total Recall doesn't even work right on the legacy track bitstreamed over coax or optical, which is completely asinine. That disc should have had an exchange program for sure.

post #13238 of 17943 Old 11-22-2013, 03:34 PM

Liked: 13
Does anyone know if Netflix has pushed its new "cinematic" UI updates to our players yet?
post #13239 of 17943 Old 11-22-2013, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jottle View Post

Does anyone know if Netflix has pushed its new "cinematic" UI updates to our players yet?

No, if I get your meaning. (Like PS4 app)

I now have 4 bloody devices with different versions of a Netflix app. smile.gif
post #13240 of 17943 Old 11-22-2013, 06:26 PM

Liked: 10
Can anyone recommend a USB hub that they know is supported by the 103?

I am trying to connect three 4TB Seagate USB drives to my 103. I have tried two different USB hubs. One a high end USB 3.0 model by Anker and the second an el cheapo USB 2.0 hub.

In both cases, I get a "not supported" message on the 103 home page.

Any advice or recommendations greatly appreciated.
post #13241 of 17943 Old 11-22-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

7. Added the support for MKV file with PGS subtitle.

This is a welcome surprise.

Quote:
11. Resolved a frame rate decoding error for 24Hz video files. Customers reported that after upgrading to BDP10X-58-0917 firmware, many MKV, M2TS and TS files which were 23.976Hz were decoded as 29.970Hz. This issue has resolved.

smile.gif
post #13242 of 17943 Old 11-22-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I just found that the Auto Play setting now applies to Blu-ray discs. This is new, right? Am I crazy?

This resolves one of my biggest annoyances. I watch a lot of TV series on Blu-ray, and I leave the disc in the tray until I'm finished with that disc's episodes. I've always hated having to hit Stop or Home repeatedly to halt playback before using Netflix.

Please tell me this is intentional and not a bug smile.gif
post #13243 of 17943 Old 11-22-2013, 07:24 PM

Liked: 27
^^^I think that's been there for a while now, if not the whole time...

Turn it up!
post #13244 of 17943 Old 11-22-2013, 07:40 PM

Liked: 12
The new beta firmware has bricked my wireless connection and will not connect to myt Wifi anymore and keeps generating an IP that I have never seen. It also will not let me revert back to previous firmware?? Anyone have a clue what to do?

Thanks!!
post #13245 of 17943 Old 11-22-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbHHH View Post

Can anyone recommend a USB hub that they know is supported by the 103?

I am trying to connect three 4TB Seagate USB drives to my 103. I have tried two different USB hubs. One a high end USB 3.0 model by Anker and the second an el cheapo USB 2.0 hub.

In both cases, I get a "not supported" message on the 103 home page.

Any advice or recommendations greatly appreciated.

Some hubs will generate that message if connected with no HDD attached. I'd suggest using a powered hub in any case, leave a HDD attached and power cycle the player a couple times, see if that message clears.
post #13246 of 17943 Old 11-22-2013, 08:25 PM

Location: Outside the City limits of Hagertown MD. On the WV side of the Potomac River. With the C&O Canal to ride bikes on.
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Why wait weeks (if not months) for fixes when you can take advantage of them now and when you have the ability to reverse the firmware if you need to? There is absolutely no reason to not try the Beta Firmware.
Since I am new to oppo, just bought the 103 several months ago so I do not know the company but in the past Beta software was for people that were willing to help trouble shoot a new version. I have had a pre pro messed up using Beta so that is why I questioned the use of Beta software. It may be with the great gear they sell that this may not be the case but I may wait a few weeks to see how things go.
post #13247 of 17943 Old 11-22-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djPerfectTrip View Post

^^^I think that's been there for a while now, if not the whole time...

Definitely wasn't the case with the 83 or 93, and I'm pretty sure the 103 didn't have it at launch either. Whenever it happened, it's a welcome change.
post #13248 of 17943 Old 11-22-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman84 View Post

Quote:

Why wait weeks (if not months) for fixes when you can take advantage of them now and when you have the ability to reverse the firmware if you need to? There is absolutely no reason to not try the Beta Firmware.
Since I am new to oppo, just bought the 103 several months ago so I do not know the company but in the past Beta software was for people that were willing to help trouble shoot a new version. I have had a pre pro messed up using Beta so that is why I questioned the use of Beta software. It may be with the great gear they sell that this may not be the case but I may wait a few weeks to see how things go.
Neuromancer and several others who contribute to the OPPO threads are Beta testers, but those firmware versions are not released to the public. When a beta version is announced here it's intended for the public. Of course it's up to you if you choose to go with a public beta release.

I started reading the OPPO threads before the first Blu-ray OPPO (83) was released. Occasionally a specific feature has been effected. It's usually something that a lot of people don't use, or otherwise it would have been caught before the public release. I think this is the first beta that is reversible since Netflix was added. I imagine it's intended to address the possibility of a feature failure. I don't think there has ever been a serious problem with the players themselves attributed to firmware.
post #13249 of 17943 Old 11-22-2013, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post

I just found that the Auto Play setting now applies to Blu-ray discs. This is new, right? Am I crazy?

This resolves one of my biggest annoyances. I watch a lot of TV series on Blu-ray, and I leave the disc in the tray until I'm finished with that disc's episodes. I've always hated having to hit Stop or Home repeatedly to halt playback before using Netflix.

This is new. I like this feature also as I tend to put a disc in the player to watch later and this way I do not have to wait around to stop playback. If I use eject from power off to insert a disc and then use the power off button the disc tray stays out as the player does not boot up quickly enough to close the tray on its own, Yes, I could eject and then close the tray and power off.

Anyway, I think the feature will stay. It makes sense since you can now boot up to an input. And you might notice the description of the feature at the bottom of the screen has been changed and now states disc whereas before it was more specific.
post #13250 of 17943 Old 11-23-2013, 02:59 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post

It is intentional, and you get a Cookie for spotting it!

Same for SD-DVD discs.

With Auto Play OFF, if you power up while a disc is in the Tray, or close the Tray using the Tray Close button, the disc will load but not start playing. Use Play button to start playback.

If you close the Tray using the Play button, the disc will BOTH load AND start playing.

As before, Auto Resume remains a separate setting controlling where playback starts if you play a previously played disc.

(Hidden Improvements: Collect Them All!)
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #13251 of 17943 Old 11-23-2013, 03:08 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

. . . . I think this is the first beta that is reversible since Netflix was added. I imagine it's intended to address the possibility of a feature failure.
. . . .

The scheme for a while now has been that Public Beta firmware allows rollback to the most recent, prior, Official firmware, but not earlier. Official firmware still has to prohibit rollback to any earlier version (due to contractual limitations).

Just as Public Beta installs have to be done via USB stick or burned disc (i.e., not available via direct, over the Internet install), a rollback to the prior Official firmware ALSO has to be done via USB stick or burned disc. Instructions are on the Support page at OPPO Digital for each player.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #13252 of 17943 Old 11-23-2013, 03:14 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthkringle View Post

The new beta firmware has bricked my wireless connection and will not connect to myt Wifi anymore and keeps generating an IP that I have never seen. It also will not let me revert back to previous firmware?? Anyone have a clue what to do?

Thanks!!

Did you do the Recommended Reset on the first power up after the firmware install?

If not, go into Setup > Device Setup and do a Reset Factory Defaults now, then power cycle the player and try again with your Wifi setup.

If still no luck with the Wifi, try power cycling your Wifi base-station / router, so that it can discard what it thinks is going on with the OPPO and start afresh.

You can roll back to the prior, Official, 0719 firmware. To do that you will need to download the file from the OPPO Digital site and do the install via USB stick.
--Bob

post #13253 of 17943 Old 11-23-2013, 03:15 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jottle View Post

Note yet. They posted that they are rolling it out over a period of weeks.
--Bob

post #13254 of 17943 Old 11-23-2013, 03:22 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex22 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex22 View Post

This beta broke the iPad Media Control app. It used to be finicky, although had been working better as of late, but now it does not work at all. Will try to reinstall the firmware, but the first time I reinstalled the beta, the player would not shut down and froze. Formating my USB drive now and will re-download and start again. Hopefully my OPPO is not bricked.

Reinstalling didn't work, and the OPPO will not let me revert to the current non-Beta firmware.

I've contacted OPPO support. Hopefully they have an easy fix.

I realize you got your problem fixed when the new version of the iPad app got posted, but I wanted to address your second point of not being able to roll back the firmware.

The 1120B Public Beta firmware should allow you to roll back to the Official 0719 firmware, but no other version. To do that you need to download the file from the OPPO web site and install via USB stick. I.e., Internet install will not be available for the rollback.

Are you saying that did not work for you?
--Bob

post #13255 of 17943 Old 11-23-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Bob,

I just upgraded to the new beta firmware, previously I was using the last official release. I have one WAV file and would like to experiment with gapless playback. I have a MAC running the newest OS X. My problem is I have been using the PS Media server for awhile. When I select Network on the home screen of my 103 and scroll down past PS Media Server and go to where it has my first name than MAC I open that and it has picture, videos, music and once I open that it asks for my username and password. Now as crazy as this sounds where would I find or set up this info. I have already tried my name which my MAC is registered with along with my login password but it does not work, I get login failed please verify. I can't seem to find what I may be doing wrong or something I never set up. Thanks.

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #13256 of 17943 Old 11-23-2013, 07:30 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Did you do the Recommended Reset on the first power up after the firmware install?

If not, go into Setup > Device Setup and do a Reset Factory Defaults now, then power cycle the player and try again with your Wifi setup.

If still no luck with the Wifi, try power cycling your Wifi base-station / router, so that it can discard what it thinks is going on with the OPPO and start afresh.

You can roll back to the prior, Official, 0719 firmware. To do that you will need to download the file from the OPPO Digital site and do the install via USB stick.
--Bob
Thanks Bob. I was trying to roll back

Bob- Thanks I was trying to roll back to the wrong previous version (The official one on the 103 site as opposed to the official one on the 103D site) which is apparently the latest for the 103/`05 as well. That worked, fixed wifi, then I reinstalled the new beta again and all seems good. Thanks for the great value you provide this thread.
post #13257 of 17943 Old 11-23-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post

Bob,

I just upgraded to the new beta firmware, previously I was using the last official release. I have one WAV file and would like to experiment with gapless playback. I have a MAC running the newest OS X. My problem is I have been using the PS Media server for awhile. When I select Network on the home screen of my 103 and scroll down past PS Media Server and go to where it has my first name than MAC I open that and it has picture, videos, music and once I open that it asks for my username and password. Now as crazy as this sounds where would I find or set up this info. I have already tried my name which my MAC is registered with along with my login password but it does not work, I get login failed please verify. I can't seem to find what I may be doing wrong or something I never set up. Thanks.

Mac implementation of SMB (from lion onwards) will not work with media players. If you want to use SMB on a mac with your Oppo then use SMBup.
post #13258 of 17943 Old 11-23-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

I posted some tips on the new, Gapless Playback experimental feature in the 103D thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492940/official-oppo-bdp-103d-darbee-edition-owners-thread/1260#post_23981358

--Bob

I'm going to post this here rather than the 103D thread, because the 103 is what I have.

I have been anxiously (and patiently) waiting, and was at first thrilled that "experimental" gapless playback support was added - then disappointed when I saw it only works for WAV and APE files. I have all of my lossless audio files in FLAC, like I suspect most people do, and redundantly in ALAC since my iPod doesn't support FLAC.

Now I'm faced with converting everything to yet another format.

I gave up on using WAV awhile back partly due to the storage requirements, but mainly due to the poor metadata support. I knew nothing about APE until I just read up on it, but it's not encouraging - encoding/decoding is very slow, it's not strictly-speaking open source, and it's future development and support doesn't look promising. So I'm baffled as to why Oppo choose that as its lossless format of choice (other than WAV) over FLAC. I must be missing something.

Bob, what format are you using, and how well is it working with the beta FW? Before I undertake the substantial effort of converting my files yet again...

Thanks,

- Mark
post #13259 of 17943 Old 11-23-2013, 08:38 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ My recommendation would be that you be patient for a while longer, rather than converting your FLAC files yet.

Or if you want to experiment now, just convert a few albums to WAV to play around with.

The choice of WAV was just to keep things simple while the engineers were sorting through the difficulties of getting Gapless to work at all.

OPPO is fully aware that people also want FLAC file support for this.
--Bob

post #13260 of 17943 Old 11-23-2013, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just updated from the most recent official firmware to the latest beta (with settings reset). Now my media files' playback is delayed by 4-5 seconds. Both audio and video so I have to hit the skip back to re-start playback from the beginning. This was NOT an issue in the official firmware prior to updating. I reported it to Oppo and wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing? I'm connected to my TV and Oppo audio is set to LPCM.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page